PDA

View Full Version : Garry O'Connor signs for Barnsley...

HibeePaj
13-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Garry O'connor is to join Barnsley permanently from January 1st until end of the season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/barnsley/9278570.stm

Do you think he would consider a move back to ER after end of the season?

Paget

johnrebus
13-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Garry O'connor is to join Barnsley permanently from January 1st until end of the season.

Paget

Not a chance.

scott7_0(Prague)
13-12-2010, 08:18 AM

Paget

And where would we get the 20k a week to pay him?

marinello59
13-12-2010, 08:28 AM

The same place we are getting the 'whatever it takes' to keep Riordan I guess. This running a football club lark is so easy.:agree:

Hibbyradge
13-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Not Hibs class anyway.

jdships
13-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Not Hibs class anyway.

Sadly I think you are probably right - his best days are behind him .
Can see him dropping down the English Leagues in the near future
Sad :boo hoo:

HibeePaj
13-12-2010, 08:55 AM

is that right aye?

cant see him being anywhere near 20k at barnsley to be honest.

George Clooney
13-12-2010, 09:10 AM

As permanent as you get in modern football I suppose...

Sir David Gray
13-12-2010, 10:03 AM
is that right aye?

Perhaps not but they'll still be paying him much more than the best offer that we could possibly put to him.

Barnsley are a Championship club and SPL clubs simply cannot compete with teams at this level in England.

Keith_M
13-12-2010, 10:11 AM
I heard we're definitely signing him,

along with Brown, Fletcher, Thomson, Sproule, K Millar, Goram, Bremner, Marinello, Cormack, Johnstone and Willie Groves.

scott7_0(Prague)
13-12-2010, 10:12 AM
The same place we are getting the 'whatever it takes' to keep Riordan I guess. This running a football club lark is so easy.:agree:

is that right aye?

Even if he is on 50% of that we still cannot afford it, as for Riordan I doubt he will make 25% of the original 20k quoted!

500miles
13-12-2010, 10:21 AM
O'Connor, as a complete package, is a better forward than Derek Riordan. Yes, Riordan as an out-and-out goalscorer is more prolific, but Garry was good for 15ish goals a season, AND he mixed things up with defenses, making space for Riordan.

He had a bit of success in Russia, despite not being totally regular, he did earn - and I mean EARN - his cup winners medal - and he's performed well at Championship level, and been what fans would describe as a decent squad player at Premiership level.

His problem has been injury, but only a fool would think that he doesn't possess anything but quality in abundance to be a great player for us.

Will he ever make a return? I'd like to see him do so, and I think he may, but I am unsure at what age he would return.

ScottB
13-12-2010, 10:25 AM
The amount it would cost us to bring him in is too much for a guy that is so injury prone. Far too big a risk for us.

We've went most of the season so far with one available striker, we don't need another one for the treatment table!

hibee92
13-12-2010, 01:28 PM
him and david murphy are gonna be brought up every transfer window until the end of time :yawn:

HibeePaj
13-12-2010, 02:51 PM
him and david murphy are gonna be brought up every transfer window until the end of time :yawn:

The thread is about GOC moving to a new club.

And I dont think the question of whether he would consider a move back to ER is that unreasonable. Hibby, ex hibs player leaves birmingham for barnsley and is out of contract, without a club at the end of season.

Personally i think that he will be looking for a move straight back up to Prem. with him taking such a short contract ...BUT, madder things have happened.

scott7_0(Prague)
11-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Sometimes you look back and have to accept you were proven wrong...... :agree:

HibbyAndy
11-07-2011, 12:50 PM
A few GIRFUY Fae the Original poster :devil:

SaulGoodman
11-07-2011, 02:56 PM
I heard we're definitely signing him,

along with Brown, Fletcher, Thomson, Sproule, K Millar, Goram, Bremner, Marinello, Cormack, Johnstone and Willie Groves.

Good call :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
11-07-2011, 04:17 PM

I wasn't. :wink:

CallumLaidlaw
11-07-2011, 05:38 PM

about O'Connor signing, or about what Riordan could earn?:wink: