PDA

View Full Version : NHC Potter and his Hearts bias...

Hibs On Tour
20-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Can't imagine this erse doing anything more to annoy me but he manages nevertheless.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/9296407.stm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they discover that Andy Driver wasn't elgible after all that fannying around? Yet this trumpet is still cracking one off over him! Beggars belief. But DR still has to 'work harder' etc... :confused:

Of course if I've missed anything and he is eligible then its back to the 'it shouldn't work that way' arguement. :greengrin

bob12345
20-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Can't imagine this erse doing anything more to annoy me but he manages nevertheless.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/9296407.stm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they discover that Andy Driver wasn't elgible after all that fannying around? Yet this trumpet is still cracking one off over him! Beggars belief. But DR still has to 'work harder' etc... :confused:

Of course if I've missed anything and he is eligible then its back to the 'it shouldn't work that way' arguement. :greengrin

He can play, the laws were ammended.

Bad Martini
20-12-2010, 12:18 PM

Correct - Potter is an ********. Simples.

Derek Riordan should be on the teamsheet when we look at the ****ed up free kicks and dead ball situations we WASTED over the last 3-4 games we played. That alone should self-select Deek long before we talk about decent (or even acceptable) passes. And all that before we talk about the ability to score which Scotland seem to lack most of the time these days, when it counts.

The only reason Deek is no getting a game is because Potter is a yam. Simples.

There can be no other reason.....its certainly not down to his inability to pass/shoot and set-up goals.

The sooner Potter pisses off and leaves the coaches job, the better. I stupidly thought he was the right man for the job when we got rid of the last useless incumbent...evidently not.

Once a bitter potter yam fud, always a bitter potter yam fud.

ENDOF

joe_hfc
20-12-2010, 12:31 PM

Derek Riordan should be on the teamsheet when we look at the ****ed up free kicks and dead ball situations we WASTED over the last 3-4 games we played. That alone should self-select Deek long before we talk about decent (or even acceptable) passes. And all that before we talk about the ability to score which Scotland seem to lack most of the time these days, when it counts.

There can be no other reason.....its certainly not down to his inability to pass/shoot and set-up goals.

The sooner Potter pisses off and leaves the coaches job, the better. I stupidly thought he was the right man for the job when we got rid of the last useless incumbent...evidently not.

ENDOF

Are you being serious?!

Do you seriously think that Levein would compromise his position, and the Scotland football teams position based on his club loyalties?!!! He is a proven manager with a good track-record, If you really really think that he's thinking 'Aw Derek's pure perfect fir wot ah need but eh, hes a Hibee ******* so naw' then you need to get your head examined. If someone of Maloneys ability has only just got in the squad, then of course Deek is having to wait. Take your Hibs tinted specs off - do you really think Riordan has shown the hunger, work-rate, attitude, and even motivation to be able to play along-side the likes off Brown, Fletcher etc? He's often very average in a poor Hibs team.

Saying that Riordan isn't getting a call up because Levein is a Jambo - and that there is no other reason is just stupid. There's no evidence for this, and the theory doesn't even sound plausable.

Skanko79
20-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Are you being serious?!

Do you seriously think that Levein would compromise his position, and the Scotland football teams position based on his club loyalties?!!! He is a proven manager with a good track-record, If you really really think that he's thinking 'Aw Derek's pure perfect fir wot ah need but eh, hes a Hibee ******* so naw' then you need to get your head examined. If someone of Maloneys ability has only just got in the squad, then of course Deek is having to wait. Take your Hibs tinted specs off - do you really think Riordan has shown the hunger, work-rate, attitude, and even motivation to be able to play along-side the likes off Brown, Fletcher etc? He's often very average in a poor Hibs team.

Saying that Riordan isn't getting a call up because Levein is a Jambo - and that there is no other reason is just stupid. There's no evidence for this, and the theory doesn't even sound plausable.

:top marks

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Are you being serious?!

Absolute cobblers

Judas Iscariot
20-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Are you being serious?!

Nonsense

Jim44
20-12-2010, 12:55 PM

The 'DR must work harder' is a smokescreen from Potter. To repeat what I've posted here before, "Riordan will never play while I am manager." I've used quote marks because these were the actual words indiscretly used by Potter in the company of someone who knows him personally. He should be a bit more careful in selecting his confidants.

Jack
20-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Are you being serious?!

Its not evidence but a few months ago even some on JKB were saying Deeks should be at least included in the national squad. So its not just green tinted, its coming from the folk who generally hate him, Deeks that is.

Mark79
20-12-2010, 01:02 PM
The national team is murder. Glad riordan has hee haw to do with them. We have enough to worry about at club level.

Potter will get his jotters soon enough.

Part/Time Supporter
20-12-2010, 01:13 PM
The national team is murder. Glad riordan has hee haw to do with them. We have enough to worry about at club level.

Potter will get his jotters soon enough.

:agree:

Phil D. Rolls
20-12-2010, 01:22 PM
The 'DR must work harder' is a smokescreen from Potter. To repeat what I've posted here before, "Riordan will never play while I am manager." I've used quote marks because these were the actual words indiscretly used by Potter in the company of someone who knows him personally. He should be a bit more careful in selecting his confidants.

It wasn't "the bloke in the pub" by any chance? :greengrin

Bad Martini
20-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Are you being serious?!

You ARE on the windup eh?

Much like Murray who also got heehaw for Scotland even though he was playing outstandingly consistent when he come back to us, from the huns.

Bias? Read my posts...I am THEE least biased person on here and often one of the few who actually follows the National Team. Reason being; I say, regardless of who they play for, they should play for Scotland IF they are good enough. That includes the huns BTW and you have no idea how hard I find it to follow Scotland when we're full of huns and sellick muppets.

Blunt reality check time...you tell me who, over the last 4-5 games has DESERVED a place over Riordan? Robson with his countless ****ed up free-kicks? Riordan picking up player of the month and STILL Potter tells him he's no up to the joab............

I could take that IF Potter had put in better players. As noted on this very thread, even yams, huns and celtic fans have asked why Riordan was not in the squad ... there have been times when he has been off the boil and when so, he shouldnae be in teh squad, that, I agree with.

There have been times when he's been scoring for fun and assisting for fun yet STILL doesny get a game. Potter cites his lack of "work rate" - utter SHEITE...I watched Riordan tracking from OUR 18 yard box to the oppositions 18 yard box....I've seen him on the touch line, under the guidance of Yogi playing the stupid uber-wide-left and everywhere else.... I've seen him do all this and on the back of that, STILL chip in goals and assists.

Lets no be mental aboot this. If you want to say Riordan shouldnae be in there, we need to be playing someone BETTER than he his for the situation and games. We DONT...we have played ***** players, players who areny even PLAYING for their team and everything else in between....that isny a "bias" or agenda?

I think so. I think Riordan could score a hattrick every week and would still toil to convince Potter.

As I said, I was all for Potter to get the job - I have no bias when it comes to Scotland as I have said. But, this crap from Potter is clear for all to see....he has his wee favourties and stupid ideas....and one of them is NO to play Deek.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/ <<<< Look back thru the squads. Deek doesny even make the squad most of the time. Look at some of the utter DROSS there....they wouldnae be worthy of lacing Riordans boots.

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-12-2010, 01:40 PM

Much like Murray who also got heehaw for Scotland even though he was playing outstandingly consistent when he come back to us, from the huns.

Bias? Read my posts...I am THEE least biased person on here and often one of the few who actually follows the National Team. Reason being; I say, regardless of who they play for, they should play for Scotland IF they are good enough. That includes the huns BTW and you have no idea how hard I find it to follow Scotland when we're full of huns and sellick muppets.

Blunt reality check time...you tell me who, over the last 4-5 games has DESERVED a place over Riordan? Robson with his countless ****ed up free-kicks? Riordan picking up player of the month and STILL Potter tells him he's no up to the joab............

I could take that IF Potter had put in better players. As noted on this very thread, even yams, huns and celtic fans have asked why Riordan was not in the squad ... there have been times when he has been off the boil and when so, he shouldnae be in teh squad, that, I agree with.

There have been times when he's been scoring for fun and assisting for fun yet STILL doesny get a game. Potter cites his lack of "work rate" - utter SHEITE...I watched Riordan tracking from OUR 18 yard box to the oppositions 18 yard box....I've seen him on the touch line, under the guidance of Yogi playing the stupid uber-wide-left and everywhere else.... I've seen him do all this and on the back of that, STILL chip in goals and assists.

Lets no be mental aboot this. If you want to say Riordan shouldnae be in there, we need to be playing someone BETTER than he his for the situation and games. We DONT...we have played ***** players, players who areny even PLAYING for their team and everything else in between....that isny a "bias" or agenda?

I think so. I think Riordan could score a hattrick every week and would still toil to convince Potter.

As I said, I was all for Potter to get the job - I have no bias when it comes to Scotland as I have said. But, this crap from Potter is clear for all to see....he has his wee favourties and stupid ideas....and one of them is NO to play Deek.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/ <<<< Look back thru the squads. Deek doesny even make the squad most of the time. Look at some of the utter DROSS there....they wouldnae be worthy of lacing Riordans boots.

Now that's :top marks

Jim44
20-12-2010, 01:45 PM
It wasn't "the bloke in the pub" by any chance? :greengrin

It is someone who knows Potter very well and someone who I'm sure a lot of people on this board would know.

PS. I'm not setting up a guessing game. Take it or leave it.

KWJ
20-12-2010, 02:04 PM
I understand what BM is saying but I do also agree with Joe.

Riordan's age and previous lack of work rate, indiscipline and attitude is working against him. He's showing signs of maturing at 27 yet still lost the plot in the derby. He's a passenger for most games and because we have no other options and are playing against teams of the same ability we have to play him. It's a different case for Scotland. We go for 1 up front at national level then Riordan is a long way down the pecking order.

You simply can't pick a player for Scotland because he takes a free kick a bit better than someone else.

I'd put a wee wager that Robson has scored more free kicks than Riordan too. He does seem to **** up a fair bit more in a Scotland shirt right enough.

Riordan should have been in the squad with all those call offs and stuff I agree but he'd still be struggling to get on my bench let alone capped.

I think it's too late for him as you'd rather develop a player with promise and in that article it's Templeton who has had a great year, better even than Riordans :jamboak:

Like you say, if he bangs in hat tricks every week he'd have to be picked. He needs to keep scoring goals, climbing above the other players in the scoring charts and a little bit more. Maybe do a Stevie Crawford/Billy Dodds and get in towards the end of his career.

Speedy
20-12-2010, 02:19 PM

DR was largely ignored by almost all of the managers, does that not suggest that it is more than Levein being against him?

Edit:

Slightly off topic but I really don't like this quote ""There are a lot of young players who are eligible to play for Scotland these days that really excites me. David, if he continues his improvement, will be another one of those." "

It's a shame that this is the case now rather than saying "young Scottish players".

Beefster
20-12-2010, 02:27 PM

I'm not sure that it really makes much difference. Riordan would never be any better than a squad selection and Potter lives and dies by his results so if he wants to exclude certain players (Riordan, Fletcher or anyone else) it's him that's taking the risk.

Part/Time Supporter
20-12-2010, 02:34 PM
DR was largely ignored by almost all of the managers, does that not suggest that it is more than Levein being against him?

Edit:

Slightly off topic but I really don't like this quote ""There are a lot of young players who are eligible to play for Scotland these days that really excites me. David, if he continues his improvement, will be another one of those." "

It's a shame that this is the case now rather than saying "young Scottish players".

Levein's bright idea seems to be to rummage through findmypast.com or ancestry.co.uk to find any young (probably English) players with Scottish grannies. It's faintly nauseating.

Hibbyradge
20-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Who's place should Deek get?

silverhibee
20-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Are you being serious?!

Rubbish.

silverhibee
20-12-2010, 03:06 PM

silverhibee
20-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Who's place should Deek get?

Maloneys.

Perspective
20-12-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm with Joe and Keith Wright Jnr.

Where do you play Riordan for Scotland? He's never a central striker, doesn't offer a left-back enough protection if used in midfield and we don't play with a system that allows a playmaker.

He might be the most naturally talented player of his generation, but you can't have ability without the application.

The way football is progressing luxury players are a thing of the past. At a completely different level to us you only have to watch how hard Barcelona's players work to win the ball back. They're the best at what they do so it stands to reason they're the model to try and replicate, even if we'll never hit those heights as a club or country.

Those that say 'I don't want Riordan working hard or tracking back' miss the point.

I love him cracking the ball into the top corner as much as the next Hibee but can anyone honestly say he's fulfilled anything like his potential?

To say Levein is overlooking Hibs players because they're Hibs players is ludicrous. We don't have anyone anywhere near worthy of a call-up, though hopefully guys like Hanlon, Wotherspoon and Booth will get there in time.

Spike Mandela
20-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Are you being serious?!

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Funniest post of the year

Phil D. Rolls
20-12-2010, 04:21 PM
It is someone who knows Potter very well and someone who I'm sure a lot of people on this board would know.

PS. I'm not setting up a guessing game. Take it or leave it.

I'll take it, it certainly fits in with everything else the Earl of Crossford has said about Derek. :agree:

Wotherspiniesta
20-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Are you being serious?!

Just nobody has said it:

STOP TALKING PISH.

We all know what you get with Riordan. All this "doesn't work hard enough for the team" stuff is utter nonsense. Riordan has a lazy style of play. A bit like Berbatov at Man United, just on a lesser scale. The guy has scored 100 goals for Hibernian and has made about 2 appearances for Scotland. Its an utter disgrace IMO. The only time of late he has let himself down was the Derby, when the entire Hibs team were a let down that day.

Can you tell me a good reason why Andy Driver should be ahead of Derek Riordan in that squad? Drivers not kicked a ball for an absolute age, wasn't even born in Scotland and was terribly out of form when he was playing for Hearts before his injury.

Every team and manager in the country knows Riordan's qualities. He's a classy finisher, scores goals with both feet from anywhere around the box and is the best Scottish, natural goalscorer in the SPL.

It's a travesty he doesn't even get mentioned in the Scotland set up. And the reason for that is pure and simply, down to Levein.

Hibercelona
20-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Just nobody has said it:

STOP TALKING PISH.

We all know what you get with Riordan. All this "doesn't work hard enough for the team" stuff is utter nonsense. Riordan has a lazy style of play. A bit like Berbatov at Man United, just on a lesser scale. The guy has scored 100 goals for Hibernian and has made about 2 appearances for Scotland. Its an utter disgrace IMO. The only time of late he has let himself down was the Derby, when the entire Hibs team were a let down that day.

Can you tell me a good reason why Andy Driver should be ahead of Derek Riordan in that squad? Drivers not kicked a ball for an absolute age, wasn't even born in Scotland and was terribly out of form when he was playing for Hearts before his injury.

Every team and manager in the country knows Riordan's qualities. He's a classy finisher, scores goals with both feet from anywhere around the box and is the best Scottish, natural goalscorer in the SPL.

It's a travesty he doesn't even get mentioned in the Scotland set up. And the reason for that is pure and simply, down to Levein.

He's an utter tool who's bubble will eventually burst, just like his beloved Hearts.

Saorsa
20-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Rubbish.I think you're being too kind :agree:

:agree::top marks

Danderhall Hibs
20-12-2010, 07:38 PM
He is a proven manager with a good track-record,

Failed at Leicester and took Dundee United to 5th and 6th then left when they were in 4th place last season - behind Hibs.

Where's his good track record? At Cowdenbeath?

bob12345
20-12-2010, 10:20 PM
The problem is, Riordan's scoring all these goals in the SPL. Where he's being afforded lots of space and time in dangerous positions and everyone gives him the ball because he's the best player! It would be very different against any international defence and whether Riordan was a Hibee or not, I think Levein throughout his career has always went for work-horses over flair players. If he's going to be playing so negatively, and base his tactics around getting the whole team around the ball, would Riordan be in the team? No.

What certainly should have happened by now is giving him the chance in a friendly. Who knows, maybe, DR would be a legend around better players in a more bit part role, how will we ever know? He never played at Celtic. I think he's merited that chance, but unless he banged in a hat-trick, I don't think he'll be playing competitive football under the current regime regardless.

Jack
20-12-2010, 11:03 PM
The problem is, Riordan's scoring all these goals in the SPL. Where he's being afforded lots of space and time in dangerous positions and everyone gives him the ball because he's the best player! It would be very different against any international defence and whether Riordan was a Hibee or not, I think Levein throughout his career has always went for work-horses over flair players. If he's going to be playing so negatively, and base his tactics around getting the whole team around the ball, would Riordan be in the team? No.

What certainly should have happened by now is giving him the chance in a friendly. Who knows, maybe, DR would be a legend around better players in a more bit part role, how will we ever know? He never played at Celtic. I think he's merited that chance, but unless he banged in a hat-trick, I don't think he'll be playing competitive football under the current regime regardless.

Deek isn't given space in the danger area, he makes his own space.

joe_hfc
20-12-2010, 11:20 PM

And so that automatically results in Riordan being victim of an anti-hibs conspiracy :confused:. Levein probably thinkins Riordans not good enough. I actually can't believe the reception I got for reaching dismissing the terrible hypothesis that Riordan doesn't get picked cos 'he's a Hibee bam' :confused. If this was hearts saying this about one of their players you'd be laughing at them!

Most fansI know who support Celtic Hearts Rangers Aberdeen etc wouldn't have him any where near the Scotland XI.

As much as I like Deek as a player I don't think he's at International standard - if he was at that level, he'd be at a better team than us. Don't get me wrong, he's my favourite hibs player; but people remember his good crosses and great goals and forget the multiple games he's been a moany wee passanger with little to no effect on the game - Ok less than a lot of our team in comparison but does that say much? He's missing the qualities in my last post which Scotland scream out for at times.

joe_hfc
20-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Failed at Leicester and took Dundee United to 5th and 6th then left when they were in 4th place last season - behind Hibs.

Where's his good track record? At Cowdenbeath?

Hearts, win ratio of 43.5% - not far off Mowbrays when he was here :agree:

joe_hfc
20-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Just nobody has said it:

STOP TALKING PISH.

I'm still finding it funny that you had the cheek to compare Riordan to Berbatov! You've also slated the notion of saying he doesn't work hard-enough, then called him lazy the following sentence (which ironically Deeks work-rate seems to be the basis for you calling my post pish)... Anyway, say he is 'Berbatov-esque' are Scotland really good enough where we can affoard to have players like that on our team?! We need fighters who'll works their balls off and show a great deal of fight and hunger in games, no?

bob12345
21-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Deek isn't given space in the danger area, he makes his own space.

Against extremely average defenders, who let him drift.

Toaods
21-12-2010, 12:38 AM
said it before and will say it again...

when Levein comes calling for Deek (and he will), Deek should tell him to ram it.

Bad Martini
21-12-2010, 11:11 AM
And so that automatically results in Riordan being victim of an anti-hibs conspiracy :confused:. Levein probably thinkins Riordans not good enough. I actually can't believe the reception I got for reaching dismissing the terrible hypothesis that Riordan doesn't get picked cos 'he's a Hibee bam' :confused. If this was hearts saying this about one of their players you'd be laughing at them!

Most fansI know who support Celtic Hearts Rangers Aberdeen etc wouldn't have him any where near the Scotland XI.

As much as I like Deek as a player I don't think he's at International standard - if he was at that level, he'd be at a better team than us. Don't get me wrong, he's my favourite hibs player; but people remember his good crosses and great goals and forget the multiple games he's been a moany wee passanger with little to no effect on the game - Ok less than a lot of our team in comparison but does that say much? He's missing the qualities in my last post which Scotland scream out for at times.

Putting aside the "bias" (which is part of Levein's reason for not picking Riordan)....moving on to sheer stupidity and incompetence with regard to team selection.

He brought in the stalwart of Iwulmeno :confused: an Englishman from Peckham who missed from 2 yards? Has contributed less than zero to Scotland yet he gets another chance and had he not been injured, would only have made the squad but probably the team!!!

To quote yourself, you think Iwulmeno has "the qualities...which Scotland scream out for at times"?

How about LIECHTENSTEIN - the worldbeaters were Potter, JUST, in the deep depths of injury time (5+ mins) scraped the narrow 2-1 which we didny deserve. We had the laziest player Scotland has ever seen namely, Kris Boyd in the team. You are telling me Boyd does this extra work Riordan doesn't do??? Dont make me laugh.

Here's the starting 11 against the Faroes:

1 Craig Gordon
2 Phillip Bardsley
3 Stephen Crainey
4 Steven Caldwell
5 Daniel Wilson
6 Charles Adam
7 Darren Fletcher
8 Barry Bannan
9 Jamie Mackie
10 Kris Commons
11 Shaun Maloney

You're telling me Riordan couldn't get into THAT team??? Take a look around it...

And you're saying he couldnt even make THIS bench:
12 Cameron Bell
13 James McArthur
14 Garry Kenneth
15 David Goodwillie
19 Craig Bryson
17 Paul Caddis
18 Steven Saunders

Please!!

Feel free to look at the last 6 or 7 games complete with squads here:
http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/international_fixtures.cfm?page=32

Then tell us Riordan could not at least equal (and more likely surpass) a good deal of those players. Some of those players, weren't even PLAYING for their club. Issue number 1. Some of them are sheite. Issue number 2. Some of them are no better/worse than Riordan. Issue Number 3...etc etc.

Call it bias, call it what ye like...for whatever reason, we have one of Scotlands TOP scorers and TOP playmakers (look at his assists) unable to even make a squad for a game against crap like the Faroe Islands and Liechestein who we utterly TOILED against and Lithuania who Barry Robson missed chance after chance after chance with the dead ball. Madness. Only in Scotland would you find someone like Riordan left out.......

Speedy
21-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Putting aside the "bias" (which is part of Levein's reason for not picking Riordan)....moving on to sheer stupidity and incompetence with regard to team selection.

He brought in the stalwart of Iwulmeno :confused: an Englishman from Peckham who missed from 2 yards? Has contributed less than zero to Scotland yet he gets another chance and had he not been injured, would only have made the squad but probably the team!!!

To quote yourself, you think Iwulmeno has "the qualities...which Scotland scream out for at times"?

How about LIECHTENSTEIN - the worldbeaters were Potter, JUST, in the deep depths of injury time (5+ mins) scraped the narrow 2-1 which we didny deserve. We had the laziest player Scotland has ever seen namely, Kris Boyd in the team. You are telling me Boyd does this extra work Riordan doesn't do??? Dont make me laugh.

1 Craig Gordon
2 Phillip Bardsley
3 Stephen Crainey
4 Steven Caldwell
5 Daniel Wilson
6 Charles Adam
7 Darren Fletcher
8 Barry Bannan
9 Jamie Mackie
10 Kris Commons
11 Shaun Maloney

You're telling me Riordan couldn't get into THAT team??? Take a look around it...

12 Cameron Bell
13 James McArthur
14 Garry Kenneth
15 David Goodwillie
19 Craig Bryson
17 Paul Caddis
18 Steven Saunders

Please!!

Then tell us Riordan could not at least equal (and more likely surpass) a good deal of those players. Some of those players, weren't even PLAYING for their club. Issue number 1. Some of them are sheite. Issue number 2. Some of them are no better/worse than Riordan. Issue Number 3...etc etc.

Call it bias, call it what ye like...for whatever reason, we have one of Scotlands TOP scorers and TOP playmakers (look at his assists) unable to even make a squad for a game against crap like the Faroe Islands and Liechestein who we utterly TOILED against and Lithuania who Barry Robson missed chance after chance after chance with the dead ball. Madness. Only in Scotland would you find someone like Riordan left out.......

Iwelumo is Scottish(and I mean that in the sense that he is from Scotland, not that he is eligible for Scotland).

That team has a few youngsters in it but I think it's a very strong midfield and to be honest I can't comment on Mackie because I haven't seen much of him.

Maybe Riordan should get a chance but I'm not convinced there's a conspiracy anywhere.

Perspective
21-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Stopped reading at this point. That would be Iwelumo from Coatbridge, who speaks with a thick Scottish accent?

The same guy who was on fire in the Championship at the time of the game, who along with Steven Fletcher made a real difference after coming on. Yes, he missed a sitter but he also offered things that Riordan couldn't/wouldn't that day.

Barney McGrew
21-12-2010, 11:52 AM
He brought in the stalwart of Iwulmeno :confused: an Englishman from Peckham who missed from 2 yards?

Iwelumo's from Coatbridge BM - if you'd heard him being interviewed, you'd have been able to tell from his broad weegie accent :wink:

I don't doubt that DR is good enough to get into the Scotland squad, but whether he should be starting is another matter. Despite that, it's an utter travesty that Potter has been leaving him out and the pishy reason of him not working hard enough is nothing but a cop out. If Potter had bothered his erse to watch Derek over the last season and a half, he'd have seen that it's an area of his game that he's clearly worked very hard to improve.

And for bizarre squad decisions, it's even more strange that Steven Fletcher wasn't in the squad for the first three games of the campaign this season.

silverhibee
21-12-2010, 12:17 PM
said it before and will say it again...

when Levein comes calling for Deek (and he will), Deek should tell him to ram it.

The problem Derek Riordan has, is this, he is Scottish, his mum and dad are scottish, his grannie and grandad are Scottish, his dog is Scottish, Potter doesn't do home grown Scottish players anymore.
Calling Andy Driver.

Hibercelona
21-12-2010, 12:19 PM
The problem Derek Riordan has, is this, he is Scottish, his mum and dad are scottish, his grannie and grandad are Scottish, his dog is Scottish, Potter doesn't do home grown Scottish players anymore.
Calling Andy Driver.

Exactly! :agree:

"Raise yer hands if ye huv english in yer blood.... Right, yer in!"

Total tosspot of a man! :grr:

Hibernia Na Eir
21-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Just do what a lot of Hibbies do. Dont follow them.

joe_hfc
21-12-2010, 12:43 PM

I think your above point was answered by previous posters so I won't bother repeating

When did I tell you Boyd does more work than Riordan?:confused: The boys got a PHENOMINAL goal-scoring record, however I wouldn't have him in my Scotland team either.B]

1 Craig Gordon
2 Phillip Bardsley
3 Stephen Crainey
4 Steven Caldwell
5 Daniel Wilson
6 Charles Adam
7 Darren Fletcher
8 Barry Bannan
9 Jamie Mackie
10 Kris Commons
11 Shaun Maloney

[B]:agree: Riordan is not at the level of Commons, Maloney, Bannan, Fletcher or Adam

12 Cameron Bell
13 James McArthur
14 Garry Kenneth
15 David Goodwillie
19 Craig Bryson
17 Paul Caddis
18 Steven Saunders

Please!!

Ok he could have pushed for the bench, but about 20 other players will feel that they could have been on that bench too

And that's all because Levein is a Jambo? Are you still sticking that that theory, that while Deek is a Hibee he won't get a game? Because that's what your first post said?

At the end of the day, my point is that I feel that Levin isn't stupid enough to put his career on the line by picking/not picking players based on what club team he supports, and that he's not picking Deek because he probably doesn't think he has the physical or mental attributes to be a benefit to the squad. Whether he's right or wrong, that's up for debate.

joe_hfc
21-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Calling Andy Driver.

So if Driver had Scottish parents he wouldn't be given a second look?!! Is that what you think?

joe_hfc
21-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Iwelumo's from Coatbridge BM - if you'd heard him being interviewed, you'd have been able to tell from his broad weegie accent :wink:

I don't doubt that DR is good enough to get into the Scotland squad, but whether he should be starting is another matter. Despite that, it's an utter travesty that Potter has been leaving him out and the pishy reason of him not working hard enough is nothing but a cop out. If Potter had bothered his erse to watch Derek over the last season and a half, he'd have seen that it's an area of his game that he's clearly worked very hard to improve.

And for bizarre squad decisions, it's even more strange that Steven Fletcher wasn't in the squad for the first three games of the campaign this season.

probably because Levein was notified that he used to play for hibs :wink:

Sir David Gray
21-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Are you being serious?!

His record at Cowdenbeath (full seasons only) was;

98-99 - 9th place in 3rd division
99-00 - 5th place in 3rd division

His record at Hearts (full seasons only) was;

01-02 - 5th place in SPL
02-03 - 3rd place in SPL (Place in UEFA Cup)
03-04 - 3rd place in SPL (Place in UEFA Cup)

His record at Leicester was;

No full season in charge - came in after the 04-05 season had started and was sacked midway through the 05-06 season. He won less than a third of his games in charge at Leicester and in 04-05, Leicester finished in 15th place in the Championship (just 7 points above relegation) and in 05-06, he left them in the relegation zone when he was finally sacked in January '06.

Raith Rovers record - Appointed on a non-contract basis and only lasted for 7 games before taking the job at Dundee Utd.

His record at Dundee Utd (full seasons only) was;

07-08 - 5th place in the SPL
08-09 - 5th place in the SPL

He left halfway through the 09-10 season with Dundee Utd in 4th place in the SPL.

His record at Scotland;

He has won 3 out of his 7 matches in charge of the national side, with only 1 win out of 4 competitive fixtures. That win came against Liechtenstein, in what was one of the worst performances that I can ever recall seeing from the Scottish national team.

He also set up his side to play the most embarrassing formation that I have ever seen from a professional football team in the game against the Czech Republic.

Apart from two good seasons at Hearts and one good half season at Dundee Utd, he has been pretty mediocre in his 13 years as a manager.

There is absolutely no question that Derek Riordan should be in the Scotland squad.

You mention that, to play for Scotland, you must have a good workrate and attitude. You must think that all the players who currently play for Scotland just now have those qualities. Where has playing those kind of players got us in the international world, exactly?

Our last competitive win of any note probably came more than three years ago against Ukraine, by the time the next major tournament arrives (Euro 2012) it will have been at least 14 years since Scotland last competed at a major event and we currently sit outside the top 50 in the world rankings, presently lagging behind the top footballing nations such as Guinea, Bosnia and Burkina Faso.

In the next couple of months, Derek Riordan will become the third highest goalscorer in the history of the SPL and by the end of the season, he will hopefully become only the third player to reach 100 goals in the SPL.

I cannot think of too many Scottish players who have a better track record for scoring goals than Derek Riordan and when you see the kind of garbage performances that we've had to put up with in recent games from Scottish strikers (when Levein decides to play any, that is) I think it's ridiculous that Riordan can't get in the side.

The last time he played for Scotland, over a year ago now against Wales in another dismal Scottish performance where we got hammered 3-0, he came on for the last 12 minutes and did more in that time to threaten the Welsh goal than the other strikers who started (Naismith and Miller) had managed to do in the preceding 78 minutes.

A lot of people will agree with you that Derek Riordan doesn't do enough to justify a place in the Scotland squad and that's fine, even although I totally disagree. However, I strongly suspect that Craig Levein has some personal issues with Riordan, I have thought that ever since I heard his comments on Sportscene a few months ago, and I do not believe that he will ever get a game for Scotland, whilst Levein is in charge, regardless of his form/workrate/attitude at club level.

joe_hfc
21-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Apart from two good seasons at Hearts and one good half season at Dundee Utd, he has been pretty mediocre in his 13 years as a manager.

Naive to think that because he got Utd 5th twice he's had 2 bad seasons. I would argue that they are two exceptional seasons - building a stable squad from grass-routes upwards, making Dundee Utd one of the strongest and most stable clubs on the park in Scotland, able to be a threat for years to come.

There is absolutely no question that Derek Riordan should be in the Scotland squad.

There is, we have better and more accomplished players who have played and excelled at a higher level. DR is above average at hibs, moved on to Celtic and seemingly couldn't cut it.

You mention that, to play for Scotland, you must have a good workrate and attitude. ou must think that all the players who currently play for Scotland just now have those qualities. Where has playing those kind of players got us in the international world, exactly?

Don't assume that's what I think. What I think is that Scotland need that type of player, which is the reason why I believe Deek hasn't been picked. We have enough players who are lazy and don't seem to bother their arse.

Our last competitive win of any note probably came more than three years ago against Ukraine, by the time the next major tournament arrives (Euro 2012) it will have been at least 14 years since Scotland last competed at a major event and we currently sit outside the top 50 in the world rankings, presently lagging behind the top footballing nations such as Guinea, Bosnia and Burkina Faso.

In the next couple of months, Derek Riordan will become the third highest goalscorer in the history of the SPL and by the end of the season, he will hopefully become only the third player to reach 100 goals in the SPL.

I cannot think of too many Scottish players who have a better track record for scoring goals than Derek Riordan and when you see the kind of garbage performances that we've had to put up with in recent games from Scottish strikers (when Levein decides to play any, that is) I think it's ridiculous that Riordan can't get in the side.

The last time he played for Scotland, over a year ago now against Wales in another dismal Scottish performance where we got hammered 3-0, he came on for the last 12 minutes and did more in that time to threaten the Welsh goal than the other strikers who started (Naismith and Miller) had managed to do in the preceding 78 minutes.

A lot of people will agree with you that Derek Riordan doesn't do enough to justify a place in the Scotland squad and that's fine, even although I totally disagree. However, I strongly suspect that Craig Levein has some personal issues with Riordan, I have thought that ever since I heard his comments on Sportscene a few months ago, and I do not believe that he will ever get a game for Scotland, whilst Levein is in charge, regardless of his form/workrate/attitude at club level.

I beleive Levein doesn't see Riordan as having the qualities to improve Scotland as a team. Any other issues with Riordan may be his thinking that Deek is an ********, a trouble-maker, or a 'ned' if you like (which seems to be a shared feeling by many). If this prejudice is the reason then that's pretty childish of Levein, and perhaps bias due to his inclusion of Goodwillie - however, thinking that DR is being over-looked because of the club his heart lies with - that is ridiculous.

Hibs On Tour
21-12-2010, 02:37 PM
He might be the most naturally talented player of his generation, but you can't have ability without the application.

Thank God you're not a coach then. With the likes of you being in charge of a team, the likes of George Best would never have made it even into the professional leagues...

I'd take ability over application everytime. Ability can create things out of nothing, moments of magic which is what we pay to watch and hopefully get excited about enough to actually get out of our seat once in a while. Not to watch a bunch of talentless journeymen who 'track back' and 'put in a shift' and who no doubt 'have a great engine'.

Yes, its great when you get players with both but they are hens teeth. You don't just slate the ones with ability but less application the same as you don't just slate those who play for the shirt but perhaps have less natural talent. You need to get the best out of all types of player. That's called being a manager.

PS - I don't agree for a second that Deeks doesn't put the work in - since he came back from Celtic he's been a far-changed and improved all-round player to the one who left. If people can't see that they need to start looking instead of just remembering what he used to be like...

bighairyfaeleith
21-12-2010, 02:51 PM
This thread reeks

Wotherspiniesta
21-12-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm still finding it funny that you had the cheek to compare Riordan to Berbatov! You've also slated the notion of saying he doesn't work hard-enough, then called him lazy the following sentence (which ironically Deeks work-rate seems to be the basis for you calling my post pish)... Anyway, say he is 'Berbatov-esque' are Scotland really good enough where we can affoard to have players like that on our team?! We need fighters who'll works their balls off and show a great deal of fight and hunger in games, no?

On a smaller scale.

It was a comment on Derek's style of play. He can appear quite lazy. And that wasn't the reason I was calling your post pish. I called your post pish because everything you said was just pish stained pish.

Well we will never know until we start picking quality over headless-chickens. We've been picking players like Kenny Miller who "work their balls off" for years and look where it has got us. The longer Scotland managers continue to ignore players of genuine quality like Derek Riordan then we will continue to fail IMO.

joe_hfc
21-12-2010, 03:18 PM
On a smaller scale.

It was a comment on Derek's style of play. He can appear quite lazy. And that wasn't the reason I was calling your post pish. I called your post pish because everything you said was just pish stained pish.

Well we will never know until we start picking quality over headless-chickens. We've been picking players like Kenny Miller who "work their balls off" for years and look where it has got us. The longer Scotland managers continue to ignore players of genuine quality like Derek Riordan then we will continue to fail IMO.

Agree to disagree. I could be an absolute fud and call that post pish, but I'm not going to, because people have different views on such touchy and fine matters.

mjhibby
21-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Potter and his team selections are a laughing stock and it has been picked up by most scots fans his selection of hertz and arabs players.The guy was a prat of a player,a dickhead of a manager and now a knowall and someone whose dislike of hibs has been obvious throughout his career.Unfortunately now it is affecting scotland and when we fail to qualify im sure loads of fans will look upon the game away to lithuania when we had two good free kick situations in the last 20 mins which would have been ideal for deek to get us the 3 points.
Only when the clown is binned will deek get a chance and how cringeworthy is it that he trawls the lower english leagues when we have a top scorer here at er who he wont pick because of his dislike of hibs.Pathetic in the extreme but that is harry potter for you in a nutshell.Yes i dont like the man and i wish hogg had flattened him instead of the other way around.

Dashing Bob S
21-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Just do what a lot of Hibbies do. Dont follow them.

:top marks Can't understand how anybody can still be bothered with those plonkers.

Still, one man's goose is another man's turkey, and all that.

(See forthcoming goose v turkey thread on Holy Ground.)

God Petrie
21-12-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm still struggling to comprehend how Steven Fletcher (a £7m premiership striker)
doesn't get a game.

I doubt it's a conscious anti-Hibs bias and more a case of he prefers "grafters" to players with actual footballing talent which is simply a symptom of his Hearts anti-football mentality.

Sir David Gray
21-12-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm still struggling to comprehend how Steven Fletcher (a £7m premiership striker)
doesn't get a game.

I doubt it's a conscious anti-Hibs bias and more a case of he prefers "grafters" to players with actual footballing talent which is simply a symptom of his Hearts anti-football mentality.

Fletcher's another who won't play again under Levein. He made a few comments recently, criticising Levein for not playing him against the Czech Republic so I would probably say that he's burned his bridges there for the time being.

johnrebus
21-12-2010, 06:37 PM

ENDOF

Absolutely spot on.

Potter is a nasty, vindictive Yam Troll who has blagged his way into the position of Head Coach of his country with what amounts to a pretty piss poor record,

Can't believe that there are actually some Hibbies that support the 'greetin faced 'git in his attitude to the third highest scorer in the history of the SPL!

:confused:

Tricla
21-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Are you being serious?!

Are you being serious?

Tricla
21-12-2010, 06:47 PM
His record at Cowdenbeath (full seasons only) was;

98-99 - 9th place in 3rd division
99-00 - 5th place in 3rd division

His record at Hearts (full seasons only) was;

01-02 - 5th place in SPL
02-03 - 3rd place in SPL (Place in UEFA Cup)
03-04 - 3rd place in SPL (Place in UEFA Cup)

His record at Leicester was;

No full season in charge - came in after the 04-05 season had started and was sacked midway through the 05-06 season. He won less than a third of his games in charge at Leicester and in 04-05, Leicester finished in 15th place in the Championship (just 7 points above relegation) and in 05-06, he left them in the relegation zone when he was finally sacked in January '06.

Raith Rovers record - Appointed on a non-contract basis and only lasted for 7 games before taking the job at Dundee Utd.

His record at Dundee Utd (full seasons only) was;

07-08 - 5th place in the SPL
08-09 - 5th place in the SPL

He left halfway through the 09-10 season with Dundee Utd in 4th place in the SPL.

His record at Scotland;

He has won 3 out of his 7 matches in charge of the national side, with only 1 win out of 4 competitive fixtures. That win came against Liechtenstein, in what was one of the worst performances that I can ever recall seeing from the Scottish national team.

He also set up his side to play the most embarrassing formation that I have ever seen from a professional football team in the game against the Czech Republic.

You mention that, to play for Scotland, you must have a good workrate and attitude. You must think that all the players who currently play for Scotland just now have those qualities. Where has playing those kind of players got us in the international world, exactly?

clerriehibs
21-12-2010, 09:51 PM
At the end of the day, my point is that I feel that Levin isn't stupid enough to put his career on the line by picking/not picking players based on what club team he supports, and that he's not picking Deek because he probably doesn't think he has the physical or mental attributes to be a benefit to the squad. Whether he's right or wrong, that's up for debate.

If Levein purely & simply was thinking about what was best for Scotland, and not thinking about keeping the doors open at Tannadice or Gorgie for a potential return in the future, then he wouldn't always have been bleating about Driver. Driver isn't in the frame for a Scotland place until such time as he's fit and playing well (altho' that's in theory; reality, as soon as he can run again without a twinge, he'll be in the 1st squad that comes along).
Neither would he have given Goodwillie a game, who shows the off-field tendencies that he questions about Riordan ... altho' Riordan's perceived misbehaviour isn't a patch on Goodwillie's actual.
So, Levein's an arab ****bo erse licker, it's patently obvious.

jane_says
21-12-2010, 10:46 PM
So if Driver had Scottish parents he wouldn't be given a second look?!! Is that what you think?

put andy driver in a hibs shirt. youre telling me an inconsistent player who's barely kicked a ball for about a year would get potters attention? doesnt even need to be a hibs shirt, it's the fact he plays for them that potter goes on and on about him

Perspective
21-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Thank God you're not a coach then. With the likes of you being in charge of a team, the likes of George Best would never have made it even into the professional leagues...

I'd take ability over application everytime. Ability can create things out of nothing, moments of magic which is what we pay to watch and hopefully get excited about enough to actually get out of our seat once in a while. Not to watch a bunch of talentless journeymen who 'track back' and 'put in a shift' and who no doubt 'have a great engine'.

Yes, its great when you get players with both but they are hens teeth. You don't just slate the ones with ability but less application the same as you don't just slate those who play for the shirt but perhaps have less natural talent. You need to get the best out of all types of player. That's called being a manager.

PS - I don't agree for a second that Deeks doesn't put the work in - since he came back from Celtic he's been a far-changed and improved all-round player to the one who left. If people can't see that they need to start looking instead of just remembering what he used to be like...

You've completely missed the point, either intentionally or unintentionally. I'm saying you need ability AND work ethic. If hard graft is good enough for Messi it's certainly good enough for Riordan.

His apologists are part of the problem, indulging his weaknesses instead of driving him to improve. Why was he a failure at Celtic? Gordon Strachan didn't sign him not to play him. He's famously a player's manager who rewards application and talent. Riordan doesn't have the mentality to be a top player.

Those happy with the odd run back or mistimed tackle are deluding themselves. If his off field lifestyle matched his God given talent he'd be quicker over short distances, sharper, blessed with greater stamina and not mentally and physically fatigued near the end of games, which leads to moments of selfish stupidity like the red card or missed penalties.

Those critical of him are not lesser supporters. Maybe we just want more for him, so he truly can fulfil the talent and potential he has as one of the most naturally gifted players I've seen at Hibs. Apologists and hangers on only hold him back.

Brads Laing
22-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Are you being serious?!

Yes thats exactly what we're saying, Deeks has been showing hunger and determination but Potter has spent more time trying to get an injury prone, Hearts ******* who isn't even Scottish and not nearly as talented as Deeks to play for us.

ForeverHibs93
22-12-2010, 10:34 AM
One of the biggest problems with Scottish football is the demand for workers who'll run about all day and get stuck in and give it a right good go but have a lack of ability, I don't think Deeks work rates all that bad, but, even if it was they're very few players in the Scotland squad that can create something out of nothing like Deek can. Also, if Levein isn't bias towards Hearts & the OF, why does Miller start every almost game for us when he scores once every five games? Good player at club level, doesn't cut it for me at international level misses too many easy chances he'd finish on the SPL.

PISTOL1875
22-12-2010, 01:27 PM

ENDOF

That is complete keek man..

Derek Riordan will never play for Scotland because he doesn't have the required workrate for a start and his attitude when its going wrong is awful....

IF he can improve these two things then he will be in with a shout of playing for Scotland....

joe_hfc
22-12-2010, 01:37 PM

Derek Riordan will never play for Scotland because he doesn't have the required workrate for a start and his attitude when its going wrong is awful....

IF he can improve these two things then he will be in with a shout of playing for Scotland....

FINALLY! :top marks

Ritchie
22-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Agree to disagree. I could be an absolute fud and call that post pish, but I'm not going to, because people have different views on such touchy and fine matters.

too late

Beefster
22-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Three pages so far because someone has dared to suggest that Riordan may be partly at fault for his lack of international recognition under five Scotland managers.

I'm going to predict 17 pages blaming Rodders and Calderwood when Riordan leaves in the summer.

Bad Martini
22-12-2010, 02:40 PM

What...like Boyd you mean? The player his own MANAGER dropped, because he was lazy, workshy and didn't no enough "except" score and I would say, regardless of any bias, Boyd was and is FAR lazier than Riordan....

THAT, is my point. If everyone was treated equally, fair doos. Its NOT the case.

FINALLY! :top marks

Perhaps you can expand on this one point then? Why Boyd gets/got a game ahead of Riordan? And not just Boyd, any player who's doing fek all for their club, not playing or playing badly...?

Or pick up on my MAIN point namely, not only being that Riordan isn't in the team (I dont care who's in IF they ALL, to a man, do the job, win and we're sorted) but perhaps cover why we have had players in our team who CANNOT even get a game for their club??????

As has been noted above, not just by me, we must have one of the only national squads in the world where one of our TOP scorers in the country (And, not only scorers, but well up on assists) CANNOT get a sniff, even in a friendly, against a sheite team.

THAT, says it all. Potter is at BEST a useless fud. At worst, a biased yam fudley. Either way, a fudley. That was my point all along......

ENDOF

Bad Martini
22-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Three pages so far because someone has dared to suggest that Riordan may be partly at fault for his lack of international recognition under five Scotland managers.

I'm going to predict 17 pages blaming Rodders and Calderwood when Riordan leaves in the summer.

Not at all. 3 pages asking why one of Scotlands' top strikers (Fact) and playmakers (read assists, also fact) cannot get a game for a team who toil like **** to pass/score and do what matters to win games. Dead balls, particularly bad.

If our needs at this time were for a top keeper, fair dues. Right now, at this time, our needs (barring the 3-0 "trouncing" of the mighty Faroes) are for a playmaker as Fletcher, who does very well for Man Ure has the Brian McClair sydrome namely, he plays well for Man Ure yet plays ***** for Scotland. We need a playmaker AND someone to score...we consistently rely on Miller who has squandered many chances...we rely on McFadden (who I'd have in there most of the time though of late, he's been a bit cold internationally) and we've relied on others like Boyd.....see above point.

My point is, at this time, we could have been doing with a Riordan in the team. Had Riordan been playing as he has this season and last for any other team, I'd say the same. The point is more around what we need, not who they play for. For me, supporting a national team full of huns is hard work but, I support the naitonal team so "who" they play for, doesnt come into it. All that matters is Scotland have the best team out there for the game. That said, with the bawbaggery of the 11-0-0 formations of Potter-esque yamfuddish moronic stupidity, it makes little odds. :rolleyes:

Wotherspiniesta
22-12-2010, 04:03 PM

Which games would they be then? 2-0 down at celtic park, produces a bit of magic to get us back into it.

Home to Motherwell, 1-0 down, scores twice to help us win the match.

Away to Caley, 2-0 down, scores to help reduce the arrears once again.

Killie on Saturday, 2-0 down (again) and gives us hope with another screamer.

The only time he let himself down was the derby where frustration got the better of him.

PISTOL1875
22-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Which games would they be then? 2-0 down at celtic park, produces a bit of magic to get us back into it.

Home to Motherwell, 1-0 down, scores twice to help us win the match.

Away to Caley, 2-0 down, scores to help reduce the arrears once again.

Killie on Saturday, 2-0 down (again) and gives us hope with another screamer.

The only time he let himself down was the derby where frustration got the better of him.

You've just answered your own question.. When Potter seen that , what did you think he was thinking??

The same thing we were all thinking which was , what a ****ing idiot you are riordan....

clerriehibs
22-12-2010, 06:14 PM
You've just answered your own question.. When Potter seen that , what did you think he was thinking??

The same thing we were all thinking which was , what a ****ing idiot you are riordan....

Much the same as anyone who was around at the time was thinking about that ****ing idiot when he broke Graeme Hogg's jaw. But then the injury prone hearts fudley went on, some say, to become a top class defender.

So, not a card worth playing on levein's part.

Wotherspiniesta
22-12-2010, 06:22 PM

In my biased opinion, Levein was probably thinking " Finally, I have an excuse" :greengrin

Yes, that was stupid of him.

But what about the other examples I gave? Hardly signs of a player whos attitude is "awful when things are going wrong" are they? :na na::devil:

Sir David Gray
22-12-2010, 07:00 PM

So he got sent off in one game? Big deal!

I suppose he's had to wait quite a while for Riordan to commit an on-field misdemeanour, since the last red card he picked up (the only other red card of his career) was seven years ago.

And I say that as someone who criticised Riordan at the time for what he did.

He must have been absolutely delighted to see Riordan do what he did in that game.

What did he think of Allan McGregor when he feigned a headbutt at Easter Road this season, trying to get Riordan sent off? Levein claimed he hadn't seen the incident. :rolleyes:

What did he think of McGregor when he aimed a kick at Chris Maguire a couple of months ago?

I don't believe either incident has cost McGregor his place in the Scotland side, quite the opposite actually. Levein continues to publicly state that McGregor is his number one.

What did he think when David Goodwillie was arrested for the umpteenth time last month over a city centre disturbance?

He was rewarded with a call-up to play for the national team a couple of weeks later. :rolleyes:

The odd bit of indiscipline doesn't exclude talented players from playing for other countries. In fact, an odd bit of indiscipline doesn't exclude talented players from playing for Scotland either, as I have already highlighted above.

That's what makes the situation with Riordan even worse.

Cabbage East
22-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Riordan is one of the most talented players this country has produced in decades, there's no way any sane individual can justify his exclusion from a poor Scotland squad. Even Jambo mutants I am forced to associate with agree with this.

Read into that what you will...

skipster7
22-12-2010, 07:16 PM
my first taste of his true yam fuddery (apart from his playing days mullet) was when mowbrays team were getting rave reviews with boozy etc but lost the derby at PBS.instead of being a gracious winner he chose to make snide comments about "not seeing much flair football from Hibs" is if it had been grating on the tool that we were getting a positive press !
Maybe i am being completely irrational but IMO the fud wont consider Riordan for no other reason than he is at Hibs and he can fall back on all the usual pish as a get out clause.
It really is as simple as -Is jamie mackie,goodwillie and countless other numpties more likely to score a goal than Riordan and even S.Fletcher ? even the most hard of thought shouldn't struggle with that one.
Im so convinced of his anti Hibs that when i heard it was between ER or Pittodrie for the Faroes game my first thought was if specky had any say on it there was no way it would be ER.(maybe taken it too far :cool2: but i do detest the twat)

woody47
22-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Potter is a grade one pompous :asshole:
He is so ferking arrogant and has given the national squad NOTHING since he took over. I used to think Brown was a negative national manager as he always set up to negate teams and was happy with ONLY losing by the odd goal.
Now we have Potter who is even more happy to just use one side of the park with his negativity.
Whether he is blinkered when it comes to Deek or even Fletcher is debatable but the fact remains he doesn't appear to have a clue when it comes to picking a side.
I have supported the national side for years but really can't stand this excuse of a manager and if it takes us to get humped over the next so many games to get rid of him, I will happily go along with it.

7Hero
22-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Riordans no good enough, not committed enough and never going to get a look in.

for the record potter is a numpty of a nationalmanager but i dont think derek is good enough im afraid..

PISTOL1875
22-12-2010, 09:32 PM
In my biased opinion, Levein was probably thinking " Finally, I have an excuse" :greengrin

Yes, that was stupid of him.

But what about the other examples I gave? Hardly signs of a player whos attitude is "awful when things are going wrong" are they? :na na::devil:

His attitude is awful.. Do you watch Riordan when it going badly ?? He hides on the left , mumps and moans when he doesnt get the ball and start having a go at other players..

We can continue this discussion all night if you want but the facts remain.. DR will NEVER play for Scotland under CL because his attitude stinks.....

I feel he should be in the national set-up but he isn't...

PISTOL1875
22-12-2010, 09:39 PM

I suppose he's had to wait quite a while for Riordan to commit an on-field misdemeanour, since the last red card he picked up (the only other red card of his career) was seven years ago.

He must have been absolutely delighted to see Riordan do what he did in that game.

What did he think of Allan McGregor when he feigned a headbutt at Easter Road this season, trying to get Riordan sent off? Levein claimed he hadn't seen the incident. :rolleyes:

What did he think of McGregor when he aimed a kick at Chris Maguire a couple of months ago?

I don't believe either incident has cost McGregor his place in the Scotland side, quite the opposite actually. Levein continues to publicly state that McGregor is his number one.

What did he think when David Goodwillie was arrested for the umpteenth time last month over a city centre disturbance?

He was rewarded with a call-up to play for the national team a couple of weeks later. :rolleyes:

The odd bit of indiscipline doesn't exclude talented players from playing for other countries. In fact, an odd bit of indiscipline doesn't exclude talented players from playing for Scotland either, as I have already highlighted above.

Yeh big deal.. He got sent off against Hertz. The team CL played for before he had to quit.. Good move Derek...

Why are you bringing such examples as Alan McGregor and David Goodwillie into the discussion ??.. In response to your question , you will need to ask CL about his thoughts on those seperate incidents..

The fact remains DR isn't gonna play for CL because his attitude and application is lacking at club level..

Wotherspiniesta
22-12-2010, 11:13 PM
His attitude is awful.. Do you watch Riordan when it going badly ?? He hides on the left , mumps and moans when he doesnt get the ball and start having a go at other players..

We can continue this discussion all night if you want but the facts remain.. DR will NEVER play for Scotland under CL because his attitude stinks.....

I feel he should be in the national set-up but he isn't...

How long have you been watching Riordan? Seriously. Riordan " mumps and moans" EVERY game. No matter if we're getting beat or not. But he'll still score a goal out of nothing.

Let's just ignore the numerous examples I gave about when the chips are down, Deek digs us out of a hole.

Just because Riordan doesn't have the work rate as your hero Tevez, doesn't mean his "attitude stinks".

hibsbollah
22-12-2010, 11:26 PM

Agree with all of that:agree:

silverhibee
22-12-2010, 11:54 PM

Potter was even picking a player who was banned from driving in his team.

Sunny1875
23-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Quite honestly i cant see how Deeks or indeed Steven Fletcher would fit in or merit a place in Potter's line up's

after all where would you play them in a 6-6-0 formation

Disgrace of a manager and should have been sacked on Saturday 9th October after that game.

By the time we can no longer even finish second in the group the result in the Synot Tip Arena and the tactics that night will be more to blame than who he does not pick upfront. Disgrace

PISTOL1875
23-12-2010, 10:51 AM
How long have you been watching Riordan? Seriously. Riordan " mumps and moans" EVERY game. No matter if we're getting beat or not. But he'll still score a goal out of nothing.

Let's just ignore the numerous examples I gave about when the chips are down, Deek digs us out of a hole.

Just because Riordan doesn't have the work rate as your hero Tevez, doesn't mean his "attitude stinks".

Have you ever thought that the highlighted must just be the issue here ??