PDA

View Full Version : Time to move on ?

NAE NOOKIE
13-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Folks on here saying the will stop watching Scottish football, and even worse Hibs, if the top 10 goes ahead has put the wind up me a bit.

At any cost I want the happy Hibees to go on and on. I want the chance to see us gub the Yams in front of 20,000 at ER one day. I want us to have huge games I can recall years later coz the atmosphere was so good, or even coz Hibs were brilliant.

So is it perhaps time for us to subscribe to an idea the OF have been bitching about for years. I.E. make an attempt join the party over the fence in Engerlund.

If a joint bid were made by the OF, Hibs, the Yams, a combined Tayside club of Dundee, Dundee Utd and St Johnstone and Aberdeen perhaps it would work.

The proposal being that the OF ( with certain cast iron assurances signed regarding sectarian songs and fan behaviour ) join the championship.

Hibs and the Yams join the 1st division and Tayside FC and Aberdeen join the 2nd division.

A proposal like that might attract backing from SKY, ESPN the BBC and perhaps a lot of the bigger football league clubs when they see there might be money to be made. E.G.by replacing 2,000 average Stevenage with 15,000 average Aberdeen and perhaps getting a better T.V. deal. If there is one certainty in football its that money talks.

There has been talk of a new stadium in Dundee for years and Aberdeen already have one ( on paper at least ) in the pipeline. Hibs already have the infrastructure and the Yams with a new main stand would have too.

Better that than see Hibs in their beautiful stadium play in front of 8,000 and then 6,000 and then 4,000 and slowly become like Ireland. A footballing footnote where everybody supports Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal etc etc and could care less about their own football.

Just listen to any English football phone in to see what I mean: For example ... "Hello der, it's Paddy from Cork here .. Oi tink dat we ( Man U. Liverpool, Chelsea ... Whoever !!! ) need to soign a new stroiker. It gets on my tits :grr:

Nae offence to any of the Scottish clubs left behind in this or any English club mentioned, but if that is what it takes to preserve top class football in Scotland then so be it.

R'Albin
13-12-2010, 04:26 PM
No.never. Simple as. Sorry I just think it would feel wrong not playing in Scotland.

Saorsa
13-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Not for me thanks

Hibee87
13-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Might as well just go the whole hog and make a brittish league if thats your thinking - can you honestly see dundee and dundee utd merging? why not merge hibs and herts in that case and have a Edinburgh uinited?

you can have the scottish cup and fa cup still and a combined brittish cup replacing the league cup :rolleyes:

never in a million years will the above happen where rangers and celtic would gurentee to not sing sectarian songs and can you imagine the police agreeing to it? hibs playing milwall for example and 3 thousand hibs fans on the train to london aye right there would be mayhem in the streets again with all the racisit scottish this and english that

Hibbyradge
13-12-2010, 04:47 PM
I certainly don't want to see a handful of teams break away from Scotland, but I do think that a British League is the only thing that will save Scottish Football from its steady decline.

I don't buy the threat to our national teams argument.

San Marino don't have a league at all, they only have one team which plays in the 4th highest Italian league, and they're allowed a national team.

Hibbyradge
13-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Might as well just go the whole hog and make a brittish league if thats your thinking - can you honestly see dundee and dundee utd merging? why not merge hibs and herts in that case and have a Edinburgh uinited?

you can have the scottish cup and fa cup still and a combined brittish cup replacing the league cup :rolleyes:

never in a million years will the above happen where rangers and celtic would gurentee to not sing sectarian songs and can you imagine the police agreeing to it? hibs playing milwall for example and 3 thousand hibs fans on the train to london aye right there would be mayhem in the streets again with all the racisit scottish this and english that

Thousands of English fans travel to matches every week. Why not thousands of Scots? :confused:

NAE NOOKIE
13-12-2010, 04:57 PM
No.never. Simple as. Sorry I just think it would feel wrong not playing in Scotland.

For me too. I only suggest this as a radical alternative to the oblivion that the current mob in charge seem determined to consign us to.

Look up and down the threads on this board to see the number of people who are saying they already dont go to games or who will throw in the towel if the SPL get their way. Lose too many fans and the atmosphere goes from games and that for me and a lot of supporters is half the thrill of live football.

Most of the folk on this board probably cant remember 2 thirds of the matches they have seen at ER. But I would bet my life that anybody who was at Hibs v AEK Athens will never forget it.

A 10 team league ? .... Whoever said variety is the spice of life was bang on. Its a pity that simple truth seems to be lost on the out of touch Ostriches who run our game.

