PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson - Merged

sunshine1875
29-12-2010, 10:11 PM
On that showing tonight, he is 100% better than Miller. I thought he played well especially considering that he has not had much opportunity lately.

He looked much more comfortable playing more towards the middle of midfield than being played on the left side of midfield/defence.

Not saying he is the solution to all our problems, but I thought he showed desire to play for Hibs with more skill than Miller.

Thoughts?

Iggy Pope
29-12-2010, 10:13 PM
On that showing tonight, he is 100% better than Miller. I thought he played well especially considering that he has not had much opportunity lately.

He looked much more comfortable playing more towards the middle of midfield than being played on the left side of midfield/defence.

Not saying he is the solution to all our problems, but I thought he showed desire to play for Hibs with more skill than Miller.

Thoughts?

Not sure about alll of that - could he be more skillful than Liam Miller? I don't think so.
But for effort strength and productivity certainly better than Miller has been of late.
And miles ahead of Rankin I'm afraid.

hibee92
29-12-2010, 10:15 PM
my MOTM tonight :agree: definately shown potential but lets not get carried away

hibee_girl
29-12-2010, 10:16 PM
He was my MOM tonight :agree:

He was controlling the midfield at times, his passing was excellent and he was really pushing us forward especially in the first half

woody47
29-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Lewis did more in the 70 or so minutes he was on the park tonight than Miller has done this year. Well done wee man.

Billy Whizz
29-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Though he did q lot of running and played a few good balls to Galbraith. 100% better than Rankin. Different player to Miller though

Iggy Pope
29-12-2010, 10:19 PM
my MOTM tonight :agree: definately shown potential but lets not get carried away

Agreed - MOM. Not sure about potential though. I think Lewis might be our longest serving player? Could get shot down here but he made his debut in the Cork friendly and I can't think of any others from that side still here (unbroken service of course).
Time for the wee man to fill his boots and Saturday would be a good start - he's did it there before.

Matty_Jack04
29-12-2010, 10:20 PM

I have always thought that lewis has been unlucky not to have been in the first team squad, never any doubt regarding commitment not the most talented player ever but gets stuck in and puts in a solid shift, which has been lacking severly.
A wee man marking role on templeton for sat??

TornadoHibby
29-12-2010, 10:22 PM

Thoughts?

I made him MOTM tonight and he only went off because he was 100% knackered as he had given every ounce of fight and energy he had by then!

Well done Lewis, a good player doesn't lose what makes him good no matter what some of the keyboard "experts" might say!

:thumbsup:

Shrekko
29-12-2010, 10:22 PM
I thought he did quite well tonight but as usual with Lewis folk are getting carried away. Past history shows that he finds it difficult to keep it up for any more than a game or 2.

If he can do that game in game out he'd be useful to have around but I would not be offering him a new contract based on the previous 4 years. He does of course have a few months to turn it around but he'll really need to do what he did tonight and more for a sustained period.

I'd also agree though that Stevensons performance tonight was much better than Miller has produced recently which should have LM hanging his head in shame- doubt it though!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
29-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Very good performance tonight and deserves a run in the team.

hibsbollah
29-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Very good performance tonight and deserves a run in the team.

Managers like players who play for them. That will be CC's first glimpse of Lewis as a starter and I think he'll get a run in the team now:agree:

KWJ
29-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Managers like players who play for them. That will be CC's first glimpse of Lewis as a starter and I think he'll get a run in the team now:agree:

He started him against Hearts and I made a similar thread afterwards. He was then dropped against Rangers which surprised me.

sleeping giant
29-12-2010, 10:30 PM

I agree:agree:

Pleased for the boy. Needs to keep it going though

California-Hibs
29-12-2010, 10:30 PM

Thoughts?

Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettle down!

hibsbollah
29-12-2010, 10:33 PM
He started him against Hearts and I made a similar thread afterwards. He was then dropped against Rangers which surprised me.

I realised that just after I posted it:greengrin
Still, i think CC will be pleased with what hes seen from Lewis.

Shrekko
29-12-2010, 10:43 PM

He started CC's first few games.

Stantons Angel
29-12-2010, 10:45 PM
I was delighted to see Lewis in tonight's team and i am in agreement with most of the posters when i say he too was my man of the match.
No one is getting carried away saying he is our saviour, we are only giving praise where it is due. How many posts have we had on this forum this season that are in praise of a Hib's player?

Give him his 70 mins of praise as he deserved it, he is not a Miller type of player but he will give all he has got to the jersey every time. He needs support from the fans and these comments can only do him good. If he plays on Saturday then i hope he gives a good account of himself, he cant be as bad as half of them in the team right now.

Well done Lewis keep it up and enjoy the praise!!!:greengrin

Judas Iscariot
29-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Did he pass the ball forward at all tonight?

Did he beat a man?

Did he win a tackle?

I'm sure in the lead up to their 2nd goal he received a pass in the middle of the park, under no pressure at all but without taking a touch papped it right back to Dickoh then him to Brown and the 2nd goal came about..

That's right positive play eh?!

Lewis Stevenson is NEVER good enough a player for Hibs to progress, he's just like Rankin but with longer hair..

KWJ
29-12-2010, 10:58 PM
I was delighted to see Lewis in tonight's team and i am in agreement with most of the posters when i say he too was my man of the match.
No one is getting carried away saying he is our saviour, we are only giving praise where it is due. How many posts have we had on this forum this season that are in praise of a Hib's player?

Give him his 70 mins of praise as he deserved it, he is not a Miller type of player but he will give all he has got to the jersey every time. He needs support from the fans and these comments can only do him good. If he plays on Saturday then i hope he gives a good account of himself, he cant be as bad as half of them in the team right now.

He played a blinder last time we won at Tynie (maybe last time he started there too). Winding up Mikey Stewart. Deffo be in my starting 11.

Ritchie
29-12-2010, 10:59 PM

Did he beat a man?

Did he win a tackle?

I'm sure in the lead up to their 2nd goal he received a pass in the middle of the park, under no pressure at all but without taking a touch papped it right back to Dickoh then him to Brown and the 2nd goal came about..

Lewis Stevenson is NEVER good enough a player for Hibs to progress, he's just like Rankin but with longer hair..

Steven.

Judas Iscariot
29-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Steven.

Am I wrong Scott?

IWasThere2016
29-12-2010, 11:05 PM
He started CC's first few games.

Aye - he was ok at Eberdeen (CC's first game), and one of our best if not best at Tannadice (CC's second) IIRC

lEXO
29-12-2010, 11:06 PM

Did he beat a man?

Did he win a tackle?

Did you just look at the negatives? The guy played well and if you cant give him a bit credit for it that,s quite sad.

lEXO
29-12-2010, 11:07 PM

Well said, he deserves a bit credit when he plays well, christ knows he gets enough stick when he does,nt.

GreenCastle
29-12-2010, 11:12 PM
He played well tonight - least showed he cares and made some good passes and forward too :agree:

Was Stevenson not man of the match in CIS Cup Final a few years back ?

Ritchie
29-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Am I wrong Scott?

I thought he played well tonight.

Not as good as some are making out but he played better tonight than he has in a long time.

The Voice Of Reason
29-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Sorry men, but I don't understand this mass hysteria!

I thought Stevenson was average tonight, certainly didn't stick out. I don't think he is good enough and we need to move him on.

Harsh but fair.

Judas Iscariot
29-12-2010, 11:19 PM

Not as good as some are making out but he played better tonight than he has in a long time.

Right ok, did he "play well" for Lewis Stevenson standard or did he "play well" as a CM in the SPL standard?!

Any one of Hertz' cloggers will tear him up for erse paper on Saturday if he plays, he's just not good enough to be in a Hibs squad..

The Voice Of Reason
29-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Right ok, did he "play well" for Lewis Stevenson standard or did he "play well" as a CM in the SPL standard?!

Any one of Hertz' cloggers will tear him up for erse paper on Saturday if he plays, he's just not good enough to be in a Hibs squad..

You have summed it up. He is not good enough, simple as.

deek68
29-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Good effort by Stevenson tonight. Just wish he had a shot in him..

Dunbar Hibee
29-12-2010, 11:52 PM
My man of the match tonight. Thought he put a fantastic shift in and showed real spirit. Well done Lewis.

Dunbar Hibee
29-12-2010, 11:53 PM
***** just posted the same didn't see this, agree fully though he was brilliant.

Hibbyradge
30-12-2010, 12:00 AM
I missed this MOM performance and wanted him replaced after an hour.

De Graaf was better until he faded too, imo.

Hopefully both, or either, of them can put in a decent shift on Saturday because I've seen nothing from either of them to make me think we should stick by them any longer.

I stopped rating Lewis even before De Graaf joined us.

Happy to be wrong though.

Judas Iscariot
30-12-2010, 12:05 AM

Hopefully both, or either, of them can put in a decent shift on Saturday because I've seen nothing from either of them to make me think we should stick by them any longer.

:agree:

Wanted him hooked at HT for Zouma, suprised he lasted over DW..

Was Spoony injured?

The Voice Of Reason
30-12-2010, 12:09 AM

Agreed - we must have been at a different game tonight ! :wink:

Would happily join in with the Stevenson "love in" if I felt it was merited !!!!!

matty_f
30-12-2010, 12:10 AM
I thought Stevenson was good tonight. He needs to do that week in/week out though and that's the problem. I don't think (on an opinion formed over a few years of watching him) that he is a first pick, top-6 side midfielder, and for that reason, I'd move him on when his contract is up.

Don't want to put a downer on him, though - he did really well tonight and deserves the plaudits.:agree:

The Voice Of Reason
30-12-2010, 12:12 AM
I thought Stevenson was good tonight. He needs to do that week in/week out though and that's the problem. I don't think (on an opinion formed over a few years of watching him) that he is a first pick, top-6 side midfielder, and for that reason, I'd move him on when his contract is up.

Don't want to put a downer on him, though - he did really well tonight and deserves the plaudits.:agree:

I have to ask you Matty - what did he do "really well" mate ?!? :confused: Have I missed something ! (clearly I have!) :devil:

Hibbyradge
30-12-2010, 12:13 AM

Good stuff. As I said, that went past me tonight, but that happens to everyone.

I wanted Hart hooked for Miller or Rankin with Spoony going to right back.

The guys around me thought Stevenson was the likely casualty.

snooky
30-12-2010, 12:15 AM

:agree: . Blowing out his bahooky when he got subbed however, he put in a good shift. Well done, laddie. :applause:

Stantons Angel
30-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Why is it that there are so many so called supporters who are always ready to give players stick cause "they think they are rubbish". Yes we all do it but this wee guy burst a gut for the cause tonight so why shouldnt he be given the praise he deserves. As one intelligent poster said "he gets enough stick" and yes he does, so for goodness sake get a grip and give the lad a break. He DID play well, whether its up to your standards who knows. It IS a change to see someone with a bit of guts in midfield for a change!

In answer to a previous post did the poster not see how many times other players didnt pass the ball forward, or passed the ball to the opposition and also got skinned? Why pick on Lewis just because he is given a wee bit praise?

So lets try and take the positive from his performance tonight and hopefully he can build on that. He may not be the best player in our team but tonight hw played better than ive seen him do for some time.

With your support and a bit more confidence im sure he will not let us down.

Just give him a chance..................:rolleyes:

Judas Iscariot
30-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Why is it that there are so many so called supporters who are always ready to give players stick cause "they think they are rubbish". Yes we all do it but this wee guy burst a gut for the cause tonight so why shouldnt he be given the praise he deserves. As one intelligent poster said "he gets enough stick" and yes he does, so for goodness sake get a grip and give the lad a break. He DID play well, whether its up to your standards who knows. It IS a change to see someone with a bit of guts in midfield for a change!

In answer to a previous post did the poster not see how many times other players didnt pass the ball forward, or passed the ball to the opposition and also got skinned? Why pick on Lewis just because he is given a wee bit praise?

So lets try and take the positive from his performance tonight and hopefully he can build on that. He may not be the best player in our team but tonight hw played better than ive seen him do for some time.

And so he should as he gets paid a pretty penny..

He's had plenty chances, almost 4 years worth, he wouldn't get a game for any other SPL team..

1st division standard at best!

Creaming about below standard players like him is part of the reason why we're in a relegation dog fight..

If we try to champion *****, we'll just end up the champions of ***** ourselves..

Hopefully he's 1 of the 16 who's contract is up in the summer and we can finally move on and improve our squad!

matty_f
30-12-2010, 12:28 AM
I have to ask you Matty - what did he do "really well" mate ?!? :confused: Have I missed something ! (clearly I have!) :devil:

IMHO, he was industrious, put in tackles and got in about Utd's midfielders. I thought he moved the ball well and tried to make things happen.

Hibbyradge
30-12-2010, 12:28 AM

Most folk are giving him loads of credit, to be fair.

I'm genuinely glad for him although I didn't see that side of the game.

The Voice Of Reason
30-12-2010, 12:33 AM
IMHO, he was industrious, put in tackles and got in about Utd's midfielders. I thought he moved the ball well and tried to make things happen.

Fair dos, I would expect these things as the bare minimum from a midfielder in an SPL team though !

Not saying he played poorly, but he certainly never stood out for me ! :agree:

Shrekko
30-12-2010, 12:35 AM

Dont talk rubbish- if there's one player the Hibs fans have been very patient with in the past 4/5 years it's Lewis Stevenson. Every excuse in the book gets rolled out for his lack of progression.

Even tonight- he played nicely but you just knew his fan club would be on here waxing lyrical, naming him MOM and describing him as fanstastic etc.

The boy has played over 100 games for the club and performances like tonight are long over-due and dont happen often enough. I'm happy to give him credit for tonight, but he needs to do much much more in general. Why should we be lauding him for one decent performance?

The Voice Of Reason
30-12-2010, 12:40 AM

Cam down Lewis !!!!! :greengrin :devil:

Dunbar Hibee
30-12-2010, 12:57 AM

He's had plenty chances, almost 4 years worth, he wouldn't get a game for any other SPL team..

Creaming about below standard players like him is part of the reason why we're in a relegation dog fight..

If we try to champion *****, we'll just end up the champions of ***** ourselves..

Hopefully he's 1 of the 16 who's contract is up in the summer and we can finally move on and improve our squad!

redonkulous

AllyF
30-12-2010, 01:35 AM
My favourite Hibs player. Has been for the last three years.

I'm not sure what it is, but there's just something I like about Lewy. He always puts in 100% for a start.

MOTM for me tonight as well.

Stantons Angel
30-12-2010, 01:54 AM
i take on board all of what has been said tonight about lewis and his performance.

Yes it is what he is paid to do and yes we are in a dog fight and yes he has had 4years to show what he can do. I was brought up watching a real football team in the 1970's and i know what kind of player we would love to see playing in our team now. BUT we haven't got that class of player so we have to get behind the players we do have.

If they are crap you come on here and vent your anger and frustration at them and not everyone agrees with you do they? Not everyone agrees that Lewis had a good game better than most of his collegues.

Let him take the plaudits and for once let us take the positives from his performance and hope it spurs them on. ggtth :agree:

PeeJay
30-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Watched the game last night on Hibs TV., thought Lewis had a really good game. I'm amazed at people on here saying they saw nothing of the sort? He had one 25-30 yard run at their defence in the 1st half only to chicken out and slip the ball to Wotherspoon instead of having a go himself, he had a shot at goal saved by the goalie, and one subliminal 40 yard diagonal forward pass to Riordan who then had a shot at goal, in the 2nd he also had some fine moves and so on... why do Hibs fans at the game (apparently) not notice these things and why do they only notice the mistakes - because yes, he made some mistakes too? I'm not saying he should have been MoM, but he put in a solid, creative and committed perfomance last night. I would definitely keep him. Simply do not understand when a player has a good game - and he definitely had a good game last night - that "fans" claim he was nothing and should be shifted on?

sunshine1875
30-12-2010, 09:24 AM
On that showing tonight, he is 100% better than Miller.

I see that my post has generated the usual negative comments, which is not a surprise. It is a fans forum afterall.

My introductory comment is that "On that showing tonight, he is 100% better than Miller", followed by "Not saying he is the solution to all our problems".

100% better than Miller based on last night showing, his first that I can recall in Miller's position. So let's review the facts about Miller over the past 10 months since the going got tough.

Does Miller make the killer pass? (i.e. spreads the ball wide quickly to get us moving forward) - struggling to remember one in the last 10 months!

Does Miller burst into the box to create opportunities for him / his teammates? - apart from the Well away game, struggling to remember one!

Strong midfield tackler? - well he gets booked now and then, but don't recall many important game saving challenges

Does Miller make pretty turns in midfield and play three yard passes to his team-mate beside him (i.e going nowhere)? - well often, but less so now McBride is not there.

Does Miller attempt / takes on the 20-30 yard shots? - rarely!

Does Miller take a game going badly by the short and curlies and bullies our team back onto the front foot? - never!

In summing up, what has Miller done for the last 10 months. Not a lot, IMO. So to claim that Stevenson on last nights display is 100% better than Miller is a fair summary IMO.

Yes - he has to do it more often. But I saw enough last night to say that I would rather Stevenson in my midfield rather than Miller.

lapsedhibee
30-12-2010, 09:28 AM
He had one subliminal 40 yard diagonal forward pass to Riordan who then had a shot at goal, in the 2nd he also had some fine moves and so on... why do Hibs fans at the game (apparently) not notice these things?

I don't remember the 40 yard pass. I guess it didn't register. :wink:

PeeJay
30-12-2010, 10:09 AM
I don't remember the 40 yard pass. I guess it didn't register. :wink:

In my defence I checked the highlights again this morning - Stevenson & Riordan and the diagonal were definitely involved: the 40 yards might be slightly OTT ... :greengrin

Winston Ingram
30-12-2010, 11:03 AM
I hope we plan to give him a new deal. Since Collins has left he has rarely been given a chance and when he has he's never been given a set position. Instead the likes of Rankin and Keenan have kept him out.

Technically he's excellent and if we give him a run of games we could have a player

jdships
30-12-2010, 12:51 PM
I made him MOTM tonight and he only went off because he was 100% knackered as he had given every ounce of fight and energy he had by then!

Well done Lewis, a good player doesn't lose what makes him good no matter what some of the keyboard "experts" might say!

:thumbsup:

:top marks

KWJ
30-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Fair dos, I would expect these things as the bare minimum from a midfielder in an SPL team though !

Not saying he played poorly, but he certainly never stood out for me ! :agree:

You may expect but Hibs haven't had one midfielder who produces it week in week out for a VERY long time and we've not had one that does it now and then since January.

He'd get a regular game for most bottom 6 clubs I reckon.

lucky
30-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Stevenson played well last night and was my MOM, that said he has not shown enough over the last 4 years to merit a new contract. He looks scared when going forward and generally passes the buck. If he grows a pair of balls then he might just turn out to be OK but time is running out rapidly for him.

Sir David Gray
30-12-2010, 02:20 PM

He is. :agree:

Judas Iscariot
30-12-2010, 02:35 PM
He is. :agree:

Good..

Surely to **** it won't be gettin renewed..

Unless we're in the 1st Division though as he might look a player there..

Dunbar Hibee
30-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Good..

Surely to **** it won't be gettin renewed..

Unless we're in the 1st Division though as he might look a player there..

I think it will be renewed. Hopefully anyway:agree:

blackpoolhibs
30-12-2010, 03:47 PM
You may expect but Hibs haven't had one midfielder who produces it week in week out for a VERY long time and we've not had one that does it now and then since January.

He'd get a regular game for most bottom 6 clubs I reckon.

Fandabidozi, should fit in well with us then? :boo hoo: Which top 6 team would he get a game for, thats what we should be asking?

Baldy Foghorn
30-12-2010, 08:58 PM
I have always liked LS, and he always gives 100%. Thought he played well last night, and would like to see him kept on.....

sunshine1875
02-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettle down!

I re-iterate my view that on LS's showing on Wednesday against United and Miller's play over the last 10 months an example of which was yesterday, LS is 100% better than Miller.

Miller has been a passenger for the last 10 months. All he contributes is a few pretty passes that go side way. How many times did he have the opportunity to get the ball down and get us moving forward only for him to attempt first time passes that only went straight to a Hertz player. And when he did get the ball under control, he was slow and comfortably tackled.

I can see why he is playing at Hibs and not at a higher level. An imposter, wage thief etc.

Give me Lewis Stevenson any day. Not the answer to all our problems, but someone who cares and gives 100%. I re-iterate 100% better than Miller. Yes, he has to do it in every game and I hope now he is given that opportunity.