PDA

View Full Version : Now I am really worried

Alfred E Newman
19-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Calderwood is quoted in the papers this morning as saying that he hopes to bring in at least one new face during the window but doesn`t visulise massive changes as he hasn`t had time to get to know his squad.
Well if he hasn`t sussed them out by now we are in trouble.

Albion Hibs
19-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I am not suprised. I think anyone who thought there was going to be a massive overhall was kidding themselves.

He cant want as many players as you would like, Rod still controls the purse. End of.

SmashinGlass
19-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Calderwood is quoted in the papers this morning as saying that he hopes to bring in at least one new face during the window but doesn`t visulise massive changes as he hasn`t had time to get to know his squad.

Another way to look at it is that he's almost implying they have to improve or be out of the door in the summer. We have seen them play the way they are for ages and are thoroughly hacked off. Calderwood hasn't had that luxury. He can't come out and slag them off in public but you can be sure behind closed doors he has already identified those who are not good enough. This is almost a final chance for those that are on the borderline to improve their performance and commitment.

Phil D. Rolls
19-12-2010, 10:03 AM
I am not suprised. I think anyone who thought there was going to be a massive overhall was kidding themselves.

He cant want as many players as you would like, Rod still controls the purse. End of.

Shurely as "we" would like??? :confused:

one day maybe...
19-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Going to have Zemmama, Duffy, Byrne, Moyes and Booth to call on to strengthen his squad, so maybe one or two loans to see us through until the summer clear out.

RickyS
19-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Another way to look at it is that he's almost implying they have to improve or be out of the door in the summer. We have seen them play the way they are for ages and are thoroughly hacked off. Calderwood hasn't had that luxury. He can't come out and slag them off in public but you can be sure behind closed doors he has already identified those who are not good enough. This is almost a final chance for those that are on the borderline to improve their performance and commitment.

I'm worried about where the majority of these jokers will have us come the end of the season. If Paw Broon improves Aberdeen we could be in desperate trouble. Apart from Ibrox CC has not made us any better, some might argue we are worse.

Hibbyradge
19-12-2010, 10:15 AM

I really, really want a Ferrari 599 GTB, second hand would do, but blow me down with a feather, I control the purse. :wink:

Brads Laing
19-12-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm worried about where the majority of these jokers will have us come the end of the season. If Paw Broon improves Aberdeen we could be in desperate trouble. Apart from Ibrox CC has not made us any better, some might argue we are worse.
What about Motherwell. The games i've seen we have been much better than Yogi's Hibs and even if there are some people who think this you have to give the guy next season before we judge him. This season is already lost because of Yogi, so don't judge CC before he has had any time to do anything.

Golden Bear
19-12-2010, 10:23 AM

Or it proves the point that the current playing squad is of poor quality and worringly, the players are simply not up for the fight.

Survival really is the name of the game this season.

Beefster
19-12-2010, 10:29 AM

That'll be code for "I can't get rid of the majority of the charlatans until the summer so cannot afford to bring many players in in January".

CyberSauzee
19-12-2010, 10:49 AM

CC is never going to state publicly that 'half the squad are just not good enough and there'll be sweeping changes in the next two transfer windows'. Privately though he will have identified who's not in his plans and will be making arrangements to get them shifted. We'll just have to wait and see if he's got a Machiavellian streak in him.

hibeedonald
19-12-2010, 11:16 AM
CC is never going to state publicly that 'half the squad are just not good enough and there'll be sweeping changes in the next two transfer windows'. Privately though he will have identified who's not in his plans and will be making arrangements to get them shifted. We'll just have to wait and see if he's got a Machiavellian streak in him.

:agree: besides zemmama and duffy will almost be like new singings when the're back.

Hibee Daz
19-12-2010, 11:34 AM
What about Motherwell. The games i've seen we have been much better than Yogi's Hibs and even if there are some people who think this you have to give the guy next season before we judge him. This season is already lost because of Yogi, so don't judge CC before he has had any time to do anything.

:top marks

Andy74
19-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Anyone who was expecting much to change in January was being very unrealistic. The summer will be the time for changes.

Cropley10
19-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Shurely as "we" would like??? :confused:

:tee hee:

Hibee Daz
19-12-2010, 11:39 AM
That'll be code for "I can't get rid of the majority of the charlatans until the summer so cannot afford to bring many players in in January".

:agree: We just have to hope this current crop of so called professional fottballer's will grow a set soon, so that we can avoid the drop!:worried::pray:

eastmainsmsh
19-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Quinton fortune is without a club 33 now , Nathan Ellington appears to be getting released by Watford two players with top experience who would do well for us imo Colin Calderwood will get it right tho :thumbsup:

GordonHFC
19-12-2010, 11:48 AM
:agree: besides zemmama and duffy will almost be like new singings when the're back.

Agree but how long will we have Zemmama for before he breaks down again. Its like groundhog day with him !!!!

H18sry
19-12-2010, 11:52 AM
:top marks

jdships
19-12-2010, 11:57 AM

Spot on IMO !! :thumbsup:
No manager worth his salt is after just a few weeks in the job able/ going to commit himself to anything contentious
I imagine he is under no illusions what a task he has on his hands and will take steps to improve things when HE decides/finds better players.
Let's give the man a fair crack at the whip before we start getting on his back :rolleyes:

hibiedude
19-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Anyone who was expecting much to change in January was being very unrealistic. The summer will be the time for changes.

I'll stick my hands up because I was expecting changes in January and not just to steady the ship till the summer but changes that would finally start to see the club being taking serious by the oppostion which hasn't be the case for some time.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2010, 12:08 PM

:agree: I hope he does not panic, and just get any old player just because he's available in January. I hope he can steer this lot through to the end of the season, and do the major surgery thats needed in the summer.

BEEJ
19-12-2010, 12:19 PM
RP does not seem to be sanctioning the early release of players as readily as before with the resultant pay-outs of part of their remaining contracts. We had no such departures in the summer window, which was unusual compared to previous years.

Although less expensive come the January window, there may still be an embargo on releasing players. In which case CC's hands may be tied.

Perhaps if our league position worsens there may be a sudden panic move to release funds towards the end of January.

Sir David Gray
19-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I will start to panic, or be really worried, if we start to hear reports of Calderwood offering new contracts to 13 or 14 of the out-of-contract players and we start the first game of next season with practically the same set of players who played yesterday.

I am expecting just three or four of the out-of-contract players to be offered new deals in the coming months and I fully expect the squad that is named for the opening game of the new season in August to be unrecognisable to the one that was named yesterday.

Nothing major will be done in January, clubs very rarely make root-and-branch changes in January and I don't expect that to happen with Hibs.

We just need to hope that our current set of players are good enough to pick up enough points that allows us to avoid relegation. Personally I think it will be touch-and-go as to whether they will be able to do that but hopefully Zemmama and Duffy will be returning soon and their presence should help.

Alfred E Newman
19-12-2010, 01:09 PM
:agree: I hope he does not panic, and just get any old player just because he's available in January. I hope he can steer this lot through to the end of the season, and do the major surgery thats needed in the summer.

Hopefully it won`t be too late for major surgery in the summer.
This present squad as it is will be struggling to keep us in the league and though I agree that we don`t want "panic buys" there are parts of the side that need attention now.
I see Pa Broon has not taken long to work out that Aberdeen are weak at full back. Unlike us of course!

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2010, 01:15 PM
This present squad as it is will be struggling to keep us in the league and though I agree that we don`t want "panic buys" there are parts of the side that need attention now.
I see Pa Broon has not taken long to work out that Aberdeen are weak at full back. Unlike us of course!

I think we all would like it to happen now, we'd all like the new players in, and the dross emptied in January, but thats not going to happen for a number of reasons, mostly turkeys dont vote for xmas being the major one. Perhaps a loan or 2 in January, with a few leaving might happen, but i cant see CC doing a lot, and i cant see any players leaving unless they are suitably compensated , so thats why i'd imagine the summer could be very interesting indeed.

jdships
19-12-2010, 01:18 PM

Agree with what you say "no panic buy's" please
As for "Paw Broon " signing a full back - McNamee fills me more with excrement than with excitement , he's been "tried and found guilty" at every club he has palyed at :greengrin

sixtwo
19-12-2010, 01:55 PM

There needs to be changes in january. Decisions need to be made regarding players contracts. Having 16 players out of contract is ridiculous and imo is the main reason why we are struggling. We need to be ruthless with players that have no future. Get rid of them now and start building a team for next season. Riordans contract should be a priority. I'd happily see everyone else who is out of contract move on, and let cc replace them with his own players.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2010, 02:25 PM
There needs to be changes in january. Decisions need to be made regarding players contracts. Having 16 players out of contract is ridiculous and imo is the main reason why we are struggling. We need to be ruthless with players that have no future. Get rid of them now and start building a team for next season. Riordans contract should be a priority. I'd happily see everyone else who is out of contract move on, and let cc replace them with his own players.

I don't understand that? If they all had contract, do you think they'd be better players, and play better football?:confused:

PISTOL1875
19-12-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't understand that? If they all had contract, do you think they'd be better players, and play better football?:confused:

Maybe not but they would give a bit more.. IF you're out of contract in the summer , you're hardly out your body on the line are you ??

Who's gonna go in for the big tackle knowing that a bad injury could have them without a club come the start of the new season ???

Dirkster23
19-12-2010, 02:47 PM

The problem we have is that almost all the first team squad are out of contract in the summer. The players who know they won't be getting another contract are in the majority. These players are now more likely to be interested in talking to teams and getting their next contract sorted out than putting a shift in for Hibs.

It works out great for CC being able to re-build the team over the summer, provided we don't get relegated.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Maybe not but they would give a bit more.. IF you're out of contract in the summer , you're hardly out your body on the line are you ??

Who's gonna go in for the big tackle knowing that a bad injury could have them without a club come the start of the new season ???

When did any of that lot do it in the past, even when they had 1-2 years left on their contracts? What happened to players trying to keep their jobs, playing for another contract? :confused:

Stonewall
19-12-2010, 03:29 PM
I can't see there being many changes in January.

Clubs won't want to release players who are doing a good job and we might be interested in. Mostly dross available in January and we've got quite enough of that already thank you.

ekhibee
19-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I think it's a tricky one for the manager. CC will know that there is only a limited budget available, and a limited pool to pick from and to try and bring to the club in January. Personally, I think he has made a bit of a difference from where Hughes had us before, but i'm really not sure if this mob are really capable of a dogfight if it comes down to it, and like everybody else that worries me. This is certainly not CC's fault, he can only try his best with the tools at his disposal, and there might be a few decent loan deals down south that might help to steady the boat at least until the end of the season. And i'm not at all sure either about the impact Zemmama and Duffy might make when they come back. Zemmama has been out a long,long time now, to suggest he's suddenly going to change a very average/poor midfield into a decent one is unrealistic, because very likely it'll take time before he shows the ability he had before his injuries. Duffy hasn't played a game for us yet.He was a decent player the last time he played in the SPL, but he hardly set the world alight at Bristol Rovers or wherever it was he was playing, so we are just hoping more than knowing that he still has that kind of ability left in him. But whatever happens I'm right behind the manager and totally agree that he needs a fair amount of time to get rid of the large amount of dross we have and try and shape his own team.

Alfred E Newman
19-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Agree with what you say "no panic buy's" please
As for "Paw Broon " signing a full back - McNamee fills me more with excrement than with excitement , he's been "tried and found guilty" at every club he has palyed at :greengrin

Of course, unlike our rivals, an added problem for Calderwood is the fact that any players brought in will have to be "Hibs class". :greengrin

jdships
19-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Of course, unlike our rivals, an added problem for Calderwood is the fact that any players brought in will have to be "Hibs class". :greengrin

Quite right !!
As it stands CC is "between a rock and a hard place " with anything he does in the short term
Many people seem to be waiting for him to go tirs up
:rolleyes:

BEEJ
19-12-2010, 05:46 PM
This is certainly not CC's fault, he can only try his best with the tools at his disposal, and there might be a few decent loan deals down south that might help to steady the boat at least until the end of the season.
:agree:

And i'm not at all sure either about the impact Zemmama and Duffy might make when they come back.
Yeah, I would agree with that. Folks perhaps pinning too much hope on these two.

At least their return and the availability of a couple of the youngsters currently on loan will give CC more options.

RickyS
19-12-2010, 05:50 PM

sorry mate don't agree with you there.

(1) these players should be going all out to impress a new manager, and
(2) they should be playing to get a new contract

how many times do you hear stories of players who play well then take their foot of the gas when a new shiny 3yr deal has been signed.
Right now, assuming CC gave them all a clean slate when he started how many have played their way toward a new deal?

Bonnyrigg H.F.C
19-12-2010, 06:12 PM
We need a big turnover of players in January but there won't be. There never is anywhere in January. Realistically the best we can hope for is a couple in. Even if it is a couple of good solid players on loan to tighten us up a bit, along with Zemama and Duffy coming back in to see us through to the end of the season. What is more important I think, is that the players, management etc realize that this is a relegation battle now.

I don't for a minute think that Calderwood doesn't want to change it around massively. As he said in his interview after yesterday, it's not easy in January due to contracts. Lets just make sure wer are in the SPL next year and let him build his team in the summer.

ScottB
19-12-2010, 06:36 PM
What to people expect CC to say to the press exactly?

'As you can see most of my players are mince, I personally can't wait to ship them out of the door but sadly most of them will be hanging around here like a bad smell till the summer, so I'm not sure how many can be brought in to replace these useless wasters.'

I'm sure that would do a great job of motivating the out of contract guys, who like it or not, are going to make up the vast majority of our squad till the summer.

But then maybe that's using a bit too much logic for the folk anxious to jump on the slightest thing as an example of the manager's / the Board's / the club's failings.

NOLA
20-12-2010, 01:01 PM

expecting alot of zouma to turn this team around, and Duffy, who knows what he's like nowadays, i wouldn't be pinning any hopes on them making a difference, we are in a battle, zouma is a luxury player, can we gamble on him?