PDA

View Full Version : Contracts out - motivation?

joe_hfc
13-12-2010, 10:11 AM
I was having a discussion with a few mates about Hibs, and how we're not getting motivated for games.

I would have though that for a group of players who's contracts are nearing an end - a lot of them who are punching well above their weight by being at Hibernian FC - would be working their ***** off on the pitch to ensure we renew their contracts, and that they remain at a respectable club with a strong fan-base, decent salary structure, great infrastructure.

However, these players clearly aren't working their ***** off on the field. The lot of them show no drive, passion or desire. There is little to no team-spirit. This is the opposite from what I would have expected. Here are the only explanations for this:

- They believe that they will be offered a new contract with hibs, regardless
- They believe that they are destined for bigger and better things than Hibs, and have no fear that they will be snapped up by bigger clubs
- They are not enjoying themselves at the club (dislike the coaches? fellow players? fans? location?)

What do you think the reason is?

Keith_M
13-12-2010, 10:13 AM
They think they're on "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here".

Jack
13-12-2010, 10:24 AM
- They believe that they will be offered a new contract with hibs, regardless (2, maybe 3 players)
- They believe that they are destined for bigger and better things than Hibs, and have no fear that they will be snapped up by bigger clubs (1 player)
- They are not enjoying themselves at the club (dislike the coaches? fellow players? fans? location?) (2, maybe 3 players)
- They know they are on their way out and are unlikely to get regular 1st team action to prove themselves. (the rest)

joe_hfc
13-12-2010, 10:39 AM
They know they are on their way out and are unlikely to get regular 1st team action to prove themselves. (the rest)[/FONT][/COLOR]

Interesting :agree:

al bundy
13-12-2010, 11:07 AM
most of them are not up to it so a hope colin can get a few new faces in january

matty_f
14-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Disappointingly, it doesn't look like many of them have upped their game knowing that they'll be out of contract in the summer.

Hibs are the biggest club some of these players will get - you'd think that they'd be playing out of their skins to ensure they stayed at the club. The opposite appears to be true. It's not like we've got a load of scouts watching our games chasing highly sought after players.

The one big exception is Rankin, who I think bursts a gut week in/week out and while I don't think he's top 6 standard, at the very least if he doesn't get a contract I don't think many would argue that he gave his all trying to win the deal.

Too many players go through the motions at Hibs. It maybe wouldn't be a bad thing for some of these players to leave Hibs and disappear from top flight football, as the ones who stick around will realise how good they have it at Hibs and maybe cling tooth and nail onto the chance that they have at the club.

Dr What If?
14-12-2010, 01:05 AM
I really, really hate to say it but the majority just aren't that good. Players in other clubs make up for lack of technical ability by concentrating on fitness or by developing a tight club structure....ours are just below average players with superstar delusions.

I'm looking forward to the clear-out.:bye:

Golden Bear
14-12-2010, 09:01 AM
The situation we now have in our hands is a definite down side of having so many players out of contract at the same time.

I sometimes wonder if this has been part of a Managerial master plan who have recognised that there are better players out there who would be willing to sign and play for a lot less than most of the present first team squad.

I'm sure I read that Terry Butcher signed 6 of his present squad solely on the recommendation of Agents as Caley can't afford to have a structured scouting system of their own.

As for Hibs, it's a bit of a gamble as it's essential we survive in the SPL this season and for that to happen we need every player to be 100% committed to the Club.