PDA

View Full Version : Today's Referee - Craig Thomson Esq.

BEEJ
18-12-2010, 05:40 PM
In an afternoon when the Hibs fans excelled themselves with their singing, possibly the most apt song was to the officials:

:singing:
Bring back the foreigners,
Bring back the foreigners,....

Craig Thomson - where do you start?

Killie pass-back / keeper handles - play on
Riordan clean tackle in midfield to regain possession - free kick to Killie
Nish fouled down on the right wing / linesman raises his flag - Thomson ignores it
The Miller sending off fiasco - apparently for Violent Conduct rather than a last man tackle. Since when has a trip been deemed to be violent conduct?
The free-kick at the Miller sending off took over 3 minutes to take by the time the fourth official butted in. There were also four subs in the second half; but just three minutes of additional time were played.
Killie player hit in the face by a shot, goes down like he's been the victim of an acid attack. Thomson stops the game while Hibs have possession in an attacking position and restarts with a drop ball to Killie which gets booted back up the park to Brown. If we are now going to deem it a 'head injury' every time a player tales a ball in the face, we will be forever stopping matches.
Nish hits the bar in the last minute. Thomson points for a bye-kick. Killie goalie has a word with him. Thomson changes his mind and awards a free-kick to Killie outside their penalty area. :confused:

Completely clueless. And once again an inept official ruins what could have been an exciting last 15 minutes of play. Once again the referee becomes the headline as everyone - fans and punters alike - scratch their heads in bewilderment at his handling of the game.

Aye bring back the guys from Malta and the likes. They seem to understand how to do the job.

Saorsa
18-12-2010, 05:44 PM
In an afternoon when the Hibs fans excelled themselves with their singing, possibly the most apt song was to the officials:

Nish fouled down on the right wing / linesman raises his flag - Thomson ignores it
The Miller sending off fiasco - apparently for Violent Conduct rather than a last man tackle. Since when has a trip been deemed to be violent conduct?
The free-kick at the Miller sending off took over 3 minutes to take by the time the fourth official butted in. There were also four subs in the second half; but just three minutes of additional time were played.
Killie player hit in the face by a shot, goes down like he's been the victim of an acid attack. Thomson stops the game while Hibs have possession in an attacking position and restarts with a drop ball to Killie which gets booted back up the park to Brown. If we are now going to deem it a 'head injury' every time a player tales a ball in the face, we will be forever stopping matches.
Nish hits the bar in the last minute. Thomson points for a bye-kick. Killie goalie has a word with him. Thomson changes his mind and awards a free-kick to Killie outside their penalty area. :confused:

Completely clueless. And once again an inept official ruins what could have been an exciting last 15 minutes of play. Once again the referee becomes the headline as everyone - fans and punters alike - scratch their heads in bewilderment at his handling of the game.

Aye bring back the guys from Malta and the likes. They seem to understand how to do the job.So another top performance from a Scottish referee then :rolleyes: I wish they'd go on strike again :bye: and we can some decent ones from elsewhere again

northern-hibee
18-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Cue the ref appologist here shortly defending the incompetent fool. Only does it for the love of game bla bla, puts in hours of work midweek bla bla, came thro the grades refing on public park etc etc.

He struts about the park like a freakin circus pony desperate to be centre of attention, thing is, he is so **** you'd think thats the last place he would want to be

Cropley10
18-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Craig is a UEFA/FIFA refferee:confused:

Saorsa
18-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Craig is a UEFA/FIFA refferee:confused:So was Charlie Ricmond and I wouldnae have let him take charge of a game doon the links.

At The Edge
18-12-2010, 07:08 PM
I took Mrs Edge to the game today, apart from the comments that it was ....ing freezing :greengrin, she commented on how bad the ref was, totally inconsistent, bizarre decisions and what was the sending off for, the pass back which wasn't a foul, overruling the linesman on a foul on Nishy.
She hasn't been to a game in many years, but was pretty appauled at the standard of the ref and agreed whole heartedly that he was indeed a spank the monkey!

derekHFC
18-12-2010, 08:06 PM

Aye bring back the guys from Malta and the likes. They seem to understand how to do the job.

Last man isn't an offence :rolleyes: Its "denying a goal scoring opportunity"

Also, it clearly is a head knock if you've been hit in the face. The last time i checked, my face was classed as a part of my head. :greengrin

BEEJ
18-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Also, it clearly is a head knock if you've been hit in the face. The last time i checked, my face was classed as a part of my head. :greengrin
Cheers for the sarcastic riposte. :rolleyes:

The said player did not need to be stretchered off the park; indeed lo and behold, a miraculous recovery became evident once the ball had been safely punted back up towards the Hibs goal.

Head injuries are all about possible damage to the cranium, neck and spinal chord. You know, potentially serious injuries that might have significant consequences for the player.

Hardly think a puffy right cheek qualifies.

3pm
18-12-2010, 10:00 PM
No point blaming Thomson for sending off Miller. He's had petulant kicks at people since he signed and got his comeuppance today. Soft? Yep. Only has himself to blame in my opinion.

BS44
18-12-2010, 10:31 PM
No point blaming Thomson for sending off Miller. He's had petulant kicks at people since he signed and got his comeuppance today. Soft? Yep. Only has himself to blame in my opinion.

He took one for the team today, Sammon was clean through on goal.

Why didn't Thomson send him off immediately, or why didn't he send him off after talking to his linesman? Why did it take the 4th official intervention to finally make the decision to send off Miller?

greenginger
18-12-2010, 11:29 PM
According to the stats. on the BBC web site Kilmarnock committed 3 fouls today and Hibs 18.

Thomson --- GTF.:grr::grr:

PaulSmith
19-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Having just watched the incident I still have no idea what red card offence Miller was supposed to have committed.

It was not even close, I mean not even close, to being VC conduct and the credibility of the decision was shocking given that it was on the say so of the 4th official who was the furthest away from the offence. The Asst ref on the main side was looking at it from one angle 10yards away, Thomson has it covered from the other angle.

If the offence was for VC then Hibs should appeal immediately and Thomson after watching the incident again has no option other than to rescind the red card. I would imagine this will be happening today as with the Hibs game due on Wed it needs a quick decision.

Killiehibbie
19-12-2010, 10:57 AM
I'd be looking for irregular betting patterns on a red card by officials or their relatives. 3 minutes added time was a joke, it should've been a minimum of 5.

BEEJ
19-12-2010, 11:09 AM
According to the stats. on the BBC web site Kilmarnock committed 3 fouls today and Hibs 18.

Thomson --- GTF.:grr::grr:
Quite remarkable, eh? :greengrin

But this is Craig Thomson we're talking about here. UEFA/FIFA qualified apparently. :rolleyes:

Having just watched the incident I still have no idea what red card offence Miller was supposed to have committed.

It was not even close, I mean not even close, to being VC conduct and the credibility of the decision was shocking given that it was on the say so of the 4th official who was the furthest away from the offence. The Asst ref on the main side was looking at it from one angle 10yards away, Thomson has it covered from the other angle.

If the offence was for VC then Hibs should appeal immediately and Thomson after watching the incident again has no option other than to rescind the red card. I would imagine this will be happening today as with the Hibs game due on Wed it needs a quick decision.
The only possible explanation for the red card and the reason for which it was given, is if there was a second incident of violent conduct involving Miller while the free-kick was being set-up.

As ever the paying public grope around in the dark for a possible rationale for the whole episode.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2010, 11:26 AM

Why didn't Thomson send him off immediately, or why didn't he send him off after talking to his linesman? Why did it take the 4th official intervention to finally make the decision to send off Miller?

Naw he wisnae? :confused:

brog
19-12-2010, 11:54 AM

Yep, & if I remember correctly was the only person in the stadium not to realise what Mourinho was up to when he ( CT ) sent off the 2 Real Madrid players recently!

hibee92
19-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Yep, & if I remember correctly was the only person in the stadium not to realise what Mourinho was up to when he ( CT ) sent off the 2 Real Madrid players recently!

to be fair, even if he had noticed he would still have had to send them off through the laws of the game and let UEFA/FIFA deal with further punishment :agree:

edit - still think he was p1sh yesterday though

snooky
19-12-2010, 12:54 PM
to be fair, even if he had noticed he would still have had to send them off through the laws of the game and let UEFA/FIFA deal with further punishment :agree:

Just curious but, could he have given the players 2 red cards each? One for the warranted offence and one for violating the spirit of the game as a whole?

Maybe FIFA should look at adopting a 2nd red card option to stop this kind of farce happening again.

BS44
19-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Naw he wisnae? :confused:

Mate, when I posted that last night I had not seen it on the TV. I was going on what I saw at the match.

Do you think he should have let Sammon run through without fouling him?

Toaods
19-12-2010, 02:04 PM

..ohhhh, it's 'Craig' is it? :greengrin

Billy

Gordon Smith was on BBC and he thought Miller had won the ball therefore it shouldn't have been a foul in the first place and Thompson was right.

When I saw it on TV I couldn't believe that he thought that or that Chic Dung was trying to stir up some controversy with both Mixu and CC over it.

Like me, neither saw it as anything other than a simple foul though Mixu suggested straight red for impeding a man clean through whilst CC merely agreed with the official decision and made it plain that he wasn't disappointed in Miller's actions.

Cod Boy
19-12-2010, 02:07 PM
cant blame the ref for the piss poor marking at killies goals

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Mate, when I posted that last night I had not seen it on the TV. I was going on what I saw at the match.

Do you think he should have let Sammon run through without fouling him?

I think he should have not tackled him, and left it to the defenders who were in place to challenge him. What i do know is it was a foul, just outside the box, never violent conduct, and never a goalscoring opportunity, therefore never a straight red card.

Don Giovanni
19-12-2010, 03:29 PM
As much as the sending off was a baffling decision, it hardly suprises. If the ref thought Miller impeded Sammon how it was worthy of anything more than a yellow card is beyond me. Even a yellow would have been harsh IMO.
And to compound matters we (the fans) will get no explanation as to how the fourth official came to his decision.

Maybe the club should hound the SFA until we get a resignation :rollyeyes

BEEJ
19-12-2010, 05:41 PM
cant blame the ref for the piss poor marking at killies goals
That topic is adequately covered on other threads. Hibs were guilty of their own downfall.

What is very topical, however, is this first experience of domestic officialdom since their strike action / 'pause for reflection' took place.

And we witness this fiasco. :rolleyes: Welcome back, chaps!