PDA

View Full Version : NHC Sports personality

sambajustice
19-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Usually some "interesting" betting goes on in the 2nd half of this programme...

If anyone is aware of anything, share the wealth eh...? :wink::wink:

hibeeleicester
19-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Bobby smith just got a mention :agree:

AFKA5814_Hibs
19-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Bobby smith just got a mention :agree:

Dont think it was the same Bobby Smith who played for Hibs.

Removed
19-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Dont think it was the same Bobby Smith who played for Hibs.

:agree: pic shown was black and white. He played for spurs I think

Biggie
19-12-2010, 10:53 PM
:agree: pic shown was black and white. He played for spurs I think
That's what I thought when I saw it..I thought "they've got the wrong Bobby Smith" !!!....(actually don't know if a) there was a bobby smith that played for spurs and b) he died this year.....

Anyway, they missed out on Jim Cruikshank as well.....guess it's only a select few sports stars that died in 2010...not honest pros...but without getting too bitchy about it, I assume an honest mistake/omission.

ScottB
19-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Happy enough with AP McCoy winning it, but Phil Taylor second?? Madness.

It was less of a 'we love English football' fest than usual, seeing as they were mince this year. Would have been nice to have seen Paul Di Resta get a mention, for winning the DTM Championship, and Fulham were surely a better shout than Chelsea as a team nomination.

BEEJ
19-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Happy enough with AP McCoy winning it, but Phil Taylor second?? Madness.
I thought that was genuinely hilarious. Darts regarded as a sport! :faf:

Thank heavens he didn't win the thing. The UK Scrabble champion could have been a serious contender next year.

ScottB
20-12-2010, 12:24 AM

Thank heavens he didn't win the thing. The UK Scrabble champion could have been a serious contender next year.

I know!

Reckon he was there as they couldn't think of 10 people without the usual parade of footballers.

Was still stupid that Button didn't win it last year, this year was ripe for giving it to someone like Giggs, since there was no stand out contender among the 10.

son of haggart
20-12-2010, 12:34 AM
I know!

Reckon he was there as they couldn't think of 10 people without the usual parade of footballers.

Was still stupid that Button didn't win it last year, this year was ripe for giving it to someone like Giggs, since there was no stand out contender among the 10.

Still at least Taylor looked well chuffed to have got 2nd - put some of the other miserable looking primadonnas to shame

I did get myself slightly worked up re Bobby Smith no Cruickshanks thing but calmed down after checking Wikopaedia to see the Spurs Smith's record. Still a bit of a daft idea to honour a few - there must have been many more left out.

Pretty Boy
20-12-2010, 08:46 AM

Sport- 1) Any activity or experience that gives enjoyment or recreation; pastime; diversion

2) Such an activity, esp. when competitive, requiring more or less vigorous bodiliy exertion and carried on, sometimes as a profession; according to some traditional form or set of rules.

3) Fun or play

Based on this dictionary definition in what way is darts not a sport?

Skanko79
20-12-2010, 08:50 AM
I think Phil Taylor deserved a shout this year. After what he has achieved in the game he deserves some recognition. His two 9 dart finishes in a row earlier this year were immense.

Darts is certainly a sport on the up.

Part/Time Supporter
20-12-2010, 08:58 AM
That's what I thought when I saw it..I thought "they've got the wrong Bobby Smith" !!!....(actually don't know if a) there was a bobby smith that played for spurs and b) he died this year.....

Anyway, they missed out on Jim Cruikshank as well.....guess it's only a select few sports stars that died in 2010...not honest pros...but without getting too bitchy about it, I assume an honest mistake/omission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Smith_(footballer_born_1933)

Probably best known in Scotland for breaking Eric Caldow's leg in the England - Scotland game at Wembley in 1963. Scotland won 2-1 despite being down to 10 men for over an hour after the injury (no subs then).

HibbyAndy
20-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Sport- 1) Any activity or experience that gives enjoyment or recreation; pastime; diversion

2) Such an activity, esp. when competitive, requiring more or less vigorous bodiliy exertion and carried on, sometimes as a profession; according to some traditional form or set of rules.

3) Fun or play

Spot on. Darts is a sport, And a bloody good one at that :agree:

I think Phil Taylor deserved a shout this year. After what he has achieved in the game he deserves some recognition. His two 9 dart finishes in a row earlier this year were immense.

Darts is certainly a sport on the up.

