PDA

View Full Version : Kevin McBride out

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Has been told by CC to find another club, thoughts?

RoslinInstHibby
02-01-2011, 12:11 PM

really?:confused:

i would have kept him

Billy Whizz
02-01-2011, 12:11 PM

How the mighty have fallen. From Hibs captain to out the door in a few short months. Best move for both parties in my opinion.

Hibstrooper
02-01-2011, 12:13 PM
No big surprise as he has been totally out of the picture under Calderwood. Never thought he actually brought that much to the team so no big loss.

On the positive it looks like CC is trying to free up some space and money - hopefully that means players coming in.

.Sean.
02-01-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't doubt you :agree:

Calderwood does not rate him at all.

Golden Bear
02-01-2011, 12:21 PM
He played well for a spell last season - in fact about the same time as Liam Miller was at his best.

Neither have produced the goods since and it's now time to move on.

Newhaven
02-01-2011, 12:21 PM
plenty others before him I would empty

vla_di_vla
02-01-2011, 12:22 PM
No big surprise as he has been totally out of the picture under Calderwood. Never thought he actually brought that much to the team so no big loss.

On the positive it looks like CC is trying to free up some space and money - hopefully that means players coming in.

seems unfair to me. How many games has he played under CC? While not a match winner he always brought out the best in miller by always making himself available for a pass. What options does miller currently have in midfield? Its no wonder he loses possesion so often

hibiedude
02-01-2011, 12:25 PM
It appears the clear out has started....... NEXT

Toaods
02-01-2011, 12:25 PM
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WD-L5azssSY/STZFwBi95bI/AAAAAAAABTM/bblvNPqHPUM/s400/bovvered.jpg&imgrefurl=http://vimfromzim.blogspot.com/2008/12/bovverednah-man-im-downright-warrried.html&usg=__PGODkKV1LZ9P4yHIVYIue8MedZ0=&h=400&w=267&sz=32&hl=en&start=42&zoom=1&tbnid=jKe-hDjf-LDzTM:&tbnh=137&tbnw=91&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddo%2BI%2Blook%2Bbovverred%26um%3D1%26 hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1I7ADRA_en%26biw%3D1003%2 6bih%3D596%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=401&ei=fG4gTYzoDNG64gbQ87iGAg&oei=am4gTceFEdS7hAfY8Pi3Dg&esq=4&page=4&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:42&tx=37&ty=56

hibbill2002
02-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Source?

At The Edge
02-01-2011, 12:29 PM
i find this quite interesting, a lot of people said that Miller and McBride were too similar in style, i'm guessing and its only my opinion that CC is sticking with Miller, feels he can perhaps can get Miller back to his form that we all know he has.

The other thing that i'll watch is where McBride ends up, will he go down a division?

CC is moulding his team, fair play to him and fair play to him by releasing McBride early so the guy can get his career sorted out

Hibstrooper
02-01-2011, 12:32 PM
seems unfair to me. How many games has he played under CC? While not a match winner he always brought out the best in miller by always making himself available for a pass. What options does miller currently have in midfield? Its no wonder he loses possesion so often

Has he even played under Calderwood? I suppose that's the only strange thing as CC has given everyone else a chance or two as tries to find his best team but not McBride.

However he sees him every day in training and will have watched him bounce matches too. IMO He adds no attacking threat and I don't think he brings a lot defensively either. He's fine if you want to pass the ball back and forward or side to side in your own half but that's not what we need.

Golden Bear
02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Source?

The paper that is the font of all knowledge on the Scottish football scene - the Sunday Post of course.

:wink:

vla_di_vla
02-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Has he even played under Calderwood? I suppose that's the only strange thing as CC has given everyone else a chance or two as tries to find his best team but not McBride.

However he sees him every day in training and will have watched him bounce matches too. IMO He adds no attacking threat and I don't think he brings a lot defensively either. He's fine if you want to pass the ball back and forward or side to side in your own half but that's not what we need.

I can't remember him playing at all which is the strange part. What he does offer is making himself available for a pass and being able to retain possession which is everything we need right now

At The Edge
02-01-2011, 12:38 PM
See post 13, last sentence..

green leaves
02-01-2011, 12:39 PM

Was told by someone who works at East Mains,that McBride was one of the players causing unrest in the dressing room and was seen as,almost Yogi's spy,cliping others players to the gaffer.

fife hfc
02-01-2011, 12:41 PM
I don't rate him so not too bothered that CC has released him.

Saorsa
02-01-2011, 12:49 PM
plenty others before him I would empty:agree:

just so long as they get emptied too though.

Hibbie0762
02-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I reckon that Calderwood's tenure as Hibs manager will be defined by the players he moves on and the players he brings to the club both in the current window and at the end of the season. Being realistic (ok, pessimistic), we can pretty well write off this season as regards any sort of success on the park. The best for which we can hope is to stay up and maybe start to see some green shoots for next season.

I recognise that the clearout is essential and has to start somewhere, but McBride? Given that both his and Miller's better games have been when they have played together, maybe Calderwood should have tried that out a few times first, even if only to give one or both of them enough rope. It is not as if some other players on the fringes have not been indulged with numerous appearances to prove themselves (Nish? :greengrin ) since he took over from Hughes. Unless the justification is that McBride is one of the causes of the much-rumoured dressing room unrest?

Plus we hear rumours of Miller being off to Hearts anyway. If it happens, might be the next Paul Hartley, more likely be the next Brian Hamilton I suspect.

Wotherspiniesta
02-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I actually quite like McBride.

He was pivotal to our good start to last season. After he picked up his injury, we were never the same IMO.

Some people have quite short memories.

RickyS
02-01-2011, 12:58 PM

problem is, unless we pay him off he wont go anywhere as they aint capable of earning Hibs money anywhere else

vla_di_vla
02-01-2011, 01:00 PM

He was pivotal to our good start to last season. After he picked up his injury, we were never the same IMO.

Thats the mcbride i remember. The unrest scenario makes more sense

blackpoolhibs
02-01-2011, 01:02 PM

:agree: I'd keep him, although CC might have better in mind, or McBride may have asked to go if he's not in the managers plans?

aberhibsfc
02-01-2011, 01:06 PM
:agree:

Beefster
02-01-2011, 01:14 PM
I'd imagine that, for the wage that we're paying him, he's not value for money.

No great loss.

hibbill2002
02-01-2011, 01:20 PM
The paper that is the font of all knowledge on the Scottish football scene - the Sunday Post of course.

Cheers :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
02-01-2011, 01:24 PM

I read on here he was the next Pat Stanton...

new malkyhib
02-01-2011, 01:52 PM

How's Paw Broon doing, juggling the Aberdeen job along with the demands of the Bairn, the twins' nonsense, Daphne's diets, and looking for Gran'paw's wallies?

Judas Iscariot
02-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Wouldn't be the 1st I'd empty..

Spike Mandela
02-01-2011, 02:21 PM

Wouldn't be the 1st I'd empty..

Maybe not but wouldn't exactly build a team around him either.

Ordinary at best.

Hibs90
02-01-2011, 03:13 PM

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-01-2011, 03:33 PM
How's Paw Broon doing, juggling the Aberdeen job along with the demands of the Bairn, the twins' nonsense, Daphne's diets, and looking for Gran'paw's wallies?

Braw!

:greengrin

DH1875
02-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Shame, would have kept him as a squad player.

Hibee Daz
02-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Maybe not but wouldn't exactly build a team around him either.

Ordinary at best.

That how I view him anaw, it's about time we beefed up our squad and by that I mean a few more 6ft+ players that aren't easily shoved off the ball!

MB62
02-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Just one of the many average players we have that has put us in the dire position we are in. He may not be the worst at the club but if we are to improve, he, along with plenty others, have to be moved on.

We need 5 or 6 MINIMUM signed during this January window to help drag us out of this mess, unfortunately I doubt we will get them and I therefore fear the worst for the rest of this season.

PeterboroHibee
02-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Think people are being a bit harsh on him, he was an important player for us during those first 6 months when we were flying. Seems to have struggled a bit since then with injury.

If CC doesnt want him then fair enough, and if he is a bit disruptive in the dressing room then he should go, but otherwise think hes a good squad player (at least).

Cropley10
02-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Just one of the many average players we have that has put us in the dire position we are in. He may not be the worst at the club but if we are to improve, he, along with plenty others, have to be moved on.

We need 5 or 6 MINIMUM signed during this January window to help drag us out of this mess, unfortunately I doubt we will get them and I therefore fear the worst for the rest of this season.

:agree: we're judging him against the rest of that squad. The reality is that for us to improve players of his like; age, wage, position, physicality etc need to be moved on.

If we're getting rid of McBride that's a good thing - it surely means there are plenty of others who are going to face the same outcome?

essexhibee
02-01-2011, 06:44 PM
No great loss.

down-the-slope
02-01-2011, 06:53 PM

:agree: Miller has been gash since McBride fell out the picture..

He was leading the POY rankings at Christmas 2009...got injured and never got back to top form or regularly in the team...he's a footballer...hope its because he has lost it and not because CC preffers hardmen in there :rolleyes:

PapillonVert
02-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Only him?

Colin, a wee hint, now is the time for total slash and burn. Go for it!

Keith_M
02-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Miller has been gash since McBride fell out the picture..

I felt that he made Miller's job easier. It was a bit like a Hod carrier and the skilled Brickie. Miller's no longer got the Bricks.......

bigl
02-01-2011, 07:37 PM
:taxi
Was told by someone who works at East Mains,that McBride was one of the players causing unrest in the dressing room and was seen as,almost Yogi's spy,cliping others players to the gaffer.

what a load of crap

Andy74
02-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Calderwood wants to be a bit more direct. Mcbride is happiest keeping possession and passing it. I can see how he won't be fitting into the plans.

IWasThere2016
02-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Calderwood wants to be a bit more direct. Mcbride is happiest keeping possession and passing it. I can see how he won't be fitting into the plans.

Has CC said that, Andy?

Any links?

Shrekko
02-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Not a world beater but pretty good in the role he had when we had Miller and Zemmama flying last season up to Christmas. I think he suffered when the midfield became full of similar players when Zouma got injured.

Didn't have many bad games for Hibs though. Can think of 2/3 midfielders still in the plans that I couldn't say the same for!!

TornadoHibby
02-01-2011, 08:19 PM

I felt that he made Miller's job easier. It was a bit like a Hod carrier and the skilled Brickie. Miller's no longer got the Bricks.......

Maybe co-incidence that the team generally played better when these two played together!? :dunno: :hmmm:

bigl
02-01-2011, 08:21 PM
:agree: Miller has been gash since McBride fell out the picture..

He was leading the POY rankings at Christmas 2009...got injured and never got back to top form or regularly in the team...he's a footballer...hope its because he has lost it and not because CC preffers hardmen in there :rolleyes:
McBride played 29 league games out of a possible 38 last season and of the 9 games he missed through injury we lost 5 of them. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure we finished 4th in the league and qualified for Europe.
This season, McBride has played for 45 minutes out of Calderwood's 11 games and we've lost 7 of them. Correct me if I'm wrong but if St Mirren get even 1 point from their game in hand we're second bottom of the league.
If the new management team think Kevin McBride isn't good enough to make an 18 man squad for a game, after the performances I've witnessed from our midfield, then correct me if I'm wrong but I think we could be heading for the 1st division.
You're perfectly correct he is a footballer and he certainly hasn't lost it and watching the style of play I've seen since CC took over the reins that is probably the reason he's not quoted. McBride's passing game is no good to a manager who doesn't want to pass, but would rather his team hit a long hopeful punt up the pitch as early as possible.
As for preferring "hardmen", I hope not, but for me there's a difference between a hard player and a brave player. It's easy to kick opponents and elbow them in the face but it takes a brave player to get on the ball and make passes regardless of the occasion or circumstances. McBride certainly falls into that category.
Every midfield player at the club has been given a chance to hold down a position in the team except Kevin McBride. Correct me if I'm wrong but 2 wins in 11 games shows that we're not getting it right and unless CC has come with a pre-conceived opinion of the boy it's time to give him the same chance he has given to all the others and maybe then our fortunes will change.

sydneyhibee
02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
no one is ever happy eh?

every other post on this forum is demanding a wholesale clear out

and now there are complaints regarding the selections

wtf?

muirhousehibby
02-01-2011, 08:38 PM
McBride played 29 league games out of a possible 38 last season and of the 9 games he missed through injury we lost 5 of them. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure we finished 4th in the league and qualified for Europe.
This season, McBride has played for 45 minutes out of Calderwood's 11 games and we've lost 7 of them. Correct me if I'm wrong but if St Mirren get even 1 point from their game in hand we're second bottom of the league.
If the new management team think Kevin McBride isn't good enough to make an 18 man squad for a game, after the performances I've witnessed from our midfield, then correct me if I'm wrong but I think we could be heading for the 1st division.
You're perfectly correct he is a footballer and he certainly hasn't lost it and watching the style of play I've seen since CC took over the reins that is probably the reason he's not quoted. McBride's passing game is no good to a manager who doesn't want to pass, but would rather his team hit a long hopeful punt up the pitch as early as possible.
As for preferring "hardmen", I hope not, but for me there's a difference between a hard player and a brave player. It's easy to kick opponents and elbow them in the face but it takes a brave player to get on the ball and make passes regardless of the occasion or circumstances. McBride certainly falls into that category.
Every midfield player at the club has been given a chance to hold down a position in the team except Kevin McBride. Correct me if I'm wrong but 2 wins in 11 games shows that we're not getting it right and unless CC has come with a pre-conceived opinion of the boy it's time to give him the same chance he has given to all the others and maybe then our fortunes will change.

I agree with what your saying and yes he's not been giving the same chance everyone else has had. Think his last game was 4-2 defeat to aberdeen,if i mind right.

He's never played 45 games for any club he's been at either and he's nearly 30. I find that strange.

BTW 12 posts nearly all about Mcbride are you connected to the McBride's lol

Andy74
02-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Has CC said that, Andy?

Any links?

I actually mean that in a good way. He wants us to try and play or football in the final third. Mcbride tends to like to play it from the back and just keep it going back there. Works well in that type of set up with the right players around but we seemed to be far to slow and deep with it.

I like mcbride but can see why it'd be better for him to move on.

IWasThere2016
02-01-2011, 08:55 PM
I actually mean that in a good way. He wants us to try and play or football in the final third. Mcbride tends to like to play it from the back and just keep it going back there. Works well in that type of set up with the right players around but we seemed to be far to slow and deep with it.

I like mcbride but can see why it'd be better for him to move on.

Gotcha :aok:

bigl
02-01-2011, 08:55 PM
I agree with what your saying and yes he's not been giving the same chance everyone else has had. Think his last game was 4-2 defeat to aberdeen,if i mind right.

He's never played 45 games for any club he's been at either and he's nearly 30. I find that strange.

BTW 12 posts nearly all about Mcbride are you connected to the McBride's lol
I said 45 minutes not games.

muirhousehibby
02-01-2011, 09:01 PM
I said 45 minutes not games.

yeah i know m8. 45 minutes against Aberdeen.

I was pointing out that he's never played 45 games for any club he's been at and he's nearly 30. Maybe he never settles anywhere.

Wasn't having a go at you m8.

GreenCastle
02-01-2011, 09:18 PM

Fair enough - I would have liked to have seen him play more under the current set up.

You must be related to Kevin or know the guy pretty well :agree:

Beefster
02-01-2011, 09:29 PM

As far as I can see, every single post of yours in 15 months has been defending McBride or bumming him up. You're either McBride, his mate or part of his family.

All fair enough as long as you don't try and pretend that you're not hopelessly biased.

bigl
02-01-2011, 10:20 PM
yeah i know m8. 45 minutes against Aberdeen.

I was pointing out that he's never played 45 games for any club he's been at and he's nearly 30. Maybe he never settles anywhere.

Wasn't having a go at you m8.
He's played over 50 games for Falkirk in the SPL and over 60 for Motherwell in the SPL with a CIS Cup Final and a Scottish Cup Final in between.

muirhousehibby
02-01-2011, 10:34 PM
He's played over 50 games for Falkirk in the SPL and over 60 for Motherwell in the SPL with a CIS Cup Final and a Scottish Cup Final in between.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_McBride_(footballer)

ok, was going by this link...

Danderhall Hibs
02-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Is anyone going to correct bigl if he's wrong?

fife hfc
02-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Did not Motherwell and falkirk fans think he was mince:confused: everything they said about him appears to be true to me. When things are going well he is a world beater and when not he is as useful as liam miller. Maybe that is the problem both are too light weight to play in a team that is fighting for survival. He should have been given a chance but in Millers place not with him.

Greenblood70
02-01-2011, 11:03 PM
I thought McBride put in a decent shift until the injury at St Mirren. Miller seemed to play his best football beside him in the midfield also.

However, when we were found out by other teams as being one paced and one dimensional he couldn't seem to adjust and was one of the worst cuplrits in our non progressive tippy tappy about in our own half until we lose posession style. (although tbf to McBride he was probably told to play that way by Yogi amongst his Dutch/Barcelona nonsense.)

As others have mentoned there's a good few others I'd empty before him, especially that fraud De Graaf if we're looking at freeing up wages.

NaeTechnoHibby
02-01-2011, 11:03 PM

Don't knock it.....we have a Hibby in there :thumbsup:

Hibernian Verse
02-01-2011, 11:04 PM

Kevin seems to be quite upset at some of the comments being made :greengrin

Maybe not McBride but it's someone connected with the club :confused:

Joined in October 2009...

matty_f
03-01-2011, 12:59 AM

:tee hee:

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Not sure where the thought of McBride and Miller being to similar came from. McBride and Paddy Cregg were more or less the same player though and that led to him being emptied. Last year he was my POTY ,up to the festive break anyway. Maybe him and Miller and the team going off the boil all at once was no coincidence. Our midfield in general, has no attacking or defensive cohesion just now anyway. Too many busy wee players, and maybe McBride just shone out a bit as he was never scared to tackle.

Albion Hibs
03-01-2011, 02:01 PM
no one is ever happy eh?

every other post on this forum is demanding a wholesale clear out

and now there are complaints regarding the selections

wtf?

Agreed. A lot of, 'did not think he would have gone' or 'would have kept him from the squad', ironcally from the people that constantly demand a clear out and 75,000 new players to be brought in by the middle of the January window.

Billy Whizz
03-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Kevin seems to be quite upset at some of the comments being made :greengrin

Maybe not McBride but it's someone connected with the club :confused:

Joined in October 2009...

Who?

PC Stamp
03-01-2011, 05:22 PM
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Adams-insists-McBride-still-part.6668732.jp

Funny how things change in the space of a couple of weeks?

eastmainsmsh
03-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Think people are being a bit harsh on him, he was an important player for us during those first 6 months when we were flying. Seems to have struggled a bit since then with injury.

If CC doesnt want him then fair enough, and if he is a bit disruptive in the dressing room then he should go, but otherwise think hes a good squad player (at least).

Id keep him but with Murray playing holding role where mcbride plays ... but with murrays Versatility then imo keep mcbride bin De Graaf

Id play this line up

BROWN
THICOT,STEPHENS,,DICKOH,HANLON.
WOTHERSPOON,MCBRIDE,MURRAY,STEVENSON
ZEMMAMA,RIORDAN

Toaods
03-01-2011, 05:33 PM

stats mean Jack 5hit.

McBride was as poor as anyone in the second half of last season and was murder at the start of this season. His CV shows he never settles down anywhere so it's no great shock at his age, he's being moved on.

I only have two memories of him at ER... a terrific drive on the run when he first arrived (must have been a freak, never tried since) and getting caught up with Lafferty last season.

Alex Trager
03-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Whenever someone gets emptied people come on here and say they are a disruption in the dressing room, he certainly doesn't seem the type to be disruptive...

matty_f
03-01-2011, 06:15 PM
stats mean Jack 5hit.

McBride was as poor as anyone in the second half of last season and was murder at the start of this season. His CV shows he never settles down anywhere so it's no great shock at his age, he's being moved on.

I only have two memories of him at ER... a terrific drive on the run when he first arrived (must have been a freak, never tried since) and getting caught up with Lafferty last season.

Woooooooooooooosh!

03-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Quite liked McBride tbh, as someone previously said, he links up well with Miller in the midfield, but just got to trust that calderwood knows what hes doing and can bring in a better replacement.