PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Calderwood in the Transfer Market

Dashing Bob S
03-01-2011, 12:08 PM
It's obvious that one of the main reasons CC was appointed to preside over the rebuilding of Hibs was a) his penchant for giving young players a chance, and b) his knowledge of players in England.

It seems he likes his teams to be organised and aggressive - neither of which can apply to Hibs in recent years.

I think we'll see Booth and Byrne given their chances in the New Year, and I fancy him to bring a couple of seasoned pro's and maybe a bit of youthful quality on an extended loan.

Take this with a pinch of salt but I got a text from a Newcastle fan that a fringe player there is on his way to ER. Don't know who, but its meant to be done and dusted.

Betty Boop
03-01-2011, 12:15 PM
It's obvious that one of the main reasons CC was appointed to preside over the rebuilding of Hibs was a) his penchant for giving young players a chance, and b) his knowledge of players in England.

It seems he likes his teams to be organised and aggressive - neither of which can apply to Hibs in recent years.

I think we'll see Booth and Byrne given their chances in the New Year, and I fancy him to bring a couple of seasoned pro's and maybe a bit of youthful quality on an extended loan.

Take this with a pinch of salt but I got a text from a Newcastle fan that a fringe player there is on his way to ER. Don't know who, but its meant to be done and dusted.

Alan Smith ? :greengrin

Kevvy1875
03-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Good...fingers crossed he has more impact than our last signing from the Toon:cool2:

Some new blood in this team may work wonders as the current lot are stale with no inspiration. Couple of wide player in the FB or RM,LM positions could make the difference between us being relegated or finishing top 6 I reckon.

jdships
03-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Sol Campbell , anyone ?:greengrin:wink::rolleyes:

McIntosh
03-01-2011, 12:37 PM
More likely to be Jóan Símun Edmundsson, Bradden Inman or Nile Ranger

PISTOL1875
03-01-2011, 12:39 PM

That exactly what I was thinking as well...

stokesmessiah
03-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Ryan Donaldson has been banded about a few times on here also !

Hibby Kay-Yay
03-01-2011, 12:40 PM

I hear he's not a team player and prefers to work alone

:duck:

stokesmessiah
03-01-2011, 12:41 PM

He is in and about the 1st team squad. Been on the bench for the last few games and brought on.

McIntosh
03-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Ryan Donaldson has been banded about a few times on here also !

True, virtually camped in our training ground with the amount of friendlies Newcastle play against Hibs.

Ernie Cobra
03-01-2011, 01:00 PM
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Nile-Ranger-is-an-example-of-how-football-can-change-lives-says-Newcastle-boss-Chris-Hughton-article252645.html

Yes this young lad can fill the boots left by many a first team headbanger, a wee night out with deeks should be lively

at least he was hionest about his past and ther was no de nile:offski::duck:

hibsboy90
03-01-2011, 01:02 PM

I'd be pleased with the Faroese player, saw him play at Pittodrie and was definitely their bright spark. Would be shocked to see Nile Ranger come seems to be getting a fair slice of first team action

jst1875
03-01-2011, 01:49 PM
lovenkrands ? ................

stokesmessiah
03-01-2011, 09:12 PM
lovenkrands ? ................

:na na:

hibbie02
03-01-2011, 10:51 PM
That exactly what I was thinking as well...

Yes Please!!! :thumbsup:

monktonharp
03-01-2011, 11:18 PM
More likely to be Jóan Símun Edmundsson, Bradden Inman or Nile Rangerwho's nile ranger? sounds like a crocodile hunter wi' a name like that

McIntosh
04-01-2011, 12:22 AM
who's nile ranger? sounds like a crocodile hunter wi' a name like that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_Ranger

Just Jimmy
04-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Only way Ranger will be going out on loan is if Newcastle can bring in another front man. They have been linked with Robbie Keane so who knows? Doubt it'll be Hibs tho.

More likely to be Ryan Donaldson, or hopefully Shane Ferguson whos a leftsided player and a great prospect.

COuld also be some genuine ***** like Leon Best.

Leishy1995
05-01-2011, 02:26 AM
Only way Ranger will be going out on loan is if Newcastle can bring in another front man. They have been linked with Robbie Keane so who knows? Doubt it'll be Hibs tho.

More likely to be Ryan Donaldson, or hopefully Shane Ferguson whos a leftsided player and a great prospect.

