PDA

View Full Version : A Manager who takes responsibility - how refreshing

johncrobertson@
30-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Fed up listening to Mr McGoo blaming everyone but himself for the demise of Aberdeen - how refreshing to have a Manager who recognises that the buck stops with him. I have great faith that the partnership of Calderwood and Adams will turn things around after the January window.

Calderwood quote;

Hibs, who finished fourth last season, have won two, drawn two and lost six of Calderwood's 10 matches in charge and are struggling towards the bottom end of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.
With Hibs preparing for Saturday's Edinburgh derby at in-form Hearts, Calderwood, who succeeded John Hughes as boss at Easter Road in October, hopes the new year will mark a new start.
Calderwood said: "I'm not particularly happy with myself - that's the main thing.
"It's not good enough and it's a results-based business. We've got to produce better results, added to decent performances.
"I'm not happy with the end product. The end product isn't good enough and I feel I should've done better with the group of players that I've got because they're giving me everything. I've got to produce better."
Source: PA

rubber mal
30-12-2010, 05:59 PM
:agree:

snooky
30-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Fed up listening to Mr McGoo blaming everyone but himself for the demise of Aberdeen - how refreshing to have a Manager who recognises that the buck stops with him. I have great faith that the partnership of Calderwood and Adams will turn things around after the January window.

Calderwood quote;

Hibs, who finished fourth last season, have won two, drawn two and lost six of Calderwood's 10 matches in charge and are struggling towards the bottom end of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.
With Hibs preparing for Saturday's Edinburgh derby at in-form Hearts, Calderwood, who succeeded John Hughes as boss at Easter Road in October, hopes the new year will mark a new start.
Calderwood said: "I'm not particularly happy with myself - that's the main thing.
"It's not good enough and it's a results-based business. We've got to produce better results, added to decent performances.
"I'm not happy with the end product. The end product isn't good enough and I feel I should've done better with the group of players that I've got because they're giving me everything. I've got to produce better."

10cc? :dunno: :wink:

matty_f
30-12-2010, 08:56 PM
I was going to start a thread on this earlier but didn't quite work or how I wanted to word it. I think it's a good statement, takes responsibility and deflects criticism from the players, whilst also acknowledging that thee needs to be an improvement.

I like calderwood, I think it would have been easy for him to blame the squad he's inherited but he hasn't done that.

3pm
30-12-2010, 08:59 PM
I was going to start a thread on this earlier but didn't quite work or how I wanted to word it. I think it's a good statement, takes responsibility and deflects criticism from the players, whilst also acknowledging that thee needs to be an improvement.

I like calderwood, I think it would have been easy for him to blame the squad he's inherited but he hasn't done that.

All good if there is an upturn in fortunes Matty.

KeithTheHibby
30-12-2010, 09:13 PM

Calderwood quote;

Refreshing yes I have to agree compared to the last 2 managers who continually trotted out the same dross.

However I do think he is being harsh on himself by stating that the players are giving him everything, going by the performances on the park I am not entirely convinced of that.

PapillonVert
30-12-2010, 09:19 PM
In other words, "the players are crap but it's my fault (actually, no, not really but that's what I have to say for appearance's sake ) ".

sesoim
30-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, would Craig Brown or Jimmy Calderwood only have won 2 out of 10 games if they had gotten the job? NO.

Colin Calderwood SHOULD take responsibility. It's not his fault Petrie was stupid and stubborn enough to appoint him, but there are at least 8 or 9 realistic options in the SPL or recently out of a job who could have done better than Colin Calderwood has done so far.

I'll judge him once he's had a chance to wheel and deal a bit, but good managers don't take long to make an impact unless the club is in a huge financial mess. Even Mixu has (so far) made a great impact in a very short time at a club who have much less money than us. So fans are entitled to expect a LOT more from Calderwood very soon.

Bad Martini
30-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Well, would Craig Brown or Jimmy Calderwood only have won 2 out of 10 games if they had gotten the job? NO.

Colin Calderwood SHOULD take responsibility. It's not his fault Petrie was stupid and stubborn enough to appoint him, but there are at least 8 or 9 realistic options in the SPL or recently out of a job who could have done better than Colin Calderwood has done so far.

I'll judge him once he's had a chance to wheel and deal a bit, but good managers don't take long to make an impact unless the club is in a huge financial mess. Even Mixu has (so far) made a great impact in a very short time at a club who have much less money than us. So fans are entitled to expect a LOT more from Calderwood very soon.

The mans had the balls to stand up and take the blame for what, IMHO, is a team of the least commited players to adorn the green n white for many years with VERY few exceptions.

Having looked at his face, his body language and having read a lot about the man, I suspect he's bitten his tongue as much as he can.

He DIDNT come out in the press and slate players (who he knows he needed/needs til January at least and May possibly). He didn't blame the fans, the weather, the players, the pitch and everything else.

He might have made some mistakes but I think we ALL know some of the lazy/incompetent "players" stealing wages right now from HFC are more to blame than CC will ever be.....IMHO.

ENDOF

Westie1875
30-12-2010, 11:48 PM

Mixu had a chance to bring in some of his own players, Calderwood hasn't had this opportunity yet.

IWasThere2016
30-12-2010, 11:58 PM

Goals win games, and our striking options are such that I doubt your views on Broon or Calderwood personally.

Also Mixu has got in Eremenko an excellent international player/play-maker earning a fortune .. When did CC get the chance to do this exactly?

Shrekko
31-12-2010, 12:15 AM

How on earth can you say what another manager would have done? Can you tell us what they'd have done differently for instance?

Absolutely ludicrous for folk to be questioning CC's overall ability at this stage. His options have been almost non-existent since he took over.

The guy is an absolute straight talker who has made no excuses whatsoever since he took over. Least he deserves is a couple of transfer windows before everybody starts sharpening their knives.

Liberal Hibby
31-12-2010, 12:26 AM
How on earth can you say what another manager would have done? Can you tell us what they'd have done differently for instance?

Absolutely ludicrous for folk to be questioning CC's overall ability at this stage. His options have been almost non-existent since he took over.

The guy is an absolute straight talker who has made no excuses whatsoever since he took over. Least he deserves is a couple of transfer windows before everybody starts sharpening their knives.

Quite! I hope that Calderwood as a straight talking defender will firstly sort out the defence. We don't need to score a lot of goals, as we did last season, if we stop conceding them.

If we get some cash for Riordan assuming he has decided to go for a bigger money deal and can get his head around life outside of Reekie, then I'd want it spent on shoring up the defence and if there's some cash left over on a steely midfielder to stop the other team playing and starting ours to play (is that the infamous Matty Jack role?)

sunshine1875
31-12-2010, 09:27 AM
I also like this CC quote after the Dons game:

"We've always said we would be respectful of the boys that are here and give them the best opportunity of getting results."

A polite way of saying I've given the players a chance to prove to me that they are good enough and they have made an :asshole: of it!

down-the-slope
31-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Hibernian boss Colin Calderwood felt his players' determination helped them secure a point in the 2-2 draw with Dundee United at Easter Road. "It's about our attitude. We were at the bottom of a set of steps where we didn't want to be," said Calderwood.
"It's not the nicest situation to be in as a team, but we got a goal before half-time which gave us a lift.
"We have a togetherness, but we're making it difficult with errors that are rotating around the team."
Paul Hanlon's late equaliser for Hibs secured a point after the visitors had Danny Swanson sent off.
United were ahead after only two minutes when David Goodwillie broke clear to score and then tapped in his second after 35 minutes, but Hibs' Sol Bamba equalised from close range just before the break.

The draw lifted the Easter Road side six points clear of bottom-club Hamilton in ninth spot, but Calderwood recognises that his team's lack of focus is their own undoing and they need to start claiming wins.
"We caused our own problems again very early in the game," said Calderwood.
"There's lots of positives out of two defeats and a draw that I can see, but they're inconsequential and don't matter until we start to take three points.
"No-one said it was going to be easy, but anyone can see why we're conceding goals."

Blunt but not critical which is hard to acheive. Also making it clear he knows the issues that need addressing.....expect a CH to come in in Jan and unless Welsh is going to hit the ground running a holding midfielder with pace and grit

Phil D. Rolls
31-12-2010, 10:21 AM

You've already judged him.

Verdict: You don't like him.

Arch Stanton
31-12-2010, 10:49 AM

You may well feel justified in holding that as a personal opinion but your certainty isn't justified in my view - any manager coming in would have had to go through a fair number of permutations to get that squad of misfits working as a cohesive unit.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-12-2010, 11:26 AM
i'm sure that CC wanted to do better and i suppose that shielding the players may spark a collective response from them. However i'm cynical enough to smell a rat when i see our team run rings around the champions in a high profile game, but then refuse to do the basics in the less flashy fixtures. If CC can't get them on side, he needs to be given funds to get players committed to play on his terms.

grunt
31-12-2010, 11:26 AM
... but there are at least 8 or 9 realistic options in the SPL or recently out of a job who could have done better than Colin Calderwood has done so far.I always wonder if one of the problems of Scottish football and the SPL in particular is the lack of new blood coming into the manager jobs. It seems to me that as soon as one SPL manager leaves (or is "left") then the talk is all about which other SPL manager is going to take the job, and they all shuffle around to other SPL clubs. We need new insight into this game, and we will only get that by recruiting outwith the SPL. I'm sure it would have been the simple option to hire Jimmy Calderwood or Auld Man Broon. I think Petrie has done the right thing in appointing from elsewhere, and I hope CC gets time to make a positive impact.