PDA

View Full Version : Obituary

jdships
13-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Do the football authorities take on board what their "customers" need/require/would like .?
If a supermarket behaved this way they would lose customers hand over fist
I for one will not pay out good money to watch football again if this ill thought out scheme goes through - watching on TV will do for me ( If even that survives in Scotland )

If the ten team format goes through there will surely be , within the next few years, an obituary notice for Scottish Football on this very forum

SCOTTISH FOOTBALL
AFTER A LONG ILLNESS
WE REGRET TO ANNOUNCE THE DEATH OF SCOTTISH FOOTBALL
A MUCH LOVED FRIEND
QUIETLY BEFORE CROWDS OF LESS THAN 2000 THIS BELOVED INSTITUTION HAS QUIETLY PASSED AWAY

or something similar

What happened, by the way, to the Mcleish report ?

CropleyWasGod
13-12-2010, 08:37 AM

It's being published this week.

TheEastTerrace
13-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Do the football authorities taken on biard what their "customers" need/require/would like .?
I for one will not pay out good money to watch football again if this ill thought out scheme goes through - watching on TV will do for me ( If even that survives in Scotland )

If the ten team format goes through there will surely be , within the next few years, an obituary notice for Scottish Football on this very forum

SCOTTISH FOOTBALL
AFTER A LONG ILLNESS
A MUCH LOVED FRIEND
QUIETLY BEFORE CROWDS OF LESS THAN 2000 THIS BELOVED INSTITUTION HAS QUIETLY PASSED AWAY

or something similar

Same with what happened to Rinus Michels' recommendations, and countless others since.....swept under the carpet. All they are doing is paying lip service to the fans and authorities. The SFA, SPL and SFL have no intention of changing - a thorough clean-out of these dinosaurs would mean no jobs for the boys. Can't have that, can we?

The government can't do anything about it either - have they not read FIFA's wonderful rules - no interference or regulation of the governing bodies allowed. Tsk, Tsk!

Yesterday was the final straw- that is me finished with Scottish football. They have no interest in the fans. Absolute disgrace. They'll reap what they sow, that's for sure. Mark my words.

jdships
13-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Thanks for that
Do we take it then that this report is being ignored ?
While not 100% perfect ( what "report" is ?) it has a lot going for it :thumbsup:

jdships
13-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Same with what happened to Rinus Michels' recommendations, and countless others since.....swept under the carpet. All they are doing is paying lip service to the fans and authorities. The SFA, SPL and SFL have no intention of changing - a thorough clean-out of these dinosaurs would mean no jobs for the boys. Can't have that, can we?

The government can't do anything about it either - have they not read FIFA's wonderful rules - no interference or regulation of the governing bodies allowed. Tsk, Tsk!

Yesterday was the final straw- that is me finished with Scottish football. They have no interest in the fans. Absolute disgrace. They'll reap what they sow, that's for sure. Mark my words.

Don't think we will be alone in saying that :bitchy:

Baldy Foghorn
13-12-2010, 09:04 AM
I am astonished that the ten team league is being proposed...... It is common knowledge that most teams want a bigger league than the 12 at present, and a number of clubs have bemoaned that fact that they already play each other too much......

This is not what the clubs or fans want as far as I can see, so everybody gets what nobody wants, BRILLIANT!!!!!!

I suppose the only good thing is the farcical split being abolished, but that should be taken away anyway....

If only the other Clubs had voted the old firm out when the chance was there, but they all bottled it.....Doubt they will ever get that chance again unfortunately.....

Jack
13-12-2010, 10:05 AM
The working group consists of the SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster, chairman Ralph Topping and representatives of Rangers, Celtc, Hibernian, Motherwell and St Mirren.

Absolute madness, as others have said it didn't work before, why should it work this time?

Who is the Hibs representative? I thought our board members were level headed, sensible types, although I appreciate they wouldn’t individually have to agree with this recommendation.

Surely with Hibs vision for the future they must have something other than football lined up for the wonderful stadium we now have because if this goes through football supporters will never fill it.

Hibby D
13-12-2010, 10:22 AM
At a time when Scottish Football needs the fans more than ever, they come out with this clap trap! But I will absolutely NOT pay hundreds of pounds to watch the OF 8 times a year. I don't even want us to play Hertz four times a season! It dilutes the whole damn thing :bitchy:

I won't be party to this shambles.

I might just get me a season ticket to watch The Seasiders :greengrin

TheEastTerrace
13-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Absolute madness, as others have said it didn't work before, why should it work this time?

Who is the Hibs representative? I thought our board members were level headed, sensible types, although I appreciate they wouldn’t individually have to agree with this recommendation.

Surely with Hibs vision for the future they must have something other than football lined up for the wonderful stadium we now have because if this goes through football supporters will never fill it.

Logic would suggest Petrie, as he is an SPL board member, along with those aforementioned. http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s30

Beefster
13-12-2010, 10:54 AM
The clubs, Hibs included, are more concerned with protecting their home games versus the Old Firm and any local rivals than with any real attempt to revolutionise Scottish football. Sky/ESPN won't pay as much for a product that only gives 2 OF and 2 Edinburgh derbies a season either.

The sooner folk accept that, the better.

Hibby D
13-12-2010, 11:06 AM
The clubs, Hibs included, are more concerned with protecting their home games versus the Old Firm and any local rivals than with any real attempt to revolutionise Scottish football. Sky/ESPN won't pay as much for a product that only gives 2 OF and 2 Edinburgh derbies a season either.

And therein lies the problem.

Thank God Millicent Fawcett didn't take that stance :cool2:

Pretty Boy
13-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Scottish football has been dying on it's erse for years and this 'plan' could well be the final nail in the coffin.

The game is run by self serving, egocentric muppets. They have no interest in anything but protecting their own interests. I include pretty much all the clubs in this criticism, too many are more interested in getting their 4 home games against the OF each season to keep the money rolling in as opposed to being interested in a thorough overhaul that would hopefully start Scottish football on the road out of the dark ages.

A 10 team league is farcical but it makes sure the bigot brothers get their 4 derbies a season and thats whats important eh? Crowds are dropping all the time for a reason - the quality is shocking for the money we pay and the fans are bored senseless of seeing the same teams 4 times a season. I don't know the answer to the problems but the current scenario or this proposed idea are certainly not the answer. A few year ago it would have been stupid to think the SPL would drop to the level of the League of Ireland but i watch a lot of Irish and Northern Irish football and we are not a million miles away from being that bad.

A complete overhaul from top to bottom is needed but that will never happen because too many corrupt and incompetent idiots would their status and the 'perks' of the job. Instead we will get another one of these short term 'solutions' until 10 years down the line someone suggests we paper over the cracks again with another ill thought out and stupid scheme.

hibee4life1983
13-12-2010, 05:01 PM
It'l aw be fine, the tache says so!

Phil D. Rolls
13-12-2010, 07:44 PM

:faf: Only in Scotland.

jdships
13-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Reading these posts the overwhelming feelling is that a "10 team League" is a non starter.
IF this goes through in the next weeks what action can we , as the paying customers , take to bring to SPL's notice that WE DO NOT LIKE IT ? :grr:

I for one will definately not support that set up no matter how much it will hurt not to be part of the "Hib's Family"
Enough is enough :bitchy:

greenlex
13-12-2010, 08:03 PM
10 team league doesnt work. We tried that and it was crap. Defensive crap with team ****ting themselves to get relegated. We chucked it out. Does the SPL hierarchy not remember how crap it was?
16 teams playing each other twice and revamp league cup into mini league format early/pre season. Ten teams deary me.

snooky
13-12-2010, 08:30 PM
10 team league doesnt work. We tried that and it was crap. Defensive crap with team ****ting themselves to get relegated. We chucked it out. Does the SPL hierarchy not remember how crap it was?
16 teams playing each other twice and revamp league cup into mini league format early/pre season. Ten teams deary me.

Ah yes, I remember that awful time well and also the sigh of relief when they tossed that set up out the window.
Alas, if history is set to repeat itself then the end is nigh. To quote the old proverb ...

"The operation was a success but the patient died"

RIP Scottish Football.

Joe Baker II
14-12-2010, 09:54 AM

You may be right in the short-term, re attitude of TV companies but why is it better the sooner people accept this?

Joe Baker II
14-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Who is the Hibs representative? I thought our board members were level headed, sensible types, although I appreciate they wouldn’t individually have to agree with this recommendation. ]

Do not think you are speaking for everyone here!

Joe Baker II
14-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Do the football authorities take on board what their "customers" need/require/would like .?

[[/B][/SIZE]

As I posted on another thread plenty of Scottish football to follow outwith the SPL. And the lower down you go you actually get the impression those running clubs have some concern for the supporters!

marinello59
14-12-2010, 10:02 AM

We may see why they are thinking like that but that doesn't mean we simply have to accept it. Sky/ESPN won't even find the Old Firm matches attractive if standards continue to drop as they are.

Beefster
14-12-2010, 10:44 AM
You may be right in the short-term, re attitude of TV companies but why is it better the sooner people accept this?

We may see why they are thinking like that but that doesn't mean we simply have to accept it. Sky/ESPN won't even find the Old Firm matches attractive if standards continue to drop as they are.

Because, ultimately, the clubs don't give a monkey's what we think. The only way that they'll ever pay attention is if crowds plummet but, for all the talk, there hasn't been a dramatic drop in attendances over the past decade.

As I've said before, Hibs are very good with the public gestures of "we're listening" but they're not listening. Like the rest of them, they'll do whatever it takes to protect their TV cash and home games against the bigger clubs. We're (Hibs) as complicit in the demise of Scottish football as anyone.

Lofarl
14-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Well I'm sure sfa members are reading posts like this across every football team fan forum. Aye right. Do you think they are even aware of the broad negative feeling.

If we, and I mean fans of all teams want to prevent this we would need to take action. Display banners at games, supporter group feedback sessions and chants at games.

jgl07
14-12-2010, 12:51 PM

SCOTTISH FOOTBALL
AFTER A LONG ILLNESS
A MUCH LOVED FRIEND

or something similar

In truth it passed away some years ago, arguably the day that Souness walked into Ibrox.

They just haven't realized yet!

jdships
14-12-2010, 01:38 PM
As I posted on another thread plenty of Scottish football to follow outwith the SPL. And the lower down you go you actually get the impression those running clubs have some concern for the supporters!

A lot of truth in what you write :thumbsup:
I have a friend, ex pro, who is Charman of a third division club and it is a pleasure to visit their ground on match days.
Crowd in mid hundreds but the hospitality and chat after the match is second to none.
It may be that club or Leith Athletic for me if this daft proposal goes through.
It certainly won't be SPL games :grr:

greenlex
14-12-2010, 02:55 PM
I think it's madness To go to ten teams but why are lotssayong they won't go back? In reality we are playing each other4 times at tge moment. The only thing that changes is pressure to beat the drop.

MGmick
14-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Sadly, I think Scottish football has been dead for a while now and we've just been watching the spasms. The corpse stopped twitching for me in Inverness the other week. Half time came and I asked myself wtf I was doing wasting my time watching that dross for £25. The most determined efforts I'd seen were being made by the hordes of yellow waistcoated "security" operatives in their attempts to stop the smokers having a fag. "Far Kit" I thought and left for the pub. I don't envisage a time when what's on offer will make me reverse that decision.

jdships
14-12-2010, 07:14 PM
I think it's madness To go to ten teams but why are lotssayong they won't go back? In reality we are playing each other4 times at tge moment. The only thing that changes is pressure to beat the drop.

You have answered your own question surely ? :greengrin
The reason so many of us are saying " we won't go back" is because a ten team league will give us exactly the same product as we have now
Boring ,stagnant or whatever you want to call it :bye:

:rolleyes:

Saorsa
14-12-2010, 07:36 PM
The reason so many of us are saying " we won't go back" is because a ten team league will give us exactly the same product as we have now

:rolleyes:It's worse than that, there's a real opportunity tae do something good for the game but what we're seeing here IMO (no matter how it's being dressed up by Doncaster) is once again the rest of Scottish fitba about tae bend over and take it up the erse from the OF again, they're the ones that want a ten team league, this has got them written all over it. What we'll have if this goes through is worse than what we have now IMO.

greenlex
14-12-2010, 08:18 PM

:rolleyes:
So by definition if there was to be no change you wouldnt go back?
If reconstruction hadn't been mentioned would folk be saying that's it enough is enough?
I reckon if Hibs were doing well whatever the format you would all be there and suggest you are all full of wind and pish.:)

IWasThere2016
14-12-2010, 08:36 PM
A professional game run by amateurs.

jdships
14-12-2010, 10:04 PM
So by definition if there was to be no change you wouldnt go back?
If reconstruction hadn't been mentioned would folk be saying that's it enough is enough?
I reckon if Hibs were doing well whatever the format you would all be there and suggest you are all full of wind and pish.:)

I can only speak for myself but if you care to look back through threads I have consisitently said over the past year I have had enough of this boring set up .
I stick by what I say/said if it stays /goes to 10 I won't be back
If you are prepared to throw good money away its your business , I have better use for mine
If what others are saying is "wind and pish" not quite sure where it leaves you :wink:

down-the-slope
14-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Can .net at least start a petition so that our club get an idea of the majority view?

I am going to take Raith Rovers as an example here...a number of years ago they won the league cup (i was in fact at Ibrox that day:greengrin) they then had that memorable match when taking the lead against Bayern Munich in the olylmpic stadium :cool2:....they then spalshed out thousands to get their stadium compliant with what the big boys decreed....10,000 all seater...their team suffered as a result....only for the 'rules' to change to only 6,000...... and they have had a few wilderness years to get back to the cusp of the SPL and a chance at the one pathetic promotion spot.....now the 'big boys' are proposing changing the 'rules' yet again so that any chance they have of joining the top table could be snatched away again....why should well run clubs like this have to put up with this???? Its crock of steaming stuff to suggest that its all about protecting such clubs by giving them a bigger slice of the money...whooopeee

16 or 18 playing twice is the only way the game here can be saved for the long term and for the good of all.....however as the good of a certain 2 clubs and the gravy train of the triple associations is the only priority then we are on a hiding to nothing unless we the fans make some noise about it.....well will we :rolleyes: