PDA

View Full Version : (NHC) How good is Owen Coyle?

snooky
12-12-2010, 11:34 PM
I admired him as a player and now as a manager.
He had St Johnstone punching above their weight, did the same with Burnley and now proving himself at (for the Python parrot sketch fans among us) Notlob.
I can see him at Man Utd when Fergie calls it a day.

Well done, Owen. :thumbsup:

Toaods
12-12-2010, 11:45 PM
but Yogi carried him at Falkirk...:greengrin

bigstu
12-12-2010, 11:45 PM
him & Yogi were joint managers to start with at falkirk i'm sure & both are likeable guys with a lot of passion & an apparent love of attacking passing football. How their careers have gone different ways, imagine if Yogi had been as good as Coyle, we would have been a joy to watch!

JE89
13-12-2010, 12:50 AM

Can't see it to be honest. Great manager and possibly one day a potential Man Utd manager but Fergie's replacement will be a lot more experienced. Mourinho is constantly tipping himself for it and Guradiola has mentioned something about it recently.

Coyle has shown to be a class act and hope it continues. Strange how the manager of a 'neutral' team alters your opinion of them. I hated Bolton until he came in, but now like to see them win and hope they get Europe.

Skanko79
13-12-2010, 07:41 AM
The guy on radio 5 live that gets inside info and has been correct on almost everything he says seems to think its all but a done deal that Coyle will move to Arsenal at the end of next season with Wenger as director of football.

That aside, did anyone know what Coyle was up to yesterday? he was seen on camera burrying something inside both goalmouths about 3 hours before the game kicked off.

Randerson_4
13-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Fantastic manager, doing brilliantly & again progressing himself. Bolton are great to watch & he's getting the best out of the players. Seems a great guy as well, got a massive amount of respect & admiration for how he handles himself & the way he goes about his job.

Think he should rightly be mentioned for a move to a 'bigger club' - Mufc, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal (think he'd be perfect there). Think Newcastle shouldve moved for him, also if he was English he'd be lined up for national job

Jim44
13-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Fantastic manager, doing brilliantly & again progressing himself. Bolton are great to watch & he's getting the best out of the players. Seems a great guy as well, got a massive amount of respect & admiration for how he handles himself & the way he goes about his job.

Think he should rightly be mentioned for a move to a 'bigger club' - Mufc, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal (think he'd be perfect there). Think Newcastle shouldve moved for him, also if he was English he'd be lined up for national job

It's amazing that he has the time to get on with the job at Bolton, what with sitting by the phone 24/7 waitng for the 'biggy' to come along. :rolleyes:

Stevie Reid
13-12-2010, 10:25 AM
I've said this a number of times previously, but Collins resigned only a matter of days after Coyle got the Burnley job - had JC gone earlier there is surely no doubt that OC would've applied for the job and been appointed Hibs manager. I often wonder what he may have achieved during a couple of years with us.

I also note from this interview that he was supposed to join us in January 1997 - his goals would have made a huge difference to us and we may not have ended up in a relegation play off that year: -

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/football/burnley-fc/burnley_fc_boss_old_pals_act_1_1693359

joe_hfc
13-12-2010, 10:40 AM
I admired him as a player and now as a manager.
He had St Johnstone punching above their weight, did the same with Burnley and now proving himself at (for the Python parrot sketch fans among us) Notlob.

Well done, Owen. :thumbsup:

Why does any successful Scottish manager get linked to Man Utd just because Fergie happens to be Scottish? It doesn't work like that.

Also it's sad to see that his abilities have now outgrowen the Scotland job.

On another point - it's interesting how Scots seem to have a lot of top management positions in proportion to our relatively low level of population - i.e. Football, Politics, Business Director level.

skipster7
13-12-2010, 07:13 PM
i read a piece in the herald around when CC was appointed saying round about when mowbray got the job i think, another candidate(for the life of cant remember who) would have had coyle as a number 2 only for hibs to deem him too inexperienced.maybe it was CC himself ?:confused:
only remember it because of the Coyle link.

LancashireHibby
13-12-2010, 10:26 PM
The guy on radio 5 live that gets inside info and has been correct on almost everything he says seems to think its all but a done deal that Coyle will move to Arsenal at the end of next season with Wenger as director of football.

That aside, did anyone know what Coyle was up to yesterday? he was seen on camera burrying something inside both goalmouths about 3 hours before the game kicked off.
Sincerely hope the Arsenal thing isn't true. The last manager to get a Bolton side playing football as good as this (apart from maybe Colin Todd) was Bruce Rioch and he went to Arsenal and played a part in setting the platform for Wenger by signing Bergkamp etc.

Phil D. Rolls
14-12-2010, 09:33 AM
If we'd been offered Coyle as a manager when he was in Scotland I'm sure we'd have said he wasn't Hibs class. Shows how much fans know sometimes.