PDA

View Full Version : Good players we almost signed

heidtheba
20-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Hey all,
I don't even want to think about the derby so I'm going off on a tangent here.
My first Hibs season was 93/94 and my mate mentioned, in passing, that at different times Hibs were linked with the following players before they 'made it big'
Ronnie Rozental - Liverpool striker by 93/94
David Platt
Gordon Strachan

I'd be interested to develop my Hibs knowledge and know if there were any other good players out there that we almost signed...

I know Hearts apparently just missed out on Ole-gunna Soskjaer before he went to Man U for example.

Cheers

matty_f
20-12-2010, 06:43 PM
We nearly signed Chris (?) Hackett (at least I think that was his name), unfortunately the Yams trumped us with that one and the rest is history as he went on to star in their Champions League winning side.:greengrin

PaulSmith
20-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Allan MacGregor was a done deal and he was ready to sign until we decided to go with a keeper from Feyenoord rather than a Rangers reserve

You can add McManus from 'Boro as well to that list, only never happened as either Mjallby, Valharen or Balde got injured

.Sean.
20-12-2010, 06:48 PM
We nearly signed Chris (?) Hackett (at least I think that was his name), unfortunately the Yams trumped us with that one and the rest is history as he went on to star in their Champions League winning side.:greengrin
Chris I think he was called :agree: Now starring in the lower echelons of English football.

Steven Hammell?
Kevin Kyle?
Darren Barr?

Remember when St Mirren almost signed Ronaldinho?! :shocked:

SteveHFC
20-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Darren Fletcher

Pretty Boy
20-12-2010, 06:56 PM
I was thinking about this the other day.

I remember we were quite strongly linked with both Robert Snodgrass and Wes Hoolahan at one point. For whatever reason it never happened and both are now playing in teams with a decent shout of being in the Premier League next season.

I'll also throw David Platt into the mix before anyone beats me to it.

hibee_boy
20-12-2010, 06:58 PM
because hes (not) worth it

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/sauzee-scotches-ginolas-hope-of-hibernian-move-662534.html

woodythehibee
20-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Vinnie Jones

matty_f
20-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I was thinking about this the other day.

I remember we were quite strongly linked with both Robert Snodgrass and Wes Hoolahan at one point. For whatever reason it never happened and both are now playing in teams with a decent shout of being in the Premier League next season.

I'll also throw David Platt into the mix before anyone beats me to it.

Anyone other than the OP, likes? :greengrin

sleeping giant
20-12-2010, 07:08 PM
John Robertson

Pretty Boy
20-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Anyone other than the OP, likes? :greengrin

:embarrass

I'll just edit his post so nobody notices.:wink:

DH1875
20-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Allan MacGregor was a done deal and he was ready to sign until we decided to go with a keeper from Feyenoord rather than a Rangers reserve

Not sure if we talking about the same time but he was due to come to us before Le Guen got the sack. Rangers didn't want him, think he was on loan at Dunfermline and they had signed some french dud.

Woody1985
20-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Chris I think he was called :agree: Now starring in the lower echelons of English football.

Steven Hammell?
Kevin Kyle?
Darren Barr?

:faf:

I forgot about that!

Speedway
20-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Jason McAteer...Colin Clarke...Mark McGraw...wait.

jdships
20-12-2010, 07:48 PM
John Toshack of Liverpool was another one
At least that was the story at the time as he had relatives living in Edinburgh

joebakerforever
20-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Billy Bremner from Leeds before he made the big time

PaulSmith
20-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Miller tried to get Duncan Shearer several time IIRC

Brads Laing
20-12-2010, 08:02 PM
David Ginola

Springbank
20-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Danny Boffin of FC Liege and Belgium

Went on to play in world cups and (I seem to remember) a couple of European finals

Springbank
20-12-2010, 09:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Boffin

3 world cups!

Winston Ingram
20-12-2010, 10:19 PM

Steven Hammell?
Kevin Kyle?
Darren Barr?

Just a reminder that the thread is called 'Good players we almost signed':wink:

Edinburgh Green
20-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Jamie cureton
Danial braatan

Greentinted
20-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Not being one who considers himself as being 'in the know' I am unsure if the potential signing of Stephane Adam (circa 1997) is true or one of those 'urban myths'.

