PDA

View Full Version : Winter World Cup?

ekhibee
18-12-2010, 06:52 PM
I was watching this interview with Ian Holloway, and I have to say I agree with him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackpool/9300866.stm

Danderhall Hibs
19-12-2010, 08:27 AM
So do I. You'd have thought that the fact that it'd be too hot to play football would've come out in the proposals and visits to the country prior to the vote wouldn't you?!

It's like they had already made their minds up and were just going through the motions during the whole bidding process.

lapsedhibee
19-12-2010, 08:57 AM
I was watching this interview with Ian Holloway, and I have to say I agree with him.

Disagree.

Qatar may not be the correct choice for a WC, but Holloway's underlying 'argument' here seriously mings. His logic appears to be:
(1) It's the World cup
(2) England is in the World
therefore
(3) the cup should be staged to suit England.

Aw that How Dare Johnny Foreigner Expect Us, The Greatest League In The World, To Adjust Our Schedules strikes me as (very mildly) little-Englander 'racist'.

Danderhall Hibs
19-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Disagree.

Qatar may not be the correct choice for a WC, but Holloway's underlying 'argument' here seriously mings. His logic appears to be:
(1) It's the World cup
(2) England is in the World
therefore
(3) the cup should be staged to suit England.

Aw that How Dare Johnny Foreigner Expect Us, The Greatest League In The World, To Adjust Our Schedules strikes me as (very mildly) little-Englander 'racist'.

Fair enough - didn't realise it was only the English League that will have to change their scheduling...:wink:

Future17
19-12-2010, 10:15 AM

I hold my hands up to not having watched/heard the interview because Holloway is starting to annoy me these days, but the bidding and voting process was conducted on the basis of a summer World Cup. Why change it now?

7Hero
19-12-2010, 10:16 AM
lost me here, why would only england need to reschedule ??

Removed
19-12-2010, 10:19 AM
lost me here, why would only england need to reschedule ??

Whoosh.....................

lapsedhibee
19-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Fair enough - didn't realise it was only the English League that will have to change their scheduling...:wink:

According to the McLeish Report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9291848.stm), England, Scotland and Portugal are the only European leagues operating without some sort of winter shutdown. I didn't hear Holloway mentioning the other two, so imo he was talking about Engerlund and 'their' tournament - and therefore GIRUY Holloway as well as Beckham, Windsor, Cameron, Thatcher, Churchill, Coe, Carling, etc.

steviecarnie
19-12-2010, 02:50 PM
According to the McLeish Report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9291848.stm), England, Scotland and Portugal are the only European leagues operating without some sort of winter shutdown.

your correct however, every league would be affected as say the WC was in the month of january, all leagues would need to stop early december (latest) to give the squads time to have warm up matches, training camps and generally a little rest for the players etc. not to mention the knock on effect this would have for the next few seasons with leagues finishing later therefore starting later the next season and so on........

ScottB
19-12-2010, 03:12 PM
I was sure that the Qatari's said during the bidding process that their stadia would be air conditioned / climate controlled as an answer to questions over the heat issues.

So they have now gone back on that part of their bid?

I don't have a massive problem with it going there, but if they are already bailing on parts of their bid, it raises big questions as to whether they can host it effectively.

Sir David Gray
19-12-2010, 07:04 PM
I totally agree with him. The world cup should always be played during the Northern Hemisphere summer, when most of the world's weather is at its best.

The Southern Hemisphere doesn't get winters that are as bad as the Northern Hemisphere. You can see that in June and July (when it's our summer) that Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, which are some of the most southern countries in the world, don't have temperatures that are particularly severe and significant snow is rare in the Southern Hemisphere.

Whereas in December and January (when it's our winter), countries like the USA, Russia, the UK, the Nordic nations and several other countries in Europe have very cold temperatures and snow is extremely common.

Qatar's summer conditions are so extreme that they should not be allowed to host a sporting event that will take place outdoors during that time of year. Temperatures in June and July are regularly over 110 degrees fahrenheit, and it is completely impossible to play a sport in that kind of heat. OK, so they're proposing that the 2022 World Cup is held in January, when it's a bit cooler in Qatar, but what happens with European and fans and teams if our winter in 2022 is as bad as what we're getting this year? With airports getting routinely closed due to heavy snow in this country, that could have a massive effect on people travelling to the tournament, when they'll have paid a lot of money for flights, accommodation and tickets.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Australia didn't get the 2022 World Cup. They have a perfect climate for playing football in June and July as it would be their winter but it would not be particularly cold, they have the infrastructure in place to deal effectively with hosting a major event and, whilst football is certainly not the number one sport there, the whole nation is sports mad, has hosted the rugby world cup in recent times and is also due to co-host the cricket world cup in 2015.

They have never hosted the football World Cup and their team has qualified for the last two World Cups and is currently ranked 26th in the rankings. That is much more credible than the current Qatari ranking of 114, even Scotland is above them!

It would also be far more relaxed in Australia than it's going to be in Qatar. People are going to have to watch their step during the time that they are in Qatar because they do have various laws that will be considered completely alien to the way of life that most Westerners are used to.

Steve-O
19-12-2010, 07:31 PM
I totally agree with him. The world cup should always be played during the Northern Hemisphere summer, when most of the world's weather is at its best.

The Southern Hemisphere doesn't get winters that are as bad as the Northern Hemisphere. You can see that in June and July (when it's our summer) that Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, which are some of the most southern countries in the world, don't have temperatures that are particularly severe and significant snow is rare in the Southern Hemisphere.

Whereas in December and January (when it's our winter), countries like the USA, Russia, the UK, the Nordic nations and several other countries in Europe have very cold temperatures and snow is extremely common.

Qatar's summer conditions are so extreme that they should not be allowed to host a sporting event that will take place outdoors during that time of year. Temperatures in June and July are regularly over 110 degrees fahrenheit, and it is completely impossible to play a sport in that kind of heat. OK, so they're proposing that the 2022 World Cup is held in January, when it's a bit cooler in Qatar, but what happens with European and fans and teams if our winter in 2022 is as bad as what we're getting this year? With airports getting routinely closed due to heavy snow in this country, that could have a massive effect on people travelling to the tournament, when they'll have paid a lot of money for flights, accommodation and tickets.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Australia didn't get the 2022 World Cup. They have a perfect climate for playing football in June and July as it would be their winter but it would not be particularly cold, they have the infrastructure in place to deal effectively with hosting a major event and, whilst football is certainly not the number one sport there, the whole nation is sports mad, has hosted the rugby world cup in recent times and is also due to co-host the cricket world cup in 2015.

They have never hosted the football World Cup and their team has qualified for the last two World Cups and is currently ranked 26th in the rankings. That is much more credible than the current Qatari ranking of 114, even Scotland is above them!

It would also be far more relaxed in Australia than it's going to be in Qatar. People are going to have to watch their step during the time that they are in Qatar because they do have various laws that will be considered completely alien to the way of life that most Westerners are used to.

Having spent most of June and July in Melbourne a few years back, I can tell you it does get pretty freezing, and is frequently pishing it down with rain. It's the worst time for a World Cup there, at least in Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, and Sydney. Further North would be ok but I doubt many games would have been played outside those cities, apart from in Brisbane.

Still, temperatures of about 1-10C is a bit better than 45C heat for playing fitba! :agree:

Sir David Gray
19-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Having spent most of June and July in Melbourne a few years back, I can tell you it does get pretty freezing, and is frequently pishing it down with rain. It's the worst time for a World Cup there, at least in Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, and Sydney. Further North would be ok but I doubt many games would have been played outside those cities, apart from in Brisbane.

Still, temperatures of about 1-10C is a bit better than 45C heat for playing fitba! :agree:

I know it's the worst time of the year to hold a world cup in Australia but if you're going to hold it in June/July, I would say there's worse places to hold it, Qatar being one of those places!

Obviously you live in that part of the world so I will bow to your superior knowledge on this one. I was just going on the wikipedia stats on Australian cities for June/July, which is;

Perth

Average high/low in June (C)-19.3/8.6
Average high/low in July (C)-18.3/7.9

Adelaide

Average high/low in June (C)-16.1/8.1
Average high/low in July (C)-15.3/7.5

Sydney

Average high/low in June (C)-16.9/9.3
Average high/low in July (C)-16.3/8.0

Melbourne

Average high/low in June (C)-14.0/6.9
Average high/low in July (C)-13.4/6.0

Brisbane

Average high/low in June (C)-22.0/11.6
Average high/low in July (C)-21.9/9.8

If those temperatures are correct, I would be quite happy to play/watch football in those conditions and it's not much different from watching football in Scotland in July/August most of the time, and that's our summer!

Rainfall might be a bit of a problem during that time of year and I believe it rains, on average, for half of the days in June and July in most Australian cities.

However, like I say you've obviously had experience of an Australian winter so you're clearly better placed to comment.

Perhaps if they ever get it, they should hold all the matches in Darwin - average highs of 30 degrees in June and July and it hardly ever rains then either!

Beautiful! :aok:

Watching the matches over here would be a bit of a bummer though! With the west coast being 8 hours ahead of GMT and the east coast being 10 hours ahead, European fans would be watching a lot of the matches in the early hours of the morning.

Steve-O
19-12-2010, 09:24 PM
I know it's the worst time of the year to hold a world cup in Australia but if you're going to hold it in June/July, I would say there's worse places to hold it, Qatar being one of those places!

Obviously you live in that part of the world so I will bow to your superior knowledge on this one. I was just going on the wikipedia stats on Australian cities for June/July, which is;

Perth

Average high/low in June (C)-19.3/8.6
Average high/low in July (C)-18.3/7.9

Adelaide

Average high/low in June (C)-16.1/8.1
Average high/low in July (C)-15.3/7.5

Sydney

Average high/low in June (C)-16.9/9.3
Average high/low in July (C)-16.3/8.0

Melbourne

Average high/low in June (C)-14.0/6.9
Average high/low in July (C)-13.4/6.0

Brisbane

Average high/low in June (C)-22.0/11.6
Average high/low in July (C)-21.9/9.8

If those temperatures are correct, I would be quite happy to play/watch football in those conditions and it's not much different from watching football in Scotland in July/August most of the time, and that's our summer!

Rainfall might be a bit of a problem during that time of year and I believe it rains, on average, for half of the days in June and July in most Australian cities.

However, like I say you've obviously had experience of an Australian winter so you're clearly better placed to comment.

Perhaps if they ever get it, they should hold all the matches in Darwin - average highs of 30 degrees in June and July and it hardly ever rains then either!

Beautiful! :aok:

Watching the matches over here would be a bit of a bummer though! With the west coast being 8 hours ahead of GMT and the east coast being 10 hours ahead, European fans would be watching a lot of the matches in the early hours of the morning.

I'd say those Melbourne temperatures sound a little bit on the generous side to be honest!

As for the time difference, yes not that great really...although that's what I have to put up with week in, week out over in NZ! I hardly watch any games these days really...4am kick offs are just a little inconvenient :greengrin

Hibernian Verse
20-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Engerlund and 'their' tournament

Re-watch it, 'it's our tournament' was a reference to him being a citizen of the world.

I don't want a winter world cup - I want to be able to go when I finish uni! Can't do that in the winter!

Calvin
20-12-2010, 01:03 AM
I don't want a winter world cup - I want to be able to go when I finish uni! Can't do that in the winter!
You're doing a 12 year course?

Calvin
20-12-2010, 01:07 AM
Personally, I think a winter World Cup is fine. What do the South American teams do when we have it in the Northern Hemisphere summer? Their seasons surely run through our summer so I assume they have to have a mid-season break. Surely it's our shot to have one!

lapsedhibee
20-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Re-watch it, 'it's our tournament' was a reference to him being a citizen of the world.

By stating that he's English and is 'in the world' he implies that Qataris are not properly citizens of the world with equal rights to him. What other reason could he have for stating that he's English? Everyone alive is 'in the world' and by this logic it's everyone's tournament including Qataris'. (Clue to his possible underlying belief system: he's English, England invented then gave its football to the world, it's their sport, football's coming home, greatest fans in the world, etc.) If the rant had been a lot more coherent, Alf Garnett might have been proud.:wink:

Danderhall Hibs
20-12-2010, 07:27 AM
By stating that he's English and is 'in the world' he implies that Qataris are not properly citizens of the world with equal rights to him. What other reason could he have for stating that he's English? Everyone alive is 'in the world' and by this logic it's everyone's tournament including Qataris'. (Clue to his possible underlying belief system: he's English, England invented then gave its football to the world, it's their sport, football's coming home, greatest fans in the world, etc.) If the rant had been a lot more coherent, Alf Garnett might have been proud.:wink:

If you really hate England I think that's how you'd hear it. :greengrin I took it more as him dismissing Quatar as a footballing nation than talking England up.

Part/Time Supporter
20-12-2010, 08:00 AM
I don't have any problem with them moving the World Cup to winter. The timing of other world cups (eg cricket) are regularly changed depending on which country is hosting and the relevant climate.

If anything the English should support this as one of their usual excuses for World Cup failure is that their players are too tired to play well at the end of their season. Surely playing it in mid-season would give them a better chance?

lapsedhibee
20-12-2010, 09:20 AM
If you really hate England I think that's how you'd hear it. :greengrin I took it more as him dismissing Quatar as a footballing nation than talking England up.

I don't hate England, but am still not clear why he mentions that he comes from England, or why he talks about 'our tournament' while referring to the Qataris as 'they'. Quite clearly an 'us and them' mentality, even though Qatar is as much a country in 'the world' as England.

He was definitely dismissing Qatar, but imo as more than just a footballing nation.

Anyway today I'm concerned about world climate. Or, as Ian Holloway might put it, I'm from Scotland, Scotland's in the world, and I'm concerned about world climate. :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
20-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Dont see what the fuss is all about playing the world cup in the winter, if we have a winter break by then for 4 weeks,just add an extra two weeks on that, atleast IF we qualify we will be at peak fitness levels?