PDA

View Full Version : Calderwood Aims to Keep Riordan

seanraff07
30-12-2010, 01:39 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9328411.stm

Apparently contract talks are in progress.:thumbsup:

3pm
30-12-2010, 01:44 PM
If we are going to get better, it'd be easier with him in Green and White. However, if he wants radge money then it'll not happen unfortunately.

smurf
30-12-2010, 01:45 PM
If we are going to get better, it'd be easier with him in Green and White. However, if he wants radge money then it'll not happen unfortunately.

But then i'd rather we got rid of one or two to pay him the extra....

moggie
30-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Surely Macarthur couldve come up with a better bargaining tool than a turkish side, Derek struggled living in Glasgow never mind Turkey.

--------
30-12-2010, 01:51 PM

:agree: We have a lot of dead wood right now. Frankly, a Night of the Long Knives wouldn't be a bad idea, IMO - leaving a tighter, better-quality squad, backed by the best and most promising of the youngsters.

And we DON'T want to lose Deek if at all possible. :rolleyes:

seanraff07
30-12-2010, 01:52 PM

:agree:.. Liam Miller should be one of them IMO.

Keith_M
30-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Surely Macarthur couldve come up with a better bargaining tool than a turkish side, Derek struggled living in Glasgow never mind Turkey.

TBF, he's used to playing alongside a load of Turkeys so....

:duck:

Brads Laing
30-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Was speaking to one of the board last night and he said calderwood was working hard to trim the squad as he believes it is too big. So that idea of shipping a couple of players out to sign riordan on could be possible.

Cabbage East
30-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Failure to keep Deek could be the final straw for a lot of Hibbys.

moggie
30-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Failure to keep Deek could be the final straw for a lot of Hibbys.

As opposed to the last time he left us for Celtic. :rolleyes:

Jim44
30-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Unless Riordan makes demands for money way out of our budget, it would be ridiculous to lose him for financial reasons. How about a four year deal at a mutually agreed annual wage (to be reviewed each year) plus an incentive bonus for more than 20 goals a season.

GreenPJ
30-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Unless Riordan makes demands for money way out of our budget, it would be ridiculous to lose him for financial reasons. How about a four year deal at a mutually agreed annual wage (to be reviewed each year) plus an incentive bonus for more than 20 goals a season.

What other reasons would we lose him for? And it can't be ridiculous to lose him for financial reasons if he makes demands that the club are unable to meet.

blackpoolhibs
30-12-2010, 03:50 PM

What would that be?:confused:

J-C
30-12-2010, 03:54 PM
If they can shift a lot of the dead wood, then Deek can get his wee pay rise to keep him at the club he loves, we're not talking mage bucks here, just an extra £500-1,000.
:greengrin

Also very good to see Calderwood giving himself a roasting for not coming up to his own standards of management, good to see he's critical of his own performances.

aberhibsfc
30-12-2010, 03:55 PM

:top marks

I hope the talks are more successful than Fletcher / Jones.

erin-go-bragh87
30-12-2010, 03:56 PM
As opposed to the last time he left us for Celtic. :rolleyes:

This time, the whole situation is different. If we lost him now added to the poor state we are in on the pitch it would be slot harder to take for most of us.

Cropley10
30-12-2010, 04:43 PM
:agree:.. Liam Miller should be one of them IMO.

Careful what you wish for Sean...

I'm sure Adams and Calderwood will both recognise LM's ability on the ball.

I thought last night it was obvious when he came on, suddenly we had someone who could actually use the ball, he was looking for Duffy all the time.

Miller will be an excellent player with better players around him. That's either going to be at Hibs, once we start shifting out Nish, Rankin, Hogg, Grounds (and so on). Or it will at Hearts where they have plenty of better players.

Like I say be careful what you wish for...

matty_f
31-12-2010, 12:34 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Colin-Calderwood-prepared-to-lose.6675760.jp

Looks like CC wants to offer Riordan a good enough wage, but needs to wait til others are shifted to give him the scope to do it, by the look of this article.

Hopefully seeing one or two peripheral players being moved on means we get to keep Deek at the club.:agree:

CapitalHibs
31-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Oh-oh:boo hoo:

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Colin-Calderwood-prepared-to-lose.6675760.jp

RickyS
31-12-2010, 01:30 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Colin-Calderwood-prepared-to-lose.6675760.jp

Looks like CC wants to offer Riordan a good enough wage, but needs to wait til others are shifted to give him the scope to do it, by the look of this article.

Hopefully seeing one or two peripheral players being moved on means we get to keep Deek at the club.:agree:

do we assume then that he wants more than he is on?

matty_f
31-12-2010, 01:44 AM
do we assume then that he wants more than he is on?

Not necessarily, but we are potentially going to take a big drop in income this season because of the poor league position we find ourselves in - if we don't make top 6 then there is less money available for wages.

IWasThere2016
31-12-2010, 02:08 AM
Not necessarily, but we are potentially going to take a big drop in income this season because of the poor league position we find ourselves in - if we don't make top 6 then there is less money available for wages.

His wage will be at its lowest in nearly 5 years - as the Cellic element has gone. I think naturally he will want more than he is on at present.

Ernie Cobra
31-12-2010, 02:41 AM
My readomng of this article is that, he will be offered a deal"later" when we have freed up some nccessary monies to enable this to happen. As previously stated, poor attendances poor season ticket sales dont make for hefty pay rises or mega bucks being lashed out in the transfer window. My reckoning is Deek will sign a new deal 3 years more than likely :agree:

hibiedude
31-12-2010, 06:38 AM
I just hope R01rdan sees it that way or he'll be off

Not players likes to be out of contract and unsure about his future

matty_f
31-12-2010, 06:44 AM
I just hope R01rdan sees it that way or he'll be off

Not players likes to be out of contract and unsure about his future

He knows we'll offer him a contract, and if he gets offered one elsewhere we'll se if we can keep him against what the other clubs offer.

The article says that Riordan is relaxed about it, and so is Calderwood. Riordan signed a contract with us until May, so he's not going anywhere at the moment without our say-so.

There's every chance that if we put an offer on the table now it wouldn't get signed until Riordan's agent and Riordan had seen what other offers were coming in anyway, so it doesn't make much of a difference.

The important thing is that everyone is honest with each other, and so long as Riordan is kept informed of the situation and he's happy with it, then there shouldn't be an issue.

Stuart Bathgate is being a bit mischievous with his headline writing IMHO.

hibiedude
31-12-2010, 07:26 AM
He knows we'll offer him a contract, and if he gets offered one elsewhere we'll se if we can keep him against what the other clubs offer.

The article says that Riordan is relaxed about it, and so is Calderwood. Riordan signed a contract with us until May, so he's not going anywhere at the moment without our say-so.

There's every chance that if we put an offer on the table now it wouldn't get signed until Riordan's agent and Riordan had seen what other offers were coming in anyway, so it doesn't make much of a difference.

The important thing is that everyone is honest with each other, and so long as Riordan is kept informed of the situation and he's happy with it, then there shouldn't be an issue.

Stuart Bathgate is being a bit mischievous with his headline writing IMHO.

I hope your right matty because losing R01rdan again would be a massive mistake in my opinion.

I know Derek is the marmite of the hibs fans- you eighter love or hate him seems to be peoples take on this site.

End of the day he's a goal scorer and a dam good one at that.

Jim44
31-12-2010, 07:45 AM
I really hope the optimistic reactions here are on the mark. The negative conclusion could be that Petrie is going to keep Riordan hanging on till the last minute in the hope he can get him on the cheap or pick up a few quid for him. I reckon either way that this is a Petrie/financial strategy and not a footballing one and the pessimist in me thinks that Riordan will sign a pre-contract with an unsuccessful attempt from Petrie to counter it. It's unsettling to hear Calderwood going from 'being keen to keep Riordan' to more or less 'we'll play it by ear and see what happens'.

matty_f
31-12-2010, 07:55 AM
I hope your right matty because losing R01rdan again would be a massive mistake in my opinion.

I know Derek is the marmite of the hibs fans- you eighter love or hate him seems to be peoples take on this site.

End of the day he's a goal scorer and a dam good one at that.

I don't think many, if any, Hibs fans hate Riordan!

I hope we don't lose him, but I'm confident we'll offer him the best we can afford and if it turns out that he gets better elsewhere and he wants to take it, then he'll go. Whether we put a contract on the table now or later won't change that.

I really hope the optimistic reactions here are on the mark. The negative conclusion could be that Petrie is going to keep Riordan hanging on till the last minute in the hope he can get him on the cheap or pick up a few quid for him. I reckon either way that this is a Petrie/financial strategy and not a footballing one and the pessimist in me thinks that Riordan will sign a pre-contract with an unsuccessful attempt from Petrie to counter it. It's unsettling to hear Calderwood going from 'being keen to keep Riordan' to more or less 'we'll play it by ear and see what happens'.

It will be a football decision made with a financial conscience Jim. We probably aren't in a position to give Riordan what he feels he's worth at the moment, but we could/should be in a position to do so a bit further down the line.

Football clubs can't give players contracts without first considering whether they can afford it. As much as we can shout about lack of ambition, or get frustrated by it, the fact is we don't have a bottomless source of money and can't afford to go gung-ho with contracts.

Septimus
31-12-2010, 08:32 AM
The Scotsman article surely implies that Roirdan has made his requirements for the next contract known and the club are now waiting to see if anybody else is prepared to meet them. Presumably they feel he has asked for too much.

Green_one
31-12-2010, 08:38 AM
The Scotsman article surely implies that Roirdan has made his requirements for the next contract known and the club are now waiting to see if anybody else is prepared to meet them. Presumably they feel he has asked for too much.

:agree: Plus waiting to see who they can move on and who they might get in. I suspect Riordan is asking for a longer contract than Hibs are willing to commit too.

RP will be looking to reduce wages next year. We are overspending, have few players worth selling and have falling gates. We are still in a better position than most.

PaulSmith
31-12-2010, 08:46 AM
:agree: Plus waiting to see who they can move on and who they might get in. I suspect Riordan is asking for a longer contract than Hibs are willing to commit too.

RP will be looking to reduce wages next year. We are overspending, have few players worth selling and have falling gates. We are still in a better position than most.

Here's an idea, combine the role of the CEO and Chairman and free up £100k straight away