PDA

View Full Version : "I have to hope the fans will become supporters because we need support."

Mikey
30-12-2010, 09:34 AM
So says Roy Hodgson...........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9326948.stm

I guess that goes for any team.

Toaods
30-12-2010, 10:57 AM
...so he is out of touch with the fans.... be surprised if he lasts the season.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-12-2010, 11:22 AM
apparently the pool fans were chanting for kenny dalglish. Doesn't appear to be good news for RH but not sure how he can be blamed for players devoid of passion and drive. Surely at a club like LFC that should not all come from the manager.

Craig_in_Prague
30-12-2010, 11:25 AM
I was gutted i didn't have a punt on Wolves.......I'd had a look at them, ranging from 9-1 to 12's :boo hoo:

smurf
30-12-2010, 12:08 PM
RH has lost the plot.... he also says something along the lines of "...since I arrived here that famous Liverpool support has been missing...".

Not sure my hero Kenny Dalglish is the answer because like Hibs Liverpool are a club that is the product of a lack of investment on the park.

hibiedude
30-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Roy Hodgson will be sacked before the transfer window closes

he's one defeat away from the sack

Toaods
31-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Looks like the chairman's phones been 'reds' hot. The guy is finished at Annfield

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/mobile/football/teams/l/liverpool/9330251.stm.

Captain Trips
31-12-2010, 03:16 PM
I am sure once the manager manages and the players play that will happen. RH like all looking for any get out, Liverpool are also a shambles due to Boards, Managers and players.

blackpoolhibs
31-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Hows that bet, Liverpool to win the next 9 games getting on?:wink:

blackpoolhibs
31-12-2010, 03:29 PM
You couldn't make it up!! Can't believe what I'm seeing!

I dont understand why, unless you were not watching the previous games?:confused:

Sir David Gray
31-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Hows that bet, Liverpool to win the next 9 games getting on?:wink:

I make that two defeats from two games since this bet was proposed.

:faf:

Pretty Boy
31-12-2010, 03:37 PM
To be fair to Roy hes hardly had lot to work with.

The previous manager blew millions on absolute duds. The permanently crocked Aquilani, Voronin, Keane, Cavallieri, Itjande, Dossena, Babel etc etc etc

Add to that the managerial masterstroke of engineering the sale of the most talented midfielder at the club, Xabi Alonso, and then trying to blame the board it's little wonder the new manager is finding it hard going.

He's also had to deal with a support desperate for any scrap of success, a boardroom war, the shadow of Kenny Dalglish hanging over everything he does and a non existent transfer budget. You don't become a bad manger overnight, i'm sure Roy isn't happy with how things have gone but he's not a miracle worker.

blackpoolhibs
31-12-2010, 03:42 PM
I just didn't think that with the squad available that the inexplicable results would continue.. Fourth is improbable but not unlikely:greengrin

I must have been watching a different Liverpool to the one you were, prior to the bet. They are imo a one man team, (Gerrard) helped with a couple of players (Carragher and Torres) And Gerard is not the player he was, and gets injured it seems more and more these days.

Torres is always injured too, and doesn't seem that interested either. And Carragher's best days are well behind him too, and he's also injured. The rest are average players, none good enough for the teams in the top 6, like Hibs major surgery is needed.

8th place at best, but could be a lot worse if something is not done in January.

3pm
31-12-2010, 03:45 PM
I must have been watching a different Liverpool to the one you were, prior to the bet. They are imo a one man team, (Gerrard) helped with a couple of players (Carragher and Torres) And Gerard is not the player he was, and gets injured it seems more and more these days.

Torres is always injured too, and doesn't seem that interested either. And Carragher's best days are well behind him too, and he's also injured. The rest are average players, none good enough for the teams in the top 6, like Hibs major surgery is needed.

8th place at best, but could be a lot worse if something is not done in January.

Gerrard will be down the leagues soon. Probably to Doncaster or Tranmere. Sound familiar?! :o)

hibiedude
31-12-2010, 03:46 PM
We give CC time to get his own players in - If Liverpool don't wait,who's right? And who's more likely to win something in the next two years ?

Liverpool expectations are always to be challenging for the top honours in all tournaments because to attract the best players in the world you have to spend the going rate regarding wages and that runs into many millions a year.

Our situation is miles away from Liverpool’s because our aim each year is not to get relegated and have a decent run in the cup.

IWasThere2016
31-12-2010, 04:32 PM

I see he has apologised (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9330251.stm) for his comments .. Hodgson may be a dead man walking but has the grace to apologise - Yogi should have done the same for his not dissimilar comments IMHO.

Captain Trips
31-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Liverpool expectations are always to be challenging for the top honours in all tournaments because to attract the best players in the world you have to spend the going rate regarding wages and that runs into many millions a year.

Our situation is miles away from Liverpool’s because our aim each year is not to get relegated and have a decent run in the cup.

Is it? I thought it was to finish 3rd/4th and not for 1 second thinking of relegation, if what you say is case, pointless building stands and training centers.

Well maybe it's just me but I will look for 4th/3rd anything less is failure, and as of this season we are failing.

Bad Martini
31-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Dalglish should have been offered the job when Hodgson was offered the job.

He's got more footballing brains and accumen in his little toe on a bad day than RH will ever hope to accumulate over a lifetime and, Dalglish lives and breathes Liverpool.

Gie the joab to the King and stop ****ing aboot with Uncle Woy. Yes, he's not the worst manager in England and given time, he'll do "something" but it will not be spectacular, very interesting or much at all, I'd wager.

Dalglish for the job. Walk on.

YNWA

Danderhall Hibs
31-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Is it? I thought it was to finish 3rd/4th and not for 1 second thinking of relegation, if what you say is case, pointless building stands and training centers.

Well maybe it's just me but I will look for 4th/3rd anything less is failure, and as of this season we are failing.

4th was seen as a failure last season.

Haymaker
31-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Dalglish should have been offered the job when Hodgson was offered the job.

He's got more footballing brains and accumen in his little toe on a bad day than RH will ever hope to accumulate over a lifetime and, Dalglish lives and breathes Liverpool.

Gie the joab to the King and stop ****ing aboot with Uncle Woy. Yes, he's not the worst manager in England and given time, he'll do "something" but it will not be spectacular, very interesting or much at all, I'd wager.

Dalglish for the job. Walk on.

YNWA

What has Dalglish done in football management since 1990? He managed Blackburn to the league backed by a fortune which would later break Blackburn Rovers FC. The game has moved on and he wont save Liverpool. He would be stupid to step back in to management, especially at Liverpool.

Just because he "lives and breathes" Liverpool doesnt mean he will bring success. Keegan and Shearer didnt at Newcastle and all the fans loved them didnt they?

Liverpool is a shambles of a club at the moment and it needs someone who can balance a side. Given time, RH will clear the deadwood and build a solid foundation from which to get the club back to success.

Captain Trips
31-12-2010, 06:46 PM

Indeed it appears it was but thats my point, avoid relegation should never be an objective it shouldnt even be discussed.

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Blackburn 2 Liverpool 0, latest score. Might have been better seeing what odds you could get on them not winning any of the next 9 games? :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-01-2011, 08:56 PM

4th was seen as a failure cos we were well clear in 3rd then had to beat a weakened Utd team on the last day of the season to get into Europe.

brydekirk
05-01-2011, 09:04 PM

If our FANS supported us, we would have to build a bigger stadium.:agree:

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2011, 09:20 PM
It's so shocking I can't rationalise it other than there's a dressing room/manager problem. 0-0 took the dogs out. Came back at the start of the 2nd half of the arsenal game and see 2-0 :dunno::brickwall

Let me help you, yer players are crap.:wink:

matty_f
05-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Indeed it appears it was but thats my point, avoid relegation should never be an objective it shouldnt even be discussed.

Michael Hart (IIRC) was given pelters on here when he said the players hadn't discussed relegation.:agree:

HibbyAndy
05-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Michael Hart (IIRC) was given pelters on here when he said the players hadn't discussed relegation.:agree:

bout time they did discuss it then.

Sir David Gray
05-01-2011, 11:55 PM

I think, and he can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that Carlsberg was referring to the fact that at the start of each season, if someone at Hibs is asked what their expectations are for the season ahead, no-one connected with the club should answer "we're just looking to avoid relegation".

I think the reason why Michael Hart was criticised was maybe more to do with him seemingly failing to acknowledge the severity of the situation that we actually find ourselves in at the moment.

Whether Hibs should or shouldn't be involved in a relegation battle is irrelevant at the moment. The fact is that we ARE in a relegation battle this season and some of our players seem to be completely oblivious to the whole situation.

Hearing some acceptance of the situation that we are currently in and what the players intend to do to rectify things over the rest of the season, would be quite nice to hear.

matty_f
06-01-2011, 12:32 AM
I think, and he can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that Carlsberg was referring to the fact that at the start of each season, if someone at Hibs is asked what their expectations are for the season ahead, no-one connected with the club should answer "we're just looking to avoid relegation".

I think the reason why Michael Hart was criticised was maybe more to do with him seemingly failing to acknowledge the severity of the situation that we actually find ourselves in at the moment.

Whether Hibs should or shouldn't be involved in a relegation battle is irrelevant at the moment. The fact is that we ARE in a relegation battle this season and some of our players seem to be completely oblivious to the whole situation.

Hearing some acceptance of the situation that we are currently in and what the players intend to do to rectify things over the rest of the season, would be quite nice to hear.

I know, I was just being contrary!:greengrin

Captain Trips
06-01-2011, 07:31 AM
Falkirk you are right, Matty you contrary bsssa.

Dashing Bob S
06-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Liverpool = England's Aberdeen

7Hero
06-01-2011, 09:19 AM

id like to look for that too, its the least the club should be aiming for, the prob seems to be the board's ambitions are merely financial which obviously contradicts the buy good players and keep your good ones philosophy...

Andy74
06-01-2011, 10:39 AM
4th was seen as a failure cos we were well clear in 3rd then had to beat a weakened Utd team on the last day of the season to get into Europe.

So by the same token if we emerge out of this season in say 8th place that would have to be seen as success due to where we have been?

Not to me. Over a season 4th was success and anything less than 5th this year would be failure.

RickyS
06-01-2011, 11:37 AM
So by the same token if we emerge out of this season in say 8th place that would have to be seen as success due to where we have been?

Not to me. Over a season 4th was success and anything less than 5th this year would be failure.

have to say i agree with you, but i would be tempted to take 8th if it was offered to me now

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2011, 12:18 PM
He'll have to go.There's no point in prolonging the agony.He's an intelligent coach but zero charisma and results are king.
And the results aren't commensurate with the players available.
Another few games without a win and our boy would be on his way too :agree:

Thats where we will disagree again. I think your team player for player are no better than a fair chunk of the teams from 7th 8th down.

Cropley10
06-01-2011, 12:18 PM

Sorry, are you saying if Calderwood doesn't win in the next 'few games' he'll be 'on his way' ie sacked??:confused:

Golden Bear
06-01-2011, 12:24 PM
He'll have to go.There's no point in prolonging the agony.He's an intelligent coach but zero charisma and results are king.
And the results aren't commensurate with the players available.

As per usual - :stirrer:

Time to hit the ignore button.

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2011, 01:00 PM
The goalie is considered one of the best in the world.The back four are all internationals. Midfield of pretty highly thought of international midfielders(choose between English,Dutch,Argentinian,Brasilian,Portuguese) and a striker who is also considered one of the best in the world.
It's the back four I see as the problem. Still think that team should be doing a lot better.
Mind you everyone apart from ManU seem to be dropping points too.

Blackpool have Internationalist too. Ghana's No1. :greengrin Every club in that league have a team of internationals, some just starting out, others near the end of their careers. Liverpool imo are an average side, with very few top players for that division.

Pretty Boy
06-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Blackpool have Internationalist too. Ghana's No1. :greengrin Every club in that league have a team of internationals, some just starting out, others near the end of their careers. Liverpool imo are an average side, with very few top players for that division.

:agree:

Take someone like Dirk Kuyt for example. Internationalist, played in a team that reached the World Cup final but there is no way that Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal or Tottenham would even consider making an offer for him. The same could be said for about 95% of that Liverpool squad. Only Reina, Gerrard and Torres would seriosuly interest any other big club in that league and even Gerrard looks well past his best.

As for that Blackpool keeper, how bad must the rest of Ghanas keepers be if he is number 1?

Bad Martini
06-01-2011, 01:17 PM

Lets weigh up.

They have Reina in goals who is widely accepted as one of the best keepers in the world and notwithstanding a few (out of character) howlers over the last 12 months or so, has consistently proven that at Liverpool...saving pens, top drawer saves and the "normal" bread and butter saves. Consistently. Doesn't appear to be poor backbone.

They've got England internationalists peppered through the team from Carragher, Johnson and Cole to Gerrard...Dutch internationalists Kuyt and Babel, Spanish forward in Torres and plenty others I don't need to mention. Brazilians, Argentinians etc....no shortage of quality.

Then they have Roy Hodgson in charge. He's not the problem as such, IMHO, the problem was Benitez, selling Alonso amoungst other stupid moves and bringing in other players not up to the job....then demotivating them all. Stupid rotational systems, stupid tactics and stupid arrogance.

Roy has not been up to the job of picking up the pieces and IMHO, is failing badly. He's probably not as bad as his record would suggest but equally, he's the wrong man for the job too. LFC should have kept up the hunt and got the right manager to clean up what Rafa left behind...........

Now, Hodgson has all but alienated the Kop, pissed off some of the players, those connected with the club and helped the new years day attendance fall by over 10,000 punters....

New manager required - not "just" down to Roy Hodgson but he's not helped matters much from where I am looking.

Either way, the Reds WILL be back. This won't go on forever and when we do, a great big **** off WALK ON I say.....

YNWA. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Lets weigh up.

They have Reina in goals who is widely accepted as one of the best keepers in the world and notwithstanding a few (out of character) howlers over the last 12 months or so, has consistently proven that at Liverpool...saving pens, top drawer saves and the "normal" bread and butter saves. Consistently. Doesn't appear to be poor backbone.

They've got England internationalists peppered through the team from Carragher, Johnson and Cole to Gerrard...Dutch internationalists Kuyt and Babel, Spanish forward in Torres and plenty others I don't need to mention. Brazilians, Argentinians etc....no shortage of quality.

Then they have Roy Hodgson in charge. He's not the problem as such, IMHO, the problem was Benitez, selling Alonso amoungst other stupid moves and bringing in other players not up to the job....then demotivating them all. Stupid rotational systems, stupid tactics and stupid arrogance.

Roy has not been up to the job of picking up the pieces and IMHO, is failing badly. He's probably not as bad as his record would suggest but equally, he's the wrong man for the job too. LFC should have kept up the hunt and got the right manager to clean up what Rafa left behind...........

Now, Hodgson has all but alienated the Kop, pissed off some of the players, those connected with the club and helped the new years day attendance fall by over 10,000 punters....

New manager required - not "just" down to Roy Hodgson but he's not helped matters much from where I am looking.

Either way, the Reds WILL be back. This won't go on forever and when we do, a great big **** off WALK ON I say.....

YNWA. :agree:

I weigh them up a lot differently to you. :greengrin As pretty boy says, take the keeper Torres and Gerrard out, the rest are very average imo. Players no matter what country they come from, are not better than many clubs outwith the top 6 have. Hodgson was the wrong man imo, although who is the right man to rescue a club that cant compete financially with Man City Man U Tottenham Arsenal and Chelsea. Although who can these days?