&

the best i've seen live was Stewart Francis

DAVE1875
07-12-2010, 04:32 PM
My favourite would be Billy Connolly

Best I've seen live is Ross Noble

Baw Baggio
07-12-2010, 04:40 PM
David O' Doherty- His show at the festival was hilarious. He was superb on Never Mind the Buzzcocks a few weeks ago

.Sean.
07-12-2010, 04:56 PM
I like Al Murray's 'pub landord' and Peter Kay. ther are many comedieans I like, but a few I can't stand, the main one being Johnny Vegas. He's a fat prick, and wholly unfunny.

Probably against the popular consencus here but i'm not a fan of Lee Evans.

MSK
07-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Jimmy Carr is brill ..seen him live three times ...alao think Lee Mack is brill, no had the chance to see him live yet ..

OtterHibee
07-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I don't tend to watch a great deal of stand up, however I am loving Rhod Gilbert at the minute.

He is one of the select few comedians who never fail to have me in hysterics.

Removed
07-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Eric Davidson :thumbsup:

What do you think Suzy? :wink:

degenerated
07-12-2010, 05:53 PM
jerry sadowitz is by far and away the best i've seen live. First time i saw him was in the late eighties and he kicked off with "terry waite, what a ******, lend someone a fiver and you never see them again" which had me in stitches at the time. The guy is also a genius magician into the bargain :agree:

Plenty others that i like as well including frankie boyle, kevin bridges and jim jeffries.

JE89
07-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Best I've seen is Kevin Bridges. Not seen many though. I also really like Ricky Gervais, think fame and animals are brilliant.

Cropley10
07-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Jim Jefferies - absolutely brilliant.

Micky Flanagan also.

Hiber-nation
07-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Billy Connolly but in the mid/late 70s & early 80s....we're talking seriously side splitting. I just don't find any of the current lot remotely funny.

Saorsa
07-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Billy Connolly but in the mid/late 70s & early 80s....we're talking seriously side splitting. I just don't find any of the current lot remotely funny.:agree: on both points

Only comedian I've ever been tae see though is Chubby Brown on several occasions :cool2:

Pretty Boy
07-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Rich Hall, Jerry Sadowitz, Dylan Moran and Ross Noble are probably the best i have seen live.

Also find Doug Stanhope ridiculously funny although haven't seen him live.

My 2 favourites though are Bill Hicks and vintage Billy Connolly.

Wotherspiniesta
07-12-2010, 07:42 PM
I've not seen him live, but having seen his stand-up stuff (a lot) on the TV, It HAS to be Lee Evans for me.

I seen Kevin Bridges at the festival and he was very funny aswell.

Frankie Boyle's stand up is poor. Ricky Gervais and Russel Brand are just awful at everything. All IMO of course :greengrin

Leicester Fan
07-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Only comedian I've ever been tae see though is Chubby Brown on several occasions :cool2:

Me too (apart from a few minor comics). Hilarious but a bit stomach churning too.

johnbc70
07-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Terry Alderton - funniest show on the the fringe, you just laugh for the whole hour. Defo recommend seeing him next time he plays Edinburgh.

matty_f
07-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Have to say I'm not a fan of jim jefferies, I think he's another one that uses shock tactics to make up for a fundamental lack of intelligence to his routine. Not saying he doesn't have his moments but I don't particularly like his stuff.
one of my favourites at the moment is shaun locke, he is brilliant.

Greentinted
07-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Kevin Bridges is (rightly so) the man of the moment
Sarah Millican is excellent live
John Bishop is on his way to becoming the finest lugubrious comic of our times.
And maybe a controversial choice but I really enjoy Russel Kane's patter.

lyonhibs
07-12-2010, 09:38 PM
I like Al Murray's 'pub landord' and Peter Kay. ther are many comedieans I like, but a few I can't stand, the main one being Johnny Vegas. He's a fat prick, and wholly unfunny.

Probably against the popular consencus here but i'm not a fan of Lee Evans.

Couldn't agree more - running about, sweating like a pig and squawking in a high-pitched voice about pish is not my idea of funny.

Best I've seen live would have to be Jimmy Carr, though Chris Rock or Billy Connolly would have to be my favourites of all time.

Removed
07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Anyone been on a Thomsons holiday and seen Ricky K (flown in from the UK for 1 night only) :whistle:

The funnier bit was when we were back from holiday Peter Kay was on tv and one of the bairns asked if he was Ricky K's brother :greengrin

Hibbie_Cameron
07-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Billy Connolly but in the mid/late 70s & early 80s....we're talking seriously side splitting. I just don't find any of the current lot remotely funny.

I pretty much agree with that. Some of them raise a laugh here and there but i dont find any of the current crop side splitting, most of them are too predictable.

Dont even get me started on Peter Kay, i cannot stand that man

Calvin
08-12-2010, 02:02 AM
Working at the Festival this year I got to see Paul Foot about a dozen times and could barely pour a pint while he was on I was laughing that much. An absolute genius, glad that Noel Fielding got him onto the Buzzcocks a few weeks ago for him to steal the show. Andrew Maxwell this year was phenomenal but unfortunately he only did bits and pieces here and there. As for a stand alone comic doing a run, Chris Ramsey was absolutely brilliant and everyone I recommended him too agreed, definitely one for the next few years. I really enjoy Miles Jupp as well although his well spoken accent 'upper class' jokes begin to get a little repetitive after a while.

Kevin Bridges is really good but his major let down is his improvisational stuff which is pretty dire, not a patch on Frankie Boyle.

I've seen David O'Doherty the last few years and he really is a genius, I could listen to his material and songs all day. Likewise to Phil Kay, he is a must see if you've not seen him before. Uniquely irreverently brilliant.

I really dislike Lee Evans too. Contorting your face and body while saying something doesn't make it funny as far as I am concerned.

matty_f
08-12-2010, 12:22 PM
I forget the guy's name, but there's a wee fella that oes on Mock The Week, usually wears a Hawaiin shirt and has crap hair - he's brilliant. Just loads of one-liners but hilarious.

Speedy
08-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Couldn't agree more - running about, sweating like a pig and squawking in a high-pitched voice about pish is not my idea of funny.

Best I've seen live would have to be Jimmy Carr, though Chris Rock or Billy Connolly would have to be my favourites of all time.

:agree:

Agreed, I can't stand Lee Evans. I also really don't like Al Murray. He just shouts a lot, mainly about being British.

Danderhall Hibs
08-12-2010, 01:06 PM
I forget the guy's name, but there's a wee fella that oes on Mock The Week, usually wears a Hawaiin shirt and has crap hair - he's brilliant. Just loads of one-liners but hilarious.

Milton Jones? I think he's ok, not briliant though. I think he was originally the Mock The Week warm-up guy.

Ritchie
08-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Milton Jones? I think he's ok, not briliant though. I think he was originally the Mock The Week warm-up guy.

http://www.comedybunker.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/milton_jones1.jpg

he's quite funny.... comes out with ridiculousy random things which tickle me on occassion.

Ritchie
08-12-2010, 04:09 PM
BEST OPENING LINE EVER!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBudGOfNnac

:faf::faf::faf::faf:

DH1875
08-12-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm likeing Reginald d Hunter at the moment and Chris Rock's earlier stuff is funny as ****.

Funiest I've seen live is Nina Conti and her monkey:monkey:, brilliant absolutely brilliant:monkey1:.

This went out on the BBC so hope it's OK for on here. (Warning some strong language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77QEaXPv5xQ&feature=related

Ritchie
08-12-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm likeing Reginald d Hunter at the moment and Chris Rock's earlier stuff is funny as ****.

Funiest I've seen live is Nina Conti and her monkey:monkey:, brilliant absolutely brilliant:monkey1:.

This went out on the BBC so hope it's OK for on here. (Warning some strong language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77QEaXPv5xQ&feature=related

Hahahahaha!!

That's the first time is seen that... Class :top marks

She is pretty tidy too, she could beat my monkey....:greengrin

Jim44
08-12-2010, 05:53 PM
He possibly doesn't fall into the pure stand-up category, but Bill Bailley of NMTB fame has a terrific and very clever comedian/musician show.

degenerated
08-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Have to say I'm not a fan of jim jefferies, I think he's another one that uses shock tactics to make up for a fundamental lack of intelligence to his routine. Not saying he doesn't have his moments but I don't particularly like his stuff.
one of my favourites at the moment is shaun locke, he is brilliant.

i would agree with that about Frankie Boyle, although i do find him funny, but Jim Jeffries is a lot more than just the shock tactics :agree:

Anyway, who am i to argue having stated that possibly the most offensive of the lot - Jerry Sadowitz is my favourite :greengrin

matty_f
08-12-2010, 10:57 PM
i would agree with that about Frankie Boyle, although i do find him funny, but Jim Jeffries is a lot more than just the shock tactics :agree:

Anyway, who am i to argue having stated that possibly the most offensive of the lot - Jerry Sadowitz is my favourite :greengrin

Sadowitz does it much better though.:agree: I mind he had a show on Channel 4 (IIRC) years back that was just brilliant.

degenerated
09-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Sadowitz does it much better though.:agree: I mind he had a show on Channel 4 (IIRC) years back that was just brilliant.

the pall bearers review? or the people v jerry sadowitz? both were really good iirc

although he has been banned from tv since :greengrin

easty
09-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Best I've seen is probably Ross Noble.

Saw Frankie Boyle, Kevin Bridges and Jim Jeffries this year. Jeffries and Boyle were better than Bridges in my opinion.

I went to see Simon Amstell a couple of years ago and he was really good.

DH1875
10-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Hahahahaha!!

That's the first time is seen that... Class :top marks

She is pretty tidy too, she could beat my monkey....:greengrin

Rem that clip was shown on BBC so If you like that check out some of her other stuff that's to risky for them on youtube.

Alec Splode
10-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Currently Kevin Bridges stands out.
Everyone worships Billy Connolly who, in the words of Jimmy Carr:- ".. practically invented what we do" !

The best I've seen have been either BC (early 80's) or
Ben Elton who's also a fantastic stand up, when he gets off the political stuff.
Craig Ferguson was also pretty good (just after his Bing Hitler stint).
Remember a relatively unknown Harry Enfield in the Assembly Room audience in '82 crying at some of Ferguson's meanderings.

stoneyburn hibs
10-12-2010, 07:28 PM
boyle and bridges are very good, but can someone tell me is there any good comedians from the east at the minute, i dont know of any?

Removed
10-12-2010, 08:40 PM
boyle and bridges are very good, but can someone tell me is there any good comedians from the east at the minute, i dont know of any?

Aye, from Nitten :greengrin

Greentinted
11-12-2010, 01:32 PM

Scott Glynn (http://www.ukscreen.com/cast/rosshigh) is excellent but perhaps a tad too visceral for some.

Sir David Gray
14-12-2010, 03:51 PM
There's not that many stand-ups that I've seen that I can honestly say had me in stitches.

I quite like Lee Evans and Peter Kay and the few times that I've seen Kevin Bridges on TV, I think he's quite good as well but other than that, I just don't find any of them that funny.

A lot of them just seem to be crude and overly offensive to me and I don't think it's in a humorous way. I certainly can't stand Frankie Boyle.

Far be it for me to ever come to the defence of Jordan/Katie Price, because I don't really have any time for her either, but Boyle's "joke" about her disabled son during his show on Channel 4 the other night was absolutely disgusting and completely unacceptable.

I agree completely with what I read someone else say the other day, which is that telling such a joke during one of his tours is entirely different to what he actually did do which was say it on national TV and shame on Channel 4 for allowing that part of his show to be broadcast.

I don't think it's good enough to say "Oh but everyone knows what Frankie's like and a warning was put out before the programme started". That's fine if all we're talking about is bad language but making a fool of a young disabled boy who has no way of replying to the attack is just vile and beneath contempt.

.Sean.
14-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Scott Glynn (http://www.ukscreen.com/cast/rosshigh) is excellent but perhaps a tad too visceral for some.
He's excellent :agree: I saw him at the Haddy Ath speakers night, i'd definately see him again.

John Gahagan, ex-Motherwell, is very good too. As is Joe Camay.

easty
14-12-2010, 06:34 PM
There's not that many stand-ups that I've seen that I can honestly say had me in stitches.

I quite like Lee Evans and Peter Kay and the few times that I've seen Kevin Bridges on TV, I think he's quite good as well but other than that, I just don't find any of them that funny.

A lot of them just seem to be crude and overly offensive to me and I don't think it's in a humorous way. I certainly can't stand Frankie Boyle.

Far be it for me to ever come to the defence of Jordan/Katie Price, because I don't really have any time for her either, but Boyle's "joke" about her disabled son during his show on Channel 4 the other night was absolutely disgusting and completely unacceptable.

I agree completely with what I read someone else say the other day, which is that telling such a joke during one of his tours is entirely different to what he actually did do which was say it on national TV and shame on Channel 4 for allowing that part of his show to be broadcast.

I don't think it's good enough to say "Oh but everyone knows what Frankie's like and a warning was put out before the programme started". That's fine if all we're talking about is bad language but making a fool of a young disabled boy who has no way of replying to the attack is just vile and beneath contempt.

I'd say you are over-sensitive.

Frankie Boyle is a comedian. The show is a comedy show.

He makes (or for some people I suppose the correct words would be 'attempts to make') people laugh for a living.

He didn't, as far as I know, leave the studio, jump in a taxi and head straight to Jordans home to grab her child and spit in his face. What he did do though was make fun of someone on a comedy TV show, how many comedians take the mick out of people? Fat people...fine. Gingers.....fine. Look like a paedo......that's also fine. Disabled boy....noooooooo he'll be upset!

If the morality police or the politically correct brigade have to now be consulted before making jokes then the world is going to end up a much sadder place.

.Sean.
14-12-2010, 08:07 PM

He makes (or for some people I suppose the correct words would be 'attempts to make') people laugh for a living.

He didn't, as far as I know, leave the studio, jump in a taxi and head straight to Jordans home to grab her child and spit in his face. What he did do though was make fun of someone on a comedy TV show, how many comedians take the mick out of people? Fat people...fine. Gingers.....fine. Look like a paedo......that's also fine. Disabled boy....noooooooo he'll be upset!

If the morality police or the politically correct brigade have to now be consulted before making jokes then the world is going to end up a much sadder place.

hibee_girl
14-12-2010, 08:12 PM

Disabled or not he shouldn't be making comments that ANY child would sexually assault their mother.

It doesn't matter that it was Jordan's son he was talking about, to say that about any one's child is out of order.

marinello59
14-12-2010, 08:22 PM

That's where your defence of him falls down. It just wasn't funny. That's nothing to do with being PC at all. It was more like watching the drunk guy at a party of who is making a total erse of himself whilst offending everybody in the room. I was a fan of Boyles, he used to be a funny guy. On his new show he comes across as a boring, unfunny bully.

easty
14-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Disabled or not he shouldn't be making comments that ANY child would sexually assault their mother.

It doesn't matter that it was Jordan's son he was talking about, to say that about any one's child is out of order.

Why not? That's a serious question, I'd genuinely like to have an actual reason why that's out of bounds for comedy.

hibee_girl
14-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Why not? That's a serious question, I'd genuinely like to have an actual reason why that's out of bounds for comedy.

Because he's talking about an innocent child, a child who can't defend himself against such comments. No child deserves to be spoken about in such a manner.

Maybe it's because I'm a Mum and I know how I would feel if someone said that about my son.

easty
14-12-2010, 08:28 PM
That's where your defence of him falls down. It just wasn't funny. That's nothing to do with being PC at all. It was more like watching the drunk guy at a party of who is making a total erse of himself whilst offending everybody in the room. I was a fan of Boyles, he used to be a funny guy. On his new show he comes across as a boring, unfunny bully.

Whether you found it funny or not is irrelevant though. The point in question is 'should someone be making that joke or those kind of jokes'.

I say yes. I say that for a comedian there are no boundaries. It's not story hour. Comedians most often shouldn't be taken litterally.

If a comedian makes jokes that people don't think are funny then he'll not be a comedian for much longer. (Andy Parsons is the exception to that rule...)

bingo70
14-12-2010, 08:29 PM

:agree: agreed, imo the more shocking the joke the better, i tend to find laughing at things is the best way to deal with them.

Not really a big fan of stand up shows, can't really be ersed with people standing up on stage trying to be funny, prefer dryer senses of humour and the thought if seeing a bad show puts me off completely as i reckon it'd be so cringeworthy i couldn't watch it.

Of the dvd's i've seen the funniest would probably be Richard Pryor or Bill Hicks, absolutely brilliant.

The worst would probably be Russel Brand or that pub landlord guy, they say things that just aren't funny but try to make it funny by talking weird or shouting, just dinnae get it.

marinello59
14-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Whether you found it funny or not is irrelevant though. The point in question is 'should someone be making that joke or those kind of jokes'.

I say yes. I say that for a comedian there are no boundaries. It's not story hour. Comedians most often shouldn't be taken litterally.

If a comedian makes jokes that people don't think are funny then he'll not be a comedian for much longer. (Andy Parsons is the exception to that rule...)

Why not? Don't we all work within certain moral boundaries. Why should comedians be any different? For me attacking a specific child on national television can not be justified.

easty
14-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Because he's talking about an innocent child, a child who can't defend himself against such comments. No child deserves to be spoken about in such a manner.

Maybe it's because I'm a Mum and I know how I would feel if someone said that about my son.

It was a joke. A joke that I'd argue the young lad quite possibly wouldnt have ever even heard about had his mum not decided to go to the press about it.

Nevertheless, I repeat, it was just a joke.

hibee_girl
14-12-2010, 08:41 PM
It was a joke. A joke that I'd argue the young lad quite possibly wouldnt have ever even heard about had his mum not decided to go to the press about it.

Nevertheless, I repeat, it was just a joke.

Depends on what you call a joke. There's nothing remotely funny about it imo.

easty
14-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Depends on what you call a joke. There's nothing remotely funny about it imo.

It's Frankie Boyle's comedy show, so the material he uses are all jokes in his act/show. Whether they are funny is a matter of personal opinion for those who hear or read it.

Though, whether you think it is or it's not funny doesn't take away from the fact that it was included as part of his act as a joke.

easty
14-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Why not? Don't we all work within certain moral boundaries. Why should comedians be any different? For me attacking a specific child on national television can not be justified.

Well, can you tell me where the line is then? What is the absolute limit of what a comedian can make a joke about, and what's just over the limit?

I don't think there is an answer to that, and that's why I'd suggest there are no boundaries for comedians. And personally, I'm glad about that.

marinello59
14-12-2010, 09:03 PM
]Well, can you tell me where the line is then?[/B] What is the absolute limit of what a comedian can make a joke about, and what's just over the limit?

I don't think there is an answer to that, and that's why I'd suggest there are no boundaries for comedians. And personally, I'm glad about that.

No I can't, it comes down to personal judgement and many comedians do make that judgement. Don't you have your own moral boundaries you would not cross?

matty_f
14-12-2010, 09:04 PM
to say that a comedian has no boundaries is nonsense. we have come a long way since people laughed at disabled people, or at least we should have.
To go on television and make a joke out of someone's disabled child is revolting, imho. There should rightly be subjects that are out of bounds for comedians. Do disabled people need to become figures of fun for the rest of it? It's ok, because jordan's son probably wouldn't haves heard it, so essentially we can laugh at disabled people so long as we do it behind their backs?
You can go too far with jokes. Without someone reigning him in, boyle has alienated all but those who are, imho, too stupid to work out what is socially and morally acceptable.
I he started making racist jokes he'd be off the tv, imho his attempts at humour with some of his recent jokes should be treated similarly.

easty
14-12-2010, 09:21 PM
to say that a comedian has no boundaries is nonsense. we have come a long way since people laughed at disabled people, or at least we should have.
To go on television and make a joke out of someone's disabled child is revolting, imho. There should rightly be subjects that are out of bounds for comedians. Do disabled people need to become figures of fun for the rest of it? It's ok, because jordan's son probably wouldn't haves heard it, so essentially we can laugh at disabled people so long as we do it behind their backs?
You can go too far with jokes. Without someone reigning him in, boyle has alienated all but those who are, imho, too stupid to work out what is socially and morally acceptable.
I he started making racist jokes he'd be off the tv, imho his attempts at humour with some of his recent jokes should be treated similarly.

Do you think it's ok to laugh at fatties or gingers? Maybe personally you don't, but I'd argue that there would be no outcry if his jokes were directed at only fatties and gingers. If that's fair game, then why are disabled people untouchable? Are they more sensitive? They might get upset?

If he was making racist jokes I expect he would be off of tv, which is odd to me. If what he's doing is clearly a joke (which the Harvey thing clearly was) and not said to incite any kind of hatred then I don't think it should be out of bounds. I don't expect that'll ever happen though. Society is too touchy and far too quick to take offence and see the worst in everything. Black comedians make jokes that would be regarded as racist if they were said by white comedians, but then people find them funny.

matty_f
14-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Do you think it's ok to laugh at fatties or gingers? Maybe personally you don't, but I'd argue that there would be no outcry if his jokes were directed at only fatties and gingers. If that's fair game, then why are disabled people untouchable? Are they more sensitive? They might get upset?

If he was making racist jokes I expect he would be off of tv, which is odd to me. If what he's doing is clearly a joke (which the Harvey thing clearly was) and not said to incite any kind of hatred then I don't think it should be out of bounds. I don't expect that'll ever happen though. Society is too touchy and far too quick to take offence and see the worst in everything. Black comedians make jokes that would be regarded as racist if they were said by white comedians, but then people find them funny.

You can't compare fat or ginger jokes with laughing at disabled people, it's completely different.

