PDA

View Full Version : Those were my 1st games this season - thoughts.

lyonhibs
02-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Because of my usual location - Oxford - I've watched/listened/read from afar as this season has entirely failed to get off the ground. I've seen a few games in the LHSC and been far from encouraged, but it's difficult to form a concrete opinion based on that and what one habitually reads on here, due to the normal element of hysteria and opinionated hyberbole that will colour most posts on here.

Nevertheless, I've been taken aback by the state of our club on the field, which is where it matters:

1) All our defenders treat the ball like a orb of molten lava. With the occassional exception of Hart, the rest of them seem to almost wilfully avoid passing the ball to a green shirt. This just heaps pressure on us from the get-go, and wave after wave of self-inflicted pressure is always bound to tell. They should all be told that if a pass to a man in green isn't on, then the ball should be got tae ****, and by that I mean down towards the opposition corner flags, not a powder-puff slice into central midfield.

2) On which note, Ian Murray's heart is willing, but his body limits the range he can cover. Miller/De Graaf/whomever else plays alongside him CM need to take a look at themselves, because there was precious little supporting effort from them when we didn't have the ball, against Aberdeen and Hearts especially.

3) This has been on-going since <Insert season here>, but we have absolutely no pace in our team, whatsoever. We're relying 100% on Zemmamma's return injecting creativity to the midfield (as Riordan is no left winger), but what's creativity without someone with a bit of pace to take advantage of it?? I hope a fully-fit Duffy is going to provide it, because we could have had the ball all day yesterday and still not scored.

Finally, I'll have to revise my long-held belief that, pish though we are, we're too good to go down. Having witnessed the car-crash that is Hibernian FC at the moment, I can safely say that those players, playing like that, coupled with any sort of resurgence in Hamilton's form, will but us in a perilous situation indeed, and relegation isn't a vague, nebulous threat, but a distinct possibility.

I had the chance to bump into STF whilst waiting at my mum's office just before Christmas. Let us hope, as he said then, that the New Year does bring us some Sunshine on Leith, or the future (long term as well as immediate term) looks very bleak for Hibernian FC and her fans.

GGTTH.