PDA

View Full Version : Some questions for all

fatbloke
01-01-2011, 08:18 PM
1. Does anyone see us as serious challengers for anything in the next 5 years?
2. Are we really a top club or do we simply make up the numbers?
3. Does anyone really feel part of the Hibernian family just now or is the family "disfunctional"?
4. How many ST holders are, even this early considering not renewing?
5. How many players really care anymore?
6. How many think we will be relegated or come close to it.

I am now in my 50th year of watching Hibs, and spend over £600 on ST's but right at this moment the 51st may be a wee while away. I know many who no longer go to ER and who simply laugh and shake their head when I try to get them to go. Many no longer see themselves as Hibbies or simply do not care.

This is not a reaction to today either this has been building since March 2007. I get quite annoyed and depressed at the huge empty spaces around me in FF stand - there are times I could spray machine gun fire and not hit anyone. trouble is I get the feeling that those at the top do not care. I am probably wrong but it's how I feel.

OK Happy New Year to all moan over - think I will go and get drunk and reminisce over better times:flag:

Big Ed
01-01-2011, 08:26 PM
3. Does anyone really feel part of the Hibernian family just now or is the family "disfunctional"?

I am now in my 50th year of watching Hibs, and spend over £600 on ST's but right at this moment the 51st may be a wee while away. I know many who no longer go to ER and who simply laugh and shake their head when I try to get them to go. Many no longer see themselves as Hibbies or simply do not care.

This is not a reaction to today either this has been building since March 2007. I get quite annoyed and depressed at the huge empty spaces around me in FF stand - there are times I could spray machine gun fire and not hit anyone. trouble is I get the feeling that those at the top do not care. I am probably wrong but it's how I feel.

OK Happy New Year to all moan over - think I will go and get drunk and reminisce over better times:flag:

All of the Club's problems would go away if we have a decent product on the park. IMO it is as simple as that.
16 players are out of contract at the end of the season and I would imagine that the vast majority will not be offered new deals.
Given that, there is a tremendous oppertunity for a Manager to bring in an entire team of players, playing the style and tactics of his choice.
If we are still an SPL club that is.

Gatecrasher
01-01-2011, 08:29 PM
1. Does anyone see us as serious challengers for anything in the next 5 years?not the league but we can do well in the cups
2. Are we really a top club or do we simply make up the numbers? there are no top clubs in scotland outwith the OF, however we should be in the top 6
3. Does anyone really feel part of the Hibernian family just now or is the family "disfunctional"?the Hibernian family surely means we stick together through thick and thin
4. How many ST holders are, even this early considering not renewing? not me, im going to renew no matter what happens
5. How many players really care anymore? Calderwood will weed out the wasters and deal with them
6. How many think we will be relegated or come close to it. i think we will be in the SPL next season

Keep the faith

GGTTH :flag:

Kaiser1962
01-01-2011, 08:30 PM
I would like to think we can, however three trophies in those fifty years suggests that winning competitions is not a regular thing for us. And the game has changed beyond all recognition in that time. Pre Bosman we could have held on to guys like Bamba (and others) against their wishes and frozen them out the game if they did not comply. That has changed, rightly so, and we have to manage the situation in Hibs best interests and their are times when this is truly frustrating.

What really grinds my gears though is that we try to do things right and our club is run in a fiscally, and morally, responsible fashion. Our opponents today are not. They are millions and millions in debt (like others) and care not a jot. They cant pay the corgi registered plumber on time but still outbid us on personal terms for players and seem to spend with impunity.

Our club pays more than almost all our competitors but we do not use that money as well as we should.

Its difficult at this time and people are hurting but I am hopeful for the future.

Sylar
01-01-2011, 08:42 PM

1. No - not a good enough squad, a lack of apparent quality youth players coming through and a continued reluctance to invest in the team to the necessary degree in favour of a positive bank balance will see us operating with financial rewards instead of footballing rewards in mind.

2. "Top club" is a bit of a subjective term - we have superb facilities, a good sized fanbase, a rich history and good commercial links. The SPL is a small league though and every club has turns of positive seasons. If your question is purely on footballing merits, then one bad season a club size does not make.

3. My apathy stretches well beyond Hibs and into the broader picture of "dysfunction" with the bigger Scottish Footballing family. Hibs being pish this year is doing nothing to help that.

4. I guess "not applicable" is the answer here, but based on this season, I certainly wouldn't be enticed as a new customer to invest in one next year.

5. I'm willing to bet they care enough in the sense that they're constantly getting lambasted, not earning win bonuses and seriously reducing their own chances of playing football at a top level. This certainly isn't transferring to the park though, where a lack of basic skills or commitment are evident in abundance for far too many players.

6. I don't think anyone can say if we'll be relegated or not yet, but unless there's a serious shakeup, we're relying on the non-improvement of other clubs around us to ensure we avoid another trip to the 1st division.

Bayern Bru
01-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Depending on the squad, league cup and a European spot are our best bets IMO. Unless of course we finally manage to win the 'big' cup.
We could and should be. For whatever reason, we fluctuate between near brilliance at times(Mowbray/Collins) and unmitigated p*sh (most of 2010). I think we simply do not have the budget to maintain the 'good,' especially if our brightest prospects are being snapped up by the ugly sisters or are going down south.
Always will. No matter how bad it is, I'll never stop going. There's definitely still something resembling 'the Hibernian family' but I fear if wholesale changes are not made and we continue to languish in the depths of the SPL or even worse, are relegated, it might be in danger of being classed as 'dysfunctional.'
Never an option. I'll always renew. I may very well be mad.

I don't want to name names, but one could probably count the number of players who genuinely have the fight, desire and attitude we'd expect.
We'll certainly finish bottom 6, and I think we'll finish 10th, but not so far ahead of 11th and 12th.[/I][/B]

SloopJB
01-01-2011, 08:49 PM
1. cups, top 6, European spot
2. There are only really two top teams in Scotland and the rest are also ran's, live with it.
3. I believe the Hibernian Family is a marketing gimmick, if you buy into it then fine, if you don't then fine.
4. Didn't renew this season which would be easy to blame on performances. in truth there were a number of factors in making my decision.
5. I think they all care, they have to in order to earn their living.
6. Dunno

TheEastTerrace
01-01-2011, 08:51 PM
1. Does anyone see us as serious challengers for anything in the next 5 years? Two trophies in my lifetime, and three in last 50 years, so law of averages says it'll be another 10 years before our next honour, most likely the league cup. Under the status quo in Scotland, no-one outside the OF will ever win the title again IMO. Yes, that is a very depressing statement
2. Are we really a top club or do we simply make up the numbers?Depends on your definition of what constitutes a top club
3. Does anyone really feel part of the Hibernian family just now or is the family "disfunctional"? Personally, I've given up on Scottish football. I can see nothing but this country becoming a backwater of world football. I will always be a Hibby, but right now, can't see when I'll be back to ER. None of my mates go anymore, which was a big part of our social lives, and I don't have a family, so not going to go on my pea pod. The money puts me off too. Can't pay to watch the dross standards of football. The jokers playing for Hibs don't deserve my hard earned cash. I'm sorry that hurts the club in the pocket but get players who look like they give a flying f£ck
4. How many ST holders are, even this early considering not renewing? Would imagine the club will be hit hard next season. 2011 is going to be one hell of a year in the UK and football just might become a side issue.
5. How many players really care anymore? At Hibs, those who do are in the minority. Generally, whichever club gives the biggest payday will get their badge kissed
6. How many think we will be relegated or come close to it. Worst Hibs team I've seen in my years supporting the club, including Duff Jimmy's team. Hamilton or St Mirren might just save us, but at the moment, Hibs can't buy a win. January and February, notoriously bad periods for us will define our season IMO.

:agree:

ScottB
01-01-2011, 09:15 PM

Jeezo, the doom and gloom merchants are out in force. How topsie turvey is the SPL outside of the SPL? Last season us and Dundee United were flying high, Hearts were struggling, this year Hearts running into the distance while our clubs are mince. Killie were favourites for the drop this year and are going great guns. You can't predict squat in the SPL outwith the Old Firm season to season.

It's a bit of a Hearts obsession, trying to quantify who is a big or top club. We are no bigger or smaller than the other established SPL sides.

I support the club, that we are mince this year makes little difference to me on that score.

I don't have one, largely due to being unemployed and / or a student, should I be in a financial position to do so next season, and living in the city, I would consider buying one.

A good question, certainly not Bamba, who people are bleating about going as if he grew up on Easter Road. I think Riordan, Murray, Nish and Hogg appear to care to me.

We won't go down, but bottom 6 is likely.

down-the-slope
01-01-2011, 09:19 PM
1. yes
2. yes in the small pond thats the SPL
3. Yes
4. no idea - But not I
5. 7
6. no idea - but not I

RickyS
01-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Depending on the squad, league cup and a European spot are our best bets IMO. Unless of course we finally manage to win the 'big' cup.
We could and should be. For whatever reason, we fluctuate between near brilliance at times(Mowbray/Collins) and unmitigated p*sh (most of 2010). I think we simply do not have the budget to maintain the 'good,' especially if our brightest prospects are being snapped up by the ugly sisters or are going down south.
Always will. No matter how bad it is, I'll never stop going. There's definitely still something resembling 'the Hibernian family' but I fear if wholesale changes are not made and we continue to languish in the depths of the SPL or even worse, are relegated, it might be in danger of being classed as 'dysfunctional.'
Never an option. I'll always renew. I may very well be mad.

I don't want to name names, but one could probably count the number of players who genuinely have the fight, desire and attitude we'd expect.
We'll certainly finish bottom 6, and I think we'll finish 10th, but not so far ahead of 11th and 12th.[/I][/B]

is it a problem that the players we are relying on to keep us in the league are pretty sure they aint staying so wont be that bothered if we drop out?
none of them seem to be playing as if they are playing for a contract.

Sir David Gray
01-01-2011, 09:36 PM
1-Not at this precise moment, no.

2-We are a top club (in Scottish terms) and always will be, but we have a mediocre set of players representing our club at the moment.

3-The "Hibernian family" is a lot of marketing nonsense that means very little to me personally.

4-I will continue to renew my season ticket, regardless of how good/bad things get on the pitch. I would watch Hibs in the third division. Do I enjoy going to watch Hibs just and am I looking forward to next season? No, I'm not.

5-I have no idea, you would need to ask them that yourself.

6-I have stated on numerous occasions in the past couple of months that we are in serious danger of being relegated this season. If you are joint-second bottom half way through the season then you have to be considered as strong relegation candidates.

This month will tell us a lot about where we are going to be at the end of the season. Today was the first of four matches that we're going to have this month against the current top six sides and we also have a match against the only side in the league that has fewer points than us. If we lose to Hamilton in a couple of weeks then we really have to start worrying.

IberianHibernian
01-01-2011, 10:20 PM
1. Level of SPL has been terrible for last few years so not impossible in next 5 years - in our case not in next 2 years though even if relegated ( and I don`t think that`ll happen ) we could still challenge in next 5 years .
2. Top club in Scotland but unless there`s serious ( by serious I mean without problems which Hearts obviously have with stadium etc ) investment or OF leave Scottish league , no more " top " than half a dozen other non OF SPL clubs .
3. There are thousands of Hibernian fans all over the world who feel part of or want to feel part of Hibernian FC - that`s why perceived lack of motivation by players and directors etc hurts a lot . I watched match on Hibernian TV today and it hurt me a lot today not to have been in ground despite result - I don`t need any marketing thing about " Hibernian Family " but still think that club does very little to increase support .
4. As an overseas fan , I will renew my TV season ticket . If I lived in Edinburgh I would go to all or almost every home match and most away matches but might not buy a season ticket as I don`t like sitting in same seat every match and like going to matches with friends or relatives who are not regulars ( make at least part of stadium with unnumbered seats please and cut out nonsense about databases ) .
5. No idea . Not keen on badgekissing and would like to see club make players feel more part of club ( wishful thinking perhaps ) .
6. Relegation ? Posssible definitely but SPL is a very low level so there is very little difference between clubs. The last time we were relegated we came back with a stronger team and support which helped us for a few years after . Don`t want to see us go down but not convinced those in charge care as much as us .

new malkyhib
01-01-2011, 10:29 PM
There doesn't appear to be any idealists at ER in the positions that matter.There's very little passion in evidence either is there? (Unless there is behind the scenes of course, and the club prefer not to broadcast it.)

This Board only react IMO, they don't act proactively. We'd have to be the first club in the SPL to sell someone when the transfer window's one day old. Will we act so quick in bringing a decent replacement in?

The low media profile of the club is poor, and has been for a long time. We do things "privately", conduct our business correctly, and only say something when we have something to say, etc., etc.

That kind of approach doesn't put bums on seats i'm afraid, and it's beginning to knock the stuffing out of a few folk that the club APPEAR on the face of it not to care what the fans think. I'm considering not renewing my ST next year even if we do stay up, i'm that disillusioned with the Hibs right now.

One thing makes we think we will spend money this month, as the bottom line of what relegation may cost will dictate that we'll have to, and when the Board have taken flak in the past they have stumped up the readies.

So we can cry "it's not fair" when Hearts spend money they don't have, but that'll not worry them tonight or in the weeks ahead when they're rubbing our noses in it - as they seem to revel in doing - does anyone at ER feel like we're feeling tonight do you think?

fatbloke
01-01-2011, 10:33 PM
There doesn't appear to be any idealists at ER in the positions that matter.There's very little passion in evidence either is there? (Unless there is behind the scenes of course, and the club prefer not to broadcast it.)

This Board only react IMO, they don't act proactively. We'd have to be the first club in the SPL to sell someone when the transfer window's one day old. Will we act so quick in bringing a decent replacement in?

The low media profile of the club is poor, and has been for a long time. We do things "privately", conduct our business correctly, and only say something when we have something to say, etc., etc.

That kind of approach doesn't put bums on seats i'm afraid, and it's beginning to knock the stuffing out of a few folk that the club APPEAR on the face of it not to care what the fans think. I'm considering not renewing my ST next year even if we do stay up, i'm that disillusioned with the Hibs right now.

One thing makes we think we will spend money this month, as the bottom line of what relegation may cost will dictate that we'll have to, and when the Board have taken flak in the past they have stumped up the readies.

So we can cry "it's not fair" when Hearts spend money they don't have, but that'll not worry them tonight or in the weeks ahead when they're rubbing our noses in it - as they seem to revel in doing - does anyone at ER feel like we're feeling tonight do you think?

:top marks

down the slope
01-01-2011, 10:39 PM

Spot on with everything you have said, i feel we the fans have been treated like some sort of cash fodder that will stump up whatever the board decides.
As for anyone at ER feel bad tonight well the players will be but the board will be rolling about in the Bamba transfer money and congratulating themselves on another piece of business without a bye your leave for the timing or reason for it.

sesoim
01-01-2011, 10:56 PM
At the end of the day, if were in the top four, qualifying for Europe, playing half decent football, beating Hearts regularly and occasionally winning the Scottish Cup, there'd be nothing for me to complain about.

And yet, in spite of of having a better support than most SPL teams, the above now seems an impossible dream. There is something wrong somewhere.

In my view the problem is Petrie - he doesn't have a clue about appointing managers, and as a result we've signed inadequate players and regularly lose games to smallers teams with better managers. Why else would Killie, Inverness, Motherwell, St Johnstone and Dundee Utd be above us? Yes, we've sold loads of players, but the playing budget was over £4M last season - way above all the teams I've just mentioned.

It's ages since we have had a manager capable of spotting bargains - other teams do it - we used to do it (Mowbray got Sproule, Murphy and Jones for peanuts), but everybody since has basically gotten what we've paid for.

If CC wants to prove he is a decent manger, he needs to find a few bargains - maybe lower league players hungry to succeed. Surely he has a few in mind or what would be the point in him taking this job? He has proved already he is incapable of motivating or organizing the current squad.

Speedway
01-01-2011, 11:13 PM

This Board only react IMO, they don't act proactively. Apart from building a training centre, stand and securing sponsorships in a recession you mean? We'd have to be the first club in the SPL to sell someone when the transfer window's one day old. That's because we're one of the few clubs that ever have a player worth selling. Will we act so quick in bringing a decent replacement in? Here's here, Paul Hanlon. Stephens moves up one.

The low media profile of the club is poor, and has been for a long time. What do we have to promote exactly? We do things "privately", conduct our business correctly, and only say something when we have something to say, etc., etc.

Hibs have been rafael for bordering 40 years now, bar a season here and a season there. Still we have the fans showing up.

They will again, but at a cost to us long term obviously.

No, they think less emotionally than we do.

SloopJB
01-01-2011, 11:27 PM

Sorry to disagree while you wallow in your own self pity, your first point is supposition, What would an idealist do and what are the positions that matter?

We only react and are not proactive in the same sentence as we must be the first spl club to sell on day one. make your mind up, surely they didn't decide to sell today.
The club have their own website where they ask people to subscibe for exclusive information, generates money for the club so they strike a balance over what they sell and what they give away.

We are only half way through the season and you may not renew your ST next year, that's fine it's your decision, honestly, you can decide.
Sounds a bit like. if they don'tdo this I'm not playing. diddums.

You could go onto a fans? forum and whine. that should change things.

new malkyhib
01-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Sorry to disagree while you wallow in your own self pity, your first point is supposition, What would an idealist do and what are the positions that matter?

Apology accepted, although sorry in turn to disagree with you - I mustn't be allowed to be p1ssed off at another defeat from that lot must I?

An idealist would shout the clubs' name from the rooftops and try to generate a bit excitement about the place. Balance sheets and incremental growth wears a bit thin when the team on the park is dire. The only postion that seems to matter at ER is Chief Executive - he seems to make all the decisions and answers to nobody.

We only react and are not proactive in the same sentence as we must be the first spl club to sell on day one. make your mind up, surely they didn't decide to sell today.

No, they probably decided to sell a few days ago - so sorry again, they were "proactive" there but it'll all be about how they "react" in terms of who we get in.

The club have their own website where they ask people to subscibe for exclusive information, generates money for the club so they strike a balance over what they sell and what they give away.

And if you can't afford to suscribe for this "exclusive information" what then?

We are only half way through the season and you may not renew your ST next year, that's fine it's your decision, honestly, you can decide.
Sounds a bit like. if they don'tdo this I'm not playing. diddums.

I'm only echoing what other posters have said - it's maybe the only form of real protest that us oiks have...

Or you could e-mail the club as I have done twice this week and get glib platitudes back as an answer which I still wouldn't share on here; as it's a breach of trust and I wouldn't do that to anybody, much as I don't think much to the job they're doing. Ultimately, we could sit on our hands and do nowt, and just hope the situation will fix itself. That should change things.

Forza Fred
02-01-2011, 06:11 AM

But surely that is what forums like this are for ..in part.

They allow us to express an opinion, sometimes out of sheer frustration, and it must be said affection.

At the end of the day we are pretty powerless to get things changed - we may be the 'emotional owners' of the club but it is the major shareholder(s) who have the power make the changes

I don't know may Hibs fans at the moment who are not totally frusrated with the way things are going - myself included - and where else to vent those frustrations but on here.

I'm lucky - I've just jumped in teh swimming pool to 'cool off' - most of you are not so lucky.:cool2: