PDA

View Full Version : George Best at Hibs

Lucky_Jim
08-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Saw this book for sale about George Best at Hibs by John Munro -

http://www.thefootballnation.co.uk/blog/archives/466

Just wondered whether anyone has read this? Any good? Worth buying as a christmas stocking filler?

Cheers
Jim

Baldy Foghorn
08-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Saw this book for sale about George Best at Hibs by John Munro -

http://www.thefootballnation.co.uk/blog/archives/466

Just wondered whether anyone has read this? Any good? Worth buying as a christmas stocking filler?

Cheers
Jim

Saw an article on this in paper not long ago....Not sure GB's time at Hibs warranted a book being written, due to the shortness of his time here, but it will no doubt rekindle some memories of him...... I saw him play a couple of times but seeing as I was 7 my memories are hazy to say the least....

I can remember the excitement though that Hibs had signed him.... It was a big thing in the block where the residents where mainly hibbies

Lucky_Jim
08-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Saw an article on this in paper not long ago....Not sure GB's time at Hibs warranted a book being written, due to the shortness of his time here, but it will no doubt rekindle some memories of him...... I saw him play a couple of times but seeing as I was 7 my memories are hazy to say the least....

I can remember the excitement though that Hibs had signed him.... It was a big thing in the block where the residents where mainly hibbies

I suspect that Besty's memories used to be fairy hazy o' his time at Hibs too Baldy!!

Baldy Foghorn
08-12-2010, 07:05 PM
I suspect that Besty's memories used to be fairy hazy o' his time at Hibs too Baldy!!

Yes the night he was out with the Scotland Rugby team springs to mind:wink:

sleeping giant
08-12-2010, 07:09 PM
The only game i can remember was against the San jose Earthquakes.
50p to get in and my Dad still lifted me over:greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
08-12-2010, 07:11 PM
The only game i can remember was against the San jose Earthquakes.
50p to get in and my Dad still lifted me over:greengrin

I remember being taken to see him play at the piggery, but not against yams, maybe an away cup tie.....Can any older bods qualify this, or have I lost the plot?:confused:

sleeping giant
08-12-2010, 07:18 PM
I remember being taken to see him play at the piggery, but not against yams, maybe an away cup tie.....Can any older bods qualify this, or have I lost the plot?:confused:

Semi final against Celtic. We lost 5-0 ????
Ring any bells ?

scoopyboy
08-12-2010, 07:18 PM

We played at Tynecastle against Meadowbank Thistle in the Scottish Cup about that time.

IIRC struggled to a 1-0 win.

scoopyboy
08-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Ring any bells ?

Semi against Celtic at Hampden.

Baldy Foghorn
08-12-2010, 07:21 PM
We played at Tynecastle against Meadowbank Thistle in the Scottish Cup about that time.

That will be the one Jock.....Thank God I was not losing the marbles............

Baldy Foghorn
08-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Ring any bells ?

Cheers but Jock has solved it for me:wink:

The Harp
09-12-2010, 12:34 PM

Yeah, remember this one. It was Thistle's home tie but as they weren't allowed to host games against Hibs, Yams and the Old Firm, at Meadowbank, it was played at Tynecastle. Took my son along to see his first Hibs game that day - not exactly a classic.

Ollie75
09-12-2010, 03:09 PM
They are selling old prints of Best in the shop. In fact they were selling old prints of alot of folk. About time too.

Hibby Gav
09-12-2010, 03:28 PM
I just had to drop this in :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVT-cgqKJsE

GG