PDA

View Full Version : Play off for the SPL Title?

Barney McGrew
20-12-2010, 07:02 AM
An interesting idea, I'm not sure if it would work or not though

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3309058/Play-off-for-SPL-title.html

Skanko79
20-12-2010, 07:10 AM

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3309058/Play-off-for-SPL-title.html

crazy idea. lets have a crazy scenario to go with a crazy idea, lets say hibs win the league, 20 points clear of hearts, we play of and they win. hardly makes them champions. the team with the most points at the end of the season wins the league, end of.

they do a similar thing in holland (although they dont play of for the title) with the european places and alot of club are up in arms about it as its not really fair.

mind you, it is scotland and anything can happen, i had more faith in the folk running the old sunday maybury league than i do in the halfwits running our game today.

Hank Schrader
20-12-2010, 07:14 AM
Sounds similar to the way Rugby League competitions in England and Australia and also the Australian Rules Football league works.

The problem with this idea is that the best team during the season could walk away empty handed, I cannot imagine the Old Firm would welcome this idea.

Would be refreshing to see other teams given the chance of winning the SPL title though.

Hibbyradge
20-12-2010, 07:28 AM
I'm trying not to knee-jerk against this idea, but it just doesn't seem right.

Play offs for promotion, I can accept, but the league champions are the best team over 9 months, not 2 games at the end of the season.

Danderhall Hibs
20-12-2010, 07:30 AM

Most other sports do it so if it works for them why not in football? Although the vote will likely be 10-2 in favour and rejected.

hibeenicol
20-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Most other sports do it so if it works for them why not in football? Although the vote will likely be 10-2 in favour and rejected.

According to the record a 10-2 in favour will be enough to put it through as it's a restructure of the league.

Danderhall Hibs
20-12-2010, 07:49 AM
According to the record a 10-2 in favour will be enough to put it through as it's a restructure of the league.

Really? That's good news - I thought it was 10-2 for most stuff but 11-1 for the really important stuff.

Caversham Green
20-12-2010, 08:15 AM
It's encouraging to see that other ideas are still being produced and this would give non-OF clubs a reasonable shot at the title, but it doesn't address the problem of teams playing each other four times in a season - indeed each of the top four would play another club six times.

It seems to me that the winter break lends itself to introducing two separate parts to the season with different formats (eg regional or random draw for the first part) with a play-off between the winners of the two parts at the end of the season if necessary.

Part/Time Supporter
20-12-2010, 08:27 AM
The biggest problem with this idea on a practical level (placing OF self interest to one side) is that it would seriously devalue the regular league season. The OF would only need to finish in the top four to qualify for these playoffs - when was the last time either of them failed to do that? You would need to have some significant advantage to finishing higher within the qualifying zone to avoid rendering most of their league games meaningless.

Although it is quite amusing to see the OF reaction to any proposal that threatens their self interest. Every turkey is supposed to vote for Christmas except them of course.

Ozyhibby
20-12-2010, 10:24 AM
This is a great idea. It works really well in Australia and give a great finale to the season. Even if the yams are proposing it i give it my full support.

Danderhall Hibs
20-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Just a thought but given the fact that it値l be an OF final 8/10 times(?) how do they think they値l get this past the police?

The top 6 fixtures are already a carve-up to ensure that Rangers and Celtic play eachother straight after the split to avoid paggers if one of them win the league in front of the other.

joe breezy
20-12-2010, 10:37 AM
It's unethical and imagine the trouble if Celtic win the league by 10 points (or vice versa) then lose the league to the other ugly sister in a 1-0 with a controversial penalty

Not unless it was done like the ice hockey where they play each other to the best of 6 game or so to win the Stanley Cup (I'm not sure the exact process of the Stanley Cup but it's something like that)

IFONLY
20-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Just a thought but given the fact that it値l be an OF final 8/10 times(?) how do they think they値l get this past the police?

The top 6 fixtures are already a carve-up to ensure that Rangers and Celtic play eachother straight after the split to avoid paggers if one of them win the league in front of the other.

8/10 try 10/10

Part/Time Supporter
20-12-2010, 10:41 AM
It's unethical and imagine the trouble if Celtic win the league by 10 points (or vice versa) then lose the league to the other ugly sister in a 1-0 with a controversial penalty

Not unless it was done like the ice hockey where they play each other to the best of 6 game or so to win the Stanley Cup (I'm not sure the exact process of the Stanley Cup but it's something like that)

While accepting that logic, the reaction to this suggestion amply illustrates the hypocrisy of the Old Firm. Play-offs are supposed to be good idea for poor wee diddy teams (ie everyone else), but not for them?

IFONLY
20-12-2010, 10:42 AM

IMO This proposal has as much chance of being voted in as Hibs have of a player swop Rankin for Messi

dangermouse
20-12-2010, 11:16 AM
IMO This proposal has as much chance of being voted in as Hibs have of a player swop Rankin for Messi

Wow! Messi coming to Hibs! Is that happening in January?

hstn747
20-12-2010, 12:01 PM
With this idea, the SPL should not be thought of as a traditional league - it's a qualification process in the same way as World Cup, Euro Champs & Champs League is.

All the talk of leagues of 10, 16, 18 etc is missing the point which is that there is a massive financial inequality in the Scottish game that prevents any other teams from challenging for the title. It seems ridiculous that during the summer we get excited about a competition that we know we have absolutely no chance of competing for.

My view is that we can either tackle the financial problem or tackle the lack of competition with suggestions such as this.

To tackle the financial inequality the non-OF teams would need to force the OF to split gate money and have a more equitable split of TV money. They'd do this by calling the OF's bluff on leaving the SPL.

Changing to a play-off would mean more teams have a (puncher's) chance of winning the title. As it is, money means that no one else can challenge over 38 matches.

Benefits as I see them:

Keep things interesting for longer for non-OF fans
play-offs provide larger crowds
play-offs produce extra tv revenue
more chance that non-OF team could win league on their day
non-OF teams have chance at larger prize money
non-OF teams have chance at Champs league prize money
could then help reduce financial inequality
teams who qualify early can give youngsters more games(good for national team)

ScottB
20-12-2010, 12:18 PM
The Old Firm would love this surely, after all it seems little more than trying to find a way to have more Old Firm matches per season. Unless anyone thinks we will regularly see non Old Firm sides finishing in the top 2...

Caversham Green
20-12-2010, 12:26 PM
The Old Firm would love this surely, after all it seems little more than trying to find a way to have more Old Firm matches per season. Unless anyone thinks we will regularly see non Old Firm sides finishing in the top 2...

They're talking about the top four playing off though. So last season Hibs would have played Rangers home and away at the end of the season and if they'd beaten them (pause for laughter) they would have played the winners between United and Celtc for the championship.

Bad Martini
20-12-2010, 12:26 PM
The league - a mental concept where all teams compete for points over a season. The team with the most points at the end of the season, wins.

This is complex why?

Note: Im also in favour of removing the utterly pointless split too....

Only in Scottish Football's top "league" could anything other than this be considered seriously as a good idea.....given the issues we have administering a simple system like this, I fear the issues we'd face trying to deviate from the pure and simple concept outlined above.

ENDOF

Golden Bear
20-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm trying not to knee-jerk against this idea, but it just doesn't seem right.

Play offs for promotion, I can accept, but the league champions are the best team over 9 months, not 2 games at the end of the season.

100% correct.

It's a half baked idea and still involves the dreaded proposal of a ten team league.

Bad Martini
20-12-2010, 12:28 PM

That's another Greggs rumour squashed then :greengrin

Ah had thought auld Lionel had been spotted on the 26, headin along to Seton Sands to check oot the bay and maybes aquire a tasty wee condo (aka "****ty caravan") on the shore....Ach well. :greengrin

Zorro
20-12-2010, 02:18 PM
As others have said, something similar to the Australian Rules Football structure would actually quite excite me.

A 16 team league, play each other twice. The top 8 go into what the Aussie's call the Finals. So there is always something to play for even in mid table.

The top 8 then go into a quarter final style system, with the top 4 playing the bottom 4 of the 8, till you reach a Grand Final. Would be really exciting! Requires a total change of mindset I accept, away from seeing the 30 games before that as "the league championship".

I would love to see something like that personally. Could rejuvenate the game in Scotland and support a 16 team league.

Andy74
20-12-2010, 03:01 PM
They can all come up with what they want but it seems that everyone who has had their say has conceded that TV companies want 4 Old Firm games at least.

While that is the case the rest is pointless rearranging of the deckchairs.

down the slope
20-12-2010, 03:07 PM
If we were in the playoffs then we could have already played say Ranger four times , then it could go to another two games against them home and away then on top of that there is a chance that you could play them in the cups !, aye refreshing right enough.

Bookkeeper
20-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Another day, another daft idea. It shows how bad things are in Scottish fitba when everybody and their dug is coming up with halfbaked schemes to change things every day!

The short term thinking in this country is brutal. The SFA/SPL/SFL have tinkered with the leagues set up for so long that the product on the pitch is now very poor, there's a lack of opportunities for youngsters coming through, the majority of clubs are on their uppers and the national team are an utter joke.

Absolutely sick-fed up reading about schemes that as others have said amount to moving the deckchairs on the titanic.

Lets get back to basics

Merge the SPL and SFL;

have 2 leagues of 16 or 18 and regionalise the remainder;

play each other once home and away;

no split;

2 up 2 doon;

2 points for a win;

max squad of 25 say with minimum of 8 players under 24.

Oh aye and all games played on a Saturday at 3.00 pm or Wednesday 7.30 pm.

The clubs say they are businesses so time to act like a business and put the customer first and thats the paying punter NOT the tv companies. And yes, the clubs will suffer in the short term IF the tv money diminishes, but there needs to be a recalibration in the game moneywise.

Time to decide if we want sustainable scottish league football in 10-20-30 years or not. Because this present lot are driving the nails into the coffin now.

Littlest Hobo
20-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Please just dae summit tae make us stay awake ffs!!

I'm all for it.....what was it they wanted tae dae again ??:greengrin

Speedy
20-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Another day, another daft idea. It shows how bad things are in Scottish fitba when everybody and their dug is coming up with halfbaked schemes to change things every day!

The short term thinking in this country is brutal. The SFA/SPL/SFL have tinkered with the leagues set up for so long that the product on the pitch is now very poor, there's a lack of opportunities for youngsters coming through, the majority of clubs are on their uppers and the national team are an utter joke.

Absolutely sick-fed up reading about schemes that as others have said amount to moving the deckchairs on the titanic.

Lets get back to basics

Merge the SPL and SFL;

have 2 leagues of 16 or 18 and regionalise the remainder;

play each other once home and away;

no split;

2 up 2 doon;

2 points for a win;

max squad of 25 say with minimum of 8 players under 24.

Oh aye and all games played on a Saturday at 3.00 pm or Wednesday 7.30 pm.

The clubs say they are businesses so time to act like a business and put the customer first and thats the paying punter NOT the tv companies. And yes, the clubs will suffer in the short term IF the tv money diminishes, but there needs to be a recalibration in the game moneywise.

Time to decide if we want sustainable scottish league football in 10-20-30 years or not. Because this present lot are driving the nails into the coffin now.

Like it or not, in business terms the TV companies are customers.

Brando7
20-12-2010, 06:32 PM
With this idea, the SPL should not be thought of as a traditional league - it's a qualification process in the same way as World Cup, Euro Champs & Champs League is.

All the talk of leagues of 10, 16, 18 etc is missing the point which is that there is a massive financial inequality in the Scottish game that prevents any other teams from challenging for the title. It seems ridiculous that during the summer we get excited about a competition that we know we have absolutely no chance of competing for.

My view is that we can either tackle the financial problem or tackle the lack of competition with suggestions such as this.

To tackle the financial inequality the non-OF teams would need to force the OF to split gate money and have a more equitable split of TV money. They'd do this by calling the OF's bluff on leaving the SPL.

Changing to a play-off would mean more teams have a (puncher's) chance of winning the title. As it is, money means that no one else can challenge over 38 matches.

Benefits as I see them:

Keep things interesting for longer for non-OF fans
play-offs provide larger crowds
play-offs produce extra tv revenue
more chance that non-OF team could win league on their day
non-OF teams have chance at larger prize money
non-OF teams have chance at Champs league prize money
could then help reduce financial inequality
teams who qualify early can give youngsters more games(good for national team)

Sky pays the SPL to show Celtic & Rangers games not the other 10 teams, that why they on TV every week hence their percentage of TV cash they recieve each year

Brads Laing
20-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Are you for or against the idea of play-offs deciding who wins the SPL?

Brads Laing
20-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Just to add to the debate, there will be a much better chance of seeing Hibs winning the league if this is brought in. But that also means there is a better chance of seeing Hearts win the league.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Its certainly not going to get any backing from the OF and lets be honest, why would/should it?

down-the-slope
20-12-2010, 07:23 PM
not for league winners......yes for relegation / promotion

Bostonhibby
20-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Crazy idea, why no just make a complete erse of our game and settle it with a giant pagger on telly somewhere, how about Manchester? :take that

Brads Laing
20-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Its certainly not going to get any backing from the OF and lets be honest, why would/should it?
So we have the chance to see the cabbage win the league.

JohnScott
20-12-2010, 09:06 PM
We'd all agree the biggest problem is playing the same teams over and over again. However we all know the SPL teams need the 4 home games against the Old Firm. So why don't we give them that but make them work harder to achieve those 4 games?

My idea would be a 16 team SPL. All teams play each other home and away to give a total of 30 games. Then the league splits into two leagues of eight. The top 8 play each other home and away for the title and European places. 14 games for a total of 44 (as now).

The bottom eight could then play home and away for a trophy such as the Alba cup and the bottom club would be relegated. No play-offs as I dont believe there would be enough teams in the SFL strong enough (other than the champions) to compete consistently in the SPL the following season.

Or how about 10 teams playing each other 6 times a season....................

Stenny
20-12-2010, 09:15 PM

by default, get a ****ing grip!! Daft idea, even worse than having a split in the league.

Stenny
20-12-2010, 09:19 PM
madness, over here it makes the dutch league look nonsense, aint that what cups are for, win a few games and get a trophy, consistent over 30+ games and your the best team for the season and get the credit for it...

16 teams, play home and away and playoffs fors going down and 2nd & 3rd in the first division...

Beefster
20-12-2010, 09:19 PM

Why don't we get representatives of the 12 clubs onto the pitch at the start of the season - first one to kick the ball off the crossbar wins the league for their team?

JohnScott
20-12-2010, 09:34 PM
by default, get a ****ing grip!! Daft idea, even worse than having a split in the league.

So what do you suggest? They will never vote for a league where they lose two home games against Rangers or Celtic. At least my idea guarantees at least one home game against them and for the majority of the present SPL they get their two games. Some like you need to get real mate. Unless you fancy a ton on them voting for a 16 team league playing one game home and away? Or are you a fan of a ten team (yawn) SPL?

Stenny
20-12-2010, 09:43 PM
[/B]

So what do you suggest? They will never vote for a league where they lose two home games against Rangers or Celtic. At least my idea guarantees at least one home game against them and for the majority of the present SPL they get their two games. Some like you need to get real mate. Unless you fancy a ton on them voting for a 16 team league playing one game home and away? Or are you a fan of a ten team (yawn) SPL?

im no interested in who votes for what, as i said id like to see a 16 team league, one home game, one away game, simple really...

who votes for what iv nae idea, but thats what id vote for... a split in the league, no for me... as for home and away games against the weegies, play them once and more chance of it becoming competive and taking more points off them.

JohnScott
20-12-2010, 09:56 PM
im no interested in who votes for what, as i said id like to see a 16 team league, one home game, one away game, simple really...

who votes for what iv nae idea, but thats what id vote for... a split in the league, no for me... as for home and away games against the weegies, play them once and more chance of it becoming competive and taking more points off them.

Thats the point though Stenny, it doesnt matter what we want. I'm all for a bigger league and my opinion is based on the fact that I remember how much i looked forward to the big games when we last had two games a season against Hearts, Rangers and Celtic. Thats six games made for a TV audience.

Stenny
20-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Thats the point though Stenny, it doesnt matter what we want. I'm all for a bigger league and my opinion is based on the fact that I remember how much i looked forward to the big games when we last had two games a season against Hearts, Rangers and Celtic. Thats six games made for a TV audience.

but its messageboard, so its my opinion that i voice, whats going to happen and what we want to see, for me are will be 2 different things... cash cash cash, the best chance of the most income wins..

BoltonHibee
21-12-2010, 07:54 AM
As somebody mentioned earlier. Works to great effect in other sports and in particular Australia.

Makes for a really exciting end to a season and is something different.

Its like endingthe season with a Cup semi and then a Final.

4 teams have a realistic chance of winning the league, not just the predictable 2!

PeeJay
21-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Personally think it's on a par with the current concept of the split. Picture it, the OF are twenty-five points ahead of us and then we win the league because we beat them in a play-off - stupid really.

Still - on reflection - anything that could ruin a season for the OF and move prestige and money away from Glasgow is to be welcomed in my opinion - so, go for it!

Barney McGrew
21-12-2010, 08:11 AM
On the basis that it would clearly piss off both halves of the OF, I think it's a great move.

Jim44
21-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Sounds similar to the way Rugby League competitions in England and Australia and also the Australian Rules Football league works.

The problem with this idea is that the best team during the season could walk away empty handed, I cannot imagine the Old Firm would welcome this idea.
Would be refreshing to see other teams given the chance of winning the SPL title though.

Lennon sitting on the fence again.............. his reaction - "Rubbish.............load of bollocks." :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
21-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Lennon sitting on the fence again.............. his reaction - "Rubbish.............load of bollocks." :greengrin

Anything that dilutes their chance of victory, he will always be against, just like the other bigots too. Thats why i'd vote for it, yet with the voting rigged to 11-1, we all know nothing will get passed unless it helps them.:grr:

Part/Time Supporter
21-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Anything that dilutes their chance of victory, he will always be against, just like the other bigots too. Thats why i'd vote for it, yet with the voting rigged to 11-1, we all know nothing will get passed unless it helps them.:grr:

:agree:

This specific idea is silly, but it is illustrative of the reaction any time Old Firm self interest is threatened.

This working group (including Hibs, shamefully) suggested that playoffs are alright for promotion / relegation. Indeed, Walter Smith said yesterday playoffs might be a good idea for the other teams in the top six, just not first or second, funnily enough. Yet when the other clubs suggest it for the championship, the Old Firm and their media lapdogs fall on it like a ton of bricks.

In the good old days the league and association correctly identified the danger of unrestrained Old Firm power and limited it accordingly, by means such as splitting the gate revenue with the away team, distributing central revenues relatively evenly and having a larger top league.

These restraints have been gradually removed as time has passed, supposedly to help the Old Firm compete better in Europe. Yet the irony is that the Old Firm were most competitive when they gave up large shares of their revenues to other Scottish clubs and only played each other twice in the league (ie from 1960 to 1975).

It's well past time that the other clubs grew a pair and checked this unrestrained power, which has helped to destroy Scottish football as it was once known and respected. Instead we see Hibs (amongst others) conniving with the Old Firm to take a few unwanted scraps off the table.

alexedwards
21-12-2010, 09:34 AM
This:

http://www.dunfermlinepress.com/sport/thepars/articles/2010/12/16/408296-pars-chairmans-anger-at-10team-spl-plan/

blackpoolhibs
21-12-2010, 09:39 AM
:agree:

This specific idea is silly, but it is illustrative of the reaction any time Old Firm self interest is threatened.

This working group (including Hibs, shamefully) suggested that playoffs are alright for promotion / relegation. Indeed, Walter Smith said yesterday playoffs might be a good idea for the other teams in the top six, just not first or second, funnily enough. Yet when the other clubs suggest it for the championship, the Old Firm and their media lapdogs fall on it like a ton of bricks.

In the good old days the league and association correctly identified the danger of unrestrained Old Firm power and limited it accordingly, by means such as splitting the gate revenue with the away team, distributing central revenues relatively evenly and having a larger top league.

These restraints have been gradually removed as time has passed, supposedly to help the Old Firm compete better in Europe. Yet the irony is that the Old Firm were most competitive when they gave up large shares of their revenues to other Scottish clubs and only played each other twice in the league (ie from 1960 to 1975).

It's well past time that the other clubs grew a pair and checked this unrestrained power, which has helped to destroy Scottish football as it was once known and respected. Instead we see Hibs (amongst others) conniving with the Old Firm to take a few unwanted scraps off the table.

I think like you its way past the time clubs grew a pair. Whats very sad imo is we have joined up with the bigots helping them kill the game in Scotland. :boo hoo:

Big Frank
21-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Play off for the league? Nonesense!

Splits are gash aswell!

16 or 18 home and away.

job done!

hstn747
21-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Sky pays the SPL to show Celtic & Rangers games not the other 10 teams, that why they on TV every week hence their percentage of TV cash they recieve each year

I understand that's the reason things are the way they are. Doesn't mean that's how they should be. The OF need the SPL so that they can get into European competitions. We should use this to force them to share the money.

hstn747
21-12-2010, 10:35 AM
We'd all agree the biggest problem is playing the same teams over and over again. However we all know the SPL teams need the 4 home games against the Old Firm. So why don't we give them that but make them work harder to achieve those 4 games?

My idea would be a 16 team SPL. All teams play each other home and away to give a total of 30 games. Then the league splits into two leagues of eight. The top 8 play each other home and away for the title and European places. 14 games for a total of 44 (as now).

The bottom eight could then play home and away for a trophy such as the Alba cup and the bottom club would be relegated. No play-offs as I dont believe there would be enough teams in the SFL strong enough (other than the champions) to compete consistently in the SPL the following season.

Or how about 10 teams playing each other 6 times a season....................

The biggest problem isn't playing each other too often. Changing the size of the league is just re-arranging the deck chairs.

The biggest problem is the complete lack of competition for the SPL title which is a direct result of the OF hoovering up almost all the money in Scottish football.

Sharing gate money & TV money would re-distribute the money better.
A play-off would have the chance of creating more competition.

Surely that's worth upsetting some people's autistic mindsets and changing from 'the team with the most points should win the league' that has seen no other team win the league for 25 YEARS.

Phil MaGlass
21-12-2010, 11:11 AM
I voted for, ONLY to get it right up the OF, it would be funny as fu-- if ICT or we got into the champs league at the expense of the OF. I am against it but wouldnt it be fun.

Gingertosser
21-12-2010, 11:49 AM
This would be a disaster.

The OF would be 20-30 points clear of 5th place by January and leave behind youth teams to play their games for a month, while the full teams would be off whoring themselves around the world playing freindlies for cash :rolleyes:

18 team league is the way to go :agree:

BroxburnHibee
21-12-2010, 05:07 PM

Seems to me that this is the main reason the OF fans are using in their argument against - so don't reconstruct the league because they cant be trusted to behave :confused:

On the basis that it would clearly piss off both halves of the OF, I think it's a great move.

Exactly why I voted yes. Been playing along to their tune for far too long.

Their duopoly being threatened is exactly why they don't like it - no other reason.

Geo_1875
21-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Who honestly thinks that Hibs would stand a chance of winning a knockout competition where the final is played at the end of the season?

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-12-2010, 06:23 PM
I see the slimy yams are up for it, would just be like that spawny manky mob to pull something off like this...god forbid

Hamish
21-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Just let the 2 of them play each other 36 times a season. That would keep the press and their fans happy. The rest of us can then devise a league structure, without Glasgows finest, that helps Scottish Football in general and not just the bigot brothers

Steve-O
22-12-2010, 01:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntyre_System

This is the system they are proposing.

I must admit I found it laughable when I first got to Australia/NZ but when Wellington Phoenix got to 'the finals' last year by virtue of finishing 4th (top 6 go into finals), it really was an exciting time. We got 2 home 'semis' and the crowds at those games were 25,000 and 34,000 respectively, way above the average of about 8,000.

I'm not completely for it, but it would provide a more 'radical' shake-up than the 10 team pish they are proposing.

Although I conceded this would likely involve a 10 team league also.

And to clarify, the team finishing top at the end of the normal season are classed as 'minor premiers' (this guarantees Champions League entry), and the grand final winners are overall 'Champions'. Also worth noting that in the case of the A-League, the top team over the season usually ends up winning the overall title too...

iwasthere1972
22-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Silly idea.

Speaking for myself, should Hibs ever win the SPL I would prefer it to be over the course of the season and not on the merits of a play-off.

aberhibsfc
22-12-2010, 02:43 PM
It would certainly shake the core of our football setup.

Pure football or co-efficient reasons I'd think not. We are aspiring in the hope that one day we would challenge for the title.

For shock factor, money and the chance of breaking the duopoly now and again I'd say yes, we'd have a far more realistic chance of pulling this off now and again. This would help distribute the Champs League wealth amongst the other teams and may over time provide a more competitive league. It's a bonus it would wind up the OF and slightly loosen their grip on Scottish Silverware.

When a play off was in action it would drive attendances but I'd be worried about the games before hand not having as much importance and the possibility of fans dropping off.

TBH, it would be good for other teams to have a shot at the Champs and re-distribute some of the wealth, but I am not American so play-off's for me are more appealing in regards relegeation / promotion. I think that the League should probably be decided over the course of a season and not a couple of games. I would very much like to see the league revamped though to include other teams and play each other twice.

The play-off's have some merit but I am still a bit hesitant to cheer it on.

Keith_M
23-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Stupid idea. As much as I'd love to see another team win the title, this has got to be the daftest, most unfair suggestion to produce that result.

NGH
23-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Instinctively I'm against it and would be horrified if the title is not won by the team that performs best across the season. However it would put the fear of god up the old firm so I'll vote yes.

Black Kyle
24-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Another crazy idea. The league is won and lost over a season not one or two matches.
Think we should focus on improving the product rather than coming up with these ideas.
The days of the Scottish league being up there alongside other larger European national leagues are long gone. Money and the pursuit of money has ruined the beautiful game.

Littlest Hobo
24-12-2010, 06:00 PM
The league system doesn't work now.

Too many rich Arabs/Russian billionaires coming in, no chance for the rest of us who without let's face it there would be no league.

Let's try something new, bring some interest in to our game.

Might attract new faces to come along and support us.

Football is dieing a slow death, and I'm affraid that's being helped by old fuddy duddy old timers who don't want change.

People are walking away from this sport in great numbers, we need something to spice it up a wee bit.