PDA

View Full Version : John rankin

harry-hibee
26-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Spoke to a workmate who is a close friend of John Rankin and he told me that Rankin is looking for a move south, he said he feels that with the young family he has now he needs a club that will give him a more financial security and that Preston NE are the most likely candidates. I was really surprised at this because as far as i am concerned on his performances so far this season i would think he would be lucky to get a club in the SFL, i wonder what you fellow posters think?

Wotherspiniesta
26-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Spoke to a workmate who is a close friend of John Rankin and he told me that Rankin is looking for a move south, he said he feels that with the young family he has now he needs a club that will give him a more financial security and that Preston NE are the most likely candidates. I was really surprised at this because as far as i am concerned on his performances so far this season i would think he would be lucky to get a club in the SFL, i wonder what you fellow posters think?

Rankin's got a great attitude.

Unfortunately he is massively flawed when it comes to the technical side of the game.

I think he'd do a decent job at a lower league SPL team ( I realise that we are a lower league team currently) , but if we want to progress under CC we can't rely on players like Rankin.

As far as moving to the championship, I can't see it. But good luck to him if it's true.

Diclonius
26-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Interesting to note that Rankin will more than likely hit 100 league appearances for Hibs this season, provided he doesn't leave in January.

He's no wage thief, he gives his all and has given us a couple breathtaking moments - squiggler, anyone? - but his technical ability at this level is mediocre at best and a move away is probably the best option for both parties.

steakbake
26-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Rankin gets too much undeserved criticism. There are several charlatans in the squad but he ain't one of then. I hope he gets his move to a more receptive and supportive club.

Ernie Cobra
26-12-2010, 12:50 AM
bye bye john, thanks for the squiggler......but not the 342 ties you tried it after:wink:

RickyS
26-12-2010, 01:35 AM
bye bye john, thanks for the squiggler......but not the 342 ties you tried it after:wink:

whats the old saying.......One swallow doesn't make a summer?

good luck in your "south" journey got a feeling you won't be there long

BroxburnHibee
26-12-2010, 08:37 AM

If he thinks he can get more money elsewhere then I pray he takes it.

A couple of great goals doesn't make a player.

Good luck to him but I'll not miss him.

Hakim Sar
26-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Maybe he could sign for Queen of the South? or the reincarnation of Gretna? One of the poorest players I have seen in my life and not worth paying money to go and watch.

BigKev
26-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Rankin gets too much undeserved criticism. There are several charlatans in the squad but he ain't one of then. I hope he gets his move to a more receptive and supportive club.

I agree.

Some of the abuse he receives is entirely unjustified. If the rest of the current squad had his attitude we wouldn't be languishing in the lower reaches of the SPL.

Not the most gifted but never gives less that 100%

Saorsa
26-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Preston :hilarious I'd have thought they'd be trying tae sign players capable of keeping them up or at least getting them back up if they go down.

Rankin might get a game for Preston if they drop three seasons running :greengrin but personally I couldnae care where he goes as long as he's no here :bye:

DC_Hibs
26-12-2010, 09:16 AM
I agree.

Some of the abuse he receives is entirely unjustified. If the rest of the current squad had his attitude we wouldn't be languishing in the lower reaches of the SPL.

Not the most gifted but never gives less that 100%

I couldnt give a monkeys what type of attitude he has, I base my opinion on players ability first and foremost. You can of course feel free to be content with mediocrity and finishing in lower half of a dreadful league.

Rankin wasnt even a stand out at ICT and should never have been signed. How this guy was at Man Utd I will never know.

I would never abuse him but happy to air my views on a messageboard.

He will thankfully be one of the many cleared out.....and I wouldnt be surprised to see him sign for Preston (Athletic)

Cracking post by the way!!

IWasThere2016
26-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Good luck to him but we need someone who is a) more consistant and b) better with the ball

blackpoolhibs
26-12-2010, 09:26 AM
I couldnt give a monkeys what type of attitude he has, I base my opinion on players ability first and foremost. You can of course feel free to be content with mediocrity and finishing in lower half of a dreadful league.

Rankin wasnt even a stand out at ICT and should never have been signed. How this guy was at Man Utd I will never know.

I would never abuse him but happy to air my views on a messageboard.

He will thankfully be one of the many cleared out.....and I wouldnt be surprised to see him sign for Preston (Athletic)

Cracking post by the way!!

:top marks :agree::agree:

stubru59
26-12-2010, 09:37 AM

If there's any truth in this, the game is in a worst state than I thought.

Running around like a headless chicken would now be seen as an attribute worth paying money for.

Best of luck to the lad, and any team that takes him on.

Hibernia Na Eir
26-12-2010, 09:38 AM
this is great news :greengrin

.Sean.
26-12-2010, 10:03 AM
If Rankin does depart next month, it'll be with my best wishes. I've met him a couple times and he seems a thoroughly decent guy, and a model pro. He's not the most technically gifted player in the squad, but he's never posted missing, gives his all and has gave the club a few great moments. There are several tossers currently at the club i'd happily see emptied before JR, particularly the knobheads masquerading as professional athletes you find up the town at the weekend.

lucky
26-12-2010, 10:21 AM
JR gives his all every time he plays, unfortunately that is not enough. He is technically very poor and contributes little in most games. However i wish him every success going forward and away from Hibs

Winston Ingram
26-12-2010, 01:30 PM

The only thing that is going south is his form.

If we give this imposter a new contract I'll not renew. I'm not paying anymore money to watch him

RickyS
26-12-2010, 06:11 PM
The only thing that is going south is his form.

If we give this imposter a new contract I'll not renew. I'm not paying anymore money to watch him
:top marks him and the rest of the ******* can get to ****

Judas Iscariot
26-12-2010, 06:13 PM
I'd actually carry this useless wee **** down south, barefoot!

Terrible, terrible, terrible person..

He's never a footballer :bye:

Wotherspiniesta
26-12-2010, 06:16 PM

Is there any need in that?

He's a crap footballer, hardly a "terrible person"

KiddA
26-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Preston NE :rotflmao::hilarious:rotflmao::hilarious oh ma sides He is living in a world of make believe if he honestly thinks he will get a move there. sfl player at best but who would want him :dunno:

Judas Iscariot
26-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Is there any need in that?

He's a crap footballer, hardly a "terrible person"

If you put your scrapbook of JR down for a minute you might realise I worded it that way as I don't think you can class RANKin as a footballer..

Wotherspiniesta
26-12-2010, 06:25 PM
If you put your scrapbook of JR down for a minute you might realise I worded it that way as I don't think you can class RANKin as a footballer..

What are you on about? :confused:

zlatan
26-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Preston Athletic you mean, right?

RickyS
26-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Preston NE :rotflmao::hilarious:rotflmao::hilarious oh ma sides He is living in a world of make believe if he honestly thinks he will get a move there. sfl player at best but who would want him :dunno:

they all are, they think they are footballers

Judas Iscariot
26-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Preston Athletic you mean, right?

Prestonpans amatuers more likely

mcfly
26-12-2010, 06:55 PM

this guy has an inflate idea about his quality.

he is keek - get rid CC

PaulSmith
26-12-2010, 06:56 PM
I'll send my ST back if Rankin get's a new contract, I mean what's the point if this is what our manager see's as a player to take us forward.

Winston Ingram
26-12-2010, 08:38 PM
I'll send my ST back if Rankin get's a new contract, I mean what's the point if this is what our manager see's as a player to take us forward.

I'm with you on that one:agree:

Hiber-nation
26-12-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm with you on that one:agree:

I'm saying that now, same with Nish. I won't do it but I'll be writing one of these fruitless e-mails to Petrie.

Hibs Class
26-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I've been a regular defender of Rankin and have always appreciated the fact that he doesn't hide. But today I wish he'd hidden, in the dressing room or at home, because he contributed more than most to us taking nothing from the game.

greenlex
26-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Interesting to read the comments on this thread and the players ratings thread.
I didnt think Rankin had a great game but conversely I didnt think he was as bad as the comments on both threads merit.

I just watched the game on Alba and noted down the following stats for Rankin.

Passes attempted 33 with 30 finding their intended target. 90%
Corners /crosses attempted 7 with 4 finding a Hibs man 57%
Tackles 5. He won none of them and gave away 2 free kicks. 0%
Shots made 1 which was not on target 0%
Clearances attempted 4 with 3 successful. 75% (the third one led to their 2nd goal but IMO was more unlucky than unskillful trying to save the corner.
Headers challenged were 2 where he acually won one of them sio thats a 50%.

So in short not as bad as made out.(again) IMO.
Maybe some might want to delete their comments but I doubt it.

I'm_cabbaged
26-12-2010, 09:57 PM
I didnt think Rankin had a great game but conversely I didnt think he was as bad as the comments on both threads merit.

Clearances attempted 4 with 3 successful. 75% (the third one led to their 2nd goal but IMO was more unlucky than unskillful trying to save the corner.

Are you on crack?

"Tackles 5. He won none of them and gave away 2 free kicks. 0%"

Says it all for a midfielder.

Newhaven
26-12-2010, 10:01 PM

Well 10/10 for watching that keek again first of all..

Sadly players like Hogg, Nish and Rankin are the type of players we have at ER just now.

Nice guys, great pros, do a lot of work for charity etc. but when the going gets tough they get going (and in Hogg's case pronto up the tunnel at full time)

If he joins Preston I hope they can utilise his media relation skills in selling season tickets and telling us all how 'the boys are hurting and we can do better :aok:)

Gash player and one goal against Rangers or Celtic every blue moon doesn't change that..

greenlex
26-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Are you on crack?

"Tackles 5. He won none of them and gave away 2 free kicks. 0%"

Says it all for a midfielder.
Why do you ask if I am on crack?
There are numerous comments about his ability with the ball.
He obviously cant tackle but there is more to breaking up play than just flying into a tackle. He closes play down and prevents forward passes a fair old bit but that is actually subjective as opposed to an actual play like a tackle so doesnt count stat wise.

greenlex
26-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Well 10/10 for watching that keek again first of all..

Sadly players like Hogg, Nish and Rankin are the type of players we have at ER just now.

Nice guys, great pros, do a lot of work for charity etc. but when the going gets tough they get going (and in Hogg's case pronto up the tunnel at full time)

If he joins Preston I hope they can utilise his media relation skills in selling season tickets and telling us all how 'the boys are hurting and we can do better :aok:)

Gash player and one goal against Rangers or Celtic every blue moon doesn't change that..

Well you see Barry I dont think he is a world beater either but do get pissed off with all the football managers on here that slag him off on a weekly basis. I am 100% sure there are better players out there but they dont play for Hibs at the moment so he is what we have. He is not Gash but I suppose thats a matter of opinion. I wonder what real managers actually see in him that the messageboard/ terracing ones miss?
No world beater but he plays for Hibs and does not deserve the stick he gets.

I'm_cabbaged
26-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Why do you ask if I am on crack?
There are numerous comments about his ability with the ball.
He obviously cant tackle but there is more to breaking up play than just flying into a tackle. He closes play down and prevents forward passes a fair old bit but that is actually subjective as opposed to an actual play like a tackle so doesnt count stat wise.

Why do ask?

"He obviously can't tackle"

He's a ***** midfielder FFS, so when you can't tackle and can't make passes that are longer than 5 yards you're pretty ***** in my eyes.

greenlex
26-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Why do ask?

"He obviously can't tackle"

He's a ***** midfielder FFS, so when you can't tackle and can't make passes that are longer than 5 yards you're pretty ***** in my eyes.
Thats the team problem though cabbaged the only midfielder we have that actually can tackle is Murray. Rankin is an easy target in that respect. Wotherspoon is getting praise but is no better IMO. Miller the same although there is not much praise today to be fair. Deeks when he is playing midfield is again someone who cant tackle. Thats the problem not just Rankin.

Newhaven
26-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Well you see Barry I dont think he is a world beater either but do get pissed off with all the football managers on here that slag him off on a weekly basis. I am 100% sure there are better players out there but they dont play for Hibs at the moment so he is what we have. He is not Gash but I suppose thats a matter of opinion. I wonder what real managers actually see in him that the messageboard/ terracing ones miss?
No world beater but he plays for Hibs and does not deserve the stick he gets.

Fair enough Lex but with his maturity and games played for hibs I would hope for more from him in games and especially when were now in a relegation dogfight.

I dont know what managers have seen form him in the past and until recently I was a fan of JR but having kept a closer eye on him recently I can no longer defend some of the performances he's putting in whilst playing for hibs.

Nice guy (like Hogg) but give me a battler and a midfield spoiler anyday :agree:

greenlex
26-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Fair enough Lex but with his maturity and games played for hibs I would hope for more from him in games and especially when were now in a relegation dogfight.

I dont know what managers have seen form him in the past and until recently I was a fan of JR but having kept a closer eye on him recently I can no longer defend some of the performances he's putting in whilst playing for hibs.

Nice guy (like Hogg) but give me a battler and a midfield spoiler anyday :agree:
Me too but we dont have one. Out of the midfielders available he (for me anyway ) would be first pick.

matty_f
26-12-2010, 10:47 PM

I get the point that you're making but IMHO, stats like these are half the problem. Back in the day a manager could watch a game and see that a player was pish. Now if he has that opinion it can be changed when he looks back on ProZone or whatever it's called.

It's not just about Rankin, but a stat about how many passes were completed doesn't tell you much, did any of them count, did any of them complete but put the receiving player in trouble, etc. There will be a stat saying a player has covered more ground, or put in more tackles, or whatever.

These stats cloud judgement on performances IMHO, they don't back them up. We used to hear about how good Brian Kerr's stats were, and he was pish!

Football isn't about stats, it's much more than that.

IMHO, it's like the bit in Star Wars when Luke is about to try and blow up the Death Star - he's got a targeting computer that will tell him when he should shoot, but he doesn't use it. Instead he goes with the Force and uses his gut instinct to get the right result.:greengrin

Stats are like that targeting computer, will tell you so much but sometimes you need to see past it.

At The Edge
26-12-2010, 10:59 PM
I get the point that you're making but IMHO, stats like these are half the problem. Back in the day a manager could watch a game and see that a player was pish. Now if he has that opinion it can be changed when he looks back on ProZone or whatever it's called.

It's not just about Rankin, but a stat about how many passes were completed doesn't tell you much, did any of them count, did any of them complete but put the receiving player in trouble, etc. There will be a stat saying a player has covered more ground, or put in more tackles, or whatever.

These stats cloud judgement on performances IMHO, they don't back them up. We used to hear about how good Brian Kerr's stats were, and he was pish!

IMHO, it's like the bit in Star Wars when Luke is about to try and blow up the Death Star - he's got a targeting computer that will tell him when he should shoot, but he doesn't use it. Instead he goes with the Force and uses his gut instinct to get the right result.:greengrin

Stats are like that targeting computer, will tell you so much but sometimes you need to see past it.

:top marks for getting Star Wars into a thread about John Rankin. we certainly could do with Obi Wan, you are our only hope :wink:

:thumbsup:

greenlex
26-12-2010, 11:09 PM

You are absolutely correct Matty.
I only did it as I didnt think he was worth the zero he was getting on the ratings thread, The horrible horrible person comments and the wage thief comments. Never a footballer comments from folks who probably couldnt kick the snaw of a dyke make me laugh too.
He is far from ideal but is one of the best we have and doesnt deserve the **** that is spewed on here.
May the force be with Colin for the remainder of the season and the next one too.

matty_f
26-12-2010, 11:11 PM
I only did it as I didnt think he was worth the zero he was getting on the ratings thread, The horrible horrible person comments and the wage thief comments. Never a footballer comments from folks who probably couldnt kick the snaw of a dyke make me laugh too.
He is far from ideal but is one of the best we have and doesnt deserve the **** that is spewed on here.
May the force be with Colin for the remainder of the season and the next one too.
:thumbsup:

PaulSmith
26-12-2010, 11:17 PM

You're right, neither him, Hogg, Nish et all should get personal abuse but having now sat through 3 years of watching these kind of players it would seem that the club are unable to see what is so obvious to everyone who watches Hibs week in/week out and this frustration is coming to a head at the games/or on here.

If Hogg decides tonight that he wants to leave after today's booing of him, then good.

If Rankin decides to read this within the luxury confines of East Mains (in between some chef cooking his second meal of the day and a relaxing massage) and realises that he's on a losing battle then good.

If someone close to Nish decides to say "Hey big man, you know what you're better off out of there" then good.

If Calderwood decides to offer any of these 3 new contracts then I'll reserve the right to walk away as well.

matty_f
26-12-2010, 11:23 PM
You're right, neither him, Hogg, Nish et all should get personal abuse but having now sat through 3 years of watching these kind of players it would seem that the club are unable to see what is so obvious to everyone who watches Hibs week in/week out and this frustration is coming to a head at the games/or on here.

If Hogg decides tonight that he wants to leave after today's booing of him, then good.

If Rankin decides to read this within the luxury confines of East Mains (in between some chef cooking his second meal of the day and a relaxing massage) and realises that he's on a losing battle then good.

If someone close to Nish decides to say "Hey big man, you know what you're better off out of there" then good.

If Calderwood decides to offer any of these 3 new contracts then I'll reserve the right to walk away as well.

I tend to agree with that as well. It's hugely frustrating to think that there is an opportunity to say thanks and cheerio to players who are continuously getting found out at this level, only for us to invest more money in the very same players.

Don't think I'm quite at the stage of refusing to renew my season ticket, but I can definitely see how you could be.:agree:

Andy74
26-12-2010, 11:23 PM

Aye. If we are serious about moving on a bit the we will never, ever do it with these guys.

If these guys are still here for any length of time then you couldn't blame any fans who took that as confirmation that nothing will change and not to bother continuing to turn up.

fatbloke
26-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Preston :hilarious I'd have thought they'd be trying tae sign players capable of keeping them up or at least getting them back up if they go down.

Rankin might get a game for Preston if they drop three seasons running :greengrin but personally I couldnae care where he goes as long as he's no here :bye:

Why would Preston Athletic sign Rankin. He is not East of Scotland league class.:greengrin

greenlex
26-12-2010, 11:24 PM

Care to expand on this thought process? What makes you think the guys running the club are any happier than you or I at the way things seem to be going?

PaulSmith
26-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Care to expand on this thought process? What makes you think the guys running the club are any happier than you or I at the way things seem to be going?

No probs, if I were CEO or Chairman and i'd watched these guys for the last 3 years and the new manager said to me that he wanted to offer them a new 3 year deals then A) i'd know instantly that I'd appointed the wrong manager B) I'd ask if he was having a effin laugh. C) I'd be aware commercially of the impact of re-signing these 3 (as an example)

Of course they'll be gutted, their business plan is falling to pieces by their inability to get a winning team on the park.

There is no leadership at Easter road, none, zip.. We're given a comment twice a year from the board and one is at the AGM and the other when we introduce another manager that will turn the club around.

silverhibee
26-12-2010, 11:46 PM

Preston NE watched Rankin play at Killie last week.

AFKA5814_Hibs
26-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Nae offence to the guy and I hope he get a decent move, but one of many players who Hibs need to move on.

Time to move on. :agree:

greenlex
26-12-2010, 11:51 PM
No probs, if I were CEO or Chairman and i'd watched these guys for the last 3 years and the new manager said to me that he wanted to offer them a new 3 year deals then A) i'd know instantly that I'd appointed the wrong manager B) I'd ask if he was having a effin laugh. C) I'd be aware commercially of the impact of re-signing these 3 (as an example)

Of course they'll be gutted, their business plan is falling to pieces by their inability to get a winning team on the park.

There is no leadership at Easter road, none, zip.. We're given a comment twice a year from the board and one is at the AGM and the other when we introduce another manager that will turn the club around.

Paul I am hoping that when CC was interviewed/offered the job that he was made aware exactly what was required and that he knew he would be able to have a clearout in the Summer. I hope thats one of the big deciding factors in him taking the gig. I think Jan will see a couple of loans to see us stay up and then a fresh start in the Summer. There will be one or two that are out of contract in the Summer that will be retained but hopefully if they are on decent wages they are renegotiated if needed. We will still need squad type players afterall.

BroxburnHibee
26-12-2010, 11:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD89wjUQZCw

lucky
27-12-2010, 12:01 AM

Paul your spot on. If any of these 3 get new deals it will definitely have a negative effect on our 1st division season ticket sales.

Hibbie_Cameron
27-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Prestonpans amatuers more likely

Exactly what i thought when i first read this thread

RickyS
27-12-2010, 12:03 AM

I hope the scout was impressed more than I was and that PNE have a midfield crisis that needs sorted next month

monktonharp
27-12-2010, 01:09 AM
Spoke to a workmate who is a close friend of John Rankin and he told me that Rankin is looking for a move south, he said he feels that with the young family he has now he needs a club that will give him a more financial security and that Preston NE are the most likely candidates. I was really surprised at this because as far as i am concerned on his performances so far this season i would think he would be lucky to get a club in the SFL, i wonder what you fellow posters think?have not read anymore than 2 comments to your OP,but I'd like to add mine and say,I personally think Rankin is pish and i'd like to see him off sharpish. there,I'VE SAID IT, AND THAT'S WITHOUT ANY REAL PEEVE IN ME.END OFF

monktonharp
27-12-2010, 01:14 AM
have not read anymore than 2 comments to your OP,but I'd like to add mine and say,I personally think Rankin is pish and i'd like to see him f/ck off sharpish. there,I'VE SAID IT, AND THAT'S WITHOUT ANY REAL PEEVE IN ME.END OFF decided to read one or two more posts,and thank christ,I'm not alone. bye JR yer time's up:na na:

3pm
27-12-2010, 01:40 AM

He must have the best agent ever if he got PNE to come and watch.

I defended the guy a few weeks back - he's not 'Hibs class' but he was never going to turn us down when he got the offer. Unfortunately though, we have to tolerate watching him.

Winston Ingram
27-12-2010, 10:05 AM
He must have the best agent ever if he got PNE to come and watch.

I defended the guy a few weeks back - he's not 'Hibs class' but he was never going to turn us down when he got the offer. Unfortunately though, we have to tolerate watching him.

I doubt they have been to watch him cos if they had they'd have left after 25 mins if that.

Instead,I think what he has is a very good, thorough and patient video editor who sits through all his sclaffs,duffs, miskicks, overhit/underhit set pieces, fresh air shots & radge decision making to sift out the odd good pass, tackle & shot. As JR is now later in his 20's the guy must have at least 2 mins worth of footage:agree:

IWasThere2016
27-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Instead,I think what he has is a very good, thorough and patient video editor who sits through all his sclaffs,duffs, miskicks, overhit/underhit set pieces, fresh air shots & radge decision making to sift out the odd good pass, tackle & shot. As JR is now later in his 20's the guy must have at least 2 mins worth of footage:agree:

:faf: Excellent.

Judas Iscariot
27-12-2010, 11:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD89wjUQZCw

He takes it too far every time he pulls on the sacred jersey

Ed De Gramo
27-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Wasn't the worst midfielder yesterday...

Holmesdale Hibs
27-12-2010, 05:29 PM

I agree with all the posts complementing Rankin's attitude. That's the reason he's made it so far with limited ability.

I think he's maybe worth holding on to as a squad player but not good enough to be a first team regular.

He was at fault for the sheeps second goal yesterday and didn't have a great game. But apart from a few who get pass marks (Murray, Wotherspoon, riordan) it's difficult to single him out for criticism and certainly no where near the worst player to pull on the jersey.

I'm not bothered at all if he leaves and we won't miss him. But, because of his attitude, he would leave with my best wishes.

Winston Ingram
27-12-2010, 07:19 PM

He was. He may run around but he was ****in abysmal. I know it wasn't Miller's best game but I bet you he got more passes on target yesterday than Rankin has done all season