PDA

View Full Version : Another classic quote

Golden Bear
03-01-2011, 09:19 AM
At times I really wish our players could watch themselves as they might be more reluctant to babble such nonsense.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/01/03/nish-hibs-are-improving-every-week-and-are-too-good-to-be-relegated-86908-22823918/

down the slope
03-01-2011, 09:23 AM
I can hardly believe he said our "league position is hardly a concern", brainless.

Expecting Rain
03-01-2011, 09:26 AM
The last paragraph suggests that he must be on another planet, the quicker we realise that we`re in a relegation battle the better, sad to say as one of the 95% of football fans that don`t know what they are talking about, based on his recent form i don`t think we`ll be relying on him too much.

Phil D. Rolls
03-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Colin Nish will later be taking the blame for, Susie Lamplugh, the Lindbergh baby, the cold weather in December and Ryanair's pricing structure. If anyone else has an unsolved crime they'd like Colin to take the rap for please contact L&B Police (Intolerace Section) c/o Gayfield Square Nick, Edinburgh.

IWasThere2016
03-01-2011, 09:28 AM
At times I really wish our players could watch themselves as they might be more reluctant to babble such nonsense.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/01/03/nish-hibs-are-improving-every-week-and-are-too-good-to-be-relegated-86908-22823918/

Link too big for the BB - which of our intelligenti is it this week?

3pm
03-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Nish: Hibs are improving every week and are too good to be relegated
Jan 3 2011 By Gary Ralston

COLIN NISH has vowed if he leaves Hibs it will not be red-faced after relegation.

The Easter Road frontman is out of contract at the end of the season and admits he is still in the dark about his future at the club.

Nish is kicking himself for missing a gilt-edged chance after 76 minutes at Tynecastle that would have given his side a 1-0 lead in the Edinburgh derby their play would not have merited.

But he has told brassed-off Hibs fans Colin Calderwood will turn around the club in time and the second-bottom side won't drop into the First Division.

Nish said: "I've not got a clue about a new contract. I'll just have to keep my head down and keep working.

"It would be embarrassing to be part of any team that went down, never mind Hibs. However, we've got too much for that to happen. The manager is improving the team every week and we're getting there. We're confident we won't be going down.

"The manager has his ideas and he's gradually getting them over to the boys. We were a lot more solid against Hearts and maybe a bit unfortunate not to take at least a draw. If we continue like that we'll be winning more games than not.

"It's pretty gutting to lose it so late.

We thought the worst we were going to get was a draw as we had held them out for so long. But one cross and one header and it's in the back of the net. That's obviously disappointing.

However, in terms of chances it was pretty even. We thought it was going to be 0-0 or we might have nicked it.

"We played well enough and now we've got other games coming up that we need to win. If we play like that I think we'll get them."

Nish was cursing his bad fortune when he controlled a raking cross-field pass from Derek Riordan and the Hearts defence were exposed for the first and only time in the game.

However, much to the disappointment of Hibs fans sitting behind the goal in the Roseburn Stand he pulled his shot wide from 16 yards.

He said: "I had a chance at the back post from Deek's pass and you've got to take them to win games. I didn't miss by far. I thought it was in.

"I knew I had a couple of folk inside but didn't want to take the chance of cutting inside and having the ball taken from me and then having no chance at all. My first touch was good, I hit it well. Sometimes they go in, sometimes they don't.

"Our league position is not really a concern yet. Obviously, you want to win games and push up the table but we're not doing that at the moment. We'll work our socks off to win games and improve our position."

Mark79
03-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Nish is kicking himself for missing a gilt-edged chance after 76 minutes at Tynecastle that would have given his side a 1-0 lead in the Edinburgh derby their play would not have merited.?????

Does anyone actually think that the **** were far superior? I thought they looked an average team.

3pm
03-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Nish is kicking himself for missing a gilt-edged chance after 76 minutes at Tynecastle that would have given his side a 1-0 lead in the Edinburgh derby their play would not have merited.?????

Does anyone actually think that the **** were far superior? I thought they looked an average team.

They were average but that's enough to beat us at the moment.

Ray_
03-01-2011, 09:52 AM

They were either that or our team were so terrified of them to the extent that we only played for a few minutes towards the end of the game, other than that, they totally dominated the game.

Newhaven
03-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Nish: Hibs are improving every week and are too good to be relegated
Jan 3 2011 By Gary Ralston

COLIN NISH has vowed if he leaves Hibs it will not be red-faced after relegation.

The Easter Road frontman is out of contract at the end of the season and admits he is still in the dark about his future at the club.

Nish is kicking himself for missing a gilt-edged chance after 76 minutes at Tynecastle that would have given his side a 1-0 lead in the Edinburgh derby their play would not have merited.

But he has told brassed-off Hibs fans Colin Calderwood will turn around the club in time and the second-bottom side won't drop into the First Division.

Nish said: "I've not got a clue about a new contract. I'll just have to keep my head down and keep working.

"It would be embarrassing to be part of any team that went down, never mind Hibs. However, we've got too much for that to happen. The manager is improving the team every week and we're getting there. We're confident we won't be going down.

"The manager has his ideas and he's gradually getting them over to the boys. We were a lot more solid against Hearts and maybe a bit unfortunate not to take at least a draw. If we continue like that we'll be winning more games than not.

"It's pretty gutting to lose it so late.

We thought the worst we were going to get was a draw as we had held them out for so long. But one cross and one header and it's in the back of the net. That's obviously disappointing.

However, in terms of chances it was pretty even. We thought it was going to be 0-0 or we might have nicked it.

"We played well enough and now we've got other games coming up that we need to win. If we play like that I think we'll get them."

Nish was cursing his bad fortune when he controlled a raking cross-field pass from Derek Riordan and the Hearts defence were exposed for the first and only time in the game.

However, much to the disappointment of Hibs fans sitting behind the goal in the Roseburn Stand he pulled his shot wide from 16 yards.

He said: "I had a chance at the back post from Deek's pass and you've got to take them to win games. I didn't miss by far. I thought it was in.

"I knew I had a couple of folk inside but didn't want to take the chance of cutting inside and having the ball taken from me and then having no chance at all. My first touch was good, I hit it well. Sometimes they go in, sometimes they don't.

"Our league position is not really a concern yet. Obviously, you want to win games and push up the table but we're not doing that at the moment. We'll work our socks off to win games and improve our position."

The Daily Record and Colin Nish - A match made in heaven..

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Wouldn't normally buy the Daily Andrex. I suppose one thing is hopefully this guff will be hidden in the wankfest that is normally published post Old Firm derby. For Nish to say that our league position is not a concern is pathetic. Not sure how this could even be a mis-quote.:rolleyes:

Gala Foxes
03-01-2011, 09:57 AM
"too good to be relegated" - great quote,doesn't every team going down say that

Our record since Dec 2009 suggest we are prime candidates for relegation

With a group of players that clearly think they are better than their 12 month form

Saorsa
03-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Nish: Hibs are improving every week and are too good to be relegated.

I must be watching something else then.

PapillonVert
03-01-2011, 10:14 AM
So, CC is "gradually" getting his message over? Gradually??

Does that mean that by the end of May the players should just about have worked it out that you generally need to win games to get points otherwise you could be facing relegation.

Of course, by then it could be just a tad too late.....

What is the collective IQ of our squad, for God's sake? Does it even break into 3 figures?

fishybeaver
03-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Why when ripping Nish has no one pointed out the the full quote "our league position is not a concern YET", put a whole different slant on the quote, but lets not use the full facts when dragging Nish and club down shall we?

Supporters...you having a laff!!!!

Sir David Gray
03-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I can only hope that Nish has been slightly misquoted there.

I can't believe that anyone thinks that our current position of being just five points above relegation, when we're half way through the season, is not a concern.

Unbelievable.

By the way, Colin, having one shot on target in 90 minutes will rarely get you a draw in a match.

Hearts were far from impressive on Saturday but they certainly deserved the three points.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Why when ripping Nish has no one pointed out the the full quote "our league position is not a concern YET", put a whole different slant on the quote, but lets not use the full facts when dragging Nish and club down shall we?

Supporters...you having a laff!!!!

you are happy with where we are then?:confused:

marinello59
03-01-2011, 10:39 AM
More over analysis of a puff piece in a rancid rag being used to beat up one of our players. He's a fitba player, not the Prime Minister or the head of Nato. I don't see that he has said much wrong there. Just as well our own daily utterings aren't subjected the the same level of analysis as this, we'd all look like right ********s.

NAE NOOKIE
03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
To come out and say that he thought the game was even is just giving the already smug Yam support the chance to take the p1sh.

Even the most blinkered Hibby had to admit that on chances alone we were second best in that game and if Colin thinks different then he must be one of the 95% of Hibs fans he thought know nothing about football.

