PDA

View Full Version : Lee Currie - told he can leave

RickyS
14-12-2010, 11:36 PM
scotsman reporting CC has told him he can leave. never seen the lad play but I know a few folk on here rate him highly.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Colin-Calderwood-to-let-Lee.6661002.jp

Diclonius
14-12-2010, 11:42 PM
That's 2 down from the 8 cup winning youngsters now.

With Currie and Deane gone we have Booth, Byrne, Flynn, Moyes, Welsh and Wotherspoon left. Let's hope they all make the grade.

RickyS
14-12-2010, 11:54 PM
That's 2 down from the 8 cup winning youngsters now.

With Currie and Deane gone we have Booth, Byrne, Flynn, Moyes, Welsh and Wotherspoon left. Let's hope they all make the grade.
:agree: I hope he gets fixed up with a club soon. I heard that Kevin McCann is next. just a rumour but he was one I had high hopes for but maybe with the injuries he has had a season or two elsewhere would do him good.

IWasThere2016
14-12-2010, 11:56 PM
First of many - not just youngsters either.

Can see CC having a huge clearout.

We need more bottle, goals, flair and pace injected into this side asap.

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2010, 06:07 AM

I've no doubt he'll have a huge clearout - just like Yogi had planned. There's loads of them out of contract in January/this summer so CC's just following through what Yogi started.

hibee4life1983
15-12-2010, 06:10 AM
Currie is one we should be keeping. Hes been awesome when iv seen him play

Beefster
15-12-2010, 06:26 AM
Currie is one we should be keeping. Hes been awesome when iv seen him play

The coaches at Hibs will see him every day. They know what they're doing.

Gmack7
15-12-2010, 06:41 AM
i hope so,as for kevin mcann i hope the poster above is of the mark as what ive seen so far i dont think hart is much better than mcann

calumhibee1
15-12-2010, 07:21 AM
Usually that would have been what I said. But with the state we're in just now I really wonder if they do.. :boo hoo:

truehibernian
15-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Really depends where CC saw Lee's best position for the first team. Booth is the better full back and offers far more going forward IMHO. Lee's strength from what I saw is his desire and dig. Can fairly whack a ball from a set piece too. Strange decision I have to say. Looks like we are keeping Rankin then, because again only as I see it, Lee could be a more than adequate back up/replacement for him in midfield.

scoopyboy
15-12-2010, 08:38 AM
I'm disappointed with this news although I think Lee himself might have approached Hibs to get the ball rolling. I think he realises he needs to be playing football regularly if he is to make a career out of the game.

I wish him well.

truehibernian
15-12-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm disappointed with this news although I think Lee himself might have approached Hibs to get the ball rolling. I think he realises he needs to be playing football regularly if he is to make a career out of the game.

I wish him well.

Likewise scoopy, very disappointed if that's the case. Even a loan move would have maybe been benificial for him.

Any news on Sean Welsh though. Sincerely hope he gets over his injury nightmare, and equally, hope we keep him if he proves himself to be over the worst.

Stevie Reid
15-12-2010, 09:02 AM

:agree:

The last manager who had the freedom to build his own team to the extent that CC will have, was McLeish in 2000 with the money from Kenny Miller's transfer (albeit the wages won't be as high as in that crazy time).

Hopefully he can build something similar.

matty_f
15-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I've no doubt he'll have a huge clearout - just like Yogi had planned. There's loads of them out of contract in January/this summer so CC's just following through what Yogi started.
:agree:

IMHO, there needs to be a huge clearout. If I was a manager coming into a club in the nick we're in, I'd be absolutely delighted if I had the opportunity to wipe the slate almost clean and free up a large chunk of wages to bring in my own players.

Hamish
15-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I agree, but in a full clearout CC would have to move certain contracted players on and that could prove troublesome

Duffys13
15-12-2010, 10:05 AM
scotsman reporting CC has told him he can leave. never seen the lad play but I know a few folk on here rate him highly.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Colin-Calderwood-to-let-Lee.6661002.jp

I think this is a sign of the times. In the past he would have been given another deal in the hope he progressed to first team level. Now every penny is so important for the first team wages, that we cannot offer deals in the hope a player progresses.

.Sean.
15-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Real shame, always thought he'd be a very good player for us.

Sean Welsh next? He's out of contract soon isn't he?

Andy74
15-12-2010, 11:00 AM
He's one that has never really pushed on.

Getting Wotherspoon, Booth and Hanlon from one youth team would be a very decent return. I think many got a bit carried away with getting many more than that who will actually make it.

One or two from each team is sort of what you can expect.

Pretty Boy
15-12-2010, 11:14 AM
At the end of the day we are constantly moaning on here that this is one of the worst Hibs teams in God knows how many years yet, with the exception of Wotherspoon and Hanlon, none of these young guys have made the step up to the 1st team squad on a regular basis let alone the first 11. I think thats says quite a lot personally, yet everytime one of them is allowed to leave a reasonable number of posters seem to be baffled by the decision.

Ok one could argue that it hasn't been the best time to throw young guys in at the deep end but how does the old cliche go? If you're good enough, you're old enough. The last 3 Hibs managers have clearly deemed none of these young guys good enough for the first team yet.

Hibs don't normally get these things wrong, i'd be interested to know if anyone can name me a young player we have let go in recent times who has come back to haunt us or has gone on to bigger and better things. I can't think of any.

Speedway
15-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Currie's past it anyway. I never forgave him for joining Rangers and was delighted when Murphy slipped him a large one to score at Ipox.

The fact that Roeder didn't want him at Norwich should have told us something. If CC has decided he's the first to go, so be it.

We should use the wages to get that gadgy back that we had who went on to join Falkirk. Showunmi or something. He looked the business for the bairns and could do a job.

IWasThere2016
15-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Currie's past it anyway. I never forgave him for joining Rangers and was delighted when Murphy slipped him a large one to score at Ipox.

The fact that Roeder didn't want him at Norwich should have told us something. If CC has decided he's the first to go, so be it.

We should use the wages to get that gadgy back that we had who went on to join Falkirk. Showunmi or something. He looked the business for the bairns and could do a job.

:cool2:

Franck is God
15-12-2010, 11:31 AM
I saw quite a few under 19's games that season and was never fully convinced with Currie in the same way as I was with Welsh & Wotherspoon, he seemed to have to put in far more effort than they did to perform at the same level suggesting to me that they had much more to give.

He is only 20 though and undoubtedly talented so Im sure he will be picked up and given a chance elsewhere to develop further.

Pretty Boy
15-12-2010, 11:38 AM

:greengrin

BEEJ
15-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Currie's favoured position at left midfield hasn't exactly been covered magnificently by the incumbents (Rankin, Stevenson etc).

Strange then under those circumstances that we've never seen Currie come on even as a substitute.

I guess we can only draw our own conclusions from that. Wish the lad well.

Wotherspiniesta
15-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Currie's favoured position at left midfield hasn't exactly been covered magnificently by the incumbents (Rankin, Stevenson etc).

Strange then under those circumstances that we've never seen Currie come on even as a substitute.

I guess we can only draw our own conclusions from that. Wish the lad well.

That's just what I was thinking.

How bad must Currie be if he can't even get a peep of first team action ahead of Rankin or Stevenson?

I'm all for a clearout but starting with a young laddie who hasn't even kicked a ball competitively for the first team seems a bit harsh IMO.

Anyway, good luck to the guy, hope he finds a club soon.

Cropley10
15-12-2010, 01:34 PM
That's just what I was thinking.

How bad must Currie be if he can't even get a peep of first team action ahead of Rankin or Stevenson?

I'm all for a clearout but starting with a young laddie who hasn't even kicked a ball competitively for the first team seems a bit harsh IMO.

Anyway, good luck to the guy, hope he finds a club soon.

Alternatively [clutching at straws smiley] maybe CC has him in the same bracket as JR and LS and thinks that none of them are good enough. I cannot believe we're going to offer Rankin a new deal

truehibernian
15-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Cropley, I think Rankin is one of the first CC will offer a new deal to IMO.

Now regarded as experienced, good in the dressing room by all accounts, fit as a butchers dog, and lives a professional lifestyle. Yep, ability wise, sometimes lacking. But his workrate and his effort is not in question and one thing he doesn't do is hide in games, even when playing badly.

Not everyone's cup of tea I know but I think he is one who is showing effort and looking like he wants a contract.

Cropley10
15-12-2010, 02:23 PM

Now regarded as experienced, good in the dressing room by all accounts, fit as a butchers dog, and lives a professional lifestyle. Yep, ability wise, sometimes lacking. But his workrate and his effort is not in question and one thing he doesn't do is hide in games, even when playing badly.

Not everyone's cup of tea I know but I think he is one who is showing effort and looking like he wants a contract.

Can't disagree with any of that. Defo not my cup of tea though!

Saorsa
15-12-2010, 02:26 PM

Not everyone's cup of tea I know but I think he is one who is showing effort and looking like he wants a contract.Sometimes lacking? :bitchy: he's rubbish :bitchy: So what if he runs all day, he runs all day but adds little or nothing tae the team. Never hides, I wish he'd hide somewhere the manager cannae find him so he cannae pick him. I'm not surprised he looks like he wants a new contract, he must ken when he's on tae a good thing, whae else would want him for the money he's on here. If John Rankin is the quality of player our managers are going tae persist with I really despair, we'll be going naewhere ever.

truehibernian
15-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Sometimes lacking? :bitchy: he's rubbish :bitchy: So what if he runs all day, he runs all day but adds little or nothing tae the team. Never hides, I wish he'd hide somewhere the manager cannae find him so he cannae pick him. I'm not surprised he looks like he wants a new contract, he must ken when he's on tae a good thing, whae else would want him for the money he's on here. If John Rankin is the quality of player our managers are going tae persist with I really despair, we'll be going naewhere ever.

I am not for one minute saying JR will be first on the teamsheet once CC gets his squad the way he wants it.

What a manager of the calibre of CC won't do though is get rid of all the experience in the side, and that includes the work off the pitch and on the training field. There is no doubt JR is popular, has been with all the previous managers. He may have some very personable attributes that makes it easier for younger players to develop.

Totally agree with you, sometimes he is awful. But he has energy, enthusiasm, and surely no one can doubt that he is a player who gives his all. As a squad player I think he would be useful to have around the club. I would say only Miller, Murray, Riordan, Wotherspoon and Bamba are ones who I would also have at the club. The rest......wouldn't lose sleep over to be honest, and sadly that includes the likes of young Paul Hanlon.

I do think Rankin will be one of the one's who stays though mate.

18/03/07
15-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Lee Currie has not realy been giving a chance at Hibs,as far as i can remember of matches i was at, he made an appearance of the bench 1 last year against Bolton and 1 this year against Carlisle,i thought he done well in both these games.I seen him play a couple of games in the year the 19's won the double and thought he would be the 1 from that team that would make it

Eaststand
15-12-2010, 05:23 PM

spot on DH and despite Yogi having many critics, he deliberately chose to let lots of the squad's contracts run down at the end of this season so he could more or less start again.
I hope CC has had time to assess the squad, then shows no mercy in clearing out the players who are a disgrace to the jersey but experts in hiding during tough games

GGTTH

TowerHibs
15-12-2010, 05:42 PM
I am not for one minute saying JR will be first on the teamsheet once CC gets his squad the way he wants it.

What a manager of the calibre of CC won't do though is get rid of all the experience in the side, and that includes the work off the pitch and on the training field. There is no doubt JR is popular, has been with all the previous managers. He may have some very personable attributes that makes it easier for younger players to develop.

Totally agree with you, sometimes he is awful. But he has energy, enthusiasm, and surely no one can doubt that he is a player who gives his all. As a squad player I think he would be useful to have around the club. I would say only
Miller, Murray, Riordan, Wotherspoon and Bamba are ones who I would also have at the club. The rest......wouldn't lose sleep over to be honest, and sadly that includes the likes of young Paul Hanlon.

Some Great points that some on here like to forget!!

As the average spl player goes, then he's up there with those who would get into other teams in the spl. Hibs are am average club at SPL level and I would much rather have him in the squad than a player like Ross Chisholm!

Like you say, his Off-field behaviours and attitude probably do more to influence managers than his talent but would want players like that as part of the squad (not necessary 1st team player but handy to have)

BEEJ
15-12-2010, 06:18 PM
spot on DH and despite Yogi having many critics, he deliberately chose to let lots of the squad's contracts run down at the end of this season so he could more or less start again.

Or so Yogi would have us believe.

WindyMiller
15-12-2010, 06:41 PM
One or two from each team is sort of what you can expect.

Listened to someone from the PFA last night on 5Live, and he said that 85% of the 16 year olds in the EPL academies are lost to the game completely before they're 21.

.Sean.
15-12-2010, 06:50 PM

Totally agree with you, sometimes he is awful. But he has energy, enthusiasm, and surely no one can doubt that he is a player who gives his all. As a squad player I think he would be useful to have around the club. I would say only Miller, Murray, Riordan, Wotherspoon and Bamba are ones who I would also have at the club. The rest......wouldn't lose sleep over to be honest, and sadly that includes the likes of young Paul Hanlon.

I'll go against the grain here and say i'd not be dissapointed if that were to be the case. Rankin is not as bad as certain folk on here seem to think. He's a good player to have in the squad.

One thing he does guaruntee is that when the chips are down and he's having a poor game, he's the one player you'll never find hiding. I like that.

Iggy Pope
15-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Sad news as I know Lee and his old boy and I was desperate for him to do well.

19s aside, he was getting a regular run in the reserves a couple of seasons (three?) back and acquitted himself well in the games I seen (including a left foot raker against the Huns during a demolition of them at Livingston one afternoon).

The disbanding of the Reserve League has seriously affected the livelihoods of a lot of boys like this.

Mibbes Aye
15-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Would echo the positive comments about Lee Currie. Saw him score a few beauties for the U19s, quite a left foot on the boy. If it's the case that he's looking for a move to increase his chances of first-team football then good for him - if it's not happening for him at Hibs he needs to try and get on elsewhere. It all maybe reinforces just how hard it is to make that final step up - as has been said previously, if two or three of that crop end up playing regularly for us or being sold on to bigger clubs then we'll have done very well.

KiddA
15-12-2010, 08:17 PM
At the end of the day we are constantly moaning on here that this is one of the worst Hibs teams in God knows how many years yet, with the exception of Wotherspoon and Hanlon, none of these young guys have made the step up to the 1st team squad on a regular basis let alone the first 11. I think thats says quite a lot personally, yet everytime one of them is allowed to leave a reasonable number of posters seem to be baffled by the decision.

Ok one could argue that it hasn't been the best time to throw young guys in at the deep end but how does the old cliche go? If you're good enough, you're old enough. The last 3 Hibs managers have clearly deemed none of these young guys good enough for the first team yet.

Hibs don't normally get these things wrong, i'd be interested to know if anyone can name me a young player we have let go in recent times who has come back to haunt us or has gone on to bigger and better things. I can't think of any.

Kirk Broadfoot

down-the-slope
15-12-2010, 08:19 PM
The nonsence that we have in no reserve league is partly to blame here....how are we suppose to get reserve players and youngsters up to speed for the first team without this stepping stone is beyond me...and along with stupid 10 team league proposal will see steady steady decline

Mibbes Aye
15-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Kirk Broadfoot

I think Broadfoot asked to leave Hibs because he was homesick and wanted to be closer to home, hence him ending up at St Mirren.

Iggy Pope
15-12-2010, 08:27 PM
I think Broadfoot asked to leave Hibs because he was homesick and wanted to be closer to home, hence him ending up at St Mirren.

HOMESICK??? We ALL know what that means. Money grabbing bassa! :wink:

Alfred E Newman
15-12-2010, 08:38 PM
This is just another example of our so called " conveyer belt of talent" breaking down. We seem to be bringing through less young players than other clubs now with only the struggling Wotherspoon and Hanlon anywhere near the first team and the likes of Currie, Byrne etc falling by the wayside..
East Mains was supposed to help Hibs attract the best talent in the area but for some reason it just doesn`t appear to be happening. Losing John Park to Celtic may be one of the reasons and it is something Calderwood is going to have to sort out.

monktonharp
15-12-2010, 09:10 PM
I think Broadfoot asked to leave Hibs because he was homesick and wanted to be closer to home, hence him ending up at St Mirren.aye, he was peeng'in like a wean,to get hame tae Ferguslie Park likes, :yawn:

monktonharp
15-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Sometimes lacking? :bitchy: he's rubbish :bitchy: So what if he runs all day, he runs all day but adds little or nothing tae the team. Never hides, I wish he'd hide somewhere the manager cannae find him so he cannae pick him. I'm not surprised he looks like he wants a new contract, he must ken when he's on tae a good thing, whae else would want him for the money he's on here. If John Rankin is the quality of player our managers are going tae persist with I really despair, we'll be going naewhere ever.:agree: well said big yin, heidless chickin' springs to mind.one half decent performance,every 5 games is not what i'd expect

Saorsa
15-12-2010, 09:31 PM
:agree: well said big yin, heidless chickin' springs to mind.one half decent performance,every 5 games is not what i'd expectI think you missed a 2 before that 5

Dunbar Hibee
15-12-2010, 09:51 PM
I'll go against the grain here and say i'd not be dissapointed if that were to be the case. Rankin is not as bad as certain folk on here seem to think. He's a good player to have in the squad.

One thing he does guaruntee is that when the chips are down and he's having a poor game, he's the one player you'll never find hiding. I like that.

Have to agree with you Sean. Rankin is an easy target and I really don't think he's a bad player at all.

WindyMiller
15-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Kirk Broadfoot

He asked to be released as he was homesick. IIRC.

"I left because I didn't take to life in Edinburgh if I'm being honest. I was 16, from Ayr, didn't like being in digs and I wanted to get closer to home. St Mirren offered me a contract and I travelled from there."

Randerson_4
15-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Sad to hear & I can understand people saying he wasn't given a chance - tho I've heard he wasnt given one(esp under Hughes as he liked to go out up the town a fair bit. Have heard that from ppl & sad to hear as he has got talent

Think back to that cup final & he was superb. Along with booth, bryne & smith on the night outshone Wilson yet look where his career is now (Liverpool & Scotland debut) just shows you can't always predict what will happen with youth players - goes back to above post about EPL academies

2/8 of the 19s from that year are now gone, tho Scott Smith isn't in that list & is still 19s so could be given a chance along with Booth & Bryne

aberhibsfc
16-12-2010, 10:20 AM
The players I'd rather keep are Bamba, Riordan, Miller, Dickoh & Zemmama. I appreciate that there are some issues there, however if they have good players joining them I think we'd see better performances.

We cannot lose 16 players from the pool without bringing a number in. I have no problem with a clear out, however given our financial climate and having to replace a number of players, I just hope we can identify and afford the right kinds of players.

jdships
16-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Listened to someone from the PFA last night on 5Live, and he said that 85% of the 16 year olds in the EPL academies are lost to the game completely before they're 21.

That does not surprise me in the least as it has been that way for years - even in the days when I played.:wink:
Boys , my self included, were/are labelled with the tag " shows great promise " at 16/17 .
The great majority , for whatever reason , never go on to a level where they can play with the "big boys"
I was one of them !
By 19 I was not "fulfilling my promise " as the maanger put it and I was released from F/time football.
It was nothing to do with training ,coaching etc . I just did not have what it takes to become a first class footballer .
Perhaps it was what was between my ears , I don't know :greengrin
I played alongside the captain of under 18 Scottish Schools team who by age 20 had dropped down to the then Lothian Amateurs 1st Division and gave up by 25 . !!
He had just not improved.
Sure that is how it is with Lee for if you look back over the past few years many lads at ER that were "stars in the making" never made it

I'm sertain there are a few of you out there who have experienced the same thing in your own sporting careers

We all feel sorry for any lad who does not make it but unfortunately "life's a bitch"

:bye:

Billy Whizz
16-12-2010, 05:25 PM
aye, he was peeng'in like a wean,to get hame tae Ferguslie Park likes, :yawn:

He's actually from Drongan in darkest Ayrshire. Makes Fegie Park look like a Palace.

Speedy
16-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Kirk Broadfoot

Your point being? :greengrin

Only joking but someone had to say it. As pointed out, he wanted to leave.