PDA

View Full Version : Doing things "the right way"...

Stevie Reid
10-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Today we have seen another example of pretty poor behaviour from an SPL club to get what they want, in Aberdeen's successful pursuit of CB and AK - after discussions and being told "no" and the reasons for their rejection, they went back and pleaded, got their man, and massively upset Motherwell at the same time. I think they have made an excellent managerial appointment as a result of this poor behaviour.

Back in 1996, Hearts approached Falkirk for permission to speak to Jim Jeffries - after discussions with Hearts, JJ decided he was going to stay with Falkirk. He then receives a phone call in the middle of the night from Chris Robinson, urging him to join - the rest is history, SC win followed 2 years later. When we wanted to appoint Alex McLeish after Alex Miller left, we approached Motherwell for permission to speak to him - that permission was refused and McLeish, because of his principles, refused to resign. We appointed Jim Duffy and were relegated a year later.

When we got our house in order in terms of the rebuilding of ER according to the Taylor Report, our player budget suffered as a result - Hearts were granted extensions to keep the shocking old away end open as it was for longer (AND still charge £18 for a "seat" with no view) than was initially allowed, they used their budget to secure Davie Weir, Neil McCann and Colin Cameron - 3 players who I believe were also on our radar, and were pivotal figures in Hearts' success over the next few years. Through missing out, we ended up the likes of Ian Cameron and Brian Grant, and were relegated.

Celtic have just shown that by throwing your toys out of the pram, coming up with ridiculous conspiracy theories, and basically acting in the most disgusting way imaginable, you can achieve your goals, however dispicable they are.

We are the best run club financially and have a fantastic stadium, yet we are outspent and are currently being seriously outperformed by those maroon ******** - whilst I wish to make it abundantly clear that I do not wish the Hibs board to amend their behaviour in any way possible, and certainly do not advocate spending beyond our means to try and achieve success, unfortunately doing things the right way does not keep you warm whilst others just do what they want to get what they want.

matty_f
10-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Today we have seen another example of pretty poor behaviour from an SPL club to get what they want, in Aberdeen's successful pursuit of CB and AK - after discussions and being told "no" and the reasons for their rejection, they went back and pleaded, got their man, and massively upset Motherwell at the same time. I think they have made an excellent managerial appointment as a result of this poor behaviour.

Back in 1996, Hearts approached Falkirk for permission to speak to Jim Jeffries - after discussions with Hearts, JJ decided he was going to stay with Falkirk. He then receives a phone call in the middle of the night from Chris Robinson, urging him to join - the rest is history, SC win followed 2 years later. When we wanted to appoint Alex McLeish after Alex Miller left, we approached Motherwell for permission to speak to him - that permission was refused and McLeish, because of his principles, refused to resign. We appointed Jim Duffy and were relegated a year later.

When we got our house in order in terms of the rebuilding of ER according to the Taylor Report, our player budget suffered as a result - Hearts were granted extensions to keep the shocking old away end open as it was for longer (AND still charge £18 for a "seat" with no view) than was initially allowed, they used their budget to secure Davie Weir, Neil McCann and Colin Cameron - 3 players who I believe were also on our radar, and were pivotal figures in Hearts' success over the next few years. Through missing out, we ended up the likes of Ian Cameron and Brian Grant, and were relegated.

Celtic have just shown that by throwing your toys out of the pram, coming up with ridiculous conspiracy theories, and basically acting in the most disgusting way imaginable, you can achieve your goals, however dispicable they are.

We are the best run club financially and have a fantastic stadium, yet we are outspent and are currently being seriously outperformed by those maroon ******** - whilst I wish to make it abundantly clear that I do not wish the Hibs board to amend their behaviour in any way possible, and certainly do not advocate spending beyond our means to try and achieve success, unfortunately doing things the right way does not keep you warm whilst others just do what they want to get what they want.
Good post. :agree:

Andy74
10-12-2010, 03:07 PM

Sorry, but what was poor about Aberdeen's behaviour?

They made an approach, were rebuffed, they made another and got their man.

I'm pretty sure we don't just walk away when people or clubs turn down our first offers.

Brown and Knox were working without contracts at Motherwell.

Stevie Reid
10-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Sorry, but what was poor about Aberdeen's behaviour?

They made an approach, were rebuffed, they made another and got their man.

I'm pretty sure we don't just walk away when people or clubs turn down our first offers.

Brown and Knox were working without contracts at Motherwell.

I'm aware that they had no contracts, but Motherwell are seriously riled by it and have complained to the SPL: -

"We believe that the conduct of the board of Aberdeen in this matter has been wholly inappropriate and in clear breach of SPL rules as well as basic courtesy.
"At no point did they inform us or seek our permission to speak to critical employees of our club and to seek to entice them to leave our employment."

I would've been happy for us to do exactly what Aberdeen had done in their situation, but I don't believe we would've - Brown would've jumped at the chance to come to us, though.

Phil D. Rolls
10-12-2010, 03:13 PM
I always think back to the original ethos of Hibernian. Knowing that a team of Irishmen would be up against it, the founders insisted that our players didn't just act on a par with their competitors, but show better sporting and moral values.

Maybe the need to fight prejudice isn't what it was, but I'd like to think I supported a team of higher principles. Before I'm accused of being dewy eyed, I acknowledge that there have been times when we let ourselves down - the Hart years and Duff and Grey spring to mind.

Would I swap that for a Scottish Cup win though? I'll get back to you if we ever win it.

Stevie Reid
10-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I always think back to the original ethos of Hibernian. Knowing that a team of Irishmen would be up against it, the founders insisted that our players didn't just act on a par with their competitors, but show better sporting and moral values.

Maybe the need to fight prejudice isn't what it was, but I'd like to think I supported a team of higher principles. Before I'm accused of being dewy eyed, I acknowledge that there have been times when we let ourselves down - the Hart years and Duff and Grey spring to mind.

Would I swap that for a Scottish Cup win though? I'll get back to you if we ever win it.

Good post, and I appreciate much of that sentiment - I like to think of Hibs of an extension of my personality in some ways (but in saying that, certainly not in others!). I have been on the receiving end of some very hurtful behaviour in my lifetime (who hasn't?) but have always taken pride in how I have conducted myself in these situations, and never stooped to the antogonist's level, and never changed my personality in the wake of these incidents.

I have been happy with how Hibs have conducted their business over the years - however, I am now beginning to think that I wouldn't care if we stooped to the level of some of our peers and were more ruthless and brutal in some aspects of club business. Is that wrong?

Hibercelona
10-12-2010, 03:25 PM
As much as I respect the principles of the club. Sometimes I wish we'd just push the boat a little.

Surely if we can spend 9,000,000 on a new stand. We could spend 1,000,000 on the field.

We do everything right apart from the thing that really matters. :boo hoo:

Hibbyradge
10-12-2010, 04:14 PM
As much as I respect the principles of the club. Sometimes I wish we'd just push the boat a little.

Surely if we can spend 9,000,000 on a new stand. We could spend 1,000,000 on the field.

We do everything right apart from the thing that really matters. :boo hoo:

We spent £3.5m on the stand.

And we've spent a lot more than a ninth of that on players.

Andy74
10-12-2010, 04:23 PM
We spent £3.5m on the stand.

And we've spent a lot more than a ninth of that on players.

And if we walked away everytime someone turned down a first offer we'd have no players at all.

PeeKay
10-12-2010, 04:50 PM
I think it is unfair that clubs are able to spend beyond their means to buy success on the park while a well-run club like Hibs is disadvantaged. But really, I just cannot stomach seeing John Boyle taking up a position of moral outrage, given his behaviour in tearing up players' contracts and leaving a number of small businesses in the Motherwell area in the ***** when he took his club into administration. Brown did not have a contract so the Sheep have done nothing wrong in my view.

gringojoe
10-12-2010, 04:55 PM
John Boyle annoyed about another club employing people who were not under contract to his club. Shame he wasn't so annoyed when he broke the contracts of people who were employed by his club or him.

Spike Mandela
10-12-2010, 06:36 PM
John Boyle annoyed about another club employing people who where not under contract to his club. Shame he wasn't so annoyed when he broke the contracts of people who where employed by his club or him.

Funny thing football though. Aberdeen sack the manager they lured after he done well at Motherwell and replace him with a manager currently doing well at Motherwell.:rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be funny if the pattern repeats and auld Pa Broon flops:greengrin