COuld also be some genuine ***** like Leon Best.

best played at the weekend, off the bench, I'd like a defensive midfielder to break up attacks.

mjhibby
05-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Ccs comments this morning in the papers are a wee bit worrying where he says that there have been stumbling blocks at getting players in and out and i hope we are not left with the usual end of january dash to get playeers and the ones we want slip away.I dont think bamba should have gone unless we were confident of getting a couple of players in.I may be fretting over nothing but his comments are eerily like those we have had the last few transfer windows.better to say nowt and announce something when it happens.Imho of course.

Craig_in_Prague
05-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Ccs comments this morning in the papers are a wee bit worrying where he says that there have been stumbling blocks at getting players in and out and i hope we are not left with the usual end of january dash to get playeers and the ones we want slip away.I dont think bamba should have gone unless we were confident of getting a couple of players in.I may be fretting over nothing but his comments are eerily like those we have had the last few transfer windows.better to say nowt and announce something when it happens.Imho of course.

I think the fact is the crap we have no-one would want and the money we pay is not very good, so players we're after probably laugh at us.

True, other clubs in the league face the same problems, but I really fear we'll not see much improvement to the squad in Jan...... in fact if Deek follows Sol out the door, we're much worse off.
CC seems to like Hanlon so I'm not holding my breathe on replacing Sol.

Like I've said for a week or so now, we just have to hope Zouma and Duffy both returning see us stay up, then the summer is the time we'll see a big change in the squad.

marinello59
05-01-2011, 09:01 AM
A major stumbling block is going to be the fact we play in a deeply unattractive league. In previous years players may have been sold on a move to Scotland as a means of placing themselves in the shop window. With the Old Firm having less financial muscle than before a move to them after a decent season isn't a given either. Just look at Chelsea recalling the lad Gordon from Killie because they want to see him perform at a decent level down South. That probably means him going on loan to a Championship or League1 side. That says it all about how far standards are perceived to have dropped up here. I will be very surprised if we get any real quality players in on anything other than a loan until the end of the season.

steakbake
05-01-2011, 09:20 AM
A major stumbling block is going to be the fact we play in a deeply unattractive league. In previous years players may have been sold on a move to Scotland as a means of placing themselves in the shop window. With the Old Firm having less financial muscle than before a move to them after a decent season isn't a given either. Just look at Chelsea recalling the lad Gordon from Killie because they want to see him perform at a decent level down South. That probably means him going on loan to a Championship or League1 side. That says it all about how far standards are perceived to have dropped up here. I will be very surprised if we get any real quality players in on anything other than a loan until the end of the season.

That's true to an extent however, for the right kind of player, its a stepping stone to other things or its a place to earn a few quid in the twilight of their careers.

What is quite good to see recently - in the past 2/3 years or so - is the number of young Scottish players going south to play in the Premiership or Championship. So it's not as if we are totally useless and do not produce anything of interest.

As far as I can see it, Hibs are well positioned to bring through young players to a point when they can get their next move to a bigger league. This is where we can make a decent amount of money for the club to reinvest, either in an enhanced salary scale, new players or filling in the corners at ER (joking on the last one).

However, it's a long term project but looking at the way we brought through O'Connor, Riordan, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker etc gives you some hope for the future. It would be great if we could see a new wave of youngsters coming through.

Before anyone moans that they'd get sold off like the family silver, then yes, of course they will. Such is football and such is our position in the footballing world.

Saorsa
05-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Ccs comments this morning in the papers are a wee bit worrying where he says that there have been stumbling blocks at getting players in and out and i hope we are not left with the usual end of january dash to get playeers and the ones we want slip away.I dont think bamba should have gone unless we were confident of getting a couple of players in.I may be fretting over nothing but his comments are eerily like those we have had the last few transfer windows.better to say nowt and announce something when it happens.Imho of course.same song, different singer :agree:

HibbyAndy
05-01-2011, 10:57 AM
same song, different singer :agree:

Bit like 'Evergreen' ?.. Westlife and Will Young both sang it :greengrin

Saorsa
05-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Bit like 'Evergreen' ?.. Westlife and Will Young both sang it :greengrinwell you'd ken mair about that than me. :agree:

Removed
05-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Bit like 'Evergreen' ?.. Westlife and Will Young both sang it :greengrin

Are you in the right thread :greengrin

They sang it but who wrote it :dunno:

HibbyAndy
05-01-2011, 11:25 AM
well you'd ken mair about that than me. :agree:

:hilarious

Nae chance

Are you in the right thread :greengrin

They sang it but who wrote it :dunno:

:hmmm:

Now am hinking :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-01-2011, 12:38 PM

That's a really cup half empty post is it not? You could say that Chelski want him playing in the fourth richest league...which is the Championship, and how many other leagues in Europe would that step over apart from us? Also for Gordon in particular, Chelski could have him playing more or less on their door-step at Reading, QPR, Crystal Palace or Millwall and even have him still train with the first team if required. Not out of the question that we could get fringe Newcastle players that could come up on the train everyday.

Andy74
05-01-2011, 12:48 PM
same song, different singer :agree:

The public gets what the public wants.

Removed
05-01-2011, 01:02 PM
The public gets what the public wants.

:agree: and most of them want some jam on it as well

marinello59
05-01-2011, 01:02 PM
That's a really cup half empty post is it not? You could say that Chelski want him playing in the fourth richest league...which is the Championship, and how many other leagues in Europe would that step over apart from us? Also for Gordon in particular, Chelski could have him playing more or less on their door-step at Reading, QPR, Crystal Palace or Millwall and even have him still train with the first team if required. Not out of the question that we could get fringe Newcastle players that could come up on the train everyday.

That would make me sound far more optimistic than I actually am.

Andy74
05-01-2011, 01:16 PM

I think we will continue to struggle to get the quality of player we expect here and Calderwood will have to work with the same problems. Yes we can clear the squad out in the simmer, and then what? hopefully he has an eye for the odd gem that we can sometimes find.

On the face of it when you look at what Hughes done it should have increased the quality of player we had before he arrived. Well, that's what it looked like and i'm sre that's what the board thought they were backing.

When you think we had the likes of Maka, Chisholm, Keenan, Hogg, Van Zanten, Rankin and Nish as regulars replaced by guys like Brown, Miller, McBride, De Graaf, Dickoh, Hart and Stokes you think it should work.

So, we can replace that lot too but what will amke the next lot any better?

We are placing a lot on Calderwood making a big differnce to what Mixu and Hughes were doing. So far, tactics and formations are about the same, results the same if not worse overall and the same noises mande about keeping our better players or brining any in.

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2011, 01:38 PM
I think we will continue to struggle to get the quality of player we expect here and Calderwood will have to work with the same problems. Yes we can clear the squad out in the simmer, and then what? hopefully he has an eye for the odd gem that we can sometimes find.

On the face of it when you look at what Hughes done it should have increased the quality of player we had before he arrived. Well, that's what it looked like and i'm sre that's what the board thought they were backing.

When you think we had the likes of Maka, Chisholm, Keenan, Hogg, Van Zanten, Rankin and Nish as regulars replaced by guys like Brown, Miller, McBride, De Graaf, Dickoh, Hart and Stokes you think it should work.

So, we can replace that lot too but what will amke the next lot any better?

We are placing a lot on Calderwood making a big differnce to what Mixu and Hughes were doing. So far, tactics and formations are about the same, results the same if not worse overall and the same noises mande about keeping our better players or brining any in.

Although i agree with a lot of what you say above, what is unacceptable is the results we are seeing. Whoever is in charge is in charge of results first and foremost, Style of play and formations come next. The man in charge signs those he wants to play in his way, and clubs way below us in spending power, seem to be doing better than us.

I'd be a lot more worried if that was happening every season, but we have slipped this year, and are in a relegation fight. I think we will be ok, my one fear is we burden the club with more dross, rather than holding our nerve and hopefully getting to the summer, where we will see the bigger picture in terms of what we have, who wants to stay, and who we want to keep.

hibsbollah
05-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Sol Campbell , anyone ?:greengrin:wink::rolleyes:

He might have trouble keeping it tight at the back:cool2:

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-01-2011, 04:10 PM

what about a half empty cup that also has a hole in it.....?:rolleyes:

marinello59
05-01-2011, 04:18 PM
what about a half empty cup that also has a hole in it.....?:rolleyes:

Close.:thumbsup:

Speedy
05-01-2011, 04:36 PM

I doubt it will be Nile Ranger. He looks like he can do a job for them.

Danny Guthrie?