PDA

View Full Version : Mixu Has Taken 23 Points From His Last 10 Games.

Speedway
04-01-2011, 10:58 AM
With crowds of 5-6,000 and a small playing budget. He has signed a dynamite playmaker, a Chelsea left back and got 'poor' players performing. They are now 4th in the table.

At Hibs however, he was Mixup, the tactically clueless Fat Finn Clown according to a huge number on here.

Would Hibs be sitting fourth today if he was still here?

If not, why not?

half.time.draw.
04-01-2011, 11:03 AM
With crowds of 5-6,000 and a small playing budget. He has signed a dynamite playmaker, a Chelsea left back and got 'poor' players performing. They are now 4th in the table.

At Hibs however, he was Mixup, the tactically clueless Fat Finn Clown according to a huge number on here.

If not, why not?

Not with this bunch of players we wouldnt, there is something inherantly wrong behind closed doors It seems.

Phil D. Rolls
04-01-2011, 11:03 AM

If not, why not?

Here we go again......

Probably not as, by his own admission, Mixu wasn't ready for the Hibs job when he got it. What we are seeing at Killie is the result of the time he took to reflect after leaving Hibs.

BEEJ
04-01-2011, 11:06 AM
To me the key question is slightly different.

Why did Mixu not have the same impact at Hibs during his first six months at Easter Road?

Had he done so I would argue he would have been given much more time at the helm.

Be interesting to see how Killie move on from here with the Chelsea LB having played his last game for them and with Eremenko likely to leave this month.

CentreLine
04-01-2011, 11:06 AM
After witnessing all the blame culture on this site and on the terracing hounding him out from the club he loves I personally am delighted that Mixu is doing so well with a fraction of the resources at Killi. It also reinforces for me the location for the true problem at Easter Road being the players’ attitude. I hope that Yogi goes on to have similar success elsewhere.

I cannot believe the amount of rubbish I see on here directing blame at manager/management of our club. We have a bunch of players who appear to be incapable of working with any style of management and I am delighted that CC has 16 players he can see off the premises by the summer if he wants to. I likes what CC had to say at the follow-up to the AGM when he commented that he would not tolerate players who disrespect the jersey or the club and it will be interesting to see just who is left of that 16 by the start of next season.

bighairyfaeleith
04-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Here we go again......

Probably not as, by his own admission, Mixu wasn't ready for the Hibs job when he got it. What we are seeing at Killie is the result of the time he took to reflect after leaving Hibs.

Well said, also, Hibs is a club he loves and managing it added extra pressure that a normal job like killie doesn't give him. I think ultimately this was a factor in the problems with Hughes as well.

I'd love to manage hibs, but I know the pressure of seeing my team lose with me as manager would break me as well.

Speedway
04-01-2011, 11:08 AM

Why did Mixu not have the same impact at Hibs during his first six months at Easter Road?

Had he done so I would argue he would have been given much more time at the helm.

Be interesting to see how Killie move on from here with the Chelsea LB having played his last game for them and with Eremenko likely to leave this month.

I believe he's signed some Czech left back as a replacement.

Not looking to trialists, not saying he's happy with what he's got, pre-identified and signed a replacement ofa reasonable calibre (for killie)

Didn't do that for us.

Greenblood70
04-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Here we go again......

Mixu also made reference to the fact he inherited a squad on long contracts in an article I read which he felt hamstrung him in being able to bring in his own players at Hibs. The situation wass different at Killie he intimated and he is able to use his budget much more freely.

Hopefully we'll start to see a similar change in fortune post January and especially after the Summer window when Calderwood starts to shape his own squad.

Peevemor
04-01-2011, 11:10 AM

If not, why not?

Possibly - Mixu had us well up the league at the corresponding time of his final (and only full) season. However in the 19 games played from the beginning of January to the end of the season we only won 4, with 2 of those wins coming against St Mirren and Hamilton. Okay, the other 2 were against Hearts, but they were very poor that season (though they still gubbed us in the cup).

Speedway
04-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Here we go again......

Therefore the massive upturn currently seen at Hibs must be due to CC's reflection having got the elbow at Forest? (a big club with big resources compared to Hibs)

Kevvy1875
04-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Things have worked out well for Mixu at Killie. We cannot afford to look back...no point.

I do hope all those who called Mixu 'our manager' 'Mixup' 'Bufoon' and all the other insults now feel a wee bit sheepish. Mixu was never truly awful at Hibs...he did make us hard to beat and don't forget he never lost in the league to the Yams. Should have been given more time IMO and said that at the time. However.....the board had a decision to make and they made it. What really rankled me was the abuse he got from Hibs supporters with very short memories. Nothing wrong with saying Mixu should go or Mixu is not the man for the job etc....but some of the personal abuse was shocking. I read some of the stuff on here and it was embarrassing.

Well done Mixu, A lovely guy. Hope it works out for you(apart from when playing the cabbage of course)

Bad Martini
04-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Mixu's inability to make the correct tactical changes blighted his time here as Manager.

He probably done something radical and LEARNED from his mistakes. He's a good guy, doesn't seem unable to learn and thus perhaps, just maybe, he's taken what he picked up and done something with it.

Like most people at most things, he's learning as he goes. Killie are benefiting from this...equally, there's a million other things you can throw into the equation to say why things are going x for Killie and y for us....

What was obvious to even Stevie Wonder was, as things stood, Mixu was going nowhere here. Simples. Now he's gone, I wish him all the best. Nothing more to it than that. He tried it, it didn'y work out...we move on.

A bigger concern to me is how many points WE take from our next 5 games!

BEEJ
04-01-2011, 11:15 AM

Not looking to trialists, not saying he's happy with what he's got, pre-identified and signed a replacement ofa reasonable calibre (for killie)

Didn't do that for us.
Who has?

Still keeping my fingers crossed that we'll see that kind of evidently planned signing activity early in this window; but it's not typical of us.

And therein lies the key problem. Mixu acquired as a last-minute LB for us the likes of Zarabi - but with time and greater flexibility he can bring in a promising Chelsea player on loan for that position at Rugby Park.

And I'll bet the Czech player will be better than Zarabi as well. :greengrin

ginger_rice
04-01-2011, 11:15 AM
After witnessing all the blame culture on this site and on the terracing hounding him out from the club he loves I personally am delighted that Mixu is doing so well with a fraction of the resources at Killi. It also reinforces for me the location for the true problem at Easter Road being the players’ attitude. I hope that Yogi goes on to have similar success elsewhere.

I cannot believe the amount of rubbish I see on here directing blame at manager/management of our club. We have a bunch of players who appear to be incapable of working with any style of management and I am delighted that CC has 16 players he can see off the premises by the summer if he wants to. I likes what CC had to say at the follow-up to the AGM when he commented that he would not tolerate players who disrespect the jersey or the club and it will be interesting to see just who is left of that 16 by the start of next season.

It's pretty obvious that there is something wrong in the attitude of the playing staff, apart from Ibrox they have never shown that they WANT to play for any manager never mind CC. Look at how they revolted when JC tried to turn them into a group of players who acted like athletes.

smurf
04-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Has Mixu had a Colin Nish or John Rankin signed on behalf of him at Killie?

BEEJ
04-01-2011, 11:18 AM
It's pretty obvious that there is something wrong in the attitude of the playing staff, apart from Ibrox they have never shown that they WANT to play for any manager never mind CC. Look at how they revolted when JC tried to turn them into a group of players who acted like athletes.
These are not the same players. Only four remain from the CIS final in 2007.

Speedway
04-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Mixu also made reference to the fact he inherited a squad on long contracts in an article I read which he felt hamstrung him in being able to bring in his own players at Hibs. The situation wass different at Killie he intimated and he is able to use his budget much more freely.

Hopefully we'll start to see a similar change in fortune post January and especially after the Summer window when Calderwood starts to shape his own squad.

It's an interesting subject when you think that he brought in:

Rosa
Monk
Pinau
Keenan
Thicot
Rankin
Nish
Murray
Riordan
Bamba
Van Zanten

That's a full team off the top of my head. There may be more.

Mixu's inability to make the correct tactical changes blighted his time here as Manager.

He probably done something radical and LEARNED from his mistakes. He's a good guy, doesn't seem unable to learn and thus perhaps, just maybe, he's taken what he picked up and done something with it.

Like most people at most things, he's learning as he goes. Killie are benefiting from this...equally, there's a million other things you can throw into the equation to say why things are going x for Killie and y for us....

What was obvious to even Stevie Wonder was, as things stood, Mixu was going nowhere here. Simples. Now he's gone, I wish him all the best. Nothing more to it than that. He tried it, it didn'y work out...we move on.

A bigger concern to me is how many points WE take from our next 5 games!

Tactically inept at Hibs but adept at Killie?

Collins, Mixu, Hughes and now CC are all accused on here as being tactically inept.

Do we make that a requisite skill of any successful applicant?

down the slope
04-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Aye , that was a strange one and i think these two were foisted on him by the board who were playing football manager after we got rid of Collins , the whole sorry episode was never explained but what's new ?.

BEEJ
04-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Good question.

The reality is that in January 2008 with the transfer window closing fast Mixu had little alternative but to accept these players on RP's recommendation. And accepting those deals would have taken up some of his available player budget anyway.

ginger_rice
04-01-2011, 11:27 AM
These are not the same players. Only four remain from the CIS final in 2007.

Agree, however what I meant was that this appears to be a long running attitude problem with our playing staff.....go right back to the mid '70s and you could find many of our stars in Jingling Geordies on an afternoon!

Albion Hibs
04-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Tactically inept at Hibs but adept at Killie?

Collins, Mixu, Hughes and now CC are all accused on here as being tactically inept.

Do we make that a requisite skill of any successful applicant?

No. I think that is just how we as hibs "fans" like to speak of our former players that try to do there best for the club we moving to management.

Your missed Frank off that list, another former player / manager we are likely never to see again at Easter Road.

Peevemor
04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Aye , that was a strange one and i think these two were foisted on him by the board who were playing football manager after we got rid of Collins , the whole sorry episode was never explained but what's new ?.

Good question.

The reality is that in January 2008 with the transfer window closing fast Mixu had little alternative but to accept these players on RP's recommendation. And accepting those deals would have taken up some of his available player budget anyway.

Was there not a (slight) delay in signing Nish because Mixu wanted to see him play? IIRC people were moaning on here as he was cup-tied because of this.

Sounds to me like he made his own mind up.

BEEJ
04-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Was there not a (slight) delay in signing Nish because Mixu wanted to see him play? IIRC people were moaning on here as he was cup-tied because of this.

Mixu had to be seen to be exerting his own influence.

The reality, however, would have been that he would have to have had very good reasons for going against the recommendations of RP so early in the job. In my opinion it was a fait accompli.

M11BMO
04-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Maybe he's progressing as a manager. Perhaps learnt from mistakes or changed his ways... who knows!?

clerriehibs
04-01-2011, 11:37 AM

If not, why not?

Fans' forums are b their nature divisive, negative and poisonous ... for the good of our club, we could voluntarily not do forums and only only do positive things re Hibs, i.e. get along to the matches!

aberhibsfc
04-01-2011, 11:37 AM
A Hibs legend, I wish him every success. Oan yersel Mixu!!!

Certainly shows Jeffries up for the pudding he is, Killie we're going no where under FJK.

smurf
04-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Good question.

So having undermined Cup Winning manager Collins by inviting the players behind his back down to his East Lothian house...

RP dismissed JC's advice on Rankin and foisted him on his next.

And we are told RP has nothing at all to do with the shambles we are today?

Mixu praised Rod in recent interviews but alluded I thought to some interesting things in terms of his actual control in the ER hotseat....

smurf
04-01-2011, 11:41 AM

The deal was all but done. Mixu had to 'decide' on the strength of one game.

All part of the learning process eh Mixu...

Peevemor
04-01-2011, 11:42 AM
The deal was all but done. Mixu had to 'decide' on the strength of one game.

All part of the learning process eh Mixu...

So RP didn't sign him then?

smurf
04-01-2011, 11:43 AM
So RP didn't sign him then?

You could say that.

I wouldn't.

Kaiser1962
04-01-2011, 11:49 AM

what a load of pish

500miles
04-01-2011, 11:50 AM
If the fans had given Mixu time, he would have grown into the position of Hibs manager. As things were, he was doing a passable job in the meantime, and was looking to the future, with his scouting radar mainly focussing on youngsters with potential. Some people at the time said that he would just never learn, but clearly he is. The fact is, the Hibs fans had no idea what Mixu was really about. He wasn't a hoofball merchant, his "Direct" style of play was all about getting the ball up the channels quickly, and turning defence into attack in the blink of an eye. However, we just didn't have the players available at the time.

Look at the players he signed. How many of them could be called hoofball merchants? Derek Riordan? John Rankin? Joe Keenan? Players of varying quality, but none of them suited to the long ball game. The fans took the opinions of players like Benji - who's wasted talent and self aggrandizing fantasies show that he is a tool - and used them as weapons.
Look at Yantorno. He should have been a quality signing. Mixu saw that, but couldn't have seen how injuries would hold him back.

However, as with all managers at this level, you are subject to the players available at the time. Mixu got some good players, some OK players, and some poor players. Some of those who we consider to be poor players in this squad, performed better under Mixu. For me, Zemmama played some of his best football for the short time he was at Hibs with Mixu.

At the end of the day, Mixu was no friend of the fans forum. From petty namecalling, to someone taking the huff because he wouldn't buy a duck after a bad day at the office, his push from the managers job is, to me, evidence of the influence of forums like this, just like the boos aimed at Liam Miller based on messageboard rumours.

The fans have to shoulder some of the blame for Mixu's resignation, and the damage that yet more transition caused. A lot of us fans deserve exactly what we are getting right now.

Kaiser1962
04-01-2011, 11:52 AM
So having undermined Cup Winning manager Collins by inviting the players behind his back down to his East Lothian house...

RP dismissed JC's advice on Rankin and foisted him on his next.

And we are told RP has nothing at all to do with the shambles we are today?

Mixu praised Rod in recent interviews but alluded I thought to some interesting things in terms of his actual control in the ER hotseat....

Really? And who told you that?

Kaiser1962
04-01-2011, 11:58 AM
You could say that.

I wouldn't.

You post like you where actually there. By what your posting you are saying that RP decided to sign Nish and Rankin (in Rankins case you state AGAINST JC.s advice) and when JC left RP carried on with the signings and Mixu then had to take them both and had no say whatsovever? Is that right?

H18sry
04-01-2011, 12:03 PM

If not, why not?

He tried to sign Eremenko for us but he was not allowed, as he had been given a £500,000 budget for new players but the signing of Eremenko was going to take up over £300,000, Source I hear you ask :wink: Ex member of Hibs coaching team :wink:

Speedway
04-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Smurf, your board agenda does get on my dollies but I have to agree with you here. Neither player was identified by Mixu.

If the fans had given Mixu time, he would have grown into the position of Hibs manager. As things were, he was doing a passable job in the meantime, and was looking to the future, with his scouting radar mainly focussing on youngsters with potential. Some people at the time said that he would just never learn, but clearly he is. The fact is, the Hibs fans had no idea what Mixu was really about. He wasn't a hoofball merchant, his "Direct" style of play was all about getting the ball up the channels quickly, and turning defence into attack in the blink of an eye. However, we just didn't have the players available at the time.

Look at the players he signed. How many of them could be called hoofball merchants? Derek Riordan? John Rankin? Joe Keenan? Players of varying quality, but none of them suited to the long ball game. The fans took the opinions of players like Benji - who's wasted talent and self aggrandizing fantasies show that he is a tool - and used them as weapons.
Look at Yantorno. He should have been a quality signing. Mixu saw that, but couldn't have seen how injuries would hold him back.

However, as with all managers at this level, you are subject to the players available at the time. Mixu got some good players, some OK players, and some poor players. Some of those who we consider to be poor players in this squad, performed better under Mixu. For me, Zemmama played some of his best football for the short time he was at Hibs with Mixu.

At the end of the day, Mixu was no friend of the fans forum. From petty namecalling, to someone taking the huff because he wouldn't buy a duck after a bad day at the office, his push from the managers job is, to me, evidence of the influence of forums like this, just like the boos aimed at Liam Miller based on messageboard rumours.

The fans have to shoulder some of the blame for Mixu's resignation, and the damage that yet more transition caused. A lot of us fans deserve exactly what we are getting right now.

In all my years on .net I have not agreed with a post more than this one. (other than my own)

You post like you where actually there. By what your posting you are saying that RP decided to sign Nish and Rankin (in Rankins case you state AGAINST JC.s advice) and when JC left RP carried on with the signings and Mixu then had to take them both and had no say whatsovever? Is that right?

Far be it from me to answer on behalf of Mr. The Smurf but even I have read Collins saying he refused Rankin and Mixu's take on signing Nish. Smurf is right and I think he's quoting the manager's themselves in later interviews.

Kaiser1962
04-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Far be it from me to answer on behalf of Mr. The Smurf but even I have read Collins saying he refused Rankin and Mixu's take on signing Nish. Smurf is right and I think he's quoting the manager's themselves in later interviews.

Not what the man himself told me. He felt that Rankin was an excellent example of how a professional should behave and hoped that his lifestyle would rub off on some of the others.

Mind you he also told me that O'Brien was "great, we've not seen the best of him yet." and that he "will make the club millions"

Cropley10
04-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Didn't do that for us.

But, but.... we pay the fourth highest wages in the Division. He was 'backed' in the transfer market. etc. etc. etc.

smurf
04-01-2011, 12:18 PM
what a load of pish

Except that its not.:wink:

Cropley10
04-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Not what the man himself told me. He felt that Rankin was an excellent example of how a professional should behave and hoped that his lifestyle would rub off on some of the others.

Mind you he also told me that O'Brien was "great, we've not seen the best of him yet." and that he "will make the club millions"

How would JC know this exactly?? Are you saying Collins wanted to sign Rankin but left before it could be done as Rankin was signed on Jan 18th - about a month after Collins left. So having been indentified by JC he was then signed by MP. Seems a bit odd.

The Harp
04-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Seems to me that the difference between Mixu's time in the ER hot seat and his management of Killie is down to the time he spent visiting clubs abroad after he left us to see how their managers/coaches operated. I've no doubt if he'd done this studying prior to getting the Hibs job, it would be us up there instead of Killie.
Jock Stein did similar in his early managerial days when he went to Italy to learn the techniques employed by Helenio Herrera. It didn't do Stein any harm and hopefully it'll do the same for big Mixu. I certainly hope so.

Kaiser1962
04-01-2011, 12:26 PM
How would JC know this exactly?? Are you saying Collins wanted to sign Rankin but left before it could be done as Rankin was signed on Jan 18th - about a month after Collins left. So having been indentified by JC he was then signed by MP. Seems a bit odd.

Just saying that the original poster said that JC advised RP against his signing and that was not what he told me.

Cropley10
04-01-2011, 12:27 PM
He tried to sign Eremenko for us but he was not allowed, as he had been given a £500,000 budget for new players but the signing of Eremenko was going to take up over £300,000, Source I hear you ask :wink: Ex member of Hibs coaching team :wink:

Did we post a profit though that year, when the accounts were published?? :dunno:

Kaiser1962
04-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Except that its not.:wink:

So whats your source? I've named mine.

500miles
04-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Smurf, your board agenda does get on my dollies but I have to agree with you here. Neither player was identified by Mixu.

I thought that Nish was a Collins target, and the deal was just about done when Mixu came in. Mixu then waited - resulting in Nish becoming cup-tied - to see what he wanted, and gave the deal the green light? In fact, was that not actually what Mixu said the case was shortly after Colin signed? I'm almost certain that was part of the press release when Nish signed.... but i've been wrong before.

smurf
04-01-2011, 12:36 PM
So whats your source? I've named mine.

My source is John Collins himself on BBC Radio Scotland.

Said John Rankin was put to him by Rod Petrie.

Speedway
04-01-2011, 12:38 PM
I thought that Nish was a Collins target, and the deal was just about done when Mixu came in. Mixu then waited - resulting in Nish becoming cup-tied - to see what he wanted, and gave the deal the green light? In fact, was that not actually what Mixu said the case was shortly after Colin signed? I'm almost certain that was part of the press release when Nish signed.... but i've been wrong before.

Therefore Nish wasn't identified by Mixu.

Just like Galbraith was and Yogi allowed it.

Cropley10
04-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Therefore Nish wasn't identified by Mixu.

Just like Galbraith was and Yogi allowed it.

So Collins identified Nishy.

And Mixu identified Galbraith.

Or is there a suggestion it's 'someone else' :whistle:

BEEJ
04-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Just saying that the original poster said that JC advised RP against his signing and that was not what he told me.
Sounds like you're putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.

Once his successor had (apparently) signed Rankin, JC would have accentuated the positive. And the player's fitness and professionalism could be counted among those positive attributes.

That is not the same as saying that JC would have selected Rankin for his own squad. JC has gone on record as saying that he turned down that option at least once.

smurf
04-01-2011, 12:46 PM

Who in the summer 2004 extended Grant Brebner for three years? Only for the next management appointment to smell.... and promptly dispense?

Speedway
04-01-2011, 12:46 PM

The suggestion is that managers are being 'encouraged' by 'someone' to sign players that they didn't identify.

500miles
04-01-2011, 12:48 PM

The bit in bold seems to be the sinister suggestion that Smurf is putting forward.
Managers picking up on targets of the previous regime doesn't seem at all sinister to me, as long as they get the green light.
In fact, one of the first things Yogi done was block 2 of Mixu's signings - Benjelloune and the laddie who went to Partick.

The Rankin situation seems strange, but since the other two have fair explaination, I don't see what the issue is. Perhaps the agent approaching Hibs, RP making Rankins availibility know to JC, and then to Mixu. If that was the case, I don't know why we're trying to make it sound sinister.

col02
04-01-2011, 12:50 PM
At Killie I am sure there will be less expectation from the support or board placed upon the manager and team. I have only seen Killie play a couple times since Mixu took over but what I have seen is a team playing with a certain amount of freedom while also being well enough organised at the back and this shows in their good run of form as they are a better team than Hearts to watch. I wish the big man all the best as he was far too nice a guy to face some of the disgusting personal abuse that some people on here and at games felt he deserved.

smurf
The suggestion is that managers are being 'encouraged' by 'someone' to sign players that they didn't identify.

Indeed.

And is the manager of Hibernian either;

A, Asked to submit a specific target for a specific position

or

B, Asked to submit a wish list of targets for all positions.

I'm under the impression that it is B and that sometimes we are seeing a player signed that was not anywhere near the top of the wish list.

If this is the case i wonder what is the boards criteria.

Also if this is the case i would say that in modern football its not that unusual but the evidence would suggest Rodders is failing....

Cropley10
Who in the summer 2004 extended Grant Brebner for three years? Only for the next management appointment to smell.... and promptly dispense?

Can I have a 50/50 or do I get to 'phone a friend?

Thanks for clarifying the 'suggestion'...

500miles
04-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Probably on the advice of the outgoing Williamson. On top of that, was Brebner not captain at the time? So RP signs him up. New manager turns up, bins him, with RP's support.

You seem to be suggesting some sort of Romanov type interference here, but unless the manager is constantly being told, you cannot play him, or you must play him, I don't see the issue.

Phil D. Rolls
04-01-2011, 12:52 PM
At Killie I am sure there will be less expectation from the support or board placed upon the manager and team. I have only seen Killie play a couple times since Mixu took over but what I have seen is a team playing with a certain amount of freedom while also being well enough organised at the back and this shows in their good run of form as they are a better team than Hearts to watch. I wish the big man all the best as he was far too nice a guy to face some of the disgusting personal abuse that some people on here and at games felt he deserved.

Dry yer eyes.

Cropley10
04-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Indeed.

And is the manager of Hibernian either;

A, Asked to submit a specific target for a specific position

or

B, Asked to submit a wish list of targets for all positions.

I'm under the impression that it is B and that sometimes we are seeing a player signed that was not anywhere near the top of the wish list.

If this is the case i wonder what is the boards criteria.

Also if this is the case i would say that in modern football its not that unusual but the evidence would suggest Rodders is failing....

The main priority is to balance the books and post a profit. Something we've done in 6 straight years...

Saorsa
04-01-2011, 12:53 PM
The main priority is to balance the books and post a profit. Something we've done in 6 straight years........wonder how they'll do it this time, there's nowt left tae sell...

col02
04-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Dry yer eyes.

Aye ok then! What makes you think you have a right to spout your opinion but put down others?

Cropley10
04-01-2011, 12:55 PM
The bit in bold seems to be the sinister suggestion that Smurf is putting forward.
Managers picking up on targets of the previous regime doesn't seem at all sinister to me, as long as they get the green light.
In fact, one of the first things Yogi done was block 2 of Mixu's signings - Benjelloune and the laddie who went to Partick.

The Rankin situation seems strange, but since the other two have fair explaination, I don't see what the issue is. Perhaps the agent approaching Hibs, RP making Rankins availibility know to JC, and then to Mixu. If that was the case, I don't know why we're trying to make it sound sinister.

Fair do's mate. I don't think it's 'sinister' however.

My thoughts currently are that whatever strategy we are following it isn't working. And there is only one constant throughout. We should be able to debate this on this forum without people getting too upset IMHO...

Cropley10
04-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Aye ok then! What makes you think you have a right to spout your opinion but put down others?

Cos he's got loads of posts :dunno:

GreenCastle
04-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Delighted Mixu is doing well.

He was treated like **** on here when he was the manager.

The reality is he's doing well and on a limited budget - I don't know all the in's and outs but would be very interesting to hear the differences from the time at ER and Rugby Park.

Does he have more freedom / better coaches / players / less pressure ?

LaMotta
04-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Delighted Mixu is doing well.

He was treated like **** on here when he was the manager.

The reality is he's doing well and on a limited budget - I don't know all the in's and outs but would be very interesting to hear the differences from the time at ER and Rugby Park.

Does he have more freedom / better coaches / players / less pressure ?

:agree:

Some people on here shouting loudly that he was tactically clueless, then it becoming accepted by the majority that this was the case. The dangers of groupthink.

Under Mixu, people on here were moaning after comfortable 2-0 home wins against St Mirren and hard fought draws against the title chasing Bigot brothers. These games were making our eyes bleed apparently....... One solution - get rid of Mixu. No patience to give him a bit of time to improve.

Phil D. Rolls
04-01-2011, 01:43 PM

I apologise, you are entitled to your opinion. It was out of order to dismiss it out of hand the way I did. I take it you know Mixu well?

Kaiser1962
04-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Fair do's mate. I don't think it's 'sinister' however.

My thoughts currently are that whatever strategy we are following it isn't working. And there is only one constant throughout. We should be able to debate this on this forum without people getting too upset IMHO...

While we are never going to agree about RP and we could argue (and do :greengrin) till the cows come home I do agree that something has gone wrong. Whether its the departure of John Park or whatever it just seems that we're in a mess and thats this has been identified and is in the process of being dealt with. I believe that CC and DA can do this if they have the time.

Cropley10
04-01-2011, 02:11 PM
While we are never going to agree about RP and we could argue (and do :greengrin) till the cows come home I do agree that something has gone wrong. Whether its the departure of John Park or whatever it just seems that we're in a mess and thats this has been identified and is in the process of being dealt with. I believe that CC and DA can do this if they have the time.

I believe that CC and DA can do this, too. On that we agree:greengrin

I don't necessarily think it's possible to say what exactly, or specifically, has gone wrong though. I watched the CIS final - or parts of it - the other day. I'll be the first person to accept that we couldn't keep these players and that the only thing to do is cash in on them, or see them leave for nothing.

But, if our priority is to balance the books and post a profit, I see that as being almost mutually exclusive to building a decent, exciting team. What I think is telling, an evidence, if you like of our signing policy, is we haven't signed a 'diamond on the beach' for how long? We seem to have a long list of players no-one else wanted and who no-one else wants. That's evident with the lack of quality on-field.

That might be bad luck or might be bad policy, or it could be a bit of both...

GreenCastle
04-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Can someone tell me a list of debt free football clubs in the UK ?

There aren't many...

I Love Lamp
04-01-2011, 02:23 PM
The idea that Mixu's success has been entirely based on his sabbatical from the game is laughable. Time to reflect is important for sure but he would have had that in the close season and there was no reason for depriving him of that opportunity given that, at the bottom line, Hibs finished 6th - a perfectly reasonable position based on the last ten or so years. Anyone adducing the 'eye bleeding football' his team played would do well to ask themselves if Yogi's 'several passes between the centre halves and goalkeeper before lumping it up' was any better.

Mixu has learnt well from his mistakes away from Hibs but he could just as easily have done so at Hibs which would allow us to be reaping the benefits of it rather than some Rangers satellite club.

Accordingly, Calderwood MUST be given the term of his contract unless the club is more than three points adrift at the bottom of the league if for no other reason than no-one will touch us with a barge pole if we keep ploughing through managers!

BEEJ
04-01-2011, 02:43 PM
:agree:

Some people on here shouting loudly that he was tactically clueless, then it becoming accepted by the majority that this was the case. The dangers of groupthink.

Under Mixu, people on here were moaning after comfortable 2-0 home wins against St Mirren and hard fought draws against the title chasing Bigot brothers. These games were making our eyes bleed apparently....... One solution - get rid of Mixu. No patience to give him a bit of time to improve.
The tendency towards revisionism is always greatest when times are hard. :greengrin

Lest we forget, Mixu's record in 18 months was:

Played 62
Won 19
Drawn 18
Lost 25

That's a win ratio of just over 30%. Not great by any means (although in the context of our 2010, a wonderful record :rolleyes:).

Unfortunately this was not compensated for by football which was attractive to watch. Mixu persisted week after week with a formation (the dreaded diamond) which his players seemed incapable of mastering. It was awful to witness at times.

In his first five months (season 2007/08) Mixu's record was

Played 20
Won 8
Drawn 4
Lost 8

As I recall, despite a disappointing run-in post-split that season, most folks on here were upbeat about Mixu and looking forward to how he would reshape the squad in the summer window of 2008.

In the end 2008/09 was disappointing, with victories becoming ever more scarce for the side as the season wore on (1 win in the last 9 matches; 4 wins in the last 21 matches). Things were getting worse, not better. There was little or no evidence that Mixu was learning or improving in the post. In the end we made 6th in the SPL, but only just.

His record against the Yams was good and he managed somehow to galvanise the side towards better performances against the OF. But don't let our affection for the man cloud the reality of what was at best an indifferent tenure.

Phil D. Rolls
04-01-2011, 02:56 PM
What I don't get is that Mixu himself attributes his change to taking a year out, yet people are still saying he would have got better without it. Who is likely to know better?

WindyMiller
04-01-2011, 03:04 PM

Mixu delayed the signing of Nish until he'd seen him play, which cup-tied him.

FitbaFolkKen
04-01-2011, 03:07 PM

Mixu did get a reaction after taking over and did pretty well iirc in his first few months. He made a few ropey signings that didn't fit with the system he wanted to play and then struggled to change it imo.

flood
04-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Mixu has done a fantastic job and most of the games he has used 7 or 8 of last years squad. Two of these were on the books( Bell and Kelly) and never given a chance under fat Jim. The fat orange Jim then came in and gave these two more of a go and they served him well. Two others (Taouil and Sammon) were bit part players and never had a good run with fat Jim or fat orange Jim.

