PDA

View Full Version : What should ticket prices be? (merged)

fatbloke
17-12-2010, 09:44 PM
What price does everybody think an SPL match should cost across the board at ER and elsewhere. Standards have fallen, value for money is at best a joke, food prices are an absolute rip off, treated like 5h1t at some places, no allowances made for travelling costs for away fans - no wonder away supports falling away. I can feed a family of 4 at the same cost of a cheeseburger meal in most Scottish stadia. What does everyone think.

I will start SPL adult £20 tops, Concessions £10 tops, under 12 £5 tops.

Agree disagree? Answer here or on the back of an unwanted £10 note to my Swiss bank account (I wish)!

LancashireHibby
17-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Sounds fair enough to me, though strangely I quite happily pay £28 for Cat A games yet would be pretty unwilling of doing the same for a game down here. Maybe it's got as much to do with what you make of the 'day out'.

green&left
17-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Cat A
Adults £20, 18 & Under £12, Under 12's £7

Cat B
Adults £15, 18 & Under £10, Under 12's £5

Those prices should be the max. £28 for Hearts and Celtic away, £27 for Cat A games at ER etc etc is absulute criminal. £405 for the new east :faf:
Even the online fee is a rip-off. It was cheaper for Eintracht to process and sent ticket from Frankfurt than it is for Hibs to send a few tickets along Ferry Rd.

I'd happilly take a slash in ticket prices across the board if it means taking a dent in quality of players, 'cos lets face it, the quality just now is utter p1sh.

Sumner
17-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Saturdays : £20-£25, concessions £10

Midweek : £18-£20, concessions £8

Midweek Winter £15, concessions £5

Chairmen need to get REAL, a lot of skint folk
and a lot of very ******y product on the park

GreenCastle
17-12-2010, 10:34 PM
No more than 20 quid.

The value for money is just not there :grr:

The German model for football is the way forward.

Lucius Apuleius
18-12-2010, 04:34 AM
What it is is what it is and I am happy to pay that. Yes the product is pretty bad at the minute but what happens if we start paying lower wages? We get worse players and the downward spiral continues. I personally don't think £27 is too much for 90 minutes entertainment, whenther it is entertaining or not.

What is this much vaunted German model NJ? I am sure I heard someone on telly the other week moaning about the prices of tickets for some German game that was in the 100s of Euros.

matty_f
18-12-2010, 07:15 AM
What it is is what it is and I am happy to pay that. Yes the product is pretty bad at the minute but what happens if we start paying lower wages? We get worse players and the downward spiral continues. I personally don't think £27 is too much for 90 minutes entertainment, whenther it is entertaining or not.

What is this much vaunted German model NJ? I am sure I heard someone on telly the other week moaning about the prices of tickets for some German game that was in the 100s of Euros.

I think £27 is too much for what we get, to be honest. Problem is that we have to charge that to put out the standard that we have now - can you imagine what we'd be watching if we had to attract the next level of player down?

The average price per game at Easter Road this season was quoted as £12 by the club. Not sure how much cheaper they could realistically take it without it having a detrimental effect on the quality of player we can sign.

Mikey
18-12-2010, 07:22 AM
What price does everybody think an SPL match should cost across the board at ER and elsewhere. Hibs have a £2m shortfall every year and the fans would like to keep Riordan in the team for next season, as well as adding some players of similar quality. On top of that we've got a fantastic new stand and there's the training centre to run as well.

I will start SPL adult £27 tops, Concessions £16 tops, under 12 £10 tops.

Agree disagree? Answer here or on the back of an unwanted £10 note to my Swiss bank account (I wish)!

green&left
18-12-2010, 08:09 AM
I think £27 is too much for what we get, to be honest. Problem is that we have to charge that to put out the standard that we have now - can you imagine what we'd be watching if we had to attract the next level of player down?

The average price per game at Easter Road this season was quoted as £12 by the club. Not sure how much cheaper they could realistically take it without it having a detrimental effect on the quality of player we can sign.

That includes kids, OAPS and students etc, so its a load of bollocks really, as a guy on their own who has a season ticket for the East works out £21.35.

I've had a Eintracht Frankfurt ticket for £18 this year and even a Slovan Bratislava and Cracovia ticket for about 3 quid. Granted for the later two the quality wasn't quite as good as the SPL, was at 7 times worse though as the price suggests, no chance.

£28 for Hearts away is 5 hours work for people on a minimum/near minimum wage :bitchy:

Mikey
18-12-2010, 08:25 AM
The people who bang on and on and on and on about "the German model" conveniently forget about the TV money they get.

Barney McGrew
18-12-2010, 08:27 AM
The people who bang on and on and on and on about "the German model" conveniently forget about the TV money they get.

And the much higher advertising and sponsorship money

s.a.m
18-12-2010, 08:57 AM
I think it's a tricky one. On the one hand, the ticket prices can be justified by the costs of running a football club. On the other, ticket prices seem way beyond what they are 'worth': generally poor quality on-field product; uncompetitive league that we can't, realistically win, and add to that that the prices are just too high for an event that involves a weekly or fortnightly committment for a lot of people. I would say that the costs of running football have outgrown the value of the product to its consumers.

If I were to come up with a suitable price for SPL games, £15 or £16 (£7 or £8 concessions) feels about the right price for the product. I realise that this is unsustainable, and that lower prices do not automatically produce more punters, but I'm struggling to see how current prices represent value for money.

Bostonhibby
18-12-2010, 08:59 AM
What price does everybody think an SPL match should cost across the board at ER and elsewhere. Standards have fallen, value for money is at best a joke, food prices are an absolute rip off, treated like 5h1t at some places, no allowances made for travelling costs for away fans - no wonder away supports falling away. I can feed a family of 4 at the same cost of a cheeseburger meal in most Scottish stadia. What does everyone think.

I will start SPL adult £20 tops, Concessions £10 tops, under 12 £5 tops.

I go to games in England from Championship level right through to non league unibond / conference ( I won't give the EPL teams the money) and looking at what I see and pay across the board I agree the above is about right. Lucky we don't pay what we think its worth at the end :wink:

Jack
18-12-2010, 09:04 AM
It seems there are around 10,000 'happy' enough to shell out over £400 on a season ticket. The club has/had a mantra of not wanting to upset ST holders by selling cheap tickets.
I've often said that ST holders should be used as the clubs salespeople - we are already committed to the cause. Bring mates for tenners; weans for a fiver; your other half for half.
I saw a headline about an OF deal but didn't bother reading it. But want about a month deal depending on how many home games? January £60 or whatever for 3 games - without looking that might be 2 OF and the cup game.
Hibs already do quite a lot, I'm just not sure its directed as well as it could be.

Bostonhibby
18-12-2010, 09:07 AM
It seems there are around 10,000 'happy' enough to shell out over £400 on a season ticket. The club has/had a mantra of not wanting to upset ST holders by selling cheap tickets.
I've often said that ST holders should be used as the clubs salespeople - we are already committed to the cause. Bring mates for tenners; weans for a fiver; your other half for half.
I saw a headline about an OF deal but didn't bother reading it. But want about a month deal depending on how many home games? January £60 or whatever for 3 games - without looking that might be 2 OF and the cup game.
Hibs already do quite a lot, I'm just not sure its directed as well as it could be.

:agree:Great idea Jack, that could be its undoing!

snooky
18-12-2010, 09:07 AM
I think it's a tricky one. On the one hand, the ticket prices can be justified by the costs of running a football club. On the other, ticket prices seem way beyond what they are 'worth': generally poor quality on-field product; uncompetitive league that we can't, realistically win, and add to that that the prices are just too high for an event that involves a weekly or fortnightly committment for a lot of people. I would say that the costs of running football have outgrown the value of the product to its consumers.
If I were to come up with a suitable price for SPL games, £15 or £16 (£7 or £8 concessions) feels about the right price for the product. I realise that this is unsustainable, and that lower prices do not automatically produce more punters, but I'm struggling to see how current prices represent value for money.

:agree:

green&left
18-12-2010, 09:08 AM
It seems there are around 10,000 'happy' enough to shell out over £400 on a season ticket. The club has/had a mantra of not wanting to upset ST holders by selling cheap tickets..

Nae chance. Its probably half of that. I don't think we even have 10k season ticket holders this season, going by some of our home crowds. Probably around 5000 'full paying' with 4000 concessions/students/oaps.

green&left
18-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Ticket stub here for Celtic v Hibs (http://www.celticprogrammesonline.com/PROGRAMME%20COVERS/9192/hibs9192a1ticket.gif) 1991, £8. Using an inlfation calculator the ticket price today should be around £14, we are infact paying almost double that!

marinello59
18-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Ticket stub here for Celtic v Hibs (http://www.celticprogrammesonline.com/PROGRAMME%20COVERS/9192/hibs9192a1ticket.gif) 1991, £8. Using an inlfation calculator the ticket price today should be around £14, we are infact paying almost double that!
And how much do you think players wages have increased in the same period?

snooky
18-12-2010, 09:29 AM

...and there lies part of the problem with football today.

marinello59
18-12-2010, 09:32 AM
...and there lies part of the problem with football today.

Sadly. Ordinary players get paid extraordinary wages which we have to pay for at the gate. How long before we all say enough is enough?

Twiglet
18-12-2010, 09:42 AM
I'd like to see concession be over 60s. I think that may encourage some more people to come to the odd match as well as get season tickets.
With quite a few people retiring at 60 they may be less inclined to renew their ticket as it's a luxury, or go to fewer games because they have to pay a full adult cost until they're 65, and by that time they may just not bother as they've got out of the habit so to speak.

(I'm 27 by the way so it wouldn't affect me for many many years).

greenlex
18-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Heard it all before Mikey.

Mikey
18-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Heard it all before Mikey.

:greengrin

down-the-slope
18-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Maybe against the flow here..but I think Season prices are about right. I'm happy enough to pay more to allow kids / students (some of them anyway :wink:) / OAP's to get such good deals..as already stated the average ST match price is £12.....how much less could that be realisically made if we want to have a half decent club going forward :rolleyes:

In terms of value v entertainment....I am less than convinced that the standard has fallen as some seem to beleive...I have watched some right keek over the past 25 + years, as well as some really good stuff...what has happened is that there are far more options of entertainment and ways to spend money that football needs to compete with now internet / TV / cinema / concerts / restaurants etc etc all which are on a different level or completly new from years ago. In years gone by the match was almost a whole day event (breakfast / travel / pub / match / travel / pub etc)...I would suggest that its now for a large majority just 2/3 hours sqeezed into ever more busy lives. I can be on here (back out in East Lothian) spouting guff 40 mins after a final whistle these days....back in the 80's I would goto a match at 10 am ish and do well to get home the same day......

What i do think is ridiculous is the cost of the add on stuff...Shirts / Stadia food etc. I refuse to pay a premium for the dross thats considered food / drink in stadia. At ER you can't even get a Black Coffee (not that it would be palattable if you could):confused:
As an example you can have 2 restaurant meals in a Wetherspoons for the cost of an ER 'meal deal'....i don't think so. I for the past 2 years go via Greggs on Easter Road and buy a couple of pastries a black coffee and a doughnut which costs me £3/£4 compared to about £9 inside ER with no comparison in quality...these i take in with me...
I simply don't understand people perpetuating the shocking lack of quality and cost of stadia food by continuing to use them....vote with your wallet

GreenCastle
18-12-2010, 10:11 AM

Have a read of this - and tell me what you think

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8589872.stm

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/03/11/fan-ownership-the-bundesliga-model/

Lucius Apuleius
18-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Have a read of this - and tell me what you think

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8589872.stm

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/03/11/fan-ownership-the-bundesliga-model/

Thanks mate. A lot of good points. A lot of things that just will not happen in my opinion in Scotland, and that includes the fans owning the clubs. One thing that seems to be lissing though is the pricing structure unless I have missed it. It saus some guy was able to stand for 12 Euros. That is good, how much is it to sit in a comfy (debatable) seat with an unrestricted view? Definitely not getting at you here NJ, I am just a wee bit intrigued by it all.

GreenCastle
18-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks mate. A lot of good points. A lot of things that just will not happen in my opinion in Scotland, and that includes the fans owning the clubs. One thing that seems to be lissing though is the pricing structure unless I have missed it. It saus some guy was able to stand for 12 Euros. That is good, how much is it to sit in a comfy (debatable) seat with an unrestricted view? Definitely not getting at you here NJ, I am just a wee bit intrigued by it all.

The stadiums in Germany are all pretty good - it obviously helps that they staged the World Cup in 2006.

The other thing about the German league is that it's not just cheap it's competitive - compare this to this to other leagues where they is a big 2 or 4 or 5 - in Germany its different.

Lucius Apuleius
18-12-2010, 12:06 PM
The stadiums in Germany are all pretty good - it obviously helps that they staged the World Cup in 2006.

The other thing about the German league is that it's not just cheap it's competitive - compare this to this to other leagues where they is a big 2 or 4 or 5 - in Germany its different.

The last sentence I fully agree with. Without looking up stats etc, it is the only league I can think of where it seems to be a different team challenging on an annual basis. I said many years ago and it still something I maintain in defence of our two horse race, when faced by people abroad asking who the hell Hibs were, that before the advent of satelite telly, very few people would have been able to name more than the top two or three teams in any country because it was the same teams who won everything. Still is.
Still not given me a price for a comfy seat :greengrin

Taz_hibee
18-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Don't think kids under 16 or Oap's should be paying more than £5

Jack
18-12-2010, 12:33 PM

Just been on the main site and I see the OF package is £50. If they had just added the cup game in, which is likely to be a tenner, maybe £15, anyway what size of crowd would we have had for against Ayr. I’d hazard a guess at a couple of thousand more at least! With possibly a couple thousand more tenners in the bank for the no shows.

Alfred E Newman
18-12-2010, 12:39 PM
£10 adults £5 concessions.

sesoim
18-12-2010, 10:24 PM
£10 adults £5 concessions.

:agree: Pretty much agree, but I know certain (richer) fans here will disagree. Folk can put out propaganda about rising players' demands and training facilities etc, but what we are seeing on the park isn't worth over £20. I stopped buying a season ticket a few years ago because I simply didn't feel it was worth the money+travelling costs etc, and now i can't afford to go regularly anyway. Its' up to the individual fan what they think it is worth, but I doubt there are many working class fans who think current prices are worth it. Hibs as a team aren't any better now than we were in the late 80s, so why should we pay a lot more (inflation taken into account) now?

The way things are going, in a few years we will have a hardcore of 7000 wealthy fans keeping the club afloat, rather than 15000 regulars who aren't going skint in order to support their team. I know Hibs wouldn't want to risk changing prices too much, but cheaper prices/offers leads to bigger crowds and bigger advertising revenue and more money in other ways.

s.a.m
19-12-2010, 02:48 AM
The last sentence I fully agree with. Without looking up stats etc, it is the only league I can think of where it seems to be a different team challenging on an annual basis. I said many years ago and it still something I maintain in defence of our two horse race, when faced by people abroad asking who the hell Hibs were, that before the advent of satelite telly, very few people would have been able to name more than the top two or three teams in any country because it was the same teams who won everything. Still is.
Still not given me a price for a comfy seat :greengrin

Well.......I'm not able to help either. BUT next door, in Austria, we went to see Rapid Vienna in the Uefa Cup this summer. We paid 16 Euros(8 for the children).

green&left
19-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Same time though, how much has TV revenue increased? Sponsorships and other commercial revenue aswell (executive tickets, club merch etc etc).

seanshow
19-12-2010, 12:10 PM
£16 and £8. adult and 2 kids in for £30odd quid is about right for what's on show, people vote with their feet and every year there's an increase of alternative activites and entertainment, other than football.

I'ts not rocket science hence the stadiums are half empty.

Keith_M
19-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Well.......I'm not able to help either. BUT next door, in Austria, we went to see Rapid Vienna in the Uefa Cup this summer. We paid 16 Euros(8 for the children).

That must have been a special offer for that game. The standard prices at Rapid are around 23Euros for a league game. There's also no terracing.

As for german prices, try to get these in perspective. The terracing prices are fantastic value, but the cost of attending a Bundesliga game (seated) is between 20 to 50 Euros. That's part of the reason they can provide discounted standing areas, along with the TV revenue.

People have quoted different prices they think the SPL should be. A lot of that will depend on people's income. The actual 'german model', in pricing terms, is to cater for people of different means, whereby tickets for a game range from about 12 to 50 Euros. That just doesn't happen here, where it's seems to be the same for all parts of the ground.

DC_Hibs
19-12-2010, 05:04 PM
That must have been a special offer for that game. The standard prices at Rapid are around 23Euros for a league game. There's also no terracing.

As for german prices, try to get these in perspective. The terracing prices are fantastic value, but the cost of attending a Bundesliga game (seated) is between 20 to 50 Euros. That's part of the reason they can provide discounted standing areas, along with the TV revenue.

People have quoted different prices they think the SPL should be. A lot of that will depend on people's income. The actual 'german model', in pricing terms, is to cater for people of different means, whereby tickets for a game range from about 12 to 50 Euros. That just doesn't happen here, where it's seems to be the same for all parts of the ground.

Indeed, and its not easy to get your hands on standing ticket for games

Paid well over 40quid for seat at Bayern last month after the 10% the selling club adds and postage. Schalke seats will be €30, 40 and 50 before add ons.

Was quite a few unsold for Cologne away last weekend as folk werent happy at paying €33 (again before add ons).

The germans might need to have a rethink

Sumner
19-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Those end of season games
where the players could not give one damn
(.. you know the Hibs 0 Motherwell 2 kind of games)
as the squad are merely thinking about their holidays
- what price those? How about **** All ? :agree: