PDA

View Full Version : Raoul Moats Pal

aberhibsfc
09-12-2010, 02:14 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-11954284

Think I'll get my house coat on buy some bread and head down Newcastle for a spot of fishing.

Poor auld Gazza.

Hibbyradge
09-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I do feel sorry for him.

When I lived in London, I used to go along and watch him at White Hart Lane and he was an immense talent then.

Despite his fame and fortune, he's never taken himself seriously and it seems he has deep seated low self esteem.

Adding alcohol makes a potent and destructive combination.

I hope he recovers and leaves the country so he can reinvent himself in private.

aberhibsfc
09-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Y'know I like him, have a soft spot for him but at the same time find him infuriating.

Comparing Beckham and Gascoigne, Beckham is no slouch but Gascoigne was a more gifted player than Becks.

Then look at their contrasting lives. Beckham is at the top table of earnings and living the glamourous lifestyle Gascoigne could have had.

Gascoigne is in and out of trouble, he just doesn't seem capable of looking after himself.

Similar but not as sad was Best.

It seems that some people naturally gifted, well in British society, Gascoigne and Best just didn't know how to survive their fame and lost fortune.

It's nice to see that all the hangers on have drifted away a left Gascoigne to cut a lonely figure.

I am sure many people on these shores are not envious of Gazza and despite the British culture of build them up and chop them down popularity, I am sure many would just like to see him straighten himself out and try to enjoy what's left of his life. It sadly looks though that this ain't going to happen any time soon or at all.

lucky
09-12-2010, 04:37 PM
The was man footballing god. Who has to be pitted rather than hated. I hope he kicks his habits but sadly I think its a matter of time till we read of his premature death

Wotherspiniesta
09-12-2010, 06:32 PM
The was man footballing god. Who has to be pitted rather than hated. I hope he kicks his habits but sadly I think its a matter of time till we read of his premature death

:agree:

His actions mean he deserves to be in prison. Too many people feel "sorry" for him IMO. He was a footballing genius, with the world at his feet, getting paid a fortune to do what he loved. He has a family who loves him and is probably set for life with the money he made doing what he loved. He was given a chance to get back into football, managing a lower league team, but knocked it back.

It's quite hard to feel sorry for a man who'd rather throw that all away. I'm probably being a bit harsh, but his actions of endangering lives won't get much sympathy from me.

H18sry
09-12-2010, 06:39 PM

His actions mean he deserves to be in prison. Too many people feel "sorry" for him IMO. He was a footballing genius, with the world at his feet, getting paid a fortune to do what he loved. He has a family who loves him and is probably set for life with the money he made doing what he loved. He was given a chance to get back into football, managing a lower league team, but knocked it back.

It's quite hard to feel sorry for a man who'd rather throw that all away. I'm probably being a bit harsh, but his actions of endangering lives won't get much sympathy from me.

He may still end up there as he is back in court next week on another drink driving charge.

IWasThere2016
09-12-2010, 06:51 PM
He may still end up there as he is back in court next week on another drink driving charge.

Jail could do him some good!

Sad state o' affairs!

Nice words Mr Radge but I do agree with others that a sad demise seems likely and too soon. Shame - real shame.

Hibbyradge
09-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Nice words Mr Radge but I do agree with others that a sad demise seems likely and too soon. Shame - real shame.

Not just words, it's how I feel.

However, as much as I hope he finds a new direction, as sad as it would be, I won't be surprised if he keeps going downhill.

JimBHibees
10-12-2010, 09:18 AM

Saw a documentary about his family and the fear on his wife and kids faces whenever he phoned up jaked was horrible and imagine he was a nightmare to live with. Jail may be the obvious next step as the way he is going he is going to either kill himself or more likely some innocent other. Driving while 4 times over that is mental.

Sprouleflyer
10-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Saw a documentary about his family and the fear on his wife and kids faces whenever he phoned up jaked was horrible and imagine he was a nightmare to live with. Jail may be the obvious next step as the way he is going he is going to either kill himself or more likely some innocent other. Driving while 4 times over that is mental.

:agree: No sympathy from me.

4 times over the limit, he should have been locked up.

The guy is a menance, as noted by yourself.

Keith_M
10-12-2010, 02:39 PM

The guy was driving with four times the alcohol limit. It's just pure luck that that he wasn't involved in an accident.

He's a drunk, junkie and wife beater who would be receiving no sympathy at all if he hadn't been a famous footballer. Sticking him in jail might have been the best thing for everyone concerned.

Greentinted
10-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Ok I'll bite.
First of all, in no way shape or form can I (or would I) blindly defend a drink driver. Or a man of violence (domestic or otherwise - I'm not in the camp who alienates violence against women - by men - as somehow worse than any other form of violence. All violence is ugly). Or even an alcoholic or 'junkie (although I'm unaware of Gascoignes indulgence in heroin)

I am however, because of my own experiences, only too aware that the above named 'flaws' are indicative and merely symptomatic of some serious underlying health issues; again we come back to the differences between physical health and prejudice towards mental health.
Gascoigne displays all manner of psychological frailties which seem to be exacerbating as he ages. In terms of any addiction, and in particular one which is chemical-centric, it's easy to forget that the source of the addiction does not respect its host. Only this week I have been speaking with a female friend who is an alcoholic but is not 'ready' to stop. She knows the pitfalls of sustained alcohol abuse and while she stopped short of referring to herself as an 'alcoholic' she admitted that its the addiction that is making her life crap as opposed to saying she drinks because her life is crap. That was a major breakthrough.

Apologies for the anecdotal digression.

Gascoigne has several dependacy/co-dependancy issues, attachment problems, all manner of 'mental' frailties and an extremly 'addictive' personality. Whether he is internationally recognisable or a homeless hobo is of little relevance.
The man is ill. And while he remains ill, yes, for all intents and purposes, he is indeed a menace. But I should wonder if these displays of imbalance are actually rational, informed choices. He is on a path of intense self-sabotage and I fear he will die as a consequence; and for me at least, to dismiss him as an alky, junky, etc, only serves to perpetuate the societal malaise that manifests as ignorance, intolerance and self-absorpsion.

We will all know a 'Paul Gascoigne'. It's how we interact with him thats important.

While I may appear to be an apologist for what some may see as a waster, I am oft reminded of the cliche 'there but for the grace of God go I'.

Hibercelona
10-12-2010, 05:51 PM
He's a seriously flawed man.

I dont have sympathy for him, but I won't say I have any feelings of hatred towards him either.

I don't know the man personally. So i don't know if what he does is through complete choice, or whether he has serious mental issues triggered by certain events in his life.

All I can say is that its sad for those who care for him. :agree:

Hibbyradge
10-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Ok I'll bite.
First of all, in no way shape or form can I (or would I) blindly defend a drink driver. Or a man of violence (domestic or otherwise - I'm not in the camp who alienates violence against women - by men - as somehow worse than any other form of violence. All violence is ugly). Or even an alcoholic or 'junkie (although I'm unaware of Gascoignes indulgence in heroin)

I am however, because of my own experiences, only too aware that the above named 'flaws' are indicative and merely symptomatic of some serious underlying health issues; again we come back to the differences between physical health and prejudice towards mental health.
Gascoigne displays all manner of psychological frailties which seem to be exacerbating as he ages. In terms of any addiction, and in particular one which is chemical-centric, it's easy to forget that the source of the addiction does not respect its host. Only this week I have been speaking with a female friend who is an alcoholic but is not 'ready' to stop. She knows the pitfalls of sustained alcohol abuse and while she stopped short of referring to herself as an 'alcoholic' she admitted that its the addiction that is making her life crap as opposed to saying she drinks because her life is crap. That was a major breakthrough.

Gascoigne has several dependacy/co-dependancy issues, attachment problems, all manner of 'mental' frailties and an extremly 'addictive' personality. Whether he is internationally recognisable or a homeless hobo is of little relevance.
The man is ill. And while he remains ill, yes, for all intents and purposes, he is indeed a menace. But I should wonder if these displays of imbalance are actually rational, informed choices. He is on a path of intense self-sabotage and I fear he will die as a consequence; and for me at least, to dismiss him as an alky, junky, etc, only serves to perpetuate the societal malaise that manifests as ignorance, intolerance and self-absorpsion.

We will all know a 'Paul Gascoigne'. It's how we interact with him thats important.

While I may appear to be an apologist for what some may see as a waster, I am oft reminded of the cliche 'there but for the grace of God go I'.

Excellent post.

Phil D. Rolls
10-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Ok I'll bite.

The thing that always troubles me about substance and alcohol abuse being labelled a mental illness, centres on control. It puzzles me that someone with no control over what happens to them can still formulate and execute schemes to feed their addiction.

That isn't to say that madness doesn't exist alongside the addiction. However, if he was that mad, would he have been able to function as a footballer for so long? Did it all go to pieces the minute he stopped playing?

JimBHibees
11-12-2010, 03:38 PM
The thing that always troubles me about substance and alcohol abuse being labelled a mental illness, centres on control. It puzzles me that someone with no control over what happens to them can still formulate and execute schemes to feed their addiction.

That isn't to say that madness doesn't exist alongside the addiction. However, if he was that mad, would he have been able to function as a footballer for so long? Did it all go to pieces the minute he stopped playing?

Admittedly not an expert on the subject however IMO to abdicate any personal responsibility from repeated personal choices made isnt right.