PDA

View Full Version : Canon Hannan Bust

Baldy Foghorn
23-12-2010, 06:55 PM
I have been at a couple of fundraisers in order to raise money to make a bust of Canon Hannan for display in West Stand.

Can any of the committee if they post on here, give an update on the current situation, i.e. was enough money raised? Is this bust made? When will it be available to see on display?

Much appreciated for any information.

CRAZYHIBBY
23-12-2010, 09:13 PM
What about a statue of Hannons Canon:greengrin

Vini1875
23-12-2010, 10:55 PM
I don't know anything about a bust for Cannon Hannan but I do that these things cost and absolute fortune. Thousands rather than hundreds. Fundraising events among various fan groups don't make huge amounts and the initial enthusasium can soon drain away when the anormity of the job is discovered.

RickyS
23-12-2010, 11:25 PM
not a committee member myself but I do get kept up to date with the situation, I am told that the bust has been done and we are not far away from seeing it on display. Don't know if the display area has been decided but the people involved and St Patricks are the guys who should be congratulated as they have done all the work and raised the cash.
I think we should be doing more as a club to promote our unique history.

big-mo
25-12-2010, 08:56 AM
The bust of Canon Hannan has been completed (see avatar) and the full cost has been raised, many thanks to those who contributed. The bust is life size and was cast in bronze, it is mounted on a piece of marble which originally formed part of the alter in St Patrick’s Church in the Cowgate, this in turn is mounted on a hardwood base. The bust was sculpted by a talented young artist who is a season ticket holder in the East Stand. The cost of the bust was paid for from fund-raising events organised by the St Paul’s branch of the Hibs Supporters Association.

The bust is to be presented to the club in the near future but dates are still to be arranged with the fund raising committee, the board and Sir Tom. The bust will be displayed in the main reception area of the stadium before being moved to a permanent home in the museum area of the stadium.

A second bust of Michael Whelahan is also to be made and will be placed next to Canon Hannan, fund raising for this one will start in the new year. More details later.

gorgie_harp
25-12-2010, 09:27 AM
The bust of Canon Hannan has been completed (see avatar) and the full cost has been raised, many thanks to those who contributed. The bust is life size and was cast in bronze, it is mounted on a piece of marble which originally formed part of the alter in St Patrick’s Church in the Cowgate, this in turn is mounted on a hardwood base. The bust was sculpted by a talented young artist who is a season ticket holder in the East Stand. The cost of the bust was paid for from fund-raising events organised by the St Paul’s branch of the Hibs Supporters Association.

The bust is to be presented to the club in the near future but dates are still to be arranged with the fund raising committee, the board and Sir Tom. The bust will be displayed in the main reception area of the stadium before being moved to a permanent home in the museum area of the stadium.

A second bust of Michael Whelahan is also to be made and will be placed next to Canon Hannan, fund raising for this one will start in the new year. More details later.

:clapper::top marks

Baldy Foghorn
25-12-2010, 11:06 AM

The bust looks absolutely amazing. Well done to all involved in this, and a big well done to the artist, who is obviously a talented man.....:top marks

Big Frank
25-12-2010, 11:08 AM

Superb.

When the Whelahan is to be made, get the admins to stickie the thread. We should all try and contribute something :agree:

StevieC
25-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Serves him right for twisting on 19!

:wink:

Saorsa
25-12-2010, 01:58 PM

A second bust of Michael Whelahan is also to be made and will be placed next to Canon Hannan, fund raising for this one will start in the new year. More details later.:top marks

Superb.

When the Whelahan is to be made, get the admins to stickie the thread. We should all try and contribute something :agree::agree:

I would have contributed tae the other one but knew nothing of it, I'll certainly put a few quid in for the next one :agree:

Vini1875
25-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Well done to those involved.

The Harp Awakes
25-12-2010, 10:14 PM

Great news and well done to all. If it weren't for Canon Hannan's and Michael Whelehan's determination there would be no Hibs. They are the heart and soul of Hibernian and their spirit lives on in our supporters today. Glory Glory to the Hibees:flag:

Boris
27-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Glad to hear that something is moving as regards an official acceptance & unveiling of the bust which from the picture & description on this thread certainly seems to be a wonderful piece of work.

I have to say I was a bit concerned over whether the club would accept the bust as there seemed to be a reluctance on the club's part to acknowledge Canon Hannan - possibly as there is a wish to avoid (which I understand) being seen as a "little Celtic" & partly because I understand that the club view is that Canon (or Father as he was in 1875) Hannan had no involvement at all in the actual foundation of Hibernian & only took an interest several months after the foundation.:confused:

Iggy Pope
27-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Glad to hear that something is moving as regards an official acceptance & unveiling of the bust which from the picture & description on this thread certainly seems to be a wonderful piece of work.

I have to say I was a bit concerned over whether the club would accept the bust as there seemed to be a reluctance on the club's part to acknowledge Canon Hannan - possibly as there is a wish to avoid (which I understand) being seen as a "little Celtic" & partly because I understand that the club view is that Canon (or Father as he was in 1875) Hannan had no involvement at all in the actual foundation of Hibernian & only took an interest several months after the foundation.:confused:

Seems strange as I thought the club was well represented when St Pat's celebrated 150 years at the Cowgate a few years ago and also when Canon Hannan's resting place in the Grange Cemetery was marked a couple of years back?
Also horrible to think that we would be seen as pandering to Celtic for simply recognising our heritage, our ancestry.

I also recall that the club received the Edinburgh Cup and Edinburgh Reserve Cup (Held at St Pats since the 1870-80s, when world domination loomed of course), from the church a couple of years back?

Maybe it was more Historical Trust than club and if that's the case they need a shake and I am surprised at STF - maybe he's more of a Star of the Sea man?

We need Alan Lugton on these boards.

The bust though, looks splendid and must get it's rightful place at the Holy Ground. If anything needs done with one for Michael Whelehan then count me in.

Boris
28-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Fair point re club's involvement in St Patrick's 150th celebrations. The restoration of Canon Hannan's gravestone was principally down to the Historical Trust - with I should add, the full backing of the club - I can state that categorically as I was one of the two members of the Historical Trust principally involved in the project. I won't name the other person on here as I'm not sure if he posts on here or not but suffice to say he was the man that worked the hardest to put it all together & while I'm probably bias I think it was probably the most important thing the Historical Trust has done to date. Neither of us are involved with the Trust any longer.

I thought it was rather strange that the club (or was it a committee?) chose not to induct Canon Hannan into the Hall of Fame at the first dinner yet did include Michael Whelahan - surely they were both obvious choices in that both are regarded as the founders of the club.

I understand though that there is a school of thought within the club now that Canon Hannan did not in fact come on board until after the club was up & running. In fact, while carrying out some research in the Edinburgh Room at the Central Library a few months back I overheard a gentleman asking the librarian about maps as he wanted to establish where Hibernian's original ground was. We got chatting - he was from Glasgow & was researching the influence that Hibs had on the foundation of Celtic - and I got his email address & sent him a map I had showing the location of the original Hibernian Park. In return he sent me copies of the minutes from Catholic Church archives which could be seen as suggesting Canon Hannan only became aware of Hibs after several months but they could be read in a number of ways as they are rather sketchy. Now I'm not a Catholic but I would have thought that in the Catholic area of Edinburgh in the 1870's there would have been nothing going on of any consequence that the parish priest didn't know about?

Anyway, as I said in my original post, if the club are now moving on accepting & displaying the bust at long last then great. If not, then maybe we need the "debate" out in the open?

Couldn't agree more with the other comment regarding Alan Lugton's involvement - nobody knows more about the early days of the club & not sure why he has never been asked to be involved with the Trust.

oregonhibby
28-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I think it is a great move in creating the bust and the Club accepting it. Also the creation of one for Whelahan will ensure the genesis of the Club is represented and honoured.

I don't think anyone has any doubts whatsoever that the church and Hannan in particular had a pivotal role in the beginning, indeed the sustainability at the time, of Hibernian. I also think that the football team was probably created before August 1875 as a bunch of lads no doubt got together to play football in the Meadows. What is clear is that without Hannan, the Church, Whelahan, the other players and CYMS that Hibernian would not be here today - or highly unlikely.

I too have digitised copies of the minutes I paid for and obtained from the Scottish Catholic Archive. That is the minutes for every meeting from before the "official" founding date to the first mention of Hibernian some months later. My reading and the reading of the people at the archive is that it was some time before an "enquiry" was asked to be made into Hibernian by Cannon Hannan. However, this is not important in the wider appreciation of our history as it is completely intertwined and to deny it would be like denying who your parents were. And is it so important to be there on day one? What is more important is what he did for the Club over the longer period.

As for little Celtic, who cares, we are a modern football club that must accept its heritage and move forward. I for one would hate to see some of the antics that have gone on in the name of supporting Celtic ever happening at Hibernian.

Just my view.

Boris
28-12-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't think anyone has any doubts whatsoever that the church and Hannan in particular had a pivotal role in the beginning, indeed the sustainability at the time, of Hibernian. I also think that the football team was probably created before August 1875 as a bunch of lads no doubt got together to play football in the Meadows. What is clear is that without Hannan, the Church, Whelahan, the other players and CYMS that Hibernian would not be here today - or highly unlikely.

As for little Celtic, who cares, we are a modern football club that must accept its heritage and move forward. I for one would hate to see some of the antics that have gone on in the name of supporting Celtic ever happening at Hibernian.

Just my view.

Agree 100% with your views on the club's beginning with the date of 6 August 1875 simply being the date that things were formalised. Also in total agreement with your views on "little Celtic". I liaised with the Catholic Church hierarchy & St Patrick's over Canon Hannan's memorial repair & rededication & I was absolutely delighted when Father Hone of St Patrick's suggested that he include a colleague (Rev.Bunting) from the Protestant faith as a mark of respect to the modern Hibernian.

I see where you're coming from re the minutes as well but still find it difficult to believe that the parish priest wouldn't have had a handle on what was happening with his parishioners at the time in respect of the football team, especially with the direct connection to the CYMS.

There's the situation suggested by the minutes & there's the situation as set out in Alan Lugton's book. Maybe the definitive answer lays in the club's applications to join the Edinburgh FA & the SFA - if these were signed or counter-signed by Father Hannan (as he was then) then that might lay any doubt to rest. I wonder if any record of them remains, possibly in SFA archives or minutes?

Whichever view you take re Canon Hannan, you are spot on regarding his influence on the early days of the club - whether he was in at the start or not - so lets see the club accepting the bust & displaying it in a prominent position.

Iggy Pope
28-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Fair point re club's involvement in St Patrick's 150th celebrations. The restoration of Canon Hannan's gravestone was principally down to the Historical Trust - with I should add, the full backing of the club - I can state that categorically as I was one of the two members of the Historical Trust principally involved in the project. I won't name the other person on here as I'm not sure if he posts on here or not but suffice to say he was the man that worked the hardest to put it all together & while I'm probably bias I think it was probably the most important thing the Historical Trust has done to date. Neither of us are involved with the Trust any longer.

I thought it was rather strange that the club (or was it a committee?) chose not to induct Canon Hannan into the Hall of Fame at the first dinner yet did include Michael Whelahan - surely they were both obvious choices in that both are regarded as the founders of the club.

I understand though that there is a school of thought within the club now that Canon Hannan did not in fact come on board until after the club was up & running. In fact, while carrying out some research in the Edinburgh Room at the Central Library a few months back I overheard a gentleman asking the librarian about maps as he wanted to establish where Hibernian's original ground was. We got chatting - he was from Glasgow & was researching the influence that Hibs had on the foundation of Celtic - and I got his email address & sent him a map I had showing the location of the original Hibernian Park. In return he sent me copies of the minutes from Catholic Church archives which could be seen as suggesting Canon Hannan only became aware of Hibs after several months but they could be read in a number of ways as they are rather sketchy. Now I'm not a Catholic but I would have thought that in the Catholic area of Edinburgh in the 1870's there would have been nothing going on of any consequence that the parish priest didn't know about?

Anyway, as I said in my original post, if the club are now moving on accepting & displaying the bust at long last then great. If not, then maybe we need the "debate" out in the open?

Couldn't agree more with the other comment regarding Alan Lugton's involvement - nobody knows more about the early days of the club & not sure why he has never been asked to be involved with the Trust.

Have to say I thought thar the Trust was a great idea at the outset and long overdue - I could never understand why they didn't set up a subscription for interested benefactors and I still can't.
I went to a packed fundraising Trust dinner at the stadium a few years ago. The late Bob Crampsey attended. A lot of money was raised through auction and I firmly believed it would strengthen from there.
Now, other than Tom Wright who seems to remain involved (?) as he seems to be central in pulling the exhibitions together, but I have no idea who else is.
Am I right in saying that the club itself has donated artefacts to the Trust?
It all seems a bit disjointed and I hope that the installation of the bust provides fresh impetus.
If not, then you're right - it needs open debate.

Boris
28-12-2010, 09:12 PM

Yes, they did indeed. We set the Historical Trust up as a registered charity (which it still is) & the club signed over all the memorabilia & artefacts it holds to the Trust. There is a legal safeguard clause built in to ensure that if anything happens to the Trust the ownership of the various artefacts defaults back to the club.

oregonhibby
29-12-2010, 05:01 AM
[/QUOTE]Now, other than Tom Wright who seems to remain involved (?) as he seems to be central in pulling the exhibitions together, but I have no idea who else is.
It all seems a bit disjointed and I hope that the installation of the bust provides fresh impetus.
If not, then you're right - it needs open debate.[/QUOTE]

HHT has a website that shows who the Trustees are, although there are about 5 other volunteers. This years exhibition is on the development of Easter Road, publicised here and attended by several hundred people.

Drop a note to Ian Young if you are interested. It is people who volunteer their time and anyone who can commit would be most welcome.

My understanding is that the bust has not been organised by the Trust but would be a very welcome addition.