And as an afterthought, nothing to do with Hibs but I recall a frenzy of salivation over the water as the Pars faithful were anticipating the signing of Taribo West...as if!!!

johncrobertson@
Alex Miller had a deal about done when he was at Falkirk - fell through and he later signed for the ****bo's

MSK
Hey all,
I don't even want to think about the derby so I'm going off on a tangent here.
My first Hibs season was 93/94 and my mate mentioned, in passing, that at different times Hibs were linked with the following players before they 'made it big'
David Platt
Gordon Strachan

I'd be interested to develop my Hibs knowledge and know if there were any other good players out there that we almost signed...

I know Hearts apparently just missed out on Ole-gunna Soskjaer before he went to Man U for example.
CheersAnd Robbie Savage ...fitting name for a bunch o hatchet men ..they missed oot on him ..as well as Giggs brother & a crippled pub team player from the amateur leagues in Newcastle ...:agree:

heidtheba
20-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Jamie cureton
Danial braatan

Some of these players would have been amazing. Had to 'wiki' Braatan and found he did something called the 'Seal Dribble' which I'd never heard of...

Check out Kerlon doing this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYlqql38XkY

SteveHFC
20-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Mixu tried to sign Adam Hammill on loan when he was at Liverpool about 2 years ago.

Jack
21-12-2010, 12:10 AM

Steven Hammell?
Kevin Kyle?
Darren Barr?

Add Ian Black to that list of ...

Billy Whizz
21-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Collins tried to sign Steven Naismith. The failure to do this was one of the reasons for his departure!

MWHIBBIES
21-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Some of these players would have been amazing. Had to 'wiki' Braatan and found he did something called the 'Seal Dribble' which I'd never heard of...

Check out Kerlon doing this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYlqql38XkY Off topic i know but that tackle on Kerlon was shocking.

Calvin
21-12-2010, 05:15 AM
And as an afterthought, nothing to do with Hibs but I recall a frenzy of salivation over the water as the Pars faithful were anticipating the signing of Taribo West...as if!!!
They dodged a bullet there, he's ancient! - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/21/nigerian-football-age-old-problem

.Sean.
21-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Barry Robson?

heretoday
21-12-2010, 11:29 AM
John Toshack of Liverpool was another one
At least that was the story at the time as he had relatives living in Edinburgh

Tom Hart wanted a big name and was prepared to fly Toshack up to Edinburgh for matches at £3,000 a pop. He got George Best instead.

Randerson_4
21-12-2010, 12:15 PM
They dodged a bullet there, he's ancient! - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/21/nigerian-football-age-old-problem

Interesting, especially the last part about the squads changing! Heard this week infact, that John Obi Mikel is much older than 23!?

aberhibsfc
21-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Some excellent posts, brought back some memories.

The two I heard of:

Jim Duffy was offered a young Monaco player David Trezeguet on a seasons loan. Jim replied no thanks, I've just signed Tosh and Powers.

Franck Sauzee had been sounding out Didier Dechamps regards finishing his career in the SPL.

Joe Baker II
21-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Bobby Mann! (good at a certain level).

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-12-2010, 12:49 PM

The two I heard of:

Jim Duffy was offered a young Monaco player David Trezeguet on a seasons loan. Jim replied no thanks, I've just signed Tosh and Powers.

Franck Sauzee had been sounding out Didier Dechamps regards finishing his career in the SPL.

Duff Jimmy could have just said I sign Tosh and left it at that.

jdships
21-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Tom Hart wanted a big name and was prepared to fly Toshack up to Edinburgh for matches at £3,000 a pop. He got George Best instead.

Better than nobody I suppose !! :wink::greengrin
Thanks for that

supersauzee
21-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Supposdly when Big Eck was in charge at Hibs he had both Arild Stavrum and Giorgi Nemsadze on trial. They ended up at aberdeen and dundee and were very good players, especially nemsadze!

Andy74
21-12-2010, 04:59 PM

The two I heard of:

I'd wondered if anyone else knew about Dechamps! He'd have been here the following season if Sauzee hadn't been sacked.

McD
21-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Not being one who considers himself as being 'in the know' I am unsure if the potential signing of Stephane Adam (circa 1997) is true or one of those 'urban myths'.

As I understand it he was on trial with us, McLeish (I think it was him, he did have a penchant for having players on trial!) decided he wasn't up to it. He went on to win a scottish cup as the main striker for the jambos :boo hoo:He went straight from on trial with us to on trial with them. Git.

frazeHFC
21-12-2010, 05:52 PM

Steven Hammell?
Kevin Kyle?
Darren Barr?

What!!!!!!! Just read up on this but it said he was valued at £6m at the time. How could they afford him?

Part/Time Supporter
22-12-2010, 09:38 AM
What!!!!!!! Just read up on this but it said he was valued at £6m at the time. How could they afford him?

They couldn't.

The script was that he had already agreed to join PSG from his Brazilian team that summer. St. Mirren suggested that he join them on loan in the interim to keep him match fit and expose him to "European" (ha!) football early.

Part/Time Supporter
22-12-2010, 09:39 AM
As I understand it he was on trial with us, McLeish (I think it was him, he did have a penchant for having players on trial!) decided he wasn't up to it. He went on to win a scottish cup as the main striker for the jambos :boo hoo:He went straight from on trial with us to on trial with them. Git.

Couldn't have been McLeish, he was still at Motherwell when Adam signed for Hearts.

Also worth noting that Adam wasn't an unqualified success there, as he ended up fleecing them for a massive wage for an injury-plagued few years after he scored the cup winning goal. Somewhat similar to Benji in that respect.

'Mon the Hibs
22-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Hurtado
Konte
Kerr
O'Brien
Caig
Gathus....

...... oh wait.... we did sign these players....... and they were pish :doh::fuming:

:xwave:snowman:xlol

Skanko79
22-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Joel Cantona :faf:

Hibee_Craig7062
22-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Supposdly when Big Eck was in charge at Hibs he had both Arild Stavrum and Giorgi Nemsadze on trial. They ended up at aberdeen and dundee and were very good players, especially nemsadze!

:agree:

Nemsadze even played a reserve game for us (against motherwell??) but the money Dundee were throwing about at that time was ridiculous!!

aberhibsfc
22-12-2010, 02:53 PM

Nemsadze even played a reserve game for us (against motherwell??) but the money Dundee were throwing about at that time was ridiculous!!

Livi done it too when they snatched Lovel from ER. Infact they even went onto win the League Cup at our expense with a load of expensive and unemployed at the time of winning. We fielded youngsters and it was more gauling that these youngster had dispatched Celtic & Rangers in the Quarter and Semi Finals. To go on and lose to a club spending well without their means, unemployed players hanging around to bag a medal for their CV and in front of their approx 5,000 at a national cup competition final, what a life.

McKenzie
22-12-2010, 04:34 PM
http://www.hibs.net/images/hibsnet/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by .sean. http://www.hibs.net/images/hibsnet/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?p=2665101#post2665101)

Steven Hammell?
Kevin Kyle?
Darren Barr?

It was on loan seemingly, one of the teachers in my school was manager of St Mirren at the time:faf:

darwenhibby
22-12-2010, 05:48 PM
The season we went down, Eck tried to sign Lars Boheinan from Blackburn.

The player was concerned playing in Scotland might effect his world cup chances with Norway.

heidtheba
22-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Such interesting discoveries!
I don't know what depresses me most about this but it isn't who we missed out on (a la Trezeguet) its who we DID sign in their place (Tosh ffs!)
:boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

Billy McKirdy
22-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Broad Clubfoot....sorry Kirk Broadfoot was a youth player with us before he really hit the bigtime at Castle Greyskull :greengrin

Billy McKirdy
22-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Cheers

IIRC he played in a bounce game or two for us and correct me if Im wrong, he scored 5 goals in one of them and still Alex Miller refused to take a chance with him :confused:

matty_f
22-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Add Ian Black to that list of ...

No need, the thread is about good players.:agree:

greenlad
22-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Trond Egil Soldvedt
Ion Testimitanou
Emil Kostadinov
Phillipe Albert
Owen Coyle
Billy Sharp

not yet mentioned but all on the Hibs radar at some stage

Of the ones mentioned

Georgi Nemsadze
Stephane Adam
John Robertson
Gordon Strachan

all could have made a huge impact.

In the same vein as Ronaldinho to St Mirren, does anyone remember Cruyff to Dumbarton or Stoichkov to Airdrie?

heidtheba
23-12-2010, 12:03 AM
A bit old but still a decent player - Andy McLaren - didn't he do a game as a trialist and was paid for out of Bobby Williamson's own pocket?

kaimendhibs
23-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Have heard about the david platt possibility, could have had him from crewe. Another we wouldnt pay for was steve bull

scott_hfc1875
23-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Im sure i remember reading on here that we had peter crouch on trial at some point before signing for qpr

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-12-2010, 10:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVq5-u7MH0

All this Rosenthal chat made me remember this beauty :-)

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Also, noticed someone mentioned Darren Fletcher. That was NEVER gonna happen, I remember one game I played against him when we were both just 11 and there were already big rumours flying about that there was a Man U scout(s) at the side of the pitch. Me and my mates were buzzin at the thought!! The ugly sisters never even stood a chance of signing him.

supersauzee
23-12-2010, 11:35 AM
It was on loan seemingly, one of the teachers in my school was manager of St Mirren at the time:faf:

yea he was manager at my school too! Maths teacher if i remember rightly! :faf:

Future17
23-12-2010, 04:56 PM
A bit old but still a decent player - Andy McLaren - didn't he do a game as a trialist and was paid for out of Bobby Williamson's own pocket?

Spent pre-season training with us but RP wouldn't sanction the length of deal he was after.

I think this was when I first appreciated RP's role in the club as MacLaren was a Grade "A" master of pure bampotery.

MSK
23-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Spent pre-season training with us but RP wouldn't sanction the length of deal he was after.
I think this was when I first appreciated RP's role in the club as MacLaren was a Grade "A" master of pure bampotery.Played a couple of friendly games too iirc, remember him playing wide left in a friendly at Easter rd...was this not after his period of "bampottery" & he had pretty much settled down ..?

.Sean.
23-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Played a couple of friendly games too iirc, remember him playing wide left in a friendly at Easter rd...was this not after his period of "bampottery" & he had pretty much settled down ..?
Did he not play against Cardiff, under Mowbray?

MSK
23-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Did he not play against Cardiff, under Mowbray?May well have been Sean..:agree:

keep the faith
23-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Played a couple of friendly games too iirc, remember him playing wide left in a friendly at Easter rd...was this not after his period of "bampottery" & he had pretty much settled down ..?

Pretty sure he played for us against the yams at Easter road in the festival cup. I could be wrong though.

McD
23-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Pretty sure he played for us against the yams at Easter road in the festival cup. I could be wrong though.

I'd heard that McLaren was wanted by the club (was on trial the same summer we signed Steven Glass I think), but he was wanting double the wages he was on at Killie.

.Sean.
23-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I'd heard that McLaren was wanted by the club (was on trial the same summer we signed Steven Glass I think), but he was wanting double the wages he was on at Killie.
Which was, do you know?

McD
23-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Which was, do you know?

No I don't mate, just that that was the reason Hibs let him go.

....this all may have been around the time we had started cutting cloth etc, old age is rotting the brain lol

Ryan69
23-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Im lead to believe that in about 1995 we made an offer for Jean Pierre Papin, couldnt agree wages though.

I remember it at the time.

Hibee Daz
23-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Vinnie Jones

Sorry dude he was never a decent fitba player and come to think of it he's a ***** actor anaw, although he was great at chopping folk a right dirty bassa!

zero-seven
23-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Does Didier Agathe count ??

Aubenas
24-12-2010, 12:10 AM
IIRC he played in a bounce game or two for us and correct me if Im wrong, he scored 5 goals in one of them and still Alex Miller refused to take a chance with him

Not so. Miller was keen but it turned out RR was only trialing with Hibs to get himself noticed. Offered deal but wanted treble. Signed for Liverpool following week

KWJ
24-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Would have been quality.

To think we had Latapy & Sauzee in the first division already let alone big Kostadinov!

Oh, and Tony Rougier!!

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football:+Kosta+bid+on+for+Hibs.-a060629980