PDA

View Full Version : Matches behind closed doors?

Jamesie
21-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Interesting to see the Edinburgh - Castres rugby game was played behind closed doors on Monday, the weather having caused the surrounding area to be unsafe for spectators on Sunday and with no chance of an improvement overnight.

The cynic in me suggests that Edinburgh's expected gate receipts (they average about 3,000 - 4,000 fans per game and thus a Monday afternoon would have seen that diminish substantially) weren't sufficient to justify the outlay incurred in clearing the streets and stadium. I also wonder how much the fact that the opponents had travelled from France had to play in the decision.

But it did leave me thinking - if the weather doesn't improve until into the spring and if there is little appetite for extending the season, could we start to see teams having to play minus their fans? :confused:

hibeedonald
21-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Interesting to see the Edinburgh - Castres rugby game was played behind closed doors on Monday, the weather having caused the surrounding area to be unsafe for spectators on Sunday and with no chance of an improvement overnight.

The cynic in me suggests that Edinburgh's expected gate receipts (they average about 3,000 - 4,000 fans per game and thus a Monday afternoon would have seen that diminish substantially) weren't sufficient to justify the outlay incurred in clearing the streets and stadium. I also wonder how much the fact that the opponents had travelled from France had to play in the decision.

But it did leave me thinking - if the weather doesn't improve until into the spring and if there is little appetite for extending the season, could we start to see teams having to play minus their fans? :confused:

nope, season ticket holders would accept that

Toaods
21-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Insurance job...:confused:

wazoo1875
21-12-2010, 06:15 PM

Don't think they had many options jamesie, i'm sure i heard at the weekend that if heinekin cup fixtures weren't fulfilled then the home team would forfeit the 3 points.

I think it was the Wasps game at adams park in wycombe where the game was going ahead but fans were advised to stay away. I think about 4,000 still turned up.

Hamish
21-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Sure I saw that the Sale v Brive game was played at Gala

Jamesie
21-12-2010, 06:39 PM

Quite sure that Edinburgh Rugby would have a few disgruntled season ticket holders demanding refunds today!

Jamesie
21-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Don't think they had many options jamesie, i'm sure i heard at the weekend that if heinekin cup fixtures weren't fulfilled then the home team would forfeit the 3 points.

That explains it then.

LancashireHibby
21-12-2010, 07:42 PM

Think Newcastle played their game there as well?

hibsboy90
21-12-2010, 07:56 PM
98 fans made it there, mostly curious locals I believe. I read that Sale spoke to circa 50 clubs around England & Scotland for a venue, with Gala (140m away) being the best option, everyone else said no.

I'm fed up with games being called off due to surrounding areas having problems, if the stadium, pitch, and area around turnstiles are ok then it should go ahead, let fans take the risk themselves. Some would say nanny state.

Danderhall Hibs
21-12-2010, 08:03 PM
98 fans made it there, mostly curious locals I believe. I read that Sale spoke to circa 50 clubs around England & Scotland for a venue, with Gala (140m away) being the best option, everyone else said no.

I'm fed up with games being called off due to surrounding areas having problems, if the stadium, pitch, and area around turnstiles are ok then it should go ahead, let fans take the risk themselves. Some would say nanny state.

:agree: When the football's off because of the surrounding areas why is the town/city centre still open? Are football fans all a bit daft and more likely to slip whereas a shoppers' balance is generally exemplary?

Sir David Gray
21-12-2010, 08:29 PM

:agree: We potentially have 7 home league games between now and the end of February. The bad weather could last until then so if we were forced to play those matches behind closed doors, adult season ticket holders would be due well in excess of £100 in refunds, as they wouldn't be able to get into those games that they had paid for.

Say we have 6,000 adult season ticket holders, that would cost the club well over £600,000.

No way Hibs would go for that.

calumhibee1
22-12-2010, 07:50 AM
:agree: We potentially have 7 home league games between now and the end of February. The bad weather could last until then so if we were forced to play those matches behind closed doors, adult season ticket holders would be due well in excess of £100 in refunds, as they wouldn't be able to get into those games that they had paid for.

Say we have 6,000 adult season ticket holders, that would cost the club well over £600,000.

No way Hibs would go for that.

£100 for not having to go watch our games.. bring on the snow. :greengrin

Antifa Hibs
22-12-2010, 09:46 AM
:agree: When the football's off because of the surrounding areas why is the town/city centre still open? Are football fans all a bit daft and more likely to slip whereas a shoppers' balance is generally exemplary?

I could be wrong put can you potentially get thousands of shopper travelling the length of the country to a town centre? Also, city/town centres are the life and soul of a city/town, thus are generally always cleared/gritted. Princess Street, George St and Rose Street, hardly a bit of snow to be seen. 12000 fans walking along Albion Place, down Albert street, Sinclair Street etc etc, different ball game.

LancashireHibby
22-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I could be wrong put can you potentially get thousands of shopper travelling the length of the country to a town centre? Also, city/town centres are the life and soul of a city/town, thus are generally always cleared/gritted. Princess Street, George St and Rose Street, hardly a bit of snow to be seen. 12000 fans walking along Albion Place, down Albert street, Sinclair Street etc etc, different ball game.

Indeed. It's the mass movement of people that's the problem, which is why I don't think the derby will be in danger because there won't be thousands of people going along the same motorway etc as you would get with other games.