The stats below show this

Fat Jim/Fat Orange Jim
2009/20 Played 38, won 8, draws 9, lost 21, for 29, against 51, GD -22 = pts 33

Mixu so far
2010/11 Played 19, won 9, draws 3, lost 7, for 32, against 21, GD +11 = pts 30

PaulSmith
04-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Hibs were Mixu's first full time club and coming to a club that he was desperate to see succeed and indeed supports seemed to take its toll on him. I think he got himself lost in the role a wee bit, his behaviour at the defeat at Cowdenbeath pre-season friendly was nothing short of a man teetering on the edge of a total breakdown.

I didn't buy into all this hoofball stuff as from speaking to a couple of Cowdenbeath players he hated the ball getting melted from one end of the park to the other but something didn't click at Hibs.

He took his year out and travelled all over Europe meeting the top managers, seeing how they worked, getting new ideas and basically reinventing himself somewhat. He deserves great credit for realising his faults, going away and getting them right for his next position.

I know that his is still very highly regarded within Easter Road as a coach and manager, and indeed if you ask anyone on the Board they will be quite candid and realise that it was probably a job too early for him. I'd never rule out a return.

BEEJ
04-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Mixu did get a reaction after taking over and did pretty well iirc in his first few months. He made a few ropey signings that didn't fit with the system he wanted to play and then struggled to change it imo.
Yes, as I noted in Post #70 above, in his first five months (season 07/08) we won 40% of our games and drew 20% of them. Mixu's best period with us. Compare that to his record at Killie so far noted below.

Mixu has done a fantastic job and most of the games he has used 7 or 8 of last years squad.

The stats below show this

Mixu so far
2010/11 Played 19, won 9, draws 3, lost 7, for 32, against 21, GD +11 = pts 30
Nearly 50% of matches won. It's this stark contrast that's creating the discussion.

The point about 'ropey signings' in the summer of 2008 and Mixu's system is a valid one and would explain our struggles in 2008/09.

H18sry
04-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Did we post a profit though that year, when the accounts were published?? :dunno:

I dont see what that has got to do with anything :confused: Mixu was given a budget of £500,000 and Rod was not happy that more than 60% of it was being used on 1 player, what difference does it make if we showed a profit or loss?:rolleyes:

Speedway
04-01-2011, 03:56 PM

There aren't many...

I dont see what that has got to do with anything :confused: Mixu was given a budget of £500,000 and Rod was not happy that more than 60% of it was being used on 1 player, what difference does it make if we showed a profit or loss?:rolleyes:

So whilst there might not be a wage cap purse-ay their is 'guidance' offered on how much a manager can spend of HIS own budget, on one player.

Stan Laurel
04-01-2011, 03:59 PM

That goes against what Scott Lindsay said at one of the AGM's in recent years. He was asked if the manager was allowed to spend his budget as he sees fit, as in was there a wage cap?

The answer was that yes the manager can spend it as he sees fit and there is no wage cap. Therefore he could if he wished spend say £6000 per week on one quality player as an example as opposed to having to spend £3000pw on two lesser quality players.

So why then have successive managers filled the squad to bursting with umpteen seemingly lower budget buys in the main as opposed to less faces but of better quality?

Something doesn't tie up.

hibs0666
04-01-2011, 04:02 PM
The tendency towards revisionism is always greatest when times are hard. :greengrin

Played 62
Won 19
Drawn 18
Lost 25

That's a win ratio of just over 30%. Not great by any means (although in the context of our 2010, a wonderful record :rolleyes:).

Unfortunately this was not compensated for by football which was attractive to watch. Mixu persisted week after week with a formation (the dreaded diamond) which his players seemed incapable of mastering. It was awful to witness at times.

Played 20
Won 8
Drawn 4
Lost 8

As I recall, despite a disappointing run-in post-split that season, most folks on here were upbeat about Mixu and looking forward to how he would reshape the squad in the summer window of 2008.

In the end 2008/09 was disappointing, with victories becoming ever more scarce for the side as the season wore on (1 win in the last 9 matches; 4 wins in the last 21 matches). Things were getting worse, not better. There was little or no evidence that Mixu was learning or improving in the post. In the end we made 6th in the SPL, but only just.

His record against the Yams was good and he managed somehow to galvanise the side towards better performances against the OF. But don't let our affection for the man cloud the reality of what was at best an indifferent tenure.

And was emptied way too early.

LaMotta
04-01-2011, 04:11 PM

Played 62
Won 19
Drawn 18
Lost 25

Played 20
Won 8
Drawn 4
Lost 8

I agree that his time was indifferent - I just don't think he was the tactically naive buffoon that many had him out to be.

Was one full season really enough time to say, OK see you later when things were not that bad and there had been some encouraging signs? I don't think it was, however we will never know now and theres every chance that I would have been wrong:greengrin

GreenPJ
04-01-2011, 04:31 PM

Didn't do that for us.

How do you know this?

Dashing Bob S
04-01-2011, 04:44 PM
I think Mixu, like Yogi after and JC before him, wanted success too much here, and were guilty of trying to please both the fans and board with short-termism, particularly relating to signings and tactics.

I think he felt he had nothing to lose at Killie, debt-ridden and heading to Div One, so he's just pleased himself, and it's worked.

Have strong reservations about Calderwood but I'm glad, for these reasons, that we haven't brought in another former player.

Franck is God
05-01-2011, 11:30 AM
I was a massive critic of Mixu while he was at ER, thought he was tactically very poor and couldn't get the best from what was at the time a decent to good SPL squad.

However in hindsight and how many of the same players then went on to perform poorly under Yogi I am happy to say that I was wrong and that player power at ER since 2007 has claimed the jobs of three very popular former players who all had the potential to be excellent managers for us.

I am pleased that Mixu is doing so well and hope every success for Yogi & JC too in whatever jobs they take in the future.

lord bunberry
05-01-2011, 05:23 PM

There aren't many...
Are hibs actually free of debt i hear this claim being made by fellow hibees alot but im sure when we published our last financial results we were around 5million in debt but maybe ive not read it properly

son of haggart
05-01-2011, 05:54 PM
I think Mixu, like Yogi after and JC before him, wanted success too much here, and were guilty of trying to please both the fans and board with short-termism, particularly relating to signings and tactics.

I think he felt he had nothing to lose at Killie, debt-ridden and heading to Div One, so he's just pleased himself, and it's worked.

Have strong reservations about Calderwood but I'm glad, for these reasons, that we haven't brought in another former player.

Could it not be that there is a more relaxed policy at Kilmarnock - Jefferies was given plenty of time there and built a good team up (then faded once a few key players left).

At Hearts the managers generally did worse when Romanov interfered most (I understand he interfered little in the early part of Burley's time and is pretty 'hands off' now). Interference can take many forms, from a board of Directors, CEO or owner, and it may be that managers at Hibs are working within quite tight guideleines. The alternative theory - that player power is too strong, while backed by the Collins dressing room saga, seems unlikely over a series of quite strong managers (in terms of ego, strength of character)

BEEJ
05-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Could it not be that there is a more relaxed policy at Kilmarnock - Jefferies was given plenty of time there and built a good team up (then faded once a few key players left).

At Hearts the managers generally did worse when Romanov interfered most (I understand he interfered little in the early part of Burley's time and is pretty 'hands off' now). Interference can take many forms, from a board of Directors, CEO or owner, and it may be that managers at Hibs are working within quite tight guideleines. The alternative theory - that player power is too strong, while backed by the Collins dressing room saga, seems unlikely over a series of quite strong managers (in terms of ego, strength of character)
:agree: That would be my take on it.

hibsbollah
05-01-2011, 06:23 PM

If not, why not?

No, because he's a very different manager now. He's playing a different style of game at Killie; if he was still at ER he'd still be playing 5-0-5 for a start. Sometimes people just need a new environment to learn something new.

He was absolutely woeful here and probably represented my lowest point since i started watching Hibs.

Kaiser1962
05-01-2011, 08:16 PM
So whilst there might not be a wage cap purse-ay their is 'guidance' offered on how much a manager can spend of HIS own budget, on one player.

I dont know why any manager would tolerate this. As long as he was within the constraints previously determined there should have been no problem. I dont know Mixu but, from what I hear of him, I would be surprised if he took this.

ahibby
06-01-2011, 02:23 PM
I felt that the writing was on the wall for Mixu long before he actually left us. I saw signs of Mixus team beginning to come together just after the point of no return for him, which is sad. I also thought that we were worse from January 2010 to Yogis departure than we were under Mixu. My point is that I would have preferred to stick with Mixu rather than replace him with Yogi. I appreciate however that had we done so we might not have had Stokes who was our top scorer for Yogi but we went from boom to bust with Yogi. Under Mixu it might have been slow progress rather than boom. I guess that Mixu wasn't very good at shopping for basement bargains based on his success with Killie which is mostly to do with good loans, no? In summary I think letting Mixu go when we did was a mistake.

Septimus
07-01-2011, 08:06 AM
As others have said it appears that Mixu is being allowed to manage the team as he sees fit. This is clearly not the case at ER where there appears to be constant interferance from the board. Mixu's diamond was plain awful and his substitutions or rather lack of them were difficult to understand at the time.

I wish him well at Killie. That does not help Hibs in their present predicament but it does show what can be done a relatively limited budget and with a will to win.

I think we all know that a top class player or even a medium player is beyond our means now in a ready made condition. We must have some patience and build from the youth that we have plus what we can recruit.

Of course anything that comes through that route will be seen by Petrie as a cash asset to be realised as soon as possible. That being the case we had better get used to Hibs being a bunch of also rans. Such a fate would be a travesty of the potential which we should have.

basehibby
07-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Things have worked out well for Mixu at Killie. We cannot afford to look back...no point.

I do hope all those who called Mixu 'our manager' 'Mixup' 'Bufoon' and all the other insults now feel a wee bit sheepish. Mixu was never truly awful at Hibs...he did make us hard to beat and don't forget he never lost in the league to the Yams. Should have been given more time IMO and said that at the time. However.....the board had a decision to make and they made it. What really rankled me was the abuse he got from Hibs supporters with very short memories. Nothing wrong with saying Mixu should go or Mixu is not the man for the job etc....but some of the personal abuse was shocking. I read some of the stuff on here and it was embarrassing.

Well done Mixu, A lovely guy. Hope it works out for you(apart from when playing the cabbage of course)

:agree: It seems to me that the moment the going gets tough under any manager the erseholes in our support show their true colours - a bit like how you get some people heading for the exits the minute we go a goal down these days - nae spine ahm tellin yeez :grr:

ahibby
07-01-2011, 03:18 PM
There is nothing wrong with a bit of reflection. We do have a blame culture in football in general not just at Hibs or on Hibs Forums. Mixu has shown that with the right club he is better than what he appeared to be at Hibs, no?