PDA

View Full Version : What to take from that

Captain Trips
01-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Thicot was ok as was Brown

Hibs desperatly trying to not lose a goal for 90mins, I take nothing from that other than seeing a great club reduced to trying to hang on and only doing so through Hearts not taking more advantage of the shocking space. It was eventually taken. Disgrace we are in this state absolute disgrace.

Pathetic team, pathetic tactics, pathetic board, fantastic support no excuse there.

James70
01-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Plenty fight and effort but little in the way of skill, I fear for the future.

SlickShoes
Havent had the chance to see hibs live for some time but agree with everything you said. We were hanging on from the get go, and everything about us is terrible. It really depends now on how Hamilton do in there games in hand and the game against us if we can win that it changes things but until then id say every team in the league is better than us.

Greenblood70
Thicot was ok as was Brown

Hibs desperatly trying to not lose a goal for 90mins, I take nothing from that other than seeing a great club reduced to trying to hang on and only doing so through Hearts not taking more advantage of the shocking space. It was eventually taken. Disgrace we are in this state absolute disgrace.

Pathetic team, pathetic tactics, pathetic board, fantastic support no excuse there.

Very accurate assesment. Agree with every word.

Captain Trips
01-01-2011, 02:34 PM

No, didnt see enough of that I saw petty fouls, dreadful display.

SlickShoes
01-01-2011, 02:35 PM
No, didnt see enough of that I saw petty fouls, dreadful display.

The amount of terrible clearances from defense was very worrying too, stuff that you see in kids football. Also our midfield gave the ball away more than they passed it to our own players.

sesoim
01-01-2011, 02:36 PM
There is nothing we can take from that game, apart form the fact that we didn't disgrace ourselves and get hammered.

But that is 8 points out of 33 for CC now. To me, him and Petrie should be under pressure. Petrie has lumbered us with another bad manager. January is a HUGE month for the club. If he makes the wrong signings, CC will get us relegated.

Captain Trips
The people that went to that and all of us really deserve a club in this state? I think we are a lot better than that

100% to the fans there today.

CallumLaidlaw
Not a lot. Duffy looked ok with the little service he had. Dickoh played well until lacking commitment at the goal. Brown was class bar his kicking. Major changes needed

hibiedude
01-01-2011, 02:39 PM
I have to say being a Hibs fan has always had its ups and downs but the state we find ourselves in at present is simply not acceptable.

On the day of this match we find out one of our best players has more or less been sold.

Captain Trips
I said on here I have doubts over CC but I have doubts over 90% of that team. Again I fail to see what CC offers that Yogi didnt. This club needs an overhaul of the like we have not seen in years, will it get it? I doubt it.

I do not think CC is the person to do that job, Yogi was probably not the man either but should have waited for that experienced man.

Its a ****ing shambles Petrie shambles.

down the slope
We were second to every ball in midfield for most of the game, when it came to a 50-50 header you know who was going to win it, And just let me say that Liam Miller must have thought he was part of hearts settup as he gave them the ball at every opportunity.
A makeshift team did not to bad all things considered but we need some giants in midfield.
Oh and de Graff , dont know what to say but i thik others can fill in the blanks.

Nelly070
01-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Yes we are in a mess but considering that most on here thought we would get beat by a barrow load, it's not a bad result !

Biggie
01-01-2011, 02:40 PM
The amount of terrible clearances from defense was very worrying too, stuff that you see in kids football. Also our midfield gave the ball away more than they passed it to our own players.

I'm with you slick...the amount of times we just sent it back where it came from was worrying....hitting and hoping it hits a green jersey.....garbage.
The midfield was not creative at all...and anonymous up front.....why no Stevenson, or Zemmama ?....Not going to slaughter calderwood, but I don't see him improving this team.....we need massive investment/change in the squad.

Ferryhibby
01-01-2011, 02:43 PM
we all know what were gettin from hibs these days to me ther was a loy more fight in the team today, ok noone to put ther foot on the ball but we havent had that for ages wev got to start somewher

Bayern Bru
01-01-2011, 02:43 PM
There is nothing we can take from that game, apart form the fact that we didn't disgrace ourselves and get hammered.

But that is 8 points out of 33 for CC now. To me, him and Petrie should be under pressure. Petrie has lumbered us with another bad manager. January is a HUGE month for the club. If he makes the wrong signings, CC will get us relegated.

CC is working with someone else's team. Don't think we can class him as a 'bad manager' until he's had the chance to bring in the players he wants etc. Sounds tired and cliched but I don't think we can really judge him on Yogi's players, for the most part.

PeeJay
01-01-2011, 02:49 PM
CC is working with someone else's team. Don't think we can class him as a 'bad manager' until he's had the chance to bring in the players he wants etc. Sounds tired and cliched but I don't think we can really judge him on Yogi's players, for the most part.

CC has had long enough to arrange for at least some form of organisation in the team , why hasn't he made a difference, tightened things up, eliminated the basic mistakes ... I'm not judging him on Yogi's players, but solely on results, surely that's all that counts?

Forza Fred
01-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Luckily I fell asleep and awokie only to see the second half.

I mistakenly understood the commentator to say that we had had a man sent off, and certainly the way we played in that second half it appeared as if there were more players in a hearts strip than a Hibs one.

I can't remember seeing a poorer performance by a Hibs side, whose sole target seemed to be kick the ball up the park away from ever increasing danger.

Had hearts had a decent team, then we would have been embariasingly humped.

Dear oh dear, what have we become.

Hopefully Hamilton will continue to get beat, because I can;t see us winning many games this season.

Bob Box Fish
01-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Just heading back from the game.

We were terrible, every time we had the ball at the back it got lumped up in the air. Effort was there but no quality at all.

If Hamilton pick up some form we will be playing first division football next year.

RickyS
01-01-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm with you slick...the amount of times we just sent it back where it came from was worrying....hitting and hoping it hits a green jersey.....garbage.
The midfield was not creative at all...and anonymous up front.....why no Stevenson, or Zemmama ?....Not going to slaughter calderwood, but I don't see him improving this team.....we need massive investment/change in the squad.

apparently said after the game there wont be big change, if that right use the Bamba money to get Deek signed cos the rest wont lift us any higher i dont think

Allant1981
01-01-2011, 02:57 PM
apart from brown who i thought was good today i wouldnt keep any of the crap, thicot is never a full back, dickoh - average, hanlon - average, grounds - average, murray - average, ge graaf - pish, miller - avergae, riordan -obviously has talent but can tplay with this crap, trakys -average

i sent a txt in to bbc scotland after the utd game about miller saying hearts were free to waste their thousands per week on him and alan preston pretty much said i was talking crap, after another woeful game can he still say miller is class

Saorsa
01-01-2011, 03:01 PM
I think we're in big trouble :agree:

Baldy Foghorn
01-01-2011, 03:26 PM
apparently said after the game there wont be big change, if that right use the Bamba money to get Deek signed cos the rest wont lift us any higher i dont think

Yes because Deeks was absolutely amazing today...... A so called Hibs man playing against their rivals, and he done hee haw.... Magic

easty
01-01-2011, 03:35 PM

There was plenty fight and determination from Hearts, we were good at complaining and giving away fouls. Nowhere near enough desire in our side. The Hearts players looked like the knew what it was to play in an Edinburgh Derby, Hibs really didn't.

Andy74
01-01-2011, 03:54 PM
CC has had long enough to arrange for at least some form of organisation in the team , why hasn't he made a difference, tightened things up, eliminated the basic mistakes ... I'm not judging him on Yogi's players, but solely on results, surely that's all that counts?
I cant recall yogi being sacked for his signings. Nothing has changed in tactics, formations etc. No change. Pointless sacking.

AFKA5814_Hibs
01-01-2011, 03:58 PM
If we could have held out we might have got a point. we did'nt.

Cropley10
01-01-2011, 03:58 PM

But we KEEP saying this. And it doesn't happen!!

We've now got four keepers and Edwin De Graff.

He has made no difference so far. None. At. All.

We've just lost Bamba FFS but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a replacement coming in...

cad
01-01-2011, 04:06 PM
The only thing I see is an open door for many of our players,if reducing the squad to pay better wages and get better players in then so be it .
I dont know if thats the answer,one thing for sure hes got his work cut out .
How many would you keep out of our present squad not many I would think 4 or 5 at a push 6 thats an awful lot of cash being payed for zip .
Getting worse cant happen this is as bad as it gets which Im sorry to say, time for the manager to do his job and move the majority of our players on .

Big Ed
01-01-2011, 04:09 PM

How can you blame a Manager when players make elementry mistakes in every single game?
We were like the Keystone Cops at almost every set piece that came into our box. Players mis-kicking the ball (and getting lucky) in our own six yard box.
Some will say that he picks the team, but when the likes of Hogg are your only alternative, then you are ****ed.
These players simply are not good enough and, much as it pains me to say it, they are now unbeaten in nine, so this was never likely to be easy.
I am as dissapointed as the next man, but the problems that we have are deep rooted and I'm surprised that some folk are beginning to wake up to that.

Alfred E Newman
01-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Given our recent form I thought we did reasonably well. The object of the exercice today was not to get hammered. We defended well untill the final minutes and Nish could have silenced the boo boys if his shot had went in at the far post.
It is embarassing to have to play that way in a derby but that is the level we have sunk to unfortunately.
As for De Graaf, the sooner he follows Bamba out the door the better. A total imposter.

Sir David Gray
01-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Our main problem is that we quite often offer absolutely no attacking threat whatsoever and that happened today.

Liam Miller in the middle of the park was awful today, continually gifting possession away and showed very little desire in trying to get the ball back.

I thought the first half was ok but we didn't really come out for the second half.

In saying that, I thought we were going to get absolutely hammered today, so I'm quite relieved that it was only 1-0. Just gutted at the way the defeat came about.

We didn't need to play today for me to realise that we're in serious danger of being relegated. Today's performance has only confirmed what I already knew.

lucky
01-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Today we battled well and competed against a Hearts team at the top of their game. The biggest problem for Hibs is the midfield. Murray is slow and cant pass De Gaffe is slower and does not get the ball to pass. Miller only plays sometimes and has the heart of a mouse. Riordan is not a midfielder.

Brown played well as did Thicot, Dickho and Hanlon. Grounds is not good enough. Up front Trakis tries but is limited. Duffy looks like he could be a decent player once he is fit.

Overall we need to get some decent ball players into the side. a minimum of 2 midfielders and a left back urgently.

CC still has my support but he needs to pick a settled side. 5 changes two games in a row in panicking and looks like he does not know what he is doing

kaimendhibs
01-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Not long back from the bus shelter and must say i am gutted at the performance more than the result. We created nowt all game, our midfield is woeful. I dont like to single anyone out normally but DeGraaf is total murder. Didnt take a 2nd touch all day, tried to get rid everytime he got the ball and never made a tackle. Looks like he is involved but all he does is run towards the ball without actually doing anything. Total imposter:grr::grr:

hibbybrian
01-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I dont like to single anyone out normally but DeGraaf is total murder. Didnt take a 2nd touch all day, tried to get rid everytime he got the ball and never made a tackle. Looks like he is involved but all he does is run towards the ball without actually doing anything. Total imposter:grr::grr:

To be fair to him it must be difficult to take a second touch when the ball is so far away after the first touch :rolleyes:

Golden Bear
01-01-2011, 04:50 PM
We've accumulated a very, very poor squad of players in recent years and there's not a Manager on earth who could mould them into a decent team.

It's going to be a trying few months. Hopefully we can survive and look forward to next season with a much changed squad who can play entertaining and skilful football.

Golden Bear
01-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Not long back from the bus shelter and must say i am gutted at the performance more than the result. We created nowt all game, our midfield is woeful. I dont like to single anyone out normally but DeGraaf is total murder. Didnt take a 2nd touch all day, tried to get rid everytime he got the ball and never made a tackle. Looks like he is involved but all he does is run towards the ball without actually doing anything. Total imposter:grr::grr:

He looked like a fish out of water today but he was not alone in the midfield area.

down the slope
01-01-2011, 04:55 PM

I think we must have signed De Graaf's faither , remember he was supposed to be a box to box player ?, tell you what is was not the penalty box Hughes was talking about !.

stubru59
01-01-2011, 04:55 PM
A poor try at making the best of a bad job. Would another manager have fared any better?

Short answer, no. Will CC fix it? Depends on the numbers and quality of the players brought in during January.

Get that wrong and we're in deep trouble.

PeeJay
01-01-2011, 04:58 PM
How can you blame a Manager when players make elementry mistakes in every single game?

Football is about mistakes - I have no problem with players making mistakes, it's human nature. We make too many mistakes though, we have no shape, no organisation, no discernible tactics, no motivation, and so on - I do have a problem when a new manager comes in yet nothing changes. What do they do at the training ground? I don't expect him to make this bunch of players world beaters, but they should be working on the basics every day of the week, and every player should - to quote Jeffries - know exactly what his job is on the park, that's not the case with us. Why? Who is then responsible? What difference is Calderwood making? Why does he give the impression that he is already clutching at straws? Why do people assume the transfer window will solve everything? I'm not convinced he is the man to save Hibs from relegation, never mind having us challenging for honours. A good manager should be able to organise a team and have them play tactically better than we are currently doing against teams "not so good as us", surely?

We're stuck with him though for the time being, so I hope he gets in some new blood and finally works out what it means to be the manager of an SPL club. We needs results.

Albanian Hibs
01-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I am obviously in the minority here but I didn't think we were that bad. I have definately saw us play a lot worse than that recently.

snooky
01-01-2011, 05:04 PM

DeG has the acceleration of a steamroller from a standing start. Reminds me of Brian Kerr. Plays the game 2 or 3 seconds behind everybody else.

I thought Brown, Thicot, Hanlon and Duffy did no' bad. Miller, Grounds, Murray, Dickoh, Trakis, average. Deek was never in the game.
Nish covers a lot of ground by that I mean he's always on his back. I've never seen a player fall over so easily. Not what we need for the upcoming dogfight.

It's not like me to say this but, I thought the ref handled this difficult game quite well.

AFKA5814_Hibs
01-01-2011, 05:05 PM
I am obviously in the minority here but I didn't think we were that bad. I have definately saw us play a lot worse than that recently.

IMO we showed nothing in attack. Where did we really look like scoring? TBH, I didn't think we would concede, I thought the game had 0-0 written all over it, but we didn't really look like scoring.

ahibby
01-01-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure that CC has got the shape right but he has been giving youth its chance with Hanlon, Galbraith and Wotherspoon all on the park at the same time this week. Having two wingers is fine but you don't expect Riordan to get on the end of crosses in to the box, well atleast I don't. I hope he is allowed to bring in decent players who can play the way he wants the team to but I fear that won't be the case. It'd be nice to see some light at the end of the tunnel. The little glimmer of hope I have is that in a months time Zemama and Duffy will be firing on all cylinders and we can get some points on the board. Every game is important

McIntosh
01-01-2011, 05:14 PM
We've accumulated a very, very poor squad of players in recent years and there's not a Manager on earth who could mould them into a decent team.

It's going to be a trying few months. Hopefully we can survive and look forward to next season with a much changed squad who can play entertaining and skilful football.

:top marksQuoted for truth.

Over the next month as much of the dead wood must be cleared as possible. Players with the experience, skill and fight to change our predicment must be brought in. This will cost financially but we have put ourselves in this situation. Rod Petrie will have to change the habit of a lifetime and bring in players infinitely better than the one we have let go.

From my viewing we need a clear spine and structure to the team.

greenteam
01-01-2011, 05:22 PM
I agree with a poster earlier. Our midfield is unreal. once we sort out the easiest position to sort out in football, we will be OK again. I say ok because our defence is crap too, but it will be enough to finish 8th in the PREM. I think the big word here is TIME...........We need time to sort this out... We have the best of everything apart from the football, but class comes from class.............that we now have...It wont take long

CapitalHibs
01-01-2011, 05:23 PM
IMO we showed nothing in attack. Where did we really look like scoring? TBH, I didn't think we would concede, I thought the game had 0-0 written all over it, but we didn't really look like scoring.

Well I saw Dickoh and Nish each narrowly miss a gilt-edged scoring opportunity.

Lago
01-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Havent had the chance to see hibs live for some time but agree with everything you said. We were hanging on from the get go, and everything about us is terrible. It really depends now on how Hamilton do in there games in hand and the game against us if we can win that it changes things but until then id say every team in the league is better than us.

from the get go, what is the get go, why not just say start?

Steve-O
01-01-2011, 05:53 PM
It was a strange sort of game but I don't think many could say that we were going all out for the win. Hearts were all over us and we simply hoped we could have nicked a goal.

The worst thing is that we really should've nicked at least one...Dickoh's miss was quite simply outrageous. Nish's was a not bad effort which I thought was in at the time.

Poor performances from Riordan, Trakys, Miller (for 75% of the game anyway), and De Graaf.

We seriously need an influential midfielder, a centre half, a full back for each side, and possibly another striker and it's disheartening to hear CC say there won't be any big changes!

Big Ed
01-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Football is about mistakes - I have no problem with players making mistakes, it's human nature. We make too many mistakes though, we have no shape, no organisation, no discernible tactics, no motivation, and so on - I do have a problem when a new manager comes in yet nothing changes. What do they do at the training ground? I don't expect him to make this bunch of players world beaters, but they should be working on the basics every day of the week, and every player should - to quote Jeffries - know exactly what his job is on the park, that's not the case with us. Why? Who is then responsible? What difference is Calderwood making? Why does he give the impression that he is already clutching at straws? Why do people assume the transfer window will solve everything? I'm not convinced he is the man to save Hibs from relegation, never mind having us challenging for honours. A good manager should be able to organise a team and have them play tactically better than we are currently doing against teams "not so good as us", surely?

We're stuck with him though for the time being, so I hope he gets in some new blood and finally works out what it means to be the manager of an SPL club. We needs results.

You can set a team up with all the game plans and all the tactics you like; if you **** about in your own box you'll lose goals and we don't score that many.
We played a team on an excellent unbeaten run which has taken them to touching distance of the OF, on their own park. The Manager sets out to match their system and to try and stifle their confidence. I'd say that was a fair shout given our own lack of self-belief. For 85 minutes we were in with a shout of an excellent point, then we let their sub run three quarters of the length of the park before he picks out their giant striker, handily (for them) unmarked in the box.
Look at Bamba's **** up against United. Hogg's effort for Aberdeen's first. No amount of training ground routines can eliminate that. These ****ers do that all by themselves.
The transfer window provides the first oppertunity for him to avoid using players he doesn't rate. Let's just see how it goes.

YetholmHibee
01-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Very disappointed in Liam Miller's show - not at the races, slow to react, bad decisions galore!

Poor Keeper distribution!

Not much penetration into the box!

Central Midfield not commanding enough!

On the whole, the team does not have a strong back-bone - Back-bone needs . . .
Great Keeper
2 Central Defenders
2 Central midfileders
2 Strikers

Take your pick . . . where do you start.
I suggest defence.

scoopyboy
01-01-2011, 09:11 PM
I felt sorry for the defence, I thought the back four plus the goalie done ok.

If I was one of them I would feel really let down by the players in front of me.

The ball was never retained for any length of time.

RickyS
01-01-2011, 09:12 PM
You can set a team up with all the game plans and all the tactics you like; if you **** about in your own box you'll lose goals and we don't score that many.
We played a team on an excellent unbeaten run which has taken them to touching distance of the OF, on their own park. The Manager sets out to match their system and to try and stifle their confidence. I'd say that was a fair shout given our own lack of self-belief. For 85 minutes we were in with a shout of an excellent point, then we let their sub run three quarters of the length of the park before he picks out their giant striker, handily (for them) unmarked in the box.
Look at Bamba's **** up against United. Hogg's effort for Aberdeen's first. No amount of training ground routines can eliminate that. These ****ers do that all by themselves.
The transfer window provides the first oppertunity for him to avoid using players he doesn't rate. Let's just see how it goes.

:agree:
hopefully with CC's comments that there are to be very few changes its just hibs way of keeping it quiet because we could do with an addition in DEF MID ATT to boost us then we can look at ditching the ******* thats performed so badly for nearly a calender year. I seem to remember when Mowbray arrived we had few signed players and he had to wheel and deal and it never done his chances any harm.

IberianHibernian
01-01-2011, 09:22 PM
It was a strange sort of game but I don't think many could say that we were going all out for the win. Hearts were all over us and we simply hoped we could have nicked a goal.

The worst thing is that we really should've nicked at least one...Dickoh's miss was quite simply outrageous. Nish's was a not bad effort which I thought was in at the time.

Poor performances from Riordan, Trakys, Miller (for 75% of the game anyway), and De Graaf.

We seriously need an influential midfielder, a centre half, a full back for each side, and possibly another striker and it's disheartening to hear CC say there won't be any big changes!

IF Dickoh or Nish had taken their chances or ref had given clear penalty at end ( and we hadn`t missed it ! ) opinions would probably be very different here . Fact is that we`ve lost almost all of our talented players in last 2 or 3 years but even in a bad season not even the top teams in the league are hammering us . That`s not a great consolation for me cause I`m one of the Hibernian traditionalists who wants to see good play as much if not more than good results . On today`s evidence ( and I think too many fans worry about Derbies when considering strengths or weaknesses ) midfield is priority - with just one decent attacking midfield player today we could have capitalised on numerous mispasses from Hearts players ( for me that was difference in teams - we gave ball away constantly and there was danger , Hearts also gave ball away constantly but we didn`t know how to make the most of it and gave it back straight away ) .

BSEJVT
01-01-2011, 09:23 PM
I dont think we can take much from that.

The day of reckoning is here.

The board either back the manager (who shows no sign of getting to grips with the task) very heavily financially in the next month or need to be held to account.

I dont like to see managers changing the team heavily game after game. It smacks of not having a clue and rolling the dice hoping to get lucky.

I think its even worse that not only does he change the personnel, he changes the shape almost game by game.

The players are making both basic and horrendous errors but I dont think all the chopping and changing is helping the situation.

In Calderwood's defence he has a squad who are just about all as bad as each other, so it must be hard to say that player is a certain starter week in week out whilst this player is so pish I can forget all about him.

I would have expected to see a consistent shape and personnel starting to emerge by now though and it scares me that I dont.

Make no mistake though unless we bring in a minimum of 4 players ready to walk in and stiffen that team we will go down.

blackpoolhibs
01-01-2011, 09:23 PM

If I was one of them I would feel really let down by the players in front of me.

Spot on, Our midfield again let us down. De Graff, what a waste of space that guy has been since day one of him arriving. Legs that flail all over the place, not seemingly in control of their feet. Slower than mr slow from slowsville. Does get box to box, but maybe once a game, just in time to completely miss his customary open goal.

Murray, clatters one or two each game, but give him that round thing the opposition seem to like keeping more than us, and he *****s his pants, and just boots it in any direction, just seemingly happy to have got rid of the nasty thing.

Miller was poor, gave the ball away constantly, our creative midfielder, but created nothing.

Duffy worked his socks off, gave a decent performance, promising.

Riordan, did he play?

Hearts out muscled us all over the park, how they only won by a single goal is a blessing.

scoopyboy
01-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Spot on, Our midfield again let us down. De Graff, what a waste of space that guy has been since day one of him arriving. Legs that flail all over the place, not seemingly in control of their feet. Slower than mr slow from slowsville. Does get box to box, but maybe once a game, just in time to completely miss his customary open goal.

Murray, clatters one or two each game, but give him that round thing the opposition seem to like keeping more than us, and he *****s his pants, and just boots it in any direction, just seemingly happy to have got rid of the nasty thing.

Miller was poor, gave the ball away constantly, our creative midfielder, but created nothing.

Duffy worked his socks off, gave a decent performance, promising.

Riordan, did he play?

Hearts out muscled us all over the park, how they only won by a single goal is a blessing.

The one midfielder I feel for is Ian Murray. I'm 100% he is struggling with his health and he is going to struggle to recapture his form.

A crying shame but I feel next season will be his last.

blackpoolhibs
01-01-2011, 09:32 PM
The one midfielder I feel for is Ian Murray. I'm 100% he is struggling with his health and he is going to struggle to recapture his form.

A crying shame but I feel next season will be his last.

Really, i never knew that? Whats wrong with him?

RickyS
01-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Really, i never knew that? Whats wrong with him?

is it the reactive arthritis thing back again?

blackpoolhibs
01-01-2011, 09:38 PM

I dont know, thats why i asked the question? :confused:

3pm
01-01-2011, 09:38 PM

Scoopy,

I agree. I actually thought that was the best the back 4 defended all season...and I am a critic normally.

The issue is midfield and attack. We can't dominate the midfield and the ball won't stick in attack so it's a constant battle to keep a clean sheet.

Templeton was played superbly by Thicot and latterly, but to a lesser extent by Grounds, who I dislike. Why not do that all the time Jonny?

I actually don't think the back 4 deserved to concede but were let down by their peers. Prior to Hearts creating their best chances, we should have been 1 up through either Dickoh or Nish. Alas, we let ourselves down as usual.

Better, but a long, long way from acceptable.

By the way, while deserving to win the game, Hearts are murder. Split the Old Firm? Pish.

IWasThere2016
01-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Self-awareness is a good thing - and I agree with many of the comments from scoopy, Blackpool, Thorburn1 and Steve-O. The thing is it is no use the fans seeing things - we need CC (and RP) to see it, and address it too.

We need new players THIS window! And I think that's 3 or 4 in number also.

blackpoolhibs
01-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Scoopy,

I agree. I actually thought that was the best the back 4 defended all season...and I am a critic normally.

The issue is midfield and attack. We can dominate the midfield and the ball won't stick in attack so it's a constant battle to keep a clean sheet.

Templeton was played superbly by Thicot and latterly, but to a lesser extent by Grounds, who I dislike. Why not do that all the time Jonny?

I actually don't think the back 4 deserved to concede but were let down by their peers. Prior to Hearts creating their best chances, we should have been 1 up through either Dickoh or Nish. Alas, we let ourselves down as usual.

Better, but a long, long way from acceptable.

By the way, while deserving to win the game, Hearts are murder. Split the Old Firm? Pish.

Its been a long time since we did that?:boo hoo:

3pm
01-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Its been a long time since we did that?:boo hoo:

I edited that fella! Rest is valid IMO!! :o)

RickyS
01-01-2011, 09:43 PM
I dont know, thats why i asked the question? :confused:

sorry, meant to quote the poster with the info!

scoopyboy
01-01-2011, 09:43 PM

I don't think it ever really goes away.

I also don't think he ever bemoans the situation but it must be hard to take.

He does extra preparation for training and matches and IMO its starting to take its toll.

I have total respect for Nid and feel he has been dealt a bad hand.

blackpoolhibs
01-01-2011, 10:25 PM
I don't think it ever really goes away.

I also don't think he ever bemoans the situation but it must be hard to take.

He does extra preparation for training and matches and IMO its starting to take its toll.

I have total respect for Nid and feel he has been dealt a bad hand.

If this is true, then he's doing himself, or the team no favours imo. Its bad enough losing with 11 fit players, without having someone who may give 100% each game, but is less that 100% fit. Imo he's one of the main reasons we cant retain the ball.

BWhiteman1972
01-01-2011, 10:30 PM
We are in a very sorry position and I for one have serious concerns whether CC is the man to save us.

I appreciate he has inherited a very poor squad of players, but usually a new manager has some kind if effect on a squad. CC has returned 8 points out of 33, yet Craig Brown takes over an Aberdeen squad every bit as poor as ours and scores 7 points out of 9!!!

It is time to let the out of contract players we have move on and totally rebuild the team. If there are no substantial signings in January then serious questions have to be asked of Petrie.

Hamilton have 2 games in hand on us, we have to go there to play, are 5 points behind us and our next two home games are either side of the old firm. By the end of January we could be rock bottom with a manager who in my opinion is struggling to motivate a poor squad and who's tactics and team selections are becoming more questionable with each passing game. Why was Zemmama not brought on today to make some kind of impact in a game balanced at 0-0, even for the last 20 minutes. CC couldn't seriously think that either De Graaf of Miller were doing so well they they were irreplaceable.

scoopyboy
01-01-2011, 10:31 PM
If this is true, then he's doing himself, or the team no favours imo. Its bad enough losing with 11 fit players, without having someone who may give 100% each game, but is less that 100% fit. Imo he's one of the main reasons we cant retain the ball.

He was going through the same last season but was IMO playing a helluva lot better than he is now.

It could be of coarse that he is simply not playing very well.

He never seems to last 90 minutes despite being captain which you don't really expect.

3pm
01-01-2011, 11:00 PM
He was going through the same last season but was IMO playing a helluva lot better than he is now.

It could be of coarse that he is simply not playing very well.

He never seems to last 90 minutes despite being captain which you don't really expect.

Is that (not lasting 90) not because we are usually chasing the game and he makes way? EDG should never have played 90 today but is more likely to score - or get into those positions!

He ain't done yet in my view. Blackpool - I know you don't have a high opinion of his footballing abilities but does anybody? He wasn't a good footballer when he left for Ibrox, so don't see why he would be now?

We need a manager who knows how to use him. As 5hite as the SPL is, we still need a bit thought to go into team structure and use of / effictiveness of personnel.

Greenblood70
01-01-2011, 11:00 PM
About the only positive to take was the performance of Mark Brown.

It really saddened and disappointed me to see a Hibs team play in that manner today. I think Scott Booth (normally a slaver) mentioned in commentry that the fans must be unaccustomed to seeing such a poor footballing Hibs side. Well Scott we've been desensitized to it over the past year or so I'm afraid.

I'm not sure the defence did play that well, rather Hearts couldn't convert their numerous chances imho. The ball was bouncing around the box constantly and we looked as shakey as ever when any crosses came into the area. Granted the mitigating factor was our midfield couldn't retain possesion for more than 2 seconds with the ineffectual Miller and especially the waste of a jersey that is De Graaf culpable. De graaf must be pound for pound one of our worst ever signings..he has been an absolute disaster and how he remained on the pitch for 90 mmins is a mystery only maybe Arthur C Clarke could explain.

There's so much wrong with the team its difficult to know where to start, no pace, strength, precious little ability etc etc. If by some miracle we do sign 3-4 players in the window we have to look at the spine of the team imo. With the likes of Zemamma,Riordan (if he's offered a contract) , Wotherspoon, Brown etc we could slot players in around that spine. We're not going to solve all our problems in one window but we can improve just enough to remove the spectre of relegation. Without those improvements we're going to be in one hell of a fight with Hamilton and I'm not sure I fancy 16 out of contract, below average players to bail us out.

Speedway
01-01-2011, 11:07 PM
I said on here I have doubts over CC but I have doubts over 90% of that team. Again I fail to see what CC offers that Yogi didnt. This club needs an overhaul of the like we have not seen in years, will it get it? I doubt it.

I do not think CC is the person to do that job, Yogi was probably not the man either but should have waited for that experienced man.

Its a ****ing shambles Petrie shambles.

Played, managed and assistant managed at a higher level than Yogi. Makes more sense than Yogi, comes across as more credible than Yogi.

Only results matter in the end though.

new malkyhib
01-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Played, managed and assistant managed at a higher level than Yogi. Makes more sense than Yogi, comes across as more credible than Yogi.

Only results matter in the end though.

Lost out to Yogi last year when he applied for the job Speedway. Work that one out.

snooky
01-01-2011, 11:13 PM
About the only positive to take was the performance of Mark Brown.

It really saddened and disappointed me to see a Hibs team play in that manner today. I think Scott Booth (normally a slaver) mentioned in commentry that the fans must be unaccustomed to seeing such a poor footballing Hibs side. Well Scott we've been desensitized to it over the past year or so I'm afraid.

I'm not sure the defence did play that well, rather Hearts couldn't convert their numerous chances imho. The ball was bouncing around the box constantly and we looked as shakey as ever when any crosses came into the area. Granted the mitigating factor was our midfield couldn't retain possesion for more than 2 seconds with the ineffectual Miller and especially the waste of a jersey that is De Graaf culpable. De graaf must be pound for pound one of our worst ever signings..he has been an absolute disaster and how he remained on the pitch for 90 mmins is a mystery only maybe Arthur C Clarke could explain.

There's so much wrong with the team its difficult to know where to start, no pace, strength, precious little ability etc etc. If by some miracle we do sign 3-4 players in the window we have to look at the spine of the team imo. With the likes of Zemamma,Riordan (if he's offered a contract) , Wotherspoon, Brown etc we could slot players in around that spine. We're not going to solve all our problems in one window but we can improve just enough to remove the spectre of relegation. Without those improvements we're going to be in one hell of a fight with Hamilton and I'm not sure I fancy 16 out of contract, below average players to bail us out.
1) :agree: He's giving Alan O'Brien a run (bad choice of word?) for his money for that honour.
2) Couldn't believe how poor every player's first touch was. Incapable of trapping a wet bag of cement. Oh how I miss Murphy.

blackpoolhibs
01-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Is that (not lasting 90) not because we are usually chasing the game and he makes way? EDG should never have played 90 today but is more likely to score - or get into those positions!

He ain't done yet in my view. Blackpool - I know you don't have a high opinion of his footballing abilities but does anybody? He wasn't a good footballer when he left for Ibrox, so don't see why he would be now?

We need a manager who knows how to use him. As 5hite as the SPL is, we still need a bit thought to go into team structure and use of / effictiveness of personnel.

I agree EDG should never have played 90 minutes today, have we ever had as big a waste of money?

I also agree, murray has never been the best footballer in the world, but he got his move to ibrox because he tackled like a terrier, and could drive forward usually with the ball under reasonable control.

These days maybe through injury, or maybe through just bad play, he cant make those driving runs anymore. He also cant seem to keep the ball, finding a green shirt is a real problem for him, his passing is not good. And maybe more importantly, he's lost a yard of pace, frightening when you consider he was never quick in the first place.

Your hard man battling midfielder has to have the basics to go with those crunching tackles, and imo Murray has lost that part of his game.

McIntosh
01-01-2011, 11:54 PM
On the whole, the team does not have a strong back-bone - Back-bone needs . . .
Great Keeper
2 Central Defenders
2 Central midfileders
2 Strikers

Take your pick . . . where do you start.
I suggest defence.

Agreed we will need to start to :pray:. It is clear we need quality with the skill, experience and drive to get us back "to our rightful place at the very top of Scottish football" (Cecil Graham). If we do this we can be the masters of our own destiny and save this season, if not we are facing the abyss.

steakbake
02-01-2011, 12:11 AM
You cannot 'buy a backbone'. It has to be grown. CC could save this season by gradually bringing a couple of youngsters through. I reckon we can escape relegation without resorting to buying in the very kind of journeymen who've brought us to this sorry position.

As a club, we've always done well when the heart of the team were brought through from within.

BEEJ
02-01-2011, 12:55 AM
I dont like to see managers changing the team heavily game after game. It smacks of not having a clue and rolling the dice hoping to get lucky.

I think its even worse that not only does he change the personnel, he changes the shape almost game by game.

The players are making both basic and horrendous errors but I dont think all the chopping and changing is helping the situation.

I would have expected to see a consistent shape and personnel starting to emerge by now though and it scares me that I dont.

The squad now has a deeply ingrained losing mentality. Inconsistency in team selection isn't helping us to remedy that.

matty_f
02-01-2011, 12:58 AM

The squad now has a deeply ingrained losing mentality. Inconsistency in team selection isn't helping us to remedy that.

The key to Rangers' and the Yams' successes this season is a good team mentality based on a core group of players playing regularly together.

We haven't had a settled side since Collins took over.

Speedway
02-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Lost out to Yogi last year when he applied for the job Speedway. Work that one out.

Money, head ruling heart, terms....could have been anything.

BSEJVT
02-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Played, managed and assistant managed at a higher level than Yogi. Makes more sense than Yogi, comes across as more credible than Yogi.Only results matter in the end though.

I think I would need to take issue with that statement. Although given how awful Yogi's interviews were that's saying something!

Calderwood is terrible in interviews, he cant string a sentence together and appears like he is reading (badly) from a prepared script.

The only possible saving grace is that he is being deliberately obtuse and giving nothing away. Sort of like the rugby guy Brendan Ventner (SP) but without the humour!

I have my doubts though, it is just so monotone

Hibbie0762
02-01-2011, 09:51 AM
By the way, while deserving to win the game, Hearts are murder. Split the Old Firm? Pish.That is the one (very) small consolation which I take from yesterday's game - that Hearts are nowhere near as good as they think they are. Usual big talk but they will still finish third well behind the OF and will crash out of the Europa in their first round.

That Hibs team is pure murder, not entirely short of playing ability but perhaps the most gutless bunch I have seen in all my years at ER. With very few exceptions, CC would be better clearing them out asap and playing the youths for experience. At least there might be a bit more fight on the park and a bit less infighting (allegedly) in the dressing room.

But despite how bad we were, the reality is that Hibs came within bad misses from Dickoh and Nish of snatching the points. Of course then we were undone by some typically gruesome defending when a good hump out the park was required (player or ball - either would have done). OK, Hearts fans get the bragging rights but they can't take too much more from that game.

I generally try to stay positive - you can never draw too many conclusions from a Derby game - but afraid I have no ambitions for the rest of this season other thay staying up, and that looks an increasingly unlikely target for that team.

Kaiser1962
02-01-2011, 09:58 AM

Was there not quite a swell of opinion for Yogi at that time though Malky? Suggestions were that Rod would never give Yogi the job because of "personal issues" (Yogi drenched Rod in wine or some such thing) and Rod got pelters for letting the process become personal.
Yogi knew the Scottish game and CC didnt.

I do believe though that these two, CC and DA, can do a job given time.

Kaiser1962
02-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Think it's the accent T1. I have family from Stranraer and its a bit like holding a conversation with a Radio 4 newsreader i.e. apparently lacks fire or emotion. Listened to an interview with Kevin Kyle yesterday and he sounded even worse.
Bit like JC as well with his Borders twang.

I think I would need to take issue with that statement. Although given how awful Yogi's interviews were that's saying something!

Calderwood is terrible in interviews, he cant string a sentence together and appears like he is reading (badly) from a prepared script.

The only possible saving grace is that he is being deliberately obtuse and giving nothing away. Sort of like the rugby guy Brendan Ventner (SP) but without the humour!

I have my doubts though, it is just so monotone

blackpoolhibs
02-01-2011, 10:03 AM
That is the one (very) small consolation which I take from yesterday's game - that Hearts are nowhere near as good as they think they are. Usual big talk but they will still finish third well behind the OF and will crash out of the Europa in their first round.

That Hibs team is pure murder, not entirely short of playing ability but perhaps the most gutless bunch I have seen in all my years at ER. With very few exceptions, CC would be better clearing them out asap and playing the youths for experience. At least there might be a bit more fight on the park and a bit less infighting (allegedly) in the dressing room.

But despite how bad we were, the reality is that Hibs came within bad misses from Dickoh and Nish of snatching the points. Of course then we were undone by some typically gruesome defending when a good hump out the park was required (player or ball - either would have done). OK, Hearts fans get the bragging rights but they can't take too much more from that game.

I generally try to stay positive - you can never draw too many conclusions from a Derby game - but afraid I have no ambitions for the rest of this season other thay staying up, and that looks an increasingly unlikely target for that team.

No no no no no. Its thinking like this that makes me think we deserve this lot we have. Hearts missed chances too, the Gary Glen miss was a sitter, Nish would be getting hung drawn and quartered if he'd done that.

They had balls fizzing across our 6 yard box all game, hit the bar and controlled the game for the whole 90 minutes. If that was us who had won that game like they did, we'd be purring at how we murdered them, and how it should have been much more.

They were much better than us, you are kidding nobody if you think differently.

marinello59
02-01-2011, 10:06 AM
No no no no no. Its thinking like this that makes me think we deserve this lot we have. Hearts missed chances too, the Gary Glen miss was a sitter, Nish would be getting hung drawn and quartered if he'd done that.

They had balls fizzing across our 6 yard box all game, hit the bar and controlled the game for the whole 90 minutes. If that was us who had won that game like they did, we'd be purring at how we murdered them, and how it should have been much more.

They were much better than us, you are kidding nobody if you think differently.
:agree: Sad but true. We were never really in it.

Hibbie0762
02-01-2011, 10:48 AM

They were much better than us, you are kidding nobody if you think differently.No, no, no indeed, you have misinterpreted my post. Maybe my fault for not making myself as clear as I ought to have done, perhaps a natural consequence of the morning after the day before at this time of year.

They certainly were much better than us and fully deserved to take the points. Mine was that despite that, Hibs still had two good chances to steal the game late on - and wholly undeserved though that would have been, the post-match dialogue might then have been a bit different. The Jambos to whom I was talking after the game were not crowing incidentally - they thought that Hearts' efforts were a bit laboured and had expected much better. Better team or not (and they clearly were) they thought that they were going to have to settle for a draw in a typical Derby game.

But the rest of my previous post I hope makes it clear that I am under no illusions as to the extent of the current crisis - and I do not think that is too strong a word - at ER. We are looking at major surgery here and there will be no short term fix. It may get much worse before it starts to get better, I fear.

