PDA

View Full Version : NHC Pa Broon Heading To Aberdeen (merged)

Gettin' Auld
07-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Heard on Radio Scotland (so it must be true :greengrin) that Craig Brown is in talks with Aberdeen!!

Removed
07-12-2010, 06:54 PM
I got the text below earlier from a sheepie at my work

....Loads of rumours that Craig brown will be confirmed as new manager next week, discussions ongoing with Knox. As I said rumours but everywhere and has gone from 12-1 to 11-10 in the bookies (allegedly)

Gettin' Auld
07-12-2010, 07:06 PM
I got the text below earlier from a sheepie at my work

....Loads of rumours that Craig brown will be confirmed as new manager next week, discussions ongoing with Knox. As I said rumours but everywhere and has gone from 12-1 to 11-10 in the bookies (allegedly)
I can't understand why he'd be interested in that job.

Barney McGrew
07-12-2010, 07:09 PM

It's probably the biggest job in Scotland that he's ever going to be able to get now. He'll never be hired by the OF, we've just signed CC and no-one sensible will ever want to work for the Gorgie basket cases.

It'll be far better paid than Motherwell too I'd have thought.

Lmc2105
07-12-2010, 07:10 PM

Yup i agree with that like ... he has a decent squad down at Motherwell unless he had been promised some funds to spend in January .. apart from like i can't see why the job would be enticing

Would be gutted to be a motherwell fan if true

Removed
07-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Yup i agree with that like ... he has a decent squad down at Motherwell unless he had been promised some funds to spend in January .. apart from like i can't see why the job would be enticing

Why does anyone move job? :wink:

Lmc2105
07-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Why does anyone move job? :wink:

Cause they don't like the people they work with

El Presidente :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-12-2010, 08:53 PM

And McGhoo and Leech will roll back into the dug out at Fir Park with the compo money to invest in the team.

Lmc2105
07-12-2010, 09:43 PM
And McGhoo and Leech will roll back into the dug out at Fir Park with the compo money to invest in the team.

Now that would be some story :greengrin

PaulSmith
07-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Well are a rubbish club with 3500 fans at home games with very little potential.
Aberdeen could be in a new stadium in 2 years and easily take 3500 to away games.

Frazerbob
07-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Looks like I could be joining the "scoop" gang after my tip off on the PM board last week. Put a decent wedge on at 20/1 so really hope he signs on the dotted line. Christmas will be all wrapped up!

Beefster
08-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Brown doesn't want the job.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/9257495.stm

Part/Time Supporter
08-12-2010, 11:27 AM
:faf:

You're not famous anymore

ed: obviously the faf is at AFC, rather than frazerbob. Tough luck, still a v. good scoop IMO.

:agree:

Sergy Pie
08-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Looks like I could be joining the "scoop" gang after my tip off on the PM board last week. Put a decent wedge on at 20/1 so really hope he signs on the dotted line. Christmas will be all wrapped up!

Ouch, looks like you're back to square one. 20-1 would have been a beauty.

:boo hoo:Sorry to rub it in.

Stevie Reid
08-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Ouch, looks like you're back to square one. 20-1 would have been a beauty.

:boo hoo:Sorry to rub it in.

Glad he's not going, would've been disappointed if he'd gone there tbh.

Though I am fully behind CC.

IWasThere2016
08-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Ouch ..

Gettin' Auld
08-12-2010, 12:11 PM
The Aberdeen fans have taken it well. :greengrin

Quote.............

ABERDEEN will not be appointing Motherwell management Craig Brown and Archie Knox to replace Mark McGhee.

70-year-old former Clyde and Preston boss Brown and assistant Knox work without contracts at Fir Park, and they spoke with officials from Aberdeen on Tuesday.
However a Motherwell statement released this morning insisted the pair will remain in charge of the Lanarkshire club for the foreseeable future.

Brown and Knox briefly took Motherwell to third place in the SPL this season, but have sank back into fifth behind Inverness Caley Thistle in recent weeks - the position they finished last season. By comparison, Aberdeen's recently-sacked boss McGhee took the Steelmen to third place in 2008.

Motherwell chief executive Leeann Dempster said: "We can confirm that representatives from Aberdeen Football Club met briefly with both Craig Brown and Archie Knox yesterday afternoon. "However, both have decided to reject any approach and reiterated their commitment to Motherwell Football Club."

Although AFC officials have been reported saying they want an experienced gaffer to replace McGhee, appointing septuagenarian Brown would have been a bizarre move for a club with loftier ambitions than merely escaping relegation and finishing mid-table.

Brown would have no long-term future at AFC, will not be poached by a bigger club even if he does well, and will not win us the league, so AFC would have had nothing to gain from it at all.

Hopefully the board will pursue an alternative route, preferably attempting to uncover the next big thing rather than 15 years ago's distinctly mediocre scraps.

Part/Time Supporter
08-12-2010, 12:16 PM

Hopefully the board will pursue an alternative route, preferably attempting to uncover the next big thing rather than 15 years ago's distinctly mediocre scraps.

More to the point, "15 years ago's distinctly mediocre scraps" want nothing to do with AFC.

rubber mal
08-12-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote.............

Brown would have no long-term future at AFC, will not be poached by a bigger club even if he does well, and will not win us the league, so AFC would have had nothing to gain from it at all.

Just your typical sheep-****ging twat still living in the 80s...:yawn:

Pretty Boy
08-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Just your typical sheep-****ging twat still living in the 80s...:yawn:

I've said it before and i'll say it again: Aberdeens fans delusions make Hearts fans inflated opinions of their club seem rational and well thought out.

Spike Mandela
08-12-2010, 01:35 PM

I've said it before and i'll say it again: Aberdeens fans delusions make Hearts fans inflated opinions of their club seem rational and well thought out.

They have good reason to be delusional. Very successful in the 80's and decent in the 90's.

For a club from the oil rich city with big crowds and reasonable success to have fallen so low is diisgraceful mis-management IMO.

marinello59
08-12-2010, 01:43 PM
They have good reason to be delusional. Very successful in the 80's and decent in the 90's.

For a club from the oil rich city with big crowds and reasonable success to have fallen so low is diisgraceful mis-management IMO.

It's also very funny.

jackhfc
08-12-2010, 01:46 PM
It's also very funny.

:agree::greengrin

R'Albin
08-12-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote.............

ABERDEEN will not be appointing Motherwell management Craig Brown and Archie Knox to replace Mark McGhee.

70-year-old former Clyde and Preston boss Brown and assistant Knox work without contracts at Fir Park, and they spoke with officials from Aberdeen on Tuesday.
However a Motherwell statement released this morning insisted the pair will remain in charge of the Lanarkshire club for the foreseeable future.

Brown and Knox briefly took Motherwell to third place in the SPL this season, but have sank back into fifth behind Inverness Caley Thistle in recent weeks - the position they finished last season. By comparison, Aberdeen's recently-sacked boss McGhee took the Steelmen to third place in 2008.

Motherwell chief executive Leeann Dempster said: "We can confirm that representatives from Aberdeen Football Club met briefly with both Craig Brown and Archie Knox yesterday afternoon. "However, both have decided to reject any approach and reiterated their commitment to Motherwell Football Club."

Although AFC officials have been reported saying they want an experienced gaffer to replace McGhee, appointing septuagenarian Brown would have been a bizarre move for a club with loftier ambitions than merely escaping relegation and finishing mid-table.

They are more deluded than the yams, i always get told about their great youth players that are "the best in scotland" The referees are against them, " the best away support in Scotland maybe our home support as well" is another one i tend to get, considering the last time we played them at pittodrie they didnt sing one song! i get told that Donald Trump is gonna wipe their debt, They also think that phil Brown will get the aberdeen job!

They do my head in cant wait to give them a stuffing at ER and all i have to say to the above news is :faf::faf::thumbsup:

anyway....rant over:wink:

Spike Mandela
08-12-2010, 06:45 PM
It's also very funny.

Aye, I suppose it is a bit:greengrin

rubber mal
08-12-2010, 06:48 PM
It's also very funny.

:thumbsup:

Twiglet
09-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Aberdeen just sound desperate now http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/9257495.stm

Jim44
09-12-2010, 01:53 PM
McGhee should ask Milne to reconsider his decision. :greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
09-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Aberdeen fans are the jambos of the north. Possibly worse because they don't have a real derby rival's fans to rip them and bring them back down to earth.

Judas Iscariot
09-12-2010, 10:35 PM
He'll be announced as new Dons boss tomorrow :agree:

vein
09-12-2010, 10:37 PM

Looks like you may still be on for a pay out here, BBC news saying that the deal may still be on....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/default.stm

Frazerbob
09-12-2010, 11:31 PM
He'll be announced as new Dons boss tomorrow :agree:

:agree: Yip, it's a done deal.

Caaaaaching!! :greengrin:greengrin

RickyS
10-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Looks like you may still be on for a pay out here, BBC news saying that the deal may still be on....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/default.stm

"someone approached us before and we said no"
Broon says that they turned down another club cos the time was wrong, which jobs could he have been offered in the last year?

Hibbie_Cameron
10-12-2010, 12:05 AM
:agree: Yip, it's a done deal.

Caaaaaching!! :greengrin:greengrin

Congrats

Think he is daft though

Removed
10-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Just got a text that he has resigned. When did that happen?

NthCarolinaHibs
10-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Just been confirmed on talksport :thumbsup:

Diclonius
10-12-2010, 12:27 AM

Just under half an hour ago.

Removed
10-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Just under half an hour ago.

Ta

Baldy Foghorn
10-12-2010, 03:51 AM

That is one helluva u-turn in 24 hours from Brown.......

bighairyfaeleith
10-12-2010, 07:02 AM
That is one helluva u-turn in 24 hours from Brown.......

Not for brown it's not, more faces than big ben that ****

Kaiser1962
10-12-2010, 07:38 AM

Absolutely. But to come out in the papers yesterday and give us all this guff about Craigan saying "thanks" and how much this meant to him, while praising everything about Murderwell and so on, totally beggars belief even by Pa Broon standards.

On the plus side Tam Cowan should be good :greengrin

Stevie Reid
10-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Great appointment IMO, really wanted Brown and Knox here at ER.

EVENTUALLY
10-12-2010, 09:31 AM
This may be good news for Hibs. I don't believe Yogi had a great chance of landing the Dons job but he may be someone who interests Motherwell. If he's appointed at Fir Park he may look to recruit McBride,Nish,Rankin amongst others.

EskbankHibby
10-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Absolutely. But to come out in the papers yesterday and give us all this guff about Craigan saying "thanks" and how much this meant to him, while praising everything about Murderwell and so on, totally beggars belief even by Pa Broon standards.

Seems it was just brass neck bargaining on the part of old Clive Dunn. Think this is what really winds the fans up though, if he just came out and said "Aberdeen are going to give me more cash and i think they are a bit bigger club so i'm offski" fans would understand, they may be disappointed but they would understand.

All this keek about not wanting to leave the club, great club, good to me and Archie, don't want to leave the grandchildren:blah::blah::blah:

Likely scenario is that yesterday Milne spoke to him and offered a sum of money which was not enough, J R Hartley then comes out with all this guff about loving the club, knocked back the approach etc etc but he's just playing poker, Milne comes back with an improved offer 12 hours later, :bye: Motherwell.

With moral fibre like that surely he should be at Tynecastle?

Baldy Foghorn
10-12-2010, 10:00 AM

Hard to disagree

Thats what I dont get. Brown and Knox had spoken about moving, but decided against is due to Knox having had 15 house moves. Brown then said hid grandkids thought Aberdeen was Outer Mongolia, then bang off he trots..... What a prize brass necked plum...

Hibee87
10-12-2010, 10:02 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/9257495.stm

Hibs7
10-12-2010, 10:25 AM
The man has more faces than Big Ben, no morals and no sense of responsibility, hope they get relegated it is all they and him deserve.

Andy74
10-12-2010, 10:35 AM
The man has more faces than Big Ben, no morals and no sense of responsibility, hope they get relegated it is all they and him deserve.

I never will understand why people in football have an increased obligation of loyalty to their employers than any of the rest of us.

If I was offered a job for more money and maybe better resources to do it with in future then I'd be off too.

Things like location and Grandkids do obviously come into it and there was nothing wrong with him saying that was a a factor. It's a factor that like all of us have to do in these situations its all considered and evidently that has been outweighed by something else in the job offer making it, on balance, the right thing for him and his family.

IWasThere2016
10-12-2010, 10:35 AM

Ouch ..

Well done my man! :top marks I sincerely hope you were on it LARGE! :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
10-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I never will understand why people in football have an increased obligation of loyalty to their employers than any of the rest of us.

If I was offered a job for more money and maybe better resources to do it with in future then I'd be off too.

Things like location and Grandkids do obviously come into it and there was nothing wrong with him saying that was a a factor. It's a factor that like all of us have to do in these situations its all considered and evidently that has been outweighed by something else in the job offer making it, on balance, the right thing for him and his family.

:agree: The way of the world .. more and more so too

EskbankHibby
10-12-2010, 10:55 AM

Absolutely, so would i. Surely in this instance though it was more money and better resources the first time Aberdeen approached Brown as well, why knock it back yesterday?

Trying to get more cash, simple as that, should have been more honest with the fans imo.

Andy74
10-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Absolutely, so would i. Surely in this instance though it was more money and better resources the first time Aberdeen approached Brown as well, why knock it back yesterday?

Trying to get more cash, simple as that, should have been more honest with the fans imo.

The offer was obviously better all round scond time, simple as that. Whatever doubts were in his mind about relocation etc have been overcome.

PaulSmith
10-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Serious question, how long a contract do you give to a 70 year old? Life expectancy in Scotland is around the 75 mark and you cannot possibly imagine Brown still being manager in 3-4 years and creeping towards 80 year old.

Mikeystewart
10-12-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm sure I read or listened to an interview with Craig Brown since he took the job at Motherwell saying that this would be his last in football. If anyone could find it I'm sure it would be an interesting retrospective read.

Ritchie
10-12-2010, 03:56 PM
ive read in a couple of rags that another team recently approached CB & AK but they turned it down.....

anybody know if it was Hibs?? :confused:

Andy74
10-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Serious question, how long a contract do you give to a 70 year old? Life expectancy in Scotland is around the 75 mark and you cannot possibly imagine Brown still being manager in 3-4 years and creeping towards 80 year old.

Or like Motherwell don't give them a contract then greet when they walk away.

Hibs7
10-12-2010, 04:15 PM

It is the way he did it, spouting all his crap and then jumping the next day.

Andy74
10-12-2010, 04:17 PM
ive read in a couple of rags that another team recently approached CB & AK but they turned it down.....

anybody know if it was Hibs?? :confused:

No chance. He's talking about aberdeen as an all round bigger club than motherwell. He'd have jumped at hibs right away.

Shows you how much crap was talked about on here about how Brown would never leave Motherwell to come to us due to where we were in the league.

Andy74
10-12-2010, 04:20 PM
It is the way he did it, spouting all his crap and then jumping the next day.

What crap? We are awful sensitive these days about what people say!

He said he wasn't really tempted first time, didn't want the upheaval but also was looking for Motherwell to show some ambition.

Aberdeen came back, presumably with some ways around hs issues and he decided to go.

Done the same myself with job offers, my current one I turned down when I first thought about it but after things were changed just a wee bit and I thought a bit more about it then it made more sense to me.

hibiedude
10-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Well are a rubbish club with 3500 fans at home games with very little potential.
Aberdeen could be in a new stadium in 2 years and easily take 3500 to away games.

Aberdeen are worse than Motherwell so not sure what point your trying to make.

How any half decent Manager would want to manage Aberdeen is beyond me :confused:

Brown wil regret this decision :agree:

cam75
10-12-2010, 04:27 PM
News up north is brown has taken the job because SM has given him a house Worth close to £750000,nice if you can get it.....:boo hoo:

M11BMO
10-12-2010, 04:29 PM
News up north is brown has taken the job because SM has given him a house Worth close to £750000,nice if you can get it.....:boo hoo:

Penny's to Milne if true.

hibiedude
10-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Any manager taking the Aberdeeb job is asking to be sacked when it all goes wrong for pa Brown & Co

PaulSmith
10-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Aberdeen are worse than Motherwell so not sure what point your trying to make.

How any half decent Manager would want to manage Aberdeen is beyond me :confused:

Brown wil regret this decision :agree:

Quite simply Aberdeen are a far bigger club with more potential than Motherwell.

Ritchie
10-12-2010, 04:45 PM
No chance. He's talking about aberdeen as an all round bigger club than motherwell. He'd have jumped at hibs right away.

Shows you how much crap was talked about on here about how Brown would never leave Motherwell to come to us due to where we were in the league.

True, but he might just hate hibees.

cam75
10-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Aye but he is getting a £750000 plus house in woodlands Aberdeen its SM old house beautiful house ive been in it:wink:

essexhibee
10-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Strange Decision. :confused:

hibiedude
10-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Quite simply Aberdeen are a far bigger club with more potential than Motherwell.

more potential are you joking Motherwell have been the better club for about the last 3 years.

Aberdeen will have to offload about 9-10 first team players before they become an average team.

There fans won't give a manager there backing because they want instant success and that's years away for this club.

PaulSmith
10-12-2010, 06:20 PM
more potential are you joking Motherwell have been the better club for about the last 3 years.

Aberdeen will have to offload about 9-10 first team players before they become an average team.

There fans won't give a manager there backing because they want instant success and that's years away for this club.

Aye OK, Motherwell are a bigger club than Aberdeen, you win.

DAVE1875
10-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Pa Broon confirmed as Sheep boss on SSN, two-and-a-half-year deal

James70
10-12-2010, 11:59 PM
At least the sheep fans will get a few laughs now with Jack and Victor in charge! :greengrin

jackhfc
11-12-2010, 01:58 AM
I'm glad he's left Motherwell, should stop them being so over achieving and go back where they belong in the bottom 6

marinello59
11-12-2010, 07:14 AM
Strange Decision. :confused:

Not really. Crowds have fallen to an unsustainable level up there and relegation is a genuine possibility. They had to get an experienced pair of hands in and therefore Broonie will have been in a strong bargaining position with both his personal terms and his transfer window kitty. I am not convinced he will be able to turn things round at Pittodrie though. (That might just be wishful thinking on my part.:greengrin)

hibiedude
11-12-2010, 07:35 AM
I wish pa Brown well in his new job but Aberdeen are a poor team and have been on freefall for years so I can't understand some people's take that because Jack & Victor are now in charge that the problems this club have had for many years have been addressed.

marinello59
11-12-2010, 08:49 AM
It looks like Pa Broon has been a wee bit less than truthful here. No shock there, always something of the classroom sneak about him. Motherwell complain that Aberdeen made an illegal approach for Brown and Knox. Aberdeen reveal that they were approached by an agent saying the pair were interested in talking. Seems his pledge of loyalty to Motherwell was even more hollow than it first appeared. No doubt Broon will produce some stats to prove that 99% of successful managers are duplicitous windbags.

jdships
11-12-2010, 12:06 PM

Agree totally .
59 years ago I moved clubs for £0.15.0d per week a 12% increase in my basic wage !!
Football is a short career and you are not practicing for the next time round !!
Not defending Brown , Well or Dons but Brown /Knox were working on a "non contract " basis therefore they could leave as and when they wanted
Same goes for the Dons there was no obligation surely , other than one of courtesy, for them to approach 'Well

hibiedude
11-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Aye OK, Motherwell are a bigger club than Aberdeen, you win.

I never said Motherwell are a bigger club than Aberdeen :confused: why don't you read the post before replying. :bitchy:

ekhibee
11-12-2010, 08:14 PM

I still find it hard to understand Andy. This team are going down the way fast. I don't know what his family circumstances are, or if he has any relations up that way that would help to influence his choice. They don't have much money just now and unless he works miracles with this team, who, by the way, have just been totally stuffed by Hearts, I can't see the board, or more appropriately Milne, digging into his pockets. They are now bottom of the league, the older more experienced players are setting an even worse example than some of ours did last season, and the youngsters confidence is obviously at rock bottom. And if he doesn't keep them up, it'll be him that gets the flak, not McGhee no matter how bad that clown was. Strange choice by him IMO, can't help thinking he and Knox don't get out to often and still think there is potential to be right up there with this team, I hope for his health's sake that's not the case.

Iggy Pope
11-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Agree totally .
59 years ago I moved clubs for £0.15.0d per week a 12% increase in my basic wage !!
Football is a short career and you are not practicing for the next time round !!
Not defending Brown , Well or Dons but Brown /Knox were working on a "non contract " basis therefore they could leave as and when they wanted
Same goes for the Dons there was no obligation surely , other than one of courtesy, for them to approach 'Well

Admirable but a wee bit like the old adage about being down the pits before we were born.
Not made much money myself, but I've been pretty comfortable through a combination of luck and a lot of hard work.

Never had people interview me for the telly about my job though.

Or employed men who have their names emblazoned on the backs of their shirts so that we can charge the plebs 40 notes a pop for a replica.

Never worked to a stringent wage cap or worked under administration and never had my post (or integrity) discussed on an internet 'forum' by folks who were nowhere near qualified to do so.

Would your fifteen bob have covered that lot?

Spike Mandela
12-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Of course we all know when he's going to get his first win for Aberdeen.

The Hibernian benevolant society will be operating on Boxing day no doubt:wink:

jdships
12-12-2010, 10:22 AM
]Admirable but a wee bit like the old adage about being down the pits before we were born.[/B]
Not made much money myself, but I've been pretty comfortable through a combination of luck and a lot of hard work.

Never had people interview me for the telly about my job though.

Or employed men who have their names emblazoned on the backs of their shirts so that we can charge the plebs 40 notes a pop for a replica.

Never worked to a stringent wage cap or worked under administration and never had my post (or integrity) discussed on an internet 'forum' by folks who were nowhere near qualified to do so.

Would your fifteen bob have covered that lot?

Not quire sure what point you are trying to make ?
But you seem to have some sort of axe to grind.
Don't like being patronised by the way !
Simply expressed my opinion on the thread
My point was about football careers and nothing to do with life outside football
You cannot compare the life of a yoing footballer with that of one who has set off on an office/trade career.
For what its worth my 12/- made a big difference to the money I had in my pocket but within two years I was back to being "pretty comfortable through a combination of luck and a lot of hard work." which continued for another 44 years as thousands of others have experienced !!