PDA

View Full Version : Another shot at Euros?

Dr What If?
02-12-2010, 06:05 PM
The coverage of England's failed bid has just reminded me of our failed attempt for 2008. Is it worth another shot though?
Now we would need a minimum of 12 stadia, all 30k or more. Three in Glasgow didn't help last time so should we move Hampden out of the city? What about the rest though - a new stadium in Dundee, one in Aberdeen, a borders stadium? a highland stadium? upgrade ER?
I think we could squeeze 9 out at most and then there is the need for new roads, rail, etc.
Looks unlikely but would still love to see us give it a go.

Part/Time Supporter
02-12-2010, 06:10 PM
No chance unless the SFA jointly bid with (the north of?) England.

Go for something far more realistic like a Euro under-21s first. Many of the existing grounds could hold matches for that.

Frazerbob
02-12-2010, 06:11 PM
The coverage of England's failed bid has just reminded me of our failed attempt for 2008. Is it worth another shot though?
Now we would need a minimum of 12 stadia, all 30k or more. Three in Glasgow didn't help last time so should we move Hampden out of the city? What about the rest though - a new stadium in Dundee, one in Aberdeen, a borders stadium? a highland stadium? upgrade ER?
I think we could squeeze 9 out at most and then there is the need for new roads, rail, etc.

That would need to a big trailer.

Never going to happen on our own. Maybe as a Celtic bid with Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland, especially with the increased number of finalists.

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 06:26 PM
I think there was whisperings of a joint bid with Wales a while back. That was before it was confirmed the Euros would increase in number and more stadia would be required. Even still Wales could supply 4 i would say: Millenium, Cardiff City, Swansea and a new one in say Wrexham. That would leave Scotland to find 8. 3 in Glasgow currently suitable, Murrayfield, Easter Road, Aberdeen, Dundee and Inverness. Tynecastle is a no go because the style means increasing capacity is impossible, also it doesn't meet pitch size criteria.

I would be wary of dealing with Ireland again as there indecision over Croke Park messed up the last bid.

hibeeleicester
02-12-2010, 06:34 PM

:agree:

I mentioned this on another thread, but i said we should go for the world cup :greengrin

The money it would bring in would be well worth it, it would hopefully lift the Scottish game as a whole.

A Temporary 2nd Tier could be put on the east, the corners could be done.

Sas_The_Hibby
02-12-2010, 06:51 PM

I mentioned this on another thread, but i said we should go for the world cup :greengrin

The money it would bring in would be well worth it, it would hopefully lift the Scottish game as a whole.

I've always thought Scotland was too small a country to host a World Cup.

Until the 2022 announcement today........................ :bitchy:

I bet Monaco now wish they'd put in a bid for 2018 - they'd have been a shoo-in! :wink:

Jones28
02-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Could happen

Aberdeen build new stadium
Easter Road would need upgraded
3 in Glasgow
Dundee Utd and Dundee FC build joint stadium
Upgrade Tulloch Stadium in Inverness
Murrayfield
Rugby Park wouldnt need much done, reconstruct main stand and fill the corners in
Maybe a Borders stadium?

Since90+2
02-12-2010, 08:17 PM
No chance of it every happening IMO.

Removed
02-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Could happen

3 in Glasgow
Murrayfield
Rugby Park wouldnt need much done, reconstruct main stand and fill the corners in
Maybe a Borders stadium?

So have the yams gone bust or are they in Murrayfield :greengrin

.Sean.
02-12-2010, 08:21 PM

And have an even emptier stadium in the future? No thanks.

Could happen

3 in Glasgow
Murrayfield
Maybe a Borders stadium?
The joint stadium in Dundee has been spoken about for years yet they're no further forward with it.

Upgrade Caley's stadium, then they're stuck in the future with 3000 rattling about in an empty 15000+ all-seater stadium? Same scenario with expanding Rugby Park.

A Borders stadium? What a complete waste of time that would be. What on earth would it be used for post-championships?

Scotland will never host a major international football championship and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. There's far more important things for millions, if not billions, of pounds to be spent on rather than waste it on stadia that we'd have no need for in the future.

heretoday
02-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Go for it. The euros last time was way better than the World Cup. Russia played well as I recall.

Jones28
02-12-2010, 09:57 PM
And have an even emptier stadium in the future? No thanks.

The joint stadium in Dundee has been spoken about for years yet they're no further forward with it.

Upgrade Caley's stadium, then they're stuck in the future with 3000 rattling about in an empty 15000+ all-seater stadium? Same scenario with expanding Rugby Park.

A Borders stadium? What a complete waste of time that would be. What on earth would it be used for post-championships?

Scotland will never host a major international football championship and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. There's far more important things for millions, if not billions, of pounds to be spent on rather than waste it on stadia that we'd have no need for in the future.

Why not? Why not use a major Championship to re-kindle Scottish football? Revolutionize everything: pricing; transfers; league format; punt Celtic and Rangers; bring back standing; alcohol at games; give Sky TV the boot and do it all through the BBC - creating a Global interest in the Scottish game and ultimately increasing the money in the game, it may not be as much as Sky does but look at the way Sky money has effed up Football, clubs paying millions for players they cant afford, over inflating budgets so that teams who are promoted face bigger and bigger gaps financially.

A Borders stadium for Rugby perhaps?

.Sean.
02-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Why not? Why not use a major Championship to re-kindle Scottish football? Revolutionize everything: pricing; transfers; league format; punt Celtic and Rangers; bring back standing; alcohol at games; give Sky TV the boot and do it all through the BBC - creating a Global interest in the Scottish game and ultimately increasing the money in the game, it may not be as much as Sky does but look at the way Sky money has effed up Football, clubs paying millions for players they cant afford, over inflating budgets so that teams who are promoted face bigger and bigger gaps financially. <br />
<br />
A Borders stadium for Rugby perhaps?
1. BBC wouldn't throw money at an SPL without the Old Firm.

2. The SPL don't have the baws to even make an attempt to bring back standing, nevermind having a bevvy at the game.

Dr What If?
03-12-2010, 12:37 AM
I forgot about the Jambos, they could have a 25,000 all seater in the 'Garden city, by then.
Not all stadia would have to stay at 30k, temp tiers could be built and corner sections could be cordened off to reduce stadia to more realistic sizes.

I would love to see it happen, I really do believe it could give Scottish football a real boost as well as putting Scotland and our economy back on the international map.

PS. there is already a 10k rugby stadium in the borders, problem is that is falling down. Build a 15k with temp stands up to 30k and you dont have to worry about white elephants.
PPS. never figured out why Killie wanted an 18,500 all seater that looks bloody awful in the first place. Rugby Park needs an overhaul but with the debts they have I really can't see it.

IWasThere2016
03-12-2010, 06:09 AM
I'm with .sean. and SunnyLeith on this one - there's nae need for these stadia on a recurring basis so why would we do it. Hibs with a 21k capacity is daft enough without a Killie, ICT, the Borders - even Dundee - etc have huge grounds. Total non-starter IMHO unless the criteria are re-written completely.

BigKev
03-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Is it not only 8 stadia needed? It certainly was last time out but with the competition expanding in terms of teams qualifying don't know if still applicable.

Pipedream anyway even with a joint bid from elsewhere although we'd have 6 qualifying stadium with the 3 in Glasgow, ER, Murrayfield and the new Aberdeen Arena.

Earl of Currie
03-12-2010, 07:55 AM
No chance unless the SFA jointly bid with (the north of?) England.

Go for something far more realistic like a Euro under-21s first. Many of the existing grounds could hold matches for that.

Think this is the best idea to date. Apart from the fact that Scotland are actually competitive at age group level at a world level.With the current stadia Scotland could easily hold tournaments on a regular basis without any significant investment.

Taking this one step further, cannot see why Scottish football cannot take the initiative and host their own invitation tournament ? The French have the Toulon tournament , why cant we have something similar ? Not only would it promote youth football in this country and allow the best young Scottish talent to be showcased against their peers, it would also show that Scotland could easily
host major age group tournaments.

Keith_M
03-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Where would Scotland get the money to build stadia that would be no more than white elephants after the tournament was finished? The economy is wrecked, government spending is already being reduced and we need tens of thousands of properties built for rented housing (surely a far higher priority), now that there's no way onto the property ladder for first-time-buyers.

Also, AFAIK you're only allowed a maximum of two stadia in the one city. As Hampden is a shoe in, WWIII would start when either Celtc or Rangers are told they're not getting any games. That, in a nutshell, sums up why Scottish football is, and always will be, a mess.