I still don't think Hearts are any world-beaters though, they are just much much better than Hibs at the moment. Plus they know what it means to play for the jersey, especially in a Derby.

blackpoolhibs
02-01-2011, 12:58 PM
No, no, no indeed, you have misinterpreted my post. Maybe my fault for not making myself as clear as I ought to have done, perhaps a natural consequence of the morning after the day before at this time of year.

They certainly were much better than us and fully deserved to take the points. Mine was that despite that, Hibs still had two good chances to steal the game late on - and wholly undeserved though that would have been, the post-match dialogue might then have been a bit different. The Jambos to whom I was talking after the game were not crowing incidentally - they thought that Hearts' efforts were a bit laboured and had expected much better. Better team or not (and they clearly were) they thought that they were going to have to settle for a draw in a typical Derby game.

But the rest of my previous post I hope makes it clear that I am under no illusions as to the extent of the current crisis - and I do not think that is too strong a word - at ER. We are looking at major surgery here and there will be no short term fix. It may get much worse before it starts to get better, I fear.

I still don't think Hearts are any world-beaters though, they are just much much better than Hibs at the moment. Plus they know what it means to play for the jersey, especially in a Derby.

Sorry if i got the wrong end of the stick, but when you said we came within 2 chances of snatching a win, it did seem to me a rather one sided view, considering the chances, better chances they had. We were poor, i actually like you thought hearts were better in every department, bar maybe the keeper.

Major surgery please. :agree:

Hibbie0762
02-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Sorry if i got the wrong end of the stick, but when you said we came within 2 chances of snatching a win, it did seem to me a rather one sided view, considering the chances, better chances they had. We were poor, i actually like you thought hearts were better in every department, bar maybe the keeper.

Major surgery please. :agree:Happy to accept your gracious apology equally graciously, and a belated Happy New Year to you and to all fellow Hibbies :greengrin

Had Hibs sneaked it - and the reality is that they came within a Nish of doing so, though admittedly that is quite a large margin of error - it would have been a bigger injustice than the Great Train Robbery. But that is Derbies for you, and it is not as if Hibs have not been on the receiving end of similar thefts occasionally, as Wayne Foster's half time cameo appearance reminded us all too well.

But none of that disguises the fact that Hibs yesterday were beyond boufin', that the playing end of the club is in a Hell of a mess and that drastic measures are needed. Major surgery indeed - nurse, the large scalpel please.

new malkyhib
02-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Was there not quite a swell of opinion for Yogi at that time though Malky? Suggestions were that Rod would never give Yogi the job because of "personal issues" (Yogi drenched Rod in wine or some such thing) and Rod got pelters for letting the process become personal.
Yogi knew the Scottish game and CC didnt.

I do believe though that these two, CC and DA, can do a job given time.

I don't know is the honest answer Kaiser, and it's not often i'm stuck for an opinion on all things Hibs:wink: - in fact I very near agreed with you on this ocassion, before pulling myself up short:greengrin

I just think that we lack people with passion at the club from the guys at the top through to the players on the park - did detect a bit more dig from them yesterday though, just woefully short on quality. The manager leaves me cold in his interviews too, however the guy cannot help the way he talks I suppose.

There's no much I envy about Hearts, other than I really think we could big up the derby fixture as much as they do - we might end up winning our share again - and in the process shutting up classless no-marks like their manager and the odious Mr Locke.

Kaiser1962
02-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Christ! If we start agreeing Malky the world has turned on its head. I am pleased you had the good grace to restrain yourself.:greengrin

And I cant argue with the last part.

Happy New Year :flag:

I don't know is the honest answer Kaiser, and it's not often i'm stuck for an opinion on all things Hibs:wink: - in fact I very near agreed with you on this ocassion, before pulling myself up short:greengrin

I just think that we lack people with passion at the club from the guys at the top through to the players on the park - did detect a bit more dig from them yesterday though, just woefully short on quality. The manager leaves me cold in his interviews too, however the guy cannot help the way he talks I suppose.

There's no much I envy about Hearts, other than I really think we could big up the derby fixture as much as they do - we might end up winning our share again - and in the process shutting up classless no-marks like their manager and the odious Mr Locke.

JimBHibees
02-01-2011, 08:56 PM
I thought we battled ok and defended pretty well without keeping possession of the ball. The way we have been playing a draw would have been decent and I thought there was a decent shape to the team with Templeton being kept quiet. Though Hanlon was excellent and a few additions will help and the criticism of CC is ridiculous as to me he will do a good job given a chance by the fans and support by the Board.

If we had taken a draw I think it would have been good. Time for a bit of long term thinking and patience. Lets see who he brings in this month as with Zouma and Duffy hopefully getting fit we will IMO only get better.

NAE NOOKIE
03-01-2011, 12:56 PM
In answer to the question ...... Not much.

I cannot see how CC can make a decent team out of that group of players. They have vastly underperformed for Yogi and now him. I was surprsed that Yogi, given the kind of guy he is, seemed unable to motivate them.

They now have a new manager which normally gets a big reaction from a clubs players, at least at the beginning, but not it would appear from this lot. Which begs the question, are they capable of improvement under any manager?

CC himself doesnt seem to know what constitutes his best line up and under him so far our attempts at attacking football have been nothing short of pathetic.

I would certainly keep the following:

Spooney.... An excellent young player who shouldn't suffer having his confidence destroyed playing with this lot.

Galbraith..... Could be good as an impact player, though not convinced as a starter yet.

Brown..... Proved over the last 3 games what a very good keeper he is. Canny kick for toffee though.

Riordan .... But only with the right support, coz with the lack of service he has been subjected to lately he might as well not be on the park.

zemmamma.... The best weapon we have, if he can stay fit for 5 minutes.

Duffy.... Looks like he could be handy with some match practice and like Deeks some decent service.

Dickoh.... Could come good and deserves a chance.

Hanlon..... Disappointed with his apparent lack of progress, but young and like Spooney it cant help having no help from so called senior players. IMO he can get better if given some support.

As for the rest. I thank some of them for good service to Hibs in the past, some of the others can sod off.