PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thought

jdships
03-12-2010, 10:42 AM
This is taken from the website of a well known rugby club which for me is pertinent given recent "happenings"

"At this time when abuse of referees is regularly covering the back pages, it is timely to remind all supporters of their role, namely galvanising the efforts of our club on the field. Those that played the game should think back and remember the lift you felt when the supporters were cheering on the team or individauls - you grew taller played harder and the team benefited - and that is to be encouraged.

What is not acceptable is the harranging or abuse of the Referee. It may be clichied but, we can't have a game without them! As a Club we will not accept the vilification of someone who is, after all, helping to make sure we all enjoy our Saturday afternoon! Quite apart from being grossly unpleasant to be on the receiving end of catcalls it is unlikely to make matters better for the players or could even have a negative effect.

Let's get behind the team, recognise that the Referees are doing their best and make xxxxx a welcoming Club that Referees look forward to visiting!"

:thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
03-12-2010, 10:57 AM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/cgo/lowres/cgon351l.jpg

Arch Stanton
03-12-2010, 10:58 AM
It's surely a pity that "Who's the philanthropist in the black" doesn't scan so good.
:agree:

But I agree, there is no point in being abusive towards referees - even if bad decisions can be very irksome.

On a slightly different tack, I also think refs shouldn't have to run about acting severe and authoritarian to get their point across to players - just let them give their decisions in a calm and quiet way and have them accepted.

jdships
03-12-2010, 11:35 AM
It's surely a pity that "Who's the philanthropist in the black" doesn't scan so good.

But I agree, there is no point in being abusive towards referees - even if bad decisions can be very irksome.

On a slightly different tack, I also think refs shouldn't have to run about acting severe and authoritarian to get their point across to players - just let them give their decisions in a calm and quiet way and have them accepted.

That has always been a gripe of mine from 60 years ago !
As a 19yr old you had to accept being "talked down to" by referees - you were just a laddie remember ,
However it really upset the "seasoned pro's" and they often had a go at the ref over the pie and beans after the game .
Majority however were pretty fair to be honest
Remember "Tiny" Wharton speaking to me at half time " Just cause you've started shaving doesn'r mean your now a man and can go around kicking every body - OK " - I was 19 !!

:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
03-12-2010, 01:11 PM
[/B]

That has always been a gripe of mine from 60 years ago !
As a 19yr old you had to accept being "talked down to" by referees - you were just a laddie remember ,
However it really upset the "seasoned pro's" and they often had a go at the ref over the pie and beans after the game .
Majority however were pretty fair to be honest
Remember "Tiny" Wharton speaking to me at half time " Just cause you've started shaving doesn'r mean your now a man and can go around kicking every body - OK " - I was 19 !!

:greengrin

A 19 year old nowadays would be on the phone to their lawyer. :greengrin

Dinkydoo
03-12-2010, 01:16 PM

Agree :top marks

Like the ref on Saturday past (although there wasn't any big decisions to make), the players, fans and referee all shared a kind of mutual respect, which has never been present at any other SPL game I've ever attended.