PDA

View Full Version : Tynecastle

Baldy Foghorn
08-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Does anyone else have a ritual that they do when passing the piggery??

I have done since a youngster and continue to do so, is to salute with middle finger when passing....

Reason I ask, that at nearly 38, am I a Bairn??

Anyway I drew some strange looks today from the passengers on the 33 bus.....

bighairyfaeleith
08-12-2010, 03:15 PM

I have done since a youngster and continue to do so, is to salute with middle finger when passing....

yes your a big bairn.

Nowt wrong with that though:greengrin

Mikey
08-12-2010, 03:16 PM
I hold my nose.

Peevemor
08-12-2010, 03:16 PM

Probably because you were doing it with only one hand. :agree:

Baldy Foghorn
08-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Probably because you were doing it with only one hand. :agree:

I had bags in the other, although I muttered the c word under my breath.....

Sherlock Jones
08-12-2010, 03:23 PM
I swallow hard to try to keep my latest meal down.
Less a ritual, more an instinct.

greenginger
08-12-2010, 03:24 PM
I will the place to fall down !

And it's working :thumbsup:

glenn6270
08-12-2010, 03:27 PM
never usually pass on the bus .but do on the western approach road.always give it the middle finger salute .

:thumbsup: ya big bairn .lol

HenryMonk
08-12-2010, 03:29 PM
simples....i never look.

skipster7
08-12-2010, 03:32 PM
i drive past their pitiful effort of a main stand at least once a day trying to contain my laughter.always tempted to shout some abuse (even at random dafties standing about) if i wasn't in my works van.:greengrin

andyhibs
08-12-2010, 03:37 PM
I hold my nose.
so do i , between the smell of the piggery and the brewery, both rank

Groathillgrump
08-12-2010, 03:43 PM
The piggery always gets the two fingered salute from me.

MSK
08-12-2010, 03:47 PM
I lived in Stenhouse for 10 years & my Daughters since the day they could talk were trained to utter the words "Tynecastle is a piggery" every time we travelled along the Western approach road behind the ground ....:greengrin

We recently went by that way & both my Daughters now 16 & 20..uttered the very same immortal words ... i hope when they are married wi kids they pass it on ...:thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
08-12-2010, 03:55 PM
I always start singing a Hibs song under my breath and give a one fingered salute with pride.

Childish? Most definitely but i care not a bit.

Barney McGrew
08-12-2010, 04:18 PM
I lived in Stenhouse for 10 years & my Daughters since the day they could talk were trained to utter the words "Tynecastle is a piggery" every time we travelled along the Western approach road behind the ground ....:greengrin

My five year old daughter associates the smell of the brewery with it, and always says 'poo dad - can you smell Hearts?' as we drive past on the Western Approach Road.

:greengrin

scoopyboy
08-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Pedant alert.

The brewery is actually a distillery.

MSK
08-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Pedant alert.

The brewery is actually a distillery.Or more prob the chemical factory ..the whole area at one time from Dalry to Roseburn was surrounded by breweries hence a rather rotten smell...

Wi the worst obviously emanating from Tynecastle ..:jamboak:

Barney McGrew
08-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Pedant alert.

The brewery is actually a distillery.

Depending on which way the wind blows, you quite often get the smell from the Caley just off Slateford Road :wink:

scoopyboy
08-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Or more prob the chemical factory ..the whole area at one time from Dalry to Roseburn was surrounded by breweries hence a rather rotten smell...

Wi the worst obviously emanating from Tynecastle ..:jamboak:

Definitely not the chemical factory as you call it, and one knows this for a fact.

scoopyboy
08-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Depending on which way the wind blows, you quite often get the smell from the Caley just off Slateford Road :wink:

Not a bad kop out Barney but the wind seldom blows in that direction.

Am I right in saying the Caley brewery is the only one left in Edinburgh?

Barney McGrew
08-12-2010, 05:40 PM

Aye, there used to be 41 breweries in Edinburgh at one point in the dim and distant past, but that's the only one left. Next nearest after that is Stewart's at Loanhead.

Sad times :boo hoo:

scoopyboy
08-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Aye, there used to be 41 breweries in Edinburgh at one point in the dim and distant past, but that's the only one left. Next nearest after that is Stewart's at Loanhead.

I worked in the Whisky industry throughout the eighties and my base was at 84 Slateford Road. One time we lifted a carpet to get a new one fitted and there was a cracking mosaic underneath. It was of a brewery that used to manufacture from there, IIRC it might have been Bernards.

At that time it belonged to the North British Distillery and they had warehouses virtually all the way down to Gorgie Road, I think it was maltings prior to being converted,

Now the warehouse have been flattened for housing.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Biscuits Preston claimed that Kano won't drive past the stadium will detour
Would even get out and walk if others tried to drive past

Me ? I just give it a dignified cursory glance

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-12-2010, 06:07 PM

What were they expecting you to do Stevie? I beat you by a year in the big kid stakes, but, until someone cuts my fingers off that ****hole will receive the same gesture from me!

Baldy Foghorn
08-12-2010, 06:09 PM
What were they expecting you to do Stevie? I beat you by a year in the big kid stakes, but, until someone cuts my fingers off that ****hole will receive the same gesture from me!

Glad to hear that Colin........ Seems there are a number of us who do things to that dump when passing..........

Hibee Daz
08-12-2010, 06:29 PM
It's usually a two fingered salute and a mutterance of F yous ya hertz cantz from me.

I'm 35 and I've been doing this for as long as I can remember, call me childish but I aint breaking this habit of a lifetime.:lolyam:

AndersonGGTTH
08-12-2010, 06:35 PM
i always stick the fingers towards the stadium on a 44 bus although i cant see stadium but if i am on the train passing i will sing a song , childish? well i am 15 :agree:

Stantons Angel
08-12-2010, 06:36 PM
When my son was a bairn my dad, who was not a football man took him out in his buggy and was passing Tyncastle with him when my son shouted out "hold your nose grandad, this place smells!" and proceeded to hold his wee nose.

My dad was black affronted and never forgot the incident. Needless to say i got the blame for teaching him this when it was his dad!!!! I did teach him to cross the road to Pat Stanton (the green man crossing lights) though!

The place is still a dump and still stinks even to this day!!!!:greengrin

H18sry
08-12-2010, 06:43 PM

Has McGowans and Rose ST micro breweries closed aswell? :confused:

Sergey
08-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Not a bad kop out Barney but the wind seldom blows in that direction.

:hijack:

I'd like to give a plug to the folks at Innis & Gunn. A fine drop of beer.....brewed in Edinburgh :agree:

Baldy Foghorn
08-12-2010, 06:50 PM

I'd like to give a plug to the folks at Innis & Gunn. A fine drop of beer.....brewed in Edinburgh :agree:

Bottled Innis & Gunn now stocked in Hibs Supporter's Association.......

Sergey
08-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Bottled Innis & Gunn now stocked in Hibs Supporter's Association.......

I'd be first in the queue if they could offer it on draft.

Calvin
08-12-2010, 06:57 PM
I'd be first in the queue if they could offer it on draft.

Does anywhere offer it on draught?

scoopyboy
08-12-2010, 07:16 PM

Forgive the ignorance Sergey, but I've never heard of it. Where is it brewed?

Dr Jimmy
08-12-2010, 07:21 PM
My five year old daughter associates the smell of the brewery with it, and always says 'poo dad - can you smell Hearts?' as we drive past on the Western Approach Road.

I have done exactly the same with my kids...my youngest us now 10 and still does it.

H18sry
08-12-2010, 07:28 PM

http://www.innisandgunn.com/aroundtheworld.htm :wink:

Sergey
08-12-2010, 07:28 PM

I don't know exactly. Sorry.

You can pick-up bottles in the major Tesco's and Waitrose stores. It'll set you back about £1.60 per bottle, but it's money well spent.

IIRC, Sainsbury's also stock it.

scoopyboy
08-12-2010, 07:44 PM
I don't know exactly. Sorry.

You can pick-up bottles in the major Tesco's and Waitrose stores. It'll set you back about £1.60 per bottle, but it's money well spent.

IIRC, Sainsbury's also stock it.

You said earlier you hijacked the thread Sergey but it turns out that you haven't really. It has turned a full circle back to my comment at #22.

H18sry gave a link that I read and it turns out I used to work in the Scotch Whisky Industry at the same time as Russell Sharp, whose sons middle names give the beer its name. Was a bit of a dafty wi a drink in him and used to get involved at whisky fuctions which in those days was part and parcel of the industry. Small world.

ronaldo7
08-12-2010, 07:56 PM
You said earlier you hijacked the thread Sergey but it turns out that you haven't really. It has turned a full circle back to my comment at #22.

H18sry gave a link that I read and it turns out I used to work in the Scotch Whisky Industry at the same time as Russell Sharp, whose sons middle names give the beer its name. Was a bit of a dafty wi a drink in him and used to get involved at whisky fuctions which in those days was part and parcel of the industry. Small world.

And we're back to the Caley Brewery

Russell Sharp
Russell Sharp, co-founder of the Edinburgh Brewing Company Limited, has spent his entire career in the drinks industry.

He was the founder of the Caledonian Brewing Company in 1987 when he rescued it from closure. Since then the Caledonian Brewery has become one of the great icons of Scottish Brewing.

As M.D. and Head Brewer, Russell was resposible for creating and developing all of Caledonian multi award winning Cask and Bottled Beers. These include, Caledonian 80/, Merman, Golden Promise - Britain's first Organic Beer, Edinburgh Strong Ale, a superb range of seasonal ales and of course, Deuchars IPA, created in 1990. Deuchars was highly innovative at the time and has collected every award in the book, including Champion Beer of Britain in 2001.

Caledonian Brewery was sold to Scottish and Newcastle Breweries in 2003.

Previously, he worked for 16 years in the Whisky Industry with Chivas Brothers. Here he was responsible for Production, Quality Control, Research and Development, and New Product Development. He was involved with:

Whiskies
Chivas Regal
Royal Salute
100 Pipers
The Glenlivet
Glen Grant
Strathisla
Lochanora (whisky Liqueur) Gins
Burnetts and Boodles Rums
Captain Morgan
Old Charlie
Captain Morgan Spiced

He was much involved in Research into Whisky Maturation, which formed the basis for the creation, with his son Dougal of the Oak Aged Beer, Innis & Gunn.

Hibercelona
08-12-2010, 08:03 PM
The only time I come within a 1000000ft radius of that place is when I go to Easter Road. :cool2:

matty_f
08-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Stick the fingers up when i'm going past it, and usually mutter a wee girfuy under my breath. :agree:

sleeping giant
08-12-2010, 08:47 PM
I turn the other cheek and cover my laddies eyes :greengrin

fatbloke
08-12-2010, 09:27 PM

Course you're not a bairn. I am 54 flash the vickies and shake my head disapprovingly.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Ronaldo7, Caley Merman one of the best beers i've dabbled in, I'm no expert though.

yekimevol
08-12-2010, 11:08 PM
after ive seen or been near the thing i go for a shower as soon as possible

HibbyKeith
08-12-2010, 11:08 PM
My five year old son knows he's in BIG trouble when he's asked.. "DO YOU WANT TO GO TO TYNECASTLE?" he usually replies crying... "noooo daddy noooo" :greengrin, He does however know that if your a good boy you go to Easter Road.

as for being a big bairn.. at this time of the year especially, when in the shops i cant leave without making sure every hearts calander is covered by a hibs one.

matty_f
08-12-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm waiting on where'swallace's response of "whenever I pass the asbestos arena, I leather snowmen!":thumbsup:

ScottB
08-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Go past it fairly often, couldn't give a toss really!

ronaldo7
09-12-2010, 06:55 AM
Ronaldo7, Caley Merman one of the best beers i've dabbled in, I'm no expert though.

:top marks

Hibernia Na Eir
09-12-2010, 07:05 AM

lets just be thankful that their odd little pink bus shelters are completely enclosed by other buildings and the general public cant really see it. Tis a very odd stadium it has to be said

johnrebus
09-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Lived in Dalry many years ago and passed 'The Pit' every other day, didn't and still doesn't bother me. This obsessive hatred with each other is - IMHO - down to Wallace Mercer, he las a lot to answer for

If truth be told, Gorgie is a very similar area to that which surrounds Easter Road. A bit run down but still retaining much character, not least by the 115 year old North British Distillery. Jointly owned by Diageo and Erdington (Famous Grouse , Highland Park etc) it produces only grain whisky for blending. First chairman was Andrew Usher (donated the money for the Usher Hall) who is generally credited with inventing blends.

Growing up in the seventies I still associate that smell with gubbing Hearts at Tynecastle............

There is nothing wrong with Gorgie. Hardly their fault that it is cursed by the presence of a smelly fitba' team.............,

FranckSuzy
09-12-2010, 05:45 PM
My five year old son knows he's in BIG trouble when he's asked.. "DO YOU WANT TO GO TO TYNECASTLE?" he usually replies crying... "noooo daddy noooo" :greengrin, He does however know that if your a good boy you go to Easter Road.

as for being a big bairn.. at this time of the year especially, when in the shops i cant leave without making sure every hearts calander is covered by a hibs one.

:faf: :top marks

KeithTheHibby
09-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Can't say that I do anything that would attract attention from members of the public however I do think to myself 'god I hate that ****ing *****hole and everything that club stands for, bunch of *****' everytime I happen to unfortunately find myself in Gorgie.

hibee4life1983
10-12-2010, 02:56 AM
I pretend to gob, always have, sometimes i make the hissing noise jus to shake it up a bit.

Keith_M
10-12-2010, 11:06 AM

I thought it was just me as well :greengrin

Though, I don't restrict this to calendars, the football section in Waterstones get's a regular 're-arranging' visit as well. In fact, I think I'll nip down there now..............