PDA

View Full Version : NHC FAO FalkirkHibee

Sylar
07-12-2010, 04:42 PM
http://af.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idAFJOE6B603I20101207

This is an outrage, thus further highlighting the corruption at the upper echelons of FIFA - I think you should start a petition to demand the immediate resignation of the executive committee without condition!

Imagine naming 3 candidates for the Ballon d'Or and not ONE of them being from the greatest club in the world! It's a conspiracy - not to mention 3 Spanish managers making the Coach of the Year nominees - scandalous! :wink: :greengrin

(please take this in its intended tone :greengrin)

Sir David Gray
07-12-2010, 04:57 PM
An e-mail is on its way. :wink:

To be fair, I did accept in other threads last week that Barcelona is currently the best club side in the world and Xavi, Iniesta and Messi are three of the best players in the world.

Manchester Utd is the biggest club side in the world, there is a slight difference. :greengrin

I'm not concerned about the coach of the year award having three Spanish nominees either. When they have won as much as Sir Fergie then they can claim to have made it.

HibbyAndy
07-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Samir Nasri is the best player in the English premiership

FACT :greengrin

Pretty Boy
07-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Hang on.. How are you quantifying the "Biggest club side in the world"?

My thoughts exactly.

If it's worked out financially it's Real Madrid, success wise it's Real Madrid, fan base wise it's probably Real Madrid.

But i'm biased so i say the biggest club in the world is FC Barcelona.

Sir David Gray
07-12-2010, 11:37 PM
As far as English teams are rated to judge which the most successful team in England is they do something like give various points for various leagues, cups, European exploits,league positions.... And currently Liverpool are well ahead of all the rest :agree:

"Currently" Liverpool's not even close to being in the running for winning the "biggest club" award.

In the last 20 years (since 1990), Liverpool's won 3 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, 1 UEFA Cup and 1 Champions League.

I don't suppose I need to tell you that Liverpool haven't been champions of England since 1990. :wink: In fact, since the Premier League was established in 1992, only once has Liverpool finished above Manchester United.

If you compare that to Man Utd in the same period, they have won 11 league titles, 4 FA Cups, 4 League Cups and 2 Champions Leagues.

Man Utd have, therefore, outdone Liverpool in every single major competition over the last 20 years, with the exception of the UEFA Cup. The only reason for that, of course, is that Man Utd are hardly ever in the UEFA Cup, or else they would probably have won that more often than Liverpool as well. :wink:

The days where Liverpool can call themselves a truly big club on a global scale are well behind them.

I believe United are the world's biggest global brand and although Real Madrid and Barcelona are up there, I don't think they quite have the same appeal throughout the world.

Hibs90
08-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Samir Nasri is the best player in the English premiership

FACT :greengrin

The man is total genius :agree:

Keith_M
08-12-2010, 10:47 AM
"Currently" Liverpool's not even close to being in the running for winning the "biggest club" award.

In the last 20 years (since 1990), Liverpool's won 3 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, 1 UEFA Cup and 1 Champions League.

I don't suppose I need to tell you that Liverpool haven't been champions of England since 1990. :wink: In fact, since the Premier League was established in 1992, only once has Liverpool finished above Manchester United.

If you compare that to Man Utd in the same period, they have won 11 league titles, 4 FA Cups, 4 League Cups and 2 Champions Leagues.

Man Utd have, therefore, outdone Liverpool in every single major competition over the last 20 years, with the exception of the UEFA Cup. The only reason for that, of course, is that Man Utd are hardly ever in the UEFA Cup, or else they would probably have won that more often than Liverpool as well. :wink:

The days where Liverpool can call themselves a truly big club on a global scale are well behind them.

I believe United are the world's biggest global brand and although Real Madrid and Barcelona are up there, I don't think they quite have the same appeal throughout the world.

Yes, and neither of them have EVER won the Tennents Sixes, FACT!

:greengrin

GordonHFC
08-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Surely you are all wrong. Our pink pansy neighbours from across the city are the biggest club in the world.

I met someone in Sheffield who had heard of them so how many clubs have that global interest ?.

I also saw 3 people in their shop in the St James Centre at the same time.

How many other clubs can correctly predict winning the Champions League 5 years before it happens.

:agree:

Joe Baker II
08-12-2010, 03:01 PM
"Currently" I believe United are the world's biggest global brand and although Real Madrid and Barcelona are up there, I don't think they quite have the same appeal throughout the world.

Sums up everything wrong with football that Scottish football fans are discussing who has "the biggest global brand"!

marinello59
08-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Sums up everything wrong with football that Scottish football fans are discussing who has "the biggest global brand"!

I agree with you.:confused:

magpie1892
08-12-2010, 05:23 PM

You don't get out (of the UK) much?

Not a fan of the city or the club, but...

behave.

Haymaker
08-12-2010, 05:46 PM

A few years ago, in response to angry Utd fans at the removal of the letters F.C from the club badge, Martin Edwards said "We are no longer just a football club."

Madrid top them for financial imput and possibly Barcelona (and there are concerns about the financial imput for both clubs, madrid in particular) while Utd are enourmous on purely their own branding. IIRC Uniteds biggest superstore is in Singapore? And I do believe they are the biggest credit card "company" in South Korea/South east asia according to reports.

They are, in my eyes, the biggest club in the world.

Woody1985
08-12-2010, 05:50 PM
I believe that madrid only have more income because they negotiate their own tv rights. Man u don't but if they did they could generate more.

Could be wrong though.

Haymaker
08-12-2010, 05:58 PM
I believe that madrid only have more income because they negotiate their own tv rights. Man u don't but if they did they could generate more.

Could be wrong though.

The new overseas rights would almost be exclusively to MU and Liverpool/Arsenal if they could negotiate their own, but they have to share with the rest, which to be honest is better.

Hibee Daz
08-12-2010, 06:42 PM

Are you only going back 20 years to hide the absolute FACT that Liverpool are the most successful club in English football history?:wink:
OR
Are trophy wins that occurred more than 20 years ago no longer valid or something?:wink:

Pretty Boy
08-12-2010, 08:26 PM

A few years ago, in response to angry Utd fans at the removal of the letters F.C from the club badge, Martin Edwards said "We are no longer just a football club."

Madrid top them for financial imput and possibly Barcelona (and there are concerns about the financial imput for both clubs, madrid in particular) while Utd are enourmous on purely their own branding. IIRC Uniteds biggest superstore is in Singapore? And I do believe they are the biggest credit card "company" in South Korea/South east asia according to reports.

Could it not be argued that it's the aggressive marketing of the Premier League as a whole in South East Asia as opposed to the United 'brand' that makes them so successful in that part of the world. There was 20 000 people turning out to watch Hull and Bolton in pre season friendlies FFS! I would suggest that it is to Uniteds and to a lesser extent Arsenal and Chelseas benefit that they have happened to be the most consistently successful clubs at a time when the far east market has been exploited by the Premier League.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the 'celebrity culture' in that part of the world, especially Japan, is even more intense than it is here. Minor pop acts and actors can expect to be followed by hundreds and even thousands of fans all the time. Man Utd were exceptionally lucky that they had a 'marketable asset' in David Beckham who became a superstar in the far east, Real Madrid reported an incredible surge in shirt orders from Japan when they signed Beckham. United then replaceed him with the equally marketable Ronaldo.

I don't doubt that United probably are the biggest 'brand' in football but this is down to a whole host of factors, most completely unrelated to football. United may be huge on purely their own branding but the same can most certainly be said of Real Madrid and Barcelona, the South Americas have huge support for each of these clubs and they also have huge fan bases throughout Asia, Africa and Europe.

Haymaker
09-12-2010, 12:11 AM
I would say it was more down to the aggressive marketing of MU first, they worked hard on it, rather than the PL at the beginning, they caught onto something and exploited it, the PL kept up and it is one package now. IIRC Sir Alex led the charge for the PL and for MU to be bigger? I was quite young at the time.

I disagree that they sold Beckham and replaced him with another "celebrity" in Ronaldo. Beckham is THE most marketable person on earth, when he left Utd he was, when he left RM he was, he still is. They sold him and bought a kid who had some talent. Yes he turned into the best player in the world but they signed him at 18? He wasnt a known name, or face until a few seasons onwards. There is no way you could argue they signed him on "celebrity" status.

It is also well worth noting that MUFC have paid every penny, on or before time, of the interest and repayment loans and posted profit, something Liverpool have failed to do.

Barcelona took a £125m loan to pay players wages for the month of August IIRC.

MUFC are huge. Their income is huge. They are the biggest club in the world.

Green_one
09-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Are you only going back 20 years to hide the absolute FACT that Liverpool are the most successful club in English football history?:wink:
OR
Are trophy wins that occurred more than 20 years ago no longer valid or something?:wink:

He did say and emphasis CURRENTLY which makes 20 years a valid period. Trophy wise Liverpool have not lived up to former glories for some time. Fan base, revenue, ground size, attendances etc Man United are well ahead. The competition in England comes more from Chelsea (trophies) and Man City in terms of money being thrown about but its Real Madrid that are the only comparitor size wise. Barca are growing but debt could change the list over time, as all big clubs, with the possible exception of Arsenal, seem to be run by men with the financial control of a child in a sweet shop.

khib70
09-12-2010, 11:27 AM

:bitchy:They're not even the biggest club in Manchester:devil:

Dashing Bob S
09-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Surely you are all wrong. Our pink pansy neighbours from across the city are the biggest club in the world.

I met someone in Sheffield who had heard of them so how many clubs have that global interest ?.

I also saw 3 people in their shop in the St James Centre at the same time.

How many other clubs can correctly predict winning the Champions League 5 years before it happens.

If it's taken on the criteria of 'emerging victorious in global conflict', there could only be one winner.

HH81
09-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Why does any Hibs fan care about Manchester United been the biggest global brand anyway, leave the cockney clowns to it. :confused:

marinello59
09-12-2010, 07:26 PM
If it's taken on the criteria of 'emerging victorious in global conflict', there could only be one winner.
Or being total fuds.