PDA

View Full Version : Punk Rock

Dashing Bob S
19-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Was going through my old record collection the other day, and I can't believe how much I used to like that awful garbage.

Phil D. Rolls
19-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Was going through my old record collection the other day, and I can't believe how much I used to like that awful garbage.

I have never considered Garbage or Shirley Manson to be punk. Try checking out The Damned, The Clash, or The Sex Pistols for a sense of what the music was really about.

ps 999, Wire and Magazine really have stood the test of time.

CropleyWasGod
19-12-2010, 05:07 PM

Records? I hear they're making a comeback.

marinello59
19-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Records? I hear they're making a comeback.

There was a bit of backlash against them in the eighties. Roy Castle spearheaded a campaign to break them all. Or something like that.

CropleyWasGod
19-12-2010, 05:14 PM
There was a bit of backlash against them in the eighties. Roy Castle spearheaded a campaign to break them all. Or something like that.

Aye, and look what happened to him. Moan the vinyl....

marinello59
19-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Aye, and look what happened to him. Moan the vinyl....

Passive exposure to Max Bygraves if I remember correctly. All those SingalongaMax albums would make anybody bitter.

greenlex
20-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Was he not a trumpet?

Hillsidehibby
20-12-2010, 09:52 AM
I have never considered Garbage or Shirley Manson to be punk. Try checking out The Damned, The Clash, or The Sex Pistols for a sense of what the music was really about.

ps 999, Wire and Magazine really have stood the test of time.

There was really only 3 punk bands and them's the 3.:agree:

Phil D. Rolls
20-12-2010, 01:34 PM
There was really only 3 punk bands and them's the 3.:agree:

:agree: Although, The Ramones deserve a mention too. It's just that I find it hard to think of Americans as being genuinely punk, London in 76 and early 77 is where it really happened.

marinello59
20-12-2010, 01:47 PM
:agree: Although, The Ramones deserve a mention too. It's just that I find it hard to think of Americans as being genuinely punk, London in 76 and early 77 is where it really happened.

The Ramones were the spark for the whole London scene.

degenerated
20-12-2010, 04:47 PM

I agree it's absolute rubbish and well worth chucking out, or just give them to me and I'll do it for you :greengrin

Seriously, a lot of the generic eighties stuff was garbage. But their was and still is some great punk rock. Ye can't beat it!

degenerated
20-12-2010, 04:49 PM

Apologies but that's just nonsense. America is where the best punk music came from and where it started.

degenerated
20-12-2010, 04:52 PM

Amongst many others, I would suggest that the dictators and johnny thunders & the heartbreakers deserve credit for that too :agree:

MSK
20-12-2010, 05:03 PM
I agree it's absolute rubbish and well worth chucking out, or just give them to me and I'll do it for you :greengrin

Seriously, a lot of the generic eighties stuff was garbage. But their was and still is some great punk rock. Ye can't beat it!I listen to my old stuff almost every day ..certainly beats some o the manufactured guff we get rammed intae oor ears ...:agree:

Hillsidehibby
21-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Apologies but that's just nonsense. America is where the best punk music came from and where it started.

Its all about opinions mate.

To me, Punk Rock was what came out of London in 1976 and died in 1978, although it kicked off a lot of good new wave bands.

Stopped us having to endure Yes, ELP and Genesis etc.

degenerated
21-12-2010, 10:07 AM

To me, Punk Rock was what came out of London in 1976 and died in 1978, although it kicked off a lot of good new wave bands.

but what came out of London in 76-78 was as a result of what was coming out of new york 74 - 76 and from California, Boston, Detroit amongst other places from 75 - 77.

To you punk rock is the first wave of UK Punk Rock, punk rock had existed outwith the UK during and prior to that period, it also existed in UK outwith London during that period as well.

And in my humble opinion there are a lot of better punk rock bands that existed or still exist long after the art school dropouts that lived in their pretentious insular London scene dissapeared up their own @rses.

Hillsidehibby
21-12-2010, 12:00 PM
but what came out of London in 76-78 was as a result of what was coming out of new york 74 - 76 and from California, Boston, Detroit amongst other places from 75 - 77.

To you punk rock is the first wave of UK Punk Rock, punk rock had existed outwith the UK during and prior to that period, it also existed in UK outwith London during that period as well.

And in my humble opinion there are a lot of better punk rock bands that existed or still exist long after the art school dropouts that lived in their pretentious insular London scene dissapeared up their own @rses.

How can you possibly have an opinion................... you are far too young :wink:

degenerated
21-12-2010, 12:15 PM
How can you possibly have an opinion................... you are far too young :wink:

:greengrin

that's possibly why i favoured the later more hardcore type punk bands, mostly american bands that were around in the early eightes like the dead kennedys, black flag, bad religion, minor threat, angry samoans, adolsescents, youth brigade, descendents, D.O.A.......etc

I do like a lot of the first wave uk stuff like the pistols, clash, damned and also manchesters finest - slaughter and the dogs but but was never keen on some of the other ones from around that scene like siouxsie & banshees, subway sect etc as i find their holier than thou attitude towards what is and what isnt punk ridiculous. Halfwits like Vic Goddard seemed to think that punk rock was exclusive to Bromley and existed solely there and then.

If i was to pick a band from that era that (imho) defines punk rock it would be the UK Subs :agree:

it's not a type of music, a haircut or type of fashion - it's a state of mind :greengrin

Hillsidehibby
21-12-2010, 12:35 PM

that's possibly why i favoured the later more hardcore type punk bands, mostly american bands that were around in the early eightes like the dead kennedys, black flag, bad religion, minor threat, angry samoans, adolsescents, youth brigade, descendents, D.O.A.......etc

I do like a lot of the first wave uk stuff like the pistols, clash, damned and also manchesters finest - slaughter and the dogs but but was never keen on some of the other ones from around that scene like siouxsie & banshees, subway sect etc as i find their holier than thou attitude towards what is and what isnt punk ridiculous. Halfwits like Vic Goddard seemed to think that punk rock was exclusive to Bromley and existed solely there and then.

If i was to pick a band from that era that (imho) defines punk rock it would be the UK Subs :agree:

it's not a type of music, a haircut or type of fashion - it's a state of mind :greengrin

Fair comment.

I actually liked the New York Dolls when they first came to the UK but I think it was probably to do with the look.

To us, you were either a Pistols or a Clash man. I chose the short lived one.

Can still remember queing outside the old Virgin Record shop on Frederick Street for Never Mind The Bollocks.

Exciting days when you really felt part of a movement.

PeeJay
21-12-2010, 01:21 PM

Oi! I loved Yes and Genesis (Gabriel's lot) - and I quite liked ELP:na na:

MSK
21-12-2010, 01:45 PM

it's not a type of music, a haircut or type of fashion - it's a state of mind :greengrinDidnae mind Slaughter but i seemed to side to the Blitz ..The Business & the 4 Skins amongst a smattering of the Cockney Rejects, SLF, Sham 69 & Cock Sparrer..

I also listened to ***** such as Peter & the Test Tube Babies & the Toy Dolls ..:hide:

nonshinyfinish
22-12-2010, 10:42 PM

Too young to comment on Subway Sect's attitude, but they were responsible for some cracking tunes. Isn't that the important thing? :dunno:

Phil D. Rolls
23-12-2010, 08:37 AM

Just a personal take, it's clear the Clash copied The Ramones, White Riot for example. Nobody can deny that America was where it started out - the garage bands in the 60s were described as punk. For me though, it doesn't really start till 1976 in London.

Peevemor
23-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Just a personal take, it's clear the Clash copied The Ramones, White Riot for example. Nobody can deny that America was where it started out - the garage bands in the 60s were described as punk. For me though, it doesn't really start till 1976 in London.

That's a bit like saying folk music started with the Corries.

I remember seeing the Dickies at the Odeon and standing next to a bank of speakers. I couldn't hear properly for about 4 days afterward. :greengrin