PDA

View Full Version : Deeks on his way out

big-mo
28-12-2010, 01:38 PM
SSN understands Turkish outfit Eskisehirspor are preparing a January bid for Hibernian striker Derek Riordan. £250k

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6619238,00.html

Not good news but better then the stories that were going around yesterday that he was off to Castle Grayskull.

OstKurve Hibs
28-12-2010, 01:43 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9324360.stm

On the bbc aswell, canny see him goin to turkey. And please not ibronx!!!

PaulSmith
28-12-2010, 01:52 PM
For 250k Hibs will sell and tell Calderwood that he now has Duffy, Byrne and Zouma as replacements.
Deek would be better speaking to Mikey Stewart who signed for a Turkish team, 'hurt' his ankle and has never set foot again in the country again.. Picks up a fairly hefty weekly wage though!

Mikey_1875
28-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I understand that his contract is coming to a close but 250k is a massive undervaluation! Joke if this was accepted, would rather he left for free at the end of the season as he is our only goalscorer! Can't see him leaving to Turkey but if that is the going price for him then no sale imo!

Twiglet
28-12-2010, 01:55 PM
There were rumours of bids for him in the summer and he never went anywhere. I hope that it's the same this time and it's purely rumour. It may also come down to what his girkfriend feels about a move to Turkey. With a wee baby she (and maybe him too) may be a bit reluctant spending a long time away her family.

Franck is God
28-12-2010, 01:57 PM
given his contribution on Sunday and the percentage of the wage budget he collects every week I can think of worse things to happen.

Given the torrid time that free transfer from Northampton Scott Vernon gave us on Sunday or the season that Connor Salmon coming from the Irish league is having I think there are more value for money players out there than some of the wage collecting wasters that we currently have!

Bostonhibby
28-12-2010, 02:00 PM
£250K, thats going to look good on the balance sheet, either that or we can fill in one of the corners with seats that no one will sit in thereby increasing the value of the assett, Jeez, I am fair excited, maybe we can write it down to tax,or offshore the money or some other financial chicanery whilst the team goes doon the plug hole.

Turkey, nae chance, Deks doen't know where it is - Ibrox, I feel is a prospect.

Jim44
28-12-2010, 02:02 PM
given his contribution on Sunday and the percentage of the wage budget he collects every week I can think of worse things to happen.

Given the torrid time that free transfer from Northampton Scott Vernon gave us on Sunday or the season that Connor Salmon coming from the Irish league is having I think there are more value for money players out there than some of the wage collecting wasters that we currently have!

The problem is that our 'scouts' don't seem to have an eye for a good player these days.

PaulSmith
28-12-2010, 02:02 PM

Very unfair to compare Vernon and Sammon to Riordan.
Put in another way can you imagine how many more goals Derek would score up front with Kyle, Sammon, Vernon or similar instead of asking him to play with Nish or the dud Trakys?

Craig_in_Prague
28-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Would not surprise me if Hibs sell our ONLY very good player.

Most other clubs that had a goal machine like him playing for the club he supports, would have had him signed up by now on the best possible wages we could manage + a bit more.

If we lose him, god forbid.

1st division is as exciting as the championship in england, i guess :aok:

silverhibee
28-12-2010, 02:10 PM

Did you not notice that he picked up an injury in the first 10 minutes of that game and hobbled through the rest of the game, he was struggling but the manager took the risk to let him play on.
But dont let that get in the way of your constant bad mouthing of Deek, injured and still scored, set up Miller and Trakys who both should have scored, and was was unlucky with a volley in the second half that just went past the post.
What did the other forwards contribute.

GreenCastle
28-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Let's get rid of Stokes and Riordan - wow can't wait to see who is going to score goals.

I don't think Deek's would move to Turkey with his gf / kid / family.

Glasgow was a big enough move for the lad.

Franck is God
28-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Put in another way can you imagine how many more goals Derek would score up front with Kyle, Sammon, Vernon or similar instead of asking him to play with Nish or the dud Trakys?

Why is it unfair, Riordan cost us best part of £500k to bring back to the club and is one of the best paid players in Scotland outside the Infirm.

Both Aberdeen and Killie picked up these players for nothing and they will be on a fraction of the wages Deek picks up and neither of them have the same natural talent. They make up for it with determination and workrate and are seeing the results for it.

I am sick of the rest of the team getting blamed for Riordan wandering about the pitch doing ****** all, sometimes when things aren't going so well you have to roll your sleeves up and get the finger out and be part of a team not just in it for yourself.

deek68
28-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Did you not notice that he picked up an injury in the first 10 minutes of that game and hobbled through the rest of the game, he was struggling but the manager took the risk to let him play on.
But dont let that get in the way of your constant bad mouthing of Deek, injured and still scored, set up Miller and Trakys who both should have scored, and was was unlucky with a volley in the second half that just went past the post.

And Murray. Strangely enough we got our best result of the season without Riordan but i wouldn't want to see him go. The former Celtic :rolleyes: player is important to us.

truehibernian
28-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Never mind that, what is gonna happen to the Easter Road card school if he goes :greengrin

PaulSmith
28-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Why is it unfair, Riordan cost us best part of £500k to bring back to the club and is one of the best paid players in Scotland outside the Infirm.

Both Aberdeen and Killie picked up these players for nothing and they will be on a fraction of the wages Deek picks up and neither of them have the same natural talent. They make up for it with determination and workrate and are seeing the results for it.

I am sick of the rest of the team getting blamed for Riordan wandering about the pitch doing ****** all, sometimes when things aren't going so well you have to roll your sleeves up and get the finger out and be part of a team not just in it for yourself.

Pish, a team is made up of different styles of players. We have who takes excellent set pieces, scores 15-20 every season, sets up chances and is capable of sheer genius.
If your asking him to play like Vernon and Sammon then that is a joke and you take away everything that he brings to the team.

Franck is God
28-12-2010, 02:21 PM

Sorry mate, you have always seen my criticism of Riordan as unfair.

What I think is unfair is the biggest waste of natural footballing talent that Scotland has ever produced. He is now in his late 20's and as a striker should be approaching the best period in his career. With the ability this guy has he should be playing in the Premiership or similar but his clear lack of ambition and poor attitude has landed him back at ER.

silverhibee
28-12-2010, 02:22 PM

You dont half talk a load of tom kite, how many goals did Sammon score in the last two seasons before this one, a whopping 4, thats where his hard work got him, yes he is having a good season but he needs to do it every season, not just maybe a one of good season.
Right now Deek is an inform goal scorer for us, who else do you suggest should be starting ahead of him.

Franck is God
28-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Pish, a team is made up of different styles of players. We have who takes excellent set pieces, scores 15-20 every season, sets up chances and is capable of sheer genius.
If your asking him to play like Vernon and Sammon then that is a joke and you take away everything that he brings to the team.

How many points has his sheer genius won for us this season?

Given the situation we are in right now I'd take a Vernon, Sammon, Kyle, Blackman, Rooney in his place any day of the week.

silverhibee
28-12-2010, 02:25 PM

What I think is unfair is the biggest waste of natural footballing talent that Scotland has ever produced. He is now in his late 20's and as a striker should be approaching the best period in his career. With the ability this guy has he should be playing in the Premiership or similar but his clear lack of ambition and poor attitude has landed him back at ER.

So did you not notice the injury he picked up on Sunday.:confused:

Franck is God
28-12-2010, 02:30 PM
You dont half talk a load of tom kite, how many goals did Sammon score in the last two seasons before this one, a whopping 4, thats where his hard work got him, yes he is having a good season but he needs to do it every season, not just maybe a one of good season.
Right now Deek is an inform goal scorer for us, who else do you suggest should be starting ahead of him.

Maybe Killie took a chance on a player coming from a lower league and actually had the patience to wait from him to come good and saw that even without scoring he made a valuable contribution to the team when he did play.

Craig_in_Prague
28-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Maybe Killie took a chance on a player coming from a lower league and actually had the patience to wait from him to come good and saw that even without scoring he made a valuable contribution to the team when he did play.

Love it !

lets get rid of one of our best all time goal scorers and replace him with some unknown and wait a couple of years or so until some manager eventually get's a bit form and consistency out of him.
Class :thumbsup:

Franck is God
28-12-2010, 02:32 PM
So did you not notice the injury he picked up on Sunday.:confused:

It only seemed to affect him when he didn't have the ball....I like a wee limp to myself when I can't be bothered either.

Twiglet
28-12-2010, 02:34 PM
I didn't notice any injury. He did go over to the touchline and get a new pair of studs in the first 10 minutes.

Vini1875
28-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Hibs should have had this sorted out. Riordan ought to be given a new contract at ER simple as that. £250k is a joke to accept.

If on the other hand Hibs have offered him a very good deal, but Derek has decided to move on then fair enough and thanks for the memories.

Franck is God
28-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Love it !

lets get rid of one of our best all time goal scorers and replace him with some unknown and wait a couple of years or so until some manager eventually get's a bit form and consistency out of him.
Class :thumbsup:

That will be some unknown like Dean Shiels, David Murphy, Ivan Sproule, Beuzelin, Zemmama etc.

These guys are only unknown to us because we don't see them and they play in leagues that are not discussed in our media.

Also I have not suggested for a second that we get rid of him, I just don't think he gives enough to the team effort to be first choice every week. I am hopeful that Duffy and Zemmama and maybe a couple of new signings will improve the strength of the squad and definitely then I don't want to see us creating room for him, we can't afford luxury players right now.

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2010, 02:39 PM

WTF are you on about? The greatest waste of natural talent my arse. He's good, SPL good. He'd fail in the English Premiership. He's a lightweight forward/wide player, who has a great eye for a goal in the SPL. No English premier league club would play him, the struggling ones want more graft than he offers, and the good ones would want better.

He's a good player, but lets not make him out to be the next Dalgliesh.

Godsahibby
28-12-2010, 02:42 PM

Dud Trakys? I didnt realise as a group of fans we had made a decision on him yet. Here was me thinking he'd been alright the last few times he has played.

Franck is God
28-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Dud Trakys? I didnt realise as a group of fans we had made a decision on him yet. Here was me thinking he'd been alright the last few times he has played.

He did play poorly on Sunday......did you not realise that unless you have cult status amongst the fans then you're not allowed a poor game or make a mistake.

silverhibee
28-12-2010, 03:01 PM
He did play poorly on Sunday......did you not realise that unless you have cult status amongst the fans then you're not allowed a poor game or make a mistake.

You are just being silly now. :na na:

PaulSmith
28-12-2010, 03:04 PM

Not group of fans opinion but mine based on what I've seen. Exhibits on Saturday A) the chance that Riordan played him in on with the back heel B) The header at the back post from Riordan's corner.

Trakys will leave Hibs at the end of the season with no more than 2 goals to his name and sign on for his 20th club in 17 years (or something like that).

Judas Iscariot
28-12-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm not worried about Derek not being resigned or leaving... :fibber:

Hogg and Rank are about to be offered new deals :agree:

That'll get me and other folk renewing their ST's right enough :bitchy:

.Sean.
28-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Given the situation we are in right now I'd take a Vernon, Sammon, Kyle, Blackman, Rooney in his place any day of the week.
:faf:

One season wonders the lot of them. Derek Riordan most certainly is not.

KeithTheHibby
28-12-2010, 03:10 PM

I think you need to take a step back into reality and realise that Riordan is our one decent player.

He has, and never will be this type of player who runs about like a tit all day. His work rate is far greater than it has been in his first spell, that is so obvious.
You need to start looking at other areas and players in that team who are far more undeserving of a job at Hibs as opposed to Riordan.

Lago
28-12-2010, 03:13 PM
SSN understands Turkish outfit Eskisehirspor are preparing a January bid for Hibernian striker Derek Riordan. £250k

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6619238,00.html

Not good news but better then the stories that were going around yesterday that he was off to Castle Grayskull.

Don't you just love it when the 'Deeks is leaving rumours start'

KeithTheHibby
28-12-2010, 03:14 PM
That will be some unknown like Dean Shiels, David Murphy, Ivan Sproule, Beuzelin, Zemmama etc.

These guys are only unknown to us because we don't see them and they play in leagues that are not discussed in our media.

Also I have not suggested for a second that we get rid of him, I just don't think he gives enough to the team effort to be first choice every week. I am hopeful that Duffy and Zemmama and maybe a couple of new signings will improve the strength of the squad and definitely then I don't want to see us creating room for him, we can't afford luxury players right now.

And those players hit the ground running when they came to ER, unlike those huddies you mentioned earlier.

Out of interest, of the current squad we have who would you play up front then given your statement that Riordan doesn't deserve to be first choice each week?

This response I am going to love...

silverhibee
28-12-2010, 03:16 PM
I think you need to take a step back into reality and realise that Riordan is our one decent player.

He has, and never will be this type of player who runs about like a tit all day. His work rate is far greater than it has been in his first spell, that is so obvious.
You need to start looking at other areas and players in that team who are far more undeserving of a job at Hibs as opposed to Riordan.

The only time fig contributes to this board is to have a go at Deek.

Beefster
28-12-2010, 03:17 PM

Some folk only post to defend Riordan so I'm sure it all balances out.

silverhibee
28-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Some folk only post to defend Riordan so I'm sure it all balances out.

I like to talk about Hibs as well, fig just has a go at Deek for the fun of it, or do you think like fig that wee should be dropping Deeks for our other on-form strikers.:rolleyes:

Craig_in_Prague
28-12-2010, 03:29 PM
swap him for bobby mann :cool2:

Beefster
28-12-2010, 03:36 PM
I like to talk about Hibs as well, fig just has a go at Deek for the fun of it, or do you think like fig that wee should be dropping Deeks for our other on-form strikers.:rolleyes:

Nope, he shouldn't be dropped, if he's fit, based on the squad we have.

steakbake
28-12-2010, 03:46 PM
WHEN he goes, it'd with my best wishes. He's done very well for hibs but if i was in his shoes, id want one last big pay day, too. Hopefully this time, itd be nice if he did so in a way which nets HFC a bit of cash.

AgentDaleCooper
28-12-2010, 03:51 PM
unless we get a LOT of new players in january, i reckon we're going down if we lose deek. our defence is dire, and he's scored almost half our goals so far, plus a fair few assists...he's the only bit of class we've got, and certainly the only reason to go and watch hibs at the moment.

woody47
28-12-2010, 04:01 PM
I never understand anyone who has a go at Deek.

I can only assume that they have never really watched im. He gets into space time and time again but others don't see him. When he gets he ball, he is quick to see where others are and plays an intellegent ball to them. See the amount of assists he has. Also, even on Saturday, look at the times he played reverse balls, back healers etc to put others in with a scoring chance but they missed/keeper saved.

This is what you get from Deek. He is not, and never will be, a defender. He is a free scoring forward who, if given the ball, will either create something for others or score himself.

Lets hope he signs a new deal with us as we realy cannot afford not to have him in the side with the goals we know he can score.

RickyS
28-12-2010, 04:43 PM

I can only assume that they have never really watched im. He gets into space time and time again but others don't see him. When he gets he ball, he is quick to see where others are and plays an intellegent ball to them. See the amount of assists he has. Also, even on Saturday, look at the times he played reverse balls, back healers etc to put others in with a scoring chance but they missed/keeper saved.

This is what you get from Deek. He is not, and never will be, a defender. He is a free scoring forward who, if given the ball, will either create something for others or score himself.

Lets hope he signs a new deal with us as we realy cannot afford not to have him in the side with the goals we know he can score.

:top marks

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2010, 04:47 PM

:agree:
There is an element of our support, who for reasons beyond me, prefer your hammer thrower type player to players with genuine quality. :confused:

Ray_
28-12-2010, 04:48 PM

Me to:top marks

fife hfc
28-12-2010, 04:54 PM
unless we get a LOT of new players in january, i reckon we're going down if we lose deek. our defence is dire, and he's scored almost half our goals so far, plus a fair few assists...he's the only bit of class we've got, and certainly the only reason to go and watch hibs at the moment.

woody47

:top marks Both of you are spot on and sum up my feelings perfectly.

Saorsa
28-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Lets hope he signs a new deal with us as we realy cannot afford not to have him in the side with the goals we know he can score.:top marks

Dashing Bob S
28-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Can't see the fuss: give the Nish-Trakys combo a chance and the goals will flow.

Bostonhibby
28-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Can't see the fuss: give the Nish-Trakys combo a chance and the goals will flow.

Dinnae see it if we haven't got Keenan as the provider.

Alfred E Newman
28-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Like him or loathe him Riordan is the only player of any genuine quality at Easter Road at the moment . Given our current predicament selling him now would be madness and the final straw for many, myself included.

Franck is God
28-12-2010, 05:43 PM
And those players hit the ground running when they came to ER, unlike those huddies you mentioned earlier.

Out of interest, of the current squad we have who would you play up front then given your statement that Riordan doesn't deserve to be first choice each week?

This response I am going to love...

They didn't all hit the ground running, it was months before Sproule made his impact and was in fact about to leave when he scored his goals at Ibrox. Shiels arrived as a prospect and again took some time to force himself into the first team squad. Even Murphy took a while to get to the pace of the game, when he first arrived he looked a bit pedestrian at times but ended up being a cracking player for us. My point was more to do with the fact that nobody had really heard of any of them but gave them the time to settle into being a Hibs player, something that new players now don't seem to get.

I edited my post slightly after I said I didn't think he should be first choice to say that once we add to the squad in January and players returning from injury he should have to fight for his place in the team like everyone else.

For tomorrow nights game we do not have a better option but according to the Scotsman today Duffy, Zemmama & Welsh all have a chance of starting or at least be in the squad which is excellent news. We all know what Zemmama is capable of, Duffy has already been successful at this level and after seeing the under 19s playing a number of times a couple of seasons ago I rated Welsh just as highly as Spoony & Hanlon.

Contrary to what some people think I don't dislike Riordan as a player but I felt that under Mixu then Yogi and maybe now under CC he seems to be guaranteed his place every week. For such an underperforming side I don't see a single player in our first team that deserves such an honour. From the team that played against Aberdeen only Brown and Spoony for me got pass marks, everybody else's place should be under threat.

hibsbollah
28-12-2010, 05:46 PM

Its obvious to anyone with two eyes on them that we should do whatever is necessary to keep Deek here.

The real question is, given the way we're playing, our league position and the quality around him, why would Riordan want to stay?

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2010, 05:47 PM
They didn't all hit the ground running, it was months before Sproule made his impact and was in fact about to leave when he scored his goals at Ibrox. Shiels arrived as a prospect and again took some time to force himself into the first team squad. Even Murphy took a while to get to the pace of the game, when he first arrived he looked a bit pedestrian at times but ended up being a cracking player for us. My point was more to do with the fact that nobody had really heard of any of them but gave them the time to settle into being a Hibs player, something that new players now don't seem to get.

I edited my post slightly after I said I didn't think he should be first choice to say that once we add to the squad in January and players returning from injury he should have to fight for his place in the team like everyone else.

For tomorrow nights game we do not have a better option but according to the Scotsman today Duffy, Zemmama & Welsh all have a chance of starting or at least be in the squad which is excellent news. We all know what Zemmama is capable of, Duffy has already been successful at this level and after seeing the under 19s playing a number of times a couple of seasons ago I rated Welsh just as highly as Spoony & Hanlon.

Contrary to what some people think I don't dislike Riordan as a player but I felt that under Mixu then Yogi and maybe now under CC he seems to be guaranteed his place every week. For such an underperforming side I don't see a single player in our first team that deserves such an honour. From the team that played against Aberdeen only Brown and Spoony for me got pass marks, everybody else's place should be under threat.

And so he should be, he has whats called quality. He also scores the odd goal now and then, you may have noticed? Who should he be replaced with, and why?

The Silver Fox
28-12-2010, 05:50 PM
250k seems a ridiculously low sum for such a prolific scorer. Then again the market decides the true value.

Hibs will miss him badly if he goes, what could we get to replace for 250k? Not much.

Hibbyradge
28-12-2010, 05:53 PM
250k seems a ridiculously low sum for such a prolific scorer. Then again the market decides the true value.

Hibs will miss him badly if he goes, what could we get to replace for 250k? Not much.

£250 isn't too bad considering the last time he walked out on us, we almost got nothing and eventually had to settle for £125k, iirc.

He can sign for who he wants next week, and if he stays till the end of the season, we get nowt.

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2010, 05:53 PM

We replaced the £1.8m Garry O with a free transfer Chris Killen. It can be done.

Hibbyradge
28-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Its obvious to anyone with two eyes on them that we should do whatever is necessary to keep Deek here.

The real question is, given the way we're playing, our league position and the quality around him, why would Riordan want to stay?

Whatever is necessary? Really?

How much should we offer him?

Aldo
28-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Sorry but DR is the only player at ER that has a natural ability to score goals....left peg right peg, free kicks, in the box and so it goes on.

For me the only person in the team that should be one of the 1st on the team sheet...him along with Brown (best keeper for 6 or 7 seasons) and Ian Murray.

DR is quality ENDOF and anyone on here that thinks we will manage without him is nuts.

Miller is off and I hope most of the other wasters are off as well.

CC will make DR is priority as he knows what he gives him up front and thats

GOALS.

DR is a Hibernian legend and lets not forget this.

hibsbollah
28-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Whatever is necessary? Really?

How much should we offer him?

Within our overall budget, and as much as we can afford. Certainly he's done enough to justify being our highest earner.

How much do you think?

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Within our overall budget, and as much as we can afford. Certainly he's done enough to justify being our highest earner.

How much do you think?

How much short of that have we offered him?

Sir David Gray
28-12-2010, 06:07 PM
If Riordan leaves next month, we might as well start preparing for the first division right away.

We are donald ducked if Riordan goes.

As it happens, I really can't see him going to Turkey, especially now that he has a newborn baby to think about.

CropleyWasGod
28-12-2010, 06:17 PM
If Riordan leaves next month, we might as well start preparing for the first division right away.

As it happens, I really can't see him going to Turkey, especially now that he has a newborn baby to think about.

Why? Do they eat them out there?

Actually, if it's good money on offer, that would be an even better reason to go.

muirhousehibby
28-12-2010, 06:20 PM

One player doesn't make a team! yes he's our top goalscorer but life goes on as we did when sauzee, latapy left.

Nothing has changed from 2001 when Alex McLeish said but if we were to take anyone on at Hibernian he would need to fit into a certain wage structure.

I think we maybe paid more to players then than we do now. who Knows eh

Sir David Gray
28-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Why? Do they eat them out there?

Actually, if it's good money on offer, that would be an even better reason to go.

Personally if it was me and I had a baby, I would want the help and support from my immediate family.

There's no danger that I would be moving over 2000 miles.

hibsbollah
28-12-2010, 06:26 PM
How much short of that have we offered him?

I have no idea.

CropleyWasGod
28-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Personally if it was me and I had a baby, I would want the help and support from my immediate family.

There's no danger that I would be moving over 2000 miles.

Fair point. But the trade-off is getting more money, even for a short time, and having the luxury of affording a nanny et al.

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2010, 06:32 PM
I have no idea.

Me neither, but i'd put money on him wanting much more than we can afford.

Judas Iscariot
28-12-2010, 06:37 PM

If the Turkish chat is to be true, I think Derek will seriously be considering it..

Massive pay day, warm climate, can live peacefully and unbothered with his Mrs and wee yin..

2 year deal then come back home after making enough money to live comfortably once he retires..

Plus, he'll only be 30ish then and will have another few seasons at SPL in him aswell..

Why would he want to stay here?

Saying that, I would :fibber:

matty_f
28-12-2010, 06:38 PM

Spot on.

Bishop Hibee
28-12-2010, 06:38 PM

:top marks Getting rid of Stokes about 2 mins before the transfer window closed was a stroke of genius which would only topped by letting Deek go during this window.

CC should be looking to bring in someone on loan to help Riordan out up front if he thinks Duffy isn't up to the job.

truehibernian
28-12-2010, 06:43 PM
I think folk need to remember that the club still hold the aces here. Yes, Derek can talk to other clubs as of January, and if need be sign a pre-contract. But I think even Ebeneezer Petrie will concede that selling DR for a miserly fee in this window would be to lose money for the rest of the season.....fans would walk quite literally away from the club. For the amount of money mentioned, we would lose more by fans not attending the rest of the home games IMHO. You lose goals, fans and confidence by selling your top goal scorer especially in the predicament we are in.

If he goes, it will be for nowt in the summer and there will be a clamour of clubs closer to home that will poach him. Championship bound methinks.

Sir David Gray
28-12-2010, 06:58 PM
One player doesn't make a team! yes he's our top goalscorer but life goes on as we did when sauzee, latapy left.

Nothing has changed from 2001 when Alex McLeish said but if we were to take anyone on at Hibernian he would need to fit into a certain wage structure.

I think we maybe paid more to players then than we do now. who Knows eh

In the long term, of course we can recover from losing him, but in the short/medium term, I don't believe we can cope with losing Derek Riordan. He is not only our top goalscorer, he is our only goalscorer and losing him next month would turn the threat of relegation into an inevitability, rather than just a distinct possibility.

Bad Martini
28-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Riordan has scored more than anyone else, many of which NOBODY else could actually score....

Riordan continues to set-up more goals than most could dream...

Remind me again why we have a huge number of people who seem to think Hibs without (arguably, though not much arguing needed when the facts and your eyes are used) our best player would be better?????

Maybe DeGraff will start banging in some of those sitters he's missed? Big Nishy will start battering in anything he's missed, Rankin will start spraying 20 yard passes and such like???

Get real folks...we NEED Riordan more now, than we ever did. He scored a raker against Killie and from that point, there was some hope we could do something and get a draw. He pops up again the following week and nets another.

The problem with Hibs right now is **** all to do with Riordan and what he does or does not do. The problem with Hibs right now is not down to Calderwood either. The problem is, our "squad" of "players" are the loosest incarnation of what you could remotely call a team for many a bad year........one man doth not maketh a team - correct - without (this) one man i.e. Deek, this team would be even MORE ****ed than we are. :agree:

ENDOF

Dirkster23
28-12-2010, 07:12 PM
In the long term, of course we can recover from losing him, but in the short/medium term, I don't believe we can cope with losing Derek Riordan. He is not only our top goalscorer, he is our only goalscorer and losing him next month would turn the threat of relegation into an inevitability, rather than just a distinct possibility.

So there's no chance that CC could use the reported fee of £250k to bring in a couple of players that might strengthen the team or maybe sign a player like Adam Rooney to provide goals :dunno:

PaulSmith
28-12-2010, 07:18 PM
So there's no chance that CC could use the reported fee of £250k to bring in a couple of players that might strengthen the team or maybe sign a player like Adam Rooney to provide goals :dunno:

Would it be wrong to think that the club our size should look to keep Riordan (our best player) and complement the 1st team by signing the best player from one of our rivals.

Bad Martini
28-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Would it be wrong to think that the club our size should look to keep Riordan (our best player) and complement the 1st team by signing the best player from one of our rivals.

Madness mate...we should sell sell sell, get rid of this goalscoring, assist making menance that is Riordan and bring in 3 top quality players with the £250k or less we get for him. Ye MISSED the point man :greengrin

Or, we could be aspiring as you suggest, particularly given our current financial stature :agree:

Dirkster23
28-12-2010, 07:30 PM

We should make every effort to keep Riordan, there's no doubt about that. If he's asking for Hibs to pay the kind of money he could get in the Championship or Turkey then i doubt we'll be make him an offer.

PC Stamp
28-12-2010, 07:31 PM

Yup. Zouma is a fantastic player on his day but one who is prone to drifting in and out of games when it suits. Talented and highly gifted but his workrate is questionable on many occasions. Yet when he is on his game he's the sort that people will come to watch.

A bit like a certain individual you seem to enjoy taking a pop at but without the 100 goals for Hibs in his locker? :hmmm:

hibsbollah
28-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Me neither, but i'd put money on him wanting much more than we can afford.

You might be right. Personally I think he's more likely to want to leave because of the way we're playing and the possibility of relegation than money.

matty_f
28-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Riordan has scored more than anyone else, many of which NOBODY else could actually score....

Riordan continues to set-up more goals than most could dream...

Remind me again why we have a huge number of people who seem to think Hibs without (arguably, though not much arguing needed when the facts and your eyes are used) our best player would be better?????

Maybe DeGraff will start banging in some of those sitters he's missed? Big Nishy will start battering in anything he's missed, Rankin will start spraying 20 yard passes and such like???

Get real folks...we NEED Riordan more now, than we ever did. He scored a raker against Killie and from that point, there was some hope we could do something and get a draw. He pops up again the following week and nets another.

The problem with Hibs right now is **** all to do with Riordan and what he does or does not do. The problem with Hibs right now is not down to Calderwood either. The problem is, our "squad" of "players" are the loosest incarnation of what you could remotely call a team for many a bad year........one man doth not maketh a team - correct - without (this) one man i.e. Deek, this team would be even MORE ****ed than we are. :agree:

ENDOF

Agree in general with the point you're making, but we've scored 12 league goals this season, I think most players dream about setting up more than 4 or 5 goals, to be honest.:greengrin

Sir David Gray
28-12-2010, 07:56 PM

Riordan would be likely to score about 10 goals between January-May. So in order to strengthen the side on the back of Riordan's departure, who do you think Hibs could sign that would provide 15-20 goals between now and the end of the season?

matty_f
28-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Riordan would be likely to score about 10 goals between January-May. So in order to strengthen the side on the back of Riordan's departure, who do you think Hibs could sign that would provide 15-20 goals between now and the end of the season?

Riordan is 6th in the SPL goalscorers table at this point in the season. Ahead of him are the strikers at Killie, ICT, and Motherwell. He's not irreplaceable.

I would rather Riordan stayed, he's a cracking player and Hibs is the right club for him. WHether or not he wants to stay is another matter entirely.

francobaresi
28-12-2010, 08:27 PM
If he is off then good luck to him, I know what I'd be doing in his boots, you're only young once.... Where's ma passport & suntan lotion:wink:

Dirkster23
28-12-2010, 08:31 PM

How many goals will Duffy score between now and the end of the season? Rooney's scored more goals than Derek so far this season, maybe he'd score another 11 goals? Our only creative midfielders coming back from injury, maybe he'll chip in :dunno:

I'll be delighted if Riordan agrees a new contract with the Club. If this Turkish team put in a bid and he wants to leave in January what do you think we should do?

down-the-slope
28-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I didn't notice any injury. He did go over to the touchline and get a new pair of studs in the first 10 minutes.

He did get injured..looked like knee...made a horlicks of an attempted tackle got injured and gave away a free kick in the process..

You are right about the boots...how players can be out on the pitch for half an hour befotre hand and still manage to start with the wrong studs / blades etc is beyond me :rolleyes:

muirhousehibby
28-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Everyone keeps mentioning Adam Rooney hibs will not pay that sort of money ICT would want for him. And i'm sure ICT would not sell him to us anyway.

Hibs pay less than some of the League 1 teams thats were the problem lies.

Sammy7nil
28-12-2010, 08:45 PM
If we Let Deek go for the sake of £1K - £2K a week then I dont think I will renew my season Ticket (had one for as long as I can recall).

Deek and Zemmama are the ONLY two players worth watching at ER yes both are replaceable but who with?

Talent should rewarded, letting Riordan go if we can afford to keep him by cutting costs with less gifted players wages would be HUGE MISTAKE.

E.R. is now big enough that No One needs to buy a season ticket in order to sit with their mates and if Deek is punted MANY will pick and choose the games they go to if tet go at all.

Pedantic_Hibee
28-12-2010, 08:52 PM
What is it gonna take for a manager to get ten players on the park who run around and do all the basics and then say to Deeks 'go where you want, son, play where you want, just put yourself in positions where you can do some damage'?

We cannot afford to lose someone of his undoubted quality.

As for Liam Miller, f*****g meh. I've got an iPad, it looks great, it's been hyped up beyond belief, it looks flashy and sleek but when you analyse it closely, it's pretty limited and basic and under-performs on a regular basis. Plus, in a 50v50 challenge, I'd maul the over-priced gizmo every single time.

muirhousehibby
28-12-2010, 08:53 PM
If we Let Deek go for the sake of £1K - £2K a week then I dont think I will renew my season Ticket (had one for as long as I can recall).

Deek and Zemmama are the ONLY two players worth watching at ER yes both are replaceable but who with?

Talent should rewarded, letting Riordan go if we can afford to keep him by cutting costs with less gifted players wages would be HUGE MISTAKE.

E.R. is now big enough that No One needs to buy a season ticket in order to sit with their mates and if Deek is punted MANY will pick and choose the games they go to if tet go at all.

totaly agree with you. BUT if deek was 2 get that 1-2K more others around the club would also want it.

selling for 250.000 you'd never replace him for that amount. i'd keep him to help pull us out of this mess and let him walk away end of season. in the mean time try and get him on a new deal...:agree:

new malkyhib
28-12-2010, 08:55 PM

Good point, FH. We could replace him with Trakys, who's had two decent games since he signed for us, is more often than not unfit and unavailable for selection, and couldn't hit the target from 8 yards on Sunday...

If Petrie wants to retain any shred of credibility, he has to spurn any bid for Riordan in January, and better still sanction £500k on 3 players, a centre forward for Riordan to play off of, and a wide man to get the ball into the box for them.

He's sanctioned going into debt big-time for the infastructure, he now HAS to take a punt on the team - we'll lose more than £500k playing in front of First Division crowds in a white elephant of a stadium.

Sir David Gray
28-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Riordan is 6th in the SPL goalscorers table at this point in the season. Ahead of him are the strikers at Killie, ICT, and Motherwell. He's not irreplaceable.

I would rather Riordan stayed, he's a cracking player and Hibs is the right club for him. WHether or not he wants to stay is another matter entirely.

I like to look at the bigger picture, rather than just state how many goals someone has after four and a bit months.

In only one season, out of the five full seasons that Derek Riordan has played with Hibs, since 03/04, has he failed to score at least 15 goals.

Sammon, Blackman and Rooney are all having good seasons, but up until this season, they haven't really done much in the way of scoring goals. OK, Rooney did quite well last season with Inverness but that was at a lower level.

I would quite like to see any of those three players at Hibs but I'd like to see them complimenting Riordan, not instead of him.

silverhibee
28-12-2010, 09:05 PM
:top marks Getting rid of Stokes about 2 mins before the transfer window closed was a stroke of genius which would only topped by letting Deek go during this window.

CC should be looking to bring in someone on loan to help Riordan out up front if he thinks Duffy isn't up to the job.

Hibs had to get rid of Stokes, just like celtc will at the first opportunity.

matty_f
28-12-2010, 09:07 PM
I like to look at the bigger picture, rather than just state how many goals someone has after four and a bit months.

In only one season, out of the five full seasons that Derek Riordan has played with Hibs, since 03/04, has he failed to score at least 15 goals.

Sammon, Blackman and Rooney are all having good seasons, but up until this season, they haven't really done much in the way of scoring goals. OK, Rooney did quite well last season with Inverness but that was at a lower level.

I would quite like to see any of those three players at Hibs but I'd like to see them complimenting Riordan, not instead of him.

Your point was about how many goals Riordan would score between January and May.:confused:

We'd all like Riordan to stay, I'm sure, but it is possible to lose him and come out a better team, IMHO, providing his replacement fulfilled a particular role effectively.

Sir David Gray
28-12-2010, 09:09 PM
How many goals will Duffy score between now and the end of the season? Rooney's scored more goals than Derek so far this season, maybe he'd score another 11 goals? Our only creative midfielders coming back from injury, maybe he'll chip in :dunno:

I'll be delighted if Riordan agrees a new contract with the Club. If this Turkish team put in a bid and he wants to leave in January what do you think we should do?

I would tell him to sit tight until May, help keep his beloved team in the SPL and then he can go.

Say we get £250,000 for him next month. We would lose much more than that if we go down, through reduced season ticket sales, reduced gate receipts from away fans (no Rangers, Celtic or Hearts games), no TV money etc, etc, etc.

Selling him in January is not worth it.

seanshow
28-12-2010, 09:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdwzbEe_6s4

He shouldn't be allowed to leave under any circumstance imo

Dirkster23
28-12-2010, 09:19 PM
I would tell him to sit tight until May, help keep his beloved team in the SPL and then he can go.

Say we get £250,000 for him next month. We would lose much more than that if we go down, through reduced season ticket sales, reduced gate receipts from away fans (no Rangers, Celtic or Hearts games), no TV money etc, etc, etc.

Selling him in January is not worth it.

Your right, we could lose a lot more if we go down.

If an offer comes in and he wants to leave in the window it might not be as easy as telling him to sit tight. The Turks could move their attention to another player or Derek might pick up a serious injury. We all know where the power lies when a player wants away.

Hibercelona
28-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Riordan set to leave...

Another master stroke from Hibernian FC. :applause:

I'm cracking up!! :timebomb:

Sir David Gray
28-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Your point was about how many goals Riordan would score between January and May.:confused:

We'd all like Riordan to stay, I'm sure, but it is possible to lose him and come out a better team, IMHO, providing his replacement fulfilled a particular role effectively.

Yes it was but if we're going to sell Riordan in January and get in Blackman, Rooney or Sammon, they're going to be with us for the next 2-3 years at least. Over that period of time, I don't believe they would give us as many goals as Derek Riordan.

Riordan's proved season after season that he can score goals at this level. These other guys have yet to do that and with the way things are at the moment, I don't fancy taking that risk.

Anyway Blackman's on loan at Motherwell from Blackburn so he'll likely be going back there in February.

matty_f
28-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Riordan set to leave...

Another master stroke from Hibernian FC. :applause:

I'm cracking up!! :timebomb:

It's hardly Hibs' fault if Riordan decides his future lies elsewhere.:confused:

bingo70
28-12-2010, 09:35 PM

we would decide if he's sold in the january window though.

Said in the PM forum that i could handle it if he left in the summer but i think considering our situation just now it'd be crazy to sell him just now, regardless of what the offer is, it won't be enough to compensate us for potentially being relegated.

The Harp Awakes
28-12-2010, 09:36 PM
If Hibs are not doing everything possible to extend Deeks contract then you really have to worry as to what the hell is going on at the Club.

In footballing terms at 27, he is at the peak of his career and is only 2 goals away from being the 3rd top SPL goalscorer of all time behind Kris Boyd and Henrik Larsson.

If Deek is allowed to go and Hogg and Rankin as some are suggesting, are offered new contracts, RP will be committing football suicide.

bingo70
28-12-2010, 09:40 PM
If Hibs are not doing everything possible to extend Deeks contract then you really have to worry as to what the hell is going on at the Club.

In footballing terms at 27, he is at the peak of his career and is only 2 goals away from being the 3rd top SPL goalscorer of all time behind Kris Boyd and Henrik Larsson.

If Deek is allowed to go and Hogg and Rankin as some are suggesting, are offered new contracts, RP will be committing football suicide.

How do you know they aren't?

If he leaves in the summer it'll be because he'll have been offered more than hibs could afford and if it is to the championship or Turkey it won't be pennies either it'll be a considerable amount that hibs couldnt come close too.

If we break the bank to keep him cutbacks will have to be made which will mean the rest of the squad will be of the equivalent to the likes of Hogg and Rankin, are you sure you really want that just to keep Deeks?

Hibercelona
28-12-2010, 09:43 PM

If Riordan goes elsewhere, you can be sure that it will be down to the club.

Riordan wouldn't leave unless the offer was poor.

bingo70
28-12-2010, 09:47 PM

Nonsense IMO.

Are you really suggesting if hibs offer him say around £4k a week but was then offered around £10k p/week elsewhere he'd turn that down to stay with us :confused:

Judas Iscariot
28-12-2010, 09:50 PM

So what exactly is a "good" offer and a "poor" offer...

Sammy7nil
28-12-2010, 10:05 PM
When Deeks gets a Hat trick tomorrow this thread will reach calender signing proportions :greengrin

col02
28-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Say for arguments sake Hibs did not have a wage cap whereby they said to Riordan you have your existing wage plus for arguments sake say Hogg and Millers wages would this be feasible or would it see too much a divide created between the average wage earners and Riordan? Given Riordan does not have a sell on value of much note but is pretty much invaluable to Hibs how far would it be realistic to push the boat out? The lad is a bit of an enigma as some matches he does next to **** all but boy can he score some top notch goals out of nothing!

Also worth adding my own view that even if he does leave to safeguard financial security that it will not be the last time he is seen in a Hibs shirt imho! A couple years away and he will be back at ER of that I am pretty confident!

green&left
28-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Unbeliveable that we are talking about losing Derek for what may be a grand or two a week, at the same time when our board are paying themselves half a million pound per season.

Offer him his current wage, plus Rankin or Hogg or Nish's wage on top (and get them to ****) plus a wee tidy signing on fee from the Stokes money.

Losing Riordan on a free to me shows a serious lack of ambition from the board.

18/03/07
28-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Hibs had to get rid of Stokes, just like celtc will at the first opportunity.
Thats what I heard as well about the above points

Captain Trips
28-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Riordan one of the only bright spots about Hibs at this moment, if sold then firstly we need a manager who has the experience of building a team with basically no quality that IMO is what will be left, selling Riordan would be a grave error.

scoopyboy
28-12-2010, 10:53 PM

If Riordan goes elsewhere it will be down to him not the club as you put it.

At his age and a young family his next contract is the most important he will ever sign.

You cannot expect him to stay at ER for say £5000 per week when he could double or possibly even treble that elsewhere. Being loyal to Hibs is one thing but he has to look after his own future.

I would love to see him stay for the rest of his career but if Deek wants to go then he does so with my best wishes.

I could see the point of people mumping about him leaving if he made it commom knowledge that he wanted to stay and Hibs wouldn't give him a contract, but that is not the case.

Sammy7nil
28-12-2010, 10:56 PM

At his age and a young family his next contract is the most important he will ever sign.

You cannot expect him to stay at ER for say £5000 per week when he could double or possibly even treble that elsewhere. Being loyal to Hibs is one thing but he has to look after his own future.

I would love to see him stay for the rest of his career but if Deek wants to go then he does so with my best wishes.

I could see the point of people mumping about him leaving if he made it commom knowledge that he wanted to stay and Hibs wouldn't give him a contract, but that is not the case.

WindyMiller
28-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Everyone keeps mentioning Adam Rooney hibs will not pay that sort of money ICT would want for him. And i'm sure ICT would not sell him to us anyway.

Hibs pay less than some of the League 1 teams thats were the problem lies.

Pish!

Sammy7nil
28-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Pish!

He Means English League one and that is a Fact :rolleyes:

Franck is God
28-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Yup. Zouma is a fantastic player on his day but one who is prone to drifting in and out of games when it suits. Talented and highly gifted but his workrate is questionable on many occasions. Yet when he is on his game he's the sort that people will come to watch.

A bit like a certain individual you seem to enjoy taking a pop at but without the 100 goals for Hibs in his locker? :hmmm:

And if he isn't doing it in a game then he should be subbed/dropped for the next one.

Too much sentiment at our club surrounding players, if they're not good enough they shouldn't play and I couldn't care less who they are and what they've done in the past.

Current performances should be the only bearing on whether a player is picked or not, I have my favourites just like everyone else but if they are not performing then they have to be dropped.

Sammy7nil
28-12-2010, 11:32 PM
And if he isn't doing it in a game then he should be subbed/dropped for the next one.

Too much sentiment at our club surrounding players, if they're not good enough they shouldn't play and I couldn't care less who they are and what they've done in the past.

Current performances should be the only bearing on whether a player is picked or not, I have my favourites just like everyone else but if they are not performing then they have to be dropped.

We would not have 11 players to choose from :confused: Yes they are that bad

PC Stamp
28-12-2010, 11:38 PM

And that's down to the manager however as opposed to you or me.
I'd suggest that with 5 goals in his last 4 games, Calderwood thinks a little differently about the worth of Riordan's performances than you do?

Franck is God
28-12-2010, 11:41 PM
He Means English League one and that is a Fact :rolleyes:

I would think that there will be a few league one sides in England that have an average wage for their first team that is higher than ours but their income from attendances, sponsorship, hospitality and TV money will be higher too.

If we want to pay our players more and spend more bringing them in them I'm afraid more than 10k need to be turning up every week.

There are now so many players available in every transfer window quite a number are going to have to be realistic with their wage demands and some will have to accept less than they might have done a few years ago. In fact someone like Riordan may have to think seriously about any offer Hibs make to him, he may well be able to get more money somewhere else but it might not be in the UK and he'll have to decide what the extra money is worth to him.

snooky
28-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Riordan one of the only bright spots about Hibs at this moment, if sold then firstly we need a manager who has the experience of building a team with basically no quality that IMO is what will be left, selling Riordan would be a grave error.

When Paddy and Rocky were moved on I stopped going to ER for years, I was that disenchanted.
Alas, history looks like repeating itself - of a sorts. :rolleyes:

Franck is God
28-12-2010, 11:56 PM
And that's down to the manager however as opposed to you or me.
I'd suggest that with 5 goals in his last 4 games, Calderwood thinks a little differently about the worth of Riordan's performances than you do?

Very true, his recent scoring record is excellent and long may it continue. Its conceding poor goals that have cost us points as they have done all season.

I hesitantly watched the highlights package on the BBC website and it wasn't as bad as I remember it being at the game. We actually had a number of very good chances and if it hadn't been for a couple of dreadful bits of defending from Hogg and a terrible clearance from Rankin we might have been ok. The two we conceded at Killie were just as bad and again we had a few very good chances against them too.

I don't even know who I'd pick anymore.

muirhousehibby
29-12-2010, 12:00 AM
I would think that there will be a few league one sides in England that have an average wage for their first team that is higher than ours but their income from attendances, sponsorship, hospitality and TV money will be higher too.

If we want to pay our players more and spend more bringing them in them I'm afraid more than 10k need to be turning up every week.

There are now so many players available in every transfer window quite a number are going to have to be realistic with their wage demands and some will have to accept less than they might have done a few years ago. In fact someone like Riordan may have to think seriously about any offer Hibs make to him, he may well be able to get more money somewhere else but it might not be in the UK and he'll have to decide what the extra money is worth to him.

This is normally were we do our shopping Stokes,Miller,Brown etc unable to hold down for a 1st team place. Then we sell them on and sometimes make money and it's always going to be that way unless we pay big bucks in wages.

Every club wants to pay top dollar for wages and sign the best around, for hundreds of clubs thats a dream and were one of them.

monktonharp
29-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Like him or loathe him Riordan is the only player of any genuine quality at Easter Road at the moment . Given our current predicament selling him now would be madness and the final straw for many, myself included.:agree:selling him anytime,without trying very hard to keep him for the rest of his playing years would be sacralidge imho. never had a player to match his magic in years. what player have we had ,that can turn a game so much in our favour,over the last 15/20 years? not many.if we had a half decent partner up front with him,we'd have a wee chance of winning games against the likes o' Hamilton,ICT,killie,the filth,etc. Deeks must stay. 250k? well deduct 405 quid of that straight away Rod.

monktonharp
29-12-2010, 12:41 AM

I could see the point of people mumping about him leaving if he made it commom knowledge that he wanted to stay and Hibs wouldn't give him a contract, but that is not the case.c'mon then scoopy,oot wi' it.you ken somethin' we dinnae? listen,dizzens on here will be mair than pissed of if HFC dont make a serious genuine attempt to retain the services of DEREK RIORDAN, not just some player that's had a couple of decent seasons or always wanted to his boyhood team , or whatever.

eastmainsmsh
29-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Derek Imo made the wrong move going to Celtic felt he had talent to make it big in england :agree:

I want him to stay as we all do :flag:

He is class maybe with having a family now he wants to have another crack at the bigtime and situation we are in just now few could blame him hope petrie has sense to realise he must stay and offer him a incentive to stay if petrie cant do this then he is as good as telling us that there is no ambition to progress forward

steakbake
29-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Its straight-forward. HFC can't possibly afford the kind of wages offered outside the SPL.

Any English championship team can comfortably out pay us several times over. Even some in Division 1 could (for example).

Riordan is entitled to try to cash in on the last few years of his playing career. Its a losing battle to think hibs can afford that.

It has nothing to do with ambition or lack thereof and everything to do with financial reality.

hibiedude
29-12-2010, 08:18 AM

This best post by a mile on this topic :top marks

Hainan Hibs
29-12-2010, 08:58 AM
If Petrie was looking at the financial books he would take the £250,000.

I think it is wise to remember Riordan's previous departure, when he was happy enough to leave two days after his 24th birthday so Hibs got SFA. Treating the club, that gave him his chance, like that is piss poor and it makes me cringe everytime I see "legend" used to describe Riordan.

With his track record I'd be very happy with £250,000.

:whistle::Awright!:

scoopyboy
29-12-2010, 09:22 AM
c'mon then scoopy,oot wi' it.you ken somethin' we dinnae? listen,dizzens on here will be mair than pissed of if HFC dont make a serious genuine attempt to retain the services of DEREK RIORDAN, not just some player that's had a couple of decent seasons or always wanted to his boyhood team , or whatever.

Nothing concrete mate.

Just reading inbetween the lines nothing more.

I would reckon Deek would probably stay if Hibs matched the best offer that will come his way, but that would IMO be very unlikely going by money on offer down south and abroad.

Again IMO Deek knows he is leaving and Hibs know he is leaving but neither have chosen to publicise the fact, hence the silence.

snooky
29-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Nothing concrete mate.

I would reckon Deek would probably stay if Hibs matched the best offer that will come his way, but that would IMO be very unlikely going by money on offer down south and abroad.

Again IMO Deek knows he is leaving and Hibs know he is leaving but neither have chosen to publicise the fact, hence the silence.

:agree: That's how I'm reading it, unfortunately.

Jim44
29-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Nothing concrete mate.

Calderwood has covered his own back by saying he would like Riordan to stay, so, when he goes, we will know it's Petrie's decision. Who knows, Petrie might have primed Calderwood to say that to prevent him getting a slagging when the inevitable happens. :dunno:

HFC 0-7
29-12-2010, 10:54 AM
If Petrie was looking at the financial books he would take the £250,000.

I think it is wise to remember Riordan's previous departure, when he was happy enough to leave two days after his 24th birthday so Hibs got SFA. Treating the club, that gave him his chance, like that is piss poor and it makes me cringe everytime I see "legend" used to describe Riordan.

With his track record I'd be very happy with £250,000.

:whistle::Awright!:

250K, would that offset the cost of relegation? I would say that a cost of 250K would be good business to try and stop relegation.

Right now Riordan is basically creating and getting goals from nothing, there is no other strikers out there that we can get that will do the same. Letting Riordan go in January with our position in the league and the team as bad as it is could be the reason we get relegated.

Billy Whizz
29-12-2010, 11:04 AM
If he wants to go and earn one last pay day before he gets older, that's fair enough. Hibs can only pay what they can afford. I'm sure everyone will agree with that!

However Mr Riordan, please don't keep kissing the badge if you score. Don't treat the Hibs supporters with disrespect!

Judas Iscariot
29-12-2010, 11:10 AM
If he wants to go and earn one last pay day before he gets older, that's fair enough. Hibs can only pay what they can afford. I'm sure everyone will agree with that!

However Mr Riordan, please don't keep kissing the badge if you score. Don't treat the Hibs supporters with disrespect!

In what way is he being disrespectful :confused:

mcfly
29-12-2010, 11:10 AM
look the fact of the matter is - spend money in jan window or we face relegation.

it is simple - this bunch of players arent good enough so show them the door so morale isnt affected.

half season tickets sales must be dreadful

Billy Whizz
29-12-2010, 11:13 AM
In what way is he being disrespectful :confused:

You can't on one hand look for one last pay day and in the other expect Hibs fans to worship him. If he goes it will be the 2nd time he's left Hibs for money!

allezsauzee
29-12-2010, 11:14 AM

Why is he treating us with a lack of respect if he's kissing the badge? I think it's pretty obvious how he feels about Hibs and given that we seem to have done hee haw about offering him a contract to stay at the club beyond the summer and seem to be showing little ambition in general, I don't think we could have any complaint if he decides to plump for taking one last big payday to secure his and his family's future....it doesn't mean he doesn't love Hibs.

Hibbyradge
29-12-2010, 11:22 AM
You might be right. Personally I think he's more likely to want to leave because of the way we're playing and the possibility of relegation than money.

Why did he leave last time? :dunno:

Billy Whizz
29-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Why is he treating us with a lack of respect if he's kissing the badge? I think it's pretty obvious how he feels about Hibs and given that we seem to have done hee haw about offering him a contract to stay at the club beyond the summer and seem to be showing little ambition in general, I don't think we could have any complaint if he decides to plump for taking one last big payday to secure his and his family's future....it doesn't mean he doesn't love Hibs.

Are you honestly trying to tell me Hibs have had no conversations with his agent about his contract? Probably more like McArthur ( still his agent?) asking for a ridiculous contract and Hibs not entertaining it!

3pm
29-12-2010, 11:29 AM
We did cope when he left the first time. And better players than Derek Riordan have left over the years and we have coped.

However, if he left this time it may be a bit harder to accept than normal. He's class and the only one who uses his talent effectively.

TornadoHibby
29-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Are you honestly trying to tell me Hibs have had no conversations with his agent about his contract? Probably more like McArthur ( still his agent?) asking for a ridiculous contract and Hibs not entertaining it!

Wow, that's a pretty damning statement about what Derek might be doing with regard to "contract negotiaitions" with Hibs through his agent!

Do you know any of these people well enough to make these statements/comments with any degree of authority or are you simply postulating a theory here?

s.a.m
29-12-2010, 11:34 AM
We did cope when he left the first time. And better players than Derek Riordan have left over the years and we have coped.

However, if he left this time it may be a bit harder to accept than normal. He's class and the only one who uses his talent effectively.

And the last time, we weren't in the mess that we are just now

Billy Whizz
29-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Wow, that's a pretty damning statement about what Derek might be doing with regard to "contract negotiaitions" with Hibs through his agent!

Do you know any of these people well enough to make these statements/comments with any degree of authority or are you simply postulating a theory here?

I replied to the op who suggested that Hibs had done "hee haw" about his contract. Do you think there might be a reason for this?

Judas Iscariot
29-12-2010, 11:44 AM
You can't on one hand look for one last pay day and in the other expect Hibs fans to worship him. If he goes it will be the 2nd time he's left Hibs for money!

So he should stay and get paid 60% less than what he could earn elsewhere?!

Hibbyradge
29-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Calderwood has covered his own back by saying he would like Riordan to stay, so, when he goes, we will know it's Petrie's decision. Who knows, Petrie might have primed Calderwood to say that to prevent him getting a slagging when the inevitable happens. :dunno:

It won't be Petrie decision, nor Calderwood's.

It will be Derek Riordan's.

I've just accepted a job offer from a new company and I'm due to start with them on 31 Jan. My current employer would prefer that I stay, but the new place offers me a different challenge, the environment will be different (better?) and they're giving me more money.

Whose fault is it that I'm leaving?

TornadoHibby
29-12-2010, 12:00 PM

I replied to the op who suggested that Hibs had done "hee haw" about his contract. Do you think there might be a reason for this?

What about answering the first question I posed then telling us how you "know" that "Hibs had done "hee haw" about his contract"?

Very easy to find fault, that's why there are so many critics! Much more interesting and challenging to support suggestions that you somehow "know" what is going on with regard to Derek's contract! :wink:

H18sry
29-12-2010, 12:01 PM

I've just accepted a job offer from a new company and I'm due to start with them on 31 Jan. My current employer would prefer that I stay, but the new place offers me a different challenge, the environment will be different (better?) and they're giving me more money.

JUDAS :wink:

son of haggart
29-12-2010, 12:09 PM

Clearly your current company's fault..

If they valued you enough they would be paying you better

(or maybe the new company's paying you more than you're worth :devil:)

Beefster
29-12-2010, 12:22 PM
So he should stay and get paid 60% less than what he could earn elsewhere?!

Using that logic, we can't criticise Caldwell, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Killen, Stokes, Agathe, Laursen, Jackson or any other player who has (or will) leave for the Old Firm (or Hearts).

Keith_M
29-12-2010, 01:49 PM

Money grabbin Barsteward!

:wink:

silverhibee
29-12-2010, 02:30 PM

He is a Hibs supporter, why is he showing disrespect.

Judas Iscariot
29-12-2010, 02:48 PM
He is a Hibs supporter, why is he showing disrespect.

I asked that earlier..

Never really got a decent explanation behind the harsh statement..

allezsauzee
29-12-2010, 03:12 PM

I said Hibs SEEM to have made hee haw effort to keep him. Whether he stays or goes, this should have been addressed way before now

The_Todd
29-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Derek probably has one last shot at making a bigger name for himself, and let's be honest who would blame him for taking it (if he does)? His talent is wasted at the moment at Hibs given the substandard tosh he's surrounded with and unless we get some better qualilty in he probably would rather be elsewhere.

If he goes, he goes having provided us with many good memories over two spells.

hibsbollah
29-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Why did he leave last time? :dunno:

Why do you keep asking me questions no-one knows the answer to? :dunno:

JimBHibees
29-12-2010, 04:14 PM
If Derek wants to leave and ply his trade elsewhere for more money and maybe a different challenge in a more technical league which may suit him better good on him however I just hope we dont have to go through months of the same spin and nonsense as last time.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-12-2010, 04:31 PM

Maybe he caught Deeks in bed with his wife!

Hibbyradge
29-12-2010, 04:38 PM

Why do you keep asking me questions no-one knows the answer to? :dunno:

Well, although no-one knows, you guessed what his reasons might be if he leaves this time.

I just thought you might want to guess why he left last time too. :dunno:

hibsbollah
29-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Well, although no-one knows, you guessed what his reasons might be if he leaves this time.

I just thought you might want to guess why he left last time too. :dunno:

No, I have no idea. Do you know?

Hibbyradge
29-12-2010, 04:45 PM
No, I have no idea. Do you know?

My guess would be money.

Same as last time.

These debates do lose something over the course of a few hours! :greengrin

hibees59
30-12-2010, 06:53 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9328411.stm

blackpoolhibs
30-12-2010, 06:58 PM
I said Hibs SEEM to have made hee haw effort to keep him. Whether he stays or goes, this should have been addressed way before now

But Calderwood says that contract talks are progressing satisfactorily.

northgreen24
30-12-2010, 07:31 PM
I really like the way CC is speaking about the situation seems to me that we will know one way or another by the end of january, I know some have more inside info but the only point i would like to make is ok he might get 10k a week somewhere else however think on this, that contract might only last a couple of years and he could be in the reserves in the championship so money isnt everything,

on the other side he could sign a 5 year deal with hibs for half the money but the knowldege that he will be in the team most weeks.

If he leaves this time he will never get back IMHO

IWasThere2016
30-12-2010, 07:41 PM
But Calderwood says that contract talks are progressing satisfactorily.

He implies he's doing the talks .. Where's Rodders? :dunno: Nae mention of Jim McArthur either.

Is CC doing the negs now?

WindyMiller
30-12-2010, 07:50 PM
He implies he's doing the talks .. Where's Rodders? :dunno: Nae mention of Jim McArthur either.

Is CC doing the negs now?

If you choose to read it that way.

IWasThere2016
30-12-2010, 07:57 PM
If you choose to read it that way.

You read it differently then?

WindyMiller
30-12-2010, 08:08 PM
You read it differently then?

"I'm hopeful he'll stay. I've sat down with Derek and I'm very happy where we are with the situation and we'll see what happens in January"
is the only sentnce where he uses "I".
In every other sentence he uses we.
He never states that he's talking "money" with Deeks.

IWasThere2016
30-12-2010, 08:14 PM
"I'm hopeful he'll stay. I've sat down with Derek and I'm very happy where we are with the situation and we'll see what happens in January"
is the only sentnce where he uses "I".
In every other sentence he uses we.
He never states that he's talking "money" with Deeks.

Ok - and I've said elsewhere I'm no sure it matters what CC says on the matter as there needs to be an offer to the player, and that'll no happen without RP's involvement/say so.

WindyMiller
30-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Ok - and I've said elsewhere I'm no sure it matters what CC says on the matter as there needs to be an offer to the player, and that'll no happen without RP's involvement/say so.

:aok: 100%. :agree:

And if the player doesn't think the offer is enough he will be free to go elsewhere.

So, good luck to the lad, but hopefully no-one will be claiming he's been pushed out.:rolleyes:

stoneyburn hibs
30-12-2010, 09:42 PM
:aok: 100%. :agree:

And if the player doesn't think the offer is enough he will be free to go elsewhere.

So, good luck to the lad, but hopefully no-one will be claiming he's been pushed out.:rolleyes:

excellent if he stays, but if he goes wherever for more dosh, can only wish him all the best

Bostonhibby
30-12-2010, 10:05 PM

Maka's gone and Nish hasn't played much recently so I am guessing it's probably Rankin's or maybe the Tash baulked at how much money is involved?

tooley
30-12-2010, 10:25 PM

:thumbsup::agree:

GreenCastle
31-12-2010, 11:14 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Colin-Calderwood-prepared-to-lose.6675760.jp

Good timing with the derby tomorrow ? :confused:

eastmainsmsh
31-12-2010, 11:19 AM
I reckon Mowbray might make Deek an offer to go to boro Maybe

HIBERNIAN-0762
31-12-2010, 11:19 AM
A massive show of support for Deek is required against the slime at slimecastle and just show this stupid penny pinching board what the score is with him, pathetic comments from CC on the eve of a derby

FFS! :confused:

Betty Boop
31-12-2010, 11:22 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Colin-Calderwood-prepared-to-lose.6675760.jp

Why would you wait to sign up your best player, and who are the players more important than Deek ? :confused:

Saorsa
31-12-2010, 11:24 AM
There are others who will see action taken quickerIn that squad there are others that need tae be dealt with before Riordan? :bitchy: I'd like to know who they are, have we been hiding them away somewhere? It's not anybody I've seen playing.

J-C
31-12-2010, 11:26 AM
I don't know if this is just bad reporting from 2 sister papers but surely 1 saying that talks are going well and hopeful of keeping then the other saying talks put on hold till the summer, all sounds like BS to me. I don't know if the Scotsman has suddenly turned into a Jambo paper concidering the headline from a couple of days ago.

GreenCastle
31-12-2010, 11:26 AM
To me it sounds like we will sign up who we can then the rest of the money will be offered to Deek.

If it matches his new offer then he may sign if not then we aren't going to offer any more.

Unusually teams start with their best players and say we will build a team around you - your our top earner - now we have to find players to fit around you.

Carheenlea
31-12-2010, 11:35 AM

This is absolutely diabolical PR from Hibs on the eve of a derby. If Riordan is not to be even offered a contract until the rest of the dross is signed up, then I'd rather Calderwood just left as of now before it's too late.

Sir David Gray
31-12-2010, 11:38 AM

That is one seriously weird article.

There are only four players that I would be even remotely interested in tying down on a new contract and Derek Riordan is number one (the others being Bamba, Miller and Zemmama).

I honestly don't see why the club can't sit down with Derek's representatives just now and tell them what is on offer, if they don't like that offer then try to come to a compromise and if that's not possible then tell everybody what the situation is and that he will be attempting to find another club.

I honestly don't understand why we're apparently waiting until the final weeks of his contract before doing anything.

Who else are we dealing with before Riordan? :confused:

eastmainsmsh
31-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Mind games for everyone maybe deal has been agreed in principle to stay but it depends on offloading some of the players whose deals are up:confused:

plus maybe start the bidding if he is leaving

hope deeko stays tho

lets stuff the yams

ggtth:flag:

Dalkeith
31-12-2010, 11:47 AM
I honestly don't understand why we're apparently waiting until the final weeks of his contract before doing anything.

Or maybe they already know there is no chance of him staying for whatever reason:confused:

Carheenlea
31-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Or maybe they already know there is no chance of him staying for whatever reason:confused:

Then why not say so?

Beefster
31-12-2010, 11:50 AM

There are only four players that I would be even remotely interested in tying down on a new contract and Derek Riordan is number one (the others being Bamba, Miller and Zemmama).

I honestly don't see why the club can't sit down with Derek's representatives just now and tell them what is on offer, if they don't like that offer then try to come to a compromise and if that's not possible then tell everybody what the situation is and that he will be attempting to find another club.

How do you know that Hibs haven't said to him "See what you can earn elsewhere and, if you'd rather stay at Hibs, we'll see what we can do to get near it"?

MrSmith
31-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Just indicative of the farce that surrounds Hibs. Here we go again...So, so sick of this and I sincerely hope he isn't talking about Hogg, Nish and Rankin! It will be the end of it for me. For sure!

Frazerbob
31-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Maybe everyone concerned is waiting to see which division we'll be playing in next season! :devil:

brog
31-12-2010, 12:00 PM
The timing & ambiguity of the article is unfortunate but perversely I'm quite encouraged by it, My reading is we'll wait until we see just what's in the pot after releasing/signing players & then hopefully make Deek an offer that will keep him at ER for life!

Tricla
31-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Does anyone think we are jumping the gun a bit here in assuming that we will be re-signing others before Deeks?

I think what CC means is that he will need to inform those who will be getting binned first and then we will know what we can offer Deeks.

He'll not want to state this yet to Deeks or the media as this would be unfair to those who are gettin binned.

Deek will know this too.

Tricla
31-12-2010, 12:08 PM
The timing & ambiguity of the article is unfortunate but perversely I'm quite encouraged by it, My reading is we'll wait until we see just what's in the pot after releasing/signing players & then hopefully make Deek an offer that will keep him at ER for life!

:agree:

FromTheCapital
31-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Doubt he'd go to Turkey but he's went to the Old Firm before.....

Bad News if it's true....

Derek Riordan...... :not worth

col02
31-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Signing Riordan at this precise moment would do what exactly apart from making sure we got a decent fee for him if sold? Way I see it Hibs will do everything they can to try and match the best offer Riordan gets but if it is silly money then it will be a no contest and in all honesty no matter what always would have been irrespective of timing! I trust Riordan to try his hardest from now till the end of the season beyond that it is a case of wait and see something I am quite happy to do.

Sir David Gray
31-12-2010, 12:20 PM
How do you know that Hibs haven't said to him "See what you can earn elsewhere and, if you'd rather stay at Hibs, we'll see what we can do to get near it"?

I don't see why Hibs would do that.

It's in Hibs' best interests to sign Derek Riordan up on a new contract and they would surely want to do that ASAP.

I can understand why Riordan would want to keep his options open but that's not what that article is suggesting.

GreenPJ
31-12-2010, 12:20 PM
If the club/manager want to keep him then I would expect them to start talking post Jan once they know what(if any) money they have brought in from sales of players/off-loading out of contract players earlier.

WindyMiller
31-12-2010, 12:25 PM

How does this fit in with your statement TQM?

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Colin-Calderwood-prepared-to-lose.6675760.jp

cockneymike
31-12-2010, 12:29 PM
does anybody think the conversation may have gone a bit like this?

CC: we'd like to keep you, how much you looking for?
DR: cool - not sure yet, what sort of offer can you make me?
CC: not really sure, you're already one of our top earners, maybe a bit more than you're on right now. How much will take to keep you?
DR: not sure yet, not had any firm offers, but my agent think's a decent wedge is in the offing.
CC: ok well come back once you've got an offer and we'll see if we can match it
DR: cool, will do

i can completely imagine that this would be how it goes. Not sure its great for us, as if a championship club comes in and offers to double his wages, we'd be stuffed i'd expect.

But you never know maybe we'll get lucky....

blackpoolhibs
31-12-2010, 12:37 PM
does anybody think the conversation may have gone a bit like this?

CC: we'd like to keep you, how much you looking for?
DR: cool - not sure yet, what sort of offer can you make me?
CC: not really sure, you're already one of our top earners, maybe a bit more than you're on right now. How much will take to keep you?
DR: not sure yet, not had any firm offers, but my agent think's a decent wedge is in the offing.
CC: ok well come back once you've got an offer and we'll see if we can match it
DR: cool, will do

i can completely imagine that this would be how it goes. Not sure its great for us, as if a championship club comes in and offers to double his wages, we'd be stuffed i'd expect.

But you never know maybe we'll get lucky....

I think anyone who thinks Hibs don't know what Riordan wants is kidding themselves.

hibiedude
31-12-2010, 12:42 PM
I think it’s inevitable that R01rdan will leave the club in the summer because any club right now can have him free on pre-contract

The club will then say we tried to keep him but HE wanted to leave

The facts are the club don’t have the same ambition as the fans and never have but they want us to fork out our hard earned money to watch this dross and watch as our best players being flogged.

When is this lot going to realise that we need a team that can play football that will then entice fans back to Easter road and then the revenue for the club will increase.
We have one of the best strikers in the SPL and we are prepared to lose him for nowt

GreenPJ
31-12-2010, 12:46 PM
I think anyone who thinks Hibs don't know what Riordan wants is kidding themselves.

Will this not depend on whether Derek has had offers or not or do you think he will be happy with a certain amount to stay at Hibs regardless of what others are offering?

fife hfc
31-12-2010, 12:50 PM
relegation is a serious possibility. If it does happen we will have to get rid of our higher earners and that includes Deek. So in these circumstances even though I would break the bank for him, the club can't until our future is decided.

bighairyfaeleith
31-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Makes sense to me

CC says he wants to deal with some other players first and DR knows why. I read this as, let me get rid of some pish, try and confirm some other salaries so i can come back to you with my best offer. However if someone comes into you first let us know and we'll try and compete.

Common sense from CC as far as I can see.

bighairyfaeleith
31-12-2010, 01:06 PM
I think it’s inevitable that R01rdan will leave the club in the summer because any club right now can have him free on pre-contract

The club will then say we tried to keep him but HE wanted to leave

The facts are the club don’t have the same ambition as the fans and never have but they want us to fork out our hard earned money to watch this dross and watch as our best players being flogged.

When is this lot going to realise that we need a team that can play football that will then entice fans back to Easter road and then the revenue for the club will increase.
We have one of the best strikers in the SPL and we are prepared to lose him for nowt

So the fact that we have outspent the rest of the spl (forgetting the OF and yams) for the last few years doesn't show ambition. The fact is that managers have bought a lot of pish and that needs to be dealt with before we can go spending again.

Or we could take the hearts route, but I'd rather not!!

lucky
31-12-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't think any of us really know whats going but one thing is sure there was no need to even answer questions on this at a press conference as its just caused more uncertainty. As for signing others up first, i find that baffling, with Riordan being the best and most important player at the club surely he should have been the N01 priority to get signed. However I do fear that RP is trying to reduce the wage bill as such the bigger earners will be sold or not offered a new contract on the same terms

hibiedude
31-12-2010, 01:45 PM
So the fact that we have outspent the rest of the spl (forgetting the OF and yams) for the last few years doesn't show ambition. The fact is that managers have bought a lot of pish and that needs to be dealt with before we can go spending again.

Or we could take the hearts route, but I'd rather not!!

Every club in the SPL over the last year have moved forward apart from us and we have more resources than most apart for the forces of darkness and Hearts.

So saying that why do we appear to be losing ground to the so-called weaker teams in this league?

Our priority is keep our best players is it not

snooky
31-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I don't think any of us really know whats going but one thing is sure there was no need to even answer questions on this at a press conference as its just caused more uncertainty. As for signing others up first, i find that baffling, with Riordan being the best and most important player at the club surely he should have been the N01 priority to get signed. However I do fear that RP is trying to reduce the wage bill as such the bigger earners will be sold or not offered a new contract on the same terms

My worry is that, from memory (which can be dodgy, BTW), RP doesn't have a good record track record with honouring contract offers. Didn't Deek get a raw deal when a contract was offered then later withdrawn, back in Mogga's early days? :hmmm:

FWIW, my take on CC's comment is that Hibs will offer DR 'x' amount if and when they offload a few surplus players.
Or scarily, maybe they've told him they'll offer him a new contract that's less than 'x' and it'll be on the table in the summer if he doesn't get a better offer elsewhere.

Either way, it's a gamble by Hibs and if that is the case & I was Deek, I'd be off.

Still hope he stays, like. :pray:

CRAZYHIBBY
31-12-2010, 01:53 PM
according to this article talks have taken place and Hibs want to keep him,

http://sport.virginmedia.com/football/article/2010/12/31/calderwood_keen_to_keep_riordan_1

snooky
31-12-2010, 02:03 PM
according to this article talks have taken place and Hibs want to keep him,

http://sport.virginmedia.com/football/article/2010/12/31/calderwood_keen_to_keep_riordan_1

Quote from the article...
"He's Hibernian through and through and he's got a real desire to make sure we get some nice results in the short term as well."

One way of interpretting this is ...
"Derek says he'll stay till the summer then he's offski" - thus delaying the bad PR till the closed season and also sparing Deek the 'Caldwell experience'.

bighairyfaeleith
31-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Every club in the SPL over the last year have moved forward apart from us and we have more resources than most apart for the forces of darkness and Hearts.

So saying that why do we appear to be losing ground to the so-called weaker teams in this league?

Our priority is keep our best players is it not

Yes, but if a big part of our wage bill is tied up paying for pish like rankin etc then we have to deal with that situation before we can make our best offer to the the best players.

blackpoolhibs
31-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Will this not depend on whether Derek has had offers or not or do you think he will be happy with a certain amount to stay at Hibs regardless of what others are offering?

I'd hope he stays, but i'm not daft enough to think he will if there's double or even treble on offer elsewhere. What i'm certain of, is Hibs will know what he wants, his agent will have been in talk with petrie, no matter what anyone says, Hibs will know what he's after.

bighairyfaeleith
31-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I'd hope he stays, but i'm not daft enough to think he will if there's double or even treble on offer elsewhere. What i'm certain of, is Hibs will know what he wants, his agent will have been in talk with petrie, no matter what anyone says, Hibs will know what he's after.

Yep, and we all know Deeks will want more than he is worth to Hibs, however Hibs will want to offer less than he is worth to hibs.

Hopefully they will find some middle ground but it is unlikely that deeks wants to rush into a deal either as this is probably his last really lucrative contract chance so will want to be sure he make the right decision.

I don't think it's just a case of hibs busting the bank to keep him.

I reckon he will still be a hibby next season though:pray:

stubru59
31-12-2010, 02:30 PM

What's on offer elsewhere will surely determine what he's after. His baseline could change if someone else "makes him an offer he can't refuse".

blackpoolhibs
31-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Yep, and we all know Deeks will want more than he is worth to Hibs, however Hibs will want to offer less than he is worth to hibs.

Hopefully they will find some middle ground but it is unlikely that deeks wants to rush into a deal either as this is probably his last really lucrative contract chance so will want to be sure he make the right decision.

I don't think it's just a case of hibs busting the bank to keep him.

I reckon he will still be a hibby next season though:pray:

I don't agree that we will try and offer less than he's worth to Hibs BF, i think we will offer what we can afford, maybe even a bit more, who knows? Like you i hope he stays, but i have my doubts. :dunno:

cad
31-12-2010, 02:34 PM
There doesnt seem to be any urgency on either side maybe they know they are not far away and it really depends on how big our squad is come the end of the season ,could it be that the difference between a 21 man squad and a 20 man squad is the difference between Deek staying or going .
Could it be hard ball with the rest of the squad into not getting the signing on fees some expect and the wage rises to stay at Hibs .
iI Hibs are serious about keeping Riordan there is going to have to be an awful lot of number crunching for the new players coming in.
Putting all your eggs in one basket only for someone to drop the basket would be foolish if you ask me if hes happy to wait and see I think we just have to go along with that..
If Calderwood's said he wants to keep him and Deeks given him a number that they both think is do able Calderwood can work round the rest of his ducking and diving to have Deek as a Hibs player.
Im more optimistic rather than ,pessimistic hes been to the dark side and he knows what its like so I cant see him jumping back there as for the championship means moving lock stock and barrel ,but that's a footballers life to move about ,
Deek likes it here best deal or cash elsewhere only he knows nae point greeting aboot it hes only one guy its the other jokers Im worried about that hes keeping .
Can his girl no just tell him and us hes going naewhere it would make it a hell of alot easier
TBH Im no fussed either way but 20 odd goals+ a season no something you want walking away for heehaw no unless youve got something better coming in and that I doubt .

bighairyfaeleith
31-12-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't agree that we will try and offer less than he's worth to Hibs BF, i think we will offer what we can afford, maybe even a bit more, who knows? Like you i hope he stays, but i have my doubts. :dunno:

Ahem, one word, Petrie :greengrin

Beefster
31-12-2010, 03:25 PM
My worry is that, from memory (which can be dodgy, BTW), RP doesn't have a good record track record with honouring contract offers. Didn't Deek get a raw deal when a contract was offered then later withdrawn, back in Mogga's early days? :hmmm:

FWIW, my take on CC's comment is that Hibs will offer DR 'x' amount if and when they offload a few surplus players.
Or scarily, maybe they've told him they'll offer him a new contract that's less than 'x' and it'll be on the table in the summer if he doesn't get a better offer elsewhere.

Either way, it's a gamble by Hibs and if that is the case & I was Deek, I'd be off.

Still hope he stays, like. :pray:

I'm fairly sure that Riordan didn't sign that contract when it was offered so I'm not sure how he got a raw deal. If he had been desperate to sign it, he would have done. Mowbray had every right to put all unsigned contracts on hold whilst he evaluated his squad.

The contract was offered again so Riordan had a second chance to sign it later. I don't think he did though because I remember him moving to Celtic for sweeties.

Bostonhibby
31-12-2010, 04:18 PM

:confused: Me tae, unless its money coming first again, and what we are doing is tying up more of the good youngsters first to ensure maximum sell on value.

My current take on Deeks is that he probably wants to stay close to home, probably with us if the offer is right, if thats the case then to lose him once was bad enough though probably beyond our control. This time I think its maybe about making him feel wanted and make our best offer, busting the bank if need be, I have no problem rewarding exceptional talent exceptionally and we probably have more to gain in the long run by doing it.
Maybe we need to have a whip round?

Captain Trips
31-12-2010, 04:23 PM
DR has not won as much as perhaps his skills would normally get, I think along with a money offer he would be interested in the future of the team to see what direction thats going in.

IMO I think there will be a clash with DR and RP and his ambitions for Hibs this I fear will be the factor in his leaving.

delbert
31-12-2010, 04:34 PM
I posted on here some time ago that the contract offered to Riordan will not be what he is after and he will leave, simple as that. Stand by the info I was given, and everything that has been coming out in the last week or so has done nothing to convince me otherwise. The one ray of hope I have is that Calderwood, having seen the utter dross he has been left to work with barring Riordan and a couple of others, goes in to Petrie and basically says that if players like Riordan are allowed to leave then, on a point of principle, he is off. Pat Stanton did that years ago and called the boards bluff, he resigned, and the board caved, and reinstated him 48 hours later.

I fear only a gesture such as this will keep Deek at Easter Road, and as far as I am concerned, if we are genuinely looking for this board to invest in Hibs as football team now that the off the field stuff appears to be complete, then a great starting marker for that investment would be resigning Derek Riordan to a new contract. It was less than a fortnight ago that Calderwood said we need players like him at the club, so lets see you fight for him then !!

allmodcons
31-12-2010, 05:05 PM
I posted on here some time ago that the contract offered to Riordan will not be what he is after and he will leave, simple as that. Stand by the info I was given, and everything that has been coming out in the last week or so has done nothing to convince me otherwise. The one ray of hope I have is that Calderwood, having seen the utter dross he has been left to work with barring Riordan and a couple of others, goes in to Petrie and basically says that if players like Riordan are allowed to leave then, on a point of principle, he is off. Pat Stanton did that years ago and called the boards bluff, he resigned, and the board caved, and reinstated him 48 hours later.

I fear only a gesture such as this will keep Deek at Easter Road, and as far as I am concerned, if we are genuinely looking for this board to invest in Hibs as football team now that the off the field stuff appears to be complete, then a great starting marker for that investment would be resigning Derek Riordan to a new contract. It was less than a fortnight ago that Calderwood said we need players like him at the club, so lets see you fight for him then !!

I hope CC doesn't take your advice, that would simply send the club into turmoil before a seriously crucial run of matches, but hey lets not worry about the bigger picture when DR is looking to renew his contract!

The only reason DR will leave Hibs is if he's offered a better deal somewhere else. I have no idea what his current deal is like but, regardless of ambition, the board will have to draw the line somewhere.

If DR is offered £10K per week by a championship club is anybody seriously suggesting Hibs match their offer??

Captain Trips
31-12-2010, 05:28 PM
I hope CC doesn't take your advice, that would simply send the club into turmoil before a seriously crucial run of matches, but hey lets not worry about the bigger picture when DR is looking to renew his contract!

The only reason DR will leave Hibs is if he's offered a better deal somewhere else. I have no idea what his current deal is like but, regardless of ambition, the board will have to draw the line somewhere.

If DR is offered £10K per week by a championship club is anybody seriously suggesting Hibs match their offer??

Why is this down to £ for £? I dont think it is, a lot more to it than that. If he is offered 10k and we offer say 7k as a top offer that maybe enough. We do not know what he would accept to not have to move away.

If we are in the region of another clubs offer then you never know.

BSEJVT
31-12-2010, 05:28 PM

I think you are absolutely correct.

I also think that both parties are waiting to see what the best offer he can get elsewhere is and if its a gap between what Hibs are able to pay and that offer that's bridgeable.

To be honest I am resigned to Derek going and bear neither him nor the Board any ill will over it.

There's a price to pay and a price to walk away in absolutely every deal.

I rate Derek very highly and IMO he is worth more than Hibs are capable of paying.

allmodcons
31-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Why is this down to £ for £? I dont think it is, a lot more to it than that. If he is offered 10k and we offer say 7k as a top offer that maybe enough. We do not know what he would accept to not have to move away.

If we are in the region of another clubs offer then you never know.

I don't disagree with what you're saying. DR might stay at Hibs for less than he's offered elsewhere. My point is that the board WILL have a limit as to how much we can afford to pay DR. I chose the champinship as an example because it's fair to say that most clubs in that league are 'out of our league' in terms of paying wages.

Bottom line is this isn't about the board's ambition or lack of it. I'm sure they'll do what they can to keep him but, at the end of the day, may not be able to meet DR's wage demands.

allmodcons
31-12-2010, 05:49 PM

I also think that both parties are waiting to see what the best offer he can get elsewhere is and if its a gap between what Hibs are able to pay and that offer that's bridgeable.

To be honest I am resigned to Derek going and bear neither him nor the Board any ill will over it.

I rate Derek very highly and IMO he is worth more than Hibs are capable of paying.

:agree: totally

RickyS
31-12-2010, 05:51 PM

Deek has stated openly that he wanted to stay, and we should have been negotiating long before now. I understand that we are working at lowering the wage bill long term, but for me if it means that we have to cope with 23 instead of 25 then so be it. give the man what he wants for as long as he wants, he is that important to us. my opinion anyway.

HibbyAndy
31-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Wether its right or wrong Deek wants mare cash/ Dusnae want mare cash/ Hes a judas/ Letting his contract run down again/Not worth the cash/ Lazy bassa/ Bad influence etc..... Say what the hell you want about the laddie, But Hibernian fc WILL struggle without his goals, Thats a fact, Not my theory..Its a god given cert Hibs will struggle without him.

Im sick to the back teeth of posters on here saying Hibs are right not to give him more cash,At the end of the day Hibs without Riordan in the side does not bare thinking about.

Im not saying for one moment we should offer him the earth to stay on, Im merely stating life without Riordan is not worth thinking about right now, With out his goals this season we would be bottom.

Bad Martini
31-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Wether its right or wrong Deek wants mare cash/ Dusnae want mare cash/ Hes a judas/ Letting his contract run down again/Not worth the cash/ Lazy bassa/ Bad influence etc..... Say what the hell you want about the laddie, But Hibernian fc WILL struggle without his goals, Thats a fact, Not my theory..Its a god given cert Hibs will struggle without him.

Im sick to the back teeth of posters on here saying Hibs are right not to give him more cash,At the end of the day Hibs without Riordan in the side does not bare thinking about.

Im not saying for one moment we should offer him the earth to stay on, Im merely stating life without Riordan is not worth thinking about right now, With out his goals this season we would be bottom.

:agree: spot on Hamish. Spot on amigo :top marks

ENDOF

seanshow
31-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Deek has stated openly that he wanted to stay, and we should have been negotiating long before now. I understand that we are working at lowering the wage bill long term, but for me if it means that we have to cope with 23 instead of 25 then so be it. give the man what he wants for as long as he wants, he is that important to us. my opinion anyway.

100% agree,A diehard hibee, 100 goals and a few of them screamers against the yams :greengrin

......When he returned from the west this forum was in meltdown with thousands of fans in anticipation.

This is a no brainer, Rodders should find the cash to get him signed, it doesn't matter how.

mjhibby
31-12-2010, 06:23 PM

That is it in a nutshell but deek should well remember he went to the darkside for more money and see what happened.if he wants away then its byebye im afraid as we cant match offers that double ours but i think it is more likely deek is waiting to see who comes in/goes before commiting himself.I believe in calderwood and adams totally and think its more about two years down the line when they are doing well and job offers come up but thats for another day.
Deeks is entitled to look around but i feel he will stay if there is a happy and settled team by the end of the season and we will just have to wait and see on that front.He has left before so it isnt going to be a great shock if he goes again so lets get behind cc and the team and look forward to a better second half of the season and deeks situation will resolve itself in time.

ancient hibee
31-12-2010, 08:50 PM
When he came from Celtic it was a very good deal-it is quite possible that far from him wanting more money-Hibs are offering him less than he's getting.

sahib
01-01-2011, 11:27 AM
If he goes we don't seem to have a ready made replacement, which is a worry. However, I think Riordan is the most overrated player ( by the fans) that I can remember. Admittedly, it was difficult to gauge these things before the advent of fan message boards.

IWasThere2016
01-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Spot on brother :agree:

marinello59
01-01-2011, 12:56 PM

Who has said that? Who? Plenty saying that we can't afford to give him what he would get elsewhere. The player knows what Hibs can offer and if he goes off chasing the money best of luck to him.

Eskisehirspor26
02-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Greetings from Turkey/Eskisehir!
As you know, there is a transfer speculation about your striker, Derek Riordan. We, Eskisehirspor Fans, have watched his videos, also some friends are following Scottish Premier Leauge, we have got a bit information about him, he likes night-life and banned from bars etc.,moreover, Eskisehir has got famous night-life too :) Can you inform us more about his abilities, preferred moves, skills..?
Thanks.

MSK
02-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Greetings from Turkey/Eskisehir!
As you know, there is a transfer speculation about your striker, Derek Riordan. We, Eskisehirspor Fans, have watched his videos, also some friends are following Scottish Premier Leauge, we have got a bit information about him, he likes night-life and banned from bars etc.,moreover, Eskisehir has got famous night-life too :) Can you inform us more about his abilities, preferred moves, skills..?
Thanks.Welcome ..check this thread out ..a few differing opinions on Deek ..

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?200696-Riordan

Eskisehirspor26
02-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Welcome ..check this thread out ..a few differing opinions on Deek ..

ah I didn't see it, thanks :)

Ernie Cobra
02-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Welcome ..check this thread out ..a few differing opinions on Deek ..

He is absolutely rubbish, never a football player in his life, and certainly not worthy of a club held so highly in world football as yours......

You would be best having a look at dome of our other talent, like

John Rankin - energetic midfielder "with a great engine" inventor and copyright holder of the squiggler. What he lacks in height he makes up for with 3 or 4 30 yard efforts week in week out.

Colin Nish - after a long successful career as a toboganist (spent alot of time on his arse) he boyhood dream has been realised when against all odds he was signed as a footballer. I hear the make a wish foundation has never fulfilled such an audacious move.

Chris Hogg - Solid as a rock no nonsense centre half, fantastic reader of the game, very rarely caught dreaming with his thumb up his erse thinking about how many pigeons are living inside the stadium instead of making a crucial tackle or clearing a corner.

Tam Mccourt- The "brains" behind our whole operation, Tam has guided us through what has been a clearly testing financial climate, to successfully ompleting the building of our multi billion pound state of the art training / space centre. He also has the club on a wonderfull financial footing which will in time allow for further investment to the tune of £80bn for on feild expolits.

I hope this is of more help to you, any further information required please feel free to ask.

BEEJ
02-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Colin Nish - after a long successful career as a toboganist (spent alot of time on his arse) he boyhood dream has been realised when against all odds he was signed as a footballer. I hear the make a wish foundation has never fulfilled such an audacious move.
Or 'tobacconist', as the profession is alternatively known here in Scotland.

burghhibs
02-01-2011, 06:58 PM
He is absolutely rubbish, never a football player in his life, and certainly not worthy of a club held so highly in world football as yours......

John Rankin - energetic midfielder "with a great engine" inventor and copyright holder of the squiggler. What he lacks in height he makes up for with 3 or 4 30 yard efforts week in week out.

Chris Hogg - Solid as a rock no nonsense centre half, fantastic reader of the game, very rarely caught dreaming with his thumb up his erse thinking about how many pigeons are living inside the stadium instead of making a crucial tackle or clearing a corner.

Tam Mccourt- The "brains" behind our whole operation, Tam has guided us through what has been a clearly testing financial climate, to successfully ompleting the building of our multi billion pound state of the art training / space centre. He also has the club on a wonderfull financial footing which will in time allow for further investment to the tune of £80bn for on feild expolits.

I hope this is of more help to you, any further information required please feel free to ask.

PMSL :thumbsup:

moggie
02-01-2011, 06:58 PM
It does seem a bit strange that the only club that seem to be interested in deeks is some turkish side. Im guessing this week will see the big rush coming in from the premiership/championship.

HiBremian
02-01-2011, 07:00 PM

Admin edit: Not sure how Mr. Cobra managed to hack into Mr. Petrie's PC this morning. Suggest you get in quick before top premiership sides receive this email on Tuesday morning.