Sorry to be pedantic but No player (Including Taylor) Has ever hit two 9 darters in a row, He done two in the same match but not back to back.

Skanko79
20-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Spot on. Darts is a sport, And a bloody good one at that :agree:

Sorry to be pedantic but No player (Including Taylor) Has ever hit two 9 darters in a row, He done two in the same match but not back to back.

Sorry, my mistake. still a great achievement though.

HibbyAndy
20-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Sorry, my mistake. still a great achievement though.

Incredible feat :agree:

Shrekko
20-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Incredible feat :agree:

Great feat for a big man :agree:

Darts is a good sport but I can't stand Taylor. Horrible little man who on one hand is constantly talking about his wealth and next minute giving it all the insincere claptrap about being a humble working class boy. I can't remember the last interview he did when he didn't mention money or name drop one of his famous mates. His antics last night were embarrassing e.g. Giving the thumbs up to 'Becks' whilst McCoy is trying to make his winners speech.

Surely McDowall and Haye were much stronger candidates?

Danderhall Hibs
20-12-2010, 11:25 AM

Darts is a good sport but I can't stand Taylor. Horrible little man who on one hand is constantly talking about his wealth and next minute giving it all the insincere claptrap about being a humble working class boy. I can't remember the last interview he did when he didn't mention money or name drop one of his famous mates. His antics last night were embarrassing e.g. Giving the thumbs up to 'Becks' whilst McCoy is trying to make his winners speech.

:agree: I was expecting him to start feeling up Jessica Ennis.

Pretty Boy
20-12-2010, 11:33 AM

Surely McDowall and Haye were much stronger candidates?

Haye should have been nowhere near that shortlist and i say that as both a fan of him and boxing in general.

His world title win was last year. This year he has defended twice. Once against a decent fighter but a safe option in John Ruiz and once in the worst fight i have ever had the misfortune to watch against Audley Harrison.

If they wanted to have a boxer on the list i could name 3 far more deserving candidates. Carl Froch was involved in a fight of the year contender against Mikale Kessler and was unlucky to lose a tight decision and then went on to win his title back in his next fight against the fearsome punching Arthur Abraham, not only did he win he whitewashed a very good fighter. Over the last 2-3 years Carl has shown a refreshing willingness to fight the best available. Amir Khan went accross to the USA and destroyed Paulie Malignaggi is his own back garden, he then followed that up with a truly gritty performance against arguable the hardest puncher pound for pound in boxing Marco Maidana. Thirdly i would suggest Ricky Burns was more deserving than Haye, this year he won an 8 round warm up against Yousseff Al hamidi before claiming a huge upset by beating Roman martinez for the super featherweight title, no one outside the Burns camp gave him a hope in hell of winning that one, he then defended pretty well against Andreas Evensen. It should also be recognised this is a guy who has done things the hard way taken a couple of lossed and fought back, won a commonwealth title and forced his way up to number 1 in the rankings.

Shrekko
20-12-2010, 12:28 PM
May well be other more deserving boxers but Haye was on the shortlist hence the comment which I would stand by. He's a British fighter who is exciting and rightly or wrongly being heavyweight champion always seems to mean more.

As British sportsman go I think he's fairly unique in the way he goes about his business.

BEEJ
20-12-2010, 12:44 PM

3) Fun or play

Or no bodily exertion at all, in the case of darts. :wink:

Clearly a game requiring a significant amount of skill. But a sport? Naah!

ScottB
20-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Or no bodily exertion at all, in the case of darts. :wink:

Clearly a game requiring a significant amount of skill. But a sport? Naah!

Agreed. Darts, snooker et all are games of skill, but I wouldn't call them sports, at least not in comparison with the other people there.

essexhibee
20-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Darts isn't a sport. Agree with scottb its a skill.

Sergey
20-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Darts isn't a sport. Agree with scottb its a skill.

Same could be said for shooting and archery, yet they both get inclusion in the Olympics.

One thing I will say about the 'sport' of darts is that it's not embroiled in drug or gambling scandals.

It's also superb entertainment.

snooky
20-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Same could be said for shooting and archery, yet they both get inclusion in the Olympics.

One thing I will say about the 'sport' of darts is that it's not embroiled in drug or gambling scandals.

It's also superb entertainment.

:kdarts:

:top marks: or should I say "ONE HUNDRED AND EI----GHTY"