It's not ok if it's clearly a joke, absolutely not. I'm not easily offended and I consider myself to have a good sense of humour, however there are subjects that should fundamentally not be used to laugh at.

There isn't anything funny about a disabled child. I don't care how someone wants to present the 'joke' - it's just not funny.

Not only that, but resorting to a shock joke like that shows nothing more than a complete lack of imagination from Frankie Boyle.

If you want to see comedians take a potentially distasteful subject andT create humour around it in a way that does push boundaries, you should look up Brasseye.

Hiber-nation
15-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Watched a bit of Frankie Boyle's show last night. Couldn't quite believe how awful it was. It was as if the audience were scared of him, that they had to laugh for fear of him smacking them in the mouth. He's run out of material obviously and going for shock tactics masquerading as "challenging" humour. That's the really funny bit, that anyone could think this as "challenging". Other than Channel 4 executives maybe.

blackpoolhibs
15-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Watched a bit of Frankie Boyle's show last night. Couldn't quite believe how awful it was. It was as if the audience were scared of him, that they had to laugh for fear of him smacking them in the mouth. He's run out of material obviously and going for shock tactics masquerading as "challenging" humour. That's the really funny bit, that anyone could think this as "challenging". Other than Channel 4 executives maybe.

I thought Boyle was a funny man, his comedy was my type of comedy. Although his tramadol nights is the biggest load of tripe i have seen on tv. And as you say, the crowd look petrified of him, just in case he picks on them. I cant see the show getting a 2nd series, its not remotely funny.

Pretty Boy
16-12-2010, 12:35 PM
I think there is a huge difference between tackling a 'taboo' subject as a comedian and merely saying offensive things in the hope that the shock value will gain a laugh.

I've never found Frankie Boyle particularly amusing. Not because i'm offended by what he does but because there is nothing particularly clever about his comedy. From what i have seen of his act- one live show, Mock the Week and the 1st episode of his new series- he has a very set routine,a couple of stupid voices he does when impersonating others and a few 'shocking' jokes thrown in to gain a cheap laugh or 2. As i say this isn't that i find him offensive just dull.

I would compare this to what someone like Chris Morris does. He also tackles pretty taboo subjects. However he is infinitely more clever about his comedy than someone like Boyle. He tends to focus on the 'moral outrage' that surrounds certain subjects and exploit that for comedic purposes as opposed to openly laughing at the 'victims' themselves. Hence why something like the Brass Eye paedophile special was exceptionally funny or more recently when he humanised suicide bombers in Four Lions and turned them from west hating fanatics into bumbling idiots from Yorkshire. This, IMO, takes far more skill and indeed far more courage than simply to get up on stage and take the piss out of someone because they are disabled, blind, deaf or whatever.

Bunter
16-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Firstly, I take it it's ok for FB to crack gags about Josef Fritzl now as nobody on here has criticised those (yet).
Secondly, how many people who are complaining actually saw the programme in question? (Not necessarily on here, but in general) Taking the rights and wrongs aside for a moment, this smacks of the Jonathon Ross/Russell Brand/Sachsgate incident where the vast majority of complainants were reacting to the media coverage POST broadcast. Because if, as many people are claiming, FB's show is unmitigated rubbish and he is not funny, why are there so many quoting chapter & verse from his show?

Back on topic, Jason Cook and Greg Davies are must see comedians.

matty_f
17-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Firstly, I take it it's ok for FB to crack gags about Josef Fritzl now as nobody on here has criticised those (yet).
Secondly, how many people who are complaining actually saw the programme in question? (Not necessarily on here, but in general) Taking the rights and wrongs aside for a moment, this smacks of the Jonathon Ross/Russell Brand/Sachsgate incident where the vast majority of complainants were reacting to the media coverage POST broadcast. Because if, as many people are claiming, FB's show is unmitigated rubbish and he is not funny, why are there so many quoting chapter & verse from his show?

Back on topic, Jason Cook and Greg Davies are must see comedians.

I saw it.

Speedy
17-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Not a stand up but I really like Tim Minchin.

Caution - contains the odd sweary word

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bEGLbCNRqw

matty_f
17-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Not a stand up but I really like Tim Minchin.

Caution - contains the odd sweary word

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bEGLbCNRqw

:agree: He's very good.

dHFCe
18-12-2010, 03:33 PM
UK comics I like are Boyle, Bridges. I enjoy most of Ricky Gervais, Ross Noble and Lee Evans stuff.

Also enjoy George Carlin, Louis CK, Stewart Francis and many more than don't come to mind right now