PDA

View Full Version : Bridging the Capital Divide - A Lesson in Dignity and Respect!

Greentinted
08-12-2010, 10:50 PM
After the recent loss of Jim Cruikshank, some younger fans (of both clubs) appeared genuinely surprised at the tributes offered from the green side of the city. IIRC, without digging the thread out, there was not one post which had even a mere suggestion of dissent or tacit hostility.

Speaking about it earlier on, a few of us (from both camps) were toiling to think of the most recent players who would evoke a similar amount of respect and admiration from the other side. The best we came up with was John Robertson and Franck Sauzee.

Any others spring to mind?

Biggie
08-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Ralph Callaghan, he was a decent servant to both clubs...I couldn't see too many disrespectful comments when he moves on....

Diclonius
08-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Am I the only one who thought Michael Stewart was all right? He didn't say a single bad thing about us after leaving - the one time he appeared to he got really pissed off at the journo that worded it that way. And he was crap against us which is always a plus. :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
08-12-2010, 11:26 PM
After the recent loss of Jim Cruikshank, some younger fans (of both clubs) appeared genuinely surprised at the tributes offered from the green side of the city. IIRC, without digging the thread out, there was not one post which had even a mere suggestion of dissent or tacit hostility.

Speaking about it earlier on, a few of us (from both camps) were toiling to think of the most recent players who would evoke a similar amount of respect and admiration from the other side. The best we came up with was John Robertson and Franck Sauzee.

Any others spring to mind?

Think there is a different mindset these days unfortunately..... I could honestly see some fans of both sides revelling in the death of players of recent era, and Robertson and Sauzee would both fit into that.......

Shame really.......

ScottB
08-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Think there is a different mindset these days unfortunately..... I could honestly see some fans of both sides revelling in the death of players of recent era, and Robertson and Sauzee would both fit into that.......

Shame really.......

Personally I find the type of fans that go around actually seething with hatred at the sight of anyone / anything draped in the colours of their rival club rather pathetic really!

To be honest there's probably more folk who'd sooner throw a punch or a coin than show some respect in that situation.

Jack
08-12-2010, 11:40 PM
I think once players move on now they stand a better chance of recognition from the other half: Graig Gordon springs to mind.
Astonishingly there were more than a few Jambos who thought it was a disgrace that Deeks wasn't capped recently!
So there's hope, on both sides, although I'm not holding my breath - or wasting any on their current squad.

Greentinted
08-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Ralph Callaghan, he was a decent servant to both clubs...I couldn't see too many disrespectful comments when he moves on....

Aye, that would be a fair comment. In a similar vein then would Darren Jackson be held in equal esteem?

And I agree with BF in that there would be some who would have a problem with the two I mentioned, and it is a pity. Sometimes its more noble to accept that there are some who are good footballers and good guys regardless of their clubs (Brian Laudrup springs to mind)

Hibby D
08-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Antti Niemi :agree:

Diclonius
08-12-2010, 11:57 PM
I think once players move on now they stand a better chance of recognition from the other half: Graig Gordon springs to mind.

While Gordon is undoubtably a top class goalkeeper, I still don't like him, and I think you'll find most Hibbies agree.

I still remember the delight he took in taking the piss out of Fletcher in a fair few derbies, and let's not forget his playacting to get Shiels sent off a few years ago. :grr:

Toaods
09-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Gordon's a pluky git. End of.

jackhfc
09-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Gordon's a pluky git. End of.

Gordon is a bellend, i'd rather see him in a Scotland jersey than beasty McGregor mind you.

Phil D. Rolls
09-12-2010, 06:35 AM

Did they ever forgive him for signing for us? They certainly hated his guts for years, even though Ralph wanted them to love him.

Am I the only one who thought Michael Stewart was all right? He didn't say a single bad thing about us after leaving - the one time he appeared to he got really pissed off at the journo that worded it that way. And he was crap against us which is always a plus. :greengrin

Players revolt, Scottish Cup semi, no thank you.

Aye, that would be a fair comment. In a similar vein then would Darren Jackson be held in equal esteem?

And I agree with BF in that there would be some who would have a problem with the two I mentioned, and it is a pity. Sometimes its more noble to accept that there are some who are good footballers and good guys regardless of their clubs (Brian Laudrup springs to mind)

Great player, but hardly the most dignified or likeable of people.

Having said all that, the passage of time can do a lot to bring respect. I would have thought the ones who would be missed most would be those who have had long careers for their clubs.

Nowadays, all it takes is someone to score a goal in a derby to be a "legend". Real legends are the likes of Pat Stanton, Jim Jeffries (for sticking with the Yams through thin and thinner), and of course Gary MacKay, who almost won a double for Hearts in 1986.

Sloop
09-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Going back to an earlier era, don't think there would be many unkind comments about Donald Ford and Alan Gordon.

Ritchie
09-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Brian Hamilton...........
:greengrin

MB62
09-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Going back to an earlier era, don't think there would be many unkind comments about Donald Ford and Alan Gordon.

Pat Stanton, a fantastic football player and an absolute gentleman.

Frazerbob
09-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Take you don't read Kickback MB62. The way they speak about Pat Stanton is disgusting.

Peevemor
09-12-2010, 09:48 AM
I think there was more (albeit often grudged) respect for opposing players pre-Bosman. It was easier to identofy with the players as you'd seen the vast majority of them come through the ranks at whatever clubs they'd been at.

If you look at the Hibs and Hearts teams of say the 70s and 80s, these guys were all mates, often having known each other from Hutchie, Selcesen and the likes.

This is no longer the case.

Internet message boards also polarise things.

Golden Bear
09-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Alan Gordon - a gentleman, scholar and great goalscorer who performed well for both Hibs & Hearts.

He probably had the best days of his career at ER and formed a great striking partnership with Jimmy O'Rourke.

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I would tread a bit more carefully with this, true the respect shown by US about departed Hearts players recently has been first class but they have slagged off many Hibs players in the past including Stanton (a jakey according to them :confused:) and don't really give Franck much credit either, so let's keep them at arms length for the time being, there are some real nasty knobheads over there.

MB62
09-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Take you don't read Kickback MB62. The way they speak about Pat Stanton is disgusting.

Spot on, never have and certainly have no intention of ever reading it.
Honestly can't see for the life of me why anybody would have a problem of any description with Pat. Have been in his company a good few times now and he was at my wedding (07-07-07 :thumbsup:) and I can only reiterate what I said before, he is an absolute gentleman.

Phil D. Rolls
09-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I would tread a bit more carefully with this, true the respect shown by US about departed Hearts players recently has been first class but they have slagged off many Hibs players in the past including Stanton (a jakey according to them :confused:) and don't really give Franck much credit either, so let's keep them at arms length for the time being, there are some real nasty knobheads over there.

To be fair, they voted Franck their best opposing player back in the old days of fanzines. Messageboards tend to be full of obsessives with too much time on their hands :whistle:.

Dunbar Hibee
09-12-2010, 01:32 PM

:agree: Shocking.

bournehibby
09-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Pat Stanton, a fantastic football player and an absolute gentleman.

The late, great Willie Hamilton :agree:

bh

LeithBoozy
09-12-2010, 02:44 PM
They did not like Alan Gordon, and that came from Alan himself. He said he always felt more at home at ER, Im glad that I was able to buy Alan a drink once in the behind the goals bar. You would have thought I had just bought him the world, what a gentleman he was. I would ask my fellow Hibby's to do the same when given the chance, dont be pushy just let them know we are still glad to see them. Before they are eventually lost to us forever. RIP BIG ALAN.

stoneyburn hibs
09-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Personally I find the type of fans that go around actually seething with hatred at the sight of anyone / anything draped in the colours of their rival club rather pathetic really!

To be honest there's probably more folk who'd sooner throw a punch or a coin than show some respect in that situation.

of course your entitled to your opinion, but i personally always seethe/sneer, when i see or hear anything to do with the hertz, whether it be driving through gorgie or passing a scarfer, and i dont think im in the minority , or think it is pathetic

Baldy Foghorn
09-12-2010, 05:23 PM
of course your entitled to your opinion, but i personally always seethe/sneer, when i see or hear anything to do with the hertz, whether it be driving through gorgie or passing a scarfer, and i dont think im in the minority , or think it is pathetic

I do as well....The minute I see a yam scarf, I want to boak all over the peasant wearing it....:sick:

Dashing Bob S
09-12-2010, 11:08 PM
I think one of the issues about Hearts players like Cruickshank and Ford, was that they were pre-segregation and pre-Mercer takeover bid. Both these things (although the first was probably essential) set a rivalry in stone and greatly heightened the toxic edge.

I've nothing against Hearts fans on an individual basis, as most of my family are Yams, but I think their club is a pathetic, shabby and cheap little institution and, well, you'd have to be a bit soft in the head to follow them.

So I kind of pity the Yams, but a lot of them happy enough, and some have a reasonable-ish quality of life. Would never hate them though, that would be a bit like hating a dog or cat because it can't read or tie shoelaces.

Removed
09-12-2010, 11:49 PM
It's an interesting one. I've used the "hate" word to my dad and he has pulled me up for it. He was probably of the last generation who would do the ER one week Tynie the next thing and he still knows way more yams personally than I do. So in terms of the OP, yes there is a different mindset today imo but I think there are probably three groups:
- those in my dads age group 60+ who remember the 50's & 60's when we had a great team and there was no segregation and they all went to derbies together
- those in my age group who started going to ER in the 70's & 80's who lived through the barren years, mediocrity, the near death of our club followed by Skol cup glory
- and the current generation who have had to live through the RRevolution and Believe pish where hatred for all things pink has grown far more and quickly than in previous generations, probably because the yams won **** all before the submariner took over

I personally only know about a dozen yams and only one would I class as a friend and want to spend any time with. The rest are so up themselves and superior it's embarrasing. So like DBS I agree they should be pitied, I refuse to waste any energy hating them any more because it's actually easier and more enjoyable to laugh because when it all comes down to it..........they're ****ed :faf:

Cropley10
10-12-2010, 12:30 AM
It's an interesting one. I've used the "hate" word to my dad and he has pulled me up for it. He was probably of the last generation who would do the ER one week Tynie the next thing and he still knows way more yams personally than I do. So in terms of the OP, yes there is a different mindset today imo but I think there are probably three groups:
- those in my dads age group 60+ who remember the 50's & 60's when we had a great team and there was no segregation and they all went to derbies together
- those in my age group who started going to ER in the 70's & 80's who lived through the barren years, mediocrity, the near death of our club followed by Skol cup glory
- and the current generation who have had to live through the RRevolution and Believe pish where hatred for all things pink has grown far more and quickly than in previous generations, probably because the yams won **** all before the submariner took over

I personally only know about a dozen yams and only one would I class as a friend and want to spend any time with. The rest are so up themselves and superior it's embarrasing. So like DBS I agree they should be pitied, I refuse to waste any energy hating them any more because it's actually easier and more enjoyable to laugh because when it all comes down to it..........they're ****ed :faf:

What he said /\:agree:

RIP
10-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Personally I find the idea that supporting a different football team reflects on a person's personality hysterically funny. I really can't imagine anyone with a shred of intellect, common sense or self-respect promoting that viewpoint.

Surely we can differentiate between the hysterical ramblings on an internet messageboard where nothing can ever be taken seriously and our real life family, work and personal relationships.

The young man that tried to attach himself to the Singing Section at Carlisle and at St Johnstone ER game was one such example. Thought he "I'll sing a song about Jews, Wogs and Pakis not being welcome in Edinburgh and Wallace Mercers widow being on her own at XMAS" and I'm sure I'll find other fools who will sing along with me. As it happened - he only found a couple - but it was still 3 too many!

We can take justified pride in the class, dignity and professional way with which our club has been run and contrast it with the shambles across the road. However as Hibs supporters we should never do anything that would bring the good name of our club into disrepute - be it singing tasteless songs or disgracing our club by throwing objects at opposition players.

We should show dignity and class at all times imo

Glory Glory

Greentinted
10-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Interesting conversational dynamic.
As regards my query pertaining to how Darren Jackson would be perceived I may be in a minority but having spoke with him on several occasions (during his playing days) I found him to be a decent gadge who always credited his time at Hibs as being the making of him.
Another name that was thrown up was that of Peter Marinello, and one which followers of both clubs (my age) speak fondly of.
An anecdote which I think sums up the difference (and no, I'm not trying to stake a claim in any moral high ground) is the 'booked for being ugly' episode centered on Steve Fulton. I can't for the life of me believe that the Hearts equivalent of the East Terracing guys would be able to enjoy a bit of reciprocated banter with any of our players. I may be wrong but highly doubt it.