PDA

View Full Version : Wasted Opportunity

brog
03-01-2011, 11:40 AM
We commission the McLeish report into what's wrong with Scottish football but our administrators ignore January 3 & 4 as public holidays when games could be played. The English League, with no real Ne'erday tradition has a full fixture list today.
I fondly remember the Jan 2 fixtures, much calmer after the Ne'erday derby but a chance to meet up, raise a glass or 2 & enjoy a game. Three classics I remember from the sixties were us beating Falkirk 6-0 day after Willie Hamilton beat Yams 1-0, legend had it Willie was still drunk that day; a tiny winger called Johnny Grant crawling through a Falkirk defender's legs & scoring at Brockville in a 4-1 win & 17 year old Peter Marinello making his debut at Starks Park, 2-2.
Maybe it's just my memory going but my recall is that all these games were packed with a huge travelling support at Brockville in particular.
Instead we'll play on midweek nights in February when we'll be lucky to get 10,000.
Genius!!

Phil D. Rolls
03-01-2011, 02:01 PM
We commission the McLeish report into what's wrong with Scottish football but our administrators ignore January 3 & 4 as public holidays when games could be played. The English League, with no real Ne'erday tradition has a full fixture list today.
I fondly remember the Jan 2 fixtures, much calmer after the Ne'erday derby but a chance to meet up, raise a glass or 2 & enjoy a game. Three classics I remember from the sixties were us beating Falkirk 6-0 day after Willie Hamilton beat Yams 1-0, legend had it Willie was still drunk that day; a tiny winger called Johnny Grant crawling through a Falkirk defender's legs & scoring at Brockville in a 4-1 win & 17 year old Peter Marinello making his debut at Starks Park, 2-2.
Maybe it's just my memory going but my recall is that all these games were packed with a huge travelling support at Brockville in particular.
Instead we'll play on midweek nights in February when we'll be lucky to get 10,000.
Genius!!

Great memories there, but in those days admission was a fraction of what it is in today's money. Also there was a lack of competition from other areas, so I wonder how keen people would be to attend two games in three days now.

Jack
03-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Great memories there, but in those days admission was a fraction of what it is in today's money. Also there was a lack of competition from other areas, so I wonder how keen people would be to attend two games in three days now.

With away supports dwindling, other than the real die hards, I think this would have been an ideal time for clubs to have a home and away fixture to ensure as good as you're likely to get attendances for at least the home fixture.

I know a lot of folk home for Christmas and New Year who, if there had been a game on today, would have stayed long enough to attend.

brog
04-01-2011, 11:31 AM
With away supports dwindling, other than the real die hards, I think this would have been an ideal time for clubs to have a home and away fixture to ensure as good as you're likely to get attendances for at least the home fixture.

I know a lot of folk home for Christmas and New Year who, if there had been a game on today, would have stayed long enough to attend.

Agreed, St M had over 6,000 for visit of Killie yesterday, about 50% above their average for that type of fixture & would have earned them about an extra £50k.