Also ........ If CCs methods are beginning to get through to the players and that message is to pack out the defence and hope to get a couple of chances in games against anybody with a better team than say Hamilton then we are in for a few seasons of football that will make Bobby Williamson's style of football look like Barcelona.

Hibs should never play the Yams and look like from the word go that we think they are better than us ( even if we do think that ) end of. But that is what happened on Saturday if CCs tactics were anything to go by.

RickyS
03-01-2011, 10:44 AM
loved this bit -
But one cross and one header and it's in the back of the net. That's obviously disappointing.

maybe worth a try Col?

Cabbage1875
03-01-2011, 10:47 AM
More over analysis of a puff piece in a rancid rag being used to beat up one of our players. He's a fitba player, not the Prime Minister or the head of Nato. I don't see that he has said much wrong there. Just as well our own daily utterings aren't subjected the the same level of analysis as this, we'd all look like right ********s.

Over analysis? A bit of recognition as to how serious and grim a situation we are in would not go amiss!

If the players really think we are 'too good to go down' then we are in serious trouble. This has got nothing to do with it being Nish who has come out with this quote today, he has not been the only player to utter these words in the press.

The sooner the players realise the battle we are going to have is one to stay in this league, the better.

fishybeaver
03-01-2011, 10:50 AM
you are happy with where we are then?:confused:

Obviously not..but my form of support is to encourage people to be the best that they can and not criticise every single aspect of our club!!!

Bit of PMA would do us (the support) wonders!!

Sir David Gray
03-01-2011, 11:00 AM

I just can't believe that our players aren't concerned about Hibs being relegated. It's not just Colin Nish who has made that kind of comment this season so it is not a personal dig at Nish.

If anything, I am actually someone who comes to Nish's defence, more often than not, on here and I think he is better than a lot of Hibs fans give him credit for.

Any team that is in our position, after 19 matches played, is deep in a relegation battle and I think that anyone who doesn't realise that needs a serious reality check.

If we lose in a couple of weeks' time against Hamilton, I would possibly place Hibs as favourites for the drop. That is how serious this situation has become.

marinello59
03-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I just can't believe that our players aren't concerned about Hibs being relegated. It's not just Colin Nish who has made that kind of comment this season so it is not a personal dig at Nish.

If anything, I am actually someone who comes to Nish's defence, more often than not, on here and I think he is better than a lot of Hibs fans give him credit for.

Any team that is in our position, after 19 matches played, is deep in a relegation battle and I think that anyone who doesn't realise that needs a serious reality check.

If we lose in a couple of weeks' time against Hamilton, I would possibly place Hibs as favourites for the drop. That is how serious this situation has become.

Aye, just twist around what he said. Perhaps he should have come out and said,' 'we're doomed!'' He's a fitba player fulfilling his contactual obligation to give an interview to the press. Why do we always have to read so much in to what is said?

Baldy Foghorn
03-01-2011, 11:13 AM
If Hibs players are not concerned about Relegation then they need to have a serious re-think. 16 points amassed out of 19 games, and 5 points off bottom, with the bottom club having 2 games in hand.....

Our form is woeful, and hearing players saying things like we have too much here to go down is frustrating, why not do your talking on the pitch, because results are showing that we are devoid of form, and are really struggling to gather any momemtum.....

Wish they would begin the realise the serious predicament in which the Club is currently in......

BroxburnHibee
03-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Aye, just twist around what he said. Perhaps he should have come out and said,' 'we're doomed!'' He's a fitba player fulfilling his contactual obligation to give an interview to the press. Why do we always have to read so much in to what is said?

:top marks

RickyS
03-01-2011, 11:15 AM

it worries me that we are relying on guys who are pretty sure they are away to keep us up

Removed
03-01-2011, 11:16 AM
it worries me that we are relying on guys who are pretty sure they are away to keep us up

It worries me that folk on here read the daily record :bitchy:

Sir David Gray
03-01-2011, 11:46 AM

Please tell me where I have twisted what Nish has said. :confused:

He has been quoted as saying;

"It would be embarrassing to be part of any team that went down, never mind Hibs. However, we've got too much for that to happen."

And

"Our league position is not really a concern yet."

Those two quotes seem pretty conclusive to me. Colin Nish thinks that we have too much about us to get relegated and he is unconcerned about our current league position.

What do you take out of that interview, in terms of what Nish actually thinks about our current predicament?

3pm
03-01-2011, 12:36 PM
There has to be a proper acknowledgement of the situation. I posted something similar 2 weeks ago.

David Moyes was interviewed on TV a couple of weeks ago after they won at Man City, something along the line of 'Can you push for Europe David?' to which he replied 'We need to get enough points to get away from the bottom 3 first'. Now, there are parallels between us, we're worse off actually. If they don't realise what is going on then it's a massive concern.

leithsansiro
03-01-2011, 12:39 PM
In fairness to Nish, I'm sure he's just spouting the same sort of nonsense that is probably being said in the dressing room. I'm fairly certain most of the squad believe that we're too good to go down and that they'll get by on, ahem, reputation alone.

Get the fingers out, boys. I bet Hamilton can smell green blood.

Phil D. Rolls
03-01-2011, 12:50 PM
In fairness to Nish, I'm sure he's just spouting the same sort of nonsense that is probably being said in the dressing room. I'm fairly certain most of the squad believe that we're too good to go down and that they'll get by on, ahem, reputation alone.

Well there's definitely a smell of something. :agree:

Heckys Wheel
03-01-2011, 01:16 PM

Is anybody else reading this as Calderwood working hard and keeping the players positive and confident. They seem to be acknowledging that they will have to work hard but have the ability to win games.

When the players start panicking, then we're in trouble.

Kato
03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Also ........ If CCs methods are beginning to get through to the players and that message is to pack out the defence and hope to get a couple of chances in games against anybody with a better team than say Hamilton then we are in for a few seasons of football that will make Bobby Williamson's style of football look like Barcelona.

Or.

He's recognised that with the players he has at the moment that's our best chance of gaining points - because we have a lot of dross hanging around. Then maybe once we've hopefully consolidated and got some more players we can be a bit expansive, as we were against Rangers.

Or.

He does set the team out to attack but our players are so gutless/enept/uninterested the tactics go out the window.

Hibs should never play the Yams and look like from the word go that we think they are better than us ( even if we do think that ) end of. But that is what happened on Saturday if CCs tactics were anything to go by.

And if he did that and we were left us shorthanded at the back throughout, which we would have been, and they had scored 5-or 6 he could at least have taken the pelters here and elsewhere with the solace that he had "had a go"?

As long as we stay up he can play who he wants and whatever tactics he wants.

Albion Hibs
03-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I think Nish is showing some belief, support and pride for the club by trying to be positive about the position we are in. It is no surprise to me that his view is being met with such conflict of opinion on .net.

Would you rather he came out and said "we are fu&&ed, woman and children first, save yourselves.."

Golden Bear
03-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I think Nish is showing some belief, support and pride for the club by trying to be positive about the position we are in. It is no surprise to me that his view is being met with such conflict of opinion on .net.

Would you rather he came out and said "we are fu&&ed, woman and children first, save yourselves.."

My concern is that the team somehow expect the present predicament to resolve itself and they really do think that they're far too good to get relegated.

Let's not kid ourselves on as nobody will do Hibs any favours and it's up to to the players to rise to the challenge and not shirk from their responsibilities otherwise relegation is a distinct possibility.

basehibby
03-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Being a Hibby, Nish should know better than to spout such pish - we had George Best and Jackie McNamarra among others in the team that got relegated in the early 80s and it's fair to say they were pretty good players.

The whole team needs to fight and scrape for every point because the threat of relegation is very real - this team DID just get beaten at home by an extremely gash bottom of the table Aberdeen side afterall, so I've no idea where this complacent "too good to go down" nonsense is derived from.

basehibby
03-01-2011, 02:37 PM

No but it would be a lot more comforting to hear something along the lines of - "we are under no illusions - our form has been poor and if it doesn't get better then we will be involved in a relegation scrap - every team in this league is capable of beating everyone else and we will fight for every point to try and pull ourselves up the table..."

On paper Hibs certainly do look too good to go down, but the evidence in front of our eyes this first half of the season suggests something very different - so, hearing a player come out with this line while we're second from bottom just shouts DELUSIONS OF GRANDUER in 6 foot high letters

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-01-2011, 02:39 PM
My concern is that the team somehow expect the present predicament to resolve itself and they really do think that they're far too good to get relegated.

Let's not kid ourselves on as nobody will do Hibs any favours and it's up to to the players to rise to the challenge and not shirk from their responsibilities otherwise relegation is a distinct possibility.

That is the long and the short of it for me as well. I am concerned that we are not top six. That we are so far down the league really worries me. The thought of playing out a list of meaningless games near the season end, in front of seven or eight thousand in a twenty thousand all seater ground worries me no end. How do you sell a club " on the down" to players that you hope will make it better.

Holmesdale Hibs
03-01-2011, 03:09 PM

I don't think he said too much wrong. I would be impressed if he could say anything at all without getting a hard time on here.

If he says we're **** and will go down then he gets slated.
If he says we'll stay up he gets slated.

Most of us are saying its lucky we have Hamilton and St. Mirren in the league otherwise we'd be ****ed and he could hardly come out and say that.

Beefster
03-01-2011, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't take any heed of Nish. 95% of players only go to the tabloids to talk pish.

Albion Hibs
03-01-2011, 04:22 PM
No but it would be a lot more comforting to hear something along the lines of - "we are under no illusions - our form has been poor and if it doesn't get better then we will be involved in a relegation scrap - every team in this league is capable of beating everyone else and we will fight for every point to try and pull ourselves up the table..."

On paper Hibs certainly do look too good to go down, but the evidence in front of our eyes this first half of the season suggests something very different - so, hearing a player come out with this line while we're second from bottom just shouts DELUSIONS OF GRANDUER in 6 foot high letters

It sounds like the biggest issue is how players are saying things? In which case perhaps you should both render yourselves available for writing media statements on behalf of the players / club?

At the end of the day, these guys will be far more aware of where things have gone wrong in a game and understand what they have to do. To say they seem to "expect things to sort themselves" and the dont understand the situation is ridiculous.

The wallow and pander to the fans media approach you seek is not one I am after and would not expect that from a professional whos aim should be to win and there belief is there is no reason why they wont.

Just my opinion and appreciate you have yours.

Golden Bear
03-01-2011, 04:36 PM
It sounds like the biggest issue is how players are saying things? In which case perhaps you should both render yourselves available for writing media statements on behalf of the players / club?

At the end of the day, these guys will be far more aware of where things have gone wrong in a game and understand what they have to do. To say they seem to "expect things to sort themselves" and the dont understand the situation is ridiculous.

The wallow and pander to the fans media approach you seek is not one I am after and would not expect that from a professional whos aim should be to win and there belief is there is no reason why they wont.

Just my opinion and appreciate you have yours.

I've always resisted from "Colin Nish" bashing as the guy gets a really hard time of it on this Messageboard.

It's CN today but other players have come out with similar statements in recent weeks and I really wish they would start practicing what they preach and put a few decent results together.

Actions speak louder than words after all.

ScottB
03-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Is that what we are going to do now is it? Pounce on every bit of comment coming out from the club and try and tear it apart so we have something to moan about?

I don't have much problem with what he's saying, he's towing the party line and trying to be upbeat?

Had Nish released a story to the press along the lines of 'Well, we were pretty mince against the Yams, and I had a chance to score but all that bloody booing put me off, we're shocking right now I know, I'd say we are working away and trying to fix that but no doubt the fans will just boo me some more.' Would anyone be happy?

What does anybody expect from a newspaper story exactly? They are gonna ring up a player and ask for some comments, the stock club response will be 'working hard, new manager getting his ideas across, if we keep trying we will do better, we don't think we will be relegated.' Or are we expecting the players to tear into each other, blame CC or Petrie or say they are planning to sell their house to deal with the drop in wages for playing First Division football next season?

Think everyone needs to take a deep breath round here and relax, as all this negativity, finger pointing and witch hunting is not going to help us or the team one jot.

Removed
03-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Is that what we are going to do now is it? Pounce on every bit of comment coming out from the club and try and tear it apart so we have something to moan about?

I don't have much problem with what he's saying, he's towing the party line and trying to be upbeat?

Had Nish released a story to the press along the lines of 'Well, we were pretty mince against the Yams, and I had a chance to score but all that bloody booing put me off, we're shocking right now I know, I'd say we are working away and trying to fix that but no doubt the fans will just boo me some more.' Would anyone be happy?

What does anybody expect from a newspaper story exactly? They are gonna ring up a player and ask for some comments, the stock club response will be 'working hard, new manager getting his ideas across, if we keep trying we will do better, we don't think we will be relegated.' Or are we expecting the players to tear into each other, blame CC or Petrie or say they are planning to sell their house to deal with the drop in wages for playing First Division football next season?

Think everyone needs to take a deep breath round here and relax, as all this negativity, finger pointing and witch hunting is not going to help us or the team one jot.

:agree:

Simple solution. Don't buy or read that *****y rag.