PDA

View Full Version : Snow, The Nanny State and Namby Pamby Fans

Dashing Bob S
04-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Was down at the old chaps last night, and in between listening with infinite patience to that poster boy for euthinasia's Daily Mailesque tirades for an hour, his rant finally struck something of a chord when he waffled on about 40,000 trudging through snow and ice, drunk beyond reason, lurching and sliding to ER or Tyney for the derby, hurling bottles and cans at each en route, for the privileged of standing, crammed like sardines, onto a crumbling death trap of a terracing.

Have we as a society and as fans, become too damn soft?

Tricla
04-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Was down at the old chaps last night, and in between listening with infinite patience to that poster boy for euthinasia's Daily Mailesque tirades for an hour, his rant finally struck something of a chord when he waffled on about 40,000 trudging through snow and ice, drunk beyond reason, lurching and sliding to ER or Tyney for the derby, hurling bottles and cans at each en route, for the privileged of standing, crammed like sardines, onto a crumbling death trap of a terracing.

Aye.

But the Cooncil and the Polis etc have become especially soft.

If the game had been on today we'd have been there in numbers even if those numbers might have been slightly diminished.

I suppose it's a sign of the politically correct, health and safety, cotton wool hell hole that we live in now.

In saying that, how the fluck did the Alloa game go ahead if a game in our Capital City can't!!??

It's not as if todays opponents were travelling from a remote location either.

.Sean.
04-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Aye.

If the game had been on today we'd have been there in numbers even if those numbers might have been slightly diminished.

I suppose it's a sign of the politically correct, health and safety, cotton wool hell hole that we live in now.

In saying that, how the fluck did the Alloa game go ahead if a game in our Capital City can't!!??

Certainly is :agree:

And it's ****ing *****.

Sergey
04-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Probably down to modern-day footwear, Bob.

Cheap, synthetic soles on machine stitched (or glued) shoes are accidents waiting to happen in this weather.

I'm convinced that the majority of folks in A&E can be quantified to a poor or ill-advised choice of shoe.

Phil D. Rolls
04-12-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm all for letting the game go ahead regardless of the weather, if people do so at their own risk. By that I mean anyone injured can see to their own fractures and not burden the health service.

Besides, most of the the time there was snow in the old days, the pitch would have been unplayable. I'm afraid this is a dilemma of the modern age, caused by undersoil heating.

There are actually a lot less games cancelled due to weather than there used to be. That maybe explains why so many people are feeling hard done to (perhaps time to start thinking about a girlfriend/divorce/pet). I remember going a month without a match.

Maybe if there had been this molly coddling in the past, the likes of Ibrox, Bolton, Hillsborough and Bradford might not have happened. A wee reality check is needed from some, people have been killed at the football in the past, and that is a pitiful waste of life.

As an alternative, maybe it's time for us all to be investing in tackety boots, gaberdine coats and bunnets?

snooky
04-12-2010, 11:01 PM
The reason for all this H&S baloney is nothing to do with their concerns over your well-being, it's all because they don't want a lawsuit if you hurt yourself.

Alas, it's the American way ....sue, sue, sue, sue, sue etc.
"It's not civilization as we know it, Jim."

--------
04-12-2010, 11:11 PM

Aye, but Bob, IIRC the reason we trudged through snow sleet, wind and rain, over icy treacherous pavements, doing the old Cap'n Scott to get to ER in the old days was BECAUSE we were all usually drunk beyond reason.

And the only reason most of us stayed perpendicular for 90 minutes plus half-time was BECAUSE we were crammed in like sardines - we couldn't fall over if we'd tried.

At least, that's what the bits I can remember were like.... :drunk:

IWasThere2016
05-12-2010, 12:07 AM
The reason for all this H&S baloney is nothing to do with their concerns over your well-being, it's all because they don't want a lawsuit if you hurt yourself.

Alas, it's the American way ....sue, sue, sue, sue, sue etc.
"It's not civilization as we know it, Jim."

Most that is wrong with this country can be blamed on the lawyers, the Americans or the afore mentioned Polis and Cooncils (Politicians) :agree:

Carheenlea
05-12-2010, 12:26 AM
I know the tone of this thread is tongue-in-cheek, but the blanket cancellation of the full SPL card was too hasty in my opinion.

Instead of Saturday afternoon at Easter Road, where the under soil heating would have likely ensured a perfectly playable pitch, I had to endure the torture of Princes Street and The Christmas Market where thousands thronged the streets on pavements which had not seen much in the way of shovels, ploughs or salt. Trying to negotiate the corner round to St James` Centre you could have been mistaken into thinking the ice rink had been relocated to there. Should the City Centre have been declared a disaster zone and shut down till the streets were "safe"? Going by the SPL`s logic, yes.

The worrying thing is that a precedent has now been set, and blanket cancellations will be called for as soon as the weather does not look too great, and you can bet your boots that it will only be a matter of time before a game is postponed because it is too cold for the fans..

What`s so problematic about Pitch playable - Game On, Pitch unplayable - Game Off? We as fans can make decisions on whether we go or not. Had the weather been like what it was on Tuesday/Wednesday then fair enough, call it off. The forecast proved to be correct for cold but clear weather for weekend, with roads all open.

An extreme and over cautious decision.

Hibby D
05-12-2010, 01:20 AM

When you put it like that, aye :agree:

EH6 Hibby
05-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Only in Scotland could it be considered acceptable to expect primary school children to travel in these conditions to get to school but feel it necessary to cancel football matches.

Removed
05-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Only in Scotland could it be considered acceptable to expect primary school children to travel in these conditions to get to school but feel it necessary to cancel football matches.

:confused: but my kids have been off school as well

EH6 Hibby
05-12-2010, 09:08 AM
:confused: but my kids have been off school as well

My 6 year old son has been back at school since Wednesday, and his school is about 15 minutes walk from Easter Road. He's hardly done any work mind, but he's been at school.

Hibby D
05-12-2010, 09:28 AM
My 6 year old son has been back at school since Wednesday, and his school is about 15 minutes walk from Easter Road. He's hardly done any work mind, but he's been at school.

But your son and his pals don't go to the boozer for a couple of hours beforehand :greengrin

I hope? :cool2:

Hillsidehibby
05-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Aye.

Plastic Pitch?

Jack
05-12-2010, 10:42 AM
There's more people coming from further distances than there ever was. I think a lot of consideration has been given to them and the likelihood that there will be a bigger crowd midweek.

snooky
05-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Most that is wrong with this country can be blamed on the lawyers, the Americans or the afore mentioned Polis and Cooncils (Politicians) :agree:

The trouble is, we bring this about on ourselves by listening to these <spit> lawyers who tell you that you can get ££££££££££££££££££ for stubbing your toe on a flagstone.
Emm.... just look where your going, buddy and you won't stub your toe.

We've created a 'blame' society - just like the wonderful US of A. :grr:

aussie_hibee
05-12-2010, 11:01 AM

Aye, us polis should all just resign and let the public look after themselves. A survival of the fittest and vigilantes would make the world a much better place!

FWIW I think you'll find that if you speak to a copper, they want the PC mad world to go back to it's old ways. We are not the cause of a soft society but more the victims of it.

Removed
05-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Plastic Pitch?

Don't think that was what was actually meant. Most of the spl pitches were probably playable yesterday so the fact that Alloa have a 3g is relevant to the lower leagues. Only reason we never had a game is because they called of all spl games midweek. I think it was the right decision at the time. The guys who make it can't win, too early get slated, too late get slated. They don't have a crystal ball folks.

jdships
05-12-2010, 11:43 AM
I know the tone of this thread is tongue-in-cheek, but the blanket cancellation of the full SPL card was too hasty in my opinion.

Instead of Saturday afternoon at Easter Road, where the under soil heating would have likely ensured a perfectly playable pitch, I had to endure the torture of Princes Street and The Christmas Market where thousands thronged the streets on pavements which had not seen much in the way of shovels, ploughs or salt. Trying to negotiate the corner round to St James` Centre you could have been mistaken into thinking the ice rink had been relocated to there. Should the City Centre have been declared a disaster zone and shut down till the streets were "safe"? Going by the SPL`s logic, yes.

The worrying thing is that a precedent has now been set, and blanket cancellations will be called for as soon as the weather does not look too great, and you can bet your boots that it will only be a matter of time before a game is postponed because it is too cold for the fans..

What`s so problematic about Pitch playable - Game On, Pitch unplayable - Game Off? We as fans can make decisions on whether we go or not. Had the weather been like what it was on Tuesday/Wednesday then fair enough, call it off. The forecast proved to be correct for cold but clear weather for weekend, with roads all open.

An extreme and over cautious decision.

Totally agree with you
I had a chat with a Grade 2 Ref yesterday morning
He reckoned the SFA took this "opportunity" to cancel the games to try and diffuse any possible backlash against the referees after their "strike " :rolleyes:

Not beyond the bounds of comprehension I suppose :bitchy:

Lucky_Jim
05-12-2010, 11:45 AM
The lyrics from the Proclaimers' excellent song 'Everybody's A Victim' immediately sprang to mind when I read this thread:

"Everybody's a victim,
Seems we're going that way,
Everybody's a victim,
We're becoming like the USA..."

As with so many of the bespectacled Hibees' observations on life and society this one is spot on. The nanny state, health and safety obsessed, risk adverse society that we now live in is yet another gross import direct from the USA. It all started with nonsensical situations like lawyers successfully suing coffee shops for not warning customers that the contents of their coffee cups are hot....as the great Homer Simpson might say, doh! What were they expecting ffs?!

The balance between rights and responsibilities has swung massively out of kilter, to the point where nobody takes any personal responsibility for their lives or actions. Health and safety legislation was hugely important in the days of an industrialised nation, where many folk worked in dangerous factory environments with little or no legal protection against the fat cat owners who would happily put their health and wellbeing at risk in order to squeeze as much profit out of them as possible. Now we all sit in comfy offices where the biggest health risk is dropping the stapler on our foot, yet H&S legislation has never been more prominent.

In a day and age when people will happily sue the Cooncil when they slip on a patch of ice on the pavement it's no wonder the authorities take the sort of action the SPL did this weekend.

God, I sound like some sort of Torygraph reading reactionary....I promise you that's no the case though!

Jim

Phil D. Rolls
05-12-2010, 12:21 PM
The lyrics from the Proclaimers' excellent song 'Everybody's A Victim' immediately sprang to mind when I read this thread:

"Everybody's a victim,
Seems we're going that way,
Everybody's a victim,
We're becoming like the USA..."

As with so many of the bespectacled Hibees' observations on life and society this one is spot on. The nanny state, health and safety obsessed, risk adverse society that we now live in is yet another gross import direct from the USA. It all started with nonsensical situations like lawyers successfully suing coffee shops for not warning customers that the contents of their coffee cups are hot....as the great Homer Simpson might say, doh! What were they expecting ffs?!

The balance between rights and responsibilities has swung massively out of kilter, to the point where nobody takes any personal responsibility for their lives or actions. Health and safety legislation was hugely important in the days of an industrialised nation, where many folk worked in dangerous factory environments with little or no legal protection against the fat cat owners who would happily put their health and wellbeing at risk in order to squeeze as much profit out of them as possible. Now we all sit in comfy offices where the biggest health risk is dropping the stapler on our foot, yet H&S legislation has never been more prominent.

In a day and age when people will happily sue the Cooncil when they slip on a patch of ice on the pavement it's no wonder the authorities take the sort of action the SPL did this weekend.

God, I sound like some sort of Torygraph reading reactionary....I promise you that's no the case though!

Jim

Except that we don't, and for those who still work in manual jobs and dangerous environment, H&S legislation is a great protection against mad employers.

I agree there are too many lawyers though.

The_Todd
05-12-2010, 12:49 PM
A DBS thread never fails to hit the spot. He throws in the grenade and stands back to watch the carnage.

Sylar
05-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Is DBS a US Marine? :offski:

ginger_rice
05-12-2010, 02:05 PM

Jim

good post Jim especially like the point regarding rights and responsibilities, far too many people can quote "their rights" but refuse to accept that their actions have a consequence for themselves and others.

With regard to H&S legislation I used to believe every bad thing I heard and read about the Health and Safety executive until I became a trained H&S rep and started to work with H&S officers, often it's not H&S to blame but some over zealous jobsworth.

This is always worth a look. http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/index.htm

EuanH78
05-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Totally agree with you
He reckoned the SFA took this "opportunity" to cancel the games to try and diffuse any possible backlash against the referees after their "strike " :rolleyes:

Thats what I was thinking as well. The speed and decisiveness of the call off seemed quite uncharacteristic of the SFA and I instantly started looking for the hidden agenda

alfie
05-12-2010, 02:33 PM
The problem is indeed that we have a 'blame' society. What we need is a 'responsibility' society.

People should be responsible for their own actions e.g. stubbing their toe on a flagstone, and let H&S rules maintain a safe environment at work where they (H&S) belong. It's time for people to behave like adults. For instance they should wear decent footwear in bad weather. That way they wont fall on their erse anyway.

Viva la revolucion, that's what I say! :soapbox:

jdships
05-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Thats what I was thinking as well. The speed and decisiveness of the call off seemed quite uncharacteristic of the SFA and I instantly started looking for the hidden agenda

Interestingly if you notice there has been very little complaint from the clubs ( other than ICT and rheir problem is cash flow) which backs up your take on the speed of the SFA decision .
Were the clubs "put in the picture" and told to keep quiet ?

:rules::hmmm:

7Hero
05-12-2010, 03:08 PM
pretty pointless comparing the alloa game as only a few hundred probably went.

gets a bit different when thousands are going to the game, lack of parking, crap conditions on the pavements and edinburgh already is a joke to get around in the snow (parked cars still on the main road as opposed to side streets causing havic).

perfectly correct decision to postpone, the club would have less folk through the doors with these conditions so financially better for them to postpone it anyway..

Saorsa
05-12-2010, 03:13 PM
pretty pointless comparing the alloa game as only a few hundred probably went.

gets a bit different when thousands are going to the game, lack of parking, crap conditions on the pavements and edinburgh already is a joke to get around in the snow (parked cars still on the main road as opposed to side streets causing havic).

perfectly correct decision to postpone, the club would have less folk through the doors with these conditions so financially better for them to postpone it anyway..Do you think more will turn up on a cold midweek night for a 7:45 KO (when the game will probably now be played) than would have on the Saturday for a 3pm KO? I doubt it.

7Hero
05-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Do you think more will turn up on a cold midweek night for a 7:45 KO (when the game will probably now be played) than would have on the Saturday for a 3pm KO? I doubt it.

its a close call as right now folk are not going anywhere, or certainly have not been for the past week.

Twa Cairpets
05-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Totally agree with you

Except of course it was the SPL not the SFA that canclled the games, whch kind of screws that particular conspiracy theory.

Twa Cairpets
05-12-2010, 04:42 PM

There is a balance between a blanket, negative reaction to H&S and an understanding f what it is there to achieve. Having been in a position where if any of my staff were to suffer an injury the legal responsibility was mine, and it would be me that went to jail, it does focus the mind somewhat.

H&S is there, primarily, to stop employers doing stupid, incompetent, reckless or dangerous things. The fact it has been hijacked but the greedy and f eckless does
not mean it is not a good thing. I've worked in places (thankfully not when its been my responsibity) where people have been "de-gloved" - having the skin completely pulled off a finger because they got their fingertip caught between rollers due to inadequate guards on a machine - and its that image that sticks with me vividly when people say "Its health and safety gone mad"

Dunno what thats got to do with football mind...

jdships
05-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Except of course it was the SPL not the SFA that canclled the games, whch kind of screws that particular conspiracy theory.

Have you never heard of collusion ?
Referees are overseen by SFA who just happen to speak to SPL "suggesting" - the rest is in the eye of the beholder.!! ::greengrin
The guy did say "SFA"
Would you honestly trust either of them ?:bitchy::

Twa Cairpets
05-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Have you never heard of collusion ?
Referees are overseen by SFA who just happen to speak to SPL "suggesting" - the rest is in the eye of the beholder.!! ::greengrin
The guy did say "SFA"
Would you honestly trust either of them ?:bitchy::

I have heard of collusion, and I would trust the refs, certainly in this situation.

It's easier to believe the games were called off because of the worst early winter weather in 20-odd years than believing the SPL caused their own membership potential financial hardship to avoid a "backlash" against an action that was relatively widely supported by fans. Occams razor definitely applies.

johnrebus
05-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Aye.

Because in Alloa it is still 1962.........,

:rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
06-12-2010, 09:38 AM
good post Jim especially like the point regarding rights and responsibilities, far too many people can quote "their rights" but refuse to accept that their actions have a consequence for themselves and others.

With regard to H&S legislation I used to believe every bad thing I heard and read about the Health and Safety executive until I became a trained H&S rep and started to work with H&S officers, often it's not H&S to blame but some over zealous jobsworth.

This is always worth a look. http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/index.htm

:agree: I would say the same thing applies to the so called PC brigade. It's a case of knowing the rules without understanding them. Far too often decision making is driven by silly wee lassies (some are even female) taking the "what if" to the nth degree.

Unfortunately, you can't rely on the common sense approach either. Common sense tends to be the opinion of the person who shouts loudest.

Anybody who thinks people could have got to the game safely at the weekend is living on a different planet. The days of cloth capped working men in tackity boots trudging through the snow are long gone. Most fans drive to the game, many with kids in tow.

We would also be asking stewards and other ancillary staff to take a risk working in that weather. And suppose it had snowed on the day, what would be the chances that the visiting team couldnt make it, or even the ref?

If the match had been called off on the day, there would have been even more bleating. Sorry, but if you are that desperate to see your team, you really need to step back and have a look at your life.

Phil MaGlass
06-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Could Hibs not send out a disclaimer for the game, please be aware that the surrounding streets have a covering of ice and snow, the game is going ahead but the club will not be held responsible for the surrounding streets etc, you come to the game at your own risk?
But obviously worded better.

Keith_M
06-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Because in Alloa it is still 1962.........,

:rolleyes:

Bad example, all the games were off (http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=10175) in 1962 for months. :greengrin

johnrebus
06-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Bad example, all the games were off (http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=10175) in 1962 for months. :greengrin

Actually, it was 1963.

:na na:

:greengrin

Keith_M
06-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Could Hibs not send out a disclaimer for the game, please be aware that the surrounding streets have a covering of ice and snow, the game is going ahead but the club will not be held responsible for the surrounding streets etc, you come to the game at your own risk?

You mean something like.

:singing:
"Come and watch us,
if you think you're hard enough"
:singing:

:wink:

Alfred E Newman
07-12-2010, 08:28 PM
:agree: I would say the same thing applies to the so called PC brigade. It's a case of knowing the rules without understanding them. Far too often decision making is driven by silly wee lassies (some are even female) taking the "what if" to the nth degree.

Unfortunately, you can't rely on the common sense approach either. Common sense tends to be the opinion of the person who shouts loudest.

Anybody who thinks people could have got to the game safely at the weekend is living on a different planet. The days of cloth capped working men in tackity boots trudging through the snow are long gone. Most fans drive to the game, many with kids in tow.

We would also be asking stewards and other ancillary staff to take a risk working in that weather. And suppose it had snowed on the day, what would be the chances that the visiting team couldnt make it, or even the ref?

If the match had been called off on the day, there would have been even more bleating. Sorry, but if you are that desperate to see your team, you really need to step back and have a look at your life.

Of course, in the auld days we just got the orange ba` oot and got on with it. :greengrin

lapsedhibee
08-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Of course, in the auld days we just got the orange ba` oot and got on with it. :greengrin

Can't see the orange ba' in that picture, but do note proper metal stanchions. :thumbsup:

Was it H&S that ended them as well as winter fitba'? :dunno:

Phil D. Rolls
08-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Wonder how many people tripped on the ice going to this game.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=29657

(Note the Rovers' state of the art scoreboard. There are extra points for anyone who spots a young Gordon Brown reacting to the news that his bank is shut on a Saturday.)

Does anyone know if we won it that year?

NAE NOOKIE
08-12-2010, 10:30 AM
I blame the blame culture too and I will be taking legal action against those to blame for it.

Seriously though:

At the Hibs v Huns game last season ( Stokes got first goal ) by the time I had driven the frankly terrible road from Gala to Leith I had to park at The Tor pub and walk through that wee housing estate that comes out at the Loch Inn.

It must have taken about 15 minutes to do that 10 minute walk and the whole thing was a bloody death trap. I missed Stokes goal as well.

Summer fitba :agree:

Peevemor
08-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Can't see the orange ba' in that picture, but do note proper metal stanchions. :thumbsup:

Was it H&S that ended them as well as winter fitba'? :dunno:

No, it was Les Mottram.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Mottram

Dashing Bob S
08-12-2010, 02:53 PM

Just took that step back. The kids are fighting, the wife is complaining and the mother-in-law is heading here for an extended visit which will keep her within my four walls to well after Christmas.

Yes, I am that desperate to see my team: I'm on the precipice of psychological oblivion and its nowhere near the birthday of that fag-hag, hippy, charlatan daddy's-boy.

NAE NOOKIE
08-12-2010, 04:19 PM
[/B]

Just took that step back. The kids are fighting, the wife is complaining and the mother-in-law is heading here for an extended visit which will keep her within my four walls to well after Christmas.

Yes, I am that desperate to see my team: I'm on the precipice of psychological oblivion and its nowhere near the birthday of that fag-hag, hippy, charlatan daddy's-boy.

I usually find your input witty and insightful Mr S. Even if you dinnae believe, the last bit was beneath you.

There was a good thread on ( funnily enough ) the holy ground for your thoughts on those matters.

ScottB
08-12-2010, 05:43 PM

It's not as simple as that though is it!

Look at the mess of the transport system, it couldn't possibly handle thousands of people trekking across the country, there are no trains running North of Edinburgh, the road to Glasgow is a nightmare, the bus networks have been crippled etc. You'd cause chaos getting fans to go wandering around, or to other cities at the moment. Hell I doubt the teams themselves could travel effectively.

Dunno what it's like at ER and the surrounding streets, but I live next to Tynecastle, no gritters or snow ploughs have went near anything other than Gorgie and Slateford Roads, all the side streets have about 2ft of snow over them, the pavements are covered in thick sheet ice, there's nowhere any car could possibly park.

It's all well and good saying that anyone who wants to go watch a game should just accept responsibility for anything that might befall them, but it's not just their own safety they are putting into their hands in the current situation.

Phil D. Rolls
08-12-2010, 09:09 PM
[/B]

Sorry, I can see everything needs a sense of perspective. :agree:

lapsedhibee
09-12-2010, 09:11 AM
No, it was Les Mottram.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Mottram

"He became a professional referee when he left Scotland" :thumbsup: