PDA

View Full Version : Defensive players as managers?

Halifaxhibby
18-12-2010, 06:01 PM
I will not comment on caldos management at ER until he's able to bring in his own team and get rid of half these oxygen thiefs masquerading as Hibs players(no names will be mentioned but i think we all agree there is several of them) my point is why do we continue to employ managers that played themselves at the back?? calderwood, hughes, mowbray(ok, he was the best we've had in a few years!!),duff jim, mcleish, even big Franck(who wasn't given half the chance that he should have been)
Is it because these ex players are able to take in the whole game as the majority of it is played in front of them and thereof understand the principle factors which may be addressed?(or am i talking *****?, i don't know! i only buy a season ticket and expect a club like ours to be able to employ the right people to bring a wee bit of success i'm not asking for the league but a solid top 4 position should be expected from a club of our stature every year. But we seem so poor at the back these days, just watching the game on alba the now and we are woeful again at the back, they're second goal i could have scored myself!!
Any thoughts????:confused:

Rolo
18-12-2010, 06:05 PM
i agree to an extent - considering the amount of former defenders we've had as managers it's shocking how poor we have been at the back with that experience....

but can i just point out the last former attacker we had as manager was woeful! despite the fact his team won today.

blackpoolhibs
18-12-2010, 06:11 PM
i agree to an extent - considering the amount of former defenders we've had as managers it's shocking how poor we have been at the back with that experience....

but can i just point out the last former attacker we had as manager was woeful! despite the fact his team won today.

I'm not convinced we are that bad defensively? I believe its our midfield thats the problem. They are the players who supply the forwards, and help out the back 4. Can we really say they do any of that?

bingo70
18-12-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm not convinced we are that bad defensively? I believe its our midfield thats the problem. They are the players who supply the forwards, and help out the back 4. Can we really say they do any of that?

I actually think our forwards is where the problem lies.

When the ball goes forward it's not sticking so the midfield try to get up there but by the time they do it's going back over there heads to the defence so there neither helping with the defence or the attack.

IMO It's no coincidence the best we've played recently has been when we've had Trakys up front against the huns and Motherwell.

blackpoolhibs
18-12-2010, 06:18 PM
I actually think our forwards is where the problem lies.

When the ball goes forward it's not sticking so the midfield try to get up there but by the time they do it's going back over there heads to the defence so there neither helping with the defence or the attack.

IMO It's no coincidence the best we've played recently has been when we've had Trakys up front against the huns and Motherwell.

I think there's a bit of that too. :agree:

Rolo
18-12-2010, 06:20 PM
agreed, we need a decent powerful, physical striker who can hold the ball up and lead the line, without that you're losing the battle straight off, the midfield is poor and they aren't helping the back line but ultimately the manager needs to identify those issues, hopefully a few faces can be brought in next month to improve the spine of the team

Dirkster23
18-12-2010, 06:23 PM
I actually think it's the defence, midfield and forwards that are crap!

bingo70
18-12-2010, 06:24 PM
I actually think it's the defence, midfield and forwards that are crap!

i stand corrected, you're spot on :greengrin

Our board and chief executive are **** as well bye the way :agree: