PDA

View Full Version : David Wotherpoon

shamo9
26-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Just wanted to acknowledge his performance in what was the only tangible bright spark from today.

David Wotherspoon was night and day the best player on the pitch. The guy has talent. All he needs is to be played in a consistent position (right mid not right back!) and be surrounded by players who can actually deliver the ball in front of him and maybe even move for him as well. He constantly twisted and swiveled past players, only having to try and repeat the feat when no one bothered to make a move for him.

He was very unlucky not to get a couple of goals today, and it was him finally getting an opportunity to run at a fullback out wide that produced our goal. He had the beating of their much bigger left back all day today when he was paired up with him. He simply wanted it more than most on the park, and you could tell that he was really hurting, unlike the emotionless, disinterested and casual Chris Hogg.

Quote of the day was when he played a ball to Liam Miller in the second half... who then promptly scuffed the cross off the first defender: "Give him the ball back, Liam. He's our only good player."

The concerning thing is that only a select few individuals (Wotherpoon, Murray, Riordan, Brown) showed any modicum of emotion or fight as things fell apart. Most of them are past the stage of caring, mere deflated zombies picking up a wage every week.

Bringing in fresh faces (Bryne, Booth, Zemmmama and Duffy) and a signing or two is simply a must, if only to inject some sort of fight and urgency into a team that is now approaching rock bottom.

Sir David Gray
26-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Yep Wotherspoon was good today and didn't deserve to be on the losing side.

He was back to the form that he showed when he first broke into the first team at the start of last season. I do think his confidence took a battering in the latter half of last season when things started to go wrong with the team but long may this kind of performance continue.

Wotherspiniesta
26-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Just wanted to acknowledge his performance in what was the only tangible bright spark from today.

David Wotherspoon was night and day the best player on the pitch. The guy has talent. All he needs is to be played in a consistent position (right mid not right back!) and be surrounded by players who can actually deliver the ball in front of him and maybe even move for him as well. He constantly twisted and swiveled past players, only having to try and repeat the feat when no one bothered to make a move for him.

He was very unlucky not to get a couple of goals today, and it was him finally getting an opportunity to run at a fullback out wide that produced our goal. He had the beating of their much bigger left back all day today when he was paired up with him. He simply wanted it more than most on the park, and you could tell that he was really hurting, unlike the emotionless, disinterested and casual Chris Hogg.

Quote of the day was when he played a ball to Liam Miller in the second half... who then promptly scuffed the cross off the first defender: "Give him the ball back, Liam. He's our only good player."

The concerning thing is that only a select few individuals (Wotherpoon, Murray, Riordan, Brown) showed any modicum of emotion or fight as things fell apart. Most of them are past the stage of caring, mere deflated zombies picking up a wage every week.

Bringing in fresh faces (Bryne, Booth, Zemmmama and Duffy) and a signing or two is simply a must, if only to inject some sort of fight and urgency into a team that is now approaching rock bottom.

:top marks Agree with all of that.

Keep up the good work D! :not worth

lucky
27-12-2010, 12:09 AM
He palyed very well but he should be played as a right midfielder in a flat 4-4-2. Hibs tried to play a diamond shape in midfield today and we were to narrow. He plays his best football when given a chance to get up down the flank

Bonnyrigg H.F.C
27-12-2010, 12:21 AM
He was the only one with the guts to keep looking for the ball.

What I would say is that the best, most consistnt spell he had was when he played right back. Thought he was quality coming on to the play from a
bit deeper, mainly because he is one of the few with the intelligence to read the play.

Albion Hibs
27-12-2010, 02:22 AM
He played well today, and I am delighted to see that.

But as for the above, our only bright spark, lets be honest, it is his first decent game in 2010 - and I dont mean this season, I mean this calendar year.

I hope he pushes on from here would like to see far more of that, consistency is the key to being a player at any level.

Supraninja
27-12-2010, 04:49 AM
It's like he has been due a goal for 15,532 summers. Or 8 summers.

fife hfc
27-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Wotherspoon looks like the only player capable of taking on and beating an opponent. I would play him wide right and give young Booth the left flank. The only problem with that is that Murray and Miller are too slow together and not enough energy so would be easily over run. Therefore get Bamba in midfield to provide a physical presence and athleticism which is sadly lacking.

Wotherspiniesta
27-12-2010, 12:33 PM
He played well today, and I am delighted to see that.

But as for the above, our only bright spark, lets be honest, it is his first decent game in 2010 - and I dont mean this season, I mean this calendar year.

I hope he pushes on from here would like to see far more of that, consistency is the key to being a player at any level.

Forget the rest of the post, but was that first sentence actually a POSITIVE one about Wotherspoon?

"Albion Hibs praises young Hibs player" :shocked:

I'm going for a lie down!

Hibs90
27-12-2010, 12:36 PM
2011 could be a really good year for Wotherspoon :agree:

Keith_M
27-12-2010, 02:11 PM
He really should have been given the MoM award over Murray. What Murray contributed was his usual Blood and Guts performance but Wotherspoon seemed to add the only bits of creativity.

Albion Hibs
27-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Forget the rest of the post, but was that first sentence actually a POSITIVE one about Wotherspoon?

"Albion Hibs praises young Hibs player" :shocked:

I'm going for a lie down!

I actually thought the third line was pretty positive as well!

hibsbollah
27-12-2010, 02:37 PM
He was my definite MOM yesterday.

The difficulty for Calderwood is what to do with Spoony when Zemmama comes back. Although Zemmama had some explosive performances wide right last season, i'd be tempted to leave Wotherspoon wide right and have Zemmama playing in a free role just behind the front two. I'm not sure if thats a formation that Calderwood would go for though...

I'd also be happy if Wotherspoon went back to right back behind Zemmama. The two of them play well together and would give a more attacking option on the flanks than with Hart, who will never go past a defender.

Wotherspiniesta
27-12-2010, 02:47 PM
I actually thought the third line was pretty positive as well!

:aok:

Encouraging young talented Hibs players. Must be Christmas time :greengrin

Albion Hibs
27-12-2010, 02:47 PM
He was my definite MOM yesterday.

The difficulty for Calderwood is what to do with Spoony when Zemmama comes back. Although Zemmama had some explosive performances wide right last season, i'd be tempted to leave Wotherspoon wide right and have Zemmama playing in a free role just behind the front two. I'm not sure if thats a formation that Calderwood would go for though...

I'd also be happy if Wotherspoon went back to right back behind Zemmama. The two of them play well together and would give a more attacking option on the flanks than with Hart, who will never go past a defender.

Interesting that you give it the right back shout, I agree with that. i thought yesterday was his best performance for a long long time. Almost all of his decent play came from situations when he was a bit deeper and had a chance to build up steem. He should have done better with the second of his two chances and probably needs to work on that part of his game.

Hart has not worked out for us to date, maybe a switch with Hart playing in front of Wotherspoon?

The thought of Zuma and Wotherspoon is not one that fills me with joy I think they would get bullied, but at this moment I dont think we would have a problem accommodation both at present!

Albion Hibs
27-12-2010, 02:48 PM
:aok:

Encouraging young talented Hibs players. Must be Christmas time :greengrin

The booze that comes with it being xmas time!