PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me rumors are not true about Hogg and Rankin

KiddA
26-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Please tell me these two have not been offered new deals. Anyone in the know? if this is true I am going to drink myself to sleep tonight and hopefully wake up to find it was all a bad dream :paranoid:

BEEJ
26-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Best not to fret about it until the club confirms that it's true.

We've got enough to concern us without getting wound up by spurious rumours.

fife hfc
26-12-2010, 10:22 PM
It would push me over the edge and if they two are at Easter Road next season then two season tickets would unlikely to be renewed. Then again first division players would be playing at their true level.

monktonharp
27-12-2010, 01:44 AM
It would push me over the edge and if they two are at Easter Road next season then two season tickets would unlikely to be renewed. Then again first division players would be playing at their true level.:agree:I think you will find more than just a few agreeing with you ,friend.

AFKA5814_Hibs
27-12-2010, 01:51 AM
The only player out of contract at the end of the season who should be offered a new contract is Riordan, the rest should be punted.

Toaods
27-12-2010, 06:04 AM
Ok....I'll tell you.....it's not true.

cabbageandribs1875
27-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Best not to fret about it until the club confirms that it's true.

'the club' saw fit NOT to inform us(for several months) that mowbray had given Zibi a very lengthy contract extension(as mowbrays going away present for us) :paranoid:

Cropley10
27-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Ok....I'll tell you.....it's not true.

Please tell me these rumours I'm hearing about them not signing are true

BT58
27-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Wonder if RP will ask the fans to back CC
by buying new season tickets in the summer
If either of these imposters get a new deal
no season ticket for me

Ozyhibby
27-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Wonder if RP will ask the fans to back CC
by buying new season tickets in the summer
If either of these imposters get a new deal
no season ticket for me
:agree:

Winston Ingram
27-12-2010, 10:57 AM
What rumours?:confused:

Saorsa
27-12-2010, 11:15 AM
My decision tae renew was up in the air but if this is the sort of player we're intent on signing/re-signing then that's nailed it for me, not a chance I'm throwing away hundreds of pound on these huddies.

Dashing Bob S
27-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Can't add to those sentiments. The cinema beckons for me, because if that pair are resigned, then Calderwood and Petrie ain't got what it takes to make us better, and we're pretty dire as it stands.

Toaods
27-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Think about it, lots of players going out of contract, new manager in, shocking performances from the full squad bar a couple, near bottom of league and approx 1/4 of a season to get respectability attained. Is he likely to offer 2 of the 5 hotpicks for a P45 a new deal TO KEEP THEM at the club? An emphatic no

He will try to generate some incoming funds though, so it makes sense to offer a derisory contract TO HELP THEM LEAVE the club. That way any clubs mad enough to want these two can make a low, soon to be a Bosman bid.

I'd suggest almost any bid will be accepted in order to clear them off.

Don't just listen to the odd snippet of info you hear without thinking it through from CC's point of view.

ahibby
27-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Hogg was caught wrong side yesterday at the first goal and almost gifted a second while Rankin couldn't use his left foot a couple of times and gave the second goal away with really woeful play. I thought they were our weakest links yesterday but Rankin was involved in the lead up to our goal. Despite that I think we should let both go, if we can find better. Is Darren Barr better than Chris Hogg?

stubru59
27-12-2010, 12:02 PM
It was said a few weeks ago that CC was in talks with one or two of the players.

To think he meant those two just doesn't bear thinking about.

Saorsa
27-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Hogg was caught wrong side yesterday at the first goal and almost gifted a second while Rankin couldn't use his left foot a couple of times and gave the second goal away with really woeful play. I thought they were our weakest links yesterday but Rankin was involved in the lead up to our goal. Despite that I think we should let both go, if we can find better. Is Darren Barr better than Chris Hogg?We could find worse?

1two
27-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Rankin as a reserve player maybe hog I a hibs tracksuit no thanks

TornadoHibby
27-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Can't add to those sentiments. The cinema beckons for me, because if that pair are resigned, then Calderwood and Petrie ain't got what it takes to make us better, and we're pretty dire as it stands.

I suspect that a lot of die hard fans are now beginning to think like you Bob and I, as a long standing fan am even considering giving up the excellent seat I have spent years working my way around to on the half way line in the West as I will not continue to go and watch guys in Hibs strips turning out and showing virtually nothing by way of will to win, commitment (both physical and mental), fitness, energy, decent skill levels, teamwork!

Yesterday was disappointing to say the least in that we gifted them goals, almost gifted them other had it not been for Mark Brown, particularly at the start of the second half!

I play competitive sport and sometimes you just get beaten by a better player and there isn't a great deal that you can do about that! However, our guys, one or two excepted, just haven't grasped this "theory" that when you (individually and as a team) are struggling, you need to dig very deep into your physical and mental strengths and resources to pull you performance levels up to one which lets you compete with your sometimes superior (skill wise) opponents!

Indeed, against most of the teams in the SPL, such effort and commitment would be enough to secure 3 points most weeks but we are not seeing that and CC must shoulder some responsibility as its amongst hist tasks to ensure that ALL players deliver at least that whilst they might be struggling to find their best form!

I love Hibs and have supported them since I was a kid getting "lifted over" the trunstile by my Dad who is still a ST ticket holder beside me although nearly 90 years old now!

However, there comes a point where you get pushed to considering the horrible prospect of doing something else on match days and I suspect that more than a few of us are getting to that point now!

Thoughts?

Twiglet
27-12-2010, 01:21 PM
On another thread on here someone said Rankin was looking down south as he wants financial stability. Maybe if he has been offered a new contract it's only a 1 year deal and maybe he will move on anyway.
As for the 2nd goal yesterday, we can't put the blae down to Rankin solely. He ended up at LB with no support, where was Grounds? When he was stuck in the corner on his own with 2 Aberdeen players, why did no Hibs player go forward to him and at least try and help him.
As for the 1st, for once I feel like I can't defend Hogg. I wil normally defend every Hibs player to the end, but I can't defend Hogg for once. I'm not going to slag him off, but I can't defend based on that.
I now have to concede that Hoggs' time is up at Hibs, and Rankins' too. Feel sorry for the guys as people, but if they are to stay, they need to improve greatly.

Phil D. Rolls
27-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Please tell me these two have not been offered new deals. Anyone in the know? if this is true I am going to drink myself to sleep tonight and hopefully wake up to find it was all a bad dream :paranoid:

OK, it's not true.

Bostonhibby
27-12-2010, 01:53 PM
OK, it's not true.

Yahoo! I feel better already, thats it all sorted, can you please tell me that Sol Bamba is Loyal, Deeks is definitely staying, Nish is going to finish the season as top scorer in the SPL and that the recession is over.

Littlest Hobo
27-12-2010, 02:07 PM
I suspect that a lot of die hard fans are now beginning to think like you Bob and I, as a long standing fan am even considering giving up the excellent seat I have spent years working my way around to on the half way line in the West as I will not continue to go and watch guys in Hibs strips turning out and showing virtually nothing by way of will to win, commitment (both physical and mental), fitness, energy, decent skill levels, teamwork!

Yesterday was disappointing to say the least in that we gifted them goals, almost gifted them other had it not been for Mark Brown, particularly at the start of the second half!

I play competitive sport and sometimes you just get beaten by a better player and there isn't a great deal that you can do about that! However, our guys, one or two excepted, just haven't grasped this "theory" that when you (individually and as a team) are struggling, you need to dig very deep into your physical and mental strengths and resources to pull you performance levels up to one which lets you compete with your sometimes superior (skill wise) opponents!

Indeed, against most of the teams in the SPL, such effort and commitment would be enough to secure 3 points most weeks but we are not seeing that and CC must shoulder some responsibility as its amongst hist tasks to ensure that ALL players deliver at least that whilst they might be struggling to find their best form!

I love Hibs and have supported them since I was a kid getting "lifted over" the trunstile by my Dad who is still a ST ticket holder beside me although nearly 90 years old now!

However, there comes a point where you get pushed to considering the horrible prospect of doing something else on match days and I suspect that more than a few of us are getting to that point now!

Thoughts?

Good post :top marks

I suspect quite a few reached that point quite a while ago.

monktonharp
27-12-2010, 02:18 PM
On another thread on here someone said Rankin was looking down south as he wants financial stability. Maybe if he has been offered a new contract it's only a 1 year deal and maybe he will move on anyway.
As for the 2nd goal yesterday, we can't put the blae down to Rankin solely. He ended up at LB with no support, where was Grounds? When he was stuck in the corner on his own with 2 Aberdeen players, why did no Hibs player go forward to him and at least try and help him.
As for the 1st, for once I feel like I can't defend Hogg. I wil normally defend every Hibs player to the end, but I can't defend Hogg for once. I'm not going to slag him off, but I can't defend based on that.
I now have to concede that Hoggs' time is up at Hibs, and Rankins' too. Feel sorry for the guys as people, but if they are to stay, they need to improve greatly.yes their time is up so if they wont go ...........empty them:cool2:

Bostonhibby
27-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Good post :top marks

I suspect quite a few reached that point quite a while ago.

I haven't got a ST to cancel or burn but I happily make 15 - 20 trips a year following Hibs and it ain't cheap, and takes a fair bit of my and my friends time up, I have followed us through some pretty dire times but there was always a bit of effort or money reasons for our mediocriy, this time we seem to have got an unfortunate coincidental meeting of bad morale / culture and some players who aren't that bothered about Hibs / are not up to even SPL level , and after yesterday, in the short term I can see myself not going until I feel this situation is being addressed, I will definitely give CC a chance post January window, pathetic I know but its my form of protest as I don't feel theres any point in taking to the streets yet.

Toaods
27-12-2010, 02:52 PM
As for the 1st, for once I feel like 'I can't defend' Hogg. I wil normally defend every Hibs player to the end, but I can't defend Hogg for once. I'm not going to slag him off, but I can't defend based on that.

Perhaps we should have the club shop add these letters onto the back of his strip.:greengrin

eastmainsmsh
27-12-2010, 04:55 PM
I think Hogg is a decent player who has lost his confidence big time the captains role has maybe caused this :confused:

Unf i dont get to games as much this season so i cant say how he has been performing but as a team its shocking going by results and reports of late

I like Hogg hope he can get his confidence back CC knows what is required and maybe hogg is part of his plans

Yogis team faded badly after a promising start that period is over Lets get behind team and head for glory :notworthy:

ScottB
27-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Frankly, it's up to CC, if he thinks these two benefit the team as a whole, then that's that.

Bare in mind, we have what, 14, 15, 16 players out of contract in the summer? That's a hell of a lot to find in one go at a required level of quality. If CC thinks keeping Hogg and Rankin around will make his job finding new players in the summer easier then I'm happy with his decision.

RickyS
27-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Frankly, it's up to CC, if he thinks these two benefit the team as a whole, then that's that.

Bare in mind, we have what, 14, 15, 16 players out of contract in the summer? That's a hell of a lot to find in one go at a required level of quality. If CC thinks keeping Hogg and Rankin around will make his job finding new players in the summer easier then I'm happy with his decision.

that is true but its not impossible, even if there are problems gelling a whole team together they would score at least 3 against the shower of ***** we have pretending to be professional footballers

scoopyboy
27-12-2010, 05:20 PM

Thoughts?

You should be ashamed of yourself, just going to let your old boy gonna go on his own at his age.

You talk about playing sport and having to be mentally and physically tough (which you are 100% correct btw), well you could apply the same to fans.

Like you my old boy used to lift me over the turnstiles, I wish he was here now so that I could sit with him.

.Sean.
27-12-2010, 05:24 PM
I think Hogg is a decent player who has lost his confidence big time the captains role has maybe caused this :confused:

Unf i dont get to games as much this season so i cant say how he has been performing but as a team its shocking going by results and reports of late

I like Hogg hope he can get his confidence back CC knows what is required and maybe hogg is part of his plans

Yogis team faded badly after a promising start that period is over Lets get behind team and head for glory :notworthy:
What I think too :agree:

There's certainly a player in Chris Hogg - As indicated when he won two POTY awards in the 07/08 season. He rightly won those awards too, I don't think anybody can argue with that.

Toaods
27-12-2010, 05:45 PM
What I think too :agree:

There's certainly a player in Chris Hogg - As indicated when he won two POTY awards in the 07/08 season. He rightly won those awards too, I don't think anybody can argue with that.

I did and still will..he had a decent season but no more than that. Fans get carried away with a player ability when pitted against his character.

Seems he's a decent enough guy but he's rubbish. Ask all the keepers and full backs who've been shown teh door since he arrived.

as far as we are aware, no team have submitted a bid for him and are not likely to.

Too slow, too soft (as proven by Vernon yesterday) and can't dominate a big striker.....not much positive on a central defender's CV is it? anyone else brave enough to have looked at the lowlights of the game yet? his gift to the Irish subbie is worse on camera than it was in real time.

A week until the window opens and I hope he's the first one out the door, giving Rankine a piggy back on the way out.

Hearts fans are licking their lips at the thought of Kyle setting about him in the Derby.

.Sean.
27-12-2010, 06:19 PM
I did and still will..he had a decent season but no more than that. Fans get carried away with a player ability when pitted against his character.

Seems he's a decent enough guy but he's rubbish. Ask all the keepers and full backs who've been shown teh door since he arrived.

as far as we are aware, no team have submitted a bid for him and are not likely to.

Too slow, too soft (as proven by Vernon yesterday) and can't dominate a big striker.....not much positive on a central defender's CV is it? anyone else brave enough to have looked at the lowlights of the game yet? his gift to the Irish subbie is worse on camera than it was in real time.

A week until the window opens and I hope he's the first one out the door, giving Rankine a piggy back on the way out.

Hearts fans are licking their lips at the thought of Kyle setting about him in the Derby.
He didn't win his awards because fans got 'carried away', he won the awards as he was by far and away Hibs' best player that season with consistently solid performances. Is it really that hard to comprehend? :confused:

And it's an old cliche I know, but good players don't become bad players overnight. I think there's still a good player in Chris Hogg but for whatever reason, he's not shown it recently and I won't deny that. Maybe having the captaincy plays on his mind too much when he's on the pitch and the added pressure affects him. Who knows?

Also, how would you now that nobody has made an offer for Hogg in the past? Does Petrie inform you of every offer the club receive?

BT58
27-12-2010, 07:22 PM
I remember Joe Tortolano having a twin brother
maybe chris Hogg is a triplet
One good season out of how many????
Jeez,,, this is the guy who is club captain
Get rid of him and his chum Jr asap
Was gonna throw in CN too but this is
still the season of guid will
If hoggy is playing against the tarts,,,
GOD HELP US!!!!

marinello59
27-12-2010, 07:24 PM
I am hoping both players are offered new contracts just to see which poster here self combusts first. :greengrin

Springbank
27-12-2010, 07:33 PM

COuldn't disagree more with you fella

He should never have been captain, been dire from the off

Yogi's worst decision was making his 14th best player captain on day one.

BT58
27-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I am hoping both players are offered new contracts just to see which poster here self combusts first. :greengrin

Did you get a fishing rod for Xmas perchance
or are you a happy clapper of the highest persuasion
LOL

McIntosh
27-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Both players have intimated to their respective agents that they are looking to move down south. Ipswich Town are looking at Rankin while Brighton and Bournemouth are looking at Hogg. I would be very surprised indeed if they stayed.

Source my nephew who has come up trump several times is a sports journalist.

truehibernian
27-12-2010, 09:19 PM
I very very much doubt Brighton, a team with the best defensive record in League 1, two games in hand and sitting proudly at the top of the league, are even thinking of sending a scout to watch Chris Hogg. I would have believed you if you said your relative worked for the highways dept and were looking at using Hogg as a replacement lampost or traffic cone. Worst defender for Hibernian in 20 years by a country mule.....I mean mile !

Cropley10
27-12-2010, 09:37 PM
I very very much doubt Brighton, a team with the best defensive record in League 1, two games in hand and sitting proudly at the top of the league, are even thinking of sending a scout to watch Chris Hogg. I would have believed you if you said your relative worked for the highways dept and were looking at using Hogg as a replacement lampost or traffic cone. Worst defender for Hibernian in 20 years by a country mule.....I mean mile !

I couldn't believe how bad Hogg was yesterday. I stayed to the final whistle and wasn't at all surprised to see him sprint off the pitch and down the tunnel...

I've said elsewhere he was almost guilty of gross misconduct he was that bad.

McIntosh
27-12-2010, 09:40 PM

As you and I know, agents do have an amazing capacity in suggesting cart-horses are thoroughbreds. Regardless of this, these players won't be at Easter Road come the summer and in one case the end of the transfer window.

truehibernian
27-12-2010, 09:49 PM
As you and I know, agents do have an amazing capacity in suggesting cart-horses are thoroughbreds. Regardless of this, these players won't be at Easter Road come the summer and in one case the end of the transfer window.

100% accurate in your appraisal of agents. But Chris Hogg will not be going to Brighton.......can just see Gus Poyet's face is ever asked the question whether he is interested in Hoggy.......on unrelated football matters Gus Poyet reminds me of the lima in creature comforts :greengrin

RickyS
27-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Both players have intimated to their respective agents that they are looking to move down south. Ipswich Town are looking at Rankin while Brighton and Bournemouth are looking at Hogg. I would be very surprised indeed if they stayed.

Source my nephew who has come up trump several times is a sports journalist.

it might be that their agents have passed this info to the press to get their names in a paper but if one or both of them gets that move I will gladly eat ma pants

McIntosh
27-12-2010, 10:28 PM
it might be that their agents have passed this info to the press to get their names in a paper but if one or both of them gets that move I will gladly eat ma pants

You may well be right. It does indicate that in the immediate short-term that they and the agents are trying to procure a move.

truehibernian
27-12-2010, 10:40 PM
You may well be right. It does indicate that in the immediate short-term that they and the agents are trying to procure a move.

Thing is mate, as you no doubt know, they wouldn't be doing their job as an agent if they have not been actively seeking employment for their clients who are running down the last 6 months of their contracts. They get their fees too so it's in the interests of both (and funnily enough not Hibs) to get the CV's sent out to as many clubs as possible. I would hope any agent of mine was getting their act together way before now especially if there had been no movement or discussion from my current club since summer.

The silence is deafening from ER regards contracts and we can only read between the lines and say there will be a mass clear out in summer, with quality as opposed quantity for next season (we hope) especially when funds will be squeezed across Scottish football. No reserve league is a real blow for the game, but perhaps not so bad for Hibernian in our position. A squad of 30 players could be IMHO reduced to around 23/24 supplemented by youth players.

We need to look closely at the youth set up and having the ability to fast track certain players through. Better scouting would help.

Steve-O
27-12-2010, 10:40 PM
The pair of them are truly terrible and if they are re-signed it will confirm my suspicions (still suspicions at this stage...) that Calderwood doesn't have a scooby.

Woody1985
27-12-2010, 10:46 PM
There's lots of talk about changing the culture at the club behind closed doors.

We're still going to need squad players and these guys are reportedly good influences behind closed doors with their off pitch behaviour.

Celtic changed too many players under tm and that cost them dearly. I think that will be in the back of cc's mind.

Personally I wouldn't be fussed either way if they take reduced wages but if we can get better players it would be great.

I'd understand why the manager might keep them.

GreenCastle
27-12-2010, 10:53 PM

Thoughts?

Very well put - as fans we ask for the basics - it's Hibs not Barca we are watching but the energy / commitment and I could go on are just not there.

Steve-O
27-12-2010, 11:05 PM
There's lots of talk about changing the culture at the club behind closed doors.

We're still going to need squad players and these guys are reportedly good influences behind closed doors with their off pitch behaviour.

Celtic changed too many players under tm and that cost them dearly. I think that will be in the back of cc's mind.

Personally I wouldn't be fussed either way if they take reduced wages but if we can get better players it would be great.

Please go and watch the highlights of yesterday's game, including Hogg's effort at BOTH goals as well as his numerous errors, and tell me if you still believe your own post.

The guy is a total liability. I didn't even realise the first goal was basically his fault until the highlights but his effort at putting in a 'tackle' on whoever crossed the ball was just shocking. He is not even trying anymore. Absolute pish.

Would not even keep him if he was playing as a volunteer!

Rankin, just so average it's unbelievable. Marginally better than Hogg, but still utter gash.

Toaods
27-12-2010, 11:18 PM
He didn't win his awards because fans got 'carried away', he won the awards as he was by far and away Hibs' best player that season with consistently solid performances. Is it really that hard to comprehend? :confused:

'consistently solid'...that sums it up. Not outstanding then or above average but missed a few games through injury or suspension......just was available for selection every week in an otherwise decent team.

And it's an old cliche I know, but good players don't become bad players overnight. Nor do bad players become good players. I think there's still a good player in Chris Hogg but for whatever reason, he's not shown it recently and I won't deny that. Maybe having the captaincy plays on his mind too much when he's on the pitch and the added pressure affects him. Who knows?

He'd lost all form long before he got the captaincy...had Mixu not effectively binned him?

Also, how would you now that nobody has made an offer for Hogg in the past? Does Petrie inform you of every offer the club receive? yes.

responses in red

sleeping giant
27-12-2010, 11:21 PM

:top marks

Great post. Fully agree

Woody1985
28-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Please go and watch the highlights of yesterday's game, including Hogg's effort at BOTH goals as well as his numerous errors, and tell me if you still believe your own post.

The guy is a total liability. I didn't even realise the first goal was basically his fault until the highlights but his effort at putting in a 'tackle' on whoever crossed the ball was just shocking. He is not even trying anymore. Absolute pish.

Rankin, just so average it's unbelievable. Marginally better than Hogg, but still utter gash.

I watched them tonight on ss. Yes, they're both pretty pish but I think my post is still valid re their attitude etc and mass changing of a squad.

Steve-O
28-12-2010, 12:43 AM
I watched them tonight on ss. Yes, they're both pretty pish but I think my post is still valid re their attitude etc and mass changing of a squad.

I couldn't care less what Hogg does off the park. If you're pish, you're pish, and Hogg is definitely that.

He doesn't even look like he's trying ON the park, so whether or not he goes to the boozer after games is irrelevant in his case IMO.

Does his 'good influence' look like it's working!? :confused:

snooky
28-12-2010, 12:52 AM

The bit that got me about the first goal was that Hogg didn't make any attempt "to get goal side" (see page no. 1 in the "How To Be A Defender" manual). That was inexcusable at any level IMO.
:taxi

Shrekko
28-12-2010, 12:57 AM
The pair of them are truly terrible and if they are re-signed it will confirm my suspicions (still suspicions at this stage...) that Calderwood doesn't have a scooby.

Could you expand on why you have these 'suspicions' about CC and also in what way you're qualified to have them?

What would you do differently in his situation?

I'm intrigued as to why he doesn't have a scooby and if your going to say he shouldn't play Nish, Rankin etc then make sure you specify who he plays instead.

Steve-O
28-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Could you expand on why you have these 'suspicions' about CC and also in what way you're qualified to have them?

What would you do differently in his situation?

I'm intrigued as to why he doesn't have a scooby and if your going to say he shouldn't play Nish, Rankin etc then make sure you specify who he plays instead.

Why do I have these suspicions? Let me see...possibly because that 90 minutes of dross that I watched yesterday is amongst the worst I have ever seen in 25 odd years of watching Hibs.

Nothing has changed since he came in and I've never witnessed such apathy amongst friends and family regarding Hibs. People do not even want to go to games and the new manager is hardly that Mr Charisma is he?

Tactics = hoof it up the park bypassing the 'midfield', hope for a mistake or a lucky break and/or give the ball to Riordan and hope for the best.

Are there no young players that could do better than Rankin? Really?

And since when do fans now need qualifications to give their opinion on the manager? Have a word.

Shrekko
28-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Nothing has changed since he came in and I've never witnessed such apathy amongst friends and family regarding Hibs. People do not even want to go to games and the new manager is hardly that Mr Charisma is he?

Tactics = hoof it up the park bypassing the 'midfield', hope for a mistake or a lucky break and/or give the ball to Riordan and hope for the best.

Are there no young players that could do better than Rankin? Really?

And since when do fans now need qualifications to give their opinion on the manager? Have
a word.

You tell me- which of the young boys are better than Rankin? I don't know! It always seems to be assumed that young and untested means better so I'm all ears. Galbraith has been the one folk have shouted for all season and he's been hopeless when he's started- no impact whatsoever. Is it fair to heap pressure on young boys in this situation? They've even tried giving Lewis Stevenson a game, a fairly experienced young player and he's hopeless as well- does less than Rankin despite probably being marginally more skilful.

To be using phrases like 'not a scooby' you must be quite certain as it's a fairly strong statement. When I asked your qualifications I wasn't actually asking to see you coaching badges, just
interested in where you draw your conclusions from.

If you think you can come in to a club with a dreadful squad who have a rotten mentality and turn it round in 3 months then. Think you're asking a lot. As I say though, if you can be specific about what he's doing wrong with the players at his disposal then I'm genuinely interested.

Steve-O
28-12-2010, 01:27 AM
You tell me- which of the young boys are better than Rankin? I don't know! It always seems to be assumed that young and untested means better so I'm all ears. Galbraith has been the one folk have shouted for all season and he's been hopeless when he's started- no impact whatsoever. Is it fair to heap pressure on young boys in this situation? They've even tried giving Lewis Stevenson a game, a fairly experienced young player and he's hopeless as well- does less than Rankin despite probably being marginally more skilful.

To be using phrases like 'not a scooby' you must be quite certain as it's a fairly strong statement. When I asked your qualifications I wasn't actually asking to see you coaching badges, just
interested in where you draw your conclusions from.

If you think you can come in to a club with a dreadful squad who have a rotten mentality and turn it round in 3 months then. Think you're asking a lot. As I say though, if you can be specific about what he's doing wrong with the players at his disposal then I'm genuinely interested.

I never expected a massive instant turnaround, but surely some SIGNS, even small ones, of some light at the end of the tunnel would not be too much to ask for?

The team do not look motivated in any way, shape or form and genuinely appear to not even know what they are doing?

I am simply worried that the new manager coming in has changed NOTHING. See Aberdeen FC for details of how this usually does happen.

And, to be specific, encouraging long ball nonsense in a team of relative midgets is one thing that IMO he has gotten completely wrong. The defence yesterday were looking to punt it on EVERY occasion. If that's not his tactics, then he certainly doesn't seem to be telling them to stop it anyway.

As for Galbraith, he did more than Rankin in 15 minutes than Rankin had done all day long, bar his cross for the goal (that he got slightly lucky with).

Shrekko
28-12-2010, 01:42 AM
I never expected a massive instant turnaround, but surely some SIGNS, even small ones, of some light at the end of the tunnel would not be too much to ask for?

The team do not look motivated in any way, shape or form and genuinely appear to not even know what they are doing?

I am simply worried that the new manager coming in has changed NOTHING. See Aberdeen FC for details of how this usually does happen.

And, to be specific, encouraging long ball nonsense in a team of relative midgets is one thing that IMO he has gotten completely wrong. The defence yesterday were looking to punt it on EVERY occasion. If that's not his tactics, then he certainly doesn't seem to be telling them to stop it
anyway.

As for Galbraith, he did more than Rankin in 15 minutes than Rankin had done all day long, bar his
cross for the goal (that he got slightly lucky with).

Aye Galbraith is ok for 15 mins- we were talking about replacing him as a starter. If you think Galbraith has done anything when's he started I disagree. You've still not said who should replace Rankin, bad as he is and that's the sort of position this guy has inherited.

I'm not sure we were booting the ball long all the time tbh but one thing I do know is that we create nothing going through the midfield and have no pace in the team either- again not CC's fault.

This team- the players, are spineless and talentless almost to a man. Very few managers could make a significant difference to this lot.

Calderwood has a proven record as a manager but you write him off as clueless cos he cannae get this lot playing decent football. We'll agree to differ. It was only 18 months ago that most folk on here seemed to think Mixu.. sorry Mixup was clueless and funnily enough he's done well in every other job he's had.

Steve-O
28-12-2010, 02:07 AM
Aye Galbraith is ok for 15 mins- we were talking about replacing him as a starter. If you think Galbraith has done anything when's he started I disagree. You've still not said who should replace Rankin, bad as he is and that's the sort of position this guy has inherited.

I'm not sure we were booting the ball long all the time tbh but one thing I do know is that we create nothing going through the midfield and have no pace in the team either- again not CC's fault.

This team- the players, are spineless and talentless almost to a man. Very few managers could make a significant difference to this lot.

Calderwood has a proven record as a manager but you write him off as clueless cos he cannae get this lot playing decent football. We'll agree to differ. It was only 18 months ago that most folk on here seemed to think Mixu.. sorry Mixup was clueless and funnily enough he's done well in every other job he's had.

I've not written him off just yet, but the early signs are not encouraging, I'll say that much.

As for Mixu, him doing well elsewhere doesn't detract from him not doing well at Hibs. It's just unfortunate that we've gotten worse instead of better since he left!

I know Calderwood can't suddenly make rubbish players good, but could we not expect that he might instill some sort of fight / team spirit / togetherness etc? The players don't appear to give a monkey's - surely part of Calderwood's job is to ensure that they do?

Shrekko
28-12-2010, 02:47 AM
I've not written him off just yet, but the early signs are not encouraging, I'll say that much.

As for Mixu, him doing well elsewhere doesn't detract from him not doing well at Hibs. It's just unfortunate that we've gotten worse instead of better since he left!

I know Calderwood can't suddenly make rubbish players good, but could we not expect that he might instill some sort of fight / team spirit / togetherness etc? The players don't appear to give a monkey's - surely part of Calderwood's job is to ensure that they do?

I don't think they give a monkeys either- the fact that 16 are out of contract this summer probably doesnt help but I just dont think the current crop have it in them! A passionate Hibs man like Yogi couldn't even get them up for derbies.

stokesmessiah
28-12-2010, 04:48 AM
I don't think they give a monkeys either- the fact that 16 are out of contract this summer probably doesnt help but I just dont think the current crop have it in them! A passionate Hibs man like Yogi couldn't even get them up for derbies.

I think possibly one of our biggest problems..To me the team is playing like a team of guys who have their heart set elsewhere. Although, where in gods name they think they are going is beyond me, I have seen names banded about (rankin to Preston NE & Hogg to Brighton) but i am not sure how the hell they think they can get a move. I played in highland (yes highland) league with Wick Academy for 5 years and i would be confident against players like hogg...awful, totally awful.

Lucius Apuleius
28-12-2010, 05:21 AM
This is more worrying:

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/39It39s-my-team-and-I.6672933.jp

Toaods
28-12-2010, 08:44 AM
He's faking it.

Judas Iscariot
28-12-2010, 09:16 AM
If Hogg and Rankin get new deals that'll be the clincher for me not renewing..

Put up with too many seasons of their dross and not willing to suffer any more..

Dashing Bob S
28-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Agree with Toads that he's probably faking it. He has to, these guys are bad enough if you tell them they are essential, what they'd be like if you informed them they are superfluous is anyone's guess.

As you say, contract deals with Hogg and Rankin will determine Calderwood's future. I think if they continue at ER then he and Rodders will have lost the support and ST revenues for next season's (first division) campaign.

Lucius Apuleius
28-12-2010, 09:37 AM
He's faking it.

Agree with Toads that he's probably faking it. He has to, these guys are bad enough if you tell them they are essential, what they'd be like if you informed them they are superfluous is anyone's guess.

As you say, contract deals with Hogg and Rankin will determine Calderwood's future. I think if they continue at ER then he and Rodders will have lost the support and ST revenues for next season's (first division) campaign.

That is certainly my hope!!!!!!

TornadoHibby
28-12-2010, 12:20 PM
You should be ashamed of yourself, just going to let your old boy gonna go on his own at his age.

You talk about playing sport and having to be mentally and physically tough (which you are 100% correct btw), well you could apply the same to fans.

Like you my old boy used to lift me over the turnstiles, I wish he was here now so that I could sit with him.

Far from being ashamed of myself, I am very disappointed that the Club has been allowed to "depreciate" in the playing pool sense to a point where all of the necessary attributes required to at least compete and perhaps win against teams that being one of the "big wage spenders" in the SPL should ensure continue to diminish!

For the record, my father is too and he attends less these days than he ever has although some weeks, like Saturday past, it is about weather conditions and temperatures for him!

Physical and mental toughness are necessary attributes for sportsmen who want to be as good as they can be at their chosen sport! They are not, however, even moderately helpful in a situation (i.e. for the fans to have) where they play absolutely no part in changing the result of what we are presently watching week after week (odd decent performance apart) and have been for more that a year now!

I've sat beside my father at ER for years now and stood beside him for many more years before that and I imagine that if we feel that the current situation is not going to be properly rectified and reasonably soon, then we will do what I imagine a number of other long standing fans of the Club might just do which I have already alluded to!

truehibernian
28-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Pains me to say this as well, and yes it is very very fickle, but if Hibs sign up Chris Hogg and co for another 2/3 years, then safe to say they will be going against everything I want to club to do and how I want them to progeress.......I will walk and watch from the comfort of my armchair and leave my son to go if he wants to.

I know a pub load of fans who feel the same way at present and it will be Hibernian's loss. I cannot watch another season of utter mediocrity and dross on the pitch. I could take defeat well if there was passion, excitement, a bit of skill and energy. Hibs have none of that and look defeated when the first pass goes astray, the first goal is conceded or the likes of Nish and Hogg are on the first eleven teamsheet.

Losing games is inevitable, but it is the way we are losing them and the abject failure to bounce back, take games by the scruff of the neck, and say "come on, get wired into them".......it's just wishy washy nambpy pamby nonsense. Players who are not fit to grace the jersey more willing to talk their game in a tabloid instead of avoiding the media, getting the head down, staying behind at training and getting the work done to improve.

It is over to Sir Tom and Rod for me to prove that the football product matters and to really start investing in both quality and the youth set up. Better scouting, reduction of quantity (we have 31/32 top team players only some of which are really of any great value), and getting the fans back on seats. We need to be innovative and really start to get people through the gates at ER, and that means investment on the pitch. Even the most passionate fans like me are having thoughts of turning my back on them......the board need to act now :agree:

scoopyboy
28-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Far from being ashamed of myself, I am very disappointed that the Club has been allowed to "depreciate" in the playing pool sense to a point where all of the necessary attributes required to at least compete and perhaps win against teams that being one of the "big wage spenders" in the SPL should ensure continue to diminish!

For the record, my father is too and he attends less these days than he ever has although some weeks, like Saturday past, it is about weather conditions and temperatures for him!

Physical and mental toughness are necessary attributes for sportsmen who want to be as good as they can be at their chosen sport! They are not, however, even moderately helpful in a situation (i.e. for the fans to have) where they play absolutely no part in changing the result of what we are presently watching week after week (odd decent performance apart) and have been for more that a year now!

I've sat beside my father at ER for years now and stood beside him for many more years before that and I imagine that if we feel that the current situation is not going to be properly rectified and reasonably soon, then we will do what I imagine a number of other long standing fans of the Club might just do which I have already alluded to!

My ashamed comment was made tongue in cheek but I wouldn't want you or your old boy to stop following Hibs.

Interesting argument however that you feel fans can't change games, I would argue they most certainly can. If fans boo and barrack players non stop it can affect certain players. On the other side of the coin when Hibs fans get behind the team players can be lifted no end, AEK game would be my first try to convince you.

Sammy7nil
28-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Two of my mates season ticket holders for 20 + years did not renew this year.

I can safely say if Hogg and Rankin get new contracts I will be the 3 rd to fall away and I will be lost as a season ticket holder after 40 odd years supporting Hibs I will go to the odd game. My Golf Hcp may even improve

TornadoHibby
29-12-2010, 09:22 AM
My ashamed comment was made tongue in cheek but I wouldn't want you or your old boy to stop following Hibs.

Interesting argument however that you feel fans can't change games, I would argue they most certainly can. If fans boo and barrack players non stop it can affect certain players. On the other side of the coin when Hibs fans get behind the team players can be lifted no end, AEK game would be my first try to convince you.

Apologies for taking your comments a bit more seriously than you had intended!

As for crowds changing matches, I agree with you 100% and the AEK game is a good example but for the crowd to have an effect, you have to have players who care and I'm not sure we have that at ER in abundance right now!

Steve-O
30-12-2010, 01:55 AM
looks like CC read this thread and binned the pair of them!