Hibee87
14-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Thousands of English fans travel to matches every week. Why not thousands of Scots? :confused:

For the reason stated, football holiganism is already starting to creep back into football just look at birmingham villa last week, hibs and hearts last season and im sure there was a game in london canny mind who where there was fights in the streets. can you honestly see hibs, herts, rangers, aberdeen etc traveling to the manchesters, londons, birminghams with no problems? and if we go to the lower leqagues its efecticly worse i.e leeds, sheffield, coventry. IMO if there was ever going to be a succesfull british league it would have had to be implemented way back in the 50's or 60's but there is no way for the policing factor would it happen IMO

Sylar
14-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Football's expensive enough as it is, without the requirement to have to travel hundreds of miles every other week, instead of a couple of times (Inverness/Aberdeen) a season.

marinello59
14-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I really think the only way our slow decline towards the SPL having the same status as the Irish or Welsh leagues is by forming a British League. It will never happen though, the English clubs don't need us.

lucky
14-12-2010, 09:39 AM
I am in favour of a British league. the boredom of playing teams 4/5/6 times a season is awful. The SPL is dead all we are doing is waiting for the funeral. Hibs will continue to play In Scotland but only every two weeks, :greengrin. I dont think it should be just the Old firm and Hibs , Yams , Dons it should open to all. Hibs have easliy the infrastructure to be a championship club and could grow into a lower EPL team.

the 10 team league is a real backward step. This is about trying to get more big games for TV rather than growing scottish football and more money for the Old firm

The downside though is the national teams would go. Not just Scotland but England and Wales too.

Part/Time Supporter
14-12-2010, 09:46 AM
I am in favour of a British league. the boredom of playing teams 4/5/6 times a season is awful. The SPL is dead all we are doing is waiting for the funeral. Hibs will continue to play In Scotland but only every two weeks, :greengrin. I dont think it should be just the Old firm and Hibs , Yams , Dons it should open to all. Hibs have easliy the infrastructure to be a championship club and could grow into a lower EPL team.

the 10 team league is a real backward step. This is about trying to get more big games for TV rather than growing scottish football and more money for the Old firm

The downside though is the national teams would go. Not just Scotland but England and Wales too.

Why? Wales have kept going with their biggest clubs in the "English" leagues.

Phil D. Rolls
14-12-2010, 10:06 AM
For the reason stated, football holiganism is already starting to creep back into football just look at birmingham villa last week, hibs and hearts last season and im sure there was a game in london canny mind who where there was fights in the streets. can you honestly see hibs, herts, rangers, aberdeen etc traveling to the manchesters, londons, birminghams with no problems? and if we go to the lower leqagues its efecticly worse i.e leeds, sheffield, coventry. IMO if there was ever going to be a succesfull british league it would have had to be implemented way back in the 50's or 60's but there is no way for the policing factor would it happen IMO

I don't count a bunch of youngsters shaking their fist at each other with advertising hoardings, stewards and a policeman in between as hooliganism. It is nothing like as bad as it once was.

.Sean.
14-12-2010, 10:39 AM
I'd love a British league actually. Think of the away days!

Beefster
14-12-2010, 10:50 AM
The English Leagues don't need us or any other Scottish club. If they won't accept the OF then the rest of us have no chance.

Add to the fact that we'd be a plodding League One club more often than not rather than actually having a few big games and a chance of winning a trophy every season so I'm not sure what we'd gain out of it.

Keith_M
14-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Personally, I'd rather Hibs applied to join the Dutch league. Cheap flights to Amsterdam and plenty local sightseeing to keep everyone amused.

:greengrin

Antifa Hibs
14-12-2010, 11:59 AM

We can barely manage 400 fans 50 miles to Glasgow, much do you reckon we'd take 300 miles to Birmingham :rolleyes:

I'd love some sort of British league, Scottish fitba is utter pesh and will only get worse. Nae chance off it ever happening, and its hee-haw to do with Hibs potentially taking 20 scruffs/casuals, more to do with the fact with why would England want any Jock teams in their league, taking their cash, when things are quite ok down south?

GreenCastle
14-12-2010, 06:36 PM
I really think the only way our slow decline towards the SPL having the same status as the Irish or Welsh leagues is by forming a British League. It will never happen though, the English clubs don't need us.

They don't need us...and would never accept Rangers or Celtic going straight into the Championship / EPL etc so if accepted would have to start right at the bottom.

The SPL is slightly above the Irish and Welsh leagues...sad but true.

I would be for a British league - anything to freshen up the stale set up we have right now :grr::grr::grr:

Fife-Hibee
14-12-2010, 07:13 PM
I think a good idea , would be to have a one off brittish cup competition . Would be very interesting to see how that would turn out !:greengrin

marleyhib
14-12-2010, 10:20 PM
I'd be for it, love Hibs but really bored of Scottish football: its going one way, same teams, very poor standard and too expensive for what's served up.

Can't see it ever happening mind you.