PDA

View Full Version : Caderwood's top priority......

Jim44
29-12-2010, 09:28 PM
.....is to achieve what all our recent managers have failed to do.............. establish some sort of credible defence. Even if he more or less ignored midfield and strikers that would satisfy me.

muirhousehibby
29-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Defensively we are pish poor. And i'm sure once cc gets the defence sorted we can go from strength to strength.

We need a couple of Big bruisers. :thumbsup:

hibee_girl
29-12-2010, 09:37 PM
:agree:

We looked quite positive going forward tonight but it all fell apart with the back 4

PISTOL1875
29-12-2010, 09:39 PM
WE MUST cut out the mistakes at the back as they always cost us goals.. Get rid of them and we have a team....

3pm
29-12-2010, 09:48 PM
.....is to achieve what all our recent managers have failed to do.............. establish some sort of credible defence. Even if he more or less ignored midfield and strikers that would satisfy me.

I agree the defence needs a major overhaul but I don't think we can ignore the attack. We are badly needing someone who can hold the ball up and has a genuine physical presence. Trakys has done alright when he has started but he isn't the solution long term.

We are poor defensively so we need the ball to stick up front more than it is doing and it doesn't help us when the ball is just returned pretty much right away.

RickyS
29-12-2010, 10:17 PM
I agree the defence needs a major overhaul but I don't think we can ignore the attack. We are badly needing someone who can hold the ball up and has a genuine physical presence. Trakys has done alright when he has started but he isn't the solution long term.

We are poor defensively so we need the ball to stick up front more than it is doing and it doesn't help us when the ball is just returned pretty much right away.

what he said:agree:
whats Brewster up to these days:greengrin

Captain Trips
29-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Disagree the clubs need major surgery in every department, 45mins of ok football means little tonight, 2-2 at home against a rival is a poor result. I agree the defence needs sorted but thats the half of it.

I do not see how that being fixed and we are suddenly ok, we lack creation and dig in the middle and quality options up top. IMO Hibs are more than sorting the defence away from being a team.

Sas_The_Hibby
29-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Disagree the clubs need major surgery in every department, 45mins of ok football means little tonight, 2-2 at home against a rival is a poor result. I agree the defence needs sorted but thats the half of it.

I do not see how that being fixed and we are suddenly ok, we lack creation and dig in the middle and quality options up top. IMO Hibs are more than sorting the defence away from being a team.

:agree: It was good to see the fight and commitment in the second half but that shouldn't disguise the overall shambles we were in the first half. One point from two home games against bottom six sides is still relegation form..........

sesoim
30-12-2010, 12:27 AM
I reckon we need six players: two CBs, a LB, a CM, a LW and a reliable target man up front.

The CBs would preferably be of the British, loud, organizer type. The type who take control and CARE.

I'm bored of us being beaten by smallers teams with much more limited resources who still manage to fasten together hardworking well organized teams who take points off us. We should be capable of getting a team together with these kind of qualities, plus the extra skill needed to beat these teams.

muirhousehibby
30-12-2010, 12:42 AM

:thumbsup::agree:

stop the goals going in first would be nice and a good start. We don't know how many players the so called Absolute Perfect budget will allow.

A strong targetman would be nice though.

moggie
30-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Im confident a stronger, better passing midfield will give the rest of the team confidence to go about their own jobs more productively.

Hibbyradge
30-12-2010, 12:49 AM
A left back. A right back. A keeper. A centre back. Another centre back.

Them's the priorities. :agree:

Captain Trips
30-12-2010, 12:54 AM
A left back. A right back. A keeper. A centre back. Another centre back.

Them's the priorities. :agree:

I think 7 or 8 of this team could go, I reckon 7or8 players need signed to go right into team, it has been proved they are simply not good enough to get Hibs into a position thats acceptable. I am unsure CC is the man for such a big task.

truehibernian
30-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Im confident a stronger, better passing midfield will give the rest of the team confidence to go about their own jobs more productively.

Totally agree. We have for the last three seasons never had the right blend and balance in midfield. We score very few goals from midfield, we are quite slow to get the ball zipped around the pitch, and there are occasions where two go for the same ball time and time again. There are no real "shouters" and leaders in there.

We need a real sitting midfielder (fit and can last 90), in front of the central pairing, a driving goal scoring midfielder who is not afraid to get the foot in too.........and we need some braun......a bruiser ! You can then integrate your Zemmama's, Wotherspoon's, Galbraith's around that.

Tonight we didn't have to rely on Utd getting in behind us or being creative. We actually play ourselves into trouble so unnecessarily at times it makes me weep. The needless back passes to Brown (whose distribution was awful), the failure to lump it anywhere when the time requires just that, the overplaying "side to side" passing at the back when the simple pass is on (forward). I have also never known an SPL club to lose possession at so many throw-in's in our favour.

The effort second half was superb tonight but there is still something missing big time IMHO. It looked at times like 11 individuals and not a team. Wee Galbraith was superb from first til last. Took his chance well to impress and surely must start v Hearts.

muirhousehibby
30-12-2010, 01:07 AM
I think 7 or 8 of this team could go, I reckon 7or8 players need signed to go right into team, it has been proved they are simply not good enough to get Hibs into a position thats acceptable. I am unsure CC is the man for such a big task.

Calderwoods record aint great

Northampton Town played 154 won 74

Nottingham Forrest played 136 won 57 finally sacked because he only had
4 wins in last 25 games.

Hibbyradge
30-12-2010, 01:08 AM

I'm unsure too.

I can't think who I would be more sure about though.

:hmmm:

Csaba Laszlo? :dunno:

Captain Trips
30-12-2010, 01:11 AM

4 wins in last 25 games.

I think the job IMO is massive so needs far more experience, however perhaps RP etc dont think such a job. I do not see going on his CV what he had to offer that Hughes didnt and by that I am not saying Hughes should stay. I just dont really see the point in appointing a manager like CC.

Hibbyradge
30-12-2010, 01:12 AM

4 wins in last 25 games.

He drew 82 games in that time too.

I'm absolutely delighted he's had all that experience before getting the Hibs job.

truehibernian
30-12-2010, 01:18 AM

4 wins in last 25 games.

Yes, but you can spin stats anyway you want to win an argument. Are you saying that the 40 occasions he drew with Northampton and the 42 times with Forest mean he is a poor manager given that when you add those into the mix, his teams were unbeaten in over 100 games out of 140 (on average, both teams)....got them both promoted too with those stats. If memory serves me correctly he also managed Northampton to a defensive record of clean sheets in a season.

Hibbyradge
30-12-2010, 01:19 AM

4 wins in last 25 games.

He drew 82 games in that time too.

I'm absolutely delighted he's had all that experience before getting the Hibs job.

As of 17:31, 14 November 2010 (UTC)[15]
Team Nat From To Record
P W D L Win %
Northampton Town 9 October 2003 29 May 2006 154 74 40 40 48.05
Nottingham Forest 30 May 2006 26 December 2008 136 57 42 37 41.91
Hibernian 18 October 2010 Incumbent 9 2 1 6 22.22
Total 299 133 83 83 44.48

muirhousehibby
30-12-2010, 01:19 AM
I think the job IMO is massive so needs far more experience, however perhaps RP etc dont think such a job. I do not see going on his CV what he had to offer that Hughes didnt and by that I am not saying Hughes should stay. I just dont really see the point in appointing a manager like CC.

I think i could be that he did sign a few players from lower league teams and to which i give credit to are all still in the championship or top half of league 1.

He seems to know a good player and hopefully he'll get some good signings for us..

I think we always seem to get a manager thats a "gamble" thats the part i've never really understood.

Frank Sauzee
Tony Mowbray
John Collins
Mixu
Yogi

to name a few...

muirhousehibby
30-12-2010, 01:40 AM
Yes, but you can spin stats anyway you want to win an argument. Are you saying that the 40 occasions he drew with Northampton and the 42 times with Forest mean he is a poor manager given that when you add those into the mix, his teams were unbeaten in over 100 games out of 140 (on average, both teams)....got them both promoted too with those stats. If memory serves me correctly he also managed Northampton to a defensive record of clean sheets in a season.

No argument here to be won and i never quoted he was a poor manager either.

His wins to games played aint great as you can see.

In big leagues with 20 teams etc you can get away with alot of draws.

Only time will tell were he takes us. And as i said every manager we'd had lately has been a gamble by board

Mikey_1875
30-12-2010, 02:00 AM
:agree: It was good to see the fight and commitment in the second half but that shouldn't disguise the overall shambles we were in the first half. One point from two home games against bottom six sides is still relegation form..........

:agree: We are still pish poor with major work needed.

muirhousehibby
30-12-2010, 02:08 AM
:agree: We are still pish poor with major work needed.

Hopefully in 2 days or so we'll find out on new arrivals, surely we'll add to the squad.

Sprouleflyer
30-12-2010, 08:54 AM
What we need is a settled defence.

How many changes has Calderwood made to the defence this season?

A defence needs to work as a unit and you can only become a unit by training and playing as a unit.

If you constantly change the CB pairing, you will never have a settled back line.

Calderwood has to take a huge portion of blame for the utter mess we are in at the back.

PeeJay
30-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Maybe instead of pretending things will get better after the transfer wndow we should simply get down to the basics. An organised defence that was concentrating would not have lost the first goal after only 1.5 minutes last night for example. Bamba's shocking 1st time touch mistake was bad enough, but Dickoh failed to hold the line and by being too far back he played Goodwillie onside. At no time during the game did I notice any real communication in that back four, who is supposed to be in charge of it? Why hasn't Calderwood tackled that, it's not rocket science is it? What do they work on at the training ground? So 4 guys have to stand in a line: it's not that difficult, surely?
Calderwood , get someone in charge and make sure they move out when required or at least that they hold the line.

hibiedude
30-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Caderwood's top priority is to keep us in the SPL this season

Caversham Green
30-12-2010, 09:30 AM
No argument here to be won and i never quoted he was a poor manager either.

His wins to games played aint great as you can see.

In big leagues with 20 teams etc you can get away with alot of draws.

Only time will tell were he takes us. And as i said every manager we'd had lately has been a gamble by board

Those wins to games ratios you quote are better than Mowbray's was at Hibs.

stubru59
30-12-2010, 09:54 AM
What we need is a settled defence.

How many changes has Calderwood made to the defence this season?

A defence needs to work as a unit and you can only become a unit by training and playing as a unit.

If you constantly change the CB pairing, you will never have a settled back line.

Calderwood has to take a huge portion of blame for the utter mess we are in at the back.

No doubt a settled defence would help. But, there's no accounting for the number of basic individual error's committed by players.

The fact is, too many of the players are simply not up to it. Time will tell whether CC is up to it.

matty_f
30-12-2010, 10:02 AM
No doubt a settled defence would help. But, there's no accounting for the number of basic individual error's committed by players.

The fact is, too many of the players are simply not up to it. Time will tell whether CC is up to it.

I agree with that. We were a minute into the game when a very basic individual mistake put us behind. the second goal was lost down to an individual not making the tackle properly. I don't know how much calderwood can do to coach a professional how to control a football, tbh.
It comes down to players. We would have taken much more points this season had it not been for gifting opponents goals and missing penalties and open goals.

fife hfc
30-12-2010, 10:56 AM
There are so many positions needing strengthened it will not be possible to do it all in this transfer window. I hope he concentrates on getting the spine of the team right and brings in a big solid bruiser of a centre half who can also organise (not asking much). A midfielder who can take command in the centre of the park and a targetman type who can hold the ball up and has a bit of speed about him. I'm not asking for much!

woodyloon
30-12-2010, 11:21 AM
WE MUST cut out the mistakes at the back as they always cost us goals.. Get rid of them and we have a team....

Totally agree, it is frighten that what seems like every mistake we make we end up getting punished, but we don't seem to be able to do that when the teams we play make mistakes, just like last night, United were guilty of making poor clearances or tackling each other or weak passes, but we never seemed to be in the right position to take advantage.

One thing that was clear last night was in the 1st half especially, that not one player wanted to take control, it was so nervous, to the point that sometimes the player was scared to make or try the pass, to the point they got closed down and then had no options. Calderwood needs to get them to try and express themself and get the ball moving quickly, and stop playing with so much fear.

snooky
30-12-2010, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=truehibernian;2672659]Totally agree. We have for the last three seasons never had the right blend and balance in midfield. We score very few goals from midfield, we are quite slow to get the ball zipped around the pitch, and there are occasions where two go for the same ball time and time again. There are no real "shouters" and leaders in there....

QUOTE]

:agree: Good point. I noticed this a couple of times last night.

I can't wait till CC does his cull and gets a recognised settled first 11.

--------
30-12-2010, 02:46 PM
There are so many positions needing strengthened it will not be possible to do it all in this transfer window. I hope he concentrates on getting the spine of the team right and brings in a big solid bruiser of a centre half who can also organise (not asking much). A midfielder who can take command in the centre of the park and a targetman type who can hold the ball up and has a bit of speed about him. I'm not asking for much!

You're not, are you? :greengrin

Is it possible that the knives are out for Calderwood already? How long has he been at ER exactly?

You're absolutely right - everything that needs done won't be done this window, nor the next, nor even the next.

A huge part of the problem at ER is that no manager gets more than a eighteen months to sort things. Mowbray was the last to stay more than two years; Collins left after a player revolt, alleging a lack of ambition on the part of the board; Mixu lost the support (myself included - I admit it) in just over a year; Hughes lasted just over a season and left a legacy of confusion and mediocrity - now CC has the job and already some of us are after HIM. Sooner or later we're going to have to stick with a manager for more than a few months.

My reading of the matter relates to what happens next. IMO CC has spent his last few months assessing the size of the problem he faces. He's been changing the team around, yes - but no one at present on the staff can say he hasn't had a chance to show what he can do.

I would expect that in this window certain players will leave, and some of us won't be happy about who they are. Others will come in, probably on loan deals till the end of season, enough to keep us in the top league, hopefully with a decent Cup run as a bonus. (Though with our record in that particular competition, I wouldn't hold my breath.)

I expect a real clear-out in June, with a number of new players in, and a few of our younger players promoted. Next season will probably not be too pretty, either, unless (as is being argued in another thread on the forum) the board start to earn THEIR corn and provide CC with a realistic budget to improve the side and get the team climbing the table. If they can't, and if they come to another 'amicable' agreement with this manager to 'part company', then they need to resign en masse and be replaced with a board who CAN do the job.

I suspect they also need to make it clear once and for all to the playing staff that the manager is the boss and that anything less than 100% effort from them is unacceptable to the club and the supporters.

FWIW, I'm confident that CC is perfectly capable of doing the job we want him to do - but not if he's undermined by players not trying, the board not supporting him financially and otherwise, and the fans yelling for his dismissal.

Right now, I can assure you that Hibs are a complete joke in the eyes of many other football supporters. This isn't CC's fault - he hasn't been here long enough for it to be his fault.

If the fault lands anywhere, it lands smack in the middle of the big table in the middle of the ER boardroom.