View Full Version : NHC Barcelona

Sylar
12-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Wow - that is all :agree:

Hanny
12-12-2010, 08:53 PM

Best team I've ever seen, by far.

Sky just said Barca attempted over 900 passes tonight, the most by any team since OPTA started keeping that stat back in 2006.

Xavi made 120 passes, more than any other player in LaLiga this season and he was only on ther pitch for an hour!!

Oh, and Barca won 5-0. Messi has 27 goals this season already :not worth

Sylar
12-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Barcelona have scored 29 unanswered goals, with Victor Valdes going 10 hours without conceding in ALL competitions.

Breathtaking.

And Lionel Messi simply must win the Ballon d'or - his second goal tonight was a thing of absolute beauty.

millarco
12-12-2010, 08:55 PM

:agree:

All too easy for Messi with the two he scored. The ball just doesn't stop moving, amazing to watch.

H18sry
12-12-2010, 09:03 PM
My mate is gutted he had Madrid to win 3-1 doubled with Barca 4-0 :boo hoo:

Judas Iscariot
12-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Falkirkhibee will be around the now telling us that they're a big fish in a wee pond...

:faf:

Hibbyradge
12-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Falkirkhibee will be around the now telling us that they're a big fish in a wee pond...

Funnily enough...

...they're actually the smallest team in the league! :agree:

Sir David Gray
13-12-2010, 10:17 AM

I really don't see why I get such stick on here whenever a thread on Barcelona comes up.

I have said repeatedly in recent weeks, and I will say so again, that Barcelona are the best club side in the world at the moment and when they are on their game, they are unplayable. I didn't see the game last night (although I have seen the goals this morning) but their performance against Real Madrid a couple of weeks ago was the most complete performance that I have ever witnessed.

Manchester United are still the biggest club in the world and the English Premiership is still the best league in the world though. :wink:

Pretty Boy
13-12-2010, 11:18 AM
One of my mates is not just a Barcelona fan, he is THE Barcelona fan.

He phoned me last night after the game with the Catalan 'national anthem' playing at full blast to describe every pass, every piece of skill, every shot on goal. I thought he was about to burst into tears with the way he was going on. Having a drunk football fan rant at you for over an hour in Catalans about how much he loves his team and why they are the greatest institution on the planet is something everyone should experience at least once.

I know its become quite fashionable to have a pop at Barca the last few days with the sponsorship deal and whatever, but anyone who hasn't experienced being 'up close' to the club fails to see just what they mean to the people of the region. It looms over everything, people plan their life around the club and they really are, what all clubs should aim to be IMO, at the heart of the community. Obviously the history of Spain and the way the club was seen as a rallying point for the resistance movement during the Franco years makes it incomparable to other clubs but the way the club goes out of it's way to stay connected with the fans is pretty special.

Cocaine&Caviar
13-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I preffered the Rijkaard generation, Deco, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Van Bommel, Gio, Giuly, Slyvinho etc.

:greengrin

Pretty Boy
13-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I preffered the Rijkaard generation, Deco, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Van Bommel, Gio, Giuly, Slyvinho etc.

:greengrin

That team was the team i had the pleasure of watching for a whole season.

On the field they were fantastic but thanks to Rikkaards complete lack of discipline off the park they were a nightmare. It was widely known that Ronaldinho only trained 2 or 3 days a week but was seen out on the town almost every night. Rafael Marquez was notorious for his lack of work ethic and it was reported in the local paper that he only trained 24 times the whole season. The lifestyle of a lot of the players left a lot to be desired and pretty much all the ones you have listed are guilty of it. Guardiola came in and changed the whole mindset, he's big on dicipline and living life the right way. He was quick to attempt to move on the bad influence hence the removal of Eto'o, Marquez etc. The real good pros at the club: Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Valdes etc were delighted when a more professional approach was brought to the club.

On saying all that they still managed a Champions League win.

Antifa Hibs
13-12-2010, 11:55 AM
See everyone in Edinburgh creaming themselves over Barca and Madrid, strolling about in their replica strips, is that any different from some gloryhunting **** in Kirkcaldy walking about in their Rangers and Celtic tops?

I like watching Barcelona play, but I can't for the life off me see how people can say 'I support Barca' 'they are my team'. How can you support a team 1000 miles away? If people put as much effort into supporting their local clubs as they do supporting Barca, Madrid, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U, our league would be in much better state :agree:

Not aimed at anyone on here, just the public as a whole.

Cocaine&Caviar
13-12-2010, 11:56 AM
That team was the team i had the pleasure of watching for a whole season.

On the field they were fantastic but thanks to Rikkaards complete lack of discipline off the park they were a nightmare. It was widely known that Ronaldinho only trained 2 or 3 days a week but was seen out on the town almost every night.
On saying all that they still managed a Champions League win.

After THAT performance at the Bernabau, im surprised he even had to train that much.

cwilliamson85
13-12-2010, 11:58 AM
One of my mates is not just a Barcelona fan, he is THE Barcelona fan.

He phoned me last night after the game with the Catalan 'national anthem' playing at full blast to describe every pass, every piece of skill, every shot on goal. I thought he was about to burst into tears with the way he was going on. Having a drunk football fan rant at you for over an hour in Catalans about how much he loves his team and why they are the greatest institution on the planet is something everyone should experience at least once.

I know its become quite fashionable to have a pop at Barca the last few days with the sponsorship deal and whatever, but anyone who hasn't experienced being 'up close' to the club fails to see just what they mean to the people of the region. It looms over everything, people plan their life around the club and they really are, what all clubs should aim to be IMO, at the heart of the community. Obviously the history of Spain and the way the club was seen as a rallying point for the resistance movement during the Franco years makes it incomparable to other clubs but the way the club goes out of it's way to stay connected with the fans is pretty special.

What new deal? I thought they had unicef on there tops?

Pretty Boy
13-12-2010, 11:58 AM
After THAT performance at the Bernabau, im surprised he even had to train that much.

:agree:

He was absolutely different class. I watched that game in one of the Barcelona social clubs just down from Camp Nou and there were grown men in tears at how good both he and the team were that night.

Even the Madrid fans applauded the 3rd goal, that says everything realy.

Pretty Boy
13-12-2010, 12:01 PM
What new deal? I thought they had unicef on there tops?

They have just signed a 125M Euro deal to wear the Qatar Foundation logo alongside the Unicef one. The 1st commercial sponsorship they have had in 113 years.

Story here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9276343.stm

Green_one
13-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I know its become quite fashionable to have a pop at Barca the last few days with the sponsorship deal and whatever, but anyone who hasn't experienced being 'up close' to the club fails to see just what they mean to the people of the region. It looms over everything, people plan their life around the club and they really are, what all clubs should aim to be IMO, at the heart of the community. .

Still think their club song is really naff though. Honestly its about as exciting as Sunshine on Leith. Someone must have made it up in about 5 minutes. Whenever I hear it I think what would that crowd sound like with a decent song. The stadium is not the best either.

There, so they are not perfect. Close though. :greengrin

I still think Nish is the final part of their jigsaw. Add some much needed height to the attack. Hibs could take some wee guy plus cash as the swap.

patlowe
13-12-2010, 12:18 PM
I still think Nish is the final part of their jigsaw. Add some much needed height to the attack. Hibs could take some wee guy plus cash as the swap.

Nah, too many wee guys in the Hibs team, everyone knows we need a Matty Jack-type figure instead. :wink:

lyonhibs
13-12-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm not being funny here, but is there much point in most La Liga teams even turning up to the Nou Camp with Barca in this mood??

ScottB
13-12-2010, 01:32 PM
They have just signed a 125M Euro deal to wear the Qatar Foundation logo alongside the Unicef one. The 1st commercial sponsorship they have had in 113 years.

Story here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9276343.stm

Well there's a fair chance it might still be just Unicef, and even then this Foundation at least sound to be a charitable organisation.

I wonder how they rank among the greatest sides ever to take the pitch, I think we need to start talking about them in those terms, as they are simply untouchable by any current side...

number 27
13-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Obviously the history of Spain and the way the club was seen as a rallying point for the resistance movement during the Franco years makes it incomparable to other clubs but the way the club goes out of it's way to stay connected with the fans is pretty special.

Surely comparable to the Basque clubs. Then again Basque clubs don't win so many trophies. Could it be that all the "more than a club" nonsense on here is just an excuse for glory-hunting.:dunno:

Pretty Boy
13-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Surely comparable to the Basque clubs. Then again Basque clubs don't win so many trophies. Could it be that all the "more than a club" nonsense on here is just an excuse for glory-hunting.:dunno:

It could well be for others but certainly not for me. I lived in Barcelona and for a year they were my 'local club'. I also lived in Seville for a short time so have a bit of a soft spot for Real Betis as well ( and that certainly couldn't be called gloryhunting).

The Basque clubs is a decent example but it's not quite the same. Catalunya was the hub of the resistance to Franco and the club was a rallying point for thousands of people and still is including in parts of Southern France and the Ballearic Islands. When the Catalan flag was banned from being displayed Barca still flew it for many years proudly above Camp Nou, small acts like that gave a lot of people hope.

To be honest i do think the mes que un cub is a bit overplayed by some. At the end of the day i'm not naive enough to think Barca aren't as motivated by success, money and global branding as any of the other big clubs. But as i said earlier when you actually see the club up close and the part it plays in peoples everyday lives in that part of the world it's hard not to be quite taken in by it.

number 27
13-12-2010, 02:40 PM
It could well be for others but certainly not for me.

Sorry, I wasnt taking a shot at you personally, I just find a lot of so called Barca fans remind me too much of Old Firm glory hunters. In particular the ones who claim only to follow Celtc because of their "unique" heritage.

I do still see Barca as the best team on the planet though.

Teo10
13-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Sorry, I wasnt taking a shot at you personally, I just find a lot of so called Barca fans remind me too much of Old Firm glory hunters. In particular the ones who claim only to follow Celtc because of their "unique" heritage.

I do still see Barca as the best team on the planet though.

I wouldn't say I support them but I love watching them play, they are normally on sky every weekend so will allways watch the game or record it if I am out! It is very Old Firm like to walk about with the replica tops etc...

Sylar
13-12-2010, 03:21 PM
I really wouldn't say I'm a Barcelona fan, but when the greatest team on the planet are playing the best football I've ever witnessed, you'd better believe I'll wax lyrical about how good they are.

Anyone supporting one of the top 10 teams in Europe without either living in the city of said team, or having some form of connection (family support etc) is the very definition of a glory hunter in my eyes. But to simply enjoy watching a team play football, the likes of which the world probably hasn't seen before, is quite acceptable :agree:

Pretty Boy
13-12-2010, 04:00 PM
I really wouldn't say I'm a Barcelona fan, but when the greatest team on the planet are playing the best football I've ever witnessed, you'd better believe I'll wax lyrical about how good they are.

Anyone supporting one of the top 10 teams in Europe without either living in the city of said team, or having some form of connection (family support etc) is the very definition of a glory hunter in my eyes. But to simply enjoy watching a team play football, the likes of which the world probably hasn't seen before, is quite acceptable :agree:

I agree with you but it's not overly difficult to see why some folk, especially kids, are attracted to these big clubs.

Imagine being 6 or 7 again and your old man 'treating' you to a day out at an SPL game. Long balls, little real quality, Kirk Broadfoot as an internationalist etc then you go home and the TV schedules are full of games featuring Messi, Ronaldo, Torres etc. Don't get me wrong i'm a Hibs fan through and through but i'm starting to understand more and more why people, or bairns at any rate, wouldn't be particularly keen to watch their local team when it's so easy to 'follow' one of the big teams these days.

It's sad that thats the way football has gone but the problems go deeper than gloryhunting fans, the criminal neglect of the game at all levels in Scotland and elsewhere has driven folk away due to the shocking 'product' on the park.

seanraff07
13-12-2010, 04:43 PM
I think with people's Spanish teams here it's more a case of who they love to watch rather who they support, cause i can guarantee most people living here who have an interest in football will favour a Spanish team but hardly any of them will have actually went to a Barca/Real game before.

But i don't think you can have a go at those who like to support Barca or Real as you can watch every game they play so can keep track of their progress and some of the football they play at times, Barca inparticular, is incredible.

I started backing Sevilla in all their games about 5 years just for a bit of fun and now i know a fair bit about them and their progress in recent years. Unfortunately it's been a bit of a downwards slope for them the last 2 or 3 years. I don't 'support' them but i watch most of their games and have the home top.

I believe that favouring Barca or Real is just due to the fact they play lovely football and it gives us a break from the pish we watch here.:greengrin

ScottB
13-12-2010, 05:13 PM

It's also rather hypocritical, since I'm sure most of the folk bitching will 'support' Man Utd, Liverpool etc.

Sylar
13-12-2010, 05:22 PM
It's also rather hypocritical, since I'm sure most of the folk bitching will 'support' Man Utd, Liverpool etc.

Certainly not from a personal perspective - I don't really "support" any team - I like watching teams who play good football, but I don't have a passionate devotion to any team, not even Hibs in all honesty.

Hibbyradge
13-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Certainly not from a personal perspective - I don't really "support" any team - I like watching teams who play good football, but I don't have a passionate devotion to any team, not even Hibs in all honesty.

You're going to need this :tin hat:

Ireallywasthere
13-12-2010, 05:56 PM
I've been to see Barca a few times over the years and was there for their Champ league opener against Panathanikos, they were awsome that night and have been most of the season. Love watching them and I would call myself a supporter, after all, I have contibuted to their coffers on occasion.
However, as good as they are, I just dont get the same rush from it as I do when Hibs score.
Just cant beat that

Removed
13-12-2010, 05:57 PM
but I don't have a passionate devotion to any team, not even Hibs in all honesty.

No offence Scott but you are one hell of a strange guy

ScottB
13-12-2010, 06:06 PM

I didn't mean yourself by any means!

Find it funny that folk who grew up 'glory hunting' big English clubs object to folk doing the same with Barca now.

Personally don't have a problem with it myself, Barca are playing the best stuff going, if your actually into football, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to watch them!

Sylar
13-12-2010, 06:39 PM
No offence Scott but you are one hell of a strange guy

:greengrin - if you were the first person to say so, perhaps I'd be offended, but alas...

However, what in particular this time?...