PDA

View Full Version : Francis jeffers,worth a chance?

ozwoody
21-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Just a thought,Francis Jeffers is playing for Newcastle over here in Aus,but his contract runs out and he is flying home Jan 5th,worth a punt?

29 year old,ex international,out of contract.Cant be on huge wages over here so would not be hard to deal with I would have thought.By all accounts playing very well in the A league,saw a couple of games and he is a standout, I can see a win win for us.............experienced player,eye for goal,mobile forward,18 month contract perhaps,he plays well,he gets last big move and we get money,if hes even mediocre,we cut losses at end of contract with just paying wages.Although the A league is not a patch on standard of EPL players,lets be honest..........neither is SPL.

What do you think?

Part/Time Supporter
21-12-2010, 07:56 AM
No. He was crap for Rangers five years ago. Done nothing since.

Next.

ozwoody
21-12-2010, 08:08 AM
No. He was crap for Rangers five years ago. Done nothing since.

Next.

yes,your probably right,I mean he could never get in front of our high profile,high scoring front two,although he may have learned a bit more and gained more experience since his Ibrox days.I am just thinking of experienced guys that wont cost us the earth,but may bring a bit of fight in the team,because god knows we need it at the moment

just_joe
21-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Just wish Petrie would give the cash for us to sign Adam Rooney. If I was to pick one realistic target it would be him. Guaranteed there will be a number of teams interested in him.

hibsbollah
21-12-2010, 09:50 AM
If we're talking about unrealistic and unlikely signings, i'd rather have David Healy, N Ireland record scorer currently on loan at Doncaster from Sunderland. Would be a perfect partner for Riordan and would show a bit of intent from the tache.

M11BMO
21-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Just wish Petrie would give the cash for us to sign Adam Rooney. If I was to pick one realistic target it would be him. Guaranteed there will be a number of teams interested in him.

:agree:

Hibs On Tour
21-12-2010, 03:53 PM
If we're talking about unrealistic and unlikely signings, i'd rather have David Healy, N Ireland record scorer currently on loan at Doncaster from Sunderland. Would be a perfect partner for Riordan and would show a bit of intent from the tache.

Great shout. As an unrealistic and unlikely signing, I mean! :greengrin

Future17
21-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Just a thought,Francis Jeffers is playing for Newcastle over here in Aus,but his contract runs out and he is flying home Jan 5th,worth a punt?

29 year old,ex international,out of contract.Cant be on huge wages over here so would not be hard to deal with I would have thought.By all accounts playing very well in the A league,saw a couple of games and he is a standout, I can see a win win for us.............experienced player,eye for goal,mobile forward,18 month contract perhaps,he plays well,he gets last big move and we get money,if hes even mediocre,we cut losses at end of contract with just paying wages.Although the A league is not a patch on standard of EPL players,lets be honest..........neither is SPL.

What do you think?

There are very few players that wouldn't get a game up front for Hibs just now, but Francis Jeffers is one of them.

If you think he's a striker, look at his goal record.

Take a look at this article from the brilliant back of the net wiki site:

Francis Jeffers [edit]Francis 'Fox in the Box' Jeffers (born 25 January 1981 in Liverpool, Merseyside) is a goal-shy striker who was wrongly tipped for the top during the early years of his career at Everton.

Everton have a tradition of great strikers such as Gary Lineker, Wayne Rooney and Brett Angell, so when Jeffers netted fairly regularly for Walter Smith's impossibly dour side and England's Under-21s where he equalled Alan Shearer's scoring record it was inevitable that he would receive a good deal of hype.

However, Jeffers' career peaked at the age of 17 and a big-money move to Arsenal was ruined by injuries and baffling disorientation in front of goal. Three years and four goals later, the Scouse hitman was already a forgotten man and he ended up at Sheffield Wednesday via Charlton and Rangers.

These days you sometimes see Jeffers in the Championship, usually clutching his thigh, wandering around morosely in the vain hope he may end his nine-year goal drought.

Currently at Wednesday where, after headbutting a team mate and the 88 year old tea lady, he was transfer listed in August 09 since when the Owls have recieved precisely no offers to take Francis off their hands. Owing to an eating disorder brought on by depression and fuelled by his corporate tie up with Ginsters pasties he is now known as 'the Ox in the Box'.

WIth a goal scoring record beneath Robbie Savage, Dennis Irwin and goalkeeper Jose Luis Chilavert it seems unlikely that in these troubled fiscal times another club will risk *****ing a large amount of cash on hiring the services of this alleged striker.

The goal-shy twat signed for Australian A-league side, Newcastle Jets in November 2010. Jeffers quipped, "I like what is happening with the club, it is an exciting period here and hopefully I would be able to assist the Jets to climb up the ladder during my time here". More barren goal-streches are predicted by football pundits the world over.

Jeffers in everyday life

Most people think about Jeffers every now and again. Jeffers is mostly discussed using the constructions: "Do you remember that...?", "Whatever happened to...?" and "If I don't go to work today my career will do a ...".

WindyMiller
21-12-2010, 06:26 PM

What do you think?

He's scored 17 goals since he left Everton in 2001!

blackpoolhibs
21-12-2010, 06:55 PM
He could be our Christian Nade. :greengrin

ScottB
21-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Everton have a tradition of great strikers such as Gary Lineker, Wayne Rooney and Brett Angell, so when Jeffers netted fairly regularly for Walter Smith's impossibly dour side and England's Under-21s where he equalled Alan Shearer's scoring record it was inevitable that he would receive a good deal of hype.
[/I]

All of it quality, except Rooney boosting Evertons reputation for producing strikers years before he took to the pitch :wink:

Jeffers is exactly the problem around here. Because he's a 'big name' he must automatically be a better bet than our players bought by the 'miserly' Tasche.

It's getting old really!

Sick Boy
22-12-2010, 10:21 AM
:hilarious I've seen a few 'highlights' from games he's been involved in over here and he's been utter s***e.

MrHibs1982
22-12-2010, 10:27 AM
@ future17 Thanks for that post, god me laughing after a long day, cheers :greengrin:aok:

It is amazing to think he had a better record than wooney at everton and a great under 21 england record but i dont think he;s had a good game for 10 years!!

eastmainsmsh
22-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Jeffers was red hot at Everton at start as was Cadamarteri just need to look at Joachim,Ricketts,Jody Morris...All talented players who for whatever reason never lived up to the hype or their true potential ....Id take Jeffers tho as i reckon he is worth a gamble at 29 ...Jim Leighton turned his career around at hibs .... James Beattie has hardly set the heather on fire at Rangers either so Jeffers if signed could kickstart his career at ER ...

Will never happen tho :taxi

Steve-O
22-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't know what Newcastle Jets games you have seen but IMO Jeffers has been pish there and has not even scored a goal for them yet?

Considering I was mocked for suggesting we sign the A-League's top scorer a couple of years ago, I am unsure how someone who is pish in the A-League will solve our problems!!

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Maybe we should get Stokes back on loan. Seen Lennon saying that even before Hooper took a sore one last night they were looking to buy another forward.:rolleyes:
Can't be overly impressed by what they already have.

rainman
22-12-2010, 04:39 PM
More A-league drivel.

It's pish.

Grant Brebner and Eugene Dadi look like players over here.

That being said, the boy who got Adelaide's first goal tonight might be worth a look.

ScottB
22-12-2010, 06:44 PM
I don't know what Newcastle Jets games you have seen but IMO Jeffers has been pish there and has not even scored a goal for them yet?

Considering I was mocked for suggesting we sign the A-League's top scorer a couple of years ago, I am unsure how someone who is pish in the A-League will solve our problems!!

Because people have heard of him, and therefore he is 'the big name signing Petrie will never prise open the biscuit tin for' that must be pursued.

If we went for a striker nobody had heard of with his record there'd be bedlam on here, that he happened to start his career at big clubs is an irrelevance for me. He's awful and has been for a good decade now.

Kaiser1962
22-12-2010, 08:34 PM

Depending on whether Calderwood wants him of course.

hibsbollah
22-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Great shout. As an unrealistic and unlikely signing, I mean! :greengrin

:greengrinYou're probably right.

Although Healy's club career has definitely stalled a bit since he left Fulham...probably not on ridiculous wages, might be willing to restart his career elsewhere? not that much more fanciful than Liam Miller/Stokes signings maybe.

I can dream can't I?:greengrin

Graham Law
23-12-2010, 05:35 AM
:hilarious I've seen a few 'highlights' from games he's been involved in over here and he's been utter s***e.

Not true - been to most of the Jets home games and although Jeffers has only scored 1 goal he has actually been very much a main part of helping Newcastle to 6 wins in last 8 matches ... That said, given the overall standard of the A-League it is easy to see how he has found HIS level over here.

Steve don't agree with that. He has looked one of the better players for the jets since his arrival - although again not hard to look better than the other lads that play up front for Jets

More A-league drivel.

It's pish.

That being said, the boy who got Adelaide's first goal tonight might be worth a look.

Agreed A-League is poor and can be no test if a player will be any good in the SPL.

As someone who has watched Jeffers live 5 or 6 times over here it is a defo NO from me.

WellingtonHibby
23-12-2010, 06:03 AM
More A-league drivel.

It's pish.

I was saying exactly the same thing today, ive only been over here a month, but im convinced i could cut it as a tough tackling, matty jack type midfielder here...the standards are gash. Franny Jeffers actually looked a bit dangerous t'other night. Granted,he missed a sitter but...:greengrin