PDA

View Full Version : Boozy

HibeeMcGinn1
12-12-2010, 02:56 AM
Very random but i thought I'd share with fellow cabbage. My mate got the train from Dunbar to Newcastle tonight for the toon pool match and mr beuzelin was on it. They started chatting away and pretty much spoke all the way down and went for a few beers together. Anyway my pal told me that the man is a complete gentleman and still loves the hibs. He said when Rudi gave the stupid L sign to the east on derby day he wanted to knock him the hell out (his words). Pretty random post but IMO he is a cabbage god. Moan the hibs.

Mark79
12-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Always liked boost. Not the best footballer but had the ability to stick his foot on the ball and dictate the pace. That's something we don't have now and miss in the team IMHO.

Mark79
12-12-2010, 09:46 AM
By boost I meant boozy. Predictive text.

PiemanP
12-12-2010, 11:05 AM
I think a member on here (meeko) met him on i night out in berwick upon tweed, he said he was singing hibs songs and had said he loved his time here!

He certainly was a great charactor, and it would be great to see him back at hibs in some sort of role (obviously not on the playing staff) as he obviously is very fond of the club and fans!

MontrealHibs
12-12-2010, 11:09 AM
After failing his medical at Killie he is awaiting an operation on his ankle on the NHS. Hopes to pick up a club for next season.

He could still cut it in the SPL (if fit) he's only 31.

AK86
12-12-2010, 11:19 AM
I think a member on here (meeko) met him on i night out in berwick upon tweed, he said he was singing hibs songs and had said he loved his time here!

He certainly was a great charactor, and it would be great to see him back at hibs in some sort of role (obviously not on the playing staff) as he obviously is very fond of the club and fans!
Yet another who became "too good " for Hibs. Didnt hang about when he got offered an extra few quid, then realises Hibs was the pinnacle of his career

Im fond of Hibs, can i get a job too :rolleyes:

Danny_Hibee
12-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Yet another who became "too good " for Hibs. Didnt hang about when he got offered an extra few quid, then realises Hibs was the pinnacle of his career

Im fond of Hibs, can i get a job too :rolleyes:

he was at hibs for 4 years, did you expect him to finish his career here instead of move to a bigger club, with a chance of getting to the premiership if they had got promoted?

AK86
12-12-2010, 11:46 AM
he was at hibs for 4 years, did you expect him to finish his career here instead of move to a bigger club, with a chance of getting to the premiership if they had got promoted?
Aye and he played about 20 decent games
just canny be daein with all the memory loss nostalgia that folk spout on here
Boozy was good, when he could be ersed. His last season at ER was a man going through the motions. But hey , dinny let the facts get in the way of a "ex player love in"

Scouse Hibee
12-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Boozy was good, when he could be ersed. His last season at ER was a man going through the motions. But hey , dinny let the facts get in the way of a "ex player love in"

:top marks:agree:

Danny_Hibee
12-12-2010, 11:52 AM

whats ur arguement then? if he only played 20 good games you should've been happy he left instead of moaning that he just left for more money

AK86
12-12-2010, 12:06 PM
whats ur arguement then? if he only played 20 good games you should've been happy he left instead of moaning that he just left for more money
Nae argument from me. Some think he was a legend and some massive Hibee who deserves a role at our club. I thought he was average
I will check with you in future before i post my view :wink:

Zazu62
12-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Average at best how many goals did he actually score?

mim
12-12-2010, 12:34 PM
A quality player.
I will never forget the way he treated Lennon with total contempt in the 2-2 game at ER. He bullied the bully and sat him on his arse twice.
Never as good after his serious injury, but great to watch all the same.

Wotherspiniesta
12-12-2010, 12:37 PM

10 goals in 99 appearances. Not bad for a defensive midfielder I'd say.

Class player on his day.

.Sean.
12-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Goals are irrelevant. Boozy wasn't a goalscorer and not many of us saw him as one. But when on form and injury-free, what a player. The way he'd often dictate games was absolutely phenomenal. Loved Boozy. Superb player, superb man :sauzee:

Hibbyradge
12-12-2010, 12:47 PM

:confused:

How many goals did Jim Leighton actually score?

Antifa Hibs
12-12-2010, 12:48 PM

I bumped into big Maka down the shore a year or two back, wishing I never bothered having that 10 minute blether with him and his wife as looking back at the mistake or two he made :rolleyes:

Hibby70
12-12-2010, 01:18 PM
I bumped into big Maka down the shore a year or two back, wishing I never bothered having that 10 minute blether with him and his wife as looking back at the mistake or two he made :rolleyes:

I bumped into Fabrice Henry up town one Friday night, he was blootered and thought I was picking a fight with him. When he realised I was a Hibby he wandered off into the night singing Hibs songs.

I genuinly do believe that the club does rub off on foreign players for some reason. Take Mixu for example - played around Britain during his career but his love for Hibs is greater than that for any others. Reckon Edinburgh has a part to play but there is something "special" about our club.

Just ask:
Franck
Zitelli
Dirk
Mixu
Russell
Jarkko... etc

Elephant Stone
12-12-2010, 01:36 PM
One of my favourite midfielders I've seen play for Hibs, easily.

I hope he gets back to being fit soon and wish him all the best :sauzee:

patlowe
12-12-2010, 01:39 PM
I bumped into Fabrice Henry up town one Friday night, he was blootered and thought I was picking a fight with him. When he realised I was a Hibby he wandered off into the night singing Hibs songs.

I genuinly do believe that the club does rub off on foreign players for some reason. Take Mixu for example - played around Britain during his career but his love for Hibs is greater than that for any others. Reckon Edinburgh has a part to play but there is something "special" about our club.

Just ask:
Franck
Zitelli
Dirk
Mixu
Russell
Jarkko... etc

When we had those players there was an air of positivity and optimism around the club. I'm not sure the atmosphere at Hibs and within the support engenders such a connection with foreigners anymore unfortunately.

Not that I'm complaining about the changes the club has made infrastructure wise recently, but I can't help feeling that everything is a bit too sanitised and corporate now. That documentary about hibs from the early 00's highlighted a light-hearted, ramshackle nature to how the team was run which I doubt would be possible anymore. While professionalism and progress are vital to hibs' future, I'd like to see the imbalance between "club" and business redressed.

Or it could just be that we are rank now.

Hillsidehibby
12-12-2010, 01:40 PM

Harsh. But fair

rainman
12-12-2010, 02:14 PM
You get a lot of "football knowledge" arguments on here.

If you can't appreciate what Boozy did for our team, you know nothing about football.

On the odd occasion, he would pull off the odd trick, make a box to box run that ended in a goal.

The rest of the time he took the ball deep and made a simple 5 yard pass.

Neil Lennon made a career out of it.

patlowe
12-12-2010, 02:36 PM
You get a lot of "football knowledge" arguments on here.

If you can't appreciate what Boozy did for our team, you know nothing about football.

On the odd occasion, he would pull off the odd trick, make a box to box run that ended in a goal.

The rest of the time he took the ball deep and made a simple 5 yard pass.

Neil Lennon made a career out of it.

Pretty much completely agree with you. Having a player with the confidence and ability to take responsibility in the middle of the park made a huge difference. Between August and December in Mowbray's first season Boozy was simply awesome. The only point I'd make is that he was a member of a highly-lauded midfield alongside Brown, Stewart and Thomson that got completely out-fought and overrun repeatedly at Tynecastle.

Ray_
12-12-2010, 03:03 PM

Not as many as Andy Goram, so that's settled that argument:greengrin

Zazu62
12-12-2010, 03:22 PM
We need a defensive midfielder who is a no nonsense hard tackling nutter

I did like boozy though he was a fans favourite

blackpoolhibs
12-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Boozy was superb when he first arrived at the club. After the injury he received, he was never quite the same player. On his day though, one of the finest players in the SPL.

jackhfc
12-12-2010, 04:41 PM
One of the few former Hibs players i'd clap if he were to play against us, was a great servant of our team before his injury, a good one after.

Also will always remember walking out with him as a mascot in the C.I.S 5-1 against Killie :greengrin

jackhfc
12-12-2010, 04:42 PM
We need a defensive midfielder who is a no nonsense hard tackling nutter

I did like boozy though he was a fans favourite

Ian Murray? :confused:

ahibby
12-12-2010, 05:12 PM
plays well enough until he gets a contract and then doesn't bother unless it's against the old firm. He will never pull on a Hibs jersey again and I can't say I'm bothered.

LaMotta
12-12-2010, 05:25 PM

That would be about 20 more decent games than some of the current midfielders we have.

Some of his his performances around the time Collins first took over were just a tad slightly better than decent - I'm sure anyone who watched him rip apart Motherwell at Fir Park when we one 6 -1 will agree.

Just cause he didn't play like that every week doesn't mean he couldn't be ersed - it meant he was inconsistent and was the reason he was at Hibs in the first place.

I wonder what some people expect from watching Hibs if they couldn't appreciate Boozy, or on a similar note Sproule - another who was apparently average and only played a few "decent" games for us...

Joe's ice cream
12-12-2010, 05:26 PM
A quality player.
I will never forget the way he treated Lennon with total contempt in the 2-2 game at ER. He bullied the bully and sat him on his arse twice.
Never as good after his serious injury, but great to watch all the same.

One of the best midfield displays I had seen in a long time watching Hibs. Also his performance away to Motherwell when we hammerd the
was superb

hibsbollah
12-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Very random but i thought I'd share with fellow cabbage. My mate got the train from Dunbar to Newcastle tonight for the toon pool match and mr beuzelin was on it. They started chatting away and pretty much spoke all the way down and went for a few beers together. Anyway my pal told me that the man is a complete gentleman and still loves the hibs. He said when Rudi gave the stupid L sign to the east on derby day he wanted to knock him the hell out (his words). Pretty random post but IMO he is a cabbage god. Moan the hibs.

I met Boozy in pretty similar circumstances to your mate. He was a superb laugh, we talked for ages on the train about HIbs and all kinds of other stuff, intelligent, genuinely interested in what I had to say and a complete non-prima donna. One of the good guys.

fatbloke
12-12-2010, 06:11 PM
When we had those players there was an air of positivity and optimism around the club. I'm not sure the atmosphere at Hibs and within the support engenders such a connection with foreigners anymore unfortunately.

Not that I'm complaining about the changes the club has made infrastructure wise recently, but I can't help feeling that everything is a bit too sanitised and corporate now. That documentary about hibs from the early 00's highlighted a light-hearted, ramshackle nature to how the team was run which I doubt would be possible anymore. While professionalism and progress are vital to hibs' future, I'd like to see the imbalance between "club" and business redressed.

If I didn't know better I would say you were reading my mind. I have been following Hibs for 50 years now but must admit Gradually over the last 2 or 3 years I have felt less and less connected to the club and I have to say it is not a nice feeling. Mibby I am just getting old or maybe need a SC win...

fatbloke
12-12-2010, 06:17 PM

This story is untrue I have it in good faith the HibeeMcGinn has got no mates except ones that cost £1:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

HibeeMcGinn1
12-12-2010, 07:11 PM
This story is untrue I have it in good faith the HibeeMcGinn has got no mates except ones that cost £1:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

jane_says
12-12-2010, 10:28 PM
boozy was a great player for hibs, certainly wouldnt say he was "going through the motions" towards the end, the first injury was a terrible one and he was never the same after that, but did he not get another one maybe a year and half - 2 years later just when he was coming on to a game?

will never forget him v neil lennon in 2-2 game and also does anyone remember him ending alex rae at er too?

the guy is a legend in my eyes not just because of his ability but because he loved the club and loved the fans.

seem to remember him scoring quite an important goal in october 05 too.....

sesoim
12-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Boozy was superb when he first arrived at the club. After the injury he received, he was never quite the same player. On his day though, one of the finest players in the SPL.

:agree: Never quite fulfilled his potential. I hoped one day he might take a step back Sauzee style and play sweeper. Maybe he still could?

sesoim
12-12-2010, 11:51 PM
I wonder what some people expect from watching Hibs if they couldn't appreciate Boozy, or on a similar note Sproule - another who was apparently average and only played a few "decent" games for us...

For me, Beuzy, Sproule, and Rob Jones as well were the type of players we SHOULD have been looking to hold onto. Obviously we have to sell players like Brown and Fletcher when we start getting offered millions and we can't afford to offer them decent wages. But Beuzy and co were all within our range - and they were all players who could have helped establish us as the 3rd best team in the country.

We have signed a few good players of a similar level since Mowbray left, but we have signed way too many bottom six level players, and that's why we are where we are just now.

M11BMO
13-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Boozy was taking training for my Sunday team a couple of months back. He was hoping to do his badges.

soproni1
13-12-2010, 03:34 PM
For me, Beuzy, Sproule, and Rob Jones as well were the type of players we SHOULD have been looking to hold onto. Obviously we have to sell players like Brown and Fletcher when we start getting offered millions and we can't afford to offer them decent wages. But Beuzy and co were all within our range - and they were all players who could have helped establish us as the 3rd best team in the country.

We have signed a few good players of a similar level since Mowbray left, but we have signed way too many bottom six level players, and that's why we are where we are just now.

:agree:

erin go bragh
13-12-2010, 04:02 PM

1 less than andy goram:greengrin

erin go bragh
13-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Boozy was taking training for my Sunday team a couple of months back. He was hoping to do his badges.
he done his badges 2 months ago[ one of my mates done his badges at the same time] and he were raving about boozy saying he was total class when playing some bounce games and couldnt understand how he has not got a club

HibbyAndy
13-12-2010, 04:06 PM
1 less than andy goram:greengrin

Id say 2 :wink:

And Boozy was simply a class act.

Your not unbeatable goal will always be remembered as total carnage in the East when he stroked that ball away, We went absolute bananas.

M11BMO
13-12-2010, 04:25 PM
he done his badges 2 months ago[ one of my mates done his badges at the same time] and he were raving about boozy saying he was total class when playing some bounce games and couldnt understand how he has not got a club

Ah didn't realise that. He had to stop coming as his wife had to work more so he was stuck with babysitting duties.

He's not got a club purely down to his knee injurys. He was telling us when he was taking our training that no club will offer him a contract as he's too much of an injury risk.

Broken Gnome
13-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Ah didn't realise that. He had to stop coming as his wife had to work more so he was stuck with babysitting duties.

He's not got a club purely down to his knee injurys. He was telling us when he was taking our training that no club will offer him a contract as he's too much of an injury risk. Yet people still begrudge the fact he chose to make a bit of extra money by moving down south. I'd guess the guy himself knew there was a chance his injuries would cut his career short, he'd have been daft not to take the Championship wages that were on offer. The quality of his '20 good games' were more than enough to leave him fondly remembered as well. The stick he gets is just daft, major part of three very good years at Hibs, could have been even more so were it not for the two injuries.