PDA

View Full Version : Jambos v Perth Saints cup tie

thebakerboy
02-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Hearts are not opening the Wheatfield stand for this match because St Johnston do not wish to cut prices for match.This means that ST holders cannot book their normal seat for game and attendance is therefore limited , seems to me they are cutting off their nose to spite their face. Typical Jambo logic beats me!!!!!!!!!:confused::greengrin

Frazerbob
02-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Hearts are not opening the Wheatfield stand for this match because St Johnston do not wish to cut prices for match.This means that ST holders cannot book their normal seat for game and attendance is therefore limited , seems to me they are cutting off their nose to spite their face. Typical Jambo logic beats me!!!!!!!!!:confused::greengrin

I thought that they'd be moving the game to Murryfield due to their huge fan base and "special relationship" with the big cup!

Barney McGrew
02-12-2010, 08:47 PM
I don't remember them being quite so worried about the prices supporters had to pay when they fleeced us £33 to sit in the Roseburn Stand a few seasons ago.

:kettle:

Part/Time Supporter
02-12-2010, 08:58 PM
http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20101202/pricing-arrangements-for-st-johnstone-statement_2241384_2235685

Why should they charge reduced prices? It's a BIG cup tie between two SPL teams.

:confused:

NadeAteMyLunch!
02-12-2010, 09:08 PM
That will be St.Johnstone hated for ever more, like St.Mirren, or St.Liedown or whatever they STILL call them 24 yrs after they made an absolute Noel Hunt of things in Dundee :yawn::yawn::yawn:

CropleyWasGod
02-12-2010, 10:02 PM
That will be St.Johnstone hated for ever more, like St.Mirren, or St.Liedown or whatever they STILL call them 24 yrs after they made an absolute Noel Hunt of things in Dundee :yawn::yawn::yawn:

Dundee?:confused:

WindyMiller
02-12-2010, 10:08 PM

I've heard something big happened back in '86 in Dundee.

I think maybe Hertz won the Double? Or something.:dunno:

Diclonius
02-12-2010, 11:18 PM
They having a wee temper tantrum?

Classless as per usual.

Speedy
02-12-2010, 11:26 PM
"the first time in living memory" :greengrin

WTF are they all about? They're closing the stand to prevent them operating at a loss, it's embarrassing.

Toaods
02-12-2010, 11:31 PM
May be a bit of RUSSIAN :wink: Roulette with the Saintees board but I'm sure the SFA will be pleased to hear their fair share (1/3?) will be reduced.

poolman
03-12-2010, 12:11 AM
http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20101202/pricing-arrangements-for-st-johnstone-statement_2241384_2235685

Why should they charge reduced prices? It's a BIG cup tie between two SPL teams.

Yams and "Platinum Zone"

Canny think of a smilie for that one :confused:

Springbank
03-12-2010, 09:01 AM
400,000 reasons to be cheerful

Love stories like this - it does make the Big Team boast look a bit like the Tallest Dwarf

Springbank
03-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Meant to add, whoever released this article (Fedotovas) will do very well for himself in Team Romanov

He's clearly remembered Rule Number One of Team Romanov : It is ALWAYS someone else's fault

He's done well to pin this one on fellow SPL makeweights St Johnstone.
His reward awaits in Kaunas, no doubt.

Phil D. Rolls
03-12-2010, 10:16 AM

I've heard something big happened back in '86 in Dundee.

I think maybe Hertz won the Double? Or something.:dunno:

Can anybody throw some light on this subject, it just won't go away.

Twa Cairpets
03-12-2010, 10:30 AM
"the first time in living memory" :greengrin

WTF are they all about? They're closing the stand to prevent them operating at a loss, it's embarrassing.

Not only the first time in living memory, but the first time "a fellow SPL team has forced this rule". wow.

But hold on a minute. How old is the SPL? Twelve years?

So, its either the first time ever, or they have very short memories, or they're using unecessary hyperbole to cover the p!sh their spouting and work the massed 400,000 up into righteous fury.

I can see a very strongly worded open letter coming, I tell you.

poolman
03-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Can anybody throw some light on this subject, it just won't go away.

That reminds me

Did they ever get that lightbulb changed in the Wheatfield stand :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
03-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Not only the first time in living memory, but the first time "a fellow SPL team has forced this rule". wow.

So, its either the first time ever, or they have very short memories, or they're using unecessary hyperbole to cover the p!sh their spouting and work the massed 400,000 up into righteous fury.

I can see a very strongly worded open letter coming, I tell you.

It also ignores the fact that most times two SPL teams draw each other in the cup, both clubs will be happy to charge the normal full price.

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2010, 10:45 AM
So Hearts wanted to reduce prices, aren’t allowed to and have closed the Wheatfield?

Obviously St Johnstone want to get as much money as they can from the game but what do Hearts gain by closing one of the stands? Is it a saving on reduced security and other staff (turnstiles, pie counter lassies etc)?

Geo_1875
03-12-2010, 10:46 AM
They're just worried that everyone will find out how loyal the 400,000 are when they have to pay full price for a ticket.

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2010, 10:48 AM

I didn't read it like that - I thought they said another "Premier League team" - not just going back to when it was changed to the SPL.

If they do mean SPL it's definitely a use of words that the pro-Nish lobby would be happy with!

Twa Cairpets
03-12-2010, 11:03 AM
I didn't read it like that - I thought they said another "Premier League team" - not just going back to when it was changed to the SPL.

If they do mean SPL it's definitely a use of words that the pro-Nish lobby would be happy with!

"This is the first time in living memory that a fellow Clydesdale Bank Premier League Club has forced this rule"

As written above.

It's either badly written or a deliberate extra dig at St J.

Either way it classless.

(But at least they're not having a pop at refs...):greengrin

Woody1985
03-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Am I missing something here?

It looks to me like hearts are trying to do a good thing by reducing ticket prices for a game, something that Scottish football is continually slated for by fans, then they get it tight for showing a stance against the higher price by closing a stand. Regardless of their motive, wouldn't it be great if all clubs started to give the fans a break?

Keith_M
03-12-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm genuinely confused by what closing the stand has got to do with the pricing.

Could somebody possibly explain the reasoning behind it, because it escapes me.

:dunno:

Part/Time Supporter
03-12-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm genuinely confused by what closing the stand has got to do with the pricing.

Could somebody possibly explain the reasoning behind it, because it escapes me.

Hertz have more variable pricing than most other clubs in the league, with the middle of the Wheatfield ("platinum") being the most expensive.

Hibbyradge
03-12-2010, 12:51 PM
So Hearts wanted to reduce prices, aren’t allowed to and have closed the Wheatfield?

Obviously St Johnstone want to get as much money as they can from the game but what do Hearts gain by closing one of the stands? Is it a saving on reduced security and other staff (turnstiles, pie counter lassies etc)?

http://www.chizcartoons.com/images/large/mail-on-sunday/proverbs/dont-cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face.jpg

Keith_M
03-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Hertz have more variable pricing than most other clubs in the league, with the middle of the Wheatfield ("platinum") being the most expensive.

Cheers.

So, basically, Hearts are trying to ensure the StJ don't get any more money than they would have with all stands open and reduced prices, purely to 'teach them a lesson'? If that's the case, and I can't see any other reasoning, it's petty beyond belief.

If they really wanted to both make a point and reward their loyal fans, why not just make STs valid, or at least discounted tickets, for this game.

FWIW, I'm all for the principle of reducing prices to encourage attendance and a little disappointed at StJs stand on this as well.

timebomb
03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Am I missing something here?

It looks to me like hearts are trying to do a good thing by reducing ticket prices for a game, something that Scottish football is continually slated for by fans, then they get it tight for showing a stance against the higher price by closing a stand. Regardless of their motive, wouldn't it be great if all clubs started to give the fans a break?

I agree with you 100% and to an extent with Hearts stance.

What I would have done was move 'the away end' to the middle of the Wheatfield and charge all the Saints fans full whack and moved the Hearts fans to the cheaper seats behind the goals.

I'd have been interested to see what the Saints chaiman would have said about that.

Hibbyradge
03-12-2010, 01:01 PM

What I would have done was move 'the away end' to the middle of the Wheatfield and charge all the Saints fans full whack and moved the Hearts fans to the cheaper seats behind the goals.

I'd have been interested to see what the Saints chaiman would have said about that.

Aye. Take it out on the innocent fans.

Nice.

The Harp
03-12-2010, 01:07 PM
What's the chances of the Yams disclosing in the press, as the date for the tie approaches, that the demand for tickets is so phenomenal that they have no choice but to open all parts of the stadium? Another publicity stunt? :rolleyes:

Twa Cairpets
03-12-2010, 01:33 PM

Simple economics from the super Saintees.

Assume, say, 10,000 yams turn up regardless of ticket price, and 1000 come from Perth, all pay on average £20 quid at full whack = £220,000 gate receipts.

If you reduce the tickets to £15 quid, you need to attract an extra 3,666 people to generate the same income. Will that many people really decide to come for the sake of £5 reduction? If you half the price to an average of a tenner, the gate receipts become £174,200 on the assumption every seat is sold.

You're ST Johnstone, which route do you choose? A half empty stadium making you more money or a hostile full stadium making you less.

Given ther share will probably not be paid to them for months either, it's a no brainer if you ask me, and by the way I'd back a team doing it to Hibs as well.

Andy74
03-12-2010, 01:35 PM

If Hearts wanted to reduce prices so badly they could do it in games where they are the only party it would affect.

St Johnstone have a right to a share of this and as a big game are rightly looking to maximise their revenue from it. They have every right to refuse a request to lower the prices.

Hearts are just showing again the lack of any class or dignity that the current management of the club have.

timebomb
03-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Aye. Take it out on the innocent fans.

Nice.

Is that not exactly what the Saints chairman is doing?

Woody1985
03-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Whilst there are millions of people literally Complaining about pricing across the UK we've got people moaning that a club want to reduce prices and another wants to keep them artificially high for a ***** product.

There's dozens of people on the world cup thread that money at the top level of the game is destroying it, people slateing the epl for the vast sums of money floating around and yet think it's okay to charge 26 to watch those two **** teams. Bizarre.

I'm sure if this were hibs we wouldn't be taking st j's side in this.

Tinted specs I think.

Saorsa
03-12-2010, 02:27 PM
If Hearts wanted to reduce prices so badly they could do it in games where they are the only party it would affect.

St Johnstone have a right to a share of this and as a big game are rightly looking to maximise their revenue from it. They have every right to refuse a request to lower the prices.

Hearts are just showing again the lack of any class or dignity that the current management of the club have.:agree:

A disgusting, shady organisation :jamboclow

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2010, 02:36 PM

I think so.

Whilst there are millions of people literally Complaining about pricing across the UK we've got people moaning that a club want to reduce prices and another wants to keep them artificially high for a ***** product.

There's dozens of people on the world cup thread that money at the top level of the game is destroying it, people slateing the epl for the vast sums of money floating around and yet think it's okay to charge 26 to watch those two **** teams. Bizarre.

Tinted specs I think.

:agree: Football's too dear.

matty_f
03-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Given the crowd that the yams got for their last cup game at the pbs (under 5k, iirc), they could probably close three stands to save a bit of money.

Houchy
03-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Given the crowd that the yams got for their last cup game at the pbs (under 5k, iirc), they could probably close three stands to save a bit of money.

:tee hee::top marks Matty

Andy74
03-12-2010, 03:01 PM

No, the current pricing is what it is, he's not asking for it to go up, he is refusing to take a lower price. Clubs need the money right now and although Hearts are happy to pile up the debt other clubs have a different view.

Yes, I'm all for lowering prices but this has to be done in line with clubs reducing wages and has to be done in a collective way.

Just deciding to take a hit for a game or two isn't the way and not on a game where you have to agree with the other side on their cut of it.

It's just petty from Hearts wrapped up in a way that looks like they have been hard done by when trying to do something good.

Dashing Bob S
03-12-2010, 03:02 PM

Reminds me of the time when I wanted to build a new garage on the side of the house. The Council, in their infinite wisdom, refused me planning permission. I immediately bricked off the master bedroom in protest, sleeping in the spare room. I didn't expect any reaction from the council, and didn't get any, but it sure good felt good registering the protest. Way to go Yams!

Part/Time Supporter
03-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Tinted specs I think.

If Hearts are that worried about their poor supporters, why don't they cut prices for league games?

Oh silly me, they don't have to split that revenue with the visiting team.

Dashing Bob S
03-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Hearts are just showing again the lack of any class or dignity that the current management of the club have.

I think that's a wee bit unfair. The way I see it, it's a bit off to blame the current management for a problem that has been endemic to the club since 1874.

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Reminds me of the time when I wanted to build a new garage on the side of the house. The Council, in their infinite wisdom, refused me planning permission. I immediately bricked off the master bedroom in protest, sleeping in the spare room. I didn't expect any reaction from the council, and didn't get any, but it sure good felt good registering the protest. Way to go Yams!

:thumbsup:

If Hearts are that worried about their poor supporters, why don't they cut prices for league games?

Season ticket holders would be up in arms at this - you see what it's like on here when there's an incentive added to paying at the gate.

I assume they're trying to reduce the ticket price to get more fans in the ground not trying to shaft St Johnstone.

HenryMonk
03-12-2010, 03:17 PM

or look at it the other way, 90% of the supporters will be hearts fans, so nae skin of st'j's chairmans nose. and shutting wheatfeild saves money and thos more money to st'j's.

bet if tie was at st johnstones ground the st'js chairman wouldnt suggest a reduction in price!!

Geo_1875
03-12-2010, 03:34 PM
People going on about reducing prices are missing the point. Yams pay less on average than any other SPL team. You can get into the PBS for £9 for a Cat B game. They often do buy one get one free. They also sell tickets for all games well in advance. They'll do anything to get money in the bank. Makes you wonder why they won't pay their bills.

Part/Time Supporter
03-12-2010, 03:34 PM
or look at it the other way, 90% of the supporters will be hearts fans, so nae skin of st'j's chairmans nose. and shutting wheatfeild saves money and thos more money to st'j's.

bet if tie was at st johnstones ground the st'js chairman wouldnt suggest a reduction in price!!

It is skin off his nose. Cup tie revenues are split 50/50 after costs.

Brown may also look at it from the aspect that a smaller crowd will give his team a better chance of progressing. Its not like they're some part-time club going for a big day out.

Woody1985
03-12-2010, 03:38 PM

You could use Andy's arguement for this. The clubs need to reduce outgoings and can't afford to reduce st prices. These are probably seen as bonus games and shouldn't be treated as lifelines to clubs tryin to screw every penny they can out of the fans.

I would agree with Andy that the clubs need the money just now but would highlight that so do the fans. A lot of people will be hard up just now and asking for 26 to watch two **** teams play against each other is a joke.

Again, we have people moaning the league is boring because of the amount of times we play each other then when a club tries to give incentive to come and see what will be one of the 4 or 5 times they'll play each other they get it tight.

I'd feel more comfortable if it wasn't hearts doing an apparent good deed but sometimes you need to look at things objectively.

Look at it this way. You're talking 130 quid to watch those two teams play 5 times, before travel expenses. Would you not feel shafted?

It's the hardcore support of fans that get hit the hardest.

greenginger
03-12-2010, 08:23 PM

Had a look at the KB. thread on this. Seems someone on there E - mailed the PBS and got a call back from some no-count who explained St. J.'s argument.

First that heart's average home gate is 15,000 therefor there is no need to reduce prices.-------- Looks like all those dodgy attendances at the PBS have come back
to bite them.:greengrin

Also the no-count infers that St. J. don't trust them to give them an accurate gate-share. How could they ever have suspected such a thing.

Toaods
03-12-2010, 08:36 PM

...or their oldest fans are 12 yo...:cool2:

StevieC
04-12-2010, 03:08 PM
A crowd of 15k at £15 a head brings in £225k

A crowd of 10k at £22 a head brings in £220k

Same amount of money and 5,000 less Jambo's cheering on the team .. surely a no-brainer for the St Johnstone chairman?

forthhibby
04-12-2010, 04:39 PM
do the home side need to pay full whack into the pot for cup top ups?

eg ticket price £26, if home side have 1000 fans using cup top up, do they have to add £26k to gate receipts?

if yams have a good number of cup top ups or season tickets that include cup games, then it might explain them wanting cheaper ticket prices, they need to put less into the pot and it encourages walk up fans.

francobaresi
05-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Hang on, so if St Johnstone agree to cut prices for the game then the Wheatfield would be open! Sounds like Saints being greedy to me & hertz saying, well we aint gonna fill it so it's shut? Both losers...:confused:

matty_f
05-12-2010, 11:31 AM
A crowd of 15k at £15 a head brings in £225k

A crowd of 10k at £22 a head brings in £220k

Same amount of money and 5,000 less Jambo's cheering on the team .. surely a no-brainer for the St Johnstone chairman?

That's all well and good if the prices add an extra 5k onto the gate. It won't - the Yams' last cup tie had the prices slashed, along with a 'family friendly' earlier kick-off time, and they had less than 5k there.

degenerated
05-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Brown may also look at it from the aspect that a smaller crowd will give his team a better chance of progressing. Its not like they're some part-time club going for a big day out.

he needs it to be full whack, he has to cover the legal costs associated with getting money out of the jamtards as well making it worth their while :agree:

Part/Time Supporter
10-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Saints' actions are so unprecedented and outrageous that Killie are doing exactly the same thing to the Huns.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3269341/Ticket-or-leave-it-as-Bain-hits-out.html

I think there is a stronger case against what Killie are doing because full prices are likely to have a bigger effect on the attendance for that game, what with it being on a Monday night and live on council telly. The really daft thing is that since they can't agree prices, there isn't even going to be the small price cut that Killie had proposed.

Badge
10-12-2010, 09:19 PM

They'll get a bigger pay day in the next round against us at Easter